[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New 40k player

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: agsl.jpg (41KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
agsl.jpg
41KB, 480x360px
I was wondering what the color scheme for Armagedon steel legion vehicles/jets. Also do you have any tips for a new IG player?
>>
bumparooo
>>
>>49997320
check the codex?
>>
>>49999320
not in there. Mostly cadia stuff and the Armagedon troopers
>>
File: IMG_0908.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0908.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
By canon / GW's model collection, it's some combination of desert tan and gray striping. Some players go mostly gray with tan highlights, others go 50/50, others go mostly tan with gray highlights.

Steel legion actually don't field many aircraft in the lore, since the Orks pretty much established air superiority over the skies within the first weeks of Armageddon III (the exception being some low altitude bombers). Doesn't mean you can't field them (I do), but if your goal is 100% lore conforrmity steel legion aren't big on aircraft.

Tips for new IG players:

these are your best units in the book, on a point per point basis:

>Wyvern
>Chimera
>Conscript platoon
>Infantry blob platoon
>LR Punisher / Exterminator
>Manticore
>Thudd guns/ quad launcher (forgeworld)
>Veteran squads
>Vendetta/ valkyrie
>Aegis defense line (fortification)

The IG codex is weak on long range anti-armor, since hullpoints have effectively made the vanquisher trash at its job. The most efficient way to make up for this is with lots of mobile meltagun units that can counter attack heavy armor that gets in close to unload troops or smash your units. You might have to throw a unit away and let the other guy stomp it, then melt it on your turn.

The book does have a number of great anti-infantry options, especially for close range. In particular, infantry and conscript platoons are very good when taken to max size (50) and stacked with both orders and psyker powers like prescience. Orders also make platoons very versatile - you can go to ground behind an ADL for a 2+ cover save, then order the unit to get back in the fight and not be pinned next turn, for example.

The most common mistakes I see IG players make is breaking up their platoons into 10 man units that don't maximize the usefulness of orders, spamming vanquishers or lascannons to kill tanks downfield or dumping points into bad units like ogryns to try to have some kind of melee option. None of these things work.
>>
https://mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!xMJTxCyD

Check out the 3.5 imperial guard codex and the 5th ed codex for pics, its a mix of light grey and a light tan! Welcome to the guard son!
>>
File: IMG_0714.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0714.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>49999520

Math showing why a 50-man platoon is far more useful than 5 10 man squads. FRFSRF is the first rank fire, second rank fire order. The number of shots the entire unit gets per turn is broken down and added together in both a 5-squad and 1-blob configuration:

Five squads, orders but no psyker:

Sq 1: 20 shots + FRFSRF order 10 shots
Sq 2: 20 shots
Sq 3: 20 shots
Sq 4: 20 shots
Sq 5: 20 shots

110 shots total
55 hits
18 wounds
6 dead MEQs (marine equivalent troops)

Now, let's reorganize into 1 50-man platoon with a psyker:

Sq 1: 100 shots + FRFSRS order 50 shots

150 shots total
75 hits > reroll the misses, get 37 more hits
112 hits total
37 wounds
12 dead MEQs

The only difference between the two setups is one 20-point inquisitor and how many squads you have your platoon divided into, but the second setup is twice as effective. It's even better if you throw plasmaguns in there, since the divination reroll prevents you from overheating as much.

The above is why IG infantry is really go big or go home - you are wasting points on less effective units unless you adequately invest in the platoon.

If you don't want to invest in that much infantry, then stand-alone units that perform well in IG are:

>meltagun veterans in chimeras
>chimeras in general
>vendettas (sometimes)
>wyverns
>manticores (sometimes)
>LR punisher

FW stuff:
rapier laser destroyers

Fortifications:
wall of martyrs bunker
armored crate container
ADL
>>
Should I go with citadel paints or regular paints?
>>
>>49999520
How are Slab Bullgryns as a more mobile ADL alternative?
>>
>>50001069
what do you mean with normal?
Generally I would avoid paints that are not intended for miniatures (i.e. Citadel, Vallejo etc.) as they are usually not fine grained and will obstruct detail etc.
>>
>>50001069
Don't support the tabletop jews
>>
>>50001069
You want to get gaming/modelling acrylics. They don't have to be Citadel though. Vallejo, P3, Coat d'Atms, etc. make paints that are just as good or better, but you don't want to use standard craft store acrylics. Those generally have much grainier pigment that can look bad for models. Save that stuff for scratchbuilt terrain.
>>
>>50001127
Well my dad has paints he uses for train modeling... I thought they might work well.
>>
>>50001164
You really want to make sure they're acrylics, which are water based. Train stuff is often enamels or oil-based paint which is a huge pain to work with if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>50001294
Yeah maybe I'll go with the GW paints just to be sure for my first few models.
>>
>>50001320
It's okay to use the train stuff if it's acrylic and your dad doesn't mind. You just don't want to have to be messing around with paint thinner or waiting for hours for paint to dry when you're learning to paint your first few models. Also the gaming specific stuff comes in colors designed for the games, although that's less of an issue for Steel Legion because their scheme is quasi-historical.
>>
>Prime Black
>Drybrush Codex Gray
>Heavy Drybrush that shit anon
>Airbrush on dead flesh
>>
>>50001320
Consistency. See below.

>>50001447
Second what this anon says. I use a few things like DA Green, BA red, UM blue for consistency but only because I bought a paint set in store my first time since I didn't have any vibrant colours at home other than yellow. Now I'm locked in to overpriced paint for that consistency. Since I paint a custom scheme anyway I would have been better off with paints without the GW name-not-quality markup. Changing now, even with my poor paint mixing skills, would annoy me because the colours look different.

I don't think anyone, other than maybe you or some anal retentive fluff nazi, is really going to care if you paint something "desert tan" rather than "Armageddon Dunes" or "dark sea grey" instead of "Mechanicus Standard Grey". Make a choice now because you may have a hard time changing your mind later on.
>>
I'm fairly new but there is a citadel paint called "steel legion drab" which I bet will come into play at some point in your painting process
>>
>>49997320

dude, did you try typing "steel legion vehicle painting theme" in this thing they call google? Cause it gives pretty good results.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.