[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weapon Catagories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Hey /tg/
I'm adapting a system for my homebrew and was interested about what kinds of melee weapons function in the same ways.
I mean this from a "use" perspective, as in swinging a sword vs swinging an axe. What kinds of weapons are similar, and what kinds should for sure be in different categories?
If I could, I'd like 5 but I bet that's massively oversimplifying it.
>>
>>50043188
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgq1wiPKzzI

This should be helpful.
>>
>>50043188
That could be doable. Very roughly speaking, you can go with:
>Forceful weapons
These hurt the opponent by dealing massive trauma, even without breaking the armor. Maces and, to an extent, lances do this (when used on horseback).
>Piercing weapons
Designed to break through armor. War picks, war hammers, and spears can do this.
>Dueling weapons
Not great against armor, but useful in other situations. Swords and daggers are the obvious examples. The goal here is just to use enough force to break the skin and cause some damage.

But it's very rough.
>>
>>50045046
When using a hammer, would you swing it in the same way as a mace?
Also, what about a 1-handed sword compared to a 2-handed?
>>
>>50043188
I like the Mount & Blade method which divides things by weapon categories and damage types.
The classes are one handed, two handed, polearm, bow, crossbow, and thrown.
Damage types are more inportant. Like >>50045046 says there are three, but I prefer a slightly different lineup of blunt, piercing, and cutting. I threw together a system once that had three armor values on every set of armor and the ability to wear under and over armor at once. It made dichotomies like "do I wear plate and cotton so that I can defend against blunt as well as cutting with a little piercing or do I go for plate and chain so that cutting does no damage but blunt can kill me easily?"
>>
I've thought about this before, here's what I've come up with (I'm a bit of an autism so be warned).

Melee Weapons are divided into categories based on their balance point. All weapons use the same die for damage, probably a d8 for D&D.

>Dextrous Weapons
The balance is located close to the wielders hands, such as a sword or saber.

>Balanced Weapons
The balance point is close to the weapons centerpoint such as a spear or a staff.

>Unbalanced Weapons
Balance point is located towards the weapons head, away from the wielder, like an axe or mace.

Weapons gain bonus damage based on how heavy the weapon is and its catagory, ie, Dex weapons gain +1 per 1lb (0.5kg), while Unbal weapons gain +3 per 1lb.

Weapons gain bonus to hit based on overall length, rounded up to the nearest foot (0.3m). Dex weapons gain a +3 per foot, and Unbal weapons gain +1 per foot, etc...
>>
>>50047978
Using D&D AC rules, damage type then grants bonuses to hit based on the armour used by the opponent.

>Slashing +2 vs Unarmoured
>Piercing +2 vs Leather or Mail
>Crushing +2 vs Plate Armour

A weapon can be capable of multiple damage types based on GM ruling. A Dane Axe could be Slashing damage normally, or be turned around and used as a club, dealing Crushing damage. A Dagger might deal Slashing or Piercing damage, etc...

Weapons are also either Light, Medium, or Heavy. Light weapons can only be used in one hand, and have only a -2 penalty in your offhand. Medium weapons receive a -4 in your offhand, but can be twohanded, adding double your attribute modifiers to hit and damage (or negates penalties). Heavy weapons can only be twohanded, and always receive the x2 attribute bonus.

I know none of this is very simple, but like I said, I have the autisms.
>>
>>50047978
>>50048117
The system is a d6 system, but this shouldn't be too hard to translate.
All other skills are split into 5 categories; if those three, as well as unarmed were 4 of them, is there some other weapon 'style' that could work the same way?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.