[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paper Miniatures!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8

File: tumblr_nul0u0tcSJ1rg9prro2_1280.jpg (420KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nul0u0tcSJ1rg9prro2_1280.jpg
420KB, 1280x956px
I was into tabletop wargames before I got in to RPGs and it shows. I've been the group DM but I've always felt a great deal of anxiety and stress involving miniatures, namely:

>Fuck me I'll never finish painting these

>My painting sucks

>I need to convert these weapons so I have a mixed armament

>I don't have miniatures for this RACE/CLASS/SNOWFLAKE

I think I'm finally coming around on simply forsaking miniatures altogether for paper counters, namely standups. It allows vast freedom of content, extremely cheap cost and more stylistic choice

Who here paper miniatures, be it with flat "pog" style counters or standups?
>>
Guild Ball has official paper miniatures and free rules that you can buy from their site
>>
>>50060097
I bought Pathfinder pawns and they've been enough for most everything I needed.
>>
File: PaperMinisGangOfIconics.jpg (157KB, 1280x674px) Image search: [Google]
PaperMinisGangOfIconics.jpg
157KB, 1280x674px
I have a particular soft spot for paper miniatures which share a consistent art style. As an added bonus if the group has a drawfag you can have him edit/create miniatures as needed between sessions if, say, a PC is particularly picky about being portrayed accurately
>>
This guy has a pretty decent set of guides for making your own single and regiments of paper minis.
https://youtu.be/VWWu9Ny8cW8
https://youtu.be/foQj8PDNF9w
https://youtu.be/wQe0LJv9BOE
>>
>>50060123

I've used pawns before but I find I wind up not enjoying the lack of different equipment, especially when I'm using a system that requires clearly distinguished gear
>>
File: taliban1.jpg (135KB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
taliban1.jpg
135KB, 1024x679px
Another miniatures problem, not having the right miniatures for a certain genre. For example a modern warfare setting, or Sci Fi with specific aliens or even an anime based game
>>
File: minotorn from paper.jpg (215KB, 1200x644px) Image search: [Google]
minotorn from paper.jpg
215KB, 1200x644px
They seem like they'd be murder to have to print, cut out, fold, glue, and store, but I've seen different kinds of 3D miniatures and the idea really intrigues me. They also have that sort of low-poly "retro graphics" thing going on like older computer games, which I really wish more indie vidya would embrace.
>>
File: orc warband.jpg (102KB, 1000x620px) Image search: [Google]
orc warband.jpg
102KB, 1000x620px
>>50061866

I like 3D paper miniatures as well... but you run in to the same problems a DM might have with traditional miniatures, namely time invested. Plus, I imagine there is much less variety to choose from

I agree with the low-poly appeal, though. Very PS1 graphics
>>
>>50060097
Just go full theatre of mind.

You've seriously never run anything you didn't have the minis for? Do you have a huge collections or are your players always fighting the same monsters?
>>
>>50062884
>OP: hey guys, how do i paper miniatures?
>Anon: don't
shitposting at its finest.
>>
File: KoNLkzX.jpg (885KB, 4250x2390px) Image search: [Google]
KoNLkzX.jpg
885KB, 4250x2390px
>>50062884

No, most of my games have wound up using proxies (usually spare dice) to stand in for albino one-legged dwarves and the like. And if I'm doing a stand in with dice it cheapens the feel

As to theater of the mind... I've played in a couple games which tried it and they we're a mess. Simple layouts are necessary to convey location and distance accurately and quickly, descriptor based combat usually leads to lots of handwaving or oversimplified combat in my experience

To clarify, I respect theater of mind styles of play but I've yet to see it handle complicated combat situations well
>>
>>50062884
Many games require specific distances and placement to function properly. In this case you can literally just print out more pieces to cutout each week. This is a way to have a completely diverse cast of minis.
>>
>>50060097
I use circular tokens made from cardboard and printed pictures.
I'd use standing ones, but it just bothers me that they're flat from the side. My players sit in a circle so it'll look bad regardless of the way I arrange it.
For PCs I use reaper bones, and I have some minis from the old (3e?) D&D board games and starter sets for common shit like goblins and skeletons.
>>
>>50066093
Oh, and something else I do - I don't paint miniatures with specific colour schemes, I paint them to look like statues to make it easier for players to "project" their character on to.
Same with dragons or other colour coded stuff - it's a lot harder for people to remember "this red dragon mini is actually a blue dragon" than "the mini is grey, it's whatever dragon the DM says".
>>
File: IG_4361_1.jpg (69KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
IG_4361_1.jpg
69KB, 354x500px
>>50066110
This is the mini that gave me the idea, and gives a good idea of the look I go for
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.