[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /tg/ newish DM, What resources/programs do you use to build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

hey /tg/ newish DM,
What resources/programs do you use to build dungeons?
im trying to build a water temple style dungeon inspired by zelda. what types of things should i include in the dungeon?
>water level changes of course
>keys and locked doors
>puzzles
>traps
>monster
thnx!
>>
>>49981637
>water temple style dungeon inspired by zelda
>water temple
Don't do it unless you want your players to hate you on a deep and personal level.
>>
>>49981637
>im trying to build a water temple style dungeon
In that case my advice would be to kill yourself for the betterment of mankind.
>>
>>49981863
>>49981655
Ignore these faggots op, the water temple was boss. really good concept, required the player to pay attention, and actually figure shit out.
>>
First of all, when designing it make sure you don't have an A -> B -> C progression of events, not only do players not necessarily need keys, but unless the justification is there, it would be really dickish to not let a rogue pick a few locks to "sequence break" so don't build your dungeon on the same expectaion of Ten Doors needing Ten Keys.

Instead, give players a chance to explore and look around, make things like the keys they're trying to find a way to get into the boss' room, either parts of an orb, or something that can't be applied to a simple skill check
>>
>>49982512
No it required backtracking trough a circuit. That shit was a bad idea from early on in game design. Now the temples in Majora's Mask; those are ideal dungeons.

>>49981637
Why do you need a battlemap for this at all? You just need some boxes and lines saying what things are and a dry erase map for combats that happen so you can change the terrain features.
>>
>>49982618
It required thought and an understanding of the dungeons mechanics. backtracking was kept to a minimum if you had more than 3 brain cells.
>>
>>49982512
>the water temple was boss. really good concept
Good concept, awfully executed.
>>
>>49982938
>>49981863
>>49981655
I've heard this a lot, what exactly about the water temple causes such butt hurt?
>>
>>49982950
It basically boils down to boot mechanics, generic vidya water level awkwardness and lackluster boss. That and memes.
>>
>>49981637
>What resources/programs do you use to build dungeons?

Graph paper and a pencil friendo.
>>
>>49981637
Sometimes I boot up Daggerfall and try to chart the dungeons so I can use that map for my games.
>>
>>49983173
A ruler might also be useful if your hands aren't particularly steady and you want to have straight lines.
>>
>>49982641
And yet Lufia 2 did the water temple better in the 90s because it had some of the best dungeon design in video games.
>>
>>49983201
Sure, but at the same time the GM is probably the only one who's going to see the map anyway. It doesn't really matter how it looks so long as the GM can read it.
>>
>>49983202
k, i never claimed it was the best ever, just that it was good
>>
>>49983188
I loved the 3D dungeon maps in that game, wish they'd have continued it in the later ones.
>>
>>49981637
>Water temple
Yes because we all always wanted to relive that with 4 other assholes. I will say though if you pull it off well enough you'd get some major kudos.
>>
>>49981637
>water temple
I hated that fucking place.

Genius idea and absolutely memorable dungeon. Defined my childhood.

Still despise it.
>>
>>49981637
https://youtu.be/ouO1R6vFDBo?list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2
Mark Brown does a decent series on this topic.

Also, for large and complicated dungeons I'm a fan of this article series:
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/13085/roleplaying-games/jaquaying-the-dungeon

For the dungeon itself it's probably best to use simple graph paper, but you're going to want height to be apparent in the key somehow, especially since you're likely to have doors unreachable from the floor and such.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.