[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Book settings that would make great RPG settings and why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: starfish.jpg (164KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
starfish.jpg
164KB, 1000x1500px
ITT: Book settings that would make great RPG settings and why

I'll start with the Rifter's trilogy by Peter Watts

>Widespread ecological destruction, the midwest is a giant dust storm ravaged wasteland thaat has barely any law or order

>Barely effective government and severe enviornmental pollution means a fractured and battered North America where crime and terrorism are common as dirt like in John brunner's The Sheep Look Up

>Bioengineering for corporate use is exceedingly common and widespread (IE, Spies have Loyalty viruses gengeneered into them so that they cannot feel guilt about the things they have to do and can not even think about not cowtowing to the interests of their employees or Underwater Geothermal plant mechanics who are cybernetically modified into being essentially merepeople) but unlike other cyberpunk settings nothing is really all that far "out there" in terms of what can be done

>Cops are there just to control the increasingly angry underclass and help the rich continue to live in what is essentially an entire separate world from the poor

>Ken Lubin. Enough said

>[Spoiler]Behemoth being spread thows the world into total chaos and creates a very destablized "post apocalypse meets hard sf setting"[/spoiler]

There isn't enough RPG settings that have a cool '70s esque "Ecological dystopia" feel
>>
Peter Watts plays video games, but does he play traditional games?
http://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=6953

He seems to be at least passingly familiar with the roleplaying scene as he name-drops Eclipse Phase, though he refers to it as a "paper-based-open-source-roleplaying game".
>>
File: 51QVfC-92iL.jpg (40KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
51QVfC-92iL.jpg
40KB, 332x500px
Kay Kenyon's The Entire and the Rose series could be fun. Giant physical starfish shaped universe with tons of races and such. Could be fun.
>>
>>50016066
There are sequels to Starfish? Why has nobody told me this?
>>
>>50019386
Maelstrom was meh, didn't bother with the third. Watts went full dawkens fedora tipping plus vampires with blindsight too, fucking waste.
>>
>>50019456
Wasn't the sequel about god being real?
I liked blindsight.
>>
>>50019618
nah, just weird undersea super viruses and corporate espionage

Blindsight had some really cool, heart wrenching stuff about disjointed and mangled people in stressful medium hard-scifi situations, that for reasons, had vampires crammed in there.
>>
Revelation Space.
>>
>>50019456
>didn't bother with the third
Most of the world has a cure, sadist problem solver guy using his freedom has turned a chunk of america into his own little rape and torture dungeon, day gets saved eventually, the end.

>>50019755
>that for reasons, had vampires crammed in there
To show that if vamps didn't get fucked originally then our world would have been much closer to the alien "intelligence" in it's path
>>
>you will never be a rifter living in a place like channer vent

I really think most of us could make it down there.
>>
>>50019755
>Blindsight had some really cool, heart wrenching stuff about disjointed and mangled people in stressful medium hard-scifi situations, that for reasons, had vampires crammed in there.
You're focusing on the word and the meaning you know rather than what it described in the book.

Vampires are the exact same kind of fuck up mangled people as the others. Siri included.
>>
>>50019456
I swear I'm the only one who likes Maelstrom the best.
>>
>>50019790
A Revelation Space game would be great, but it would be ease to fuck up; STL travel doesn't naturally lend itself to interstellar adventure. More nihilistic setting than 40K too, if you go by some of the later stories, so that could turn off players in the know.

I'd love to see a proper Dune RPG. Yes, we have plenty of great settings that owe much to Herbert, but the franchise has never gotten a GOOD TTRPG adaptation; the best is some mediocre d20 fanbook.
>>
File: rifters.jpg (30KB, 511x650px) Image search: [Google]
rifters.jpg
30KB, 511x650px
>>50025504
I liked the last books in the trilogy but they got stupid near the end. Shooting dogs with a grenade launcher and climbing the evil villain's doom fortress so he could gloat at them in his office.

>>50019456
Absolute fucking pleb detected. Blindsight is top tier.

>>50016066
Nice dubs. Lennie Clarke did nothing wrong.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.