[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bgg/ - Board Games General Previous >>50035751 Reso

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 28

File: 46134534.jpg (287KB, 1037x1037px) Image search: [Google]
46134534.jpg
287KB, 1037x1037px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous
>>50035751

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What did you play last weekend?

What's at the top of your wishlist?

What's your opinion on co-op games?
>>
>What did you play last weekend?
Zombicide: Black Plague

>What's at the top of your wishlist?
Age of Thieves at the moment.

>What's your opinion on co-op games?
I prefer them over most others. It's just generally more fun for the group I play with. Though, I just got my copy of Conan and that looks fun so we might end up arguing over who gets to be Overlord.
>>
Another game of Grand Hotel Auschwitz, or maybe Austria, whatever.

It's probably the most Austrian thing I've ever experienced. You lock people in rooms they never get out of and occasionally some Austrian leader tries to destroy everything.

I want to try Great Western trail

Nice occasionally, but they often have balance issues. BSG for example was pretty fun for some games, but it got pretty boring pretty fast when trivial optimal plays emerged.

>>50080834
I have Age of Thieves lying just over there. Haven't opened it yet.
>>
> What did you play last weekend?
Fury of Dracula + 2x Last Night on Earth
> What's at the top of your wishlist?
Some 3p game. I'm thinking about Maria or Three Kingdoms: Redux.
> What's your opinion on co-op games?
I like them but we play them when we need more laid-back games i.e when everybody is fatigued from playing something heavier or we play during the weekend. I mean for me coops are one step away from party-games.
>>
File: 1432977148133.gif (2MB, 560x433px) Image search: [Google]
1432977148133.gif
2MB, 560x433px
>>50080834
>>50080910
>People here praise coop games
Fuck, I sure do love either awful singleplayer games where you do the only optimal move available to you or a game of completely arbitrary random chance.
>>
Reposting from previous thread.
Hows Cutthroat Caverns base game without the expansion?

I got lots of people saying its fun but sometimes to easy or inconsistent.

Does the expansion fix that? I understoon Relics & Ruin makes the game much harder, and the added Relics give a more tactical side to the game, making it a bit less RNG reliant and a bit more consistent.

So how does the game stand on his own? does the expansion change it drastically from "wouldn't play again" to a "must have"?
>>
>>50080918
> during the weekend
Err should be during the week after work. Derp.
>>
>>50080910
>trivial optimal plays emerged.
What do you call optimal plays in BSG?
>>
>>50080942
I'm >>50080910
and I was just trying to fit in, in reality coop games in our group provoke
>lmao coop
reaction.
>>
>>50080996
Being roughly aware of the amount of cards of certain color in player's hands. Letting the least amount of players do the crises. Eventually resulting in cylons being choked of actions and forcing them to reveal themselves at game start, because that lets them do the most harm to humans.
>>
>>50081055
I wanted to be snarky but that's actually insightful and neither I nor my group thought of that.

Then again only played BSG like 4 times.
>>
File: wishlist.jpg (310KB, 1540x602px) Image search: [Google]
wishlist.jpg
310KB, 1540x602px
Non-boxed games = not sure/thinking about it
>>
Out of
> Arkham Horror
> Eldritch Horror
> Mansions of Madness

How would you rate the three?
>>
>>50080812
Terraforming Mars
Gloomhaven
I don't have a strong opinion one way or another.
>>
>>50081163
Okay, can you sell me on Bios: Genesis? My girlfriend is a PhD immunologist and has been looking for a game that is as scientifically accurate as possible. All I really know about this game is the rules are terribly written to the point that I can't even tell if they're as complicated as they seem.
>>
>>50082207
>My girlfriend is a PhD immunologist and has been looking for a game that is as scientifically accurate as possible
Then BIOS: Genesis is perfect. It's an Eklund game and he is an actual engineer and a huge science nerd.

The game is for up to four players and everyone starts out as organic compounds. The goal is to create life.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/98918/bios-genesis
>>
File: cover.png (1MB, 881x765px) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
1MB, 881x765px
>>50080812
What did you play last weekend?
>Played Battlestar Galactica and that's about it.
What's at the top of your wishlist?
>Chaos in the Old World, I've played it and really want a copy
What's your opinion on co-op games?
>They're fun. Though people have to stay on the ball and paying attention which is frustrating when they don't.
Just curious, what does /tg/ think of Robinson Crusoe? So far, it's the only board game that's scratched the itch of the "arguing and planning" portion of TTRPGs. The only drawback is that there are only 4 players
>>
>what did you play last weekend?
Had a lot more game time than usual this week. Tsuro, sushi go, zombicide bp, dominion, lords of waterdeep, fury of dracula, and some homebrew stuff.

>top of your wishlist?
First martians, project elite, mage knight, kingdom death monster. Sort of gloomhaven, but that's just waiting for it to ship.

>co-op games opinion
It varies a lot depending on who I'm playing with and the situation. Overall, I'm okay with them. I wouldn't want to only play them, but it's nice to have a game or two in between a bunch of competive stuff.

Anyone know a good resource for game scans for printing games?
>>
>>50081163
>High Frontier 3rd Edition

Any news?
>>
>>50082504
News? That shit got sucked into a spacetime wrinkle.
>>
>>50081899
3/10, 4/10, 0/10

They're all 4 awful even for coop standards. Arkham is and always was hot garbage with a 4 hour playtime of doing nothing but drawing random events. Eldritch didn't do much fix that as make it slightly less painful. Mansions of Madness was the best of the 3 being a meh dungeon crawl until the second edition. Now it is everything wrong with modern boardgame design. You walk from room to room, chaotic bullshit happens, and the app trivializes everything "board" about the game while making it worse in every way than just letting a player control it. Because you know, when I think what makes a good second edition, I think less players and less features! Not to mention less content and yet costs MORE than first edition.
>>
>>50082504
Don't expect any news until Phil announces High Frontier 4 in 2017. I'd be really interested in what an update from his new graphic designer would look like. Not because I dislike the current art, but because I think some slight tweaks could make the board and especially the cards really shine
>>
>>50080812
Jack shit, unless I count 2R1B at a LAN last weekend. Cry havoc tonight.
I'm really aroused by New Angeles's rivalry-centric victory conditions, where each player only has one other player they need to beat. The pseudo-traitor mechanic needs more explanation though.
Waste of time, generally. My friends are a hundred times more entertaining when at each other's throats. Strangely, I don't hate co-op vidya nearly as much. Not really sure why.

>>50080834
Age of Thieves does seem pretty sweet.

>>50080949
Cutthroat is still pretty solid without expansions.
>>
>If the KS publisher (OSS) who has taken the money for High Frontier 3 does not produce it by October 2017, I will cancel the contract and self-produce High Frontier 4 and donate copies to those who have not received the High Frontier 3 game from OSS.

From the man himself.
>>
>>50083624
meant to reply to
>>50083576
>>50083127
>>50082504
>>
File: swrebellion.jpg (578KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
swrebellion.jpg
578KB, 1000x600px
>>50080812
Star Wars Rebellion

Honestly, right now, nothing. I have a lot of board games I've only gotten to play once or twice because its so hard to get a group together. Its usually just me and my buddy so we stick to 2 player games or co-op games that can be played with 2 people.

They're great. I love that fact I don't always have to be a scumbag AND that they can be played with two people and still be fun. Games like Mansions of Madness, Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror are awesome and totally doable with 8 characters and 2 players.

It sucks not having a solid board game group anymore. Its just me and my buddy and hes moving back to Japan soon. =\

Pic related, this is the most fun I've had with a board game in years. The game is seriously fucking great and you don't need a huge group to play it and it still feels epic as fuck.
>>
>>50080812
Played some Carcassonne with my gf. Also some onirim solo, a really good solitaire.
Currently, Santorini. Hoping that it gets here before christmas, but that's pushing it.
Good for a small filler to relax a bit. Or a meatier game when one has the right group.
>>
>>50083624
>One day I will own High Frontier.
Yes.

Yes!

YES!!
>>
>>50080812
Couple dozen rounds of Neuroshima Hex. Additionally some SmallWorld and Carcassone.
King of Tokyo, Mission Red Planet and Cosmic Encounter. In that order.
Mixed feelings. I played Zombicide:BP couple of times with my gf. I have to hold myself hard not to advice better option. And I simply can't look at adult people in my team making moves that result in screwing us up. I can lose on purpose with kids failing hard so learn on their mistakes.
>>
https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbQ3RMaObo&

Dice Tower clowns play TI3 livestream
>>
>>50084134
>Four players
>Three rings
HOLY SHIT WHY
>>
>>50084239
Because Sam is a fucking idiot and nobody else knows the game well enough to speak out.
>>
>>50080812
>Played
A Feast for Odin, Hansa. Trying for MvM Friday night
>Wishlist
I'm not buying any more new games this year except as a gift for friends come December.

I've been eyeing Ponzi Scheme for over a year now, but it's taken so long that I completely lost interest... And then a recent Man vs Meeple review reminded me of the insider trading mechanic that got me interested in the first place. The fact that it's the only game on my radar now shows that the post-Essen drought is real
>Co-op opinions
Co-ops are pretty essential for the everygamer's collection. Hanabi is my #1 gateway of choice. Witness is one of my favorite game experiences ever (though it's less about cooperation for me and more about the puzzles and opening the door to swinging with your favorite couple). Space Alert is the best game available with yelling in it and one of the best scaling difficulty games out there. If there's one thing about MvM review coverage I found disappointing, it's how almost everyone forgot Space Alert existed. The Grizzled is unique in the way it will absolutely crush you into the dirt.
>>
>>50084353
>The Grizzled is unique in the way it will absolutely crush you into the dirt.
Thanks for reminding me that I need my own copy of that.
I've only gotten to play it once but I really enjoy it. The French comic-style art is another plus.
>>
I somehow stumbled into this here
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-fun-interesting-family-game-board-game-entertain-dixit-1-2-168pcs-cards-With-English/32373960991.html?spm=2114.01010108.3.1.mIimAr&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10091_10090_10088_10089,searchweb201603_1&btsid=7594b75e-07f1-4c45-a3b0-a19808e02210

Its "Dixit" from AliExpress, anyone has any feedback on this?

I mean I don't care if its not genuine, but if it has the same cards / play the same, why not...
>>
>>50080812
Nothing, not had the time to play for a while now. Next week hopefully...

Nothing on top in particular. Eyeing a lot of stuff off GMT's P500 though, and maybe Bios: Genesis, though as a number of my gaming group are doctorates/post-docs with a biotech background the science has to check out.

Meh. Never played one with lasting power. That said, only played Arkham Horror, BSG and DoW, so who knows. With a few exceptions, the idea of co-op games is far less appealing now than it was back when I started with boardgames though.

>>50080918
>Some 3p game.
If you and your group aren't averse to heavier and/or wargames, check out Churchill and Triumph&Tragedy.
>>
>>50084403
I ordered !Saboteur from chinaman a while back out of curiosity, dunno about !Dixit's quality, but this is what I can say about it.
The cards are flimsier with a semi-gloss finish, which makes them somewhat slippery and unwieldy while shuffling.
The edges are not super clean cut, they have tiny bits of fuzz/fiber coming out, cardstock is slightly offwhite.
Print quality is decent but graphics are kind of grainy and not super crisp. I believe it's more of a low-res scan thing because the manual and some of the cards have slight artifacts and color variations. These are really, really hard to notice, even on close inspection.
Cards are 1.5 mm shorter than the original, and I have no idea about their durability.

Manual was a cheap, single sheet of badly folded paper with lots of scanlines, both in english and chinese. Box was very good quality though, really sturdy with a great finish.
>>
>Just got Onitama in the mail
>It's missing 2 pawns

I have the worst luck with /tg/ stuff. It feels like every other one I get, I need to contact the company about missing pieces. Cosmic Encounter I was missing a green ship, Armada's squadron pack was missing the Y-Wings, Ticket to Ride was missing the instruction book. Now this.
>>
Cracked open Archipelago for the first time. Enjoyed it, but it's horribly optimized for two players, and it's too complex for my one-evening group.

Dunno, maybe Lords of Waterdeep. Always wanted to try it.

If they're semi-coop, with possibilities of backstabbing or a traitor, then absolutely yes. Gotta be well balanced, though. Traitor games are more often than not insanely hard if you have a decent liar at the table.
>>
>>50085062
Man I'm sorry for you. That would piss me off and totally turn me off the hobby if it really happens that often.
>>
>>50085062
How's your collection of I'll gotten extra pieces?
>>
>>50085143
Archipelago really isn't that complex, it just has a few fiddly things that should have been edited simpler and can be fixed with better player aids. The real problem is with how crappy the manual is.
>>
>Seafall one of the most anticipated non-kickstarter games
>Things are quiet for a while as people dig into it
>Multiple reviewers start trashing/criticizing it
>CSI suddenly puts it up on sale

Hopefully the next legacy game actually works out.
>>
>>50085264
I agree, it's not so much the complexity as it is how to explain it. I found many elements of the game to be nonsensical at first, and trying to explain them to someone not navigating the manual left them dumbfounded. Domestic/export/immediate crises in different rounds, for instance. True clusterfuck.

Also wanted to mention the manual, what an inconsistent mess. Should get better once I play it more, though.
>>
File: 1439895514175.jpg (32KB, 640x647px) Image search: [Google]
1439895514175.jpg
32KB, 640x647px
>>50085309
Anon... why do you want a legacy game though? I'm all on board with having scenarios and game-persistence through different missions but why legacy? Just why? I don't see the appeal of actively destroying your game where mechanically it could be replaced by something else.
>>
>>50085309
Hopefully the next 10 legacy games all crash and burn so this meme can be over. There's absolutely no reason any of these legacy games need to be legacy.
>>
>>50085412

Not the same anon, but : because no merchanic can replace actual consequences to your actions.

Without consequence, when a very difficult choice presents itself you're thinking "well, if it doesnt work out, I'll just pick the other next game, or next campaign" with legacy, there's no going back.
>>
So I'm about to dive in to yet another miniature-board game crossover. This time its The edge (toedgy4me jokes, go right ahead), which is shaping up to be quite the kicksterter it looks like.
Hell I had the notion of a few "bonus models" but man, Awakened realms is really tossing everything but the kitchen sink in to this one. I feel spoiled to be honest, in a "Tell your friends and get free units for every team!" spoiled.
The models looks nice enough, I have no illusions that they will hold A+ standard, being plastic one piece minis, but they look good enough from what I can tell. And the game, thus far, looks pretty damn fun, if you like 1 vs 1 competitive hex game with lots of cards and recourse collecting during gameplay.

I wont take the step to make this a fully fledged miniature game, such as Awakened realms would want it to be, but rather will stay put with my 6 teams to use as a standard boxed game to bring home to friends. This way we can simply enjoy it for what it is, without getting to hung up on balance or other retarded shit.
>>
>>50080812
I played Battlelore 2nd Edition with a friend from out of town. We always get pretty intense over every game, but someone has to be the winner, and I issued a soul-crushing defeat to his Daqan army as the Uthuk warriors. Kept a simple muster, didn't add anything from the add-on units. He through just about everything in from the add-ons.

I really want to play Terraforming Mars. It looks like it has enough Take that! that you wouldn't just be doing your own thing while other people are doing theirs and at some point someone wins.

I'm getting a little tired of co-op games. It always seems to be one person takes charge and commands the rest of the players for the game. In a way that feels natural and makes sense, but I like competing with the other players more than feeling like I'm on a determined track.
>>
>>50086395
>Looks and sounds good
>250 bongbux for the big pack
>Already have Dropfleet Commander coming
>And Warpath
>And Super Dungeon Explore: Legends
>And Dark Souls
>And Dreadball 2
>And 7th Continent
>And Reaper Bones 3

I don't need more plastic! Why are you doing this to me anon!?
>>
>>50083686
>>50081931
To the respective anon: How are Rebellion and Terraforming Mars?
>>
>>50086631

Its something about spending money that just makes you feel good about life.
>>
>>50086395
I don't understand why people are even remotely interested in this game. It's bog fucking standard roll a d6 + card play gameplay. You literally cannot get any more basic than this shit.

You can do so much better. So, so much better, when it comes to wargames / miniatures games.
>>
Is there any consensus on the new expansion to Betrayal at House on the Hill? I've only played it a handful of times and each time was sufficiently different, but I've heard that a lot of playing leads the game to losing its charm somewhat. Does the expansion rectify this, or is it just another thing that's fun until it's not?
>>
>>50086713
Things help fill the void.
>>
>>50086787
It's fun until you figure out that basically nothing you do matters or influences the outcome in any significant way.
Same as the base game.
>>
>>50086395
>factions and setting make the game look like yet another fanfiction-tier 40k ripoff
>literally and unironically called The Edge

Good sir, you are being memed out of your money.
>>
>>50086733

But basic also means fairly even. Its a 1 on 1 game, it doesn't need a 300 page rulebook, it doesn't need complex combat rules or such. The tactics lies in positioning your models and by using the right cards at the right time.
That different models also has different decks of cards to build from also creates a opportunity for counters vs your opponent.

And the simplicity also brings with it balance. See how much more 30k got in comparison to 40k? They removed all but the space marines, thus removed a LOT of the options. They bare-boned the game, and got a much more balanced game out of it. The same principle applies to just about any game.

But in all fairness, its not for everyone, not everyone likes games like this, I do, but you don't, its that simple. I personally though is pretty hyped over it, looks good, and plays seems like an awful lot of fun!
>>
File: 3745656.jpg (1MB, 1496x1000px) Image search: [Google]
3745656.jpg
1MB, 1496x1000px
I wanna buy a nice 2-player game and my budget actually allows for two games. Of these six, which two would should I get?
>>
>>50087187

>Another fanficiton tire 40k ripoff

You shill, seriously, its a steam punk fantasy setting... and you think they ripped of 40k. Jesus, GW must have you by the balls by the sound of it.
>>
>>50087211
Hive
The Duke
Onitama

Pick any 2.

Santorini isn't even out yet.
>>
>>50087211
They're all good, but I'd probably go with Duke and Santorini. Quantum is a lot of fun, but dice combat sets it back a bit if I'm being picky.
>>
>>50087188
Anon... before you drop hundreds of dollars on this shit, do yourself a favor and look into Guild Ball. It is a better game. It is a much, much better game. And they're coming out with a new two player starter set in November at a ridiculously good price point ($70 USD for two entire teams).
>>
>>50086658
>Terraforming Mars Review
Played a 4 player game, everyone's first play. We went ahead and jumped into the deep end and play with the non-starter corporations and with the corporate era cards. Everyone really enjoyed the game. Final scores were pretty close, third was 5 points from first even though all three had pretty drastic differences in the engines they had going. 4th was lagging a bit, but the player had a couple of rules misunderstandings that set him back. Might be playing again this evening.
>>
>>50081899
>>50083574

I played Eldritch Horror and did not like it at all. I got a completely random curse early in the game and could only remove it by roll of the die, which never happened. It hamstrung me for the whole game and we all basically sat and watched as one of our players Voltron'd through the run. That's not "diffficult" it's just frustrating.
>>
>>50087211
Neuroshima: Hex and Imperial Settlers of course.
>>
>>50087283
Is the hype justified?
>>
>>50087339
If engine building is your jam, yes.

I should also note we used the optional drafting rules.
>>
>>50087211
You can PnP Hive pretty easily to see if you even like it to begin with.
>>
>>50087324

I can see why this would be frustrating early on as a new player and I sympathize. Eldritch Horror is, at its core, a game of risk minimization due to the fact that dice resolve everything. So it's about knowing how to ensure you perform successful tests and minimize the effects of bad ones. That all being said, if you went to Rome, you have a high chance of receiving a blessing which removes the curse.

To the anon that asked earlier, Eldritch Horror is probably my favorite of the Arkham Horror Files games by FFG, but they are very polarizing. If you're not into Ameritrash, you probably won't like it in the first place.
>>
>>50087451
The most fun in Arkham Horror, for me, is seeing how various absurd scenarios develop, either from players' involvement or from random happenstance. From the cultist saying "I dreamt that the world would end if I didn't give you this!" then handing you 5 dollars to the illusionist sheriff riding his bike through Arkham with a shotgun and a magic axe.
Other than that a garbage game with infinite setup and so exhausting and boring that I would rather set it and the table I played it on o n fire than go through the hassle of boxing it again.
>>
>>50087211
You can also use The Duke PnP version.
I actually made a super cool board with it, and if you wanna test it out for a couple of rounds its just a quick cut and fold to do.
>>
>>50084403
Same guy, anyone else has any experience with Chinese knock-offs?

I am a bit saddened by the fact that the publisher / developer get nothing, but on the other hand some of them are jerks and sometimes the shipping charges are bigger than the game itself.

Anyone here who owns a Chinese knockoff can shed some light on how are the material? does it hold or will it fall apart after 2 runs?
>>
played cosmic encounter, carcassonne, and solo space hulk death angel this past week

robinson crusoe second edition, kemet, and possibly pandemic iberia are at the top of my wishlist

I like co-op games. I'm usually pretty bad at winning competitive games, so that might have something to do with it. I still enjoy competitive games, but I really like a nice co-op. some people hate co-ops that are unrelenting (ghost stories and death angel) but I really enjoy that as long as I'm able to eke out a win every once in a while.

>>50082490
your best bet would probably be taking images from tabletop sim, although they're not always the highest quality. there's a program up on nexus to download/view all images from a mod, so you might not even need the game

>>50085412
but anon you're not destroying your game. you're altering it, and some people might consider that ruining it, but you're definitely not destroying it. you'll still have a playable game once you've completed all the legacy bits
>>
>>50087671
>>50086368
Well I'm happy that you guys are happy.

But privately I think you guys are suckers.

Just think how the same mechanic would "sell" in a computer game.

> So yeah to make a new character you need to buy our game again!

People would be (rightly) calling for blood and posting jokes about DLC again. People eat it up for legacy games, though.
>>
>>50087817

And maybe they'd be missing out on the most thrilling experience a game can offer. I dunno. Maybe we never will.

And as usual, I have to add the caveat that I have a fucking HUGE board game collection which means that most games dont even ever get to 12+ games so...
>>
>>50087817
kinda comparing apples to oranges there anon. Besides, one the of chief appeals of rogue-like's or ARPG hardcore mode is the perma-death aspect. You could sink 100 hours into a character and then BAM, it's gone forever. Some people like that "can never go back" stuff.

>>50080942
>>50083574
>>50085430
oh great, Mr. "I hate everything that's not a Euro" is back.
>>
>>50088133
>Mr. "I hate everything that's not a Euro" is back

Well sure, if you want to play a poor sub-standard game then don't play euros.
>>
>>50087817
that's a crappy comparison because in board games you don't have the expectation of being able to make characters. the game comes with 8 characters, and those 8 characters are all you'll get until an expansion comes out and they'll be the exact same until you stop playing the game. only difference is in a legacy game those characters change as you play the game

unless you weren't literally comparing the character aspect, and you were comparing playing the campaign of a legacy game again with making characters in a video game. but if you were doing that you should have said "imagine the shitstorm if a company locked playing through the campaign again a second time behind a paywall"
>>
>>50086658
not the anon that posted the sw rebellion
i play tested it at a convention.
i really didnt like it
it felt too long.
in the end i just ended up using my deathstar to blow up nabu 3 times in a row cause the game was boring and my friend was bored aswell.
>>
>>50083624
Well, at least at this rate I'm guaranteed a game.
>>
>>50088133
I play rougelikes and I understand the appeal.

But for it be comparable it's like if you
> could only play with one character
> once
> wanting to play again or failing meant you had to *BUY* the game again.

>>50088222
Are you talking specifically about Seafall? I was talking about the legacy mechanic in general
>>
>>50088206
I'll leave you to your navel-gazing, cube collecting, solo-game-masquerading-as-competitive genre then.
>>
>>50088272
no, I was just talking about in general as well

although I guess your character can die in pandemic. just don't tear up that character card and hold off playing it until you finish your campaign. then when you're done with the campaign and you treat it like regular pandemic + some changes, just use that character like normal.

guess I should have said earlier I'm not a fan of tearing up cards. I have no qualms with stickering them though
>>
>>50088315
0/10
>>
>>50088410
Ah sorry, didn't know that the legacy aspect had to involve characters (thought that Risk: Legacy didn't have that for example). Mea culpa.
>>
>>50085430
Legacy games are fun though, they let the game flow in the way that your group builds them.

You just have to not be autistic enough to be bothered by destroying parts.
>>
Why can't you guys just get over the fact that legacy exists and will probably not go away. I think it's a pointless gimmick myself, but people in /bgg/ have explained why they like legacy more than enough, so why do we need to discuss this shit over and over again?
>but muh wrong fun
Kys asap, it's really just shitposting by now.
>>
>>50088668
Legacy games are boring crap at the moment where you play the same (boring) game over and over again, quit halfway through because it's tedium personified and waste your money.

If anyone could manage to do a successful interesting legacy game it's going to be Stonemaier but even then I'm not holding out much hope.
>>
>>50088272
Get all the players to pitch in and a Legacy game is basically a long, interactive movie.
Your problem is thinking about them from a collector's POV, when it's just a disposable article of entertainment.
>>
>>50088793
>legacy scythe
I have never been before more torn.
>>
>>50085178
I'm just glad I live in Minnesota. Whenever it happens with Fantasy Flight stuff, I basically get the replacement in 2 days because their HQ and stock are all literally 3 miles away from my house.
>>
>>50088803
Fair enough. I guess it's just not for me then because I have 0 interest in doing that.

I'm more interested in playing one game over and over again to get better.
>>
>>50088133
Oh great, Mr. "Meaningful choices and confrontation are too scary for me!" is here to save the boardgame industry.
>>
>>50089039
>eurogames
>confrontation
>>
>>50087280

Better, being a subjective term.
But I wont doubt you, you probably think it is the better of the two, even though only having played one of the two.

Being a miniature wargamer from the start, I cant hide the fact that I find the miniatures quite nice, combined with a bit of lore, but the real kicker... yea, its the comic book! I red that shit with some epic generic opera meats metal, and BAM! I was sold...
So yes, its more than a game for me, as is probably any game you look at. Take guild ball for instance, you think its the bomb, but then another guy comes along, with his own opinion, and thinks its shit compared to "younameit", and so it goes.

The edge, I just think it looks like a cool game. I like the models, I have had contact with the guys from AR before, and I know they are a great bunch of guys, and I like the models and lore. To me its a winning concept, it has nothing to do about being "the best game", its an experience.... and I'm already tied in a group that will go live with Blood bowl once again when it hits the grid.
>>
>>50085309
It's been getting trashed since a few days after, but after just 1 or 2 plays reviewers were still optimistic.
>>50085412
Friedemann Friese released a "fable" game at Essen. It was supposed to be a cool new system with a resettable "campaign," but by most accounts it's the world's most uninspired set collection game with a mundane gimmick tacked on (more of the same from 2F). It never even blipped on the hotness.

Permanence is most of what's exciting about Legacy. The fact that it's the center of debate so often and called an abomination by some, that makes it even more alluring to others. It's taboo, challenges norms, and subverts expectations. It's Duchamp's Fountain

"Fable," meanwhile, is just a deck of cards that you don't shuffle, and when you want to start over you just organize the cards back into the starting positions. Relatively bland, safe
>>50087257
I actually like Quantum's dice combat, despite hating it in most games. I rarely go aggressive in it because I prefer getting fast ships and capturing points quickly, but the threat of getting blown up really makes it tense
>>50087817
Hearthstone does this to some extent with their draft mode, "Arena." You pay for each draft (in-game or real currency), and while you don't keep the cards you draft, you get rewards for having lots of wins. Three losses and you're out
EVE online has permanence. You respawn, but your several thousand dollar dreadnaught is gone forever
There was an indie fps "mmo" with a death permanence concept, but it never came out of alpha. It got a lot of buzz though
>>50088753
>You guys
It's 1 or 2 guys out of several dozen. Probably the same one or two shitlords who won't stop yapping about MvM
>>
>>50087953
> I have a fucking HUGE board game collection
You can't say stuff like that on /bgg/ and then not show the goods, man. Gimme pics!
>>
>>50088228
Hmm, yes it does look like it'd take longer than most of my group would be interested in committing time to for one game.

>>50087283
Glad to hear people enjoyed it. I like the idea of seeing the board change over time as you terraform.
>>
>>50088793
Euros are boring crap at the moment where you play the same (boring) game over and over again, quit halfway through because it's tedium personified and waste your money.
>>
>>50080812

Power Grid and Stone Age

>What's at the top of our wishlist?
I guess Terraforming Mars, atlhough Lorenzo ill Magnifico has me intrigued.

They are fun most of the time but i'm always wary of the alpha gamer.
>>
>>50090002
>triggered by people not liking mvm
>>
>all this shitposting
it's like /v/ came here for a holiday
I wish they'd leave
>>
>>50080812
>played
2 games of Pandemic. First one was supposed to be the begginning of the Legacy campaign, but we got our anus blasted when a 2nd turn epidemic card and bad infection draws triggered 3 red chained outbreaks by turn 4. We managed to find 2 cures but couldn't contain red, which chain outbreaked again on the 4th epidemic card.
We chickened out of progressing on the campaign til we had a couple more practice games.
2nd game was a fucking cakewalk, bad draws and initial board state can really fuck you over.
Not sure if we have 12 games in us, I don't really see us finishing the campaign soon.

Then we played 3-man Cthulhu Realms.

>wishlist
Dominant Species, and a COIN. Falling Sky or Andean Abyss

>coop
sure, why not
>>
>>50080812
What's TG's thoughts on Android? I recently played my first game, four players, and it took six hours. Also the person who won didn't solve the murder but won on points from other sources, and a suspect was murdered screwing two players. Not sure if fun... Maybe this could use a streamlined updated version like Eldritch Horror is to Arkham Horror.
>>
>>50093868
People having different opinions isn't shitposting, you child.
>>
>>50093117
Just filter me already if you don't like it jeez
>>
>>50091411
Ameritrash are boring crap at the moment where you play the same (boring) game over and over again, quit halfway through because it's tedium personified and waste your money.
>>
>>50094010
calling people names is
>>
>>50080812
Played Fury of Dracula and Star Wars Rebellion. Got smacked as Dracula but crushed the rebel scum.

When the hell do I get my Scythe, OP? I'm freaking the hell out!

Love co-op. Haven't played Pandemic Legacy yet, and I'm looking forward to it mightily.
>>
>>50094453
Wait there's Chaos and Magical Realm and
>at the moment
...well, fuck.
>>
>>50088668
I dropped Pandemic off my wishlist the moment I learned I had to destroy the game in order to play it. It'll never get my money no matter how good it is. Destruction I can have in the real world.

Other companies go out of their way to remove all negative associations when buying and using their products, and I have to rip up cards with no easy way to replace them? No thanks.
>>
>>50096707
I still can't get over why the chose this path?
I mean can't you just have an App that adds new rules?

Have it say "Take card #5 out of play" instead of just ripping it up and ruining it.

I really think the whole Legacy thing is bullcrap that can be worked around, and still have the "story build as it goes" feel while keeping the replayability forever.
>>
Can someone give an estimate on the FFG Upcoming times?
I want something that's at the print, how long till it hits the store? Book Depository in specific.
>>
>>50096839
I like one anon's comparison with the score sheets that get provided with certain games; all the cards, stickers, and shit are meant to be used up. Plus one thing Legacy detractors tend to conveniently forget is that you CAN play with the end state of the Legacy (or atleast Pandemic's).

>>50096857
Time estimates are written at the side of the Upcoming page. Going off of memory, I think it's around 2-3+ months between the printers and the store.
>>
File: COLLEKCHUN.jpg (830KB, 1861x1181px) Image search: [Google]
COLLEKCHUN.jpg
830KB, 1861x1181px
>>50090234

Did a massive culling of over 30 games this year

also, not pictured : a bajillion expansions.
>>
>>50097643
How do you get to this size? this is absurd.

I don't have that many video games and I buy them by the bulk on humblebundle.

This is just reckless spending.
Learn to ween of the games you are not playing and start trading some shit.
>>
Well yesterday I played Kingdom Death

Boss monster

I really like it compared to competitive games. I really like the feeling of "if we lose, we all lose together". It's really boring for players to get knocked out early and do nothing for the rest of the game.
>>
>>50097643
How's the AVP game?
>>
Do I buy Terra Mystica Fire and Ice?
I enjoy the base game immensely but I'm afraid F&I wpuld be one of those expansions that add clutter without really expanding the game, though I'm very interested in the new maps
>>
>>50098355
I think that at least one thing from Ice and Fire is worth getting.

The variable turn order board. Also the alternative map better than the original one.

Note: I haven't played much with the expansion and I don't know the game but at least those two elements are good (but I don't know if they are worth the price of the expansion).
>>
>>50094453
Games are boring crap at the moment where you play the same (boring) game over and over again, quit halfway through because it's tedium personified and waste your money
>>
>>50098472
/bgg/ is boring crap at the moment where you shitpost the same (uneducated) opinion over and over again, quit halfway through because no one replies anyway and waste your time.
>>
>>50081055
>Being roughly aware of the amount of cards of certain color in player's hands. Letting the least amount of players do the crises.
These are optimal, but I don't see how any would impact the enjoyment of the game. Paying attention to what colors player's draw is virtually the only way to flush out any secret Cylons. How would the game be improved by turning things into a crap shoot?

In the same sense, how would the game be improved by overspending cards to resolve a crisis? That said, you're overstating how simple this is. Given that the destiny deck can contribute up to a 10 point penalty, you often will be overspending on critical tests to avoid chance of failure. This in turn means that the players who overspent will have less cards to contribute to the next crisis, which might be equally as dire.

>Eventually resulting in cylons being choked of actions and forcing them to reveal themselves at game start, because that lets them do the most harm to humans.
Except the Cylons are easily in the better position. Out of every game we've played, Cylons have won well over 80 percent. In more than one, without ever revealing themselves. The game is punishing enough without direct sabotage. You'll easily be well into the red zone for two or more resources by the end of the game.

More importantly, you're ignoring how much more effective a well timed reveal can be when things are actually on the line. Beginning of the game only has a few civilian ships at risk. You reveal immediately, you can deliver a few hits, but then you're an open Cylon, and have no way of making the same impact at a time when there's far more on the table. Waiting also means there's more likely to be a second cylon which only heightens the impact if you both reveal at once.
>>
>>50098888
> More importantly, you're ignoring how much more effective a well timed reveal can be when things are actually on the line. Beginning of the game only has a few civilian ships at risk. You reveal immediately, you can deliver a few hits, but then you're an open Cylon, and have no way of making the same impact at a time when there's far more on the table. Waiting also means there's more likely to be a second cylon which only heightens the impact if you both reveal at once.

I felt impotent as as cylon. I was the president and had two turns until the end of the game. To lose the humans needed to lose 5 morale. I couldn't do shit to win.
>>
>>50098937
Maybe you were just RNG screwed, but more likely you weren't disruptive enough early on or missed a good opportunity to trash a crisis and reveal.
>>
>>50099018
Should have been more specific. I feel impotent because I didn't know what I could do to leverage that.

All crises did some unimportant stuff so there wasn't point to reveal then, the only thing that I could do through quorum cards is to take the role of CAG and Millitary Commander for myself but that also probably wouldn't do shit.

I just don't know how to play the game and make epic playz
>>
>>50099073
My general rule is that by the third or fourth crysis the humans should be getting pissed enough to start throwing blame at someone to brig / throw out the airlock. Maybe they get you, maybe they get one of their own, but if you're not kicking enough ass to get them freaking out relatively early you're playing too long a con and they're going to get to the end with too many resources.
But then I've only played a half dozen times either.
>>
>>50097903

Not very good. It's gonna get the boot but I'm not sure how I'm going to sell it as I fucking ruined the miniatures when gluing them.

>>50097752

There's just lots of games I like. Also I've been collecting since 2005. There's also a few games I got really cheap. I buy often, but also cull often. If I kept every game I bought, my collection might be twice the size (and full of shit I hate)

And more importantly, I like variety. As much as I love some of those games, I wouldnt want to play them every week.
>>
>>50099487
>Not very good. It's gonna get the boot

I'm reading through the whole saga on the dakka forums. I feel for you guys.
>>
>>50100567
Link plox.
>>
>>50101110
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/556916.page
>>
File: fighting.jpg (245KB, 997x516px) Image search: [Google]
fighting.jpg
245KB, 997x516px
Hey guys I'm looking for a good fighting game that maybe also offers some area control aspects. I browsed boardgamegeek and these are the ones that interest me the most. Again, the main priority is fighting. Good fighting mechanics. If it has area control that's cool too but the main focus should be good fighting.
Which of these would you recommend? Or do you know another game that you would rather recommend?
>>
>>50101237
I've played Kemet, Scythe, and Cry Havoc.
CH is garbage and Scythe isn't about fighting.
>>
>>50101274
Oh, what's so bad about Cry Havoc?

>Scythe isn't about fighting.
It's not? I thought it's about mechs duking it out while conquering territory. What's it about then?
>>
>>50101354
Not that anon, but Scythe is more of an engine building eurogame than an area control conflict oriented game. There's still some combat, but it takes a backseat to the euro elements.

Cry Havoc is poorly balanced schlock with a massive runaway leader problem. It's got some neat ideas, but it's just a miserable game to play in my experience.
>>
>>50101237
Blood Rage has awful fight mechanics. It's actually a cleverly disguised euro once you peel away the norse "theme". The nice miniatures gives it the illusion of being a nice combat game as well. Not a bad game overall but doesn't scratch the itch you are looking for.

My vote would be Kemet, Neuroshima Hex too if you don't mind things a bit more abstract - may want to try out the app first though.
>>
>>50101237
Kemet, Neuroshima Hex!, Mage Wars Arena, ignore the rest except for maybe Stronghold
>>
>>50101354
It's about moving your little men around to harvest resources and protecting them with mechs. Unless you spam combat card generation and have 2+ mechs per territory any fighting leaves you very vulnerable to sniping.
It's really a worker placement game with bolted-on area control aspects and a really neat encounter system, combat takes place only about a couple times a game.

As for Cry Havoc, something felt really "off" to me about it, then someone linked this reviewer in the last thread and I have to agree whole-heartedly with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE

Blood Rage is also atrocious (forgot to mention that one) for reasons listed by another anon here:
>>50040862
>>50040968

Kemet is an amazing game, one of the best I've ever played. Try to find it second-hand because the publisher (Asmodee) is the most cancerous (in every sense of the word: metastasizing, exploitative, unhealthy, and expensive) company in board gaming.

You should also look up GMT, their games are dryer (wood bits or even cardboard chits instead of models, less colorful) but they're always about direct conflict, mechanically interesting, and balanced.
>>
>>50101503
>>50101426
>>50101392
So basically you want Kemet and you probably want it used.
>>
>>50101237
Neuroshima: Hex isn't really about fighting or area control. It's an abstract board game with a very strong spatial component. If that's your cup of tea then get it because in my opinion it's the best out of your pick.

Kemet is the best dudes on a map game I have played. It's very easy to explain and people just dig it. The fighting is based on cards + squad size (and usually you will only have two squads) + upgrades. It's actually pretty simple but allows much freedom.

Haven't played any others. But I'd recommend taking a look at StarCraft or Forbidden Stars.

Also don't forget about player count. I wouldn't play Neuroshima: Hex at any other player count than 2 and I think Kemet is best at 4-5.
>>
>>50101599
*It's an abstract board game disguising itself as a tactical game
>>
Alright thanks for all the fighting game feedback guys! Appreciate it.
>>
>>50101380
>Cry Havoc is poorly balanced schlock with a massive runaway leader problem. It's got some neat ideas, but it's just a miserable game to play in my experience.
Apparently the game was designed as a round robin rather than three dudes working together as you might think. Hell, the rulebook was written for a previous build!
>>
File: Eastern Front 2 map.jpg (113KB, 851x600px) Image search: [Google]
Eastern Front 2 map.jpg
113KB, 851x600px
So what's the best actually-playable-in-one-evening eastern front WWII game? I'm torn between getting No Retreat from GMT or just making a really nice PnP version of Philip Sabin's Eastern Front
>>
>>50102718
Holdfast: Russia maybe? Supposed to be a pretty simple block wargame, but haven't played it myself
>>
>>50102718
Heroes of Normandie
>Eastern front
Shit, nevermind.
>>
What's the heaviest game in your collection?
>>
>>50103506
With or without custom inserts?
>>
>>50103506
Physically, or by scope of rules?
TI3 or Virgin Queen.
>>
>>50103506
Physically, Thunderstone.
Rules-wise... Well, I don't have any eurogames for starters.
>>
>>50103506
TI3/Summoner Wars/Battlecon (everything editions)
>>
>>50103506
Physically, Duel of Ages 2.
Rules-wise, TI3.
>>
>>50103506
Weight: Thunderstone Advance or Legendary
Rules: Eclipse or Caverna
>>
>>50103506
Rules-wise I feel a tie between Steel Wolves and Empire of the Sun, latter being actually playable. Runner-up Fortress Berlin.

Weight-wise A Distant Plain or EotS. Surprisingly heavy game for all hex and chit
>>
>>50103506
Rules-wise, Falling Sky.
Physically, Cthulhu Wars. And all of its expansions.
>>
>>50104233
>Cthulhu Wars. And all of its expansions.

How do you like it?
>>
>>50104602
Personally I love it. It's tied for Kemet for my favorite dudes-on-a-map game, and which I prefer on a given day is largely determined by which side of the bed I woke up on. There's a really deep amount of strategy and subtlety to the game that most games just don't have. It is definitely a game that rewards multiple plays, and it is one where skill very much shows through in performance.
>>
>>50087211
1. Hive
2. Onitama
>>
>>50080812
Hero Realms and 51st State
7th Continent.
I like them.
>>
>>50103506
Physically - Thunderstone Advance
Rules - Pax Porfiriana I've tried to play it solo before introducing it to others and couldn't wrap my head around the rulebook, I've printed out a custom version of the solo rules and a summary of the rules from BGG to try again in the future
>>
File: 84678.jpg (4MB, 2900x2446px) Image search: [Google]
84678.jpg
4MB, 2900x2446px
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/184424/mega-civilization
>Mega Civilization
>5–18 Players
>360–720 Min

What are your thoughts on this?
>>
>>50106740
It's a convention game. Do you run games at conventions? If so, then maybe consider it.
>>
How do I get better at Catan?

I want to crush my grandmother and uncle into the ground.
>>
>>50080812
Was my birthday, so had friends, friends of friends, girlfriends of friends of friends, in laws, and ex-professors over 10 hours.

Got to try out El Grande first, love what I see. Really want to play it at five. Also, Codenames. So much codenames. For a gang that mostly loves their TI3, chaos, and lighter games with high player counts, we just could not put this one down. So much fun and creativity.

Damn Vlaada, you imaginative motherfucker

Falling Sky. Really love the idea of the COIN series, but worried about finding the right people for it. Got a nice mod on tabletop simulator, gonna try the single player mod over the weekend while I master the rules.

Kemet is always on the list, just never pulled the trigger yet.
Thinking more and more that was a mistake.

I am sick of my group asking for Dead of Winter. I enjoyed it, the novelty wore off, I do not feel like dropping 70 loonies on a standalone

Hanabi and The Grizzled are top tier though, and I would love to try Space Alert.
>>
>>50106740
>no chinese civ

It's like they're not even trying.

Would salivate at the prospect of playing this. But I have never gone to a convention, and wouldn't know how to find this even if i did.

Does Mare Nostrum even come close at scratching a similar itch? Dunno if I could get the Virgin Queen to the table.
>>
>>50106935
Look up Antike II
>>
>>50103506
Rules? I have an ASLSK1. Weight? TI3 + SE
>>
>>50107351
Checking it out. Holy shit Ryan Metzler's review of it is awful.

Stop referring to Antike 1, any new player gains nothing by learning of what is new in this edition.
>>
>>50106935
Look at the reviews of the guy linked in >>50101503
he mentions a lot of games you might like in his Scythe and Cry Havoc videos.
>>
>>50107977
>sit through 19 minutes to catch a few names of games I may check out
>only actual review I know i would like is Zimbi Mojo, based on previous reviews from months ago.

Sigh, my hockey team got spanked silly tonight, so I guess I have nothing better to do. Thanks anon.
>>
>>50107977
>>50108049
>ho hum, games i am not going to buy,just listening for some names get dropped
>he starts critiquing stuff
>holy shit this is fun as rips cry havoc a new one
>already enjoyed kemet when i played it, but learning new insights in how it works so well
>end the review, alright, on to scythe
>he mentions antike II, highlights what makes it fun, in several sentences, while Metzler made nothing sound interesting about it in his first five minutes.
>now i KNOW this game needs to be on my radar

I really like being wrong sometimes. This was one of those times.
>>
>>50108560
I wanted to like Cry Havoc so, so badly.
I shot the creator an e-mail a few hours ago asking if I can have access to the art assets so I can make cards of my own.
>>
>>50108560
This guy is the only reviewer I know of who actually critiques.
>>
>>50108699
Michael Barnes does/did, but he is an oooold curmudgeon (in internet years) known more for getting banned off BGG in the late 00's than his reviews.

He is the guy that made me aware of Cave Evil, Shadows of Malice, Zimbi Mojo, Theseus, Impulse, The Mushroom Eaters, as well as tons of classic German games from the 90s. Was my go to reviewer, along with the rest of the Fortress Ameritrash crowd, from 2008-2014 when I was really learning what I liked in the hobby.

Shame the amount of content on the site fell dramatically in recent years. Was a nice breath of fresh air compared to the 'geek, despite the clique club atmosphere going on.
>>
A bump in the night keeps good threads alight
>>
>>50108867
If you like Fortress Ameritrash, I'd look into Space-Biff as I've always found his reviews to be both informative and amusing in similar vein to Fortress Ameritrash
>>
Finally played Mechs vs Minions. We just played the first scenario, but deffo looking forward to mission 2
>>50106723
>Pax Porfiriana
Print out the 11x17 double sided player aids on boardgamegeek (files section for the game). Get them laminated. Having those at hand will definitely help. Instead of teaching your players yourself, have them watch the hour long YouTube tutorial on their own time. Then the night before sitting down to play, go over BGG's top rules threads. There should be one on oft-forgotten rules (everyone forgets strife).

At least that's how I got it to the table. Your first game will still take 3.5-6 hours (hope to god someone wins on one of the first two topple cards your first game).
>>50106740
I desperately want to play at least once. Been panging for it since release.
>>
>>50108699
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-e9uskR9f8
>race for the galaxy is superior to terraforming mars as a semi-solitaire tableau builder unless you have a hard-on for hard sci-fi
Having played neither I can't comment. Anyone want to pitch in?
>>
>>50110861
>MvM
Thoughts? Is it fun or is it the overhyped steaming pile of shit that /bgg/ claims it is? What about replayability?
>>
>>50098355
New map is just so better it's not even funny, turn order is great, new objectives are excellent at balancing cults (imho) and all 6 new factions have each a nice thing to bring, two of them (the ice factions) are pretty regular factions with a twist, while the two others are radically different, which is nice for a change.

Frankly the expansion is really great (though a bit costy in my country at least), it changes two dreadful things very efficiently (turn order and the map), balance the too powerful cults and all the new factions are interesting (though I dislike like half of them, but at least the other half are hilarious to play). It's just great.

We printed the three cities by ourselves and they are really great as well, especially the shipping one which is a great addition.
>>
>>50108867
How do you even get banned from /bgg/?
>>
File: hermit crabs.jpg (174KB, 900x844px) Image search: [Google]
hermit crabs.jpg
174KB, 900x844px
>mfw two recovering WoW addicts and i play the WoW boardgame

not bad but doesn't make me want to come back for more, that and the price make it a hard no.
>>
Guys, did anyone here try Smash Up with 6 players?

I got the game + AL9000 expansion, how does it run with 6 players?
>>
>>50112094
It's super slow and stupidly long, the game is up to 4 for a reason.
>>
What are the Euro games, and why are they supposed to be perfect?
>>
I cam across a super good print and play version of Cutthroat Caverns, would you say there is something major about buying the game rather than using a PnP?

Are the material high quality or will a good PnP do?
>>
>>50112487
Euro games are a genre. They are characterized by:
> Low to very low amount of randomness
> Low to non existent amounts of hidden information
> Medium to low amount of player interaction
> No player elimination
> Winning by points (versus player elimination or goal achievement)
> Friendly to new gamers
> The theme is only a pretext to explore game mechanics

Examples: Powergrid, Settlers of Catan, Terra Mystica.

If the above is your definition of perfect then they are perfect.

The above can be contrasted to american style games (or ameritrash)
> High to medium amount of randomness
> High to medium amounts of hidden information
> High amount of player interaction
> Player elimination is commonly a thing
> Winning by points, player elimination or achievements
> Can be unfriendly to new gamers (because of the amounts of hidden information)
> Heavy on theme

Examples:
Arkham Horror, Talisman, Last Night on Earth, Fury of Dracula
>>
Not a damn thing, but I got to play Quicksand and that Princess Bride card game on Tuesday. I've got a meetup tomorrow, so I should be able to play something else
Honestly, I've got everything I want, so I'm just saving my money away like a good little wage slave.
Fun, as long as you don't have The One Guy telling everyone else how to play.
>>
>>50112813
>that Princess Bride card game
Huh? Is it new/old? Any good?
>>
>>50103506
Viticulture: Essential Edition, in both senses. It might be Fleet Captains but I haven't played it yet.
>>50111877
That's a damn good question...
>>50112868
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169459/princess-bride-battle-wits

It's better than BGG would like you to think.
>>
>>50112509
sharing is caring, anon
>>
>>50112487
>Euro Games
http://www.eurovision.tv/page/timeline
the olympics aren't this competitive
>>
>>50113179
no one cares though
>>
>>50106935
Mare Nostrum is REALLY good - but I don't know if I can say that it scratches the big sprawling civ game itch, it's just TOO elegant and quick. It's not a lightweight game by any means, but it's had all the fat aggressively trimmed off. You wouldn't find leonard nimoy narrating the tech advances in there. Well, maybe, but it's not a slow comfortable game.
>>
>>50112487
Euro games are generally board games in which the gameplay is largely player driven strategy as opposed to Ameritrash which are luck-based randomfests.
>>
>>50114155
That's extremely reductive. It's accurate that, on average, there's less luck in eurogames, but catan has horrible RNG and is absolutely a euro.
Kemet is almost entirely nonrandom and is absolutely not a euro - it's at most a hybrid.
>>
>>50114083
I guess I should clarify, i am not one who needs my civ games to go through the ages, something that tackles multiple ways to achieve victory, maybe a bit of asymmetry.

I love chaos in the old world, twilight imperium, and enjoyed the way ground was controlled in Struggle of Empires, despite the rest of my friends really disliking it.

So, if mare nostrum is a great game with necessary trimmings removed, as you say, I should look more into it.

What makes it so good? I trust the STEEV-gospel most of the time
but i will still play ti3 with 5-6 people when i can
>>
>>50111173
Race if a fun tableau building game where you are developping an "empire" by playing cards and creating synergies throough abilities. The cards are used for everything: how much is in your hand is how much money you have, you create products to sell for $/VPs by taking cards from the stock deck and placing them on planets, etc. Problem is, to save space and components, everything is done with icons, which overwhelms a lot of people.

I really enjoyed it, friends were lukewarm. Roll for the Galaxy fixed a few issues we had with Race, but it is so much more expensive. I only play a friends copy or online using tabletop simulator. But hey, dice rolling is always an itch I'll have scratched when possible.

No clue on the new mars game. But the Race/Roll games are quit fun for what they are.
>>
>>50111192
The tutorial is lame imo and I recommend just skipping it and teaching the game the normal way. Mission 1 is good though. What should be shit about it? It moved at a quick pace, presented interesting drafting decisions, and the objective itself was decently challenging. Choosing how to slot/scrap a card, and how to move as a result got us all talking ("Do you mind if I bump you? If I go here does that do anything for us? I'm scrapping for repair so I don't fuck you, so please clear those dudes for me, m'kay?") Biggest con: shitty internet memes in the mission booklets.

Replayability is fine, but when I open some of the later envelopes I'd probably want to replay something that uses more than 2 map tiles. That said, I'm going to try to play this mission again with new people Sunday.

I actually started Friday night off with a really boring co-op called Bloc by Bloc. There aren't that many actions you can take. It mostly amounted to waiting to have enough cubes and cards to take on the cops and hoping you don't get fucked by random events. It borrows a lot from dead of winter yet results in a far, far worse game.

I don't usually get riled up about shit games anymore, but damn this one is getting to me. I checked the KS for Bloc by Bloc and they sold that turd for $50. With small cubes, small dice, and boring, random gameplay. 750 people fell for it. Fuck Kickstarter
>>50111877
Not /boardgamegeneral/, BoardGameGeek. There are lots of fuckheads on there that get banned all the time. Some are banned for pretty tame shit though. They run moderation a little hamfistedly there
>>50112094
Pls no
>>50112509
Honestly the encounter cards are a weird plasticky texture. They will hold up, but with pointy corners that will get beat up. The attack/action cards are great though, much better than you'll ever get PnP.
>>
>>50114180
For me the difference is how the randomness is introduced relative to the decision points. In Ameritrash you decide to attempt to do something then a RNG determines if you succeed. In Euros random shit happens, and you decide how to deal with it or take advantage of it.
>>
>>50114217
Victory conditions are varied and all viable an interesting - develop five heroes/wonders/techs, assemble the twelve different resources needed to build the pyramids, be the guy with the most troops, most cities and temples, and most markets at once, or take over a bunch of foreign capitals / legendary neutral cities.
Resource system is really interesting and makes different territories of radically different values to different empires.
Asymmetry looks subtle on paper but is absolutely huge ingame, same goes for the heroes and wonders that stand in for technologies in the game.
Trade is super political, or at least should be, just sitting quietly and taking whatever you want without paying careful attention is a fast track to someone winning via building the pyramids.
Leaders sysem gives players very, very strong agency in controlling each segment of the game. Something like picking how many resources are traded or in what order people build or move doesn't sound like much, but the effects are impossible to overstate, the game has almost always been won via control of one of these abilities at a critical moment in my experience.
The worst thing I can say about it is that the combat is dice driven, but it's still about the most predictable and deterministic dice combat system I've played with. And I guess some of the components are a little subpar, like the little player screens.

>>50112094
Not well. I actively avoid smash up with more than four, the clutter is incredible.
>>
>>50112094
It is best at 3, to be honest.
>>
>>50114327
That sounds very intriguing. Is the empires version worth considering, or should I hunt down an older copy?

My gang loves chaos and ti3, so dice driven combat really is not an issue.

Shit, in the past 24 hours, I have added Mare Nostrum, Antike II, and Ortus Regni, and re-convinced myself I should get Epic, Blue Moon Legends, and Kemet.

I do not start my new job until the 14th, and still have some Lego purchases on bricklink I need to wrap up.

Being patient is a bitch.
>>
>>50114385
The new version is an order of magnitude better at least, absolutely don't bother hunting the old version.
The atlas expansion is pretty optional though, only really needed for adding support for 6 or 2 players.

I keep meaning to try out Antike and Blue Moon.
>>
>>50114303
I am just wondering if I should print out everything black and white on normal paper and make a hasty trial version so we can test it out with the group, and if we like it we can buy the real Cutthroat Caverns for like 30$.

Or if I am already doing all the printing and cutting, I can just print it on quality paper and and laminate whatever needs laminating, saving me the cost.

I also have the expansions on the PnP version if I ever want it.
>>
>>50114303
Err sorry, yeah I meant boardgamegeek.
>>
>>50114180
That's why I said generally.
>>
>>50114457
Personally I wouldn't go through all that, but that's me. I suspect that you live outside the US, because here a quality print job would cost more for me than just buying the damn game
>>
>>50114567
Work at a print house, so I get access to all kinds of paper and printers for free.

Still takes a ton of time to print and cut, but I already bought like 4 games this month, so I dont want to waste more money, even though 30$ isnt super expensive.
>>
Best 3 player games?
>>
File: churchill.jpg (292KB, 647x866px) Image search: [Google]
churchill.jpg
292KB, 647x866px
>>50115232
>>
File: triumph&tragedy.jpg (360KB, 647x863px) Image search: [Google]
triumph&tragedy.jpg
360KB, 647x863px
>>50115232
>>
>>50115309
Looks great, but maybe something with a shorter play time?
>>
File: le havre.jpg (358KB, 888x1236px) Image search: [Google]
le havre.jpg
358KB, 888x1236px
>>50115232
Can't go better when it comes to 3-player action.
>>
>>50115309
Disappointing final scoring: the game.
>>
>>50112707
Euro is well defined and that's an ok list, though I would say friendly to be gamers is not at all a requirement. The point where controversy starts is Ameritrash isn't something that breaks all of that at once. It's a very vague term referring to games that break two or three of those.
>>
File: IMG_1007.jpg (308KB, 700x474px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1007.jpg
308KB, 700x474px
>>50115232
I don't care if it's cult of the new, asymmetric ameritrash is the best.
>>
>>50117397
>No Enterprise captain
Best thing about this game.
>>
>>50117420
They know their audience.

The 50th anniversary edition cards that came with it are pretty awesome, though I found out after I purchased that if I'd have preordered from CSI I'd have gotten plastic models for space stations.

My only irritant is that GF9 isn't releasing Cardassians or Ferengi until December.
>>
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tag/5855536873.html

any good
>>
>>50112707
> Winning by points (versus player elimination or goal achievement)
Euro games usually have plenty of minor goals or objectives that bump you up in points, so both genres actually have that in spades.

> Friendly to new gamers
I'd argue that this depends on the game. Both games have examples on one end where the game can be picked up quickly with little rules explanation, and on the other end where you absolutely MUST explain everything before starting to avoid a negative player experience.
>>
/tg/ I recently got into board games, currently I only have Catan and Carcassone. I want to try an ameritrash, what do you guys recommend for first timers?
I also wonder about expanding Catan. Carcassone got miles better with some expansions, is Catan the same?
>>
>>50117692
Diplomacy and Starship Troopers worth trying just to say you've played them.

>>50117781
Hm...it is at this point I realize a lot of the trashy games I love are not necessarily beginner friendly, also, where are the genre lines drawn? Kemet should be recommended, as it involves combat, but most people here would describe it as a hybrid. Galaxy Trucker is thematic as fuck, but it isn't dudes on a map pew pewing each other, and is by a prominent euro game designer.

Fuck it, here are some games you should play that are just not considered concrete euros, and won't take all day/a thousand trips to the FAQ (hopefully):
Small World is the closest I can think of to baby's first trashy game. Simple, and all about contesting territory with different fantasy races.
Cosmic Encounter
Kemet
Blood Bowl: Team Manager
Galaxy Trucker
Nightfall
Robo Rally
El Grande
Innovation
Smash Up!
There are plenty of fun, trashy/non-euro two player games as well:

Summoner Wars
Battlecon (think street fighter meets card games while keeping the spatial elements)
Hive
Twilight Struggle

Social deduction/team games might also be up your alley:
Sheriff of Nottingham
Coup
Codenames
Shadow Hunters
Avalon

This list probably sucks, but hey, most, if not all, of these games are worth trying at a board game cafe/pub or at a friends house if they own it. There are plenty of games that are a blast to play, I just wouldn't want to own them.
>>
>>50118333
Diplomacy has the added benefit of being the objectively best game ever invented.
>>
>>50118365
Oh, right, that game is an ameritrash classic. Catan and Carcasonne anon: look into that one!
>>
>>50118387
It's like the opposite of all Ameritrash. It's probably the best example of why the division isn't actually a division, just two opposed groups in a sea of other, non-aligned games.
>>
>>50118333
>>50118387
Shit, thanks mate. Time to spend my cash.
>>
>>50118445
Well, do your research first. See what themes grab you (that is supposed to be what trash does best: wed themes to mechanics), see what a couple folks say online, and then add so much to your cart you get that free shipping offer.
>>
>>50118488
Woah, mechanics is a big word for an Ameritrash game. Ameritrash weds theme to mechanics the exact same way Euros do, by completely ignoring one of the sides. Euros ignores theme, Ameritrash ignores mechanics.
>>
>>50118965
>here's your (you)
>>
>>50118997
>I disagree, therefore he must be a troll

I don't remember bgg being this full of faggots in the past.
>>
>>50119072
Your memory is shit.

Also (You).
>>
>>50119072
Were you not in the past couple of bgg threads?
Endless shitposting and bait.
See a previous anon who mentioned the lack of a division between the two most prominent genres. That is something that can jumpstart an interesting discussion on the eternal debate without pushing anyone's shit in.

But hey, let's all scream /pol and /reddit instead of calling a spade a spade, amirite?
>>
>>50119152
But hey, let's all just scream troll instead of rebutting anything.

This is the most perfect description for what makes a Euro and an Ameritrash. Euro is all game and strategy, theme is purely for marketing. Ameritrash is all theme and story, mechanics are more or less just there to say what happens.
>>
>>50119354
troll
>>
So 2016 has been a pretty flat year as far as the stuff people hyped up but what is your top games of the year? Scythe probably is the one game that gives me hope for the future.
>>
>>50119819
Falling Sky. Lots of hype, and I'd say it delivered and more, and an expansion is already in the works!
>>
>>50119819
Project Elite turned out bloody amazing. For what it is, which is a dice chucking adrenaline filled real time co-op game, it honestly rules the roost for its niche.

51st State: Master Set turned out quite good. It takes what worked in Imperial Settlers, and makes it better. It's definitely an incremental improvement, but I enjoyed it.

Millennium Blades. Just, Millennium Blades.

I'd also second Falling Sky, which was quite excellent.

All told, I don't feel like it was a bad year, at least for me and my collection.
>>
>>50119819
>>50120063
These two plus Terraforming Mars have lived up to the hype for me. World's Fair 1893 and Ninja Camp are some smaller led hyped games that I've also really enjoyed.
>>
>>50120224
>led hyped
Less hyped
>>
File: IMG_0383.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0383.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>50080812
FUCK YEAH, ECKLUND
>>
File: 1478393108428.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1478393108428.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>50121482
FUCK NAH, IPHONE
>>
>>50121482
huh...would have thought the South African version would be in Afrikaans
>>
>>50118406
>why the division isn't actually a division
Generally, Ameritrash is about direct conflict, Eurogames are about indirect conflict.
In Agricola someone might use the space you need. In Americola someone throws a coke can at your head.
>>
>>50114327
>The worst thing I can say about it is that the combat is dice driven
Sounds like a pro to me.
>>
>>50117397
Who are the Klingons? Kang, Martok, and Lursa?
>>
File: 7b9[1].png (531KB, 497x732px) Image search: [Google]
7b9[1].png
531KB, 497x732px
>>50118365
Too bad it lost that title to Twilight Struggle.
>>50118965
This is why wargames are the best
>tfw can't tell if twilight struggle or kemet were developed bottom-up or top-down
I'd throw CitOW in but we know it was developed top-down.
>>
>>50104233
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLZhtD3OZ_JlbAG72t-jUqPno5UisvGW0V&v=v4VE2WGlyW8
Is The Gods War a reskinned Cthulhu Wars?
>>
File: my-nigga.jpg (42KB, 552x464px) Image search: [Google]
my-nigga.jpg
42KB, 552x464px
>>50120063
>Falling Sky
Super fucking hype for Colonial Twilight and Pendragon.
>>
>>50122115
It's a sister game, but there's enough different there that it deserves to be its own thing. It's a little deeper, a little more complicated, but also a bit cleaned up in other areas.

For what it's worth, I own Cthulhu Wars and still backed Gods War.
>>
>>50122441
>deeper, more complicated, cleaned up compared to cthulhu wars
Guess I'm backing.
>>
>>50122461
Welcome to the club, then, brother.

There's a pair of full playthroughs of their beta version on the Petersen Games youtube channel, so I'd recommend watching those to get a feel for the game. It's not a cheap game, so make sure you know what you're getting, IMO.
>>
>>50122531
Nah, I know what I'm doing, thanks.
>>
>>50122531
>>50122572
And even if I don't end up liking it I can sit on it for a year and break even on eBay at the very least.
>>
File: ulm.jpg (109KB, 650x639px) Image search: [Google]
ulm.jpg
109KB, 650x639px
Your thoughts on this
>>
>>50123362
I dunno lemme mul it over
>>
>>50117463
>Cardasian ferengi expansion
Shit, now I have to buy it.
>>
>>50123609
>expansion
>singular
$30 a faction.
I'll buy it anyway, not like I'm throwing money at Asmodee or Game Salute.
>>
>>50119354
>mechanics are more or less just there to say what happens.
But that's wrong anon. That's what the flavor text on every card is for!

thanks, fantasy flight games!
>>
>>50120063
OK, so I have a big problem.
I now need to decide what to get first. Either:
Falling Sky
Made Nostrum
Antike II
Ortus Regni
Blue Moon Legends

Was thinking about including Kemet, but I just got El Grande, and CitOW could still use some more loving.

Epic will be on a Xmas stocking stuffer wish list.

What do, /bgg?
>>
File: wishlist2.jpg (767KB, 1581x924px) Image search: [Google]
wishlist2.jpg
767KB, 1581x924px
Jesus I think my wishlist is getting out of hand. Granted many of the entries on my list are cases of "that sounds interesting better put it on my list so I don't forget to read up on it some time later" but still. How do you guys keep your wishlist in check?
>>
>>50123851
I deal with it by forgetting what I want and not getting too involves with board game geek or the /bgg during that period.

Then I come back, ask some questions, get feedback, and BAM, seven new games added to the list.

Btw, try to get a used copy of Tigris and Euphrates, an older edition, or try the app version first. FFG is price gouging thay copy like mad, that game is NOT worth the msrp of 60-70$. They are doing the same thing with Ra, except at least with T&E you get nice components.

Also, you have a lot of mars/space colonization games. Try to figure out which one you can love without.

Fantastic list otherwise. I can see why you'd be having trouble with it.

You forgot all the Neuroshima Hex! expansions you are going to require, btw :^)
>>
>>50123780
>and CitOW could still use some more loving
Get it before it goes OOP, FFG loses the license in March IIRC and CitOW is getting like one more print run, maybe.
>>
>>50123953
>except at least with T&E you get nice components.
FFG T&E uses plastic, the older eds use wood.
>>
>>50123851
I read up on games, figure if they appeal to me mechanically and thematically. I look for stuff that's not too expensive or hard to get in LatAm. Expansions go on the back burner until base game has enough plays and is significantly improved by them.
As new stuff comes out I'll rarely jump on it, just wait a few months till hype dies out, games get plays, opinions are grounded and flaws start to show.
>>
>>50123953
>Also, you have a lot of mars/space colonization games. Try to figure out which one you can love without.
Yeah for some reason there are a bunch of mars games scheduled for 2016/17 and I just put the ones that intrigued me the most on the list. No way am I gonna get more than one.

>You forgot all the Neuroshima Hex! expansions you are going to require, btw :^)
Oh god I didn't even know. is Neuroshima Hex at least worth it?
>>
>>50123989
I found a Spanish edition (Devir) T&E for around $35 with wooden components, nicer and cheaper than the Asmo-dickwad edition.
>>
>>50124063
>>50123953
I just checked boardgamegeek and wtf why are there so many Neuroshima Hex expansions? Are they necessary? Which ones are good?
>>
>>50124086
In the US you'd look for Mayfare.
>>
>>50124099
>necessary
No.
>good
How bored are you with the current factions?
>>
>>50124063
I love Neuroshima, mobile port is great, speeds up play and takes care of initiative and combat resolution. Try digital out first, then decide if you want a physical copy on your shelf.
Base game has enough to keep your interest for a long time, but you'll likely want to expand afterwards.
I have Babel 13, Duel, Doomsday Machine and Dancer, trying to get a hold of the other 5or 6 armies. My favorite faction so far is Neojungle. There's also a lot of fan made content on BGG you can PnP
>>
>>50124145
Yeah, but Mayfair is OOP, and Devir is still in print.
>>
>>50124406
I can find the Mayfair edition much more cheaply on bgg market than I can find the Devir edition anywhere. It's fucking $1000 an US and Mexican Amazon and not even present on Brazilian Amazon.
>>
File: pic840712_lg.jpg (123KB, 726x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pic840712_lg.jpg
123KB, 726x1024px
Are there other high rated board games which Vassel has such a strong hatred towards, to the point that it seems like he's purposely ignoring it in order to avoid controversy?
>>
>>50124847
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjiWoqviW50

Vasel lambasted Hawaii. It's not a bad game, but all his cockgobbling fanbois followed suit, and the game lost a fuckton of potential sales.
Hatsy Fats can singlehandedly sink a game or a designer. That should not fucking happen.
>>
File: IMG_0386.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0386.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>50121482
>>
>catan is 30$ used
i thought this game was popular
>>
>>50124922

Sure, but at least he's reviewed it and expressed various thoughts about it. I have a hard time believing that he'll even make an review with Jason at this point. He'll probably review 1830 before he even touches Imperial.

Good thing Eric brings it up now and then.
>>
>>50124922
This would be hilarious if the game actually deserved it.
>>
Looking to pick up some new games, wondering what you guys think of the following:

Kingdom Builder
Mysterium
Terra Mystica
Welcome to the Dungeon
Tokaido
Smallworld
The Grizzled
Elysium
The castles of Burgundy
Five Tribes
San Juan
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival

Lot of variety in here, just looking to get some honest feedback. Looking for games that I will still want to play in 5 years.
>>
>>50123362
Go watch the rahdo, his thoughts are now your thoughts.
>>
>>50125815
>Yes
Terra Mystica + Expansion
Castles of Burgundy
Race for the Galaxy
Kingdom Builder (maybe)

>No
other stuff
>>
File: pic833528_lg.jpg (478KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pic833528_lg.jpg
478KB, 1024x768px
>>50123851
I don't buy a game until I've had time to mull it over, and I also tend to check back on the things that got me interested in it in the first place a few months later to see if it still excites me (I'm looking at you shut up and sit down and rahdo videos). will also often check them out in tabletop sim to get a good feel for them, although that's a recent addition that I did okay without previously

as for keeping track on bgg, I put the "that sounds interesting" games like you mentioned under "want to play" and the games that I've looked into multiple times and I'm confident on as "want to buy". I've found that works better than trying to use their wishlist system

I learned pretty quickly to not let myself buy a game based on personal hype. one of my earlier purchases was seeland, which isn't a bad game by any means and was only like $18, but I don't think I would have bought it had I gone through my current system.

I was already making a purchase and needed something else if I wanted free shipping. I had recently watched rahdo's video on it and his enthusiasm + me focusing on one neat mechanic, his comparisons to carcassonne which I enjoy, and these awesome windmill meeples had me personally hyped enough to get it. it's one of those games that's fine to own if you plan on having a fuckhuge collection, but my goal is to have a super lean collection of only the games I consider to be basically perfect.
>>
>>50126492
>no grizzled
Granted, it is one of those hit-or-miss games.
>>
>>50126492
Race for the Galaxy isn't on there lol
>>
>>50126514
>shut up and sit down
>gleaning anything from them except how SJW liberal and retarded they are.
>>
What's your go-to game review channel?
>>
>>50126615
/bgg/
>>
>>50126615
the cashier at my flgs
>>
>>50126571
point to a video not done in the last few months where their sjwness comes through
>>
>>50126672
Well I also said retarded, probably should have put lolsorandumb in there too just to cover my bases. Basically, they're trash garbage.
>>
>>50125815
>Kingdom Builder
Own digital version, haven't played it in forever. Kinda slow, passive/aggressive and a bad terrain draw can really cripple you.
>Mysterium
Fun. If you get a good ghost. Else you'll just end up scratching your heads, frustrated and confused.
>Terra Mystica
Own it w/o expansion. Still honeymooning, haven't noticed anything that might break the game or kill the fun.
>Welcome to the Dungeon
No idea
>Tokaido
Chill, pretty, fun, some depth, not a lot of replayability. Some people won't play w/o the expansion, some people won't play at all.
>Small world
I hate it. I'd rather play another area control game. Combo races give it some replayability, but it feels gimmicky to me. I'm so bad at it.
>The Grizzled
On my wishlist, heard nothing but praise for it. Probably avoid if you're not a coop fan.
>Elysium
No clue.
>The castles of Burgundy
Very yes. Good stuff.
>Five Tribes
Mancala meets point salad euro. I like it a lot, lots of interesting decisions. Chaos increases with player count.
>San Juan
One of the best hand management card games out there. Supposed to be Puerto Rico Lite, but it is its own entity. Similarities are skin deep.
>Lanterns: The Harvest Festival
Only read reviews, seems it's not too bad, but people were disappointed. Pasted on theme for a set collection abstract tile layer.
>>
Which games have the following features:

> The game features units
> The game has a spatial component (i.e units occupy a space - but it doesn't have to be a map)
> At least 3 distinct unit types and more than 10 units total
> The player has to manage his economy and there is more than one type of resource
> Resources may used to buy/upgrade units
> There are multiple paths to victory (political, economical, military etc)
> More than 2 players

I'm am purposefully keeping the definition somewhat vagueish.

I think TI3 qualifies (not sure about the economy, though). What other games do you know that have those features? Not interested in games that have only some of them but not all.
>>
>>50127888
Civilization
>>
>>50127888
Starcraft fills the quota, plus it has variable player powers and optional winning conditions
Forbidden Stars too
>>
>>50128397
Will check out, thanks.
>>50128417
No multiple paths to victory
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
Printing out Cutthroat Caverns, what should I use as playing pieces?
I'm also big into PnP, so something that can universally stand in for moving pieces (I also need something to put on my Smash Up base mats).

Something along the line of pic related.
any recommendations?
>>
>>50127888
see >>50115524

>The game features units
Being a block wargame, not the most exciting units, but units nonetheless
>The game has a spatial component (i.e units occupy a space - but it doesn't have to be a map)
Uh, yeah, wargame, units on map.
>At least 3 distinct unit types and more than 10 units total
Infantry, tanks, air, forts, submarines, fleets, and aircraft carriers. 200+ total units spread between 3 players.
>The player has to manage his economy and there is more than one type of resource
Economy/production is made up of three components - Industry, Population, Resources. Whichever is lowest during production phase is production limit for that turn. Production used to buy actions within politics, unit purchase/upgrades, tech research, industry, military orders, uh maybe som more I can't remember atm
>Resources may used to buy/upgrade units
Ye
>There are multiple paths to victory (political, economical, military etc)
Either one of three insta-win conditions or an end-of-game VP count - Economic Victory, Military Victory, Atomic Victory, Economic Hegemony.
>More than 2 players
Just barely, 3 players.

2nd printing should be very soon, which is coming with thicker counters and an actually mounted mapboard.
>>
>>50128662
Cardboard standees could do the trick. Print a 2d figure you like, reverse image and print the other side, mount on cardboard.
>>
>>50128472
Victory points
Player elimination
Special faction objectives

Granted they're not very diverse or interesting, but there's more than one. So, multiple paths to visctory, like you asked.
>>
>>50128678
Thanks will have a closer look, I actually thought about buying Triumph and Tragedy as a 3p game but Churchill seemed more fun.

And then I noticed the prices for both.

If there's a reprint and the price will be dragged down I might grab it, though.
>>50128758
Dude naw. I own Starcraft and it's one of my favorite games but I'm talking about a separate dimension of victory conditions.

The victory conditions of Starcraft all stem from military might. There's no political victory, no economic victory etc.
>>
>>50128691
Nah, I want something solid, Cardboard standees can break and bend, and they are gonna be filling in for a couple of games and take a lot of abuse.

I'll look for some wooden pieces, shouldnt be more than 1$ each
>>
File: pic2582929.jpg (636KB, 1905x2732px) Image search: [Google]
pic2582929.jpg
636KB, 1905x2732px
>>50080812
Agricola

Escape from Colditz

I like them, although sometimes it's difficult to truly enjoy them. Most of the times I play a coop game people end up watching their phones while the other player takes his turn. That's what I like about Shadows Over Camelot, the Traitor role gives people something to look and pay atention while not on their turns.

on another note, what do you guys think about this one? I'm not against party games, in fact I have some of them, but the more I see at this the more it looks like a piece of shit
>>
>>50127888
Mare Nostrum, though not everyone will have access to a third unit type.
>>
>>50128889
Pictures is considerably better than the original. It is an odd in-between. Sometimes I'll call it a party game, but with my actual group, we take it seriously enough that it is just a lite team game. I still like the original, but wouldn't play it anymore now that I have Pictures.
>>
>>50128889
it's probably my favorite party game. it's gone over fantastically with absolutely everyone I've introduced it to. pictures is more appealing to most people, but I have an easier time with the words
>>
>>50081899
I've played Arkham Horror multiple times with different combinations of expansions, and I'm gonna agree with >>50083574 that the game is beyond flawed. Most of the times the problem is it's TOO FUCKING EASY. I've been just wandering around having nothing to do in the board because someone was already taking care of it. I feel they went quite hard on the cthulu theme and forgot to make an appealing gameplay
>>
>>50128921
>>50128941
thanks for the feedback :)

some people told me it was good but they were mostly casuals. nice to have an opinion on it too
>>
>>50125815
>Mysterium
I'ma good ghost and everyone loves playing it with me, and I'm OK with being silent all game. When one of my friends tried being the ghost though, she not only hated trying to be quiet but also just got stupidly frustrated whenever the team got stuck. She nearly quit half way through out of anger where as my demeanor is very calm and to laugh along with people when they misinterpret a clue.
>Smallworld
Some people I've seen hate it who I thought would like it, others I've seen love it who I thought would scoff at it. I'm in the really enjoy it category. My brother who loves pretty intense deeper war games also surprisingly will always play it with me. A friend of mine though who is a lot like my brother absolutely hates it though. It's just so strangely polarizing for what seems like an innocent and light but not too random game. I was really surprised for being a light easy game how many options you get.
>>
>>50128860
/bgg/ which one should I get?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-16mm-16mm-6pcs-pawn-chess-6-colors-wooden-game-pieces-educational-toys-board-game/32584637039.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.180.5ca0Ym&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10091_10090_10088_10089,searchweb201603_1&btsid=1eadca47-092c-440f-9cf4-17f16e07d97f

or

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-25mm-10pcs-mixed-colors-pawn-chess-plastic-game-pieces-for-board-game-card-game/32611577820.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.137.5ca0Ym&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10091_10090_10088_10089,searchweb201603_1&btsid=1eadca47-092c-440f-9cf4-17f16e07d97f
>>
>>50111192
Played mission 2. Had a moment at the end where I fucked up and almost cost us the game. That said, there's a kind of leeway built into this game (or maybe I just built a uniquely flexible command line) that lets you rejigger your whole path with the one card draft. It's neat
>>50127888
Because of the weird way you asked, my mind immediately went to Deus. It's a very different game. The "units" are technically buildings, but one of them is a soldier who can move around and be used aggressively. Everything technically fits your description

This doesn't have units, but try Innovation since it almost fits

So long as you're somewhat loose with what "units" are and what "multiple paths to victory" means, you could be describing a Martin Wallace train game
>>50128889
It's not a piece of shit. However I've played it enough (7-8 times) to be done with it
>>
>>50128945
>went quite hard on the cthulu theme
Not even that really, it's a monster game with a cthulhu color, but it's nothing like a Lovecraftian game. I mean, blasting monsters three times your height with mi-go laser cannons right before sealing an interdimensional portal that is throwing up shoggoth is hardly Lovecraftian.
>>
>>50119819
I'm surprised how little I hear of Rebellion. It's probably my favorite of the year. The playtime is a commitment and 4 player mode was disappointingly a joke, but the mechanics are really unique, there's a lot of flexibility for strategy, and everything out does just works well together.
>>
Thank you guys for the propositions so far.

>>50129089
>>50128910

> Deus
> Innovation
> Mare Nostrum

Ok, technically fits but I'll amend my definition. I was actually thinking about Mare Nostrum when I wrote the previous definition and wanted to exclude it, guess I failed.

> The game features units which for the purpose of the discussion are player controllable "thingies" that can be used to move and attack.
> The game features fighting prominently but fighting doesn't have to be the main feature of the game.
> In a typical game the player will control at least 3 distinct unit types and more than 10 units total
Rest the same.

I didn't want to make the definition to concrete so that people won't go "ah he wants a war game" or "empire builder". I'd be fine with something like Legeod of the Five Rigs or the old Star Wars CCG (sans player requirement) for example.
>>
>>50126672
/bgg/ used to love the britbongs on SU&SD
>>
>>50126672
Lewis and Clark vid got a lot of flak, they start by calling BGG misogynistic and then bitch about the color of meeples.
>>
>>50129416
To be fair, for a long time boardgamegeek WAS terribly misogynistic. The top rated picture on a ton of popular games was a lady or girl playing the game with really inappropriate comments (a few times I saw people postulating on the future sexual fitness of a person's young daughter playing a game in a picture). Beyond that, the constant suggestions for "games to play with the wife" usually end up being for something only a step removed from snakes and ladders or just typical gender role reinforcement (love letter, patchwork, etc)
>>
>>50129508
You know you're posting on a Pakistani animation web ring where calling people niggers is acceptable?

I mean even if what you're saying is true, do you think people here care?
>>
>>50129508
>WAS
I think you mean IS. Embrace the rightful order of things.
>>
>>50129508
>>50129700
Yup, don't care.
>>
>>50129508
Love Letter is a game about wooing a princess. It has as much to do with feminine identity as The Princess Bride. If R ever gets a not-shit release it would replace Love Letter as the Kanai Factory couples game
>>
Does Twilight Struggle has some kind of replayability or once you played one game it loses all magic?
>>
>>50131138
Very replayable, it's widely considered one of the best two player games ever concieved.
>>
>>50131253
What makes it so great? Sadly I never played it.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.