[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

True20

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: grr1714_452_1024x1024[1].jpg (43KB, 450x585px) Image search: [Google]
grr1714_452_1024x1024[1].jpg
43KB, 450x585px
So, a friend of mine was suggesting trying out a d20 game that we hadn't played yet, for fun, and someone brought up True20 as a possibility.

Anybody tried it?

What did you think of it?

It's a substantial d20 redesign, like FantasyCraft, right?
>>
>>49995465
I'm on mobile but I'll see if I can find the link to the mega with almost all True20 stuff if you'd like. I've never played it myself but I think it seems like oneveryone of the few good d20 versions
>>
>>49995465
It's probably my favorite remnant if the d20 Glut.
It's an attempt at turning d20 into a generic system. Basically they took every class trait and turned them into feats. You have three base classes that determine your skills and a few other things, and from there you build up the class you want through feats. Spellcasting is also done through feats and skills, every spell is a feat (it might have more than one effect) and to cast it you have to check against exhaustion.
The other interesting thing is that it uses a condition scale instead of hit points. When you get hit you save against damage, if you fail you get progressively worse conditions up to death. Thanks to this, you don't need any die that is not a d20.
All in all I consider it an improvement over the standard d20 stuff. The book details how to play in several sorts of settings and there are a lot of supplements with more setting and rules material.
>>
Is this probably isn't gonna be very help but I'll post anyway.
I own this game.... i think, I don't remember it well so i guess it didn't leave much of an impression.
So take that for what you will.
>>
>>49995465
It's not nearly as heavy as FantasyCraft, it felt more like it was going for a rules light d20 variant that could tackle non-fantasy settings. After trying this and Savage Worlds, I ended up sticking with the latter.
>>
>>49995759
So d20 GURPS?
>>
It's reminiscent of Mutants & Masterminds in some ways, and it's the system originally used in Blue Rose.
>>
>>49999339
Maybe in spirit, but True20 is still a d20 derivative, so mostly just a bunch of prepackaged traits, without the fine-tuning or complexity of a GURPS. It's also actually playable without autism.
>>
>>49999677
>only autists play GURPS meme
I want /tv/ to leave
>>
>>49995465
It's essentially the core ideas of Mutants & Masterminds (also by Green Ronin) slimmed down and divorced from the superheroics concept.

The game revolves around two design elements:
>Piecemeal character design
Build your class as you go out of feats. If it's a core feature of a D&D class you can invest in it in feats.
You also pick a Background which gives you a few more extra things, like feats or skills--and in the context of a fantasy RPG this could be your race.
>Broad ways to interpret mechanical axioms
Like Mutants & Masterminds, it's designed for you to be able to take characters or things that are otherwise mechanically identical and just reinterpret the context of what props those numbers up, and makes them true.
There are three classes you build out of which define feat access and grant a unique feature, defining your specialization: Warrior (fighting), Expert (skills), and Adept (powers).
But, they're not necessarily Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard--you could just as well make a Street Samurai, a Decker, or a Shaman, respectively, just by having those contexts and character ideas in mind when picking skills, feats, and powers.

There are also guidelines to make your own to fit other places on the spectrum of these 3, or have a different spin on their core abilities or assumptions.
>>
>>50001533
>It's essentially the core ideas of Mutants & Masterminds (also by Green Ronin) slimmed down and divorced from the superheroics concept.
Although, while I say this, it is a bit anachronistic as a large portion of similarities actually originate from Blue Rose and True20 rather than Mutants & Masterminds 3e, which came out afterwards.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.