[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New map making method part 3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 4chan 11 (Custom).jpg (979KB, 3911x4000px) Image search: [Google]
4chan 11 (Custom).jpg
979KB, 3911x4000px
>>49983990
Old thread got archived but I'm still here and I'm still working on your maps.

I'm using a name to help keep communications clear.

I'm working on a new way of creating elevation maps and I need some practice.

I'm using photoshop. The elevations are made using a gradient map that I'm constantly tweaking. This map took me about an hour to create.

If any of you are interested, sketch me your continents and mountain ranges and stuff and I'll put together a quick map in the same style.

Please note: these are elevation maps, they don't include biomes or climates or anything like that. I'm working on that method now but I'm not happy with the speed of the results yet.

>>49994673
Here is this one
http://imgur.com/mn45H6t
>>
Godspeed OP
>>
First time in one of these map making threads. I really like that map that you posted, OP. Do you have/know of some sort of guide or video on how you make terrain like that in Photoshop? I'm interested in giving that a shot.
>>
>>50015820
In first thread OP said it was too hard to explain. In second thread OP said he was working on a tutorial video. Didn't see OP give a delivery date.
>>
>trying to find map making software for weeks because I'm finally taking DMing seriously after ten years of being a strict player
>it's all paid or in beta
>the free stuff sucks
>finally pirate CC3
>immediately turned off by the complexity

Fuck this is too hard
>>
File: Athena.png (2MB, 1580x840px) Image search: [Google]
Athena.png
2MB, 1580x840px
>>50015240
some dumb blobs i guess
>>
>>50015820
I'm gonna be putting a video guide together soon.

Here's the super short of it:

Creating the landmass
- new layer > fill with black (shift f5) this is the landmass layer
- new adjustment layer for Levels above the landmass layer
- Set the levels on the adjustment layer to something like 69 black & 72 white (this is what works best for me, play around with it to figure out what works best for you)
- Use grunge brushes to fill in the landmass layer with white

Adding elevation
- once you're happy with the landmass, merge the landmass and adjustment layer
- Create a new layer > fill with 50% grey (shift f5) this is the elevation layer
- use the magic wand tool to select the white from the landmass layer (uncheck continguous, Tolerance:40)
- create clipping mask on the elevation layer
- create a new gradient map adjustment layer above the elevation layer
- alt-click between the elevation layer and the adjustments layer to force the adjustments layer into clipping mask mode (little downward pointing arrow will apepar to the left of the adjustment layer)
- Use grunge brushes to paint black and/or white into the elevation layer, this will create the elevation
- Work with the gradient map in the adjustment layer (greens to tans to browns) This is what took me the longest to get right.

Tying it all together
- Once your happy with the result, hide the landmass layer, add a layer below everything and fill it with a muted blue. This is your ocean layer.
- add a layer above the ocean layer, set the blending mode to soft light and paint in shoals and ocean depths with black and white brushes.

Here is the photoshop file for the latest map I finished:
https://www.mediafire.com/?vfwyu36odk10ysc

I'd love to see what you come up with! Hopefully you can interpret the file, figure out this shitty tutorial to make something good. I'll try to put together a video some time this week.
>>
File: 4chan 12 (Custom).jpg (1MB, 4000x2378px) Image search: [Google]
4chan 12 (Custom).jpg
1MB, 4000x2378px
>>49994816
Here is the pangea-like
http://imgur.com/ni3iBQn
>>
>>50015240
Sweet! Thanks man
>>
this is all really useful, thanks.
>>
>>50016136
Photoshop.
>>
How the fuck do rivers work?

Also what do you use(program or whatever) to make the maps?
>>
File: Map.jpg (85KB, 530x664px) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
85KB, 530x664px
Can you do something with this? It would be much appreciated
feel free to add more mountains lines
>>
File: Petryusbase2.jpg (880KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Petryusbase2.jpg
880KB, 2000x2000px
Bumpin.
>>
>>50016136
Get GIMP or Photoshop then go here https://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

This is the true, righteous path.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.