[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 28

File: Beholder Variants.png (308KB, 1011x656px) Image search: [Google]
Beholder Variants.png
308KB, 1011x656px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous Thread >>50072121

Beholder Variants Edition

What do you like the most about the leaked races? What do you like the least?
>>
First for Kenku
>>
Why are Goliath in Volo's guide if they are in the EE players companion?
If there is a reason, is there a reason why they didn't add the other races from it, like Genasi?
>>
File: tabaxi.jpg (431KB, 918x1632px) Image search: [Google]
tabaxi.jpg
431KB, 918x1632px
>>50077290
>What do you like the most about the leaked races?
:3
>>
>>50077290
>What do you like the most about the leaked races? What do you like the least?
I like being able to play a kobold. They've been a favorite forever.
I dislike the return of stat penalties. All they do is make certain race-class combinations nonviable without adding anything to the game.
>>
>>50077328
Because Genasi are already in a hardcover, Princes of the Apocalypse. Aaracokra aren't featured because fuck flying races.
>>
>>50077290
>>What do you like the most about the leaked races?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Bugbears.
>>
How is the new ranger? I was thinking about playing the hunter archetype.

Underdark scout seems like it had great burst potential when multiclassed with assassin. My only concern is that surprise rounds are up to the DM to incorporate. My DM kinda throws encounters at us.
>>
guys, I'm playing Curse of Stradh with a gigantic unsufferable Roll player. A real Munckin moon druid.

It's come to the point where it has started to seriously hurt my gameplay and experience, but because he kinda holds the DM by short hairs, I want to know if there's anyway I can really fuck him over in Barovia without him knowing.

I'm a predominantly social player, is there any magic item I can beat him too, a political relationship I can fuck him out of, or just, anything that tells him to fuck off with that shit?
>>
File: 1477514706940.png (109KB, 262x202px) Image search: [Google]
1477514706940.png
109KB, 262x202px
>a difference as minor as the placement of a single scale is enough for two types of beholders to consider each other abominations and to declare eternal war upon each other

I love beholders.
>>
Anyone have Yuan-Ti or lizardpeople stats yet?
>>
>>50077395
It's fuckin radical, play it immediately
>>
>>50077335
what are their stats?
>>
Fallen Aasimar. It'll fit my oathbreaker paladin perfectly.
>>
>>50077395
we talking UA ranger?
>>
File: 1478115595805.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1478115595805.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>Kenku; +2 Dex +1 Wis (may have an ability similar to ravens mimicry)
>Lizardfolk: Con +2 Wis +1 (can bite and gain temp HP, breath underwater, and swim speed?)
>Orc: Str +2 Con +1 Int -2 (Same as half-orc, and also has Aggressive from MM?)
>Tabaxi: Dex +2 Cha +1 (can move fast, and run as bonus action?)
>Triton: Str +1 Con +1 Cha +1 (rest in the image)
>Yuan-ti Pureblood: Cha +2 Int +1
>Aasimar Sub-race's stat change the +1 Wis. (can also transform for a short time, and some changes to the racial spells?)
>Protector: Wis +1
>Scourge: Con +1
>Fallen: Str +1
>>
>>50077433
Yeah, Revised Ranger from UA
>>
>>50077367
Goliath are too, so why are they here?
>>
>>50077399
Tell him to stand and fight at the Winery while you explore inside for ambushes, send him out into the open first in the Amber temple, tell him the path to Strahd's tomb is clear.
>>
Bugbears! I had high hopes for both them and hobgoblins, and I'm overjoyed that they're both it, but I'm slightly annoyed hobs can't get a primary attack ASI and only have the one (admittedly very interesting) feature.
But bugbears, oho, my body is ready, see >>50076553

>>50077375
Bugbears have always been slasher film style- huge hulking monster that's stronger than you but somehow comes out of the shadows with impossible speed.
>>
>>50077480
Goliath and Aaracokra have absolutely not been printed in a hardcover. They have, however, been printed in the Elemental Evil Player's Companion. Princes of the Apocalypse Appendix A has Genasi.
>>
>>50077470
What else do Yuan Ti get.
>>
>playing a warlock for the first time
>familiar is more useful than the actual character
>>
>>50077335
Tabaxi look pretty cool.
>>
How far should I go in fighter if I'm making a Fighter/Wizard. Level 2 for action surge? 3 for archtype? 6?
>>
>>50077485

I need a little more subterfuge, but the affairs with Stradh might be a nice idea.
Sending him out in the open is tough because he's a moonion.
>>
>>50077547
Convince the villagers that he's a were[x]?
>>
>>50077545
What do you want your character to do?
>>
>>50077290
Monster races

>What do you like the least?
My current DM won't allow monster races
>>
>>50077494
Yeah, and I think it's fantastic that their stats make that actually work. Ain't being pejorative with the ninja bugbears thing, quite the opposite in fact.
>>
>>50077470
Are fallen Aasimar flavored like 3.5 Hellbred?
>>
>>50077565
Somewhat gish. More spellcasting though
>>
>>50077547
Subterfuge is hard, and Strahd would fuck him up bad with low AC.
>>
>>50077586
Go three and grab Battle Master, rest wizard, grab Green-Flame Blade and throw maneuvers on it every now and then.
>>
>>50077524
>Need someone too sneak
>Rogue thinks it's their time to shine
>My imp can turn invisible and fly
>>
>>50077524
You must be a really bad player.
>>
>>50077409
Really? That's good to hear. What's it play like?
>>
>>50077606
We're doing just the PHB.
>>
Anyone have suggestions for puzzles and non combat things I can have my pcs do in a dungeon? I'm hitting a writer's block
>>
>>50077636
It plays like a sick awesome nature bro that's able to reliably do rad damage to favored enemies and pretty good damage to everything else.
>>
>>50077599

good. I hope he kills that motherfucker
>>
>>50077639
Well, that's your GM's perogative then.
>>
File: hmm tea.png (74KB, 662x635px) Image search: [Google]
hmm tea.png
74KB, 662x635px
In practice, how well does the limit of three attuned magic items work out? Is three a good limit to prevent the christmas tree effect the 3.PF had?

When designing a custom magic item, how do you determine whether or not it requires attunement?
>>
>>50077399
>Help me fuck with this druid in a CoS game.
No. Not then. Not now. Not again.
>>
>>50077651

riddles are nice.

My favorite is one where they have to toast with an enchanted bottle to get past a wailing wall of force.

The toast however has to be made in order by the people who most represent the specific values of the order of knights to whom this demon whom they came to slay was a sworn enemy
>>
>>50077335
I like the potential return of the Tabaxi's masked grappling war-priests
>>
>>50077687

I think it generally works out. Very high level characters end up customizing their daily loadouts with magic items.

As for how to decide if it requirs attunement, it's hard to say. Generally speaking, things that are direct power buffs (weapons, staves, things that boost characters directly) require attunement. The non-attunement things are usually utility items but not always.
>>
>>50077651
Borrow them from other adventures
Part 7 of Rise of Tiamat has quite a few
>>
>>50077335
Goblins seem neat, and I look forward to Kobolds and Hobgoblins being available options.

I'll need to see more of them to see how I feel.
>>
>>50077626
>le ebin invisibility works like 3.5 maymay
What is he sneaking past that doesn't hear the rapid batting of wings?
>>
>>50077290
>player chooses to be a goblin
>ok.png
>encounters a nilbog
>>
>>50077586
I would just go 2 in fighter then. You can always take the third level at a later point, but I suspect you won't want to get farther behind in spellcasting.
>>
>>50077651
Take ideas from any other game you know that they don't. Like, make them solve the temple of light from runescape. You have a single beam of light coming down to a pillar, and enough crystals scattered around the place to split it into multiple beams that you can further redirect and color until it reaches the main focus which opens an impenetrable wall of light when the right beams meet up.
>>
>>50077796
I just meant it can get to places the rogue might not be able to
>>
>>50077586
imo 2 levels in fighter is the sweet spot, 3 if you want Battlemaster / EK features.
2 levels nets you armor/weapon proficiency, fighting style, second wind, and action surge.
3 levels nets you battlemaster maneuvers, which are pretty damn good. I recommend Parry, Pushing Attack, Precision Attack.

Take Divination wizard if you want to piss your DM off, Conjuration if you want to be more reasonable about it, or Evocation if you just wanna blow stuff up. I'd recommend Bladesinger, but if you're allowed to go Bladesinger you might as well eschew fighter levels altogether because it nullifies the primary benefit.
>>
>>50077857
>EK
ignore that part. I suffered from temporary retardation when I put that in my post.
>>
>>50077857
What about abjuration?
>>
>>50077865
Eh, currently enjoying an EK/Bladesinger build (going 18/2) since I wanted a fighter with tricks, but can see why some don't like EK overall
>>
Yuan-Ti are probably the strongest race now.

-+2 Cha

-+1 Int

-Darkvision 60

-Move 30

-Poison Immunity

-Poison Spray Cantrip

-Suggestion (1x long rest)

-Unlimited Animal Friendship with snakes

And, wait for it....

Magic resistance on saving throws. Holy shit they're strong.
>>
File: tabaxi rogue.jpg (366KB, 1000x1412px) Image search: [Google]
tabaxi rogue.jpg
366KB, 1000x1412px
Rate my tabaxi character, /5eg/
>>
>>50077626
>Just have it use the help action every turn.
>still more useful than Beastmaster's Wolf.
>>
>>50077968
what were you expecting? they're magic snake people, the chosen of their dark god

of course they're better that regular humans and halflings and shit, why wouldn't they be?
>>
>>50078000

Well sure I figured they'd be strong (or rather hoped for it). Intrinsic spell resistance is way more than I was expecting though.
>>

they make it easy to identify the faggots that use them

>What do you like the least?

their existence being the nail in the coffin for my respect for wizards
>>
>>50078037
What do you consider to be a good race?
>>
>>50077968
That's crazy. Can't wait to play a Warlock or Sorcerer.

Will there be any new classes / archetypes / backgrounds / spells in this book?
>>
>>50078113

Yea I was going to roll a tiefling warlock (yea yea overdone whatever) but might change to Yuan Ti. Mini works fine either way. No new class stuff as far as I know it's just new player races.
>>
>>50078016
Honestly, spell resistance and +2 to a stat would make them the strongest race so far by itself.
>>
>>50078101
humans

only
>>
>>50078113
>Will there be any new classes / archetypes / backgrounds / spells in this book?
doubt it though rumors say eailish next year we are get another book for player that add a whole bunch of new content I'm guessing the finished redone Ranger and Mystic in print as examples.
>>
>>50078037
Playable monster races have been around literally forever, even before WotC.
>>
>>50078156
>playing human in a fantasy game

I'm sorry your parents fucked up so bad.
>>
Cleric/Druid Multiclass: Can it work?
>>
>>50078176
>doubt it though rumors say earlish next year we are get another book for players that add a whole bunch of new content I'm guessing the finished redone Ranger and Mystic in print as examples.
>>
>>50078176
Speaking of the mystic, aren't we getting take 3 on monday?
>>
>>50078181
Most of my characters are humans just because of the free feat.
>>
>>50078181
>playing nonhumans

sorry you're too retarded to play actual characters instead of caricatures
>>
>>50077704

Catholic luchedore cat people?
>>
>>50078204
Should be, yep.
>>
>>50078212
This is exactly why I ban variant human in my games, and voluntarily ban it for myself when I play in other games.
>>
>>50078214
>Implying people don't play humans as caricatures
>>
>>50078245
Senpai, the reason that humans get a free feat is because wotc is trying to make it so humans are worth playing
>>
>>50078265
Humans were one of the best races in 3.5, and are still one of the best races in PF, because of the bonus feat. The first time I DMed, 5 of my 6 players were variant humans. They're not a good choice, they're a good choice for literally everything, which is bad IMO.

You're free to do as you like, but if I ever play in one of your games I'm still considering them banned for myself.
>>
>>50078245
Well in that case I would literally never play humans ever. The base version is unacceptably bad.
>>
>>50078261
>implying racial choice determines the quality of someone's roleplay ability
>>
>>50078287
That kind of DM is going to railroad stuff based on your race constantly. It's a way for the DM to dictate how you should act and to make NPCs hate you for no reason.
>>
Speaking of riddles, I'm trying to come up with one involving a Galeb Duhr. In this place suffused with wild magic, a boulder eventually developed sentience and now believes he exists to protect this room and prevent people from passing through. Since I don't want this to be a combat encounter, what kind of puzzle or riddle could I have for my players to get past it?
>>
>>50078297
How is taking out v. human indicative of race-based railroading whatsoever?
>>
>>50078287
I'm considering changing the base human ability scores to +2 to any 2 stats, and potentially a bonus skill proficiency. I agree that baseline human is bad - it's just that the variant is too good.
>>
>>50078324
>>50078288
>>50078287
>>50078281
>>50078265

why not vistani human as a variant, or something like revenant. they chould have made them interesting and good. choosing where your asi goes is already nice
>>
>>50078303
>Hey dumdum, bring me gumgum

then the players would need to bring him gum
>>
>>50078363
I've never seen the vistani human and don't know what that is.
Revenant is dumb.
>>
File: 1457123831384.jpg (134KB, 601x500px) Image search: [Google]
1457123831384.jpg
134KB, 601x500px
>>50077335
>>
>>50077417
+2 Dex, +1 Cha fwih
>>
So one of my players has a character who absolutely refuses to use magical items of any kind.

How do I work around that and provide good non-magical stuff so they aren't completely gimping themselves power-wise in comparison to the rest of the party, who are laden with magical items of ridiculous power?
>>
>>50078446
Make it out of special materials, like adamantite or mithral weapons and armor. While they list it under the magic item sections, technically they're just special materials that aren't really enchanted or anything.
>>
>>50078446
Items made from special materials that grant non-flashy bonuses and count as magic behind the scenes.

A mithral sword that has the finesse property no matter it's size (and bypasses magical resistance by virtue of being mithral), adamantine armor that grants resistance to nonmagical weapon damage, stuff like that. If you/your player consider potions nonmagical (alchemy is basically magic in-game anyhow), that also opens up more options.
>>
>>50078324
You don't want anyone playing humans if you eliminate variant. The only reason to want people to play non-humans boils down to "humans are boring and not special enough," which means you care way too much about PC races.
>>
>>50078204
yes apparently take 3 will have all the options and will be the last one before the final version.
>>
>>50077290
What do I like? That they actually did try to give us playable monsters in it. I'm particularly interested in seeing the Kobold, the return of the long-lost Tabaxi, and even the Triton and Yuan-ti Pureblood, even if I'll probably reskin the latter in my own settings.

Like the least? Easy; the return of racial ability score penalties. They fucking sucked in 3e and 4e should be sainted for shanking that idea and painting a mosaic with its blood. The kobold's precise ability score layout, where it gets a Strength penalty AND sunlight sensitivity AND a power that relies on being a sniveling, groveling coward, fluff-wise, is a very close second.

Seriously, I love kobolds, I got big plans for them in my homebrew world, but this crunch is completely useless for them. I'll stick to tweaking my own homebrew for crunch... just wish I could decide between variant traits ala Tiefling or subraces, though.
>>
>>50077470

Am I the only one who thinks this shit is utterly fucking ridiculous? Super reach, extra damage for free and disengages for free, free pluses just because. This shit's fucking good, what the fuck were they thinking?
>>
Is there a way to make STR-based bladesinger? Dex-based pretty much force you to use Rapier which is a little bit boring...
>>
>>50078446
Use mundane items which enhance their existing weapons - Take something like Oil of Sharpness, maybe fluff it as a Stone of Sharpening.
>>
>>50077968
...Magic Resistance? For a PC Race?

...Holy. Fuck. I got chewed out when I suggested a Derro PC race might have something similar, and now WoTC comes along and gives us an official Magic Resistant race? The fuck? Seriously?
>>
>>50078566
Convince your DM to let you play a Dwarf for it instead? It being elf only pretty much means dex is the far easier option.
>>
>>50077290
So, considering switching from Pathfinder to 5e.

Couple things I'd like to bring up.

>1. Is ranger as terrible as I've been hearing? Is there a decent fix for that?
>2. Bonuses cap at +6? Isn't that too low/ too swingy?

For those of you who played Pathfinder before 5e:

Aside from a reduced number of trap options, what does 5e bring to the table? Is it as crazy swingy as it sounds?

How does the reduced numbers curve work out at mid to higher levels?
>>
>>50077886
I mean, if you like having a 1 hp temporary health shield every long rest, sure.

>>50077963
The problem with EK is that you get way more from Battlemaster. All EK really does is save you a few spell slots for shield. Plus, bladesinger wastes the armor proficiency of fighter.
>>
>>50078554
And yet none are significantly better than the PHB races. People will still play variant humans, elves, half-elves, dwarves, halflings, etc.

Half-orcs are the only ones who really got replaced from a min-max standpoint. From a roleplay standpoint, most of these new races come with baggage.
>>
>>50078546
We were thinking about this a bit in the last thread. What I came up with (and was liked by at least one anon) was this:

First, remove the -2 strength penalty. Remove the int penalty from orcs while you're at it, even though this isn't about them.

Add 2 subraces:
Trapsmith kobolds exemplify their race's ingenuity and engineering talent. They have +1 int, advantage on saving throws vs. traps, and traps have disadvantage on attack rolls against them.

Dragonsworn kobolds exemplify their race's draconic lineage. They have +1 charisma and gain a +1 bonus to their AC while unarmored (intended to stack with barb/monk/dragon sorc).

Dunno about the groveling ability - maybe something playing up the draconic pride aspect? Take an action to target an opponent within 10 feet, that opponent has disadvantage if they target anyone but you, recharge on short rest?
>>
>>50078612
Rangers aren't very good. They're still usable, but you'd want to look at the Unearthed Arcana version for something better.

Proficiency for levels scales from 2 to 6, but that combined with ability modifiers.

At level 1 you might be looking at a +5 to hit, while at max level it's +11. It isn't as swingy as you think, since AC is scaled properly to compensate, but basically it means that lower and higher level enemies still have a decent chance to get hit by and hit you. The main factor is damage. While a level 1 kobold can still hit you at level 20, it's not going to be doing a lot of damage.
>>
>>50078639
I like this. Or you can just reflavor the groveling into boasting or something like that as well.
>>
>>50078612
Ancient Red Dragon in 5e only has 22 AC, compare to 38 AC in pathfinder.

+6 is fine. Bound accuracy is real.
>>
>>50078639
I would say to ditch the groveling ability entirely and give them extra AC against opportunity attacks to represent being good at scampering away. Maybe proficiency in Acrobatics as well to go with it.
>>
>>50078645
>They can hit you, but they won't hit very hard.

Hmm. Okay, good to know.

What is there for combat pet options?
>>
File: 3.PF vs. 5e.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
3.PF vs. 5e.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50078612
Check file related.

>1. Is ranger as terrible as I've been hearing? Is there a decent fix for that?
It's pretty bad, but revised ranger released two months ago fixes most people's gripes with it. It's bit front-loaded but still fine.

>2. Bonuses cap at +6? Isn't that too low/ too swingy?
The actual cap is like +17, but +11 for most (+5 from stat, +6 from proficiency). It's neither too low nor too "swingy."

And the reduced numbers growth works really well in-practice.
>>
>>50078612

>Ranger

Hunter rangers are okay, beastmasters are trash in the PHB. However they released a revised ranger that is VERY strong, and will likely be official sometime in the future.

>Bonuses

The system uses bounded accuracy so it's not that swingy to me. Success and failure happen at all levels and it makes things like even a +1 sword feel very strong.

>Aside from a reduced number of trap options, what does 5e bring to the table? Is it as crazy swingy as it sounds?

As a player? I like that it's much more streamlined and for the most part, bar a few stinkers, really balanced. I don't feel like I took a 'trap' option or seriously fucked up my whole character at any point. I also like that I don't need to fastidiously plan out stuff like feat progression in order to design my character, and that feats are now few in number but for the most part very powerful at what they do.

>How does the reduced numbers curve work out at mid to higher levels?

Works out fine so far. I haven't done super high play but as you climb higher in the levels your character feels more and more distinct from the others. E.g. making a reflex save as a fighter vs. a monk is relatively minor at level 2, but by level 8 there's serious differences in who is good at what.
>>
>>50078694
The Unearthed Arcana ranger can get different animal companions. It's typically low-level beasts, but they scale up as you level.

The core beastmaster ranger had the math off with it so pets weren't very good, but the UA one should be right up your alley.
>>
>>50078690
Proficiency bonus to ac v. opportunity attacks? Or is that too powerful?

>>50078694
Well necromancy is still a thing, and beastmaster ranger is good for pet combat/mounted combat if you use the UA variant. Chain pact warlocks can do some shenanigans with familiars, but that's less direct combat and more helping allies.
>>
>>50078303

Boulder will not pass over water so players spill water on the ground to isolate the boulder.

Not a great idea but that's all I got.
>>
>>50078694
Beastmaster Ranger and Pact of the Chain Warlock are the only two ways to have combat oriented "pets", the UA ranger is good, just watch out for min/maxers who try and use it in unintended ways UA classes are not designed/balanced for multiclassing until actual releases, Pact of the Chain is fine but the combat aspect isn't the draw.

Summoning is reasonably strong, but make sure the DM KNOWS how it works, its entirely intended to NOT allow shenanigans like 8 polymorphing pixies.
>>
>>50078721
Animate dead only get you humanoid skeleton though. Instead of Skeleton Dragon / Demon like in the older edition
>>
>>50078639
Huh, interesting. My original version before this debacle went with three subraces.

Core crunch: +2 Dex, Small, normal speed, sunlight sensitivity and a watered-down Pack Tactics (you can use Help as a reaction when within 5 feet of an ally).

Groundling: +1 Con, Tinker (as per Rock Gnomes), Trapmaster (free Thieves Tools proficiency, Advantage on checks to find traps, Expertise when disarming traps)

Winged: +1 Str, Fly 30ft (light armor only), free proficiency with simple ranged weapons and javelins

Mystic: +1 Charisma and the cantrip/1st level/2nd level spell-like ability setup (Blade Ward, Chromatic Orb, Levitate) based on Charisma.

I tried to cook up some feats to further boost all three subraces, but general feedback on here was that they were overpowered.
>>
>>50078721
Proficiency might be too much. Half-proficiency might work well though. +1 early on is fair, and scaling up to +3 helps it stay relevant as opportunity attacks get less dangerous.
>>
>>50078745
9th level slots can get you 2 mummies off of Create Undead, which is the highest you get.
>>
>>50078303

Or have an item on an altar in the middle of the room. The boulder guards the item and will only charge after the player with the item. Players must either escape the boulder or return the item to the altar.
>>
>>50078495
What about campaigns where the DM chooses not to use feats at all?
>>
>>50078795
Make variant human the only way to a acquire a feat. The feat is the human's racial that makes it not just a pile of +1s.
>>
File: Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg (40KB, 248x300px) Image search: [Google]
Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg
40KB, 248x300px
>>50078446
Gun and other steampunk tech.

We Arcanum now.
>>
>>50078566
Half-Elf with bonuses to STR and Int?
>>
>>50078566
Ask your DM about being a non-elf. If that's allowed, mountain dwarf can skald it up as a bloadesinger pretty well.
>>
What would happen if a Beholder had nightmares of Mindflayers ceremorphising it into a mindwitness?
>>
So I'm okay with most of the new race stuff, but the Goblin feels like it could use a little more of something. Anyone else think Goblins are just a bit too empty?
>>
>>50078977
Straight +damage as a racial is nutty yo.
>>
>>50078903
It would birth a new beholder that looked like a mindwitness, immediately hate it for its looks and try to kill it.
>>
>>50078977
No, they get two thirds of the coolest rogue feature as a racial. They're pretty damn cool.
>>
>>50078977

They get (most of) the rogue cunning action for free, and can just give themselves more damage against a creature, that's all pretty good.
>>
>>50078763
> implying level 17+ game is real and not myth
>>
>>50079030
Running one of those right now. It has been going for a year and started at level 3.
>>
>>50078886
> D6
> no heavy armor
>>
>>50079020
>>50079018
Oh shit, you're right. I don't know how I misread Nimble Escape.

Now to convince my DM to let me scale down a Worg's stats so I can play a Goblin Ranger...
>>
>>50079049
Just use a wolf's stat block and flavor it as a worg.
>>
>>50079049
Just take a wolf and call it a worg. As a small race, you can ride a medium creature.
>>
>>50079049
just use a wolf and fluff it as a particularly runty worg
>>
Why are we talking about race? The real stuff in the book is how moon druid will get COW and DOLPHIN form! thanks WotC, we really need that.
>>
File: 1475807941442.jpg (50KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
1475807941442.jpg
50KB, 640x478px
Welcome to the 5mind, we've got fun and games.

>>50079049
>>50079062
>>50079063
>>50079065
>>
>>50079062
>>50079063
>>50079065

>hivemind
>>
>>50079066
Nah man, biggest reveal is that FLAIL SNAILS ARE BACK!
>>
>>50079047
we mage armor senpai

That being said you gonna be MAD AF and you can't dump dex
>>
>>50079074
The only option I can see is to take a level in Fighter or something first just for armor. That can let you ignore dex more comfortably.
>>
>>50078554
It's not listed as a "racial option" in the table of contents so DMs can easily deny it to players. I personally would depending on the party and campaign.
>>
> Bladesinger
> can't wear Elven chain and blade sing
Why would they do this?
>>
>>50079062
>>50079063
>>50079065
>>50079066
>>50079070
....Yes, well that'd be the easy way and of course I can't just think of that first.
>>
>>50079106
Because elf players are mostly faggots.
>>
>>50079094
I was gonna say that, but then I realize they can't use bladesong while wearing medium or heavy armor.

It's pretty sad since they talk about different bladesinger school, using axe and polearm... but mechanically, those guy just suck.
>>
>>50079096
I'd probably deny most of the goblinoids and kobolds. They seem kinda unbalanced and don't have a lot of flavor to it.

Bugbear is pretty much only useful for a min-max reach weapon or grapple build. Goblin is basically Rogue, the race, and saves you the two level dip. Hobgoblin is only really useful for a Wizard in terms of effects, and Kobold is kind just bad with sunlight sensitivity, a strength penalty, and not much going for it.

The goblins all seem like they're just mechanics packages for optimizing, and the Kobold just seems like a joke.
>>
File: 489CmjT.jpg (100KB, 614x491px) Image search: [Google]
489CmjT.jpg
100KB, 614x491px
Today we picked up in the middle of a dungeon. The party didn't know they'd killed everything already and I wanted to spice things up so I throw a Gelatinous Cube in a hallway.

>mfw the barbarian and the warlock say "we open that door down the hall we heard screams from before

I fucking love being a DM sometimes.
>>
>>50079030
I wouldn't assume you'd ever plan for it, but create undead DOES function before that, its just mummies are the spells cap.
>>
>>50079096
This, the monster race stats are amazing in that they make it easy to set up a campaign utilizing them, not so much that they are expected to be suitable for any given game.
>>
>>50079116
So Half-elf players are mostly bisexual then?
>>
>>50079138

While the beg and grovel thing is a joke A) it makes you a lethal joke character (advantage for your whole team? Pair it up with an Aasimar fighter in super saiyan mode and watch an enemy just melt) and B) pack tactics is incredibly strong on a PC. Kobolds are stronk as fuck and basically the ideal rogue race.

And Hobgoblins are interesting and have at least a niche build as "fuck with all the dice all the time: the game"
>>
>>50079121
Right, I had forgotten about that.

There aren't really any good options to shore up AC then. Light armor isn't even worth it compared to mage armor. All of the options available basically require Dex in some fashion.
>>
>>50079138
Out of the ones on the list, I would probably only allow hobgoblins, probably because I can't think of any broken builds using those stats and features. I mean if you're gonna go wizard with sword, the best is either a level dip into fighter or bladesinger.

And I'm a sucker for the Japanese Spartan mix that hobgoblins seem to be shaped after. Ninjas and shit.
>>
>>50079185

Yea as TreantMonk pointed out Bladesinger is actually a great archetpye.... for a wizard standing in the back. Kind of weak on its own though it might find new legs with some of the Volo races, particularly goblins solving one of their biggest issues.
>>
>>50079181
Yeah, that's why it feels odd. It's just a bunch of weird niche things instead of something that feels like a fleshed out race. Like Hobgoblins don't even get what Elves and Dwarves get with proficiency in specific racial weapons, they just get any two you want.

>>50079186
Yeah, Hobgoblin isn't really overpowered, so it's kind of fine to allow. It just feels like it isn't going to be as useful for those sorts of characters they're theming it after. Spartans and Ninjas scream Fighter and Rogue, but even those pretty much beg you to go into the arcane subclass to make use of int.
>>
>>50079204
Goblin? That's nothing. Hobgoblins are perfect for it, light armor, con and int increase. You even start off using the weapon of choice instead of being forced to wait until level 2. Alternatively, Bugbears can strike from a distance, letting them use whatever weapon they want while being in less danger.
>>
>>50079231

I say goblin because, IMO, being able to disengage from melee as a bonus action lets them get the fuck away from things that want to hurt them solving one of the biggest problems bladesingers face. I think there's a lot of valid races for singers now, but goblins are very strongly positioned to take it. They even get racial bonuses to two great stats (dex and con).
>>
Are they going to make a warlord class? If not, any good home Brew?
>>
>Hobgoblins, the race about tactics and group warfare that gets a bonus to con and int, have a group of shadow monks
>Bugbears, the race about striking and terrorizing from the shadows and being slippery despite massive size and gets a dexterity bonus, does not
I mean I appreciate the hot hobgoblin art but c'mon.
>>
>>50079153
You're a fag.

Gelatinous cube with the idea "LOL THEY DIDN'T SAY THEY CHECK THIS SPECIFIC SPOT" is fucking retarded and if you just throw them wherever you want without players having any option to check (unless they perception every 5') you should feel bad.
>>
So I was trying to come up with a magical item to put in a campaign that I don't really see any parallels to in the DMG, so I thought I might ask you guys, is it against the spirit of the game to make a magical sword that can be used to make a ranged magical attack, like something out of the Legend of Zelda? All I see in the DMG is swords that have some bonus damage type on melee attacks, or one that can become a flying sword, but no ranged magical attacks.
>>
>>50077290
Would it break anything to give stat bonuses AND feats?
>>
>>50079262
Fair enough, i just think the stats and armor make for more what people seem to have WANTED from bladesinger, while the goblin feels like the bladesinger that we HAVE, but with a nice bonus
>>
>>50078446
>how do i make it so someone who is gimping themselves isnt gimping themselves?

Take them on a journey of self-discovery so they learn to appreciate magical power.
>>
>>50079291
It's pretty powerful, but not really out of line. A longsword that can be used to cast a level 1 eldritch blast isn't game-breaking if it still keys off of charisma for the spell part.
>>
>>50079273
>Hobgoblins, the race about tactics
make sense they would have figured out the advantages of have good scouter, skirmishers and assassins/spec ops.
>>
>>50079179
Well I do enjoy both girl and boy parts and I've only played half-elves when I'm not DMing.
>>
>>50079301
It would increase the power level of a given campaign by a fuck-ton for sure (especially with GWM and Sharpshooter not slowing ASI progression), but if you account for that by throwing stronger enemies at them it should be fine.
>>
Are bugbears actually that strong?
>Grappling
You can try to grab them from slightly further away, but it says nothing about pulling them towards you, and unless you move close the grapple aught to end when your turn does since they are out of your no longer extended reach.
The only major benefit it has is letting you hit try to attack things and be able to freely walk away without entering their reach, which also means they don't need to fear your Opportunity Attacks.
Yeah, "super reach" with a polearm is a possibility, but what advantage does that really give that a ranged weapon already wouldn't?
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the fact it can be used with melee spell attacks. That could be pretty damned useful. It even applies to Spiritual Weapon, so you can have a Spiritual Polearm.
>>
>>50079318
>eldritch blast
I actually wasn't even thinking that powerful. Like, a d6 of damage
>if it still keys off of charisma for the spell part.
Would you suggest that?
>>
>>50079271
Not clear if they are, though I think I've seen some homebrew floating around.

It probably wouldn't be hard to homebrew one out of Battlemaster manuevers, the Banneret Fighter, and the Mastermind rogue. You'd need to mix and match features to get something usable but it could work.

Big thing I see is that you'd want commander's strike to have many more dice available, but probably of a smaller size.
>>
>>50079366
Making sure the magical attack keys off a casting stat keeps it from being strictly superior to a ranged weapon like a bow (an option for finesse characters) and also keeps the 'it's magical' flavor, at least if you ask me.

Nerfing the damage down to a d6 is probably advisable as well.
>>
>>50079291
Whether or not it's against the spirit of the game is up to you as the DM.

I would think of such a weapon's mechanics being similar to a magically returning thrown weapon.
>>
>>50079362
They're not overpowered, but they're certainly not bad.
>>
File: Merasmus.png (1MB, 1070x654px) Image search: [Google]
Merasmus.png
1MB, 1070x654px
So I'm making a warlock that gets a totally of 10 cantrips by taking magic initiate, undying patron, and pact of the tome. My plan is to take message, dancing lights, shillelagh, vicious mockery, guidance, eldritch blast, friends, minor illusion, spare the dying, and mage hand. Does this seem like a good spread? Should I switch out mage hand for chill touch when I pick up the unseen servant ritual or take chill touch instead of friends?
>>
>>50079410
Good call.
>>
>>50079423
I would personally ditch Spare the dying, but you've got 3 different options for attack cantrips. Not sure how much you need chill touch.
>>
>>50079410
Alternatively, having it do the weapons damage, but force, using the weapons attack roll but no +damage from stats makes sense to me, and seems fine as long as ranges are properly defined, something like 30/60.
>>
>>50079434
spare the dying is free with the undying patron, so it's not an option to drop. The main draw to chill touch is keeping an enemy from healing which provides a little utility with damage.
>>
>>50079306

Yea that's fair. Like I said, I think plenty of the racial choices offer very interesting blade singer builds now.
>>
I need them Aasimar. When this book coming out again?
>>
File: uwotthen.png (278KB, 627x704px) Image search: [Google]
uwotthen.png
278KB, 627x704px
>>50078446
>who are laden with magical items of ridiculous power?
Huh? Most magic items are vendor trash that you can't sell. Unless you've been showering your players with Flame Tongues and Fireball Necklaces, that sounds like a pretty big exaggeration.
And in addition to the things other anons have suggested, make nonmagical gadgets and items for him to use as well. He finds a hookshot in a dungeon that keys off of his main stat, or he notices a shop in town that's selling throwing bombs for an affordable price.
>>
>>50079442
That's actually not a bad option. Kind of an anime air slash thing, which isn't necessarily bad.
>>
>>50079498
Tomorrow or two days from now.
>>
>>50079204
It's actually great for frontliner if you're playing Dex-based one. Mage armor + Shield + Blur + Mirror Image and all those defense buff.
>>
My player wants to make a gauntlet he can use as a shield. I've hashed it out with him, and he wants it to provide a shield bonus while letting him hold simple items: a potion, a torch, some rope, or manipulate simple things like doors and such. It won't be dexterous enough to allow him to wield a second weapon.

About what level and what approximate cost should this thing be?
>>
File: Ralph.jpg (8KB, 269x202px) Image search: [Google]
Ralph.jpg
8KB, 269x202px
>>50079498
Sucks to your aasimar!
>>
Does anyone think rescuing Drizt from an Underdark insane asylum run by a renegade mindflayer sounds like fun?
>>
>>50079538
Can he grapple with it?
>>
>>50079504
Actually considered that one. Might go with that. I think I'll also limit it to a certain number of charges per day.
>>
>>50079538
Uncommon magic item
>>
>>50079573
No. Maybe a way higher level variant could, but the basic version is just too bulky.
>>
>>50079289
Chill out buddy, they did in fact check the corridor for things but all failed the DC to spot the cube before walking face first into it. They had plenty of warning too, between the cavern walls being rather moist and previously hearing a fleeing goblin screaming when it went that way. They even took the time to cast Detect Magic and Find Traps, neither of which was actually applicable for the hallway.

All I did was change some green slime into a cube to give them an interesting encounter. It wasn't even a corridor they absolutely needed to go down.
>>
can unseen servants move vertically? Can mage hand move vertically?
>>
>>50079538
I'd say aroundish level 3 or so. It's a useful ribbon, but not terribly crazy. Might be really good for a swordmage I guess, unless you want to nip the whole spellcasting with it thing in the butt.

Retractable Shield Gauntlet.
I'd say 500 gold would be fair. 50 gold for each syllable beyond the first, +100 gold for each extra word beyond the first. My go to rule for tinkering. If he wants magical out of it, that's going to be at least 1000 tacked on.
>>
>>50079650
Unseen servants are basically the shape of a person, so I would say they'd be rather bound to a surface. They'd need a ladder to climb like anyone else.

Mage hand can just float, so you could have it reach up and grab stuff as long as it stays in range and is light enough.
>>
>>50079606
>Goblin went this way, into cube
>No corpse/bones in jelly to give away position
How about YOU chill
>>
>>50079650
Spell description says they can do simple tasks a human could do, so I don't think that includes flight.
>>
>>50077470
Anyone got any other pages?
>>
>>50079692
>Party took a rest after hearing the scream but before seeing the cube

Let me guess, at a rate of 6d6 acid per round, you're gonna tell me it can't digest a gobbo in time?

Calm your hobgobs broseph. You're clearly very invested in painting me as a shit DM, but maybe consider that you don't know all the facts here.
>>
>>50079708
I feel like a druggy. I need more, MORE!
>>
Is magehand worth the slot?
>>
>>50079777
Dude, bones last in gelatinous cubes for a while. There's plenty of art of skeletons with equipment floating inside of them.

If the goblin had any metal on him, that would have lingered as well. Gelatinous cubes mostly just digest soft organic stuff. Otherwise, they would just eat through the floor. How would it digest the bones that quickly but not burn a pit where it was sitting?
>>
>>50079863
Its a decent cantrip.
What do you have so far?
>>
>>50079892
Chill Touch and minor illusion. Are there any higher level spells that make magehand obsolete?
>>
Volo scans when?
>>
>>50079958
mage hand is a fantastic cantrip, unseen servant can replace it
>>
>>50079958
I'd go light if someone in the party doesn't have darkvision and you don't have a cleric that can take it. If light isn't required, then mage hand should be fine. Other cantrips have their uses, but minor illusion, light and mage hand are probably the top non-combat ones for me.
>>
Kenku can good or neutral correct?
>>
How's Light Cleric? It's look like a Blasty McBlast, without actual good blasting cantrip.
>>
>>50078554
Monster races have poor influence in civilization, there's always that. They have deal with that oppression n' shiet and no one takes them seriously unless they can kick some serious ass.
>>
Kobold is shit, my hype is dead.
Also, Hobgoblin is officially a wizard class. Fuck this shit
>>
Can a beholder "dream mutate" more than once? Like could a Death's Kiss start thinking about living forever and become a Death Tyrant's Kiss or something dumb?
>>
In my most recent season, my dwarf cleric managed a 20 on animal handling of a lord's mastiff and eventually I managed to keep him for the future.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be rules for general animal companions in this edition. Have I missed anything in the book? Is there another book that can help or an I stick with just house rules?
>>
What dice should I cop /5eg/? I've been online GMing for a few years now but never played in person since about 10 years ago in high school and I borrowed a friend's dice then. Finally going to have a real group and need to stock up. Are the bulk Wiz and Chessex sets just a crapshoot on whether or not they'll be heavily weighted?
>>
So how should I play a Lawful Evil character?

Only played good guys thus far

>>50080176
Light cleric is one of the more meh clerics, though having Fireball and all that blastiness is fucking sweet

but yea it really does lack a nice fallback blasty blast. Your channel Divinity is a nice blasty but other than that, you're using Sacred Flame which is not blasty enough

It'd be super fucking sweet if it got a Radiant or Fire damage Eldritch Blast or something. I would play the fuck out of that
>>
>>50080348
Chessex are fine. And the bulk sets from either of them are crapshoots since they're mostly rejects sold in bulk. I'd recommend getting a Chessex set in a color you like and get a bulk set for extras just in case.
>>
>>50080373
Dunno, arrogant racist noble dude who's a dick but refrains from being overly murder-stab about things because to him everyone either is or will soon be his subjects, and he thinks himself a kind lord? Or something.
>>
File: typical eberron pc.jpg (264KB, 853x1280px) Image search: [Google]
typical eberron pc.jpg
264KB, 853x1280px
>rolling dex paladin for new campaign as a wood elf
>write up a cool history about the elf nations for the homebrew
>tabaxi makes beastly dex paladins

Should I just embrace my inner furfag and make a cheeto girl?
>>
File: dancing catgirl 2.gif (904KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
dancing catgirl 2.gif
904KB, 400x533px
>>50080397
Yes.
>>
>>50080400
Is this what being enthralled feels like
>>
>>50077968
For a race clearly made for full casters, this doesn't seem overpowered to me.

Magic resistance is all that really jumps out and it's only on saving throws. That's amazing all game long. Period. A solid, unique selling point.

Level 1-5, yeah, these guys are strong. Past 5? Not terribly so. No more than anyone else, I think.
>>
>>50080348
Only DMs should use bulk, the players should at least get factory first translucent sets.
>>
joining a campaign sometime soon

party is a warlock, cleric, bard and paladin, we start at level 5

I want to play a Battlemaster Fighter who uses bows or crossbows or something, but I'm worried about being completely left behind by all the casters

I would be able to do absurd damage with sharpshooter but outside of that, I would be outclassed.

What do yall think I should play? Druid perhaps?
>>
>>50080397
RP as a skinfag.

The character pretends to be an elf, talks like an elf, cultured like an elf and shaves. Just wear a helmet all the time.
>>
>>50077470
Which monstrous origin appeals to you the most?
>>
File: king.jpg (624KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
king.jpg
624KB, 1920x1080px
>>50077704
>>50078231

[ANGRY JAGUAR NOISES]
>>
>>50080433
always barbarian
>>
File: 1459095205320.jpg (362KB, 1004x1820px) Image search: [Google]
1459095205320.jpg
362KB, 1004x1820px
Friend is running Storm King's Thunder tomorrow and I'm creatively drained from midterm exams. Mind helping me make a character concept that would tie into the story well? I've no idea of the party composition so anything is on the table.
>>
>>50080373
Lawful evil wants to impose it's ideology on everyone else, everyone that opposes his agenda to advance that ideology is an enemy and will systematically target them if need be. A lawful evil character wants to advance an agenda, rather than just themselves like a neutral evil would. Play it like a terrorist, a "one bullet away from utopia" tyrant or a subversive money trust globe trotting neoliberal that believes he's saving the world.

>>50080385
Every single character in D&D is racist. Racial conflict defines entire settings and peoples.
>>
>>50080538
Try the revised ranger, it's pretty sweet and there's a big hexcrawling part in the adventure.
>>
>>50080562
Eh, I played the revised Ranger for the last campaign I was in so I'd prefer something else.

I will admit though, it was probably one of the most fun characters I've played.
>>
So the new races have faction restrictions, and the Zhentarim are the most open to racial diversity in the workplace. Is that why they're evil?
>>
>>50080543
Yeah but the people I DM for are always so erm, accepting, of other races, so I gotta really go overboard with it whenever they talk to someone
>>
How many encounters should a dungeon have?
>>
>>50080594
How much do you hate your players?
>>
>>50080570
If you like ranger, you'd probably like rogue.

Thief would be amazing fun and there's tons of freedom of what you can do depending on the DM, since you're skill and mundane item focused. Lots of things to pickpocket as well in Storm King's Thunder.
>>
>>50080570
>>50080562
When you guys say revised ranger do you mean a fan-made one or did Wizards print a revision in an actual book?
>>
>>50080611
That sounds great! You can never go wrong with stealth and pickpocket. I like the thief focus. Leaving the combat-focus to the newer players seems like a good idea to drag them further into the hobby.
>>
>>50080598
I like them but I also want to give them a challenge. I don't want them to go in and be like "that's it?" or anything
>>
>>50080594
As long as it's fun and if it's fits into the narrative, that's how many encounters. From mega dungeons and single encounter caves, this stands true.
>>
>>50080594
Strictly speaking, you're supposed to have 6-9 encounters per day to keep up a good challenge. Of course, you can dial that back by making some encounters more difficult, and also by making some of them non-combat encounters.

Depending on the system of rests you use, it's entirely possible to have a relatively small dungeon with maybe a handful of encounters, or a sprawling one that goes further still.

I find it's a matter of how willing you are to end a session in the middle of a dungeon. If you want finishing the dungeon to be the end of the session, then you should aim for a lower number. If your players enjoy a more sprawling area to explore and don't mind it taking multiple sessions, then bigger can be better.
>>
>>50080630
Thief is actually the best rogue combat path thanks to it's very slick action economy.
Using items as a bonus action(acid flasks, holy water, alchemists fire ect) allows you to ready actions for off-turn SAs pretty reliably. Just make sure you pick up tavern brawler for prof bonus.
>>
File: Zealous accusation.jpg (21KB, 249x380px) Image search: [Google]
Zealous accusation.jpg
21KB, 249x380px
>>50080575
> Adventurer's League
>>
>>50080617
Wizard released an Unearthed Arcana with a revision for ranger in it. It's a bit more in line with the power of the other classes, and overall very good.
>>
>>50080697
Oh fucking sweet. I'll have to bring this to my DM. He'll be very pleased.
>>
>party so far is two wizards
do I go wizard?
>>
>>50080711
That'd be pretty wizard, anni
>>
>>50080711
Go bard, pretend to be a wizard. Use forgery to make fake spell books.
>>
File: Trio.jpg (31KB, 407x500px) Image search: [Google]
Trio.jpg
31KB, 407x500px
>>50080711
Yes. Make sure to make picrelated.
>>
>>50080711
Of course. Be sure to not overlap specializations though. If possible, I might even suggest going for that Artificer specialization from UA to get potions, as you guys might be lacking a healer.
>>
File: 1367913916912.jpg (19KB, 350x465px) Image search: [Google]
1367913916912.jpg
19KB, 350x465px
>>50080711
>tfw that one wizard who survives and gets all the spellbooks of the other dead wizards
>>
Please post the demon orc monster
>>
File: 1450176059169.png (512KB, 600x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1450176059169.png
512KB, 600x1040px
>>50080769
I got you covered.
>>
So I've seen someone saying something in here about making a Warlock with Pact of the Blade and Hand Crossbow being ridiculous - how does this work? Is this using the idea that since no rule specifically states that a Hand Crossbow requires two hands to reload, you can dual wield them or wield one with a rapier at no penalty?
>>
>>50080774
I... am not sure if I should be disturbed or aroused. Distroused?
>>
>>50080774
no the other one
>>
>>50080775
Ammunition property requires a free hand, dual wield hand crossbows doesn't work really.
>>
>>50080775
i mean eldritch blast is still going to be strictly better 100% of the time so like go for it
>>
>>50080790
Yeah, I get that. However, I've seen some people saying that you can make a Warlock with a Hand Crossbow who does ridiculous damage - while I'm not interested in playing it (Not a fan of the Warlock class), I wanted to find out how it works. As far as I could tell, they were using the interpretation that you didn't need a free hand, which sounded completely wrong to me.
>>
>>50080788
I got ya.

>>50080774
Do I even want to know what that is?
Of course I do.
>>
File: Bartok Smoking that Dank Herb.gif (155KB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
Bartok Smoking that Dank Herb.gif
155KB, 400x303px
>I literally just watched my friend buy a copy of Volo's Guide to Monsters from our LGS a few hours ago.
>Looking up the Goblin stats because fuck-yeah Goblins
>It doesn't release until the 15th
>>
>>50080804
Thank you. That, the kobold inventor and the gnoll flind are the only ones yes?
>>
>>50080799
I guess...
Hand crossbow + Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter

Life Drink + Thristing Blade

Hex

So that's 3 attack at 1d6+DEX+CHA+10+1d6 each. (If you have +5 in both it will be around 27 damage per attack)
>>
>>50080799
>I've seen some people saying that you can make a Warlock with a Hand Crossbow who does ridiculous damage

What? that doesn't make any sense

I honestly cannot see a way that using a hand crossbow could possibly do more damage than eldritch blast with agonizing blast
>>
>>50080799
Those are called cheaters if they're dual welding handcrossbows, only way to do that is have squires or tiny creatures placing the ammo into the crossbows.
>>
>>50080839
Speaking of, would anyone be so kind as to post the Gobbo stats?
>>
>>50080847
Pretty shit for level 12 and two feats.
>>
>>50080799
Only willful ignorance allow that. They can't even pretend that they "Interpretate" that rule that way.

Ammunition quality clearly said that "you need a free hand to load a one-handed weapon". Crossbow expert ignore Loading quality but the weapon still has Ammunition quality.
>>
File: 1472370870617.jpg (128KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1472370870617.jpg
128KB, 768x1024px
>>50080804

>Intimidation +2

fucking caster supremacy
>>
>>50080790
Crossbow Mastery; you do get to ignore the loading propery, but that's not "Ammunition", hence where most people (I assume) freak out.

It's such a badass concept though that I allow it anyways in my games.
>>
I was thinking of playing a cleric of avandra, but i don't know which domain would suit her
Trickery certainly doesn't
Any suggestions aside from homebrew?
>>
Do the Goblinoids have Subraces? if so, what are they?
>>
>>50080922
Only aasimars have subraces.
>>
>>50080913
Trickery seems like it'd fit her the best out of the options. Maybe Tempest instead for a 'winds of freedom and change' idea?
>>
>>50080927
Huh, alright. Room for expansion in the future I guess. Do we know the stats and racial for regular Goblin or just a snippet of the stat-block?
>>
>>50080945
>>50077470
Yes.
>>
>>50080951
Ah, of course. I guess I should have read the picture instead of just the post.
>>
>>50080934
Honestly, the reason i'm against trickery domain is because poison and illusions seem too cloak and dagger for a goddess of luck, travel, and trade
Tempest could kinda work, especially in a more sea focused setting
>>
For the revised Ranger, I'm a bit confused on the Favored Enemy wording. If I picked humanoid, would that apply to everything that is humanoid or do I have to get a bit more specific?
>>
>>50080176
>>50080373
Actually.. I think it's just better for me to shoot Light Crossbow at enemy until I get potent cantrip isn't it?
>>
>>50080989
Yeah. Even if it isn't a sea focused setting, having them be from a port town originally would be enough to justify it. Even outside of fair winds for sailing though, you would certainly pray to her for fair weather while traveling.

Lightning and storms also have a bit of a chaotic element to them, which ties into luck and freedom nicely. Plus, being able to fly all the time once you reach higher levels pretty much screams freedom and travel.

I see what you mean about trickery though.
>>
>>50081005
Everything with the Humanoid creature type would count. This includes all PC races.
>>
>>50081005

Humanoid is a type of creature, not anything that is humanoid. A Monstrosity, Fiend, Fey, etc can be humanoid but they aren't Humanoid.
>>
>>50081036
>>50081046
Wow, that seems pretty damn strong. Thanks for the clarification guys.
>>
>>50081035
Damn, i was gonna add how knowledge or life could also kinda fit, but you've really made me want to go with tempest
>>
>>50081087
Well, glad I could offer a good suggestion. Avandra was always a pretty neat deity.
>>
With the new catman race, what's the best way to do cat-people?

Jungle/Desert Slavs?
>>
>>50078501
So next fall we're getting Ranger rework, and Mystic. Supplements have gotten fall releases so far, so chances are we won't be getting it until Q3 or Q4 of 2017.
>>
>>50081324
> Slavs
> Cats
Yeah, this isn't going to work.
>>
>>50080851
Crossbow Expert lets you refire the same hand crossbow as a bonus action if you are only holding the one.
"When you use the Attack action and attack with a one- handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding."
>>
How is Princes of the Apocalypse?
>>
>>50077335
Fucking chester cheetah looking ass
>>
>>50081481
Dog shit. LMoP, OotA, CoS and SKT are the only campaigns worth running. The rest are garbage,
>>
Any good waifu races in Volo's?
>>
Hello friends

I am making a paladin bard. He's a half elf and his momma was an elven paladin and his poppa was a human bard. He learned his shit from the two of them and they encouraged him to go out adventuring cause thats how they met.

My old fella died so im coming in with this guy at level 9.

I wanna make this shit optimal, cause my old character was not in any way.

So what do? Devotion and Valor fit him the best. I was thinking 6 pally and 3 bard, starting paladin ofc
>>
>>50081481
It's good. A nice dungeon crawl.
>>
How should I implement Shrieker fungi as an alarm system for cave dwelling monsters.

The stat block gives them false appearance, saying theyre indistinguishable from ordinary fungus, but I think it would kind of suck if my players had no chance at all to avoid setting off the 'shroom alarm.

How should I handle it?
Should I do a secret Nature check for my players to see if they recognise the fungus? Any other suggestions?

On that note, how would the players even deal with it? It has blindsight rather than tremorsense, so you can't fly over it. I guess you'd just have to snipe it from range?
>>
>>50081593
I heard it was decent when it came out, or was that just compared to tyranny of dragons?
>>
>>50081731
nah it's good.
>>
>>50081697
You gain literally nothing from valor. Go lore and pick up some good spells, like spiritual guardians.
>>
>>50078281
I like that many people play humans. It makes other races more rare. I dislike when you come to a first meting and people stats talking about what they want to play.

If the hole party is full of warforged, tieflings and dragonborn it feels like a circus
>>
Playing a level 6 tiefling light cleric. I'm pretty good on offensive spells from domain. What other spells should I be preparing? What utility/support/healing/other offense spells?
>>
>>50081882
Command: Pretty flexible. As long as the other party understand you.

Enhance ability: Another flexible spell, make skill check a lot easier, if you use it with guidance

Clairvoyance: Know what's inside the room before you open it
>>
Whats the deal with guidance? Is there anything else that even compares in value?
>>
I kind of want to play a Nature Cleric, but those domain spells are just awful. Anything I can do to make more than just a green-flavored Cleric?
>>
>>50081882
Spiritual guardians and bless are always good, as is spiritual weapon. Stoneshape is good for creating pathways. People often underestimate gentle repose, but they shouldn't. Normally, you can only revive somebody with Revify if they've been dead for no longer than a minute, but with gentle repose, you can extend that minute for as long as you like. Don't have the diamonds to bring the guy back right now? Just conserve his body for the later, uh, use.
If you're going up against werewolves, prepare remove curse.
>>
>>50081952
Have you ever heard of druids?
>>
>>50081946
well it eat up your concentration slot. So Enhance Ability will be better on average.
>>
>>50081952
Yes, you can play land druid.
>>
>>50081958
He can't cast stoneshape yet.
>>
File: laughinggirls.gif (839KB, 142x146px) Image search: [Google]
laughinggirls.gif
839KB, 142x146px
>>50081971
>land druid
>>
>>50081919
>>50081958
Ok. I've been running with-
1: command, detect magic, healing word
2: prayer of healing, spiritual weapon
3: revivify, dispel magic

And have 2 extra slots. What should I get rid of, and what just add? I have a lot of offensive power from the domain so I've been uncertain about spirit guardians but maybe I'm just underestimating it. What about the 2nd level control spells (blindness, hold person)?
>>
> Light Cleric can't use sun blade
literally why... should I sacrifice a feat for flavor?
>>
>>50082093
No. You're a light cleric, you don't go into melee, ever.
>>
>>50082058
You want bless as a cleric. You should pretty much always be concentrating on something, and most of the time it will be bless because there isn't a combat situation where it isn't useful
>>
>>50082055
New thread.
>>
>>50082058
3d8 damage per turn that only eat your concentration is pretty good.
>>
>>50082104
> d8
> medium armor
still better than bladelock.
>>
Can someone help decorate / populate a dungeon for me?

What should it look like, what features / traps should it have, and who should inhabit it (if any creatures).

Basically the idea is it's a grotto that a sea hag lives in by herself, and the idea is that it's full on reverse wizard tower and she's going to pay the adventurers to kick her deadbeat neckbeard son out (who lives at the very bottom).

No clue on how to detail it otherwise though. Any help?
>>
>>50082632

>>50064473
>>
What would be a good pantheon of deities for a setting completely in the Underdark?
>>
Are there rules for NPC classes?
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.