[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG: Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 32

File: le turn 3 man.jpg (42KB, 251x356px) Image search: [Google]
le turn 3 man.jpg
42KB, 251x356px
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
($$$ COMPETITIVE ONLY $$$)

Decklists:
>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Custom cards are considered off-topic and trolls, which violate Global Rule 3. Report and hide these posts.

ALSO report and hide price complaining, esper draw-go, and "burn is a combo deck" posters.

Making new thread because the other one lacks info and identifiability.
>>
>>50012844
What did everyone play at fnm?

How did you do?
>>
File: 24314.jpg (414KB, 1000x1377px) Image search: [Google]
24314.jpg
414KB, 1000x1377px
>>50012844
>esper draw-go,
Usually I'm understanding of a meme but can someone explain this? I've tried the deck, it seems fun but definitely a bad meta call right now.
I'm not trying to be a troll I'm genuinely curious
>>
>>50012889
Tuning up turbofog. It's fucking fun. I love playing against decks like Jund or infect because all my cards are redundant to Jund so their hand disruption doesn't matter. A guy once ulted Liliana on me 5 times in one game and I just kept being a fog machine. Infect is great because I just fog until I find removal or a wrath and more fogs
>>
Playing 4 color Kiki-toolbox
Going to play it at the dallas GP.
It's fun midrange. Aggro matchups are bad but not unbeatable.
>>
>>50012924

just a bit of bant mate. I like the deck too but it's just barely above rev for 15 on the competitive scale. Control decks just aren't fast enough to deal with cheap, aggressive threats a la infect and burn, and when you do commit lots of maindeck slots to stopping fast creatures, you get btfo by tron. It's too bad because I love control decks and the best control deck right now is probably either grixis delver, which feels more like tempo, and jeskai, which is slightly less tempo-y but still fairly tempo.
>>
>>50012889
Dredge, no bridges or garg. Drew for first, 3-0-1. Was okay, think the grave hate will be a bit much going forward. Scooze is a pain. Maybe trying Nahiri control next week
>>
File: download (1).jpg (10KB, 178x248px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
10KB, 178x248px
>>50014284
Ooooh that makes sense. Yeah I'd love to play a good hard control list but they just aren't viable. Though hard draw go control has never been a thing in modern, the closest we got was a draw go jeskai but it ran a ton of bolts and burn anyways. It's not even a lack of counterspells, there's a lot control needs that it just doesn't have.

That said, even in legacy theresonly one real draw go deck, miracles, so it says something about how difficult it into make such an archetype without it being broken or op
>>
>>50012889
Brought tron. Went 1-2. So same old. We wuz kangz, et cetera et cetera
>>
For a if will should be modern legal. This would allow wizards to unban a bunch of other cards, specifically combo pieces, and help diversify theetagame. Opinions?

Also red a shit
>>
>>50015373
Force of will* damn fat finger
>>
>>50015373

Immediate rebuttal I've heard is that FoW makes control viable but makes infect absurd. I would probably agree.
>>
>>50012889
I always bounce between Jund/Junk depending on how I'm feeling, sometimes if I'm feeling degenerate I'll play my BG 8rack/pox deck. If you have a meta full of affinity, infect or boggles I highly recommend playing anything with smallpox. It's hilarious.
>>
>>50015456
fair point, but can infect really deal with the card disadvantage?
>>
>>50012889
Kiki chord, 2-1 smoking burn and affinity but getting run over by elves.
>>
>>50015373
counterspell and daze would be better
will allow to unban Summer bloom
>>
>>50015577
Not if Bloom is on the play.
>>
>>50015577
The hands for t1 win with bloom are just christmaslands, happened like 1 each 100000
>>
>>50015577
daze would also work, but i don't counterpell would really do much to help control decks. having to leave UU open means you cant make early plays, and really hinders you for the majority of the game. I'm just thinkg about fre counters, and with the lack of card draw in modern it would 'force' (lel) players to make sure they are countering true threats and not just 'no fun allowed' countering
>>
>>50015635
Was for >>50015619
>>
>>50015646
You don't need to play threats until you resolve your wrath on t4, and counterspell wil improve late game of the decks
>>
>>50015669
late game i'd play the scry cancel over counterspell
>>
>>50015635
>>50015650
But counterspell does nothing if Bloom plays out t2 (something like 25% of games) on the play.

Daze could work, but is the tempo lost from the land bounce really worth it? You'd have 1 land going into Blooms t3 and that could screw you over.
>>
>>50015481
Yes
>>50015373
Doesn't matter. Force isn't the card needed for modern. Modern is a separate beast from legacy, and doesn't need legacy's tools all the time. The fact is only miracles is really a draw-go deck viable in reasonable amounts in legacy. The other controls are usually a flavour of midrange or combo/control.
Twin made control viable in modern because it was a combo/control. Something like shardless agent and strix might make a shardless bug viable in modern and then you have midrange control.

The question is what can you give control that is worth playing it and counterspells over creatures and wincons. There's very very few cards that do that. Some cards are capable like Counter top combo. Force tries to stop immediate game ending combos, like infect shoal but it also is essentially another pact of negation for aggressive combo decks.

If you want control viable in the format you need a few things such as a form of slow grindy card advantage. I really don't think senpai's top deserves a ban. It slows a game down only as much as fetches and soul sisters. It's also not as strong without digging cards like Ponder and brainstorm. Alternatively twin coming off would be enough, it's immediate game ending power helped it out against transpiration and it could
D run lots of answers for infect yet died to gbx.

Then you need a source of card quality/advantage in the form of digging, legacy has brainstorm, I think modern would be okay with dig through time. It requires delve, it helps delver decks, and scapeshift decks and might boost storm. None of those decks are an issue to the format. It's
Equitable to ancient stirrings in Tron/Eldrazi really.

Finally you need a game ending wincon. Jace, the mindsculptor doesn't matter really, since you can play with Elspeth, sun's champion, grave titan, hell even the mono blue guy from rtr that saw standard play is a good game closer.
>>
>>50015792
For that you could just cast Spell Snare or spell pierce for the summer bloom
>>
>>50015909
That's my point. I don't think Force or Daze really DO anything in Modern. There's no fast mana (Vintage) so everyone starts on a virtual turn 3+ and can take a slight tempo loss. There's no t1/t2 combo deck that needs to be stopped.

Everything in Modern is (relatively) game and fair.

Personally, I don't know what Control decks need to be viable in Modern. Probably better card advantage and selection. Or some kind of incremental value train like Top (but not Top . That has a whole different set of problems.)
>>
File: divide.jpg (1MB, 1800x1157px) Image search: [Google]
divide.jpg
1MB, 1800x1157px
>>50012889
Junk boys, 3-1 only lost to ad-naus. Flayer is just too good, was also running a spicy gideon (aoz) and a green-hulk. Both over performed for reasons unknown.
>>
>>50012933
That sounds hilarious. I loved playing turbofog in Innistrad - RTR standard. Do you have a list?
>>
>>50016285
Infect and zooicide are t2-3 kills
>>
>>50015577
I would love for them to reprint Daze
>>
>>50016773
And we already have the tools to stop those decks. If we didn't, they would have 50% of the metagame.

For whatever reason, Control lacks tools. Well, I shouldn't say that. I should say that for whatever reason, when you take those control tools and mash them together, it just doesn't work well in the format.
>>
>>50012844
Shit format detected.
>>
>>50016285
The problem with top is that the CMC is modern are much more wider than in legacy
>>
>>50014619
U
instant
you must reveal or control an island to play this spell
Scry 5
exile the top card of your library face down

I saved blue in modern you dont have thank me, just murder me in my sleep Maro-chan.
>>
>>50012844
>"burn is a combo deck"
who the fuck said this
>>
File: 1476309191153.jpg (118KB, 427x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1476309191153.jpg
118KB, 427x1023px
>>50016920
What does Sensei's Divining Top have to do with cmc?
>>
>>50016957
Countertop
>>
>>50015373
Swords/Innocent Blood would do a lot more work.
Bringing in Daze would be ok but Infect would have to take a hit for that though which might bother some people
>>
>>50016953
Patrick Chapin
>>
>>50017014
Really? What was his logic?
>>
desu you haven't played modern until you've dunked on dumb aggro turn 2 with grishoalbrand
>>
>>50016953
See, Burn is one of those really strange decks that doesn't necessarily fit 100% into any archetype. It can play Aggro (creature heavy hands), Midrange (value like Eidolon or Lavamancer), Combo (with spell heavy hands), Control (to a limited extent).

This is why I love it.
>>
>>50017084
I see what you're doing, and fuck off
>>
>>50017094
What I'm doing? Being correct? I don't understand.
>>
Anons, newfag to magic here. My friend keeps raping me with his puresteel paladin and artifacts + flying shit and I need some advice. What's a good counter for that fuck? I only have a shitty red goblin deck but I'm willing to try anything.
>>
>>50017122
anger of the gods
also go to the casual thread
>>
>>50017109
You forgot to say it can play under a bloodmoon, and people really dont understand how much of a control color red is.
>>
>>50017034
The combo is 7 three-damage spells
>>
>>50017122
Stony silence, Eidolon of rhetoric, shatterstorm
>>
>>50016953
It doesn't matter who said it; it's the truth
>>
>>50012889
Blood Moon Jund, I went 3-1 and sided out Blood Moon in three out of the four matches. The one matchup where I didn't side it out was Abzan, which I lost anyway.
>>
>>50017122

Turn your shitty goblin deck into an 8whack. It's (sometimes) tier 3 but it should be enough to crubstomp his shitty casual deck.
>>
>>50017382
>8whack
But muh sparksmith...
>>
>>50012889
3-1 with valakut. Got 2nd. Lost in final game because i'm an idiot and cracked 3 fetches at the same time. Walked into a shadow of doubt, and lost the game from there. Opened an expedition in my prize packs though :)
>>
>>50017622

>sparksmith

Not modern legal. If you want to play legacy version get vials, ringleaders and lackeys. And in case of legacy goblins can be considered as a passable deck.
>>
>>50012889
Couple weeks ago, I tried Bloomless Titan, losing the last round to horrid hands/draws.

Last night I wasn't feeling well. Was going to try Ad Nauseum, Dredge, or Jeskai Aggro.

>I only have a shitty red goblin deck but I'm willing to try anything.
Try something tier 1.
>>
>>50016622
Just got to dredge it up but I'll post the list in a few
It's a lot of fun, I think blessed alliance is going to go to 3 but I'm unsure what to drop for it as of yet.
Currently it's u/w
>>
>>50012889
RUG Delver again. Went 4-0 against tron, mardu midrange, jund and eldrazi dnt
>>
File: trump.jpg (77KB, 1240x926px) Image search: [Google]
trump.jpg
77KB, 1240x926px
So haven't played magic for the summer, but I've got 3 decks, suicide zoo, Kiki chord, and UB Tezzeret control. Which oneach should I bring to mtg, and can anybody bring me up to speed if there's any new relevant modern cards that came out, especially for Kiki chord which is ever changing?
>>
File: Faithless Looting.png (140KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Faithless Looting.png
140KB, 223x311px
>>50018739
>>50012844
>Decklists:
>>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

>Primers:
>>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
>>
>>50017757
Like you can't just crack all three at the same time. You were shortcutting, what happens if he has a response is you back up to when he casts it, probably the first fetch. You don't have to crack the next two. Did you call a judge?
>>
>>50019486
It sounds like he cracked a fetch, held priority, cracked a second, held priority, cracked a third, then passed priority to his opponent.
>>
>>50019548
he could easily argue the opposite, that he was just shortcutting. And he would be right.
>>
>>50019486
ackshually, when an object is placed on the stack or resolves, the active player is the first to receive priority. so he could declare activating all 3 fetches without giving the opponent a chance to respond inbetween and it's a legal play. ill-advised because of exactly what happened to him, but it's doable.
>>
>>50019598
The problem is whether or not he stated that it was a shortcut before performing the actions because the actions can still be done outside of the context of a shortcut.

>>50019631
You're slightly off. When an object is added to the stack, the player who did so receives priority again. When an object on the stack resolves, the active player receives priority.
>>
>>50012889
Went 3-0 with 4C Gifts.
When our meta is half various control decks, 1-2 infect, 1-2 delver and only 1 affinity, this meme deck is in the perfect place.
>>
>>50016952
That card sound quite bad
>>
>>50016952
That's worse than ancient stirring.
>>
>>50016285
>Personally, I don't know what Control decks need to be viable in Modern.
CA-wise, TT/Charm/Rev is a pretty good suite. Something like Accumulated Knowledge or FoF would be nice, even just to enable UW with no splash, but it's not really necessary.

Finishers aren't the problem, either. Grave Titan, Elspeth, Baneslayer, Aetherling, Gideon, Secure the Wastes, WSZ, Colonnade, the list goes on and on. They have pros and cons but they all do the job.

The real problem is that the archetype lacks generic answers that can compete with the format's threats, and a bit of card selection to make up for the fact that all your hard removal is dead in combo MUs. Path is efficient, Supreme Verdict is powerful, and Cryptic is versatile, but there's nothing to hold those cards together.

That's why I think control needs Counterspell and Preordain. Vindicate and Innocent Blood might be nice, too.
>>
>>50012889
3-1 with 8whack, the loss was in final round to rg tron. Didn't help that a lot of the more important cards were in Chinese. Forgot wurmcoil had lifelink until after I attacked into it for what I thought was lethal.
>>
>>50016285
I think Control decks are fine in Modern. They can be built around UR and be WUR or URB. You just pick a win condition, pack some removal and countermagic, and kill them with manlands along with your win condition. Control's tools are excellent; great countermagic, great removal, and manlands to boot. Like I said, you can play anything to win. You can use Grave Titan, Nahiri, Sun Titan, Resto, really anything you want.

Sure, they're Tier 2, but I think that's only because nobody wants to play them because they're not interesting. They play almost exactly like any Control deck you would find in Standard.

But if we really wanted to make Control a contender, I mean something that makes it legitimately scary. I think all you'd have to do is print Wildfire at 3RR. It would be too strong at 4 because you can ramp into it with a signet. 6 is too high.

But that's never going to happen. Because players are whiny children and Wizards uses that as an excuse to not reprint anything.
>>
>>50023586
even if it was at 4 wildfire wouldn't help control as we currently know it. There might be wildfire decks built around ramping into it, but control as an archetype wouldn't be helped at all.
>>
>>50023586
>Sure, they're Tier 2, but I think that's only because nobody wants to play them because they're not interesting. They play almost exactly like any Control deck you would find in Standard.
Are you high?
>>
>>50023586
>Because players are whiny children and Wizards uses that as an excuse to not reprint anything.
If Wizards reprinted cards then all my financial investments in MTG would be worthless. I can't take another hit like that after I lost so much money investing in Beenie Babies.
>>
>>50023586
You are full of shit. Control has fatal flaw of counter magic being so bad, it's unplayable. There is so many threats in modern that cost under 1 mana that using 2mana to counterspell them isn't even 1:1 exchange. Using Path to exile will push opponent further in tempo early game and being nonbo with mana leak naturally curving out late game where the deck wants to be is full of fuck. Remand isn't playable when you have to flambam it onto lighting bolt to not die. Spell pierce and snare are both so bad being so narrow.

Narset at least gave a window for UWR decks to make fast kill in that narrow window that deck gets around turns 4-7, which is the ideal for it. The deck is just garbage, because you have to be Jesus to make all the correct top decks to not die to all linear decks the format currently has.
>>
>>50012844
>Playing affinity
>Every game comes down to them goldfishing a single card that shuts me down or me winning
>>
>>50024493
He has no idea what tier means. Anytime I see somebody misuse it on terms of power levels I stop reading because they have no idea what they are talking about
>>
>>50024768
>Playing any deck in modern
>Game comes down to who draws their sideboard first
>>
File: 1454717480449.jpg (31KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
1454717480449.jpg
31KB, 505x431px
>>50023586
>But if we really wanted to make Control a contender, I mean something that makes it legitimately scary. I think all you'd have to do is print Wildfire at 3RR. It would be too strong at 4 because you can ramp into it with a signet. 6 is too high.

>Push busted tempo card
>"Control will be viable!"
>>
>>50024797

>why not just make a deck of sideboards?
>>
>>50024833
What's the win con?
>>
>>50024841
Your opponent tilting the table.
>>
>>50023586
>great countermagic
>>
File: adpZeVB_700b.jpg (16KB, 610x610px) Image search: [Google]
adpZeVB_700b.jpg
16KB, 610x610px
>>50024867
That's so crazy it just night work
>>
File: 45645646.jpg (26KB, 464x159px) Image search: [Google]
45645646.jpg
26KB, 464x159px
>>50024900
modern has pretty decent counter magic for the power level of the format, it just had no good cantrips. Which is fine, not every format needs to be blue dominated.
>>
>>50024999
No, counters are shit in modern. They are so bad, Wizards has to ban combo decks instead if letting control decks police the format like they should. And of the three cards in that pic only 1 is a counterspell which gets significantly less powerful without the the most powerful cantrips in the game (which is also in your pic). You have no idea what your talking about, do you?
>>
>>50024999
When the best counter magic is remand and mana leak, you know your plan is fucked if you are aiming for late game. Don't act like they are good, because they are not. Also; FoW is terrible in modern. You already have an issue with CA and narrow counter measures, making the 2 for 1 deal even worse than you probably get with mana leak.

But agreed, the best blue would offer is the cantripping and when that aspect is banned.... There is virtually no reason to play blue. Hell, other colors do cantripping way better for their respected decks, compare faithless looting and ancient stirring to ponder. This format is so retarded.
>>
>>50025104
ponder is insane compared to faithless looting for cantripping, looting's power is discarding cards for dredging. Even brainstorm looks bad comparatively in that regard.
>>
>>50025078
I was posting for the cantrips, not the counters. That would be a silly comparison, FoW isn't legal in modern.
>>
>>50025138
*FoW type counters aren't legal in modern, free ones. The cantrips aren't legal either.
>>
>>50025129
>better for their respected decks

I know, that's why I wrote it like that. Don't forget reanimators either... Btw, brainstorm is probably still the king of the hill for the decks that want to play it. It's insane how versatile it is and it would push blue playable with the help of delver.
>>
>>50016622
Sorry, took me 5ever
Fogs:
4 dawn charm
2 riot control
3 ethereal haze
4 holy day

Creatures
2 snapcaster
4 wall of omens

Removal
4 path
2 supreme Verdict

Multi tool
1 blessed alliance
2 cryptic command
1 Jace, architect of thought

Mines
4 howling mine
4 dictate of kruphix

Win con
Sphinx's tutelage

Lands
1 Grier reach sanitarium
3 ghost quarter
3 islands
2 plains
3 hallowed fountain
4 flooded strand
3 temple of enlightenment
2 tranquil cove

Sideboard
2 dispel
2 runed halo
3 nyxfleece ram
2 Kor firewalker
1 sower of temptation
2 blessed alliance
2 celestial purge
>>
>Playing my first modern event in years today
>playing Enchantress

wish me luck, /tg/.
>>
>>50026003
you'll need a lot more than luck to help you
>>
>>50025978
I guess I should say. I'm looking for feedback for lands. I want to run a lot of various tech lands and potential sources for life gain.i figured if I up my wall count with wall of essence and run a miren, the moaning well.
>>
Remember when people thought Tron would die with Eye of Ugin banned?
>>
>>50026745
tron did die
>>
>>50026762
Thank fuck for that, shit is turbocancer
>>
>>50026762
No it didn't. Plenty of mouth breathers still run it. It's worse but it still works
>>
>>50023062

all those finishers don't really matter when you get blown the fuck out by tron anyways. controls problem is that it has two big deck archtypes that beat it: shitty tron decks and shitty linear aggro decks.
>>
>>50026762
No, tron was still alive after the ugin ban. All it lost was its inevitability engine. The format just got faster.
>>
>>50026003
>Enchantress
You're a man after my own heart
Godspeed
>>
>>50015226
Nobody at my LGS knows what a meta is. Every time I bring G/R tron I go 4-0.
>>
is mardu nahiri decent or just a worse version of jeskai nahiri?
>>
>>50030558
>Worse
Only if you're a pussy who is afraid to play Dark Confidant and Emrakul in the same deck
>>
>>50024833
>Why not just make a deck of sideboards?
Because they banned it.
>>
>>50030570
you can just play wall of omens instead
>>
File: E_Tutor.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
E_Tutor.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>50024833
You can do that in Legacy.
>>
>>50015808

sdt is really really really really REALLY boring to play against/with, people may literally spend 30 seconds EVERY single turn with it, not saying its broken in modern, just saying it should stay banned because its an "unfun" card.

Also, comparing SIX mana game closers to a 4 mana power house is pretty far fetched, even for a blue player.
>>
>>50030570
>running Bob with
>3-4x lotv
>4x lingering
>1-2 kalitas
>4x Nahiri
>emracool
Mardu Meme has so many +3 drops that there really is no point in running Bob, not to mention he can't chump for shit.

But feel free to post your list
>>
>lightning storm is somehow in his top 5 cards despite it being turn 2 and he hasn't scryed at all
lucky fucker
>>
File: 33.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>50026014
>>50029693

Enchantress player >>50026003 here. Things didn't go too bad! Went 2-1-1. Beat Merfolk and Doran, lost to Naya Burn, tied/went to time with Kiki Jiki/Restoration Angel.

Starfield of Nyx is a hard card for most decks to beat.
>>
>>50031831
>Enchantress w/ Starfield
post list faggot
>>
>>50031869

Okay. I'm going to be doing some more work to it though, so don't get mad if its pretty rough-sounding.

Deck
2 x Banishing Light
2 x Eidolon of Rhetoric
3 x Starfield of Nyx
1 x Aegis of the Gods
1 x Faith's Fetters
4 x Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 x Yavimaya Enchantress
4 x Kruphix's Insight
2 x Oblivion Ring
2 x Wrath of God
1 x Archetype of Endurance
4 x Eidolon of Blossoms
4 x Utopia Sprawl
4 x Font of Fertility
3 x Condemn
5 x Plains
17 x Forest

Sideboard
1 x Spreading Algae
3 x Seal of Primordium
1 x Sanctimony
4 x Stony Silence
4 x Nevermore
1 x Rest in Peace
1 x Faith's Fetters
>>
>>50031951
Looks alright, a few things though.

Why no Ghostly Prison?

How good is Kruphix's Insight? Would you rather play Commune with the Gods?

Have you considered Runed Halo or Leyline of Sanctity?
>>
>>50031951
Straight up, if not turns enchantments into creatures why bother run the shit creature-enchantments. It just males them live to bolts
>>50032139
I like this. Ghostly poison, sphere of safety, those pillow cards are good. It makes journey to exile awesome and you should Jam sigil of the throne and journey to nowhere. I don't know if green is the best splash. Blue gives more flexible removal and protection. Red gives you chain to the rocks and blood moon. Also your lands need work but that's a given.
>>
So as someone who has finished his bushwhacker list is there any reason to upgrade it into 8whack, or should I just continue finding and buying the lands I need for dredge?
>>
>>50032139

Ghostly Prison/Sphere of Safety is what I'm considering replacing the Condemns with. Originally I was worried I wouldn't have enough board removal, and I was worried Ghostly Prison wouldn't do anything against Goyfs. However, most of the decks I faced today favored swarm strategies (outside of Doran) so I think it's a good improvement.

Kruphix's Insight costs one more mana, but it grabs me three enchantments instead of one. This helps me reload my hand much better than a Commune with the Gods.

I have considered Runed Halo/Leyline of Sanctity, but I think I'll instead throw in more Aegis of the Gods as they can hit for combat damage while protecting my face.
>>
>>50032481
Just finish dredge
>>
>>50032362
>Blue gives more flexible removal and protection. Red gives you chain to the rocks and blood moon. Also your lands need work but that's a given.
Blue is pointless when all the best combo hate in modern is white anyway. Red would be better, but then you're not playing Enchantress, you're playing that shitty Nahiri Moon deck.

>>50032493
Aegis of the Gods dies to Bolt and Valakut triggers, and can't protect you from combat damage. It's much weaker than Halo.
>>
>>50032531

I'm relatively fine if players start wasting bolts on creatures because in the long game it doesn't matter due to my ability to recur every turn. I mean, I had my Ghostly Prisons/Banishing Lights hit by lightning bolts probably 8 times while Nyx was out, and I would just bring them back the next turn and draw another card off them and banish whatever's a threat. You're generating a ton of advantage via Nyx and Blossoms that the major issue for the deck is pushing through enough damage when the board is clear, so I tend to prefer Aegis. Still, I certainly understand if someone wants to run Leylines.
>>
>>50032613

Sorry, not Ghostly Prisons, I mean Oblivion Rings.
>>
>>50032531
Blue gives you access to detention sphere, spreading seas, monastery siege, copy Enchantment
Also blue gives access to good walkers for the deck. Jace, architect of thought will be good here, reducing the power of any creature that actually makes it through. Blue also gives dispel/spell snare which is needed against burn
>>
>>50032493
Toss in Gideon jura. He fucks them up because any extra mana they have to spend to make a creature attack through taxes
>>
>>50032772

Monastery Siege honestly makes me really want to splash blue. I could definitely make use of the hand filtering effect or the protection effect. Copy Enchantment would be a neat trick too.
>>
>>50032864
Also storage matrix. A sphinxs Rev, or at least some form of lifefain helps a lot
>>
>>50032823
Ghostly Prison doesn't make them pay mana if they attack your planeswalkers, you want Norn's Annex for that.
>>
>>50033161
Whoops my bad. Still he buys a lot of turns and that helps a lot
>>
>>50032864
Dont forget a sanctuary. Card helps so much against jund. It gets insane if you have a token generator
>>
File: IMG_2686.jpg (48KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2686.jpg
48KB, 480x360px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bw-eldrazi-hatebears-1/

This is what I'll be playing at GP Dallas. Got my two byes as always so I'm ready to rock n roll. While it's not the best deck in Modern, if you haven't played against it a ton I can definitely catch you. Hoping to win it big with the ol' curve ball.
>>
>>50033747
Why no Mindcensor? I don't play the archetype that much but it seems like it would do a ton of work
>>
>>50033747
The only suggestion I have is to consider Wingmare in place of the sideboard Thalia (unless that's accidentally newThalia in the sb)

For the matchups where you bring in 3 Thalia you might draw multiples, whereas Wingmare would be a boon in that situation.
>>
>>50033747
Also what are your thoughts on Thraben Inspector?
I both love and hate Wall of Omens in the list, combos great with Vial and Displacer, but at the same time is a wall in a beatdown deck. Thraben costs 2 more mana per displace-draw, but doesn't have defender.
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
30KB, 223x310px
Bravo lads. Post quality is rather high this general.
>>
File: mops brow.jpg (26KB, 630x358px) Image search: [Google]
mops brow.jpg
26KB, 630x358px
>tfw need 4th shoal to splice a breach since i can't vengeance through cage
>tfw tapped out, RR in pool, 4 cards left in deck, where's that shoal
>did i board out the 4th copy for some idiot reason?
>burn sole manamorphose since don't need B anyways. nothing
>looting, 1 in pool, nothing...burn last ssg and rit to anger opponent's board, pass, discarding down to wurm, breach, emmy, grizzy, fetchland, scryland
>opp at 10 life plays elf, passes, panic when i notice none of the lands in my hand can produce mana next turn and i only have 4 lands in play
>tfw draw last card in deck. nourishing shoal.
>tfw remember splice exists, tap out to splice breach onto shoal and annihilate him

desu i feel like a child behind the wheel of a racecar with this deck
>>
>>50032481
8whack is not an upgrade from bushwhacker zoo. One is a shitty meme deck that people only play because of Saffronolive, and the other is a real tier 2 deck.
>>
>>50035871
First of all SaffronOlive is the budget king.
He can compete with piles of meta beating garbage any day of the week.
He could probably top 8 multiple GPs with a $400 modern brew.

Wall of Omens is vastly superior to Thraben Inspector especially with blink effects.

>>50033747
Pretty solid hate bears deck. I think the GW version has a better set of mana dorks and disruption (just personal opinion).

>>50012924
4 CMC sorcery better impact the game or you are a fool for playing it.
>>
>>50035098
My friend plays shoal, The deck looks like a nightmare to play, I couldn't play anything that loses to it'self like shoal does
>>
>>50035871
honestly curious, what do you think the deck's weakness(es?) is/are
>>
>>50035931
>SaffronOlive
I think you're overstating his skills. They're impressive yes, but I believe that the serious players play an obscene amount of Magic and they will root out anything that's good enough to stand on its own.

If SaffronOlive found real buried treasure, it would be making some headway somewhere and it would suddenly become unaffordable.

And I think it's especially true of a format like Modern where the card quality necessary to be playable is very high. There is certainly a number of borderline excellent cards out there and some outright excellent cards that see no play (basically all the potential Jund 4-drops). People have good reason to be dismissive of certain decks and cards because there are simply some decks that play similarly that are better.
>>
>>50035931
>First of all SaffronOlive is the budget king.
ok
>He can compete with piles of meta beating garbage any day of the week.
ok
>He could probably top 8 multiple GPs with a $400 modern brew.
lolwut
This is not the same as the previous statements, not even close.
Even the best pros can't consistently top 8 GPs with their finely tuned T1 decks.
>>
>>50035931
But Saffron consistently misplays and keeps referring to search for tomorrow and search for tomorrows
>>
>>50035978
i wouldn't say nightmare, but it definitely has some high highs and low lows
i accept the deck will flop sometimes because in exchange i get to do maybe the most broken things in modern
>>
File: 1427937673017.jpg (92KB, 290x386px) Image search: [Google]
1427937673017.jpg
92KB, 290x386px
"infect always wins on t2 or t3"
-people who have never played infect

At this point I can't tell if you guys are just forcing a meme ironically or legit is this uninformed.
>>
>>50037004
>Twin always wins on t4 if you tap out
>>
>>50031951

>tfw no Courser of Kruphix
>>
>>50036359

not that anon but:

-anger of the gods
-chalice on 1/2
-anything that can stall the game a few turns
>>
>>50024693
So you want to invest, but you also can't take a financial hit. You don't really sound like a smart man.
>>
Who's hype for the infect and dredge bans in January? :^)
>>
>>50012844
Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like white/black midrange could have serious game. It's got a ton of insane removal and live cards against the three biggest aggro decks. Collective brutality and blessed alliance are insane against both burn and infect. Theres plenty of good creatures in these colours too, so why hasnt it put up results? No goyf? No bolt? I feel like those two cards don't make it or break it
>>
>>50039171
>No goyf? No bolt? I feel like those two cards don't make it or break it
Well they do
>>
>>50037180

I'm thinking if I actually spend money on the manabase I'll put in Kruphix to replace Utopia Sprawls and Fonts of Fertility. Right now those two sets of cards are eating up design space because I needed shitty and cheap mana-fixing, but Courser of Kruphix would act as the psudo-ramp I need to get to 5 mana for Starfield of Nyx or 4 mana double green for Blossoms, and a smoother manabase with Windswept Heaths would mean I wouldn't have to include worry as much about color-fixing.

The only benefit is that in the late game they become "1 Green - draw a card" which definitely helped me churn through my deck quickly, helping me get to answers.
>>
>>50035098
that's fucking nutty madn
>>
I've been play testing with Unsubstantiate in Merfolk over Vapor Snag. The card has really impressed me. It isn't as efficient as Vapor Snag, but being a very live card against combo and control decks is fantastic.
>>
>>50039875
Sorry, which decks? I believe we only have aggros here
>>
>>50039897
I wish I could make some kind of joke, but it honestly feels that way sometimes.

Still, I do like having the option of returning a Become Immense to hand to play around Apostles Blessing/other hexproof cards.
>>
In the absence of twin, are Tron players the most smelly neckbeards in the format?
>>
File: mtg.jpg (312KB, 524x363px) Image search: [Google]
mtg.jpg
312KB, 524x363px
thoughts on this combo, /tg/?
>>
>>50040895

It singlehandedly beats Burn, Bushwhacker Zoo, and a few other decks that can't remove it game 1.
>>
>>50040895
the plat angel combo has had better results so far
seems like kind of a meme combo tbth
>>
>>50040895
either game winning or useless, very polarizing. Interesting mostly as a transformational sideboard in my opinion.
>>
>>50040933
Platinum Angel seems way worse. Decently easy to kill, and once it dies, you likely lose the game.

>>50040895
I actually like it as a sideboard plan for Jund/Valakut decks.
>>
>>50040884
>My deck isn't unfair. Practically winning the game on turn 3 isn't the same as actually winning :^)
>>
>>50030607
and my collection of birthing pods that I never got to sell is still in my binder :(
>>
>>50041218
A-at least it's p-playable in EDH! Right?
>>
>>50041119
Not my fault you don't run land hate.
>>
>>50041291
You're right. It's definitely my fault for not drawing one of my two copies of Ghost Quarter. And its definitely my fault that you were on the play, played a Karn or World breaker and exiled one of my lands before I could ever cast my Fulminator Mage. Definitely my fault there.
>>
>>50041318
>two copies of ghost quarter
>Relying on fulminator mage
Not running a single blue counterspell that bends my deck over and fucks it in the ass

Fuck jund baby. Go play kitchen table if you can't deal with a deck doing nothing for 3 full turns, and that's only at peak efficiency.
>>
>>50041395
>Cast Thoughtseize turn 1 or 2
>No Karn in Tron players hand
>Turn 3 Karn
EVERY SINGLE TIME
>>
>>50041291
>Land hate
You must be mistaken, this is the modem thread.
>>
>>50041526
That's cause ancient stirrings is fucking OP, and I wouldn't even be pissed if it got banned

>>50041588
Yeah youre right. It's not like there is a standard legal card that fucks tron or anything
>>
>>50041666
>Crumble to Dust
>Implying a four mana card makes the Tron matchup even close to winnable
>"Great! I'll have four mana next turn! Huh? Turn 3 Karn destroying my land? Wow what a fun and interactive game!"
>>
File: 1474312283738.png (9KB, 401x367px) Image search: [Google]
1474312283738.png
9KB, 401x367px
>post yfw conflagrate gets banned
>>
>>50041765

>conflagrate
>banned

you don't honestly think conflagrate is the problem with dredge do you?
>>
>>50041765
>conflagrate
>for any reason worth banning
autism/10
>>
>>50041765
>Implying Become Immense isn't the next card WotC needs to ban
>>
>>50041726
>Wait he minused karn into bolt range?

Seriously your bitching about a tier 2 deck that whenever it even gets played, infect and eldrazi just stomps on it.

>Wah! I can't thoughtseize and fuck over your game plan. Waahh! A deck that is super linear and has one plan beats me and my super-duper good Esper control home brew
>>
>>50041891

>Wait he minused Karn into bolt range?

Congrats, you bolted Karn and just got 2 for 1nd and didn't make any ground. He's slamming ugin next.
>>
>bitching about losing to the most vulnerable control deck in the format
>>
>>50041950
Vulnerable to fucking what?
>>
>>50041915
And then tron is dead because the deck is too slow for the current meta. Jesus dude, your fucking pathetic
>>
>>50041986
To losing. Tron is one of the weakest decks right now. Do you even fucking pay attention to the modern meta?
>>
>>50041986
ld, discard, pte etc.
>>
>>50040895
Just play Gifts for Iona. Kinda the same thing, less likely to screw up if you accidentally draw your 8+ mana brick, and being able to Elesh Norn gives the deck much needed flexibility that Emperion doesn't offer.

And you can play 4 copies of Gifts. Multiples of Madcap might hit nothing or become usless as you as you can only play Emperion or Platinum Angel (or Wurmcoil?) and you have no control over what you hit.
>>
>>50041993

>Thoughtseize
>Fulminator
>Bolt

We're talking about the jund matchup you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>50042027
>Tron
>Vulnerable to Path

>Tron
>the turn 3 Karn, turn 4 Ugin deck
>vulnerable to Path
>>
>>50042067
No we're not. You are the only one. And jund has always been fucked by tron. When did you start playing? Last month?
>>
>>50042084
>Not turn 3 Ugin, turn 4 world breaker

What fucktarded list have you been playing against?
>>
>>50042084
>wurmcoil engine
>ulamog
>world breaker
just stop talking please
>>
>>50042128
He's a jund baby. Just ignore him. Bet he was the one sperging about how it was difficult to play a couple of threads ago too
>>
>x4 pithing needle
>>
>All these mad poorfags itt projecting
>>
>>50042128
No, you're right, these undercosted, must-be-killed-immediately, game-ending threats with ETB abilities definitely make the deck vulnerable to Path.
>>
>>50042117

>Dude starts off with thoughtseize
>talks about fulminator mage
>has issues with the Tron matchup

I'd say odds are he's a jund player. Nobody who wins on turn 3 is complaining about Tron, no shit.
>>
>>50042168

>poor

literally nobody has talked about card prices in this thread, you just had to come in and say "poor" to shit it up didn't you?
>>
File: jund players.jpg (42KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
jund players.jpg
42KB, 600x600px
>>50042169
>KMEEEEEE IM IN BGR SO I CANT PLAY PATH KMEEE
>>
>>50042218

>literally didn't make it past grade 2

I'm so sorry. Good luck on your reading comprehension
>>
>>50042218
Everyone laugh at this idiot
>>
File: the_living_end_06.jpg (35KB, 400x269px) Image search: [Google]
the_living_end_06.jpg
35KB, 400x269px
Is Living Dead still a deck, or is it just one big pile of terrible cards these days?
>>
>>50042254
>>50042260
>actually samefagging
>>
>>50042218
>(you)
>>
>>50042269
The advent of dredge kind of makes it the worse graveyard deck that also gets hosed by the same kind of hate
>>
>>50042274

>thinking my internet is fast enough to get a post through on the exact second

jokes on you, or would you like me to screenshot your post on my phone to show you only one (you)?
>>
A kid in my LGS wants to start playing Modern and has around 100 euro, also has some pauper cards like bolts and rancor. I recommended him this list, what do you think about it?

Instant
4 x Vines of Vastwood
4 x Lightning Bolt
Enchantment
4 x Rancor
Creature
2 x Flinthoof Boar
2 x Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 x Kird Ape
4 x Experiment One
4 x Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
4 x Strangleroot Geist
4 x Burning-Tree Emissary
4 x Dryad Militant
Land
4 x Stomping Ground
4 x Wooded Foothills
12 x Forest
>>
>>50042655
With so few red cards burning tree seems kind of awkward. Also try aspect of the hydra
>>
>>50042690
True that, I'll remove the emissaries. I'll up to 4x rampager and add some other burn spell for reachmoval.
>>
>>50042269
it exists and it's fun but it's pretty shit
basically does what dredge does but slower and worse.
>>
who /mardumemelord/ here?
post you're lists:

2 Arid Mesa
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Blood Crypt
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Wall of Omens
1 Crackling Doom
1 Dreadbore
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Helix
4 Lingering Souls
2 Painful Truths
3 Path to Exile
2 Thoughtseize
4 Liliana of the Veil
4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
SB: 2 Anger of the Gods
SB: 1 Crumble to Dust
SB: 1 Damnation
SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
SB: 1 Slaughter Games
SB: 1 Stony Silence
SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
SB: 2 Timely Reinforcements
SB: 2 Molten Rain
>>
>>50042655

Just go with pure stompy list and make him get some fetchlands with the spare cash.
>>
>>50045055
>1 GQ
>1 Dreadbore
>2 Thoughtseize
>Worthless SB cards
how do you beat tron?
>>
>>50045085
I don't need to beat tron, the meta will do it for me. But if I ever meet tron it's a bye for them which I already accepted. That's just modern for you.
>>
>>50045149
No it isn't you scrub. Jesus christ >>50045149
>>
>>50045178
Except it is. I'm not pulling it out of my ass either, it's an agreed upon fact that in modern you've simply got to give some MU's up when building a deck.
>>
>>50045273
If you play shit decks I guess
>>
>>50045289
No deck doesn't have an unfavorable match up in this format, you're just retarded
>>
>>50045289
Name a single deck in modern that doesn't give up a MU.
>>
>>50045305
Difference between unfavourable and just giving up
>>
>>50045464
There are only so many sideboard slots, you can't prepare for everything
>>
>>50045491
Then prepare for your bad matchups

>>50045330
Affinity
>>
>>50045648

You can prepare for your bad matchups or you can prepare for what people are actually playing, which beat your bad matchups

Do you actually play magic?
>>
What do we think of skred red?
>>
>>50045648
>affinity
living end
>>
>>50045648
Affinity gets rekt by Jund
>>
>>50045922
Affinity fucks living end.
Second all to ravager and laugh.

>>50046037
Not really. Matchup is manageable
>>
>>50045648
Grixis Delver
UWR control
>>
>>50046082
>Manageable
That's not what I call "getting fucked by removal and efficient threats every time" but if you're just going to concoct magical Christmas land scenarios then there's no point arguing with you
>>
>>50045830

It's a control deck that doesn't have any of the tools a control deck typically needs outside of creature-killing. It can't go after the opponent's hand, it can't deal with enchantments, it can't counter the opponent's spells.
>>
>>50033747
Looks real similar to my deck. Hatebears is love
Gotta ask why only 2 Thalia's main? Unless you're expecting a ton of creature combo I'm almost never sad to draw her, even in multiples since she's certainly going to eat removal as soon as they draw it.
Also no Spellskites in the 75?
>>
>>50046082
>bolt
>AD
>kommand
>terminate
>backed up by discard and efficient beaters
>manageable for affinity
really makes you ponder
>>
>>50046303
But it just werks
>>
>>50045830
Blood moon beats plenty of decks as soon as it resolves. But you still lose pretty free to combo, and also a bunch of other decks too if you get your hand too disrupted/don't draw blood moon
It's fun but unless your meta has 0 combo players I wouldn't bother building it unless you already had the expensive parts on hand
>>
>>50046513
Well it's not my first deck but I'm just a fan of mono-color decks, I was thinking to build either skred or mono W prison I tested both on Xmage and I think both do fine though skred seems kinda low power but fun
>>
>>50045830
>>50046546
one of the most aesthetic decks
pretty neat against creature decks, really awkward elsewhere.
when i was getting into modern i considered making a white prison deck but now i have skred and i'm pretty glad. i just really love bolt and blood moon desu

>>50041526
i had two games in a row where i shredded the guy's hand and had him on a two turn clock and he rips ula to exile my dudes
>>
File: 171.jpg (77KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
171.jpg
77KB, 312x445px
A friend and I were having a debate over Yawgmoth's Will so I will pose it to you guys: if this card were reprinted or reintroduced to modern today, It would warp the ENTIRE format around it with no other deck able to keep up.
>>
>>50048476
Maybe
>>
File: 1461964014506.jpg (80KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
1461964014506.jpg
80KB, 500x669px
Thinking about picking up this deck on MTGO

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13022&d=276003&f=MO

talk me into/out of it
>>
File: 1452734588574.jpg (65KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1452734588574.jpg
65KB, 720x540px
Whats the biggest buying/selling mistake you have ever made?

I sold a playset of cavern of souls for $12.00 a pop back in 2014
>>
>>50049098
Sold a goblin guide for 5 dollars
Traded emrakul for 2 puresteel paladins
Sold bloodghasts for 3 dolalrs a pop
kept playing this game
>>
>>50049056
It is the GOAT of extended
>>
Newbie here.

>>50040895
Whats to stop the opponent from using cheap(er) removal to get rid of the golem and leave you with nothing to show for it except the lost life?

>>50041119
>Practically winning the game on turn 3
I thought turn 3 was late game in modern.
>>
>>50048476
It just makes storm 100% consistent. What's bad with that?
>>
Was price gouging always bad in modern? I don't remember such fast and heavy price changes
>>
anyone wanna talk about this RUG control deck I've been working on? shackles in modern is fucking sick.
>>
Abzan or Naya Eldritch Evolution?
>>
>>50050217
That's just RUG Blue Moon.

The real question is why aren't you playing Eternal Command?
>>
>>50047170
A good skred deck can beat combo. Gravehate is abundant, and artifacts can cover most bases (chalice for storm, torpor orb and pithing needle, dampening matrix, dragon's claw)
moon can handle tron and scapeshift, crumble is an option too.

What are skreds bad matchups again? (Besides adnaus)
>>
>>50048476
Post a decklist of a deck that would break Modern with Yawgwill.

Most of the things that actually make it good are banned or don't exist in the format.

I think it would make Storm better, it might revive some kind of Gifts Storm deck, and it might see a bit of play in BGx or Grixis Control.
>>
>>50050574
I don't wanna play eternal command because I don't want to make space for vials and Ewit. I like shackles and blood moon more.
>>
>>50050609
I think yawgwill would see play in suicide zoo because you can cast the cards with phyrexian mana.
>>
>>50050705
>T3 with Shadow and Swiftspear out
>Mutagenic, Mutagenic, Will, Mutagenic, Mutagenic, Probe, Bauble
>2 life remaining, 20+ damage going in
I could see it.

Or late game drawing it and throwing 3-4 one mana dudes back on the board.
>>
>>50050609
A few rituals, a swiftspear and temur battlerage will storm you into a win without even needing to count how many spells you could cast in a turn. Imagine manamorphoseing with a pyromancer ascension out and then you slam yogs will and your swiftspear becomes bigger than two marit lage's and you have 2 spell peirces in the gy to flashback on turn 2.
>>
>>50050833
>man if you have like these ten cards you could totally go off dude
>in modern
>without ponder, brainstorm, or pretty much any solid way to cycle through your deck

How the fuck do you plan on getting all that mana, or all those cards, before the opponent just kills you? You're hypothesizing a massive "what if" scenario when in reality you'd have a lot of shitty cards that don't do anything unless you have ALL of those cards, which is too hard to manage. Storm in Modern is already janky as shit, no point in trying to make it worse with YawgWill. Unless you already have a charged pyromancer's ascension to copy your manamorphoses, leading off with a yawgwill means you're even more likely to run out of mana halfway through the combo.

in short, yeah it has potential upside, but without the truly busted cards like dark ritual, lotus, led, tutor, etc, it's probably not as good as you think it could be
>>
>>50033747
what conclusion lead you to cutting reality smasher? i find it does a ton of work and bumped up to 3 mb
>>
>>50050584
believe it or not tron and valakut decks are pretty tough. you need moon to even have a chance in those games, they don't just roll over and die. considering skred doesn't really start dealing damage until turn 4, tron will usually have plenty of time to hit land drops and hardcast wurmcoils or dig for nature's claim.
anyways tier 1 is full of decent matchups but beyond that things can get iffy
>>
>>50015226
4 Wurmcoils main with Fogs in the sb should be sufficient vs current goldfish: the gathering unless they all play dnt and ponza at your locals. You literally can't lose to BGx which should be the most common archetype at any given time.
>>
>>50012889
2-1 with E&T

>lose to Infect, hard. Turn 3s me G1, mulligan to 5 G2, chain off vial, arbiter, path, quarter, thalia then draw 3 lands and die.
>completely obliterate aggro goblins
>get paired up against Ad Naus, win 2-1. sneak into 3rd on breakers.
>>
>Kent Ketter no longer with Team Cardhoarder

RIP
>>
>>50050965
Not him but I found that it got stuck in my hand a fair bit, especially if drawn in multiples
Also he doesn't actually feel great to drop into a losing board state, since all he can do is swing in for damage they could just take from ahead. Resto seems to have more flexibility in consisrtently getting value and more potential to produce blowouts and comebacks in my experience
>>
>>50049098
I sold several eye of ugin for cheap right before the eldrazi took over
>>
>>50049316
I believe you don't lose life from Madcap Experiment because Platinum Emperion is on the battlefield before it deal damage because of the order Madcap Experiment is worded.
>>
>>50054849
Correct
>>
>>50052220
Good

I can't have too much sympathy for cheaters
>>
>>50055883
Story?
>>
>>50056161
He was on dredge. His opponent played rest in peace. He picked up his graveyard so his opponent didn't announce the trigger. He then put his graveyard back. He or his opponent called a judge. He "neglected" to tell the judge that he had picked up his graveyard. The judge ruled in his favor.
The next round he lost because he didn't read Phyrexian Unlife or understand how it works. He could of played a collective brutality before combat and instead played it after.
That tournament was kind of a shit show for quality modern play.
>>
>>50056214
which tournament?
>>
>>50056264
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/scg-modern-open-milwaukee-2016-10-23#online
SCG Modern Open
>>
>>50052220
Amen. That graveyard trick was a unforgivable douchebaggery and I can't believe Wizards let him get away with it.
>>
>>50056767
I mean the main thing is that the guy withheld information. According to reddit, the judge said he would have ruled differently if he knew that the guy picked up his graveyard.
>>
>>50056214
I don't understand how picking up a graveyard has any effect on rip or the state of the game.
>>
>>50057119
At competitive REL, you can miss triggers (although you cannot miss triggers that would hurt you intentionally). This means that if your Rest in Peace resolves, and you do not announce the trigger nothing happens.
The guy picked up his graveyard to make it look like he was reacting to the trigger so his opponent did not announce it.
It may not be cheating, but it's a really fucking scummy play.
>>
Here's the game with Kent Ketter and Rest in Peace.
https://youtu.be/RPwnclSzLgc?t=1m16s
>>
>>50057254
Holy fuck what a piece of shit. 1:16 in.
It was so obvious too. He didn't just grab it but he moved it around to where, traditionally, people put their exile zone then just slides it back
>>
>>50057254
They even announce "and he rest in Peace's Kent!"
>>
>>50057254
what a memelord
>>
>>50057254
scummy play but it didn't really matter so im not really angry
that shit with sam black on elves was fucking awful though
>>
>>50057631
>sam black on elves
Anybody care to explain this one?
>>
>4 lightning bolts in 5 turns
fuuuuuuuck you
>>
>>50058369
>tfw opening hand of land, land, goyf, goyf, bolt, bolt, bolt
>>
>>50057769
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/28248_Scandal.html

A local player I know who's been on the pro tour as well has some horror stories about Black as well.
>>
>>50059001
tl;dr
>>
>>50059231
Sam started a combo turn with an elvish visionary out. He draws his entire deck with glimpse, his opponent having blown up elvish visionary with pernicious deed. Sam swings with craterhoof and a summoning sick elvish visionary to win game 1.
>>
File: Punishing Fire.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Punishing Fire.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
I wonder if Punishing Fire could get unbanned now. This is the kind of meta where it would be welcomed.

To those who understand why it's banned, think of the insane synergy with Grove of the Burnwillows (R: Target opponent gains 1 life, get back Punishing Fire from your graveyard to your hand.)
>>
>>50061128
I play infect and I'd be fine with this tbqh fampai. I think their usual method of banning things rather than unbanning has led to a toxic player base crying for bans every three months.
>>
>>50061128
>let's give the only viable non-aggro deck another reason to play it over anything else
Fuck that. Unban dig, twin and pod motherfuckers
>>
>>50061645
Unban Second Sunrise.
>>
>>50061744
or not, eggs was pure cancer
>>
>>50061645
>pod
no, that one deserves the ban
>>
>>50061645
Unban Jace too desu
>>
File: 121212.jpg (5MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
121212.jpg
5MB, 2560x1600px
>>50061882
I don't know why Jace is still banned

The only people I know that still want him to be banned are just still asspained about caw-blade and they never explain reasons why he would be a bad unban.
>>
Okay guys, I abandonned modern and MTG altogether at the eldrazi nightmare. Just came back. What happened during the time I was gone. Also, is scapeshift any good in this meta? I see valakut is top of the control meta. Would scapeshift compete against that amount of Jund?
>>
>>50061903
If brainstorm is too good for modern, a brainstorm each turn is too good. Tapping out turn 4 is a big deal though, especially with only 3 loyalty.
>>
>>50061903
Probably because people kind of rightfully assume that he's one of the strongest 4drops, if not one of the strongest cards, that you could be playing in decks that want him. What they fail to realize is that, especially now with all the other different decks running around in modern, is that NOT every single deck would want to slap a bunch of JTMSes in their 75.

Control blue in general is just a pile of shit right now unless you try to run some grixis variant. Even that hasn't been doing well since the twin ban.

However a JTMS ban would lead to prices spiking as everybody woefully tries to play him to mixed success. It'd also likely return us to every deck becoming 4-5color goodstuff again, which isn't something I want to see.

>>50061954
Valakut is scapeshift you fucking mong, and it does decently well because there's not much actual control.
>>
>>50062000
Brainstorm being too good for modern isn't the reason why it will never end up in the card pool. The problem is more they will NEVER reprint it into standard again, it goes completely against NWO.
>>
>>50061903
He's too good without bloodbraid to keep him in check
>>
>>50062009
>valakut is scapeshift.

No it's not. It has literally nothing to do with all-in scapeshift decks. For starters Valakut are control decks running 4 valakuts and eventually one scapeshift, while other scapeshift variants are combo decks, with 3 scapeshifts and 2 valakuts. Second of all, colors are not the same and third of all the gameplan is not the same.
>>
>>50062009
>Control blue in general is just a pile of shit right now unless you try to run some grixis variant. Even that hasn't been doing well since the twin ban.
UW(x) is actually the control variant of choice right now, but you are right the hard shift back towards aggro the meta has taken after the twin ban has hurt them a lot.

Honestly fuck wizards, combo right now is complete shit, and it was intentional on their part. Modern isnt some baby's first deck kind of format. It should be a format for more well developed play styles and strategies. I understand not making it Legacy 2.0, but it needs to have a higher level feel to it. I've had enough of purely linear strategies, usually make creature, swing. We need combo so that control can come back, there's a rock, paper, scissors thing going on in mtg. If you remove scissors, everyone will just play paper, and that's what we're seeing right now post-twin.
>>
>>50062155
I mean if you want to beat aggro decks you can still play ultra fast combo decks or decks that counter these pretty well like Ad Nauseam. Ad Nauseam is always the solution against an overwhelming amount of aggro decks in my opinion.

Hell even if you find it hard to play against aggro as ad nauseam you can even sideboard fucking darkness and whatnot
>>
>>50062155
>Honestly fuck wizards, combo right now is complete shit, and it was intentional on their part. Modern isnt some baby's first deck kind of format. It should be a format for more well developed play styles and strategies. I understand not making it Legacy 2.0, but it needs to have a higher level feel to it.
This
They're fucking helicopter parenting the format and it's annoying as shit

>>50062310
Ad Nauseam is cool mechanically as a combo but I've put quite a few hours into it and as a deck it's so absolutely fucking god awfully boring to play. You interact on such an absurdly small level and you're just waiting to draw your combo pieces to go off. Legacy combo decks at least have a higher level of interaction than the stuff in modern, hell even shit like Belcher is more interesting than playing Ad Nauseam.
>>
>>50062354
Freecasting Patrician's Scorn to clear away your opponent's Leyline counts as interaction right?
>>
>>50062406
Not really
>>
>>50062028
I disagree for multiple reasons.

1) NWO is about complexity of cards at common. brainstorm isn't terribly complex, but even if you wanted to make that argument, they could just reprint it at uncommon (like semen visions).

2) brainstorm is not too powerful for standard. it's pretty bad without fetches or other ways to shuffle the deck.

3) brainstorm is too powerful for modern. holy fuck, that card is insane.
>>
>>50056868
Then why didnt his opponent tell the judge that he moved the yard? Why was a judge called at all then?
>>
>>50017084
>combo means casting a bunch of spells
Spicy
>>
>>50066118
>Casting a bunch of non-creature spells to win the game regardless of the board state.
>not combo

Burn is an aggro deck with a combo element, similar to affinity and infect.
>>
File: IMG_1464.png (196KB, 700x761px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1464.png
196KB, 700x761px
Anyone else recognize the horns in the background?
>>
>>50068581
No shit, welcome to like 5 months ago
>>
i want to get into modern playing dredge, but i've heard talk of the deck being banned
how likely is the ban? is it worth buying the deck given how likely it is?
>>
>>50068581
More importantly, who else recognizes those pyramids
Look like KANGZ tier shit
>>
>>50068730
Holy shit you're so funny
>>
>>50068836
Thanks pal, I really try
>>
In a Boros/Nizvet deck non basic mountains that enter the battlefield tapped are a no-go, right?
>>
>>50068958
No one knows what kind of deck you're talking about so hard to say.
>>
>>50068958
If you want to be a cunt in friendly runs mono red moon land destruction
>>
>trevor on nexus analyzing milwaukee
wow he said literally nothing
>>
File: modernabzanliege.jpg (4MB, 7656x2340px) Image search: [Google]
modernabzanliege.jpg
4MB, 7656x2340px
>Currently playing:
Abzan Liege

>Easy matchups:
Jund, 8-Rack, Merfolk, Tokens

>Almost impossible to win matchups:
Tron & Dredge

Been tweaking the sideboard since first posting on /tg/. Aven Mindcensor is doing well against Tron and Control matchups. Testing out Creeping Corrosion after not using it for months.
>>
>>50069624
>Aven Mindcensor is doing well against Tron and Control matchups
Lol how? It's only relevant vs Expedition Map which are cracked on turns 1 and 2.
>>
>>50068695
It depends on how well the deck is performing, I suspect it won't get banned due to all of the hate available for it, and if something from it does get banned it'll probably be cathartic reunion. Dredge would still be a deck, just a little weaker.
>>
>>50069754
Sanctum of Ugin
Ancient Stirrings
Sylvan Scrying

there are more good targets for tron.
>>
>>50069965
>sanctum
Only relevant in long games, a single Ostone or Ugin and Tron has already won.
>ancient stirrings
Does nothing vs the card?
>Sylvan Scrying
Relevant on turns 2 and 3 in Christmasland scenarios for you.
>>
>>50069766

>if we feel like a deck is too strong, we will put an only okay card from it on the BANLIST so we nerf it a tiny bit

Yeah fucking right.
>>
Sold out about a year ago. Decided to think about gettimg back in. Is it worth taking storm to an event larger than an fnm? How is its dredge matchup? What boogeyman are in the format right now?
>>
>>50070470
Storm is garbage
>>
>>50070523
I know. But it's all I have. Well that and UW titan
>>
>>50070555
Better shell out a thousand dollars for a new deck, then, because modern storm is a pile of hot shit
>>
>>50070470

>Boogeyman

You have to prepare for almost literally every deck; this is the main issue with modern right now, where it comes at you from so many powerful and proactive directions that you need your sideboard stuffed to the brim with bullets, all while topdecking hard enough to beat GBx, and that often isn't enough. The best bullets are Rest in Peace and Stony Silence, which you have no access to with Storm. Storm is a tad too durdly for the meta right now which consists of suicide zoo, affinity, infect, Naya burn, dredge, GBx, bant eldrazi, to a lesser extent Tron, and more recently UWx Spirits.
>>
>>50070636
How about UW titan? The only thing I can't pack is the gy hate vs dredge, but that deck eats unfair creature decks for breakfast. Zoo, affinity, infect, burn dont bother me. My only worry is everyone's dredge hate will double up on me too. Tron and gbx are bad matchup but winnable if I play smart
>>
>>50070697

>storm
>infect doesn't bother me
>burn doesn't bother me
>sui zoo doesn't bother me
>Tron and GBx are bad matchups
Did someone hit you on the head? you seem to have this literally completely inverse. Post storm list please
>>
>>50070849
Did someone hit you? Learn to read

>>50070697
UW titan is also shit. Sorry bruh
>>
>>50070697

>blue white titan
wait, fucking what?
>>
>>50070913

Oh, he's asking how UW titan fares. That's ambiguous, my dude. I thought he was still asking about where storm lies, and whether UW titan was considered a boogieman.
>>
>>50070913
I know it's shit. According to 4chan everything that's not a $2,000 deck as shit. I was asking if it was worth even taken to an event bigger than an fnm.
>>
had a weird dream about magic last night, kind of want to play even though it has been almost 10 years. Do they still sell premade decks and if so, could I alter one to go to FNM and play for funsies? I have no fucking clue if that would even be worth the time and I've never been to FNM but I have no friends and money so I thought it might be cool.
>>
>>50070991
It's honestly not
You're going to get stomped by the "2000$ decks"
>>
>>50071027
>Do they still sell premade decks and if so, could I alter one to go to FNM and play for funsies?

Sure! Don't be disappointed if you don't win, though. Premade decks have notoriously low power levels. Feel free to go and enjoy yourself as long as you keep your expectations low. Note that most people going to modern FNMs are using very expensive tried and true decks, which will usually walk all over something tuned for other premade decks.

What I would recommend for you is draft, though. It gives each player a semi equal playing field and the better builders/players usually come out on top. That way you still have equal chance at the prize pool, regardless of your monetary investment, and it'll make you a better player by knowing how to analyze cards.
>>
>>50071123
that's cool. I drafted back in the day and had some fun with it (even if I sucked). I imagine it'd be an effective way to put some cards together too. Do game stores give out lands when they hold drafts? I only ever drafted on MTGO
>>
>>50070991
>According to 4chan everything that's not a $2,000 deck as shit
It kind of is though. Card quality has become so high on the chase rares and mythics that a lot of the strongest decks are either "degenerate combos that fold to silver bullets", or "decks packed with a bunch of silver bullets to beat degenerate combos". All the specific cards used are in high demand, and land costs will continue to rise as long as Wizards refuses to print powerful constructed lands at uncommon (which will never happen). The secondary market ensures that any breakout card that COULD be good will instantly shoot up in price, and anything which is already good will cost you a pretty penny.

If you're really itching for a super cheap deck, you have to brew it yourself, and you're going to end up making bad decks most of the time. That's just how it works, trial and error. Occasionally you might get something golden out of the process, like how lantern control was concieved using a pile of crap cards that just work beautifully together.
>>
>>50070991
OK. Stop being buttblasted for a sec.
Burn, suicide zoo, tron, merfolk, dnt and bant eldrazi are all cheaper.
Just because your bad decks are bad doesn't mean everything costs $2000
>>
>>50071405
This
Any deck that isn't Abzan, Jund, or Grixis Delver, or I guess Jeskai costs under 1000$
Which is most decks
>>
>>50071405
Is dnt good now? When I played it wasn't really well set in the meta. Also is it still gw hate bears or has anything changed in the deck?
>>
>>50071661
GW Hatebears became the new DnT which is generally BW Eldrazi Bears
>>
>>50071433
Grixis delver is like 700-800. The only expensive cards are Tarns and Snaps and that makes up about 550 dollars.
>>
>>50071963
You can even skip tarns
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.