[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to make silence speak

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Noel Sora no Woto.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Noel Sora no Woto.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
Can you play a character that is shy, introverted, or soft spoken and still keep yourself engrossed in the game and have your presence felt during roleplay?
How does one maintain such a character and stay involved, without breaking that trait (needlessly, a character arc where they grow more confident from success is fine of course)
What pitfalls separate the "Quiet but wise guardian" from the "Brooding and non-contributing loner"?
General input/experience appreciated.
>>
>>50054709
Play a mime.
>>
>>50054709
Yes, you can always narrate what your character does. Let your actions do the talking.
>>
>>50054709

Instead of talk, act?
>>
>>50054709
When I played a taciturn, ascetic Zen Archer in a PF campaign, I would often "speak" in stage directions:
"[character] peers quizzically at the carvings."
"[character] hunkers down near the floor and points out a trail of blood leading down the corridor."
"[character] begins a complicated yogic stretch, waiting placidly for the evil duke to finish ranting."
etc.

Worked fine.
>>
>>50054839
>>50054853
>>50054903

Not talking isn't the same as not doing anything, OP, as these guys just pointed out
>>
I find this very easy because I am shy and introverted. I just narrate what my character does just like you would in any normal game, but use less talking.
>>
File: quiet resolve.webm (655KB, 848x380px) Image search: [Google]
quiet resolve.webm
655KB, 848x380px
I played a paladin who rarely spoke, and basically communicated with gestures (some subtle, some dark souls-tier)

One of the most fun characters I played with. Party ended up regarding the guy as sort of a really quiet dad kind of figure
>>
>>50054709

Its easier in online text based games, like IRC, because you can just describe your actions without having to include dialog and not seem like you are detracting.

In person, you can still describe your actions. But if no one else really describes their actions at all you might stick out like a sore thumb ever worse than the people actually talking.
>>
I played a witch dude that mostly interacted by laughing creepily and doing weird shit. He didn't talk much, and that was part of the "charm". Mostly explaining his actions, like draping the severed limbs of his enemies across his shoulders and the like. The cape of hands never looked better.
>>
A good way to play a low charisma or social stat character. Instead of mouthing off and getting themselves in shit at every moment, they try to interact very little and simply because they know they slip up.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.