[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>My character doesn't work with others

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 31

File: 1476166567890.gif (34KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1476166567890.gif
34KB, 267x200px
>>
I fucking hate players who refuse to play.
>>
>>49975735
>Alright. Here's a blank character sheet. Make one that does.
>>
>>49975735

It sorta feels like one of the unspoken rules of the game, that the characters will stay together and quest together, and not just break up at the first argument over who's got first watch, but characters like "I work alone, I'm a lone wolf" keep showing up.

What do you think is a good way to get players to stay and work together?

My last DM had us all start out at a parade and witness the assassination of the Empress, and have to work together to clear our names for the crime.

One other idea I have for a game I'm going to run, is that the players are members of a caravan traveling across some really brutal terrain, and the caravan leader has taken a piece of their souls in exchange for getting them safely to the city on the other side. Want to leave before we get to the end? Sure, as you like - I wouldn't want to go on, rapidly losing memories of my past and my sense of self on account of my broken soul, but that's your choice...
>>
>>49975735
I think that a character who doesn't initially like working with the group can be good, if handled well. What's important is that A) he must be forced to work with them somehow, B) he has to have a good reason that C) isn't emo or something. For example, I had a character who didn't like the group because his motivation was to escape the Underdark while they wanted to explore it more and because the thief had repeatedly tried stealing his gold. However, he stuck with them because good fucking luck surviving on your own down there and, importantly, when the shit hit the fan was a decent enough person to help them instead of bailing... which a few party members actually did, the fuckers.
>>
>>49975877
No, don't tell me how to roleplay
>>
I no longer allow for loner characters.

It was a hard choice after running games for 13 years but I made the call a few years back. I got tired of hearing the same grown ass men telling me they are grizzled lone wolf types that hold a grudge when forced to work with others. I just gave up allowing free, unrestricted character creation and made games that followed themes and made everyone know one another on a personal basis before campaign start.

It has probably killed a good bit of role playing but there is such thing as hearing "I sit alone in the corner" and "I slip away from camp to be alone" before you go insane or want to never see your friends again.
>>
>>49975735
OP, in all his faggotry, decided to shit up /tg/ one last time before going to bed
>He looked through his immense shitposting image folder for a shit sponge bob image to make his faggotry even more stupendous
>Then he needed a theme for his faggotry, and he decided that he should target players that make characters that dont cooperate with others simply for the sake of being even more of a giant homosexual
>His post complete, and posted, he clicked X, leavign the thread to die, going to sleep knowing his faggotry would stir the ire of dozens
>>
>>49977244
Ok, you can roleplay somewhere else. Preferably in heavy traffic.
>>
File: Artorias.jpg (231KB, 1465x1259px) Image search: [Google]
Artorias.jpg
231KB, 1465x1259px
>>49977322
I get the feeling you like to play lone wolf characters.
>>
>>49975735
>teammember literally about to kill my character for being a known theif.
>Defends himself
>Gets punished by the dm and the character is killed on the spot
What a shitshow that was.
>>
>>49976871
>My last DM had us all start out at a parade and witness the assassination of the Empress, and have to work together to clear our names for the crime.
>Not taking pride in killing the empress.
>Being this much of a beta bitch.
>>
>>49977629
I think you meant to call him a cuck. Update your memes, anon.
>>
>>49977381
Good I never wanted to play in your shitty game anyway.
>>
>>49977629

Well I wouldn't want the whole damn country after me for having allegedly killed the Queen...
>>
>>49977381
I survived. Now look at me. I'm the GM now.
>>
>>49977244

Sure. Door's to your left. I'm sure you'll find a group better suited to your tastes.
>>
File: 548f2d2d64f6b1b63c4950086f9e48a2.jpg (698KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
548f2d2d64f6b1b63c4950086f9e48a2.jpg
698KB, 1024x1024px
>My character has social anxiety about being left out
>Will break down if separated from the party.
>>
>>49975735
>the party is fill with nothing but murder hobos who want to kill the people we could reason with and talk with the clearly evil people who will fuck us over but they want to wait for them to try so they have a reason to kill them
Im hardly even exaggerating
>>
>>49977897
That sounds like it could be fun actually. A team psychos who seize the upper hand despite by bloodthirsty morons by constantly out villain-ing the villains and acting beyond conventional reason.>L
>>
>>49976871
>What do you think is a good way to get players to stay and work together?
By excluding faggot who refuse.

You make it crystal clear that the player characters have to work together. If a player doesn't want a character that likes working together with others, then he can find another game.

It is not that fucking hard.
>>
>>49977833
>that is adorable and useful
>>
>>49976871
>have to work together to clear our names for the crime.
I tried that shit, one PC ended up in jail for a few days while the rest ignored every hook, lead, and option I threw at them, and literally sat down in an alley and waited.
Eventually I had an NPC officer order them around and use them as muscle while clearing their names and finding a real lead. Now I look like a DMNPC asshole, the players don't give a shit about the real perp, and got kicked out of town for trying to kill the officer.
I guess I'll just keep shoving then into dungeon crawls and pray they find something to give a damn about.
>>
>>49977833
>>49978060
Sounds retarded and would hinder the group if they needed to split up.
>>
>>49976871
Have them make characters as a group, pointing out all the while that they should have a character that will work with the party.

It's harder for someone to insist on being the edgy loner rogue when they're in the middle of making it and everyone is asking them questions
>>
>>49978040

I meant plot-wise. The players (most of them anyway) know that working together as a group part of the game, but the characters are usually a bunch of strangers thrown together by circumstance.

You'd go on a long dangerous quest with your friends, but most characters wouldn't with some complete strangers. So story-wise there needs to be something that encourages them to work together, and given how different all the characters can be in race and background and motivation, it can be tricky.

Some other ideas: Characters are part of an Ocean's 11 kind of heist. Characters are the newest recruits for the local city guard. Or of course, your standard mercenaries, I guess.
>>
>>49978264
I wouldn't mind as a GM.

It is called having an impactful weakness. You know, like getting so drunk you are useless until late into the following day, or being a Lawful Good Paladin or something in that ballpark.

And quite unlike the "my characters greatest flaw is his pride and never backing down from a fight he thinks he can win."
>>
Is it a dick move that I made my character unable to read?

It fits his backstory since he came from a tribal village.
>>
>>49978350
As long as he has his uses.
>>
>>49978350
Not really, he would probably come of as a simpleton to most people. Just be good friends with someone who can.
in fact could lead to some interesting things, such as navigating through a city unable to read street signs constantly asking where so&so place was.
>>
>>49978302
Have your players sit down, create or at least put the finishing touches on their characters together, and ask them "Why are you together? What makes you stay together?" Things like this don't necessarily have to come from the GM.
>>
>>49978442
Depending on the setting, e might just come off as a normal person instea dof some smarty-pants to most people. It's not like literacy has always and everywhere been the norm.
>>
I'm making a character that wants to be a bodyguard, and would insist on guarding another character. Problem is, so far it doesn't seem like anyone in the party needs guarding.

Is it worth weakening the character's central concept by lessening their need to be a guard, or should it just be scrapped?
>>
>>49978302
>I meant plot-wise. The players (most of them anyway) know that working together as a group part of the game, but the characters are usually a bunch of strangers thrown together by circumstance.
Actually, the character are fictional constructs whose goals, thoughts and actions are decided entirely by the players. The characters themselves do not have motivations or preferences; they have only what the players project onto them.

The expectation that player-characters will work together is an assumption of the medium, anon. If you have a character who refuses to work well with others, what you have is a player who isn't buying into the shared assumption.
>>
>>49978335
I feel like it is a breath of fresh air.

Here we have a problem that for once is not thrown at us suddenly by the GM. A weakness that is not a problem that needs solving asap. If the GM decides to exploit this weakness, it wont be like we didn't see it coming and if we were smart, we would have a plan for this situation to keep our weak party member at least functional enough to not be completely useless.

I mean, sure having 4 self sufficient adventure heroes would make stopping the BBEG easier but I find the "fun" parts of the campaign are when our heroes get caught up in their own shenanigans.
>>
>>49976871
In my current tabletop I play a Lawful Good half-orc paladin who's strongest virtue is his sense of comradery. Only the most wicked and selfish of villains would ever abandon a comrade. I even wrote out a passage from a holy book that tells the tale of a knight who stood against a force outnumbered 10 to 1 when a bunch of his company ditch their suck and wounded so that they could move at full speed.

Of course he's still abrasive and tough to get along with like a lot of half-orcs and he's Lawful Good in a party of entirely Neutral characters so he gets in fights with the other party members all the time. No matter what, though, no matter how badly he wants delay their main quest for a few days to charge off to track down the gang of robbers he just heard a rumor about nearby, he'll never leave the adventuring party. Ever.
>>
>>49978350
If you have to ask if a quality is bad then ask yourself "will other players be able to derive enjoyment out of this?" if the answer is yes then go ahead, if the answer is no then don't do it.
>>
>>49978693
its how our GM has run Dark Heresy and it ha worked out gloriously, as we all managed to be truly dysfunctional characters who barely even like each other, united only by purpose and the authority of the inquisition
>>
File: 1473136715569.gif (3MB, 924x508px) Image search: [Google]
1473136715569.gif
3MB, 924x508px
>>49977381
>>
>>49977322
People who play loner types tend to be the same people who join a campaign for the purposes of looking cool rather than sharing a run romp with their buddies.

With that in mind, if you can't give a reason why you would work with the rest of the party, then I can't give a good reason for why your character is going to exist within my game.
>>
>>49976871
>but characters like "I work alone, I'm a lone wolf" keep showing up.
this is fine. WITHIN LIMITS.
>>
I'm thinking of making a character that works with others, and is polite, but tends to keep others a arms length, due to losing close friends before.

Does this sound good or does it come off as edgy?
>>
>>49979802
Nah, it's fine. At worst he'll come off as a bit coldly professional.
>>
>>49977172
>and because the thief had repeatedly tried stealing his gold

Wow your group sounds like shit.
>>
>>49979814
That's what I was aiming for, though less cold and more reserved I guess.
Like the smiles there, but it doesn't reach his eyes type of deal.
>>
>>49976871
I mean, it's fine. I occasionally play lone wolf characters, but typically he works with the party for some reason. Some campaigns they all broke out of jail together, others, they all ended up together on a strange world. Either way, my character sticks with the group, because for now? He, and the group need eachother. Usually, either due to character development, or having another quest that's REAL IMPORTANT, he may even stay with the group.
>>
>>49979877
Still fine. Nothing wrong with a reserved character, as long as it's not intentionally without any emotion or character, but with hidden or subdued emotion or character.
>>
This shit isn't a problem with collaborative character creation.
>>
>>49979972
yeah, but you need a group on the right wavelength for that kind of chargen to work well.
>>
>>49975877
>Ok my new character is anarchic arsonist. He's with the party because Chaotic Neutral does whatever.
>>
>>49978693
It also generally makes for more interesting characters.

Too often I get players who dumbs charisma and instead tries to avoid rolling charisma in favour of so - called "roleplaying", or disregards Int rolls because he already knows OOC, or goes on investigations despite having shit wis and Int.

I just want players to have actual flaws, instead of those Mary sueish "My greatest flaw is that I am the best person in the world" flaws, or worse, the "i am clumsy which makes me cute, unless it is in a fight, in which case I am a graceful fighter"

And it is not difficult, people just want their perfect special snowflakes too often.

My current 5e party has:
>Nearsighted fighter who can't discern people from more than 10 meters away.
>Bard who gets panic attacks if she is alone, even more so if it is dark
>A Wizard who can't multitask to save his life, and cannot notice anything happening around him if he is focusing on something, including during a fight
>A druid who can't physically sleep in a building, and simply suffers from a severe case of insomnia if she tries.

It isn't all that much, but it just gives so much to the group dynamic, and gives them plenty of issues among themselves, rather than constantly throwing outside threats at them.

4 perfect adventurers might be *best* at saving the world, but also boring as fuck for the purpose of an actual roleplaying game.
>>
>>49977322
>t. lone wolf player
>>
>>49977563
I take it you left that group?
>>
>>49977833
That's actually not a flaw: it's more of a merit. Because, you know, splitting the party is Always a bad idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUMCIn2swTU
>>
File: Edmund.jpg (63KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Edmund.jpg
63KB, 1024x576px
>>49979802
As long as he's not as haughty as general Edmund
>>
>>49980228
As a GM, I love making retards who think like this sacrifice a fuckton of loot and lives.

The most hilarious is how obvious it should be. There are two groups that needs to be saved, but you either split up, or sacrifice one of the groups. The instead figure out who they want to sacrifice, and go save one of 5he groups, only to find 2 weak guys that had been a fairly easy fight for 2 of them, but turned into a stomp because they took the entire 5 man party there, instead of splitting up and saving both.
>>
File: 1471341446020.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1471341446020.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>49977322
>stir the ire of dozens

Or just one
>>
>>49980253
Nah he's like that dude at work that everyone talks to, but then later if they think about it, they're like "holy shit, I know fuck all about that guy".
There's one in every work place.
>>
>>49976871
"Hook your characters together during the collective brainstorm session" is a perfectly working solution. You don't need to contrive plot bullshit to make a gang of randoms that's at each others throat to work together.
You make a gang of misfits that hate each other with a group of players that you have very hard vetted and who all fully agreed to the premise for it's roleplaying value.

>One other idea I have for a game I'm going to run, is that the players are members of a caravan traveling across some really brutal terrain, and the caravan leader has taken a piece of their souls in exchange for getting them safely to the city on the other side.
That's some serious bullshit power level for a fucking caravan job.

I mean, high level adventurers guarding a transfer of an artefact of doom across not-mordor? Sure.
Trade caravan? Nah.
>>
>>49980264
>le shrug
Better safe than sorry.

Besides, you sound like one of those GMs with a mentality of 'GM vs Players' so I find it hard to believe that any group would like your games anywho.
>>
>>49976871
>What do you think is a good way to get players to stay and work together?
Include it as a requirement for character creation.

>you are all friends.
>come up with two significant shared life events (one designed mainly by you, one by the other guy) tying you to each other character in the group.
>each of you come up with something that brought the group closer together in some way. Shared peril, hardship, etc. How did your character take it. How did the other characters react?

And done.
>>
>>49980564
>Watching your best friend die in front of you
This could make recruiting new characters difficult.
>>
>>49976871
I manage it via the difficulty of encounters, generally. Every time the group has split up to do something, they've gotten in over their heads and only managed to survive by the skin of their teeth. Granted, I'm usually shooting for things to play out like that no matter what but when they're together they usually avoid coming so close to death through teamwork and clever thinking. It's taught them to stick together whenever possible.
>>
File: Mister Rogers Is Disappointed.png (464KB, 797x540px) Image search: [Google]
Mister Rogers Is Disappointed.png
464KB, 797x540px
>>49975735
Well we're playing a group game, so you should consider a different character archetype.
>>
>>49980595
New characters all also have ties to someone in the group, albeit with less ties.

Instead of your best friends, it's a guy one or two of the pcs worked with for a couple years who helped you out of a jam a few times.
>>
>>49976871
Everyone wants to be 1970s/1980s Wolverine
>>
>>49977833
A bit too far, I see it causing a lot of problems IC, but it is an original and interesting character. Would let in game and give hero points whenever it triggers.
>>
>>49980445
>GM vs Players
Not at all

I just hate players who seem to assume this, and constantly take ALL the precautions, even slowing down games to a screeching halt, because of some autistic "never split the party" spergtrip
>>
I try to play loner chars all the time but end up in directly leading the group or manipulation the groups "leader" - or better the groups character everyone else follows - to not make bullshit decisions. For once I would like to play a loner or a confirmist soldier who is just following orders.
No the autistic group dynamic in my group does not allow it.
Even if I build a npc with my char whos in charge, this npc will make murderous bullshit decisions that would kill everyone if I would follow them because of the autistic DM who can't handle character resources.
>>
>>49977680
It showed
>>
>>49978335
>And quite unlike the "my characters greatest flaw is his pride and never backing down from a fight he thinks he can win."
Oh man I'd have this guy get his face broken SO MANY TIMES.

Fuck those shitheads that think Valor 5 Conviction 5 is a free ride on "I do whatever the fuck I want and my literally buttfuck insane personality traits are no hindering me at all".
>>
>>49980781
It's your anecdotal experience vs mine. In my experience, whenever the party split up, something bad happened which could've been prevented.
>>
>>49980857
Or something bad happens because you refused to split the party for meta reasons.

Pick your poison.
>>
>>49978502
Just protect the squishies
The wizard, sorc, druid or rogue
>>
>>49978502
>>49980901

You can also, you know, actually talk with the other players and see who'd be cool with having the muscle be their personal muscle and start from there.
>>
>>49980882
If something bad happens either way and the players notice that, no matter what they do the outcome is the same, then the GM fucked up. Because the players noticed the rails they are on.

But yeah, it would be refreshing to actually be able to split the party without everything going to shit.
>>
>>49977563
>known theif
If you are thief and well known you did something wrong as a thief.
>>
>>49975735
>>49976871
I once played a "lone wolf" character who only STARTED that way but their whole character development revolved around becoming a team player and realizing the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!

I also DM'd a campaign where the player refused to have their character grow out of being a lone wolf then had the audacity to wonder why the party left him behind to go do stuff all the time. We didn't invite them back to the next session.
>>
>>49980781
Most people avoid splitting the party because it's not any fun to sit there with your thumbs up your ass while the DM deals with the different groups.
>>
>>49980901
>druid
>squishy

Rogue's gonna be upfront too.

Just stick to the classic nerd types.
>>
>>49980920
Hence why I make a point of never punishing a split of the party, but make obvious sacrifices when they decide to stick together.

The power gamer goes in the group with the most dangerous enemies, the other get some challenge requiring their skills. It works brilliantly, as it let's the rogue do his thing with skills, while the grizzled wizard walks all over a hard encounter, by himself, because he is min maxed to hell. Everybody wins, and no one gets left out of the fun.
>>
>>49980781
>even slowing down games to a screeching halt
>implying keeping the party together does this
>implying splitting the party doesn't do this

>you acted with caution therefore I hate you and will punish you for doing the smart thing
>>
honestly people should make characters directly connected to eachother pre-story more often

it works great.
>>
>>49981025
You would think this is common sense, right?
>>
>>49981025
I know. My first few games of Dnd started off such a mess. Everyone is way too awkward to start talking to strangers then it feels so forced when they do.
>>
>>49978502
Sounds like something you should discuss with your DM, so that he can design adventures with your guarding focus in mind. It shouldn't be difficult to design adventures with untrained NPCs you need to escort or situations where one might need to travel with you over a longer period.

For example, say you are tasked by the king to rescue the young prince, who has gone missing. When you find him, living with a veiled servant in a cottage hidden in the woods, the group is attacked by assassins who had tailed you to find the prince's hiding place. After the fight the servant (who may be mortally wounded, the DM was probably gunning for it but I know from experience that guard-themed characters throw a wrench in such plans) removes her veil and reveals herself as the current queen. She explains that the boy is the child of the former king, and the current one, who she married after the old king's death, wants the boy dead so that his own child will inherit the throne. Since you were able to protect him from the assassins, she tasks you with his safety and requests that you take him with you on your adventures, where he'll be away from the grasping schemes of her husband.
>>
>>49981025
One thing Fate does right is making bringing the party together part of the character creation process.
>>
When i played a game with my little sister, her 14 year old friend didnt want to work with her. It took some doing, but I got it through his head.
>>
>>49981013
>smart thing
Being overly cautious isn't smart, especially when it means deliberately sacrificing something or someone in the process.
>>
I play shadowrun, and the party gets split all the time.The trick is to keep your actions short, simple and entertaining... And to shoot out a camera or door to trigger an alarm every time the powergaming decker jacks in and starts a 30 minute host hack.

Seriously: If the other characters bore you that much: Find a new group. This is a social medium, there's no need to zone out and drool just 'cause the boring guy with a sword is doing things instead of your super-awesome mage.
>>
File: 1390054775517.jpg (16KB, 249x300px) Image search: [Google]
1390054775517.jpg
16KB, 249x300px
>Joining 5e game
>want to make drow character
>other players agree it might be cool
>Explicitly explain this will not be Drizzt chaotic good clone
>Party thinks it will be interesting
>Begin play.
>Party immediately angry when drow is confrontational and doesn't rush to everyone's aid
>MFW
>>
>>49981559
This.

Sorry, this isn't a single player game, and you won't have the spotlight all the time. Deal with it.
>>
>>49975735

> One player makes super optimised OP sleep/instant kill sorceror
> Blows through first encounter instantly because OP
> "Har har too easy"
> Encounters enemies that are immune to his specific flavour of insta-kill
> "What the hell fucking killer GM"
>>
>>49981644
>Invite players to join a Star Wars game with the PCs being members of Black Sun. Say it will be morally dark characters.
>get 4 players
>1 of them made an assassin sniper whose modus operandi is killing a ton of targets alongside his primary target, just to throw off investigation.
>the last 3 made good characters, 2 force sensitive, who are "working in Black Sun to make the organisation a better place, and work towards the better of the galaxy."
>they spend the entire first session figuring out ways to prevent the assassin from doing anything
Come the fuck on man.
>>
File: 1473427354060.png (55KB, 764x806px) Image search: [Google]
1473427354060.png
55KB, 764x806px
>>49975735
>my character likes to make single line of greentext threads
>>
>>49981740
Some people can't do non-good characters, I have learned this.
>>
>>49981842
Then you don't fucking join games explicitly requiring evil or morally black characters
>>
>>49981885
>REEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm joking, I hate it as well, but you just keep running into people doing this sort of thing.
>>
>>49980440

If the landscape is dangerous enough that you can't get across it alone, and organized trips are few and far between, I could see it working. But there would have to be some serious threats and environmental hazards, not just your average walk with wolf attacks and kobolds.
>>
File: kb.png (89KB, 381x315px) Image search: [Google]
kb.png
89KB, 381x315px
>My character is myself
>I was transported to the setting via a magical portal
>>
>>49982020
Still, fucking with souls is about 8th circle of spells; that's 16 levels caster. You'd be a few levels lower, but not by much.

That means starting campaign at ~14 level and having a caravan that's big enough deal to attract threats on the scale of adult dragons.
>>
File: The chance are meagre sir.png (68KB, 230x252px) Image search: [Google]
The chance are meagre sir.png
68KB, 230x252px
>>49982099
>>I was transported to the setting via a magical portal
>>
>>49981842
I can play evil characters, but not those kind that kills people because it is omoshiroi.
>>
>>49982100

Caravan leader probably would probably be a higher level NPC, so player character levels could be far lower.

A smaller group would be able to move more quickly and would attract less attention.
>>
>>49982340
With that big level disparity, what makes the high level caravan master give a shit about stuff that newbs are sufficient protection for?
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 251x172px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 251x172px
>That guy who brings the same exact deviant art tier OC to every game and every setting
>>
>>49982128
>I was transported to the setting via a magical portal
I've seen that work well at least once. Guy wasn't playing himself though.
>>
>>49982402
>Im gonna be playing a dragonborn
>Heres my character
>>
>>49982414
That's. ..not far off from the pictures of sorcerer dragonborn from the official material.

Make it a bard and I wouldn't even bat an eye.
>>
>>49981644
You do need to provide good cause for the other characters not to leave town without telling you or to tie you up alongside the road and leave you there.

If you don't, eventually the other characters or their players will resent your character.
>>
>>49982444
Or the player for trying to ruin the fun they were supposed to have
>>
>>49982441
>I also decided to go dragonborn
>>
>>49982465
Now you are just being dumb.
>>
>>49982099
I had someone want to do that in an Infinite Worlds game once. The rest of the party was made up of two warriors that made Conan and Rambo look like little kids, a wizard and a superhero. And he wanted to be just himself.
Oddly after telling him OK but only if the others made his sheet and not himself, he changed his mind.
>>
>>49982354

Hm. Good question. The could be doing these trips for their own reasons. Maybe a member of a longer-lived race with nothing else to do? Or they actually like guiding people across the dangerous landscape?

Or maybe they're secretly God of the Roads or God of the Lost and they're kinda an asshole and they take adventurers out there abandon them to their fates and make off with their souls?

If travel to the far side isn't common, the caravan leader wouldn't even take a big reputation hit when all those adventurers go missing. Who would know really, that they never made it?

And as for the party, well, it makes for an interesting survival quest and they have an antagonist to seek out later, maybe. I dunno, still gotta think about this.
>>
My group just kicked out an player who played an unbalanced OP built character with a convoluted backstory that they insisted impacted the main story of the game.

It was an instance of gm's girlfriend so bad even the gm had to put their foot down. Partially because the player wouldn't explain anything about her characters backstory
>>
>>49982459
Or the DM to see this happening and decide your character needs to die.
>>
>>49977322
t. Hanzo main
>>
>>49982354
Protecting the wagons. Even a high-level character can still only be in one place at a time. It's better to have some warm bodies guarding all the sides to keep things from running off with something or damaging the caravan while he's responding to the biggest threat.
>>
>>49982734
I grow tired of waiting.
>>
>>49980901
>>49980912
So far we've loosely agreed on my character protecting the wizard, but she doesn't really need my character's protection and is fairly confident in herself. It's not just an in-battle thing, more like a Secret Service kind of bodyguard.

>>49981198
That might work, though as much as my character would want to be a guard, it might be a hindrance to the rest of the party to have to babysit a child. The GM might throw a macguffin at us anyway, so I'll talk with him.
>>
>>49982099
What is this, a 80s fantasy novel?
>>
>>49982465
That's a kobold with wings and a wig
>>
>>49985337
What is this, a 2016 fantasy anime?
>>
>>49980935
You know what would have made the hobbit better? The dwarves stamping bilbo's head in on their first meeting because thieves need to all die.

Actually no that would have sucked. Burglars/thieves/rogues are fine if they're working with the party. If they start stealing /fucking over the party you can cut their hands off.
>>
>>49979582
>"They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy."
>"What a-holes."
>>
>>49981740
>>they spend the entire first session figuring out ways to prevent the assassin from doing anything
And things (probably) went better than expected.
>>
File: face of contempt.gif (974KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
face of contempt.gif
974KB, 500x281px
>>49975735
Another shitty one is when
>that guy wants to play a character who is secretly evil and plots to kill the party

I want to spit in his eye
>>
>>49978302
my favorite method i heard of is to have every player come up with one reason their character knows at least one other character.
that way even if PC A doesnt know PC C, PC A knows PC B who knows PC C, and it makes some common ground
>>
>>49986042
Meanwhile I've played openly-evils who are more antihero than villain, and have more than once kept the party from doing something reaaaaally fucking stupid
>>
>>49987099
My favorite method is doing away with this "you meet in a tavern" bullshit.
No, you're in a dark and damp dungeon, there's half a dozen skeletons shambling toward the group. What do you do? You can make shit up about how you met later.
>>
>>49975735
>The Apothecary only has potions strong enough to kill a dragon

Why do DMs do this?
>>
File: SkepticalOrk.jpg (222KB, 631x848px) Image search: [Google]
SkepticalOrk.jpg
222KB, 631x848px
>>49987126
It can work, however I find it difficult to justify my character actually working together with the party if there's an evil guy committing evil deeds openly.
>>
>>49976871
>It sorta feels like one of the unspoken rules of the game, that the characters will stay together and quest together, and not just break up at the first argument over who's got first watch

It's that way for me. No matter what character I make they always try to get along with the party, even if I need to metagame a little to do it by having a character that's a bad person still try to get along with the party.
>>
>>49980781
>>49980445
Splitting the party slows things down and makes it less fun in my experience, because it is harder to keep both groups engaged at the same time then.
>>
>>49975735
>Play a ninja once

>Get the idea to scout ahead steathfully so the group can be prepared for what's ahead in the next few rooms.

>Discussing it with the group they agree, and do other things like eat, rest, etc.

>GM then says "Your ninja gets killed", with no explanation what so ever because not adhering to the "Don't split the party" meme was a cardinal sin.
>>
File: idgaf.jpg (51KB, 562x730px) Image search: [Google]
idgaf.jpg
51KB, 562x730px
>>49986042
/r/equesting the screencap of the 40k deathwatch game with one player as an alpha legion infiltrator

or alternatively the screencap where an alpha legion dreadnought pretends to be a tractor.
>>
>>49987126
>>49986042
The most evil character I played was one I made for what I thought was a mostly evil campaign due to my friend that invited me to the group playing a necromancer, but he was only neutral.

My one rule for him was that he wouldn't go against the party, for meta reasons of not wanting to get in the way or step on anyone's toes.

He wasn't evil in the conventional sense, but he designed as a Masked Wrestling Heel, the kind of person you root against so he had NO redeeming qualities. He was mean, petty, smug, ugly, cowardly, dumb and had poor hygiene. He was just a bad guy, but due to having no limits for depravity he never had any problem with anything the party did, allowing them to act on their more evil impulses without any issue.

He was the most evil character I ever played, because he was poisonous. The worst thing about him is that he made other people like himself.
>>
>>49987335
>>GM then says "Your ninja gets killed", with no explanation what so ever because not adhering to the "Don't split the party" meme was a cardinal sin.
that's gay mayn
>>
>>49987181
>>49987126
I've played lawful and neutral evils that were well integrated in the group.

In one the groups we all worked for an LN church of civilization. LG paladin. I made an LE character who did the churches dirty work. The paladin didn't like it, but he would leave so he wouldn't see what I did, because everything I did was what his God wanted, for the greater good. I just happened to enjoy doing it. He'd wander off muttering things about greater good and mysterious ways while gritting his teeth.

When we needed to interrogate someone and conventional means aren't working, the party would leave the room and I'd bust out the torture. When there was N aligned or G aligned character who was misguidedly causing a great deal of harm to civilization, if they couldn't convince him to stop, I would be the one to silence him.

That was a fun campaign.
>>
>>49980970
For me it's the opposite, usually splits happen because of a conflict of interest happens between the PCs.

I don't want to sit around with my thumb up my ass while the DM and a party member chat about shit I don't care about in or out of character for hours because I can't leave and do something else.
>>
>>49978693
>>49980174
My current group has
>an illiterate functionally retarded Ent Vampire
>Kobold Mad Scientist that isn't the ugliest person the universe, but probably in the top 50 (Out of trillions)
>Ghost Alcoholic with Amnesia

The funny thing is that the retarded Ent is nominally the party leader.
>>
File: 126546305.png (156KB, 576x540px) Image search: [Google]
126546305.png
156KB, 576x540px
>>49987375
>thinking that physical torture gets you anywhere

Your GM really WAS clueless, wasn't he?
>>
>>49981473
>DM tries to pull this
>Just shrug and get the names wrong and tell them you don't really care since it's just a game anyway

Nothing gets back at DMs like being uninvested. If you are chill and not annoying when you do it, the other players will even take your side if the DM lashes out at you.
>>
>>49987494
Use magic to make sure it's true of course.
>>
>>49987494
For most people it does, you have to be trained specifically to resist torture.

And even then very few people have it in them to resist pain for a long period of time.
>>
>>49987494
you've never actually been tortured
>>
File: smile and optimism.png (259KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
smile and optimism.png
259KB, 640x480px
>run LMoP with group of newbies
>fair mix of alignments, one each of LG, CG CN (actually played alright)
>...and one CE
>CE does stupid bullshit literally because they're told not to
>almost gets both themselves and the party killed (stealing from a wizard's ghost and triggering a cave-in respectively)
>this is grating everybody, especially the CG and the DM
>reaching the end of LMoP, going to transition into SKT
>DM says people who want to roll up a new character can do so and bring them in at level 5 for SKT
>everyone decides they'll try a new character
>...except the CE shithead
>>
>>49987494
Speak With Dead never lies.
>>
File: 1448550767586.jpg (26KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1448550767586.jpg
26KB, 600x375px
>>49987533
>not using magic to charm them or read their minds
You just like to be evil for evil's sake, which is a lot more uninspired than what I originally thought.

>>49987546
>thinking I was referring to being trained to resist pain
Nope

I am referring to people who don't know what the fuck you are asking them and, since you are convinced that they know, will then start telling you what they think that you want to know in order to make you stop the torture.

>>49987630
>assuming 5e
>Answers are usually brief, cryptic, or repetitive, and the corpse is under no compulsion to offer a truthful answer if you are hostile to it or it recognizes you as an enemy.
>>
>>49987735
>not using magic to charm them or read their minds

The mind is man's last respite, using magic to influence it is wrong.
>>
File: dnd play.jpg (66KB, 831x445px) Image search: [Google]
dnd play.jpg
66KB, 831x445px
>>49987735
>assuming 5e
>>
>>49987565
Fortunately not.

Also, the reason that many people were burned/killed in so-called witch hunts was because they were tortured into confessing something that they didn't do.

Physical torture<<<<<<<<Psychological torture
Sure, physical torture is a lot quicker but also a heck of a lot more unreliable.

I read an awesome thread about how to actually torture a person psychologically and physically in such a way that they will gladly answer you in such a way that you know that they're telling the truth.
>>
File: 1565498136.jpg (54KB, 563x587px) Image search: [Google]
1565498136.jpg
54KB, 563x587px
>>49987785
Are you memeing for the sake of memeing or are you actually referring to another system with that spell?
>>
File: wat.png (128KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
128KB, 500x281px
>>49987771
But tearing out their nails, putting salt and scalding irons in their wounds is fine right?
>>
>>49987797
Plenty of games have that spell or similar, Dungeons the Dragoning 40k for instance.
>>
>>49977322
Awooooooooo
>>
>>49987826
Yes. Do unto others what you would want others do to you.
>>
>>49987836
Speak with dead is generally a D&D game and it says that it doesn't have to be truthful.

I digress: we were talking about torture, not about speaking with dead. Speak with dead is not inherently evil.
Gouging someone's eye out with a rusty spoon is, however.
>>
>>49987872
It isn't inherently evil, you ethnocentric racist.
>>
File: 126546308.gif (199KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
126546308.gif
199KB, 200x200px
>>49987851
Spoken like a true uninspired
>DEUS VULT
mastermemer. Good job!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>49981644
>intentionally making a character that doesn't want to be a team player
>but I warned them so it's okay!
You're baiting, right? People will often say something's okay because they don't want to be confrontational; people with social competence should know what is and isn't going to work well in a group setting.
>>
Whenever I run a game, I try to make sure that everyone in the party at least has a common connection. I'm going out on a limb and not forcing my players to have their characters be pre-existing allies.

Why is it that players instinctively want to all do their own thing? D&D is a team game in which the only way to win is by having fun as a group. Especially people who not only insist on their own individual, non-connective backstory, but then want to play a quiet/loner type character. The only way you're going to end up being party of the party is either breaking character completely, or forcing me as a GM to hamfistedly carry you along.
>>
>>49987889
what?
>>
File: getoutandstayout.jpg (42KB, 468x376px) Image search: [Google]
getoutandstayout.jpg
42KB, 468x376px
>>49987889
>>
File: 1477081487887.gif (169KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1477081487887.gif
169KB, 300x169px
>Group makes characters separately
>Decide to make a normal dude turned prophet for his people who has a few inbuilt biases from his upbringing
>Doesn't like the rich because he was a refugee and poverty stricken
>Doesn't like arcane casters because the homeland of his people was bombed by them
>Certainly not fond of the Inquisitor tier religion that runs the lands they moved to
>Also not fond of Thugs, because mercenaries used to come through the Refugee camp now and then and basically shit things up
>Has no problems with anyone else, not even priests of evil aligned gods or evil races because hey, he's been persecuted in the past for being 'a heretic' right
Rest of the party?
Noblewoman.
Witch.
Paladin of that one Goddess (Out of Dozens of options)
Pirate Captain that out and out proclaims he lives the Thug Lyfe.

Sometimes you don't plan to be the Lone Wolf, the Lone Wolf just chooses you.
>>
>>49987344
That story still makes me prone towards violence. Like, goddamn.
>>
File: 126546306.png (23KB, 333x260px) Image search: [Google]
126546306.png
23KB, 333x260px
>>49988178
I'm so glad that you show how knowledgeable you are with all these counterarguments.

>>>/trash/
>>
>>49977680
>>49977381
>>49977244
>>49975877
>>49975735
>the full extent of /tg/'s roleplaying experience
>>
>>49988268
It was made up
>>
>>49977629
>t. Gavrilo Princip
Of course, that could also be an interesting campaign. The day before your execution your group is busted out by members of the actual Resistance, and from there it's a terrorist campaign where you try to live up to your name, or you have a falling out with the rebels and you need to avoid both them and the establishment while you make your way down guns blazing to fantasy Mexico.
>>49982553
God of Keeping the Party Together. His divine punishment is years of not finding another group to roleplay.
>>
>>49987735
I am not the anon you're responding to, it was my character example.

Speak with dead came up.
Truth spells that stop them from lying, and then torture to make them talk came up.
It was Pathfinder, in 2011.
>>
>>49988574
And in pf, speak with dead, they have to be truthful (but can be as brief or cryptic as possible) unless they pass a will save
>>
Rolled 3, 3 = 6 (2d5)

of cours
>>
>>49977322
t. loner player
>>
File: dreadlord[1].gif (18KB, 161x196px) Image search: [Google]
dreadlord[1].gif
18KB, 161x196px
>>49982947

Heard it in this voice instead
>>
>>49975735
>new to tabletop
>know it's a co-op time game
>set my characters personality up in a way that will give them a reason to try hard to get along and help the party
>mvp a few encounters by not playing like a tard and save the party a few times
>character keeps trying to help and get along with everyone
>party is indifferent
>situation comes up where my character really, really needs help
>everyone does fuck all because "their character wouldn't do that"
>character has to deal with it himself and things go terribly
>character is now a jaded asshole who will let these fucks die the first chance he gets
please enjoy
>>
File: od7ygIm.jpg (60KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
od7ygIm.jpg
60KB, 479x720px
>>49986042
One of my DMs asked me to do this with my character.

I said I would, but when it comes up I'm betraying him instead.
>>
>>49989305
Are you me?
>make character that functions as the party glue
>everything he does is for his comrades
>get constantly berated
>get mocked
>get called a criminal for opening a bank by two murderous and thieving PCs
>get called incompotent from a man that keeps getting indebted to maniacal criminal empires after I manage to gather up legitimate funds and stock from the aformentioned bank
>>
>>49981763
>I hate that this thread dares to exist, and I'm going to express my disdain in the most passive-aggressive manner possible
>>
>>49989305
>please enjoy
Does that mean your about to tell a story?
>>
I unironically tried this as an excuse to mostly sit and watch for the first session since I'm new to roleplaying

It turned no one in the party could make up their minds on what the fuck we should do when the time of combat came so my nominally apathetic and cowardly shortsword-wielding Rogue character ended dueling one of the BBEG's minions (the first and so far only one we've met, also probably the strongest thing we've fought so far) because I was getting kind of irked that no one was trying to kill him rather than his thralls

So far this has been a constant and while I've gotten better at selling the "coward" part my character is usually the first to Leeroy Jenkins into danger when I feel the group is taking too long to take a choice
>>
>>49989570
>Are you me?
Yes I am
>>
>>49978335
In the 5e game I'm playing right now, someone brought a character who's major flaw is literally cannot stop sucking dicks. I don't know why the DM didn't veto it, but he noticed too late. It's the worst possible variation of "won't back down from a fight" because it ends in the party in jail for sexual assault.
>>
>>49987630
Even if you are playing an edition where Speak with Dead has to tell the truth, it doesn't mean the dead can't be dicks and really vague about it.

There's not really a whole lot you could do to force them to give you a straight answer either. What are you going to do? Torture them? kill them? they're already dead.
>>
>>49988574
You're getting it mixed up: first we were talking about torture and I said that physical torture is not very effective and THEN speak with dead came up.

Which is not really torture and doesn't count as evil at all.
>>
>>49978335
>And quite unlike the "my characters greatest flaw is his pride and never backing down from a fight he thinks he can win."
"I will scuttle any attempts at diplomacy or strategy and will force everybody in the group to scramble to accommodate my character's actions, making everything about me all the time."

Those fuckers need a bullet to the back of the head. Basically the problem is that everybody else metagames in a good way to keep the party together and preserve the adventure, while "I'm just acting in character" guy hijacks the game.
>>
>>49995487
No no, I was responding to both of you.

My character tortured them to make them talk (while they were under magic to prevent them from lying), and on occasion used speak with dead when that failed and he got the okay to kill them to question their corpse.

And the evil part was that he loved his job and looked forward to making people suffer for the church.
>>
>>49985877
Bilbo wasn't a thief when he joined thorin company. He just got fucked over by gandalf
>>
>>49995760
>My character tortured them to make them talk
And I still think that your GM was too pandering on you. There aren't only members of cults that know everything about the leaders, you know?

There are also organizations where some people don't know shit about who organizes it all and who is responsible. Then you are just torturing them without getting answers because they don't know shit.

Besides that, enchanting someone to tell the truth is just as easy as casting a friend or a command/suggestion spell.

I still mantain that your character is sadistic and uninspired. Literally evil just for the sake of being evil.
>>
>>49995817
Eh. It was a nice change of pace.

And yes, sometimes the guy legitimately didn't know anything.

The whole campaign sortof had a "the borgias" tone to it, except with actual divine communications and magic.
>>
>>49980253
what is this from?
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.