[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 352
Thread images: 44

File: 1459063597162.jpg (191KB, 640x482px) Image search: [Google]
1459063597162.jpg
191KB, 640x482px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread >>50060428
"Playable kobolds are confirmed" edition.

Will you allow new races from Volo's guide to monsters? Will your DM allow them? I know for a fact, for example, that my DM will not allow anyone to play the new races except for, maybe, orcs.
>>
>>50065316
Your DM is a faggot, who can't think past his wannabe-Tolkien setting.
>>
>>50065395
Except he isn't, since they're evil races. They might not fit in to the theme, party etc.
>>
I don't get why so many people were surprised at the inclusion of yuan-ti pureblood as playable. They've had a big presence in the promotion for VGM and in the miniatures set of SKT. I even predicted it in the /5eg/ a couple days ago. Yes, they're evil, I know, but so are orcs, (hob)goblins, kobods.

>>50065316
>Will you allow new races from Volo's guide to monsters? Will your DM allow them? I know for a fact, for example, that my DM will not allow anyone to play the new races except for, maybe, orcs.
I guess I'd allow them, if the player had a good backstory that explains why the character wants to work with the party, and the player is prepared to be greeted with suspicion, fear and basically just have disadvantage on social rolls. Also, probably no more than 1 per party, don't want to turn it into a freakshow.

Unless we're doing an evil campaign.
>>
>>50065432
Exactly, your DM has absorbed the superficial aspects of Tolkien that fantasy writers use but do not understand, to create a world which runs on it-just-is without creativity or introspection.
>>
I want to see the difference between half-orc and pure-orc before I consider whether to use the former or the latter in my setting.

Definitely using kobolds, because they've been planned to be an important race since the start.

May also find use for the Lizardfolk and Yuan-ti as well. Other races, well, maybe not this setting, but in future, definitely.

Because, really, reskinning the fluff of a race is a lot easier in 5e than it was in editions past. Hell, if I wanted to, I could probably take Tritons and reskin them as some kind of seahorse-people species without needing to alter their stats at all. That lack of absolute fluff-to-crunch binding really supports using races as the basis for other races.
>>
Link to Volos?
>>
>>50065480
Magic word?
>>
>>50065316
My answer for stuff like this will always be case-by-case.
I know that people who usually play shit head CN characters won't be allowed to play them.
The rest of my players can go for it - hell, if they want something that isn't in Volo's I'll do my best to work something out.
Although we've just recently rolled characters for SKT so it'll be a while before anyone uses them.
>>
>>50065507
Please. I know it's not out but someone must have leaked it.

What are the new playable races confirmed?
>>
>>50065480
Not out yet.
>>
File: Confirmed.png (280KB, 475x646px) Image search: [Google]
Confirmed.png
280KB, 475x646px
>>50065513
Not out yet, but the list of races is leaked.
>>
File: CoSStrahd.jpg (36KB, 293x306px) Image search: [Google]
CoSStrahd.jpg
36KB, 293x306px
Is Strahd well designed? Or does it suffer from Wizard's perpetual inability to design named personalities?
>>
>>50065683
I didn't get the opportunity to use him in combat yet, but I've heard on plebbit that he's really, really weak and goes down like a chump during the climactic battle. And if he tries to fight fairly against the party who already has the sun sword, he goes down in a couple of rounds.
>>
>>50065731
>fight fairly
lol. he's not supposed to fight fairly, period. that's just not how he's designed
>>
>>50065731
>>50065683
>tries to fight fairly
Kek
If you play Strahd (and his minions) properly there's no chance in hell the party can beat him.
>>
File: grognard2.png (3MB, 2086x2486px) Image search: [Google]
grognard2.png
3MB, 2086x2486px
A couple of times, the MM refers to Adamantine weapons (damage immunity/resistance against weapons that aren't adamantine), but I can't find anything else about it. I see Adamantine armor in the DMG, it's listed as a magical weapon. Is that what adamantine weapons are, magical weapons that only have the adamantine property? Can adventurers adamant their weapons like they can silver them? Or does it only work for boneclaws?
>>
>>50065894
Since adamantine's value is in its extreme hardness and not its supernatural properties like with silver, I'd guess that an adamantine-treated weapon wouldn't work well because most of the weapon would still be too soft.
>>
If I was making a trap that released a gas that had an effect similar to the Slow spell, should it be a Wisdom saving throw (like the spell) or a Constitution saving throw (because its gas)
>>
i Will entirely swap out the dragonborn for the lizardfolk

on an other note, does anyone have the total party kill handbook in pdf?
>>
>>50065894
Drow use them, and the Drow Wizard in the starter set has an adamantine staff.
I'd say weapons can't be made adamantine, they have to be forged from adamantine.
Not sure what kind of price I'd give it, I'd be more likely to offer it as a quest reward.
>>
>>50065924
Up to you.
Personally I'd make it CON - as you've said, you're just using the spell for the mechanics - the gas presumably is causing the slowing, it's not like the gas is casting a spell on them.
>>
>>50065924
Definitely Con because it's gas rather than a casting of the spell
>>
>>50065975
Just to toss in, Adamantine probably is much more common among certain groups and regions than others, I'd go as far to say that in places where it is generally used, it probably is more common for high end weaponry than steel.

Ivan Bouldershoulder's axe is adamantine, and he works it readily enough to make Cadderly a yo-yo esque weapon out of the material.
>>
>>50065917
>>50065975
So it's just a strudy metal. So if someone wields an adamantine sword, it doesn't count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistances/immunities, right? It's a little confusing because adamantine armors are listed as magical items.

And if you'd silver a found adamantine weapon, it could be both (adamantine and silvered)?
>>
>>50065924
Is it a gas created by alchemy/magic, or is a toxic gas of some sort made by science/nature?
>>
>>50065456
> literally anything good within fantasy
> HURR DURR TOLKEIN
>>
Any tip for the first time Wizard? You guys convince me to go diviner, but I can't seem to find a good spell for it (other than Hold Person).

We're level 3, so 2nd level spell is the highest I can cast.
>>
File: chrome_2016-11-02_13-42-01.png (328KB, 475x646px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-11-02_13-42-01.png
328KB, 475x646px
>>50065432
What if I told you, alignment is a social construct designed by the patriarchy.
>>
>>50066069
Best 2nd level spells for a wizard are:
- Suggestion (especially with Portent)
- Pyrotechnics + Flaming Sphere
- Invisibility
- Misty Step
- Levitation
- Mirror Image (> Blur in pretty much every aspect, no concentration)

Some people like Blindness/Deafness but even with Portent I don't really see the point.

I'm only a LV2 Diviner but I'll probably take Mirror Image & Invisibility @LV3 and Suggestion & Levitation @LV4. Still wondering desu.

I hate how Detect Thoughts and Locate Object are this restrictive, they could be fun... sadly, not really worth selecting.

Hold Person isn't that great IMO, even with Portent. Too restrictive, not really interactive, pretty 1 dimensional. When I compare it to Levitation I just don't feel like I'll enjoy using Hold Person.
>>
>>50066009
I think adamantine armor is in the magic items section because there is no section for "mundane items made from special material".
In my game, an adamantine weapon isn't intrinsically magical, but you can get magical adamantine weapons.
I see nothing wrong with silvering an adamantine weapon, it's a pretty niche bonus and it saves the whole "fighter with 10 greatswords made from different materials" that was common in 3.5.
>>
File: pursuer.png (584KB, 662x753px) Image search: [Google]
pursuer.png
584KB, 662x753px
>>50066171
I think it's in "magic items" because adamantine can only be forged by magical means, thus making the product magical in on itself.

> fighter with 10 greatswords made from different materials
What's so bad about it :^)
>>
>>50065432
>aasimar
>firbolg
>lizardfolk
>>
>>50066157
Hold persom = almost auto crit = happy Paladin and Rogue
>>
>>50066190
I don't dislike it because of verisimilitude or anything, it's inconvinient if your DM runs carrying capacity - either RAW or "I'll tell you roughly how much you can carry" and is just another annoying "martials vs casters" thing.
>>
>>50065316
Hobgoblins, lizardfolk, and orcs all have the potential to be player races in my setting as they have large populations and aren't inherently evil. Others on a case-by-case.
>>
How do I make a PC with the power of One for all?
>>
File: IMG_0121.png (207KB, 600x635px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0121.png
207KB, 600x635px
>>50066051
>>
>>50066274
what do you mean by that?
>>
>>50066212
It's mechanically superior and I understand how strong of a condition paralyzed is... But it still is a one dimentional spell that won't provide much fun apart from the "we are clearing combat encounters faster".

I'd much rather have the option to levitate people and things out of combat, than to make a combat encounter a lot easier.
I understand that might not be the case for everyone and that it also depends on what campaign/mindset you are playing. Just providing a different point on view.
>>
So I remember when 5e first came out everyone considered rangers to be kinda underwhelming. Since then has there been any new ways to build them interestingly? I'm about to run a campaign for some friends and one guy wants to be a ranger and don't want him to feel like hes underperforming.

Is there a good way to play them? I thought maybe like a skirmisher swapping between bow and sword?
>>
>>50066293
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf
>>
>>50066293
There's a UA that makes the ranger actually decent from a few months back.
Use that, or just run an Ancients oath paladin.
>>
>>50066293
Check out the newest Revised Ranger in Unearth Arcana. That version is pretty good.
>>
>>50066285
Essentially a muscle wizard
>>
>>50065316
I'm doing Out of the Abyss next. Since a bit part of that is the idea that the characters are surfacers who have become trapped in the Underdark, in an environment that immediately makes them stand out to natives there, I probably won't allow goblinoids, kobolds, or orcs.

Everything else is gravy, though.

>>50065683
Right from Curse of Strahd itself:
- Strahd attacks at the most advantageous moment and from the most advantageous position
- Strahd knows when he's in over his head. If he begins taking more damage than he can regenerate, then he moves beyond the reach of melee combatants and spellcasters, or he flies away (using summoned wolves or swarms of bats or rats to guard his retreat)
- Strahd observes the characters to see who among them are most easily swayed, then tries to charm characters who have low Wisdom scores and use them as thralls. At he very least, he can order a charmed character to guard him against other members of the adventuring party.

"Strahd" and "a fair fight" go together like oil and water.
>>
Sup /5eg/

On my phone right now so I cant post as comprehensively as I want.

I got a question: how can I get some new players at my table who may not be too into D and D into being /the/? Its a guy and his girlfriend who sort of got convinced to play by a mutual friend who really wanted to get a table running. My mutual friend also brought his gf and another bro who's pretty into D&D. They asked for homebrew so I obliged and made one based on the Crusader States era.

However I ran the session and it was... Not the best. The veteran players seemed to enjoy it but were a bit bogged. The newbies dont seem to be enthusiastic. My friend who set up the game's gf was cool... But she doesn't speak much English so I often had to translate into French as well (the joys of Canada). On top of this I didn't realize they had dogs that ran around acting crazy and just generally making noise.

I like most of the people in the group. I really like the campaign I made and dont want it to die. How can i build this game to be interesting even for skeptical new players? I've DMed plenty but usually for enthusiastic players with a tad of experience. Any advice?
>>
>>50066327
>Not allowing goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears in the Underdark
They don't actually settle down there, there are much bigger fish that are way to much hassle for them to deal with. Just because they're used to living in surface caves or bunker fortresses doesn't mean they're used to dealing with drow, duergar, illithids, and all manner of nasties down there. In fact, it could be quite a valid way for such an "odd" race to fall in with adventurers, demand of the situation and all. Could be a good interaction.
Kobolds do settle a bit, but not a ton, could still be a near-surfacer.
Orcs generally live in encampments and basic structures, as out of their element as any human.
>>
>>50066347
Did you make the Characters with the new players?
Do their characters have any actual goals they want to achieve or are they just
>Im an Elf and I have a Bow

Work out some short/medium/long term goals with the players for their characters, tie it into the plot and let them encounter it
>>
File: Tritons.jpg (2MB, 2544x1133px) Image search: [Google]
Tritons.jpg
2MB, 2544x1133px
Since people were unfamiliar with tritons from the last thread.
>>
File: Tritons2.jpg (1MB, 1584x1109px) Image search: [Google]
Tritons2.jpg
1MB, 1584x1109px
>>50066396
And pictures.
>>
>>50066377
Well id agree with you except everyone was late as fuck. I got there about 6 and we didnt even sit for characters until 8 (wat.png). When that happened the new players were annoyed and just wanted to start so asked for pregens. As i said didnt seem to be too into actual character creation. I tried to help em out and make stuff but I do hope people will make 3D characters. I just dont know how much some folks give a shit and I want to give them a reason to care. Also as I said it took a long time to play and the pets were really distracting. They even stopped play at one point!

I don't want to be a shit DM I really dont. But I feel like I'm fighting a really uphill battle to get some players to give a shit. Also the language thing I wasnt quite prepared for. I speak french but not everyone does.
>>
>>50066311
Thanks I'll check that out. I'd rather use that because we already have a paladin in the party. I mean he's going the more traditional route but players never like playing the same.class as another member even if built differently.
>>
>>50066451
Sounds like youre trying to cobble a group together with duct tape and chewing gum where the is none

If you want to do the campaign thing you need a session 0. it can be with each of them individually so they dont feel pressured or ridiculed

otherwise just do one shots where they get to do wacky shit so it doesnt hurt if the game doesnt hold together
>>
>>50066372
It's not just the native settlements that you have to take into account, however, but the slaves as well. Duergar and drow keep extensive goblinoid, orc, and kobold slaves, so anyone meeting them is going to assume "escaped slave" first rather than "surfacer".
>>
File: IMG_0123.jpg (31KB, 289x404px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0123.jpg
31KB, 289x404px
What are good ancestors for an Aasimar characters?
>>
>>50066509
I mean, the party is, so.
It would be an interesting dynamic. The thing with parties with monsters is that you have to keep it to only 1, or have the whole party be strange, for any campaign. Otherwise they can't easily find ways to include the odd one out, and don't want to all take circuitous routes.
>>
>>50066482
>Cobble with duct tape and gum

I guess I already knew that just wanted to salvage. Maybe it'll work out if not its OK though.

I'll do session 0 in the future though and preferably where people show up on time without angry animals.
>>
>>50065316
>I hope the next version of the Mystic UA is the full class with all option before the final version.
>>
>>50066514
Lung dragons.
>>
>>50066643
Me too, Anon. Me too.
>>
Anybody got that homebrew four elements monk fix pdf handy?
>>
>>50066643
it is
>>
File: Complete Monk.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Complete Monk.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50066743
Maybe? I have this.
>>
File: Fixed Wot4E.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Fixed Wot4E.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50066743
>>
>>50066796

Yes, this is the one. Thanks.
>>
>>50066514
A dead one.

Aasimar are an awkward situation. Celestials wouldn't just produce bastard offspring and then skip out on them. They'd be involved in their families' lives. And they're immortal, and a lot of them are very powerful. An aasimar basically couldn't work as a member of an adventuring party unless his or her celestial ancestor was killed while on its native Upper Plane.
>>
File: triton.jpg (59KB, 449x500px) Image search: [Google]
triton.jpg
59KB, 449x500px
>>50066440
I think I'll like Tritons thematically, but they look stupid. Why the dicotomy between a human half and a fish half if you're not going full tail. They should just look like Tritons from Marvel (who kind of looks like the Creature from the Black Lagoon).
>>
>Play a wizard
>Take a few defensive spells in case targeted
>DM will only ever attack the big fighter in plate and with a shield
???
>>
>>50067022
cool story, bro
>>
File: Shalarin1.jpg (548KB, 809x1117px) Image search: [Google]
Shalarin1.jpg
548KB, 809x1117px
>>50067009
Because they exist too in FR
>>
>>50067022
> Play a big fighter with a shield
> Enemies will only attack the wizard
>>
>>50066987
Aasimar are not the direct offspring of mortal and celestial any more than tieflings are meant to represent half-demons. Rather, they're someone from three or four generations down the line, or even further.
>>
>>50065316
I rolled a battlerager despite /5eg/'s warnings that they are the worst thing ever.

I'm currently the biggest offensive and defensive threat in the party. We are level 4. It doesn't seem like that will change anytime soon.

Why are battleragers bad again?
>>
>>50065316
Personally, as a DM, I don't allow unusual races unless the player comes to me with a meaningful, setting-coherent story as to why that character has to be unusual.

I don't like players that want to play a Tiefling or a Firbolg just for the sake of it (specially Firbolgs since I don't know much about it), the same for Drow. If they want to play, say, a Gnoll, they have to read about their culture, their gods, their rituals, their lust for blood and find a way to make that work in the context of an adventuring party. It's not that I dislike the concept of monstruous creatures as adventurers, in fact I love it, I'd love to see how the party would behave itself having a Gnoll in the party and constantly having to stand by its side to protect him from (somewhat valid) prejudice, because that's what heroes do.

But players that come up with "I want to play X" out of the blue, without even reading a fucking article on the Forgotten Realms wiki, those I turn down with a big fat "NO, you can't". When they tell me "but i'd like to experiment!" I'd tell them, "then look for the common race that fits the most and work on your roleplaying, experiment through your personality traits, not through gameplay mechanics".
>>
File: 1472313941572.png (886KB, 800x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1472313941572.png
886KB, 800x1066px
>>50066514
As much as I don't want to think of the implications for grandma/pa, a (hopefully shapechanged) archon hound surely yields cute and faithful dog-person aasimar a few generations down.
My pic pickings are slim unfortunately.
>>
>>50066514
Jesus?
>>
Any other DMs get overwhelmed and overflowing with ideas for your campaign and where to go next and all these names and situations and things for the players to explore.....and then the night / day before or day of you're dreading you don't have enough or don't know what to do come session time?

I'm planning on throwing a huge curveball (the game has been fairly mundane so far, so I'm going to jack up the fantastical quotient) and I'm curious as to how everyone is going to react.
>>
File: zandig.jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zandig.jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
>>50067230
>>
>>50067251
If the players are busy and having fun exploring a big sandbox and it's all you can do to keep up with them, why would you want to make your job even harder by introducing some world-shaking event?
>>
>>50067109
They'd watch over their grandchildren, etc. just as surely as their children. They're not deadbeats.
>>
>>50067316
Not necessarily a world-shaking event. They've been having some sandbox fun, moving forward from A to B to C to D without any overarcing theme, I'm just planning on changing the playing field (going to a different plane rather than FR / not-medieval-town-ville #34).
>>
>>50067329
And force them to go there? Okay, that will certainly make your campaign more predictible for you for a while, at the cost of railroading them.
>>
>>50067326
That doesn't mean they have no responsibilities or restrictions imposed by their celestial superiors. They can't just bugger off to the material all day and act as a literal guardian angel for their descendants, something they understand when they make the first. And given how much tail getting and responsible childbearing aasimar are up to with that divine build and strong sense of morals? Whoa boy, a celestial wouldn't have the time for it after a few generations without anything else to do.
At best, maybe they'll give them the occasional blessing of guidance, lead them to becoming a cleric or paladin, or otherwise lend them a small boon very occasionally. An extra present under the tree at !Christmas, a fresh plate of hot cookies when they're feeling down and alone.
>>
Thinking of doing dark-grey fantasy adaptation of D&D 5E. Thinking of something akin to Black Company in tone and power level. Here are some fluff and mechanical distinctions, make me feel bad about it:

> PCs are mercenaries who work their way up within a company. There are rich cultures and traditions surrounding mercenaries.
> A major focus is mass combat, including leading men into battle in squads and (eventually) batalions.
> Another major focus is politics and winning the fight before reaching the battlefield. Also, the Black Company tradition of making sure your employer doesn't fuck you at the end of a contract
> fantasy races are slang terms for various nations and cultures; all are technically human.
> Magical creatures hunted to (basically) extinction
> magic is for fags
> Cleric not a thing
> Paladin not a thing
> Ranger spells are non-magical. Flavor accordingly.
> Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster are the primary spellcasters in the world.
> Full casters get fucked. Max out at 5th level spells, harder to regain slots. Probably getting extra feats or a fighting style or some shit because...
> Damage-dealing cantrips GTFO
> Magic that isn't abjuration, divination, enchantment, or illusion probably GTFO.
> there is a corrupting influence that pervades certain areas, so some dark, magical creatures are menacing (a hag coven, for example, with 6th level spells)
> Limited power level. There would be generic leadership-based classes (think Brute, Scholar, Tactician, Face) that you gain at even-numbered levels instead of normal classes. These would give ASIs, hit dice/proficiency bonuses, and leadership/mass combat capabilities.

It's barely D&D and it challenges many of the core assumptions of D&D. It's probably not for everybody. It might be for nobody.
>>
>>50067385
It's a valid thing to aim for, but gutting half of a system not really designed for it probably isn't the best way to go about it. You might have better luck starting with a closer base entirely.
>>
>>50067153

Mah edgy spikey mang stupidity.

I like them too.
>>
>>50067376
>responsibility
Which is why you have to think long and hard about why one of them would have made it with a mortal in the first place. They knew that it would eventually lead to responsibilities they couldn't keep. They're these usually-genderless creatures of absolute purity with no sex drive, born straight out of the Upper Planes, and if they have so much as an impure thought they turn into fiends. If they're having children, it's got to be an intentional part of some kind of plan.
>>
>>50067385
This sounds boring.
>>
Anyone played Awaken Mystic? How are they? Psionic Investigation and Conquering Mind seems like a good ability to have in my new campaign.
>>
>>50067153
You're dumb for two reasons.

>Listening to a bunch of min/maxing grognard neckbeards on a Mongolian basketweaving forum
> Trying to prove a bunch of min/maxing grognard neckbeards on a Mongolian basketweaving forum wrong with a sample size of YOU
>>
>>50067412
They may indeed realize that they can't tend to all of their descendants some day, but the same is true of mortal races. And even then, the gifts of their power and influence (drive to do good) are upon all of their descendants still.
>Absolute purity, no sex drive
Source on that? Even if not, they can still feel love, and aasimar happen.
>>
>>50067385
Yeah, I don't think 5e is the system you're looking for to do that, although I'm afraid I couldn't offer a better suggestion.
>>
>>50067385
Main thing I would say would be caution with mass combat rules. Managing entire armies can be a bit boring, but running a combat with several dozen guys is a hassle.

I would suggest having armies be Huge-sized 'swarms' of soldiers, so that the player only has to control 2 or 3 in a fight against a similar number.

I would also say to just cut out most full casters entirely and lean on partial casters like the Fighter and Rogue. Maybe allow the Magic Initiate feat as the main way to get spells.
>>
Lizardfolk +1 con, swim speed, can gain resistance to bludgeoning/piercing/slashing for a turn 1/rest, advantage on saves vs. poison, immune to disease. Claws/bite can up your damage with light weapons.

skink: +2 Dex, prof on stealth checks, your skin changes.
iguana: +2 Str, +1 natural armor bonus
>>
>>50067500
Yea, I've run a lot of mass combat in 5E using swarms. It wouldn't take much to turn my notes and the conventions we use into a more robust, workable system. We've used them, for example, for a boarding action across ships (PCs were pirates.) It's a way to reflect there are 50 sailors on the other side without the law of large numbers fucking them in the ass for trying to do fun stuff.

I might just 86 full casters entirely, but as soon as I do that, a player is going to beg to be one (unique snowflake clause), so I might as well just make them suck
>>
>>50066987
While I can see a celestial taking care of direct descendants as they have responsibility for creating them, if the half celestial makes a baby Would the celestial treat it differently than any other creature?
>>
>>50067153
You are less effective than Two-handed Bear totem barbarian in both offensive and defensive departments.

The gap between ceiling and floor is pretty narrow in 5e though, so you can just play anything you like and still be useful to the party.
>>
>>50067412
>usually-genderless creatures of absolute purity with no sex drive

I have no idea which D&D you're playing, but it isn't any D&D I'm familiar with. Celestials have both sex and sex drives according to official lore. The Hebdomad contains two females, three of Talisid's five Companions are female, the Court of the Stars has a female Queen.

The Book of Exalted Deeds had an entire subsection concerning relationships and sexuality, and it made a point of saying that sexuality is innately neither good or evil, it simply is.
>>
>>50067605
An alternative might be to turn full casters into half-casters. It might take some tweaking, but you could essentially make them like the Ranger and Paladin and give them halved spell progression from level 2.

You might need to give them some actual weapon and armor proficiencies along with an extra attack at level 5 to make that work though. It'd be easiest to do for something like Bard.
>>
>>50065316
>kobolds allowed
>gnolls aren't

I'm sad. Someone in the last thread called them brainless mongrels, I think they're cute.
>>
>>50067605
I like the thought of wizards who are more subtle, divination, rituals and shit
>>
File: implying.png (9KB, 430x150px) Image search: [Google]
implying.png
9KB, 430x150px
>>50067709
>cute
>>
File: 1475378134302.png (76KB, 272x210px) Image search: [Google]
1475378134302.png
76KB, 272x210px
>>50067709
>Guys, we're statting kobolds but not gnolls because while kobolds can be clever and smart enough to sometimes work with other races and be civil gnolls are just barbaric tribes of murderdeath
>Mfw I run Eberron and the exact reverse is true
>>
>>50067745
So come up with some stats for gnolls in your Eberron game. This is Volo's Guide to Monsters. Volo lives in the Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>50067782
I know, and I will if one of my players requests it. I'm actually still quite excited for the book because the lore looks really fun, even if I can't use all of it. I just wish they were a bit more liberal in statting the races, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily help transposing them to settings where they're different enough to warrant different stats.
>>
I joined a party recently - they were staying at a fort when my PC shows up - as a level 1 paladin, party is level 8

They go to have a short encounter dealing with some kobolds for 2-3 weeks in game time. I'm left at the fort and train with the previous big bad - an oath breaker that reformed.

Over the course of a hour the DM would have intermissions for the party playing "we are men" and rocky theme song about the big bad training me at a fort and having combat encounters and various skill checks like climbing walls and stuff

By the time the party came back, I was level 7 as well

I thought that was kind of a cool way to be introduced.

My friend did the opposite:
>wild magic sorcerer
>party is at tavern
>bright magic sphere appears and causes a ruckus
>once the lightning and sphere disappears the DM turns on the terminator theme
>naked dwarf appears
>Austrian accent and asks for some nearby dwarfs clothes
>joins our party
>>
>>50067472
I ignored the opinions of those grognards.

I then asked what I was missing.

You should work on reading comprehension.
>>
>>50065316
I'm building an entire campaign on my players portraying a forward recon unit for a hobgoblin mercenary company. Instead of fighting humans and such, their first Big Asshole to fight is a dragon and his kobold army, who happens to have set up shop in their hard-fought territory.
>>
File: 1459697765696.png (309KB, 306x531px) Image search: [Google]
1459697765696.png
309KB, 306x531px
>>50067808
>Your face when the dwarfinator's faulty and weak magic turns him blue, makes him speak pink bubbles, and summons a unicorn
>>
>>50067709
I don't see why they can't just stat the gnolls. Even if they are 100% unrepentent, unreformable murderhobos, they're still a lot more interesting than fucking goblins. Also evil campaigns
>>
>>50066069

Scorching Ray is heavy dps for bosses, Magic missle is your bread and butter.

Greater invisibility is amazing.

And really pick your school based on your and less on its functionality. That being said Divination isn't dependent on divination spells so go nuts
>>
>>50067831
He hasn't rolled a one yet. He's castes quite a few spells. Wild magic sorcerer seems pretty weak to be honest.

Coolest thing the dwarf has done was use subtle magic to disguise self and turn into another person like liquid metal
>>
I've been running Lost Mines with some friends and we're having a blast but there's one little complication.

His name's Gibby, he's one of the goblins that ambushed the player characters in the beginning, specifically the one that gets knocked unconscious, The PC's decided to stick him in a barrel as a prisoner until befriending him and he's now a de facto party member. It's fun and all having this ace under your sleeve in the form of a hiding goblin but it's a bit of a pain keeping track of this extra guy's stats and whatnot (I'm a new DM) Don't wanna kill him off because my friends are really loving this guy but I don't want some Catbug tier meme character to derail the entire campaign.

Any fun ideas for how I can get Gibby out of the picture?
>>
>>50067891
If he's not using Tides of Chaos for advantage and having the DM trigger surges fairly often that way, one of them is wasting potential.
>>
>>50067898
Have his barrel roll down a hill and into a river
>>
>>50067891
Wild magic IS useless. I have one in my group that has dealt probably 20 damage total, it is now our 8th session.

The player sucks though. He put everything into charm spells and CONSTANTLY tries to steal from the party and every NPC we meet.

But still, even if he wanted to keep up. He gets almost nothing as party of his subclass except like 1 reroll a day or something.
>>
>>50067898
Give him a family, a nice gobbo of his preference to settle down with.
Maybe a little shop.
He could join the dwarves at the forge after they reclaim it, maybe he has a knack for something useful.
Or he could become the new leader of the Cragmaw goblins, and try to be stop them raiding, maybe even shack up next to the town and learn how to farm.
>>
>>50067990
>You have one wild magic that has dealt 20 damage total.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 500x332px
>>50067732
Hyena's are cute you fucking faggot.
>>
>>50068038
Ok
>>
>>50068048
>apostrophe

Fuck autocorrect
>>
Is going Strength 14, Dex 14 really such a bad way to make a versatile fighty type in medium armor?

>>50068038
Clearly the wild mage needs more than just one wild magic
>>
>>50066274
Just squeeze your buttocks and yell this inside your heart: "SMASH!"
>>
DM says Counterspell and Fireball are overpowered and wants to nerf them.
How do I convince him he is wrong. FYI, he comes from 3.5 and WoW.
>>
>>50068087
Call him a faggot. Do you won't.

Faggot.
>>
>>50068067
I think you usually want to try and squeeze out a 16 in your main stat, but unless you go human or pick the right race that can be tricky.

I think 14 could suffice if you're just trying to round out your stats well.
>>
>>50067995
I think I'll go with having him (try to) lead the Cragmaw Goblins, I like the idea of him becoming a goblin chief and eventually reappearing in a later campaign by the time everybody's forgotten about him as some badass goblin king or something.
>>
>>50065316
>Will you allow new races from Volo's guide to monsters?
Yes. I like the idea of players choosing races that would likely be suspicious at best and persecuted at worst. It makes for interesting times at the table.

>Will your DM allow them?
Probably. I'm willing to allow most any PC made with official resources but my group is a grand total of 3 players and 1 GM that has been meeting for about a year and a half or so.
>>
>>50068067
The thing with a generalist is that no fighting style offensively helps them always. GWF, Dueling, and Archery are mutually exclusive but quite good, so people specialize.
Now, you could take Defense style. You'd be capable of fighting with anything, but not an ace in any of them. You're on par with heavy armor (early on) but have -1 to hit compared to a specialist who's rocking +3 of their preferred stat, which can be said to be around -10% to hit when considering enemies of ~14-16 AC (which is about a 50% to hit at level 1 for a specialist, a single point in deviation can shift 10 "winning" rolls down to 9 "winning" rolls) but that difference is less noticeable with low AC enemies and more with high.
>>
>>50068067
>>50068118
Depending on what your GM allows, I think there are some fighting styles in some of the smaller supplements.

Tunnel Rat from the Underdark UA is pretty good with any melee weapon, although I think the once from that seafaring supplement might be even better. I think it had skill and AC bonuses while wearing medium armor.
>>
>>50067009
The whole point of tritons is that they're supposed to be "like merfolk, but can actually walk around on land and so are suitable for campaigns that aren't just underwater", which is why playable merfolk are basically never used.
>>
>>50066458
Eh, I'm actually one of two paladins in my party. My and the other player's PCs are brothers so it may be an exception though.
>>
>>50068087
Fireball is a messily 30 something damage and enemies being spaced out plus having 80+ will not solve problems. It's only powerful if the DM throws tons of small enemies at you that are grouped up
>>
Anyone have Volos yet? The leddit fag who never posts good pictures is at it again..
>>
>>50068224
Merfolk have a more unified appearance in 5e's MM, so maybe Tritons will too? Has anyone seen any art from VGM's Tritons?
>>
>>50068087
And counter spell can still fail, costing a level 3 spell slot to just have something not happen that turn.
>>
>>50068257
Nobody will have Volo's until november the 4th.
>>
>>50068277
Go on dndnext right now. You're wrong.
>>
>>50068224
Eh, if people want to play a Mermaid in my campaign I just make them use the water genasi template but with 25 land movement speed.

Unless Tritons have variant rules to approximate Mermaid I don't see anyone actually wanting to play one.
>>
So my DM is allowing me to switch my cleric into a full Paladin once I hit level 4. Beyond reallocating WIS to CHA and moving proficiencies around, I also need to change my starting feat as I'm a variant human. DM is giving me the option of either Magic Initiate (which I'm ok with) or Inspiring Leader.

I prefer Magic Initiate as I get to keep casting Guidance and Light, but I'm wondering what spell I should pick from the cleric list. Or should I just take Leader?
>>
>>50066514
Generally speaking, romances between Celestials and mortals are slightly more likely to occur with the Chaotic Good Eladrin, who tend to be more "benevolently impulsive" in nature, and the Neutral Good Guardinals, who likewise are not as regimented as the Lawful Good Archons and so have more freedom/initiative/impulsiveness than Archons.

The Chaotic/Neutral Good Angels are also likely candidates.

Really, you need to think more about the mortal side of the affair than the Celestial one. How did a mortal attract the attention of a Celestial? Was the conception ordered by a deity to create a chosen one or messiah? Was the mortal a holy wo/man that the Celestial was sent to guard and whom they fell in love with from there? Were they a redeemable villain and the romance was born from the celestial's efforts to bring them to the light? Were they a mage who summoned the Celestial to father a child for their own reasons?

Really, pick a Celestial you like and then move on to figuring out how a human could have bred with it.

Heck, I knew someone once in a Planescape setting whose character tried to woo Vhara, the Duchess of the Fields and ruler over all equinals, and eventually succeeded after epic attempts at impressing her.
>>
>>50068339
Take Magic Initiate with Bless. That way it doesn't rely on good Wis to get full effect, and you still get that extra cast of a very potent spell without burning your paladin slots.
>>
Oh shit, someone on /R/dndnext got volo's guide to monsters early, so far he has said aasimar have 3 subraces, no other races have subraces
>>
>>50065316
Plan on using LIzardmen as a replacement for Dragonborn in my upcoming one shot that will hopefully turn into a campaign.

I would probably allow most of the new races if the player has an idea how to integrate them into the bronze age style (except without beeing limited to bronze) world i made up.
>>
>>50068394
Cool. The fact that it's concentration doesn't matter because I'm mostly going to be the support pally for the party. We've already got a Vengeance pally so it works out.
>>
Anyone think that having a race (lizardmen) based around not having morals or emotions is a bad idea? Seems like it'd be pretty hard to make an actually interesting character if you're staying true to the lore.
>>
>>50068459
Hobgoblins as the setting equivalent of the Spartans.
>>
File: astu1ON.jpg (396KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
astu1ON.jpg
396KB, 900x1200px
From dndnext
>>
File: 4cn0v3W.jpg (383KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4cn0v3W.jpg
383KB, 900x1200px
New fey
>>
>Bugbears have 5 ft extra reach
Literally best race for melee
>>
File: Merasmus.png (1MB, 1070x654px) Image search: [Google]
Merasmus.png
1MB, 1070x654px
This is how I undying patron tomelock. It's been one of the most fun characters I've ever plaid.
>>
Which class has the most survivability while still being able to be useful?
>inb4 dying in 5e
>>
File: alucard6.jpg (679KB, 1439x1600px) Image search: [Google]
alucard6.jpg
679KB, 1439x1600px
>>50068516
This is the first thing I'm genuinely excited about from Volo. My fingers are still crossed for a Dhampyr or a better Shifter.
>>
>>50068553
I'm ready for my 15" reach halberd polearm master build
>>
>>50068582
Life cleric
Long death monks
Abjuration wizards
Paladins in general
Bear totem barbarian
>>
>>50066090
Source?
>>
>>50068596
>I'm ready for my 15" reach halberd polearm master build
Literally the most broken melee build got even more broken
>>
>>50068594
They aren't there. The leaked list is real.
>>
>>50068490
I'd imagine it's going to be very easy for people to role play poorly. They aren't totally immoral robots or anything. It's just that they're mainly concerned with survival instincts and the costs and benefits of any given action.

A Lizardfolk won't order an expensive meal just because it tastes good. They'll go with the cheaper option unless they're trying to impress with their wealth for some other motive.

It's also unreasonable to assume that a Lizardfolk won't have flight or fight instincts that could be mistaken for more complex emotions. A Lizardfolk who is in a situation they find unfavorable may seem skittish, while one being confronted may be more tense and preparers to throw down.

Other basic instincts or bodily functions may also shine through, such as them being tired. Charm effects may make them view the target more as,a potential mate, rather than inflicting,a real emotional connection.

Lizardfolk can also fake it, to a degree, though in many cases it will be similar to Spock, with the logic focused more on how best to survive and gain advantages.

I have no doub that it's going to be used to poor effect by a bunch of murderhobos who play them as chaotic neutral psychopaths that steal and murder everywhere the go because 'lul no emotions, gotta survive by hoarding and killing'
>>
>>50068490
>emotionless characters can't be interesting
Someone has never watched any version of Star Trek
>>
>>50068633
How is an extra 5 feet of range broken? I played a fighter with a glaive with the lunging maneuver and it was useful only rarely. If you just want to stay away from melee a regular glaive does that.
>>
>>50067171
shouldnt the same be true for elf or dwarf?
I mean i would say someone playing a gnoll while beeing stereotypical is still more interresting than someone playing a dwarf and beeing s tereotypical.
>>
>>50068667
In your opinion, how would you best play a good lizardfolk? Are lizardfolk necessarily entirely self centered in survival instinct?
>>
>>50068553
wait so it weapon distance + another 5 ft
>>
>>50068771
Dunno exactly. No pictures.
>>
File: yvd5qpx.jpg (337KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
yvd5qpx.jpg
337KB, 1200x900px
The disclaimer
>>
>>50068831
The disclaimers are the best thing in this edition
>>
File: volo.jpg (52KB, 392x489px) Image search: [Google]
volo.jpg
52KB, 392x489px
Has anyone seen a pic of the modern Volo? Does he still look like a skinnier Luciano Pavarotti or have the years taken their toll?
>>
>>50068683
tunnel fighter style, polearm master, sentinel, glaive.

infiniate attacks of opportunity that go off when someone enters into your reach and drops their speed to 0 on a hit.

combine that with oath of vengeance and get a free move each time you do it.

even without tha UA tunnel fighter this completely shuts down any "boss" style encounters. you can just AoO when it enters 15", stop it, attack on your turn, back up five feet, repeat.
>>
>>50067153
Minmaxers tend to say anything less than optimal is unusable shit. You'd be better off as a totem warrior, but battlerager works just fine.

You're missing the experience of playing a totem warrior to see how much better you could perform, but you're performing up to a reasonable standard as-is.
>>
>>50068087
There's no way he played 3.5 seriously if he thinks Fireball is overpowered.

He's a faggot who can't figure out most spells have a longer range than Counterspell, and Counterspell's target is the caster, not the spell effect.
>>
File: table of contents.jpg (411KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
table of contents.jpg
411KB, 900x1200px
Post yfw kobolds, orcs, yuan-ti, goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears were disconfirmed.
>>
What are some good builds for a crusader against evil specifically lawful evil. I know in older editions a wizard would be the best choice, but what now.
>>
>>50069077
Monstrous adventurers
>>
File: It's sad because it's true.jpg (874KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
It's sad because it's true.jpg
874KB, 1920x1200px
>>50069077
>>
File: stench kow.jpg (48KB, 400x352px) Image search: [Google]
stench kow.jpg
48KB, 400x352px
>>50069077
>the stench kow is back

Holy crap. There's one monster I never expected to see again.
>>
>>50068553
It really isn't, just because Opportunity Attacks are the only things that trigger off reach.

Most triggered effects are tied to specific distances, usually 5 feet.
>>
>>50069077
>Warlord
Amazing trolling
>>
>>50068898
Sounds like you can do that already, if your DM lets you use unearthed arcana.

Also this only works if you have that bonus action prepped, or you just hope to be going first.

I'm not sure you can use your movement if you aren't taking your reaction to make the opportunity attack. The ability says you do it as part of the reaction and you aren't taking a reaction you are just getting an opportunity attack. You can get 2 attacks, one when it enters your reach, then one when it moves closer, and you are gonna need it, cause 2 feats and this bugbear race means you are gonna have 16 Str all the way up until level 12.

Neat but nothing crazy.
>>
>>50069077
No need to immediately write off orcs, goblins etc. good chance their racial stats are with their monster entries.
>>
>>50069077
The OP said that the leaked PC races were spot on so theyre probably in the monstrous adventurer's section or the write-up is in each Monster lore section
>>
>>50068492
By Bronze age i mean very Tribal and small scale, think Glorantha, not neccesarily by actual bronze age.
Hobgoblin Greeks would work well tho, especialy as mercenaries.

I plan on letting the players (who will be based on a village of a rising tribe, whom they are not related to) have a rival faction that will behave like a rising rome, slowly conquering the neighbouring tribes.
So i can see the PCs maybe using Hobgoblins as mercenaries, or eventually having to fight them in the employ of their rivals.

The world is inspired by Endless Legend, its a fantasy setting explained via sci fi, all the fantasy races and magic is explained by overly arcane magic, the players of course dont know this
>>
>>50069159
they are confirmed, goblins get some weird bonus damage once a rest against targets bigger than them, along w +2 dex +1 con and bonus action hide/disengage. best monks/rangers coming through
>>
>>50069215
>weird bonus damage once a rest against targets bigger than them
That scales with level, pretty good
>>
>>50068742
I would say to play it cool. Vaguely animalistic, but still quite intelligent.

While that sort of survivalist instinct nature will be hard to shake, it doesn't mean you can't have concern for others. The entry actually calls out that a Lizardfolk will often instinctively view others that can fend for themselves but still need help as akin to hatchlings. Such a description could easily work for a Lizardfolk barbarian who wants to protect the squishies and becomes the sort of parent of the group.

You could also play up the instintual responses for some acts, like eyes narrowing and puffing out their chest when angry, or swishing their tail around and glancing around in all directions when nervous.

You basically have to treat the character as if half the people they've ever known have been eaten by a giant gator from nowhere. They'll be more hesitant to form bonds, more fierce about protecting those that they trust and rely on, and not very mournful when one dies.

This also influences how some classes would be with a Lizardfolk. A Lizardfolk bard would probably sing mostly dour song a that serve as cautionary tales, of tribes being eaten by a monster until one discovers his weakness and slays it. Or of a child who disobeyed his parents, gets lost in the wood, and falls into quicksand. It's unlikely a Lizardfolk would ever view a place as safe, merely less risky.

Having them raised by another race might solve this, depending how instinctual it is.

Perhaps an idea for their personal quest could be that they won the affections of a Dragonborn, though only view them from an instinctual desire to breed. Thus they quest to find a way to give themselves the ability to love so they can return and try and have a normal relationship.
>>
>>50068594
>dhampyr
>ever
>>
Anyone tried running a low-magic or low-fantasy game in this system? How'd it go?
>>
>>50069307
Low fantasy works pretty well until around level 10, because unlike 3.5, 5e doesn't work on magic mart.
>>
>>50069326
You really don't need any major houserules?
>>
>>50069326

>playing until level 10
>>
>>50069369
>playing 5e
>>
>>50069375
>playing d&d
>>
>Lizardfolk:

>Con +2 and Wisdom +1.

>Swim 30ft.

>Bite attack as an unarmed strike and can eat after a bite attack to gain temp HP, once per short/long rest.

>Can craft a shield, club, javelin, or darts/blowgun needles on a short rest, granted they have supplies to do so.

>Hold breath for 15 minutes.

>Natural armor like dragonborn.

My druid race
>>
>>50069269
>hobgoblins have +1 int +2 con
assuming they get the advantage on attack rolls within 5 feet of an ally thing, how good does this sound?
>>
>>50069403
They deal extra damage if an ally is within 5 feet. Not advantage.
>>
>>50069386
>playing
>>
>>50069375
>existing
>>
>>50069326
>>50069366
Let me rephrase. What would you say if someone tried to do low magic 5e by using the Adventures in Middle Earth classes?
>>
File: The party.png (279KB, 622x232px) Image search: [Google]
The party.png
279KB, 622x232px
>>50069366
For maximum dark fantasy experience:
1) Bringing back the dead now gives them indefinite insanity (DMG 260).
2) Use injuries rules (DMG 272)
3) Use sanity rules (DMG 264)
4) The only magic items are cursed - they are incredibly useful, but potentially dangerous
Personally, I don't advise it, but to each their own.
>>
>>50069476
I personally would consider using a modified version of unknown armies sanity
>>
>>50069434
>occupying an ontological state
>>
That redditfag is a real attention whore, posting about having Volo's and then refusing to give out concrete info unless badgered enough.
>>
>>50069589
What else did you expect, he's a redditor. He wouldn't even leak this shit, if not for an opportunity to fish for karma. Yes, internet points actually matter to them.
>>
>>50068831
amazing.
>>50068881
indeed.
>>
>>50069621
I didn't actually know that about reddit. I only know about their SJW thought-policing so I wrote it off as a site for massive faggots.
>>
>>50069621
You think he'd atleast post the racial stats so people could plan shit.
>>
>>50069647
Basically, karma is _the_ reason reddit is shit site. It's a bunch of internet points that your account can gather, and you earn karma by your individual posts. If other users like your post, they upvote it, otherwise they downvote.
Here's the thing - post's karma determines it's visibility, so if you want your post to be actually seen and replied to, you gotta conform. If you dare to have a contrarian opinion (like supporting Donald Trump on /r/politics) your post will be downvoted to hell and thus hidden from other users.
Also, retards like to fish for karma, even though accumulating it on your account does absolutely nothing. Thus, top replies on reddit are retarded in-jokes and posts like "I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I loved Fallout 4 so much!"
It's fucking cancer. I've migrated to 4chan from reddit specifically because it doesn't have karma whoring and permament identities, outside of cancerous tripfags.
>>
>>50066514
A paladin's celestial warhorse from Find Steed.
>>
Looks like I can finally run that Darguun campaign in Eberron I always wanted to but couldn't because of 3.5's retarded level adjustments.

Happy to see lizardfolks and orcs to round out player options from the more remote parts of Khorvaire.
>>
File: Abusive.png (191KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Abusive.png
191KB, 400x400px
And the redditfag left after posting barely any content. What a fucking faggot.
>>
Orcs have

+2 STR
+1 CON
-2 INT
They can run at an enemy as a bonus action
Same shit as Half-Orcs
>>
>>50069837
>-2 INT
Oh god, please they cant bring this shit penaltys back. Hope its only because they needed a drawback for orcs not be literally half-orc but better
>>
>>
>>50069077
>Firenewt warlock of Imix
>there's no Elemental Shitlord Patron archetype
>yet another mention of the Elementals, this time outside of PotA, and still no one's said shit about Kossuth / Istishia / Grumbar / Akadi

>FUCKING XVARTS
>>
>Hobgoblins being +2 CON / +1 INT
>Super Spartan Martial People not having a boost to STR or DEX

I'm not sure what to make of this.
>>
>>50069919
Spartans were tough and had good tactics. Seems like a good fit and doesn't just tread on the same ground as orcs/half-orcs.
>>
>>50069919
They are strategists, not brutes
>>
>>50069919
In warfare, being the strongest dude isn't always optimal. Being able to march for long periods of time (high CON) and being able to strategize and adapt (high INT) often were more important.
>>
>>50069947
>>50069941

Good points, my dudes.
14 STR / +4 to hit isn't that big a deal in exchange for fun RP potential.
>>
>>50069972
In warfare, being the guy in the back with the longest spear was the most important thing.
>>
>>50069983
>In warfare, being the guy in the back with the longest spear was the most important thing.
So, bugbears mater race?
>>
>>50070002
Bugbears are absolutely useful as foot soldiers, but not particularly smart.
>>
>>50070016
Well, as far as we know they dont have Int reduction, so you can make a pretty smart one
>>
>>50070016
>fighting an army of bugbears with spears
>____X____
>XOOOOOX
>XXOOOXX
>XXXOXXX
>being attacked by nine of them at a time
>that's before they surround you
>>
File: 1478112342885.png (766KB, 824x748px) Image search: [Google]
1478112342885.png
766KB, 824x748px
What god would a LE paladin follow as an excuse for his racism?
>>
I sure am glad that 5e has classes and feats that use intelligence for me to use on my hobgoblin.

Oh wait
>>
>>50070106
It's optimal for the tactical subclass of warlord though.
>>
>>50070089
Your God would know you are just trying to gain his favor as an excuse. You can't fake him out. Just go godless paladin.
>>
>>50070089
>>50070185
But on the other hand, Gruumsh probably really really dislikes elves.
>>
>>50070089
Reality
>>
>>50070106
they make good immortal psionics
>>
File: Zealous accusation.jpg (21KB, 249x380px) Image search: [Google]
Zealous accusation.jpg
21KB, 249x380px
>>50070089
> Implying there's anything wrong or evil about putting humanity first
>>
>>50069941
>>50069947
>>50069972
>con+int
Well now they are wizard
>>
>>50070275
That too. :)
>>
>>50070275
Except apple cobblers hate Wizards.
>>
I'll run a quick adventure and am using a pre-made one from AL. The whole idea is very interesting, revolving around a portal to Limbo that is causing weird shit to happen in this location, but as I read it I realized nearly every encounter can only be resolved through combat. As much as I enjoy it, saying "roll initiative" gets repetitive after a while.

So I'm here looking for ideas. One of the encounters is with a boulder who developed a conscience (a Galen Duhr) and decided it was his duty to prevent anyone from pass in through his room. What are some good puzzles or riddled I can use with this?
>>
>>50070275
I see no problem. Wizards are often good strategists by necessity.
>>
In light of the recent bugbear stats, lets design a feat that uses intelligence for a martial purpose, a reason for someone to get 14 Int that isn't a wizard.

Seasoned Strategist:

Minimum 13 Intelligence

For 10 minutes you relay tactics and maneuvers to your allies. Choose 6 companions, they may make one weapon attack costing no action on their turn. This attack Adds your intelligence modifier to the attack roll.
>>
>>50070362
Damn auto-corrector.
*Galeb Duhr *passing through *riddles
>>
>>50070405
Then wizards would take the feat anyhow. Would it be too much to include a prerequisite of proficiency with martial weapons?
>>
What are bugbear stats bonus?
>>
>>50070405
Great Weapon Master but backwards
>>
>>50070405
>some pansy-waisted, limp-wristed, four-eyed twat in a dress is going to tell me how to fight just because he's wasted 30 years of his life mopping floors in a wizard's tower before learning to cast magic missile
No.
>>
>>50070405
I think a better idea would be to introduce more Battlemaster maneuvers that can make use of Int.

Also, a better way to do that feat would be to restrict it so the ally using the Ing damage bonus had to have an ally near the target. Sort of like a more minor rogue sneak attack to represent flanking and tactics.
>>
>>50070275
So Spartans were Muscle Wizards?
>>
>>50069077
>Flail snail
My body was not ready for this
>>
>>50065527

Fuck yes,

I was really scared that it wasn't going to have Kobolds, since all of their promotional excerpts just mentioned goblins, orcs and firbolgs...
>>
File: 1471476566822.gif (676KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
1471476566822.gif
676KB, 500x381px
>>50069077

FUCK.

I just want my Kobolds... ;_;
>>
>Tritons

Fuck you.
PCs are meant to represent being a cut above, so just say that Merfolk PCs have mastered the art of flopping at 30 feet per round.
>>
>>50070447
I don't necessarily want to rule wizards out of taking this, no feats put more than a stat requirement.
>>50070479
I can agree on that.

Blah blah blah requires 13 Int.

When an allie within 5 feet of you makes an attack roll, you can use your reaction to make an opening for them. Your ally gains your intelligence modifier to the attack roll.
>>
File: 1469645847219.jpg (359KB, 933x1352px) Image search: [Google]
1469645847219.jpg
359KB, 933x1352px
>>50070488
>Muscle Wizards
>>
>>50067171

That's a very well written out thought on about have unique races in a game but sometimes I just play something cool and not worry about details
>>
>>50070531
>monstrous adventurers
>>
>>50069077
>brontosaurus
>deinonychus
>dimetrodon
>hadrosaurus
>quetzalcoatlus
>stegosaurus
>velociraptor

NEW DINOSAURS FUCK YEAH

Lizardfolk Ranger with pet Velociraptor is going to be my next character.
>>
>>50070488
>con
>muscle
They were cardio wizards
>>
>>50070447
>>50070478
What if it also required training in at least one martial weapon?
>>
File: 20161102_143655.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161102_143655.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
>>50070624
>somatic component of the spell is done by perfoming 90s cardio workout exercises
>>
>>50070764
let's see some armloops, apprentices!
>>
>>50070748
>+2 Dex
>+2 Str

WHAT THE FUG WIZARDS

YOU KILLED MY KOBOLDS REEEEEEE
>>
>>50070748
:) THANK YOU :))))
>>
>>50070792
-2 STR friendo
>>
>>50070792
Dex increased, Str reduced.
>>
Regarding ranger, I got a player who wants to roll one, and I'm thinking of a tweak or two
- expertise at the same levels as Bard
- the improved beastmaster as an archetype, the original beastmaster's pet abilities are now core to the class
- Maybe a third archetype with a focus on being a shaman (possibly with a few bard-like abilities, but not inspiration)
- A few more spells on the spell list

>>50065316
Yes, but depends on the world. Goblins are def in.
>>
>>50070808
I for one am glad this meme is making a comeback
>>
Can bugbears grapple from 10 feet?
>>
File: abba_by_yilx-d77nev2.jpg (92KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
abba_by_yilx-d77nev2.jpg
92KB, 640x800px
>>50070531
Kobols actually ARE appearing.
>>
>>50070748
Quick anon run before the Internet police catch you.
>>
>>50064279
That's including both wings, so it's actually kind of small to hold something as heavy as a cat aloft.

>>50062997
Outside of Dark Sun and anything else that rips off the concept, I don't see much merit to that approach.

That said, I think that kobolds and dragon lineage sorcerors already fill the niche well enough anyway.
>>
Conjecture time: How many subraces will each of these have?

Reminder that subraces are absolutely necessary to have races that exist differently in different settings while still maintaining the core stats as cohesively representing the race.
>>
>>50070748
>-2 str
Oh, so stronger than women?
>>
File: 1478115595805.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1478115595805.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>50070748
Australian anon fucked up, fixing it for him.
>>
>>50070925
The only new race with subraces is Aasimar, unfortunately.
>>
>>50070925
Only aasimar have subraces, none of the others in the book do.
>>
>>50067153
I never would have said battlerager is bad. Berserker is worse and as a barbarian you already grapple a lot making the battlerager pretty useful.
>>
>>50070748
>bugbears are built to be assassins
>>
>>50070936
>+2 Con / +1 Int
>bonus martial weapons and light armor
>bonus to attack rolls

>stats for Int casters, traits for martials
All Hobgoblins confirmed for psychic warriors?
>>
>>50067500
The 5e mass combat rules in that UA are really not bad at all.
>>
>>50070568
It looks good, but not good enough to waste a feat and your reaction for it. I would say to add that they also gain advantage on the attack, then it'd be fine, but it would also kill its synergy with many subclasses which already have similar features. Make it more versatile. An idea would be for it to give additional benefits if they had a Fighting Style.

You could add, for example "Alternatively, when an ally within 5ft of you becomes the target of an attack, you can use your reaction to add your Intelligence modifier to their AC. This effect stacks with the benefits from the Protection fighting style."

Defense: Your ally also gains +1 AC on top of your Int mod.
Dueling: Your ally also gains +2 damage besides your Int mod to attack.
And so on.
>>
File: pertubed Balrog.png (454KB, 628x480px) Image search: [Google]
pertubed Balrog.png
454KB, 628x480px
>>50070938
>>50070952
So WotC is abandoning their main good idea regarding race design in this edition.

I'm disappointed, but I can't say I'm surprised.
>>
>>50070966
>an 8' tall, 340 pound fucker crawls along the rafters in utter silence and stabs you from 15 feet in the air, fatally
>>
>>50070748
Bugbear are broken as fuck.
>>
>>50070967
They're schtick was disciplined fodder to cut down and I love the martial weapon thing since they always had shit like bastard swords and morningstars
>>
>>50070986
brb designing an Alien campaign
>>
>>50067745
Step 1: Take half-orc
Step 2: Swap relentless endurance for rampage
>>
>>50071012
>mfw there's a Star Trek: The Next Generation / Aliens crossover coming

>captain there's some kind of strange alien creature prowling around the jeffies tubes and spitting acid on people
>uh, transport it into space, number one
>>
>>50070986
A bugbear Assassin/Battlemaster multiclass could achieve this with a whip.
>>
>>50070985
Do you actually need three slightly different versions of hobgoblin, Goliath or Kobold?

So what if they're less flexible, they're special snowflake races already.
>>
>>50071044
With Battlemaster it could be 20 feet
>>
>>50071044
No, that would be up to 20 feet with a whip. Bugbears are now better then any Belmont.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8cqzAUsArM
>>
>>50071070
If it deserves to be a race, it deserves to be made flexible enough to be used in multiple settings. And there's tons of variety of kobold, so of fucking course it should have subspecies.
>>
>>50070966
>Bugbear strength barb/rogue
Nice.
>>
>Tactical expertise falls under intelligence instead of wisdom
Dumb
>>
>>50071131
Wisdom is a poorly designed stat anyway
>>
>>50071131
strategy is something you learn, it isn't really covered by wisdom as D&D uses it
>>
>>50070748
pls post next pages
>>
>>50070748
Post Lizardfolk/Kenku
>>
>>50071179
ignore this, post catgirls
>>
>>50071114
Except that isn't even what subraces are for, it isn't as though mountain dwarves only exist in FR and hill dwarves in Eberron.

Besides, Volo's is explicitly FR content, not setting agnostic.
>>
>>50070568
I would say instead, when you hit an enemy with a weapon attack, you can use your bonus action to let the next ally who hits it with a melee weapon attack deal int mod extra damage, and it lasts until the start of your next turn.

That's a nice extra chunk, but it's a bit low due to needing 2 attacks to connect and being only 2-4 damage in most cases.

I would remove the Int requirement and instead put a +1 Int bonus. Maybe even another extra effect like adding your Int mod to the damage or accuracy of opportunity attacks, or to AC against them to help outmaneuver opponents.
>>
>>50071234
>that isn't even what subraces are for
No, it isn't the ONLY thing that subraces are for.

>Volo's is explicitly FR content
So you think we're going to get a whole separate statblock for the orcs of eberron now, or for generic orcs with Volo orcs as a subrace?
>>
>>50071157
You have to learn the concepts of survival and medicine, they're still wisdom based.

Tactics rely on observation, quick judgement and experience, there's no reason for it to be intelligence based.
>>
File: bugbearbelmont.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bugbearbelmont.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>50071110
>>50071044
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef__VtsqDoc
>tfw goblinkind ill needs a savior such as you
>>
>Hobgoblins losing their Martial Advantage ability

For what purpose.
>>
>>50071311
let's be real, survival and medicine are wisdom based because of rangers and clerics
>>
>>50071340
Probably because it's OP
>>
>>50071276
No, I don't, for the same reason if we ever get published minotaurs they won't be the pirate minotaurs from the UA.
>>
>>50071340
because they're all eldritch knights and immortal mystics now
>>
>>50071354
Then, how can you think that these races subraces-free races are anything but a bad thing?
>>
>>50071340
What, you don't like their new racial where they spill their spaghetti all over the floor?
>>
>>50070936
>Kobolds can beg for their lives
>>
>>50070852
Different anon here, this could very well make me into a very happy anon.
>>
>>50071402
>>50070936
Here ya go buddy
>>
>>50071330
>you will never play a Darkness Falls-styled campaign where the entire party is monstrous races or classic horror movie fodder, fucking around and terrorizing the countryside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4OxW_0qqv8#t=0m37
>>
>>50069919
+2 CON / +1 INT basically makes them Ridcully from Discworld.

I get that they were likely trying to represent Hobgoblins being tactical geniuses, but that doesn't work so well mechanically when nothing in the martial arsenal relies off INT or any of the knowledge skills (unless your DM does some homebrewing)
>>
>>50071372
Because they're niche "ask your GM first" races and not broad archetypes like Elf or Dwarf? They don't have subraces for the same reason Half-elf and half-orc don't.

Why do I need them to make every permutation of a race in a game that has a section on the DMG explicitly about creating new races and subraces?
>>
>>50071454
someone missed the SCAG half-elf memo
>>
>>50071418
How hard would it be to play through Curse of Strahd with a bugbear/hobgob/goblin/orc party? You're still there to do all the heroic stuff, you just can't waltz into gypsie camps or peasant villages and expect to have a nice (or even unpleasant) time.
>>
can someone explain to me why darkvision is handed out like fucking candy among the races?
>>
>>50071497
a lot of races live underground
to be honest I was surprised when I found out dragonborn don't have it
>>
>>50069077
>Volo's guide to cows
>>
>>50071497
Because infravision was too sci-fi for shitstains born after the 70s,
fuckheads with low attention spans couldn't keep low-light, dark-, and ultravision straight,
and DMs / groups rarely paid attention to lighting conditions and ranges to begin with.

If you're legit, half-orcs and dwarves have darkvision, elves and gnomes have low-light, and everyone else can get fucked.
>>
>>50071454
>not broad archetypes like Elf or Dwarf?
I'd say that orcs, goblins, and lizardmen are equivalent, and kobolds are actually broader.

>for the same reason Half-elf and half-orc don't
Those don't have subraces because they're already diverse hybrids without culture. Aside from Aasimar, the same reason doesn't really apply here.
>>
>>50071534
>tfw you're autistic and have to mention that you walk around in the dark perfectly fine with no torch or anything despite it being night or in a cave because you have darkvision
>the rest of the party (entirely human) was hoping the DM would forget again
>>
is multiclassing worth it for a campaign starting at lv1?

i'm playing a lore bard and have a chance to fix some of my ability scores, and i was thinking of getting enough int to mc into divination wizard but that'd mean less dex or con, and even if i don't plan on being on the frontline, i don't want to be made of wet cardboard.

also losing levels of my progression seems very harsh when everyone else is going full on a single class.
>>
>>50071556
fags deserve it for picking variant human
>>
>>50069390
Confirmed stuff? Any pictures?
>>
>>50071603
No pictures, the guy on reddit gave this info, so its probably true
>>
>>50069077
>No Phaerimm
>Spawn of Kyuss is in though
Why though?

Are they planning some worm that walks adventure or some shit?
>>
>>50071678
You are now aware that the next adventure is code-named LABYRINTH
>>
>>50069390
Dragonborn don't get natural armour
>>
>>50071875
I copypasted what he wrote, he probably was talking about dragon origin AC
>>
>>50070160
I miss warlords
>>
Can you use an illusion spell to make a 'wall' that's opaque on one side, but transparent on the other (like a two-way mirror)? My bladelock would really like an easy source of advantage, but darkness/devil's sight fucks with the party.
>>
>>50071939
I miss lazylords
>>
>>50071967
since you can see through your own illusions I don't think you need anything specific
>>
Hobgoblins are basically Wizard only now

Con, Int, 2 martial weapons and light armour

1 feat and you get medium and shields, get ready for huge AC wizards
>>
>>50071988
I'd like the party to be able to taker advantage of it as well, but knowing that it works for me is a good start.
>>
File: Kord.png (36KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Kord.png
36KB, 256x256px
I know we're all busy talking about monster races, but I wanna interrupt to ask a question. And hey, this may even work for monster races!

I'm creating a Half Orc Cleric who worships Kord. However, I want him to be following a misguided cult. I want the cult to be close enough for him to still be able to derive his cleric powers from Kord, but just off enough that any other proper followers of Kord would tell him to knock it off.

Any suggestions on this?
>>
>>50071996
ignore the int, it's great for most squishy casters
>>
>>50070453
As in +5 to hit -10 to damage? Because that's garbage.

Unless it's +10 to hit -5 to damage. Which is just bad.
>>
>>50072036
Add 'dominate the weak' after 'venerate the strong' in Kord's scriptures.
>>
>>50072016
>can I give my whole party advantage for free with one illusion
probably not
>>
>>50072047
Sorcs get dragon scales, druids get Wildshape and clerics get medium or heavy armour

Only wizards
>>
>>50071996
>abjuration wizard with 19 AC, blur, mirror image, and a ward
>can also cast shield when needed
>>
>>50072036
It's hard to come up with suggestions that wouldn't also involve Lord telling them to knock it off. It's so easy to call up a god and ask for advice on their doctrine that disputes seem hard.

For that reason, it may be better to go with something that's more based on the cultural laws of the nation the cult is in. They may be an official church that is following mortal laws that don't strictly conflict with the doctrine.

For example, the laws of the nation may forbid female clerics, or forbid clerics the use of bladed weapons. Maybe there's a ban on war priests meeting in large numbers, due to them leading a revolt so many years ago.

You half orc might assume such rules are the normal teachings of Kord, which could cause confusion when you leave and spot a dozen female kord clerics all wielding swords.
>>
>>50070819
Have you seen the revised Ranger UA? It should be fine for your campaign provided your player only takes levels in that class.
>>
>>50072097
Don't forget blink for another layer of defense.
>>
>>50072121
>>50072121
>>50072121
NEW THREAD
>>
>>50072097

Or you can just dip into cleric for 1 level, thats what my halfling wizard did, 19 AC with mirror image, blink and shield spell ready is hilarious, portent tho...It is delicious to get guaranteed crits with upcast inflict wounds, got double 20's one day, I laughed my way through that boss.
>>
>>50070936

Many DMs will be forbidding players from using volo's all.
Thread posts: 352
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.