[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 81Q9oBG1gAL._SL1500_.jpg (429KB, 1183x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81Q9oBG1gAL._SL1500_.jpg
429KB, 1183x1500px
What's the best edition of this and is it any good?

I've only ever GM'd D&D and none of my players have played anything else, but I'm getting a little tired of D&D.

Any tips? Share your stories please.
>>
>>49985459
Not the OP but I'm wondering if there are any vampire states other than Sylvania.
>>
>>49985459
1E for the best atmosphere, 2E for the best rules
>>
>>49985459
I like the third edition (the one in your pic) but be aware that it's so far removed from the two predecessors that a comparison is meaningless.
2e is the one where you start as a peasant and risk your life at every corner. 3e is an experiment in game design.
>>
>>49986094
What makes 1e's atmosphere superior?
>>
>>49987306
it's darker, more metal. if you prefer a cleaner renaissance flair, then 2E's style > 1E style for you.
>>
>>49985459
2nd edition is best. That being said I haven't given the other editions much time of day.
>>
Personally 3e was the best edition to me.

The narrative dice, cards for easy rules reference, and pretty easy mechanics (that were so different it took a bit a to get used to) that it led to a wonderful gaming session once i was learned.

It had its fair share of flaws though.

Key mechanics like insanity and chaos mutations being broken up among different add-ons instead of part of the core game and the price to get everything rolling is pretty bad. The game not lending itself well to playing more than 3 or 4 players (and an add-on needed for that fourth player) is also a major flaw to a lot of people.

That said, the mechanics are really solid, the narrative dice system is phenomenal, the game is 'complete' and didn't suffer from a lot of bloat and instead feels well designed and actually well, complete.

I can't recommend it to anybody now though because it won't get reprinted, the dice are hard to come by now and prohibitively expensive and will only go up in price because FFG won't be making any more of them, the price for the game's add-ons are going up drastically to as time goes on because no more is being made or sold.

You can net the core rulebooks with no add-ons but it won't be as good as having all those bits and bobs that actually serve a good purpose. I will probably sell my complete set one day (especially since The Hero's Call add-on is selling for over 1,000 bucks on some sites).
>>
>>49988437
I personally found third edition to be too narrative focused, but that is a taste preference.
>>
>>49988603

RPGs SHOULD really be narrative focused.

The combat was solid, the options for social actions were also great, the mechanics for chases and investigations were well done.

Really, all in all, WFRP 3e is still one of the best overall RPGs I have played from a mechanics standpoint.
>>
>>49988437
Yeah, it's flawed, but it may be my RPG waifu. All the problems it may have the strengths outshine it. It gives a great feel for the setting and the mechanics lend themselves to the atmosphere.

They tried to do something different and there are some problems but man is there some great stuff in there.
>>
>>49989606
By narrative focused I mean focused more on thematics than realism. I have come to loath overly thematic based games (but I find a mixture palatable). For example, I cannot stand how Poisn'd handles ship chases/combat. Its nonsensical.
>>
2nd edition is my favorite, but you should also pick up 1st if you can. The setting information in there is fantastic.

Also make sure you find the bestiary for second edition. It's one of the best tabletop RPG supplements I've ever read, and is fantastic for all of its in-setting detail. Really, WFRP has some of the most top notch supplements out there.

3rd is pretty much a nogo at this point. I personally strongly dislike it, but even if it's your thing it has gone out of print and is prohibitively expensive to get. You can play its direct descendent in the form of Star Wars FFG though.
>>
>>49985459

2nd edition WHFRP - with some minor tweaks

If you run it as a medieval/renaissance game with supernatural elements in the background it gives a reat point of entry for new players and veterans alike.

Our longest campaign lasted a year and a half... and i'm just starting a new one in Sylvania in a couple of days.

No system is perfect, but if you like the general setting and feel of a game, tweaking a couple of things that don't make sense to your players helps a lot.
>>
>>49989887
Forgot to mention the supplements...
There's so many of them and greatly detailed.
Old World Armoury,
Old World Bestiary
Sigmar's Heirs
Shades of the empire

Plus pretty much a supplement for every derivative country in the empire and around it, like Kislev, Bretonia, Sylvania and so on.
>>
>>49985459
I've been playing the 2nd ed. for a while now.

If played the way the rulebook wants, it's exceptionally easy to die in the first phases of the game. Once you get rolling you can face a lot of previously deadly threats more easily, but the world of warhammer is so lethal you might get fucked up anyways.

Overall a lot of fun though, but I'd recommend it to people already into warhammer
>>
>>49989949
>>49989887
Yeah, and that is why I love second edition. The system is passable, the supplements themselves are superb.
>>
>>49989988
Yeah, I bought as easy half dozen or more 2e fluff books for 3e, as the setting is the same except the date.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.