[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I run a political intrigue campaign?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: ultintrigue.jpg (13KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
ultintrigue.jpg
13KB, 201x251px
> group wants me to run a political intrigue campaign in Pathfinder

I'm five or six sessions in, and I've set up this plot where these cultists / kobolds are kidnapping alchemists and mages and forcing them to help engineer a superplague. They've cleared out one cultist hideout and have found evidence implicating a noble in the city is complicit with it.

But, I really don't know how to pull this off? Do I do a lot of prep? Should I do the same half-baked improv that has made them call me the best DM they've ever played with (which hurt the other DM in the group's feelings and caused him to taper off his own campaign which still pisses me off that they said that in front of him) or should I put real effort into prepping names and palace locations? I've got a good idea in my head, but I can't ever do real worldbuilding beforehand. I have to build the world as I go, then develop it between sessions. Example: I didn't decide the plains around the city were inhabited by mostly giant vermin in terms of monsters, until I had a fight with ankhegs, enjoyed it, and had a giant ant's nest as a sidequest to eat up a session.

Fuck, what do I do? I don't know why I am so insecure about my DMing ability but political intrigue, I'm not sure if I can do it. Also my friend bought Ultimate Intrigue and is pissed we haven't gotten to it yet. What do? Is the book any good?

Bottom line, I need advice on doing a political intrigue campaign, specifically in Pathfinder, but honestly just in general. No memes, no "lmao 3.pf is shit" fuckery, just help. Please.
>>
Non-OP curiosity bump.
>>
>>50062397
Start small so you are ready to cut your losses. They may SAY they want political intrigue, urban investigation, etc, but in fact they often just mean "we want to fight rats in the sewer next."
>>
>>50062397
Draw a relationship map. Have different characters that want different things and have preexisting relationships, who works for who, who is loyal who plots betrayal. Make some dotpoints about info they know and how they will react to being approached by the PCs.

You can do it for organisations as well, not just individuals. Then when you need to come up with some more depth to a throwaway NPC that the PCs are suddenly interested in have them be a member of an organisation and hey presto, they have an agenda.

Keep it flexible, the PCs don't have to interrogate the right people in the right order to get more info, just use this framework to have the NPCs act naturally. YOU sort of know what's going on, neither the NPCs nor PCs do.

Update it as you go, put "The party" in as an element of the map.

It's still going to be very improv, but this gives you a solid base to do it off.
>>
Matt Colville's latest video is on this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiT6RTlLYc
>>
>>50063316
>spends 30 minutes to say "have a central tension"
Good advice, but damn.
>>
Don't have high level characters exist at all in the setting since they are immune to assassinations and don't need supporters for a lot of things.

Knee cap magic users, especially anything mind controlling or the plot will leave any real of sanity fast.

Find a better system for bluff and diplomacy, since magic existing makes high bluff insanely powerful ("The sky is red and your memories are a result of a Mind Rape spell" is not an impossible statement and thus a valid use of bluff RAW) .

So, once you have gutted 3.pf and figured out your replacements, just make characters with competing wants who can reward the players for helping them and will try to hinder or attack the players for opposing them.

The noble involved probably planned to have his levies made immune or exempt from the plague and thus he would be in a crazy powerful position after everyone else got fucked.

He wants power and control, he has a decent enough military of his own, can offer occult items for attacking his peer's levies.

Do that kind of outline about 15 times and your players will think it is the most amazingly rich and lively city of about a dozen actual people.
>>
>>50062397
>pathfinder for an intrigue game
>combat sidequests in an intrigue game
>generic cultist bad guys...in an intrigue game
>le improv best DM maymay
You're fucked.

It's not that pathfinder is shit. It's that you're trying to cut wood with a fucking hammer. I can't give you any advice because you've already begun.

But actually >>50062955 has a point: if they've liked it so far, they never wanted an intrigue game. They wanted a hack-'n-slash. Maybe they wanted to feel like political animals while hack-'n-slashing, but they never wanted to actually do politics.
>>
>>50063162
Do this OP
have like 3 major factions that want similar things but hinder each other because the means they use to achieve it are in conflict
or they want different things but the way to get it is the same

boom, instant tention. From there just flesh out the factions with key NPCs and resources they have at their disposal.
Let the Party encounter and interact with all factions involved in some way before putting them infront of a decision of whom to help.
From there throw in twists as needed - your faction was the evil one all along!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.