[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG: Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 18

File: here comes dat boi.jpg (163KB, 464x664px) Image search: [Google]
here comes dat boi.jpg
163KB, 464x664px
$$$ COMPETITIVE MODERN $$$

Decklists:
>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Starting a new thread to preempt the custom card autism in the other thread. NO custom cards, NO Rev for 15, NO Frontier meme.
>>
First for based Banana man is the savior of modern.
>>
>>50077597
>preempt
i was going to comment that you were an hour and a half late but apparently the word isn't strictly concerned with which came first

also, TTB is a really awesome card, mechanically, artwise, and flavorwise
>>
oh shit waddup

>tfw not going to dallas
feels really bad mang
although in retrospect it saves me hundreds of dollars to go play infect mirrors for a day
>>
File: 121212.jpg (5MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
121212.jpg
5MB, 2560x1600px
Unban when?
>>
>>50078626
Probably never. Muh free brainstorm gets memed around here a lot but his other abilities are incredibly powerful and he hits the wrong decks. He doesn't really do jack dick to stop aggressive decks, he just makes midrange's life more miserable.
>>
>>50078626
never
>>
File: 1474312283738.png (9KB, 401x367px) Image search: [Google]
1474312283738.png
9KB, 401x367px
>Lantern is the most played control deck in the format
>>
What's in my side as dredge for the GP?
>>
>>50078924
jk it's
1x Darkblast
1x Natural State
2x Lightning Axe
2x Abrupt Decay
2x Memory's Journey
2x Ancient Grudge
2x Gnaw to the Bone
2x Rally the Peasants

but what do I add/cut?
>>
>>50078924
>>50078941
a pistol so you can kill yourself for playing dredge
>>
>>50078941
Journey and state are the two weak links for me, add another decay and another Grudge, you're going to be going through an assload of cages and any deck that can run RiP is going to do so. State seems unnecessary, sure it hits RiP but no deck that runs RiP is going to be killing you quick enough where that 1 extra mana makes an enormous difference and decay hits the exact same stuff and more, plus can't get hit with a pierce or anything wonky like that
Brutality is a good addition, keeps you from getting blown out by AN
Rally seems like a weird board card
Leyline of the void seems like a good way to auto win the mirror which I guarantee you'll face, but you'd have to make space to fit it in.

>>50078966
>competitive general
>getting mad about someone talking about a competitive deck
>for a competition
>>
>>50078626
Modern's already struggling. The last thing you want (or maybe it's exactly what they want) is to have players shittalking the format's price of entry and throwing gasoline on the fire by unbanning Jace.

Forget everything about power. It's about the money now.
>>
>>50079012
I'll take your advice on the Decay & Grudge. Run 3x Brutality main cuz they pitch hand & help a lot game 1 (kills early aggro, gains life, kills protection/wipe, dodges counters since discard is cost). Rally is there if I encounter a matchup I'd rather race than drag (control/hatebears). LLotV I'll see about replacing Memory's Journey and something else for 3 of
>>
>>50079012
>Gets mad when someone gives him shit for playing dredge

Modern babies are fucking whiners
>>
>>50079016
What the fuck are you talking about. JtMS is like $45
>>
>>50077597
But I really want to Rev for 15!

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-09-16-sphinxs-control/
>>
File: Image.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
hey guys, i need a quick judges opinion on tethered griffin, can i play him and an aura simultaneously? like say i have 2 plains. i throw down something like Ephara's Radiance and the griffin... what happens?
>>
>>50079656

Believe me he will not stay that price if he is unbanned in Modern. He will instantly double.
>>
>>50079827
you sacrifice the griffin before you can play the enchantment. You can't play 2 things at the same time.
>>
>>50079827

You can't play multiple spells simultaneously. Everything has to be played one at a time and goes on the stack.

By the time you cast the Griffin with no enchantments under your control his trigger will happen and even if you cast an enchantment spell at instant speed(e.g flash enchantments/auras) it will be too late since its ability only checks if you ever control no enchantments. It makes no difference if you have another enchantment afterwards as it will die regardless.
>>
>>50079885
thanks!
>>
recommend me a deck that
-isn't tron
-tribal theme
-lots of interaction/instant speed
>>
>>50080048
Fae or Spirits
>>
>>50073932
well fuck thats crafty
forget about counterspell in modern we have this
>>
>>50080309
although i just realized counterspell does have a slight advantage over it in that redirect cannot deal with spells that lack a target.
>>
>>50080309
wait shit im retarded i failed to take into account that it can only redirect counterspells and a few other spells into itself.

still a very good card
>>
File: images (23).jpg (30KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
images (23).jpg
30KB, 312x445px
Im getting into modern now and have ordered elves, should be arriving soon. What decks do I have good and bad matchups against and how to combat them?
>>
>>50080371
i have the similar but less powerful card swerve in the side of grixis delver. it comes in against interactive spell decks and maybe burn. it is almost the same but easier to cast, esp. under blood moon which also comes in for those decks. it's my only answer to abrupt decay and also as mentioned is fun against discard

>>50080048
faeries
skred is snow mountain tribal and has instant removal
>>
>>50080486
>ordered deck before testing or at least researching it
Fucking why?
>>
best mardu/bant colored decks in modern? Besides Bant Eldrazi
>>
>>50079827
>>50079898
For the future, consult the Gatherer page if you are unsure about how cards work.
>>50079320
You were the only one whining, boy
>>50080048
Insect tribal aka Delver decks
>>50080486
Watch out for decks that run board wipes. UW control runs boardwipes at 4CMC. Red decks can run Anger of the Gods for 3CMC or Pyroclasm for 2CMC. Against such decks, if you know that the enemy has the time to boardwipe before you kill them, it can be reasonable to hold back a creature card or two instead of dumping your hand. If UW control boardwipes and you have no cards left in hand, you lose.
>>
>>50080912
Mardu Nahiri
Bant Spirits
>>
im looking to get into modern what are the typical u/r spellslinger decks
anything good in u/w flash
>>
>>50081081
Look into UR delver
For U/W flash, look into Spirits or U/W control
>>
File: bloodbraid stoneforge.jpg (294KB, 960x680px) Image search: [Google]
bloodbraid stoneforge.jpg
294KB, 960x680px
Why does Wizards refuse to unban these?
>>
>>50081224
Jund is already tier 1. Unbanning bloodbraid elf would push Jund to tier 0,5.
Stoneforge Mystic should be unbanned per current meta. The only imagineable reason to keep her unbanned is because she puts a design restraint on equipments in future sets; whenever WotC design a new equipment, they would have to ask themselves: "Would this be broken in Modern in conjunction with Mystic? Are we printing Batterskull 2.0?"
>>
>>50081261
Modern makes it easy enough to deal with equipment in any color. Yes, SFM+BS is a strong combination but in the end it's just a very good beatstick that can be dealt with imo. Plus we already have the swords. How much better can equipment be?
>>
>>50081314
Not arguing that she shouldn't be unbanned, m8, I'm just trying to put myself into the heads of WotC.
>>
>>50081224
The bans are decided by a group of people who play modern between lunch breaks at WOTC. From time to time they play test these cards and get crush by them and that decides their decisions.
>>
>>50080923
Not only are you an insufferable dipshit, you also have no idea about anything in modern other then spouting memes and jargon. M/tg/ modern general eveverybody
>>
File: mother of runes.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
mother of runes.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
What are the chances?
>>
>>50081526
Pretty low
>tfw white will never be good in modern (or magic as a whole)
>>
File: 1469116340590.png (521KB, 670x539px) Image search: [Google]
1469116340590.png
521KB, 670x539px
>facing dredge deck
>tfw blasphemous act
>>
>>50081526
I think we'll see Stoneforge Mystic before Mom.
>muh interaction
>>
>>50081526

>mono white humans meme one step closer to playability
>>
>>50081261
>whenever WotC design a new equipment, they would have to ask themselves: "Would this be broken in Modern in conjunction with Mystic? Are we printing Batterskull 2.0?"
Going to counter that argument with "we don't test for modern"
>>
>>50081881
True, but what the other anon said is their excuse. "it limits design space on equipment"
>>
>>50081188
so u/r delver is just cantrips out the arse to get delver of secrets snapcaster mage and young pyromancer out.

neat i think i will go with that i already have a snapcaster so thats some of the cost gone.
>>
>>50081918
suicide bloo is also an option
>>
>>50081918
Don't forget bolts. At least 8 of them
>>
>>50081890
so they dont take other formats into account when designing for standard (although one look at the blue enchantments in kaladesh tells you they are clearly designing for comander) but at the same time they think they will have to have design restraints on standard sets if stoneforge is unbaned in modern

that makes no sense they are contradictory statments
>>
>>50081930
i will keep that in mind
>>
>>50081932
Yep, welcome to WotC decision making. The only formats that Wizards officially endorses are standard, commander and limited. Because those formats are the ones that make people buy packs. They arr aware that other eternal formats and modern exist, and they kinda support them with supplementary products like MM and EM, but they don't test for them when designing new sets. So shit like treasure cruise and leldrazi happen. So they tend to go hard on the safe side and just make low power shit, and anything that is eternal playable is a mistake
>>
>>50081918
Yeah, kinda. You deply a threat that can finish the game left alone (delver, pyromancer), protect it using counterspells, and clear the board using lightning bolts. Splashing white for Path to Exile and sideboard cards, or splashing black for Thoughseize, are legit variations of the deck.
>>
>>50081986
Grixis delver is superior to any other form of delver for that reason
Path gives them too much of a tempo boost, which you are trying to beat them with (tempo advantage that is)
>>
>>50081918
so its
4x Delver of Secrets
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Snapcaster Mage
4x Wandering Fumarole
4x Young Pyromancer

then fill the deck with a selection of counterspells, board control, burn and draw preferably cantrips

i can do that
>>
>>50082108
Git probe, semen visions, maybe lava spike/rift bolt

IoK, and banana king/angler (you will be fueling delve like crazy) if you want to splash black

Fumarole is kinda iffy, maybe just run two. Tapped lands really set you back in modern, esp a deck like delver

You will need 4 tarns and vents though. There is a clear difference between decks with them and those without
>>
>>50082031
That's right. Path to Exile and Mana Leak are so bad, it hurts.
>>50082108
You got it. You might even want to cut down on the taplands. You're putting a lot of 1-mana spells into your deck, and want to be able to squeeze as much efficiency out of your lands as possible. Remember that it's a tempo deck, not a midrange deck, so you want to deploy threats and throw your opponent off balance before they can stabilize with bigger threats. Waiting a turn for a tapped land to untap can hurt your game plan more than the tapland helps. Be prepared to invest in 4x Scalding Tarn and a few Steam Vents.
>>
>>50082145
Forgot to mention Remand is better in delver decks than mana leak. The card draw outweighs the temp nature of remand. Force spike can also help if the opponent taps out.
If you splash white (which you shouldn't) mana tithe is feckin awesome
>>
>>50082145
>>50082165
thanks anons i will think on the furmarole
>>
>>50082182
Honestly, fumarole is a fun card. Two should be an alright amount, cause you can play it when you don't need the mana asap, without drawing too many. Oh and don't forget the ghost quarters
>>
>>50082182
i almost considered guile but then i realised you want cheap creatures for this deck so you can get them out right away if you draw them early
>>
>>50082352
is ancestral vision to slow for this deck
>>
>>50082365
I'm not really sure, I'm not too familiar with actually playing delver. I do know however that you can't flashback AV with Snappy because AV doesn't actually have a mana cost
>>
>>50082365
Kinda? You're not a control deck in the traditional sense, so you're not overly interested in card advantage. You want tempo; you want to interrupt your opponent from interacting with your potent threats. By the time your hand is empty, you should have sealed the game. It's the same reason why Remand is superior to Mana Leak in Delver decks: Holding their threat away temporarily is almost the same as countering it when you're planning on winning before they get to attack you with it. If you've got Peezy on the board, Remanding their threat into drawing another Remand is really, really good.
>>
>>50082466
>>50082538
alright then

thanks for all your help guys im off to bed
>>
File: rafiq.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
rafiq.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
I often get snide remarks because I play him but he has won me so many games. Would be great if he had 4 toughness but he's still a powerhouse. People often have trouble dealing with him and he turns my threats into even bigger threats. I know there are more powerful cards but I think he's still strong and I just enjoy playing him.
>>
>>50082621
That's neat anon
>>
>>50082621
How could anyone have trouble dealing with him? every removal spell except collective brutality kills him
>>
>>50082621
That's bait, but imma still reply.

>Have a hard time dealing with him

He dies to both path and bolt, not to mention has a slightly smaller but then most goyfs, and is smaller then thought nazi
>>
So I've been looking at some shaman lists and seeing that some of them only run 2 or 3 CoCo.

Is there any reason not to run 4?
>>
>>50082659
I meant deal with him in combat. Of course removal spells get rid of him if I don't protect him somehow.

>>50082698
It's honestly not bait. I genuinely like Rafiq. I like the impact he has on the board the moment he enters given that I have at least on other creature out. If he had just one more toughness he'd be my favorite Magic card.

I know that he isn't considered good and nobody runs him in Modern but he's worked well enough for me and I simply like playing him. He is fun and swingy even if he's susceptible to removal spells.
>>
>>50082861
Hes literally worse than Qasali Pridemage in the format
>>
>>50082913
Okay.
>>
>>50082811
>shaman lists
I've never heard of this.
Anyway, I think running 4 CoCo in a CoCo deck is correct 90% of the time or more.
>>50082861
I get what you're saying. Providing double-strike to a buddy on the get-go sure is neat. What kind of deck do you run him in?
>>
>>50082967
>What kind of deck do you run him in?
It's just a midrange goodstuff Bant deck. Nothing anybody would play in a serious tournament. Geist of Saint Traft, Brimaz, Voice of Resurgence, Ajani Caller of the Pride, Elspeth 1.0, Detention Sphere, Voidslime ...
Not at all geared towards the meta or tournament play but still cards I consider good and most of all cards I enjoy playing. I know that I could make my deck much better but I prefer losing a bit more often if it means that the few times I win it's with cards I love playing.
>>
>>50082967
>shaman lists
4 Atarka's Command
3 Beastcaller Savant
4 Bosk Banneret
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Collected Company
3 Elvish Visionary
1 Fauna Shaman
4 Flamekin Harbinger
4 Forest
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Mountain
4 Rage Forger
4 Copperline Gorge
3 Stomping Ground
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
Sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge

2 Dismember
2 Essence Warden
2 Gut Shot
3 Loaming Shaman
3 Reclamation Sage
2 Sudden Shock

This is what I've been running and I was just wondering because of other similar lists, probably should've posted this in my original post.
>>
>>50082365
if you want a draw 3 effect play a bedlam reveler or two. vision is too slow.
play vapor snag
>>
>>50082182
I dislike Furmarole

Dying to bolt feels bad
>>
>>50083086
>Nothing anyone would play in a serious tournament. Geist of Saint Traft ... Voice of Resurgence

Anon, I don't know how to tell you this, but...
>>
>>50083581
Oh I know that those are high caliber tournament cards, I meant my deck as a whole. The composition of my deck if you will. My deck as a whole wouldn't be considered viable.
>>
>>50080923
Neckbeard, the post
>>
>>50083694
>neckbeard as an insult on fucking /tg/
>>
>>50083304
I'm plain 4 remand in my version
Is it too much ?
>>
there's a fat pack of dragons of tharkir on a lgs for 20$. Should I go for it?
>>
File: Mana Tithe_PLC.jpg (59KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Mana Tithe_PLC.jpg
59KB, 312x445px
Been thinking of using mana tithe as some hidden Sideboard tech in my Naya burn list. Thought on this option?
>>
Why do I see Twisted Image in some sideboards? What matchups is it good against?
>>
>>50084901
Spellskites and Hierarchs
>>
>>50084731
What decks do you want to hurt with it ?
Also, a con is that it don't deal damage
>>
>>50084731
>Naya burn
>Not tapping out all the turns
What?
>>
>>50084958
Probably only decks that tap out, like deaths shadow, infect, abzan, ad naus, etc.

>>50084977
Can't tap out against decks that don't tap out
>>
>>50082031
Play rug or get out
>>
>>50086526

>Can't tap out against decks that don't tap out

This is wrong, if they're gonna counter your thing you don't just hold up your spell and let them get tempo advantage from wasted mana, unless you plan on saving instants for their EOT. Just trade 1 for 1 now, unless you can play around their spell in really short order.
>>
Why is it that whenever a deck is doing decent in modern people always cry for bans?
>>
>>50081545
White will never be "good" because white already has some of the strongest splashes in magic due to all their silver bullets. Path, stony silence, rest in peace, etc. If white was actually a good color on top of these "busted" cards, it would dominate the format.

Really, the problem comes from the silver bullet meta we're in.
>>
How necessary is Cavern of Souls and Noble Hierarch to Bant Eldrazi? Birds is a good replacemnet for hierarch, and there really isn't that much counter magic running around.
>>
>>50088431

Minus spell queller which lols at cavern anyways.
>>
>>50079834
So he will cost about half of Tarmogoyf's market price? For a 2 of?
>>
>>50081261
>Unbanning bloodbraid elf would push Jund to tier 0,5.

How? People keep saying this but nobody has ever backed this up in any way beyond "ITS ALL THE DECK NEEDS TO BE BROKEN!"
>>
>>50088697
Ever get into a topdeck war with Jund?
>>
>>50088812
I haven't been in a topdeck war with Jund since February.
>>
>>50088826
Ever get to turn 4 with Jund?
>>
>>50088812
>What is Kalitas
>>
File: epic.png (17KB, 338x877px) Image search: [Google]
epic.png
17KB, 338x877px
Is this a healthy Meta?
>>
>>50088872
Those are the same percentages of Legacy's meta except control and combo are switches
So, yeah
>>
>>50088697

Kalitas is a better 4 drop for Jund.

Also, Jund isn't even fucking good. Right now, if you're not playing Infect, Dredge, Affinity, Burn, or Breach, you're making a mistake.
>>
>>50088872
>Control
>Breach Titan

>Combo
>Infect
>Dredge
>Company

Fucking how? Why?
>>
>>50088872
>infect is combo
>tron is control
>dredge is combo
>elves is combo
I hate this shit, it's a way to make it seem more "balanced" and less "75% explosive aggro decks"
>>
File: 1470302686793.jpg (6KB, 250x98px) Image search: [Google]
1470302686793.jpg
6KB, 250x98px
>>50088912
Your captcha is....
>>
>>50089001
They also consider Jund and Junk to be Aggro, when in reality they have more in common with a control deck with all those terminates, paths and inquisitions
>>
>>50089056
To be fair, jund is quite literally "turn cardboard sideways and just kill anything that could be a potential blocker"

Junk perhaps slightly less so, but still in the same general vein
>>
Does Affinity REALLY need to run glimmervoid? The deck only runs like 12 coloured spells at most 4 of which are Vault Skirge which you are probably paying 2 life to cast. It really feels like 4 shivan reef would do the job perfectly fine.
>>
>>50089126
Why wouldn't you run glimmervoid? Barring turn one artifact removal screwing you over, there's no downside to glimmervoid. Taking damage off shivan reef DOES matter when the top decks are burn, suicide zoo, and other aggro decks where every point of life matters.
>>
>>50089056
No, midrange is still considered aggro.

When midrange is considered control "because it has removal and disruption," you know things are fucked.
>>
>>50089183
>Why wouldn't you run glimmervoid?
because i'm poor
>>
>>50089293
>because i'm poor
Silly anon, what are you doing in the modern general?
>>
>>50089293
If budget was the issue, why even bother asking? Just run a pain land or a rainbow land, us giving you answers won't magically give you money for Glimmervoids.
>>
Sultai thopter combo with goyfs and glissa the traitor. Yummy
>>
>>50089307
Well, I also play Burn. I wanna start playing something else that just pukes my entire hand out by tun 2, and I really like how consistent Affinity is. I just figured I would ask because /tg/ is full of smart people who actually have experience with things.
>>
>>50088872
>Valakut and tron not being in Combo
>Grixis """Control"""

so Really it should be 47 aggro/11 control/42 combo

Jesus christ.
>>
>>50089730
What's with the obsession over archetype distribution?

Modern is not a format for those wanting to play control. Move along
>>
>>50089776

>Modern is not a format for those wanting to play anything other than turn 4 aggro decks

FTFY, faggot. The format blows more cock than your pig whore of a mother.
>>
>>50088416
White has good effets, but are either banned or overosted/unplayable
Balance
SFM
Seond Sunrise
Restore balance.

Also mono w will never work, no CA
>>
File: worst sleeves.png (1MB, 1262x705px) Image search: [Google]
worst sleeves.png
1MB, 1262x705px
I don't get it. Why people get ban from tournament for having "transparent" sleeves? It's just a revers why it need to be full cover? Seems full autistic for me.
>>
>>50089840
LOL but you stay here. Pathetic loser
>>
>>50089903
mark the backs
>>
>>50081261
>"Would this be broken in Modern in conjunction with Mystic? Are we printing Batterskull 2.0?"
First of all the strongest equipment ever printed is already banned, obviously second choice is Batterskull then Swords in various orders dependent on meta. Swords are so bad in modern that they see exactly zero play, sure having SFM as a tutor might make them sideboard-able but I don't think they would be that high impact. You have to ask yourself "Is Wizards going to print equipment that is better than Swords in standard?" And the answer to that is a resounding "no." Wizards will never print modern playable equipment again and SFM isn't the same kind of enabler that Birthing Pod is where every equipment printed after it just makes it better.
>>
>>50088937
Jund only auto-loses against one of those decks and completely rapes two of them. How is that an unfavorable meta call?
>>
>>50090071

Because those 5 decks aren't the entire format. Also, good luck packing enough hate to beat the entire field, since you need very specific sideboard cards to beat 4 of those 5 decks, and you're a major dog game one (aside from Infect, which isn't nearly as favorable for Jund as people think). Jund has been the most popular deck in the format for a while now, but hasn't posted very good results for months (ever since Dredge became a thing, which was probably the straw that broke the sideboard camel's back)

>Pick your poison
OR
>Be the poison
>>
So tell me /tg/
What is your favourite Tier 1.5 / Tier 2 deck?
>>
>>50089928
But how? It's not like in classic cards where you can mark it and be visible only for you, MTG reverse is pretty plain
>>
>>50090248
Faeries
Faeries
>>
>>50089928
I don't see any advantages of marking MTG cards. Deck is only your it's not like in poker or something where you can see what cards opponent have
>>
>>50090273
But you can
Just make it look like natural markings and the DCI wouldn't be able to call you out on it

>>50090327
Then you haven't played the game very much
>>
>>50090273
There are stories of people using special paints that can only bee seen through contact lenses so that they can essentially stack their decks or know what they are going to draw next.

>>50090327
In a format where most decks run +8 fetch lands and or other shuffle effects being able to know when to crack a fetch to get rid of or keep the top card of your deck is incredibly powerful.
>>
>>50089556
Just run MonoRed or Blue Affinity.
>>
Where is the best place to learn all the basics of mtg.
A buddy from dnd gave me a box of his duplicates and I got hooked on the art style and nostalgia of card collecting. I know the rules and how to play but absolutely nothing about tribes and tiers and all that jazz.

Also how's the general community? Bit of a mixed bag?
>>
>>50090485
why the fuck do new players keep asking this shit in the fucking modern general
>>
>>50090548
Because for some reason the format is called "Modern" which implies that the card pool is the "Modern" cards.
>>
>>50090646
Then let's change to OP to
"Modern Format"
"This thread is for discussion of the Modern competitive format, not general discussion"
to get rid of fucking retards
>>
>>50090646
Can't they read a few posts and realize nobody is asking baby questions? It confounds me how useless people on this site can be
>>
>>50090485
You can play Magic online for free. Try googling MtGO. They have a format especially for new players. The interface can be a bit clunky, but it can teach you the basics.
>>
>>50090181
>Everyone is playing these 5 decks
>Lol those 5 decks aren't the whole meta you idiot XD!
Pick one, retard. Also how can the removal deck not be favored heavily in game one vs affinity and infect?
>>
>>50090860
You meant magic duels, mtgo entry is 15 bucks or something.
>>
>>50090364

So why can't they use those paints on non-transparent sleeves?
>>
>>50081918
>>50081188
How does Bedlam Reveler fit into U/R Spells/delver? I've been trying to spice up my deck, and I can't scrape up the money for snapcasters yet.
>>
>>50088872
like half those control decks arnt even control decks. Valakut especially, who in their right mind would label it as anything other than combo?
>>
>>50077597
I always wondered, is 0 or 1-mana spell+ countering your own spell with Fold Into Aether+Emrakul a thing?
>>
>>50091232
why would it be
just play breach or vengeance
>>
>>50090938

"Right now, if you're not playing Infect, Dredge, Affinity, Burn, or Breach, you're making a mistake."

There are a lot of people making mistakes, dipshit. Modern attracts a lot of autismo wizbangs who don't have the good boy points needed to switch decks every few months, so they pilot their pet delver decks or whatever to every event they go to.

I understand that autism makes it difficult to read into context, but please get Mommy or Daddy to help you.

>Also how can the removal deck not be favored heavily in game one vs affinity and infect?

Okay, so you've never played Jund. Good talk. Why do you think they play Shatterstorms and Ancient Grudges in the sideboard? They have a poor matchup (as does almost everyone) against Affinity game one. And I have somewhere around a .667 match win percentage in comp REL events against Jund with Infect over the last year. Given equally experienced pilots and stock lists, the matchup is about a 50/50. You can't sit on a pile of removal against Infect and think it will be enough. You need to pressure the deck or it will assemble a combination of 1 mana protection spells to overcome your 2 and 3 mana removal spells. Liliana is probably the most problematic card in the matchup, since she stops the Infect player from successfully doing this. Anyways, Jund is a tier 2 strategy right now. If you intimately know the metagame you're walking into, you can tailor it to succeed, but thinking you'll go to a GP or even an Open and do well with it is handicapping yourself when you could instead pilot one of those 5 decks I listed.
>>
>>50091601
>Okay, so you've never played Jund. Good talk.
Fuck you faggot I've been playing Jund for two years. I would say your tier 2 assessment was correct before Eldritch Moon came out and Grim Flayer pushed the deck up the ladder by being an insanely cheap threat with added value. I do play Ancient Grudge in the board but Shatterstorm is too slow for my taste. I can count the times I have lost to Affinity or Infect on one hand in the time I've been playing modern competitively so perhaps my assessment is biased but it can't be THAT biased with those results over a length of time that long.

>Liliana is problematic
Oh well it's a good thing that Jund runs 4 of them in the main board and doesn't need to wait until games two and three to fuck Infect. Literally the only creature you can't kill on your own turn is inkmoth nexus, I don't know what kind of retarded Jund players you play against that try to "get you" by casting removal spells during combat but good for you that you got to beat them I guess.
>>
>>50090940
Ah, my mistake.
>>
I have a modern masters box and a mm15 box, should I wait for mm17 and do a chaos draft with all three for like 50$ per person?
>>
what are y'all playing at GP dallas?
>>
>>50091893

Hate to be that guy anon, but those sets are garbage.
>>
>>50091973
15 was meh but modern masters was pretty good, what are you talking about?
>>
>>50091939
I won't be going but I'll be playing rug delver at gp Vancouver
>>
as an ad naus player what are sideboard answers to liliana besides oboro and nephalia academia?

i'm looking for something better than celestial purge
>>
>>50092279
You kinda have to get it before it comes down
Holding a land when you think they have it is what I usually do
>>
Does Bant Spirits NEED Hierarch? Just debating if I should get hierarchs or misty rainforest first
>>
>>50089283
No, midrange is midrange. When midrange starts being called aggro "because it turns creatures sideways" you know things are fucked.

Jund is an aggro-control hybrid (thus why we call it midrange, it fits in-between those two major archetypes). Jund is literally: bestremoval+bestdirectdamage+mostefficientcreatures.dec
>>
So serious question here: if I'm on UWR Control, do I just accept that Eldrazi are going to run all over me, or is there something that can be done about it?
>>
>>50092854
When you split everything into control, aggro and combo mid range is aggro.
>>
>>50089283
I love that a deck can't be control unless it runs counterspells and lacks a good wincon.
>>
>>50089840
You steamed m8?
>>
File: Metagame.png (31KB, 505x885px) Image search: [Google]
Metagame.png
31KB, 505x885px
>>50091693

Yeah, you're definitely biased. Also salty. Definitely salty. Please post your 75 so we can laugh at your foolish notions of having a good matchup against the entire field. I promise you, there are mile-wide holes in your deck. Shit looks like swiss cheese right now. You need serious lifegain to fight Burn, graveyard hate to fight Dredge (thanks for printing Cathartic Reunion, MaRo), nonbasic hate to deal with land decks like Valakut and Tron, tough to deal with threats in the chance that you play meme kids on Jeskai, cards to answer go-wide cards/strategies like Lingering Souls and Elves, grindy cards for the mirror, artifact hate for Affinity, AND the Infect matchup is much harder now that Blossoming Defense is seeing widespread adoption. This isn't counting the fact that random shit like Master of Waves, company decks, etc, can just brown you out of left field. Just look at this picture. You have one "good" matchup, 2 50/50 matchups, and 7 inherently bad matchups in the list of 10 most commonly played decks per modern nexus. Jund is a poorly positioned deck that people keep playing because they're persistent and want to interact.

>I have a good Affinity matchup game one
>That's why I put these Ancient Grudges in my sideboard!

^^ You're biased and irrational. Your affinity matchup is NOT good game one, which is why you're playing sideboard hate. QE motherfucking D.
>>
>>50092916
Rip apart your hand, and occasionally mine. Get us into topdeck mode because mine are better than yours. That isnt aggro.
>>
>>50092372
It needs.
Change the Mistys for Flooded Strands.
>>
>>50092279
Pithing Needle is always great.
Echoing Truths is the standard answer.

Nephalia seems like more of an answer to Thoughtseize and co., and actually seems great in a deck like Ad Naus, although with so many cantrips in the deck a colorless source may hinder more than it helps. Still, having a 2-card combo and being able to 'protect' a piece from handhate is really neat.
>>
>>50093313
I ran into some people running Nephalia at Milwaukee and they said it was good and they didn't notice much of a difference
>>
Playing 8rack atm, went 4-1 last week, so im confident once i get more experience i can get to 5-0 tomorrow.
>>
>>50093348
Huh, I like that. It's a pretty low opportunity cost too, I'm glad that card is getting some light.

Another maybe option vs lilly is Squelch, although that's entering spicy territory. Might as well pack a Balloth at that point lolol
>>
>>50093472
Nah, just run academy and Urborg and then like a 3-3 temple split
I'm too lazy to buy one but I'd run it if I could. Lili's never given me too many issues though, maybe I'm just lucky.
>>
>>50093472
>Another maybe option vs lilly is Squelch,

man that is just janky enough for me to run at the lgs.

>>50093490
>Lili's never given me too many issues though, maybe I'm just lucky.

Lilliana is the one thing I can pretty much count on seeing at a weekly modern.
>>
>>50093734
Oh I've run into it plenty of times but I've usually done alright at fighting through it
>>
>>50090248
d e l v e r
e
l
v
e
r
>>
>>50093734
>man that is just janky enough for me to run at the lgs.

I'd consider it if it costed U. 1U is too much for that, for me.
>>
>>50081261
stoneforge's existence already puts a hinder on that
the last equip card printed that had even any amount of power was Godsend, and its likely never to see play in any format.
>>
>>50081261
>wotc caring about modern or Stoneforge

Wrong
>>
>>50091693
>Losing to infect as a Jund player
>Even once
Why haven't you killed yourself? You're obviously terrible at this game
>>
>mtgs/leddit calling for dredge bans

Delicious salty tears from losers who can't adapt.
>>
>>50095755
>adapting is putting grafdiggers/RIP in your sideboard

it doesn't deserve a ban, but fuck is it annoying to play against

Especially if the dredge player pretends to exile their graveyard in response to RIP, then moves it back and claims the trigger was never stated :^)
>>
Is Golgari Grave-Troll replaceable at all in Dredge? It's so expensive online.
>>
>>50095802
>Especially if the dredge player pretends to exile their graveyard in response to RIP, then moves it back and claims the trigger was never stated :^)
Bitch if a dredge player tried this shit against me that would either end with me saying "you're retarded, your opponent exiled their graveyard to the trigger, you can't even pretend they missed it."
Followed by a good old fashioned warning.
>>
>>50095946

Golgari Thug is alright, but that 1 additional dredge is usually crucial. Also in some matchups, hardcasting Golgari Grave Troll will win you games, normally plan B when you get hit with Cage but they durdle
>>
>>50094670
To be fair it does the same spicy tech that Shadow of Doubt does, which is screwing over fetchlands, and cantripping while doing it.
>>
>>50095802

Dredge in legacy is far more powerful, and you don't hear calls to ban it there.
>>
>>50096448
Everything in legacy is far more powerful, that's a silly comparison.
>>
>>50096479
Relative power, you stupid idiot
>>
>>50092879
You can try some ceremonious rejection in the sideboard, though it doesn't help against cavern unless you draw your secret tech of crumbling vestige; otherwise you can really only rely on path.
>>
>>50096491
I disagree. Modern dredge consistently posts better results than legacy dredge, and the number of sideboard cards good against dredge in each format isn't significantly different. Could modern players use more graveyard hate? Sure, but dredge isn't stronger in modern because people aren't running enough hate, they need to run more hate because dredge is stronger in modern.
>>
>>50088872

Yes, because midrange archetype is lumped with aggro instead of being a separate one.
>>
>>50088872
>Gruul Land Loss
Who calls it land loss? Is destruction not PC anymore?
>>
>Turn 4 goldfish format
>Game 2 onwards is a question of who drew their silver bullet
>>
>>50096835
Let's talk about that.

In Legacy it feels like most sideboard cards are more flexible. Some of those cards are legal in Modern (some are not): Pyroblast, Abrupt Decay, Surgical Extraction, Krosan Grip, Wear/Tear, Forked Bolt, Grudge, Flusterstorm, Dismember, Pithing Needle.

The hate in Modern seems more backbreaking like RIP/Leyline/Relic, Stony Silence, Grudge, and Cage but they're still playing cards like Spell Pierce, Finks, Nature's Claim, Wraths.

I really feel there's no difference between the two formats. Sometimes you can go balls out and make a transformational sideboard in either format. The pool is so deep that there are silver bullets in every format - that's not the fault of the format, that's the only balance that must exist when you have strong consistent decks that demand answers that extend the game for a couple turns.

The alternative to silver-bullet formats (like Modern, Vintage and Legacy) is really dumbing everything down to where a card like Thragtusk or Obstinate Baloth are playable again. That means things like Green Sun, Pod, Preordain and Ponder are never coming off the banlist and enablers like Mox Opal, Hierarch, and excellent time-buying cards like Lightning Bolt, Inquisition, Thoughtseize have to go. Demanding cards like Wasteland and Daze/Force for Modern just changes the speed and will just shift the silver-bullets to favor Legacy's silver-bullets.

I guess what I'm saying is, unless we're prepared to ban the fuck out of all the good shit that makes Modern Legacy-lite we have to live with the brutal hate that we have. With Bolt gone I bet people can probably start playing Watchwolf-esque cards in their sideboard and would make borderline Planeswalkers good enough that demands a more beatdown format.
>>
he's talking about modern again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-iYeDZwo2Q
>>
>>50096962
Not all strategies are beat easily with hate though. If your deck has a bad match up against jund, there's limited things you can do with your sideboard to improve that. If there were less decks which were 'draw your sideboard or lose', you'd have more room for sideboard cards against those type of decks that left over. If dredge (for example, not saying it should be banned or anything) were replaced with another deck like jund, affinity, infect and burn would all get weaker. Changing 1 deck in the format can have pretty significant effect on the overall meta.
But you're probably right about having to live with the format as it is, given we can't surgically 'replace' 1 deck with another of equal power.
>>
>>50097037
>Self contained mechanics like, erm, energy, and erm, vehicles
Energy is the only mechanic that works within the confines of its own set. Vehicles don't only work with Kaladesh cards, they're just NotCreatures with a cost to become a creature. I can't even think of another recent example of a mechanic that only works with cards from its own set.

Stop shilling your own videos you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>50097037
>video devolves into netdeck hating in 2 minutes
>>
>>50097081
I'm not him, I think he's an idiot
>>
>>50097098
>Hey guys I really hate this Desolator guy just like you, but lets all check out his latest video though ;^)

Based on the title of that video, how did you even know it was about Modern? Why did you watch if you thought he was an idiot? He doesn't even quickly go into Modern, the poster above you suffered at least 2 minutes of that thing and he still wasn't talking about Modern. So you watched at least 2 minutes of a video from a guy you think is an idiot? Why? Oh wait you knew it was at the end of the video because you're him.
>>
>>50096962
The difference with legacy is that cards like force of will and wasteland provide general answers to a control deck that work against everything. Every deck has lands, every deck has spells, so those let a deck like miracles or shardless BUG fight against whatever unknown wonky and fragile turn 2 combo deck, while not hurting it's game plan in any matchup.

Modern, by contrast, has specific answers. There's not a great catchall way to interact with every single deck. Thoughtseize comes close, but the 2 life is a real cost in shocklands.format, and it's an awful top-deck late game, something that can't really be said of wastes and forces. It's much harder to play a fair or interactive deck in modern because the means of interaction are much more restrictive.
>>
>>50097122
>So you watched at least 2 minutes of a video from a guy you think is an idiot?
yes I find watching him spout stupid bullshit entertaining, you honestly can't say you didn't want to hear more of his crap after he said cryptolith rite ould break modern or when he called LSV an idiot noob. shits too funny
>>
>>50097155
>when he called LSV an idiot noob
LSV is a humongous faggot though. Pretending to throw down the gauntlet for Worlds by saying he was taking Titanshift, then he takes Abzan and no one bats an eyelash.
>>
>>50097181
doesn't stop him being a pro
>>
>>50083126
>3 Beastcaller Savant
>4 Flamekin Harbinger
>Firedrinker Satyr

>modern

Anon those cards are modern unplayable.
>>
>>50088697

Just like BB turned tokens into tier 1 deck, right?
>>
>>50097211
Beastcaller Savant taps for mana on turn 2, just like Noble Heirarch. Infact, it has higher power than BoP, and taps for any colour unlike Heirarch ;^)
>>
>>50092990
>There are mile-wide holes in your strategy
You'll notice in my initial post I mentioned that one of the decks you said everyone should be playing is an autoloss for Jund (Valakut Titan), so where you're getting this idea that I said or even think Jund is the best deck in the meta is you projecting.

>Burn
Kalitas stablizes against burn single-handedly, Finks and more Kalitas in the board

>Dredge
Already play Scooze main, have Cages in the sideboard for their shitty flashback spells

>Nonbasic Hate
This doesn't exist in modern, Tron and Valakut are pretty much unwinnable for the deck and I've accepted that. Every deck in modern has match ups like this and trying to pretend that they don't is asinine.

>Go-wide
Pulse, EE, Anger of the Gods, Damnation, take your pick.

>Artifact Hate
Playing one Ancient Grudge in your sideboard is hardly conceding that the match up is bad game one. It's mostly there for the Ensnaring Bridge because believe it or not Ensnaring Bridge doesn't die to Terminate or Bolt.

>Blossoming Defense
Once again, if you're not a complete retard you play your removal spells on your own turn so you don't get blown out by this shit mid-combat.

>Modern Nexus
Oh, I see now. You're just retarded. Got it.
>>
>>50097564
>Tron and Valakut are pretty much unwinnable
That's where your Madcap Experiment and Platinum Emperion package comes into it, Anon.
>>
>>50097564
>play karn
>exile platinum emperion
>>
>>50097564

>so where you're getting this idea that I said or even think Jund is the best deck in the meta is you projecting

"I would say your tier 2 assessment was correct before Eldritch Moon came out and Grim Flayer pushed the deck up the ladder by being an insanely cheap threat with added value"
^ this is you, claiming your meme deck is Tier 1.

Okay kiddo, keep struggling to min-cash because you're too stubborn to play an actual good deck. Whatever floats your boat :^)
>>
>>50097901
>A deck being tier 1 means that it's the absolute best deck in the metagame
Ok pal keep having trouble counting to ten
>>
>>50097915
>>50097901
You're both meme spouting fucktards
>>
>>50097211
>beastcaller savant
Usually chained with Burning tree and lets me play one of the one drops
>Flamekin
gets rage forger ofr turn 3
>firerinker
This one is kinda shitty and I'm contemplating replacing it with goblin guides, but the shaman synerg is kind of important.

But yeah you're right anon I'll just run 12 Tarmogoyfs instead ;^)
>>
>>50077597
Is through the breach valuable?
Because I still have a mint one.
>>
I hope literally 0 dredge decks place top 8 in Dallas, so the fucks complaining about how the sky is falling can eat a dick and learn how to metagame instead of forcing their brews and petdecks in the format then complain how unfair it is when they lose
>>
File: 1477515778563m.jpg (45KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1477515778563m.jpg
45KB, 1024x768px
>>50098655

>Mfw 3 Affinity decks in top 8 instead
>>
>>50098655
but my pet deck has a great match up against dredge
>>
File: images.jpg (17KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
17KB, 223x310px
>>50098655

>tfw have good matchup with Dredge, Burn and Affinity while being able to cripple BGx mana base

Feels good man. Just needs sudden shocks and extra paths from the board vs Infect
>>
>>50096739
Everyone I've ever met IRL calls the deck RG Stone Rain
MTGTop8 seems to be pretty retarded when it comes to classifying decks. Whoever is in charge of it deserves to be DCI banned.

No one calls it "Death's Shadow Aggro" its Suicide Zoo

"Creatures toolbox" is Kiki-Chord

Urzatron is misleading because UTron and GxTron are two entirely different decks that play nothing like each other.

Aura Hexproof is Bogles

Mono Green Aggro is probably the most misleading because half the time they are lumping Elves in with Stompy

Snow red is fucking stupid, the deck is called Skred

Instant Reanimator is Grishoalbrand, don't let any retard tell you otherwise, because half the time the deck wins using through the breach instead of vengeance.

Abzan and Podless Pod (or Abzan Company, call it whatever the fuck you want) are both lumped under Junk which is dumb because one is essentially a combo deck

Walks? The deck is called Taking turns
>>
>>50098789

>RW Norin
>Good

p i c k o n e
>>
>>50098938

RG Land Destruction is called Ponza, always has been, always will be.
>>
Why are moderfags so angry when compared to legacy- or standardfags?
>>
>>50099077
Too many bans
>>
>>50099077
Legacy players are all rich cunts so they have no reason to get mad at anything, and standard players all all cucks who are too stupid to realize how bad they are getting jewed
>>
>>50096448
because it's pretty shite in legacy
>>
>>50099077
The meta can change in an instant and fuck everything up
Not to mention there aren't many unique decks to play
>>
>>50098938
>No one calls it "Death's Shadow Aggro" its Suicide Zoo

This is the only one I could understand them changing and it's just to pander to triggeredfags who will make blog posts about it and give them arbitrary bad PR over the word "suicide"
>>
>>50099092
This. Also this general became cancer during eldrazi winter
>>
Unban Stoneforge Mystic
Ban Batterskull
Unban Stoneforge Mystic
Ban Batterskull
Unban Stoneforge Mystic
Ban Batterskull

Batterskull is used fucking nowhere and overlaps with stronger tron wincons like Wurmcoil. at least stoneforge could maybe find a home somewhere without batterskull being a good white card
>>
How viable is bant eldrazi atm. Really thinking of upgrading to this deck.
>>
>>50099572

Honestly, you don't even need Batterskull to be banned. Most of the good decks in the format already have work-arounds to beat it:

Burn: Atarka's Command + Skullcrack, Searing Blaze the SFM before it can put Batterskull out, Destructive Revelry
Infect: LOL thanks for tapping out, dickhole. Life gain sure is cool doe.
Breach: Prime Time and Valakut give zero fucks about your extra 4 life
Affinity: Galvanic Blast the SFM before it puts the Batterskull out, suit up Inkmoth Nexus or attach Plating to Etched Champion so you never get to block
Dredge: Already plays Ancient Grudge in the sideboard, can Conflagrate the SFM before it puts Batterskull out
Jund: Kommand/Pulse/Grudge
Tron: Exile your Batterskull, continue to fuck your tender boi pucci
Leldrazi: Blink the germ token, TK Seer the thing away after you tutor it up, Reality Smasher is just bigger than the 4/4, Drowner can tap it down

Obviously it's still good, but I very much doubt it would flip the format upside down like people reflexively think.
>>
>>50099729

Bant Eldrazi is currently well positioned in the format, shitting all over Jund hard and having good matchups across the board.
>>
>>50099732

You seem to forget though that you don't have to cheat in batterskull at sorcery speed and that you can hold 3 mana to self bounce batterskull. That's not to say it'd be the most busted interaction in the format, but i don't feel it's as easily answered as you give it credit for. K command isn't even a 2 for 1 against it cause SFM cantrips itself into your batterskull.

Loads of decks have answers to it but it's pretty brutal, still.
>>
>>50082621
ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
Anons, what's the name of that card that allows you to put counters on it each turn and then you cna pump out a creature of the same counter for free? I don't even remember the color and it's driving me nuts.

And why are snapcasters so fucking costly jesus christ? I thought that modern was the begginer friendly format but I already waster 150 bucks and I keep getting BTFO by everybody.
>>
>>50097621
Rofl. What is Ostone Karn Ulamog and claims in the sideboard.
>>
>>50100355

It's aether vial, it's a 1 cost artifact, and you definitely can't afford that either.

>See that you can't remember aether vials name
>"He probably isn't ready to spend this much on them if he doesn't know it already"
>next paragraph
>Snapcaster price

Yeah, maybe someday wizards will do something about the price, but odds are they're just gonna try and fuck us into moving to frontier.
>>
when will wizard print a card that makes bw tokens a viable deck
>>
>>50100409
Thanks mate
Believe it or not the vial is fifteen bucks cheaper than the fucking mage. Guess I'll run some swifspears or kilns instead as fooder/quick punch.
>>
>>50100355
Also
>Modern
>Beginner friendly format
>Spent 150 bucks

Yeah, that's small-time. Standard is "beginner friendly" and you're spending more than that on a good deck. Modern you're usually looking at at least 500, the average is about 1000.
>>
>>50100225
It'd be hard to beat but the decks that would run it aren't positioned terrible well in the format
Although I wouldn't want to have to deal with Bant Eldrazi with stoneforges in it
>>
>>50088872
>all those untiered decks tg thinks are unplayable getting top 8's
nice
>>
>>50100410
Itd need either Card advantage generation directly from tokens or some kind of free mana
>>
How do I have fun in modern?
>>
Can I get a hand making a budget deck that can just stop the opponent from having any fun?
It doesn't even need to be great at winning, I just want a deck to play if a certain friend decides to play with cards that belong in tier 1-2 decks, while the rest of us are basically going for casual/kitchen table magic.
I'm just pretty pissed that 7/8 people in our group is fine playing budget (because most of us can't afford to splash £500 on a deck) but one person apparently decided to go full autismo and sink all his savings into it.
>>
>>50101047
8rack or 8whack
>>
>>50101060
Did you say that to his face?
Just tell him to use a shittier deck or establish a price range in cards for your group. I went full autismo once with muh eldrazi and my friend complained to me to I made a goblin deck especially for funsies. If your friend is a normal human being he should undesrtand, if he doesn't just drop him out of the group for being a tryhard fagget.
>>
>>50101060
P.S. Josh if you're reading this, you're a cunt.
>>
>>50101124
Yeah, he said that we do still win sometimes, so it's still fair, but that's mostly because he can't really build decks for shit. I can scrape wins off him by playing around what I know is gonna be in his deck, but unless I'm actively helping others build, it can get kinda one-sided. It's more an issue of oblivion rings vs path to exile in games. One of them is more expensive for a reason.
>>
>>50100651

Here's a tip
tokens are card advantage
>>
>>50101178
>path over sword to plowshare
>ever
>When you can play both
It's more like he don't know what money is, nor good cards
>>
>>50101203
No, I mean direct "draw a card for each creature you control that has a on erred mana cost of 0” level shit.
The fact is tokens are trying to be a fair aggro list and that just isn't possible
>>
>playing dredge against mill
>guy calls me a faggot even though e glimpsed the unthinkable and got me all my creatures
>>
>>50101350
*a converted mana cost
>>
>>50101253
I was just giving an example, the issue being that he spends inordinate amounts on cards, which I guess isn't an issue for the most part, but goddamn is it annoying.
I mean seriously, he bought about 10 gearhulks of various colours as soon as kaladesh came out just because he wanted a deck that can just keep blinking shit out/in.
It would be fine if everyone had money to throw about, and yeah, I guess it does just boil down to mild jealousy that he can just get whatever he wants, but goddamn it's frustrating to watch him just smash people who don't have the right setup to take advantage of the turns he inevitably just draws/passes because he wants to have a flashy win.
Also we do try to keep to modern legal decks, hence me bitching in this thread in particular.
>>
>>50101350

What you really want is a skullclamp unban, but that would make elves fucking nuts.
>>
>>50101487

It comes down to this:

Learn to build better decks.
With what it seems like this guy is doing, hes not really steamrolling a big advantage like Jund. He's not buying Lilianas. What you need to do is just understand what makes a good deck, and you can still build budget and beat this guy.

Pauper lists are still quite strong and very cheap. You miss out on certain interactions but most of those rely on playing heavy color decks (fetch lands) and really broken value rares (Bob, Lili, Goyf, etc). They're a good starting point on knowing how to build a deck to wreck this fellow on the cheap.

He's not playing anything tier, which means odds are you can beat him as long as your cards are getting you value. If your question is "why can't I durdle anymore when my friend is slamming value cards", the answer is that once someone starts to become competitive, magic just isn't the same game anymore. You need to learn about card value (option efficiency), tempo (pressure), and card advantage(more/less options). Every player goes through these motions and it sucks to be disillusioned about the simplicity of the game but any competitive game you want to learn will have these aspects and the sooner you understand them the better player you will be.

The question becomes what sort of deck do you want to use? You're going to have to buy singles. Thats just the way things go.
>>
>>50101630

And for the record, almost any game plan in magic is answerable very simply. Every competitive deck has a sideboard to throw in very wide answers to the opponent's threats after game one. For example, with this fellow and his gearhulks, he's probably not running a lot of catch all removal, which means you could probably get away with picking up Torpor Orbs to stifle his ETBs and call it a day, but what your answer is to his plan depends on what exactly he's doing. Guaranteed it isn't something unbeatable.
>>
>>50101501
I think pretty much every card that would make tokens nuts would make elves even more nuts.
>>50101350
>tokens are trying to be aggro
nah, tokens doesn't even do any damage before T4
>>
>>50101630
Personally, I like heavy control lists, but I'll always have a soft spot for combo.
Given the choice, I'd like to be able to run things with wincons like Jace's "counter opponent's 1st spell" emblem + curse of exhaustion.
>>50101703
Like I've said, if I can know in advance rougly what he's running, I can beat him, but it's hard to guide my friends as to what to build their decks towards since I don't really know what advice to give them. Asking them what kind of decks they want to play doesn't really help too much because they never seem to look up what cards they'd like on their own and some of them apparently refuse to be independant (I've told one of them about gatherer at least 6 times but she still asks me what cards she needs).
And yeah, I've been looking at picking up a playset of torpor orbs since he's been hooked on the hulks & ally decks lately.
>>
>>50101630
>>50101703
>>50101487

Basically, you've just been introduced to the current state of modern: either have a better deck that races or outplays his game plan, or just slot in a one card "silver bullet" answer that stops him from playing his deck. Up to you.
>>
>>50101825
>Given the choice, I'd like to be able to run things with wincons like Jace's "counter opponent's 1st spell" emblem + curse of exhaustion.
>I want to run a hard lock

Look into Lantern Control. You could probably build a budget list that pisses your friend the fuck off.

You're going to want things like Duress and Mind Wrench, get some cheap Codex Shredders and Lantern of Insights and Ancient Stirrings and whatever. The idea is that you get to look at your opponents top card and just mill anything relevant for the entire game. Could be a fun time for you, but not for him.

For your "cast no spells" hardlock, there are a couple other ways to do it in kitchen table, because pretty well anything is viable there. You could go for an Isochron Scepter deck that runs Silence and Fog effects or something, or run Ethersworn Canonists + free counters of choice (Erayo, Soratami Ascendant was fun for this).
>>
>tfw my mardu nahiri meme deck actually works as long as the opponent isn't playing combo
>>
>>50101957
>You could probably build a budget list that pisses your friend the fuck off.
Ensnaring bridge is an integral part of the deck so not really
Fuck you wizards reprint bridge already
>>
>>50101982

It doesn't seem like this dude is playing aggro though so odds are with budget discard he could have him topdecking before he really has to worry about creatures, and he could run simple Doom Blades for anything that guy plays that hits the board. He doesn't have spewing card advantage to worry about like dredge or blitz aggro like goblins or affinity.

E bridge is definitely 100% integral to lantern but probably not where this guy wants it
>>
>>50101827
>>50101957
Fair enough, I guess at this point I may as well post the decklist I was looking at and see what people say I should swap out, since I'm sure it's far from optimal.
2 Azor's Elocutors
4 Render Silent
4 Dissolve
3 Rewind
3 Supreme Verdict
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Detention Sphere
1 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
7 Island
7 Plains
4 Tranquil Cove
4 Temple of Enlightenment
2 Curse of Exhaustion
2 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
2 Torpor Orb
2 Pore Over the Pages
2 Glacial Fortress
2 Disperse
2 Wall of Denial
2 Luminarch Ascension
1 Dovin Baan

So yeah, I've looked into silence+scepter, but when playtesting, for some reason I can never draw it when I need it. Might try building a deck just around them, with a bunch of spells that can cycle/search.
>>
>>50102022
>competitve modern general
>>
>>50101825
>>50101178
>>50101487
Rampy into gearhulk blink sounds insanely lategame and winmore. Out tempo him. Remand, Mana Leak and Unsubstantiate are all fantastic. Hard locks are fine, but can take some setup, and can be really feelbad for everyone. I like to end every game with the opponent saying "If I just had 1-2 more turns!", when you know it would've taken them at least 4-5 because of your advantage.

I wouldn't make silver bullet decks (save silver bullets for sideboard). As much damage as he might be doing by being the most competitive one at the table, building decks to take down a specific person will do more damage.

Also, grind out more games. I find that casual tables will build up every game's importance, overthink every play, and end up not getting many games finished.
>>
>>50102047
Dude, I'm just asking for some suggestions playing modern with m8s, my options to post in were; Modern general, Lore general, Standard general, & ask a judge.
This is the most relevant one I could see.
>>
Is lantern control well positioned in the meta at the moment?
>>
>>50102022

I wouldn't have bothered, desu. This is supposed to be competitive general, we really have no idea what your opponent is playing, and an "optimal" list is going to cost a lot more than you're willing to pay. There might be a couple cards that are mostly directly upgradeable, but they mean so little in context and your environment means a lot to what cards are effective. For instance, in competitive, if for some god forsaken reason I had this list, I would replace Rewinds for A. Cryptic Commands (too expensive) or B. Mana Leaks (you have very few instants to take advantage of the untapped mana on enemy turn) but realistically mana leak may not be good in your metagame since games probably go on til turn 15 on the regular.
>>
>>50102121
Fair enough, I was just wondering if anyone had any "Oh yeah, X card is pretty cheap, you should really be running it" type suggestions.
>>
>>50102120
Probably better than any other control deck
I watched paul's 6 hour stream and he did pretty well across the board with it but he had some bad matchups
>>
>>50102156
what were the bad MU's exactly
>>
>>50102192
Death's Shadow
RG Titan
He got rekt by dredge but I don't think it's as bad of a MU as he made it out to be, I think he only ran 1 or 2 cages
I'd assume Infect is terrible as well but I don't remember him playing much of it or getting blow out by it
>>
>>50102150

Well, for a ***kinda*** budget replacement, consider dropping something for Remands. If your opponent is tapping out on the regular, you can pay 2 mana to snuff his entire turn and don't even use a card to do it. Countermagic is less effective in multiplayer play though, because you still only have so many cards in hand to deal with like 3 other players so each spell needs to get you a lot more value (or strictly save your ass from losing). If you Inquisition of Kozilek a dude, it took you a card for 2 other players to not even feel it. You'd want things along the line of Delirium Skeins where every player is affected. Fairly weak example, but the point stands. Make sense?
>>
>>50102242
i don't see how rg titan is a bad MU
>>
>>50102350
Valakut
>>
>>50102396
most decks run 4x leyline of the SB
>>
>>50102603
He didn't run any
>>
>>50101047
Play good interactive decks instead of brain dead goldfish decks
>>
>>50101047
Play something that interests you. Have multiple decks if you can afford it. Be nice to people, even the autistic. Slowly move towards legacy master race.
>>
>>50102667
what a retard
>>
>>50103574
>Have multiple decks if you can afford it.
>tfw I only ever play one deck in modern and legacy and I still have tons of fun.
You can just borrow someone else's deck if you feel like switching it up.
>>
File: Image.png (122KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
122KB, 223x311px
What is everyone bringing to FNM tonight?
>>
>>50102958

>I want to lose

That isnt fun at all
>>
>>50103839
Not that anon but I play Bring white to scapeshift, and have tons of fun
>Inb4 I'm at only 50% winrate
>>
>>50101355
That seems like it's his fault really. And dredge is one of the most popular decks in modern currently, what exactly was he expecting?
>>
>>50103732
>What is everyone bringing to FNM tonight?

$15 for 2HG sealed
>>
>>50103732

Nothing, because I'm working til 10 tonight ;_;
>>
>>50103693
I like having two (Jund and Infect currently), just because your one deck can be badly positioned in a meta and that would just suck.
>>
>>50103693
>>50104102
What decks do you play in modern and legacy?
>>
>>50103915
He actually almost got me, I aggressively dredged and was on 4 cards in library when he dropped ghostly prison
>>
>>50104122
Affinity in Modern
ANT in Legacy
>>
>>50104190
>ANT
superb taste
>>
>>50103912
>scapeshift
>interactive
???
>>
>>50104267
>Not TES in current meta
Your funeral.
>>
>>50104102
I feel like jund can be configured to have game in almost any tronless meta.
>>
>>50104746
>a deck that play removal, counterspells and wrath effects is non interactive
?????
>>
>>50097259
>Creature spells
>>
>>50105104
True, but I don't want to spend the money to constant tone the deck, at least not during school. Tron is seriously a nightmare match up.
>>
>>50105545
I feel like everyone's forgetting about crumble.
>>
>>50105545
Has anyone tested Lost Legacy? I don't play the deck much but that seems like a board card that can really help
>>
>>50105709
Too slow and I only run the one of. DESU, I am new to the deck and don't play often, but the two times I have played Tron it seemed unwinnable.

>>50105739
I haven't tested it out, As mentioned earlier I don't play that often due to school, but turn 3 opposed to turn 4 could be really helpful. How many should I run?
>>
>>50105885
I'd say run 2-3, probably 2 though although if you feel the MU is THAT BAD you can go for 3
I think 2 is the optimal number though
>>
>>50105099
Bryant Cook plz go.
>>
>>50105709
>>50105947
The jund sideboard teck for tron isn't fulmigator mage ?
I feel like fulmi followed by k-komand is crasy in the matchup
>>
File: Fuck you till you love me.png (350KB, 445x318px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck you till you love me.png
350KB, 445x318px
Guys I invented a borderline unstoppable deck. I've play tested and refined over easily 50 games.

Lord have mercy on my soul.

8 x Forest
8 x Plains
4 x Temple Garden
4 x Windswept Heath
4 x Hyena Umbra
3 x Nature's Claim
4 x Noble Hierarch
3 x Order of the Stars
3 x Rancor
4 x Kor Spiritdancer
3 x Ohran Viper
4 x Pariah
4 x Spike Feeder
4 x Archangel of Thune

It pumps, it draws cards, it gains life, it damage sinks and you can even use Nature's Claim on your own rancor for life/draw more cards.

The best part is that it's fast and flexible. The Order of the Stars lets you adapt to whatever colour you play against when combined with Pariah (fuck your poison counters).
>>
>>50098955

>Has built in hate against Burn and aggro in general
>Shits on dredge by sandbagging your life total, not to mention having Path mainboard alongside RIP in the sideboard
>Has MD Bloodmoon to screwover greedy manabases and Tron to some extent

Only thing stopping it is infect, but with 4 bolts, 2-3 paths MD and 3 sudden shocks in the SB, it should be ok
>>
>>50106531
That's what they all say
>>
>>50107391

They didn't play test it continuously and swap out card every game.

For real I think this deck is gonna break the modern meta.
>>
>>50106347
From what I hear they aren't amazing against tron. Some people say that Jund shoukd just take tron as a loss and dedicate your sideboard to other matchups. Although they are good in other matchups.
>>
>>50107433

It looks like a combo that would be incredibly weak to spot removal once the opponent has seen the interaction once.
>>
>>50107803

That's were the umbra protects it from destroy effects. It's still vulnerable to exile though.
>>
>>50107839
...which is something people play
It's a slower, worse version of thopter sword, a deck that already sees 0 play
>>
>>50107878

It lets you draw a shit ton of card from Kor spirit dancer. I'll outdraw my opponent more often than not.

Thopter sword is slow and shitty. It does nothing right.
>>
>>50107925
No it doesn't
You have 7 enchantments and you're not going to be replaying it that often since you have no sac outlet
>>
>>50108029

>not replaying rancor
It's hard to get rid of.
>>
>>50108080

Wait I think you were talking about thopter sword and not my deck. My bad.
>>
>>50101979
>mardu
>can't beat combo
Play Eidolon of the great revel
You're welcome.
>>
>>50108639
>all combo is storm
>>
Does anyone else find Dredge really boring to play? I don't feel like it ever creates interesting game states or decisions.
>>
>>50108898
Eidolon also works good against Elves, Ad Nauseam, and Grishoalbrand
What other combo decks do people even play?
>>
>>50109254
scapeshift
>>
>>50109296
Pay no heed stops valakut in it's track, but layline is probably a better solution
If you are playing Mardu you have access to black, run Shadow of doubt, Inquisition and/or thoughtsize
>>
>>50107433
>For real I think this deck is gonna break the modern meta.
i wish i had reaction images on this computer
>>
>caleb durward matches on cfb YT
>loses majority of the matches
EL OH EL
>>
>>50108639
>great revel in marudu nahiri
>great revel in a control deck with nearly only <4 cmc spells
>>50109333
pay no heed doesn't do jack against RG titan, the most popular scapeshift deck and shadow of doubt is just bad. Leyline is actually pretty hard for RG titan to deal with I think, will try that. Improves the burn MU as well.
>>
>>50109195

Its fun to play once you get the engine running. Tbh though I like playing it when it was called Squeeflagrate before Shadows came out
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.