[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get the motivation to start running campaigns again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: Napoleon Bonaparte.jpg (145KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon Bonaparte.jpg
145KB, 800x1200px
How do I get the motivation to start running campaigns again? I'm damn sure there are many other people asking themselves this question.

>Start DMing 3.5 in freshmen year of high school
>Would've been nice to play first instead of DMing immediately but no one in my group of friends was willing to DM
>DM for two years and quit, never got to play during that time
>Finally get to play for a few months during senior year and the following summer
>Had the time of my fucking life, DM was good at what she did
>Freshmen year of college, play a few sessions of a lolrandom All Flesh Must Be Eaten campaign and drop out (of the campaign)
>Start GMing again in sophomore year at a different college
>Run Scion, Pathfinder, Cthulhutech, Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader for three years
>Options for playing in other peoples' campaigns are as follows
>GM 1 runs only Pokemon RPG, this isn't a game I'm interested in playing at all
>GM 2 is running WoD with ALL of the splats and doesn't know how to run her own campaign as a result
>GM 3 runs Pathfinder and 3.5 and allows all 3rd party material, no one has ever felt challenged in one of his campaigns, combat takes an eternity, and he once had a two hour argument with a pair of players over whether one of their characters died because he's too much of a pussy to put his foot down
>GM 4 runs Rifts and is obnoxiously loud, everything takes forever because he gets sidetracked very easily
>GM 5 is a genuinely stupid person and many, many problems arose from that
>GM 6 runs Pathfinder campaigns where each combat takes several eternities to get through, many of his NPCs are the same people, and there's no plot because of how slowly the entire game moves
>Still played in GM 3 and GM 6's campaigns a few times because I'm so starved for RPG
>Burned out hard and I haven't GM'd or played in anything for three years because of this shit
>>
If it's anything like me, you don't recover from it and swear to never DM again.
>>
File: whatastupidworld.jpg (46KB, 148x189px) Image search: [Google]
whatastupidworld.jpg
46KB, 148x189px
>>50057146
>Still played in GM 3 and GM 6's campaigns a few times because I'm so starved for RPG
This implies you only went to DM 1, 2, 4 and 5 for one session? If this is correct, maybe you should give your DMs some more time. Maybe even give some subtle tips if they're not good.

As for running campaigns, I get more excited the more I work on it, so just push yourself to start, maybe you'll enjoy it once you get going. Sounds like you need to not give up so fast. Hang in there, anon! There's a nice group for you out there.
>>
>>50057880
Never played in GM 1's game. As I said, I have absolutely no interest in playing a Pokemon tabletop RPG. Played in GM 2's game twice, GM 4's game twice, and GM 5's game once. GM 5's game was a fucking dumpster fire of a session, dude. I directly stated my problems with each campaign to the GM that ran it, aside from GMs 1 and 5. 1 because there was nothing wrong with his game, I just didn't want to play in it, and 5 because she is legitimately too stupid to ever improve. And I was generally aware of the events of these peoples' campaigns after I quit them. We all hung out in the same lounge area of the student union and the players that remained in those games told me about what was happening.

I've tried pushing myself to write, but I always just say "fuck it" because the task is too large and the payoff too small.
>>
File: 1461397540444.jpg (60KB, 800x695px) Image search: [Google]
1461397540444.jpg
60KB, 800x695px
>>50057146
>GM is sane and easy to get along with
>GM is competent and runs his game steadily
>GM is running a setting or system you're interested in

You're lucky if you can get two of those, and I've never managed to get all three in my 10+ years of gaming.
>>
>>50058916
Time to build your own groups out of non-gaming, sensible friends.

If you don't have those, time to make some.
>>
>>50058916
>when peoples GMs are not relatives with more experience and competance than you

I feel bad for ya guys.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.