[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dice Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1336430599676.gif (314KB, 248x200px) Image search: [Google]
1336430599676.gif
314KB, 248x200px
I'm making a small game, and had a quick math question. My game has two methods of improving your roll:

>adding +1 to the result (advantage)
>having a 50% chance of adding +1 to the result (bonus dice)

Obviously, bonus dice are not as big a boon as advantage, right? But how many "50% chance of +1" do you need to be about equal to "100% chance of +1"?
>>
>>50044404
>"50% chance of +1" do you need to be about equal to "100% chance of +1"?
I'm no mathematician, but two 50's are 100
>>
>>50044404
If you want a small dice game, you shouldn't be speaking in terms of percentages at all.

Make success a 50/50 and either reroll the result on failures or add up to +2 to a roll. Or both. If they can do a 5+ on either roll A or roll B, it's close enough to a sure thing it's practically a gimme but will never be a gimme.
>>
>>50044448
This isn't a small dice game, but a mechanic I've been contemplating adding to my full RPG. Right now there is only advantage, but maybe bonus dice will be more interesting?

The reason I ask is because certain abilities grant either advantage (flat +1) or bonus dice (50% chance of +1), and in order to cost these abilities I need to find an equilibrium between the two.

If you have them, bonus dice are rolled alongside your regular dice. Each bonus die that rolls 4+ adds +1 to your total (the game uses only d6).

Therefore, I'm thinking the risk of two bonus dice is about equal to a safe +1; in this scenario you have an 75% chance of a +1 and a 25% chance of +2. You could get a +2, but you're risking your +1.
>>
>>50044404
Infinite 50%s could never give a +1, theoretically.

One 50% is 50% hit, two 50%ers probably have a 75% to give a +1 (if either rolls +1), three probably does 87.5, 4 goes to 93.75, 5 goes to 96.88 (diminishing returns here), tested with rolling highest 1 of Nd2 on anydice.com

In a nutshell, 5 50%s are a +1 (96.88% chance is close enough to 100%) if your dice are up to d20 (d20 works in 5% increments, a +2 to hit is a +10% to hit).

As a fellow shitty homebrewer I'd advise against such ideas because it's not a small dice game idea.
You could get your players to gamble on it (instead of a +1 they get a 50% of +2 or 0).
This is either overpowered, letting them limit break depending on how your math works.

And also, it's an extra step to rolling a die and could bog the game down; if you're the gambling types that like risk assessment, go for it. Wouldn't recommend this for newbies.
>>
>>50044404
Two. Look up the statistical term "expected value".
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.