[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /tg/'s take on Discworld?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

What is /tg/'s take on Discworld?
>>
File: IMG_1712.jpg (29KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1712.jpg
29KB, 640x320px
>>50072897
It's pretty Bitchin.
>>
It was esteemed classic of the genre even before the author died.
>>
File: itstinks.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
itstinks.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>50072897
>>
>>50072897
It´s great, espacially Vimes and Cohen
>>
File: gurps-discworld-1.jpg (340KB, 924x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gurps-discworld-1.jpg
340KB, 924x1200px
>>50072897

GURPS.
>>
File: cover_lg.jpg.png (390KB, 458x615px) Image search: [Google]
cover_lg.jpg.png
390KB, 458x615px
>>50073163
New standalone version for 4E soon
>>
File: gurps-discworld-2.jpg (353KB, 922x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gurps-discworld-2.jpg
353KB, 922x1200px
>>50072897
Legitimately one of my favorite collective literary works, written by a brilliant author.

As a game setting... Ehhhh....You literally need the absolutely perfect gaming group, and they have to be Discworld fans on top of it.

>>50073163
Don't forget the expansion!
>>
>>50072897

The further away he gets from Ankh-Mopork the worse the book. I found Pyramids and Interesting Times kind of annoying.

At the same time, this is a fairly minor quibble given he has what 40 books, most of them great.
>>
>>50073544
>As a game setting... Ehhhh....You literally need the absolutely perfect gaming group, and they have to be Discworld fans on top of it.
this is the problem, there's nothing special about the setting or the kinds of stories, they're all fairly typical, it's the characters and the specific narrative which makes the series good, and those have to be brought by the group, not the system
>>
>>50073607
I don't know, Small Gods was one of his best books and the Lancre books were usually good.

Fuck though, I wrote is and are at first and realized I had to change them to was and were. It's been over a year and that still hits me hard.
>>
>>50072897
I was a huge fan, but reading the last few books before he died was really sad. I couldn't tell if it was his Alzheimers that made them seem so off, or the fact that he knew the end was coming and tried to rush everything, but they were pretty bad.
All the main characters are way overpowered and hyper-competent at whatever they do. Vimes carries a piece of the Summoning Dark in him that lets him know anything that happens as long as it happens in darkness. Colon is a full-blown racist, and not in a funny way. Moist von Lipvig finds a group of radical dwarves that are clearly ISIS expies, find out they murdered a bunch of railroad workers, drinks a goblin battle-potion and slaughters all of them. And every other character goes out of their way to pat him on the back for it.
People tend to be having more sex, too.

In most of the books, whenever main characters of different books would interact, they almost always had some kind of hangup with each other that kept them from working together (Vimes vs Moist/Edward deWorde, Susan vs Nanny Ogg, etc.), and they'd have to come to terms with each other to get anything done. I always liked that, because it let you see each character as not just "the good guy", but as a complex character with specific goals that would often clash with other good guys. It added a lot of depth, and meant you couldn't just call in Granny Weatherwax to help out with a Watch problem, because A.how the hell would they know each other, and B. why would she care?
But in Raising Steam, everybody just puts aside their differences for absolutely no reason, and they all work together despite the fact that they normally can't stand each other or wouldn't know of them. I'm sure Pratchett wanted to get as many main characters into his last books as he could, but it felt unbelievably forced.
>>
File: ampcw.jpg (206KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ampcw.jpg
206KB, 600x900px
>>50073657
I have had the chance to play in two short campaigns.

One was my old regular gaming group, and everyone was a huge discworld fan, and read all the novels and in-universe books, watched the hogfather movie every christmas, etc. It was a lot of fun, but still missed the feel of a real discworld story.

The second was with a friend's group, and filled with typical D&D power gamers who missed the point. At least half of the table didn't "get" discworld. It was painful and was dropped for a 4thEd game.

Even still, I have the dream of a full-on Discworld LARP. Guilds, Guards, the College of Magic, all of it.
>>
>>50073657
I think that can apply to a lot of stories and settings as well. You don't necessarily go through it for the broader world. That said I still like the fact that that the GURPS book exists, as it is fun to just read the official stats of various characters.
>>
>>50075158
Everybody has their cutoff point, after which things are "post-Alzheimers discworld". Very very few people, even absolute diehard fans of the series, will argue that the last 3-5 books are good.

Personally the last acceptable book was probably Unseen Academicals, which felt like it had some solidly done parts to it even if the introduction of a MASSIVE CORE FANTASY RACE felt entirely offhanded and superfluous. After that it's all just... Yeah.
>>
>>50073607
>>50074867
Part of the problem was that he had a few areas that were well fleshed out by book 15 or so, and a whole rest of a planet that mostly wasn't. He just had so much less to work with when setting a book in XXXX or the Agatean Empire
The other problem was that most of the books set in far flung places had Rincewind in them
>>50075477
>>50075158
I kind of liked Raising Steam when I thought it was the last book. It worked as a ridiculous, overblown celebration of the series and that bit at the end was a nice epilogue. Tacking another novel on after that, especially one that was part of an arch that had already had a satisfying ending, retroactively ruined it though. I think the real problem with the last few books was Terry, not his daughter as a lot of people claim. I feel like he couldn't accept the idea of ending Discworld and was trying to force himself to stick to an output he was no longer able to. That's why he put out a 40th book that was clearly intended to be the end at the time, only to put out another one after that and have a bunch more supposedly on the way. That explains why the quality slipped so much too. If the problem was Rhianna, people could have worked on Rhianna. But Terry?

Would you have been able to bring yourself to tell a dying man he was ruining his life's work?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.