[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/ OSR General - Lizardmen Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 35

File: Obedient_Salamander_Radiation.jpg (459KB, 2662x2256px) Image search: [Google]
Obedient_Salamander_Radiation.jpg
459KB, 2662x2256px
>Trove
Main trove:
aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56LyNGITd4ZEdVRGFSIURBSGplbC0wN0VxX19LZEpBSFBnWHc=

>Links
http://pastebin.com/DJ1pUKjb

>Discord Server
https://discord.gg/qaku8y9

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Webtools - Help contribute by suggesting more.
http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Previous thread:
>>49915259

THREAD QUESTION
>Do you like playable monster races? Where do you draw the line?
>>
>>49969903
I barely like having demi-humans at all these days. But when I do I see no reason not to have a few monster races that would be reasonable to have walking around. But I prefer human-centric stuff with other races being particularly exotic in thought process and culture, and they would be hard to roleplay for my players in particular who are often dense.
>>
>>49969087
1. Look up detect magic's "Cinematic Fighting". Has some stuff about letting fights escalate when people miss. Missing becomes dangerous in itself.

2. Talk to your players, tell them the rules of your game. Stuff you put there are meant to be (catiously) interacted with.
>>
File: Kenku.png (1MB, 1167x1654px) Image search: [Google]
Kenku.png
1MB, 1167x1654px
I love playable monster races. I like to reskin the base classes into new ones, often demi-humans. Like this Kenku for LotFP.

That said, I also prefer a more DCC approach to things and like my games a bit gonzo. As much as I love LotFP's macabre vibe, it's hard for me to personally pull off effectively at the table. The more I play lately, the more I want to go back to DCC.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnrCdsicThk

This is the inspiration for your next setting. What is it like?
>>
>>49970434
The Napoleonic Wars but in a universe where the celestial beings hate us almost as much as demonic beings do but for different reasons.
>>
File: LOTFP Blood in the Chocolate.jpg (135KB, 785x1079px) Image search: [Google]
LOTFP Blood in the Chocolate.jpg
135KB, 785x1079px
oh those whacky edgelords
>>
>>49970805
Whacky edge is great! All their modules have at least been edgy to the point of looping back into funny or have been genuinely weird or creepy.
>>
File: broodmother sky fortress.jpg (217KB, 621x865px) Image search: [Google]
broodmother sky fortress.jpg
217KB, 621x865px
>>49970846
>Whacky edge is great!

it sure is
>>
>>49970805
>not Weilheim Wonkerkin's Confectionery Crematorium
>>
>>49970434
Berserk
>>
File: Broodmother_p41display.jpg (117KB, 420x595px) Image search: [Google]
Broodmother_p41display.jpg
117KB, 420x595px
>>49970893
The art for this one is looking crazy awesome.
>>
File: Untitled.png (469KB, 725x1028px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
469KB, 725x1028px
>>49970260
>I like to reskin the base classes into new ones, often demi-humans

I like to play a game where I can reskin this as a Goblin Ratkeeper.
>>
File: lotfpclasses.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
lotfpclasses.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49971125
I made those!
>>
>>49969903
Usually not, at least not as default starting options. Maybe if a player character dies and they have had a certain degree of interaction with members of a species, but usually I would prefer to keep inhuman creatures as alien as possible.
>>
File: GMG5070WCoverLarge.jpg (162KB, 300x407px) Image search: [Google]
GMG5070WCoverLarge.jpg
162KB, 300x407px
Thoughts/Opinions on DCC? Seems divisive due to it's basis being 3.5, funky dice and having so many tables.

I love it. My group has never had more fun at the table than with spellcasting gone wrong, halfling dyers parasailing into an abyss or Mighty Deeds fucking shit up in combat.

It DOES kinda suck that the Crawlers Companion app is almost mandatory in order to speed up gameplay, but the fact that it still works parallel with physical dice rolls makes that a-ok in my book.
>>
>>49972812
I wouldn't call the app necessary. I've run and played numerous games and only just remembered it because you mentioned it. Everyone in my group knows what they need to know, we have multiple books, all that.

Fully agree with it being fun as hell though.
>>
File: chapelnave.jpg (2MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
chapelnave.jpg
2MB, 3000x4000px
>>49964466
It just started up, actually. Speaking of which, just a reminder that the next session of the /osrg/ open table will be this Sunday, from 2:30pm PDT/5:30pm EDT/9:30 UTC. Contact Stagehand on the Discord or Roll20 for details.
>>
>>49971255
I downloaded it from last thread. Make more monster classes, dammit.
>>
>>49972812
I'm waiting for the new printing. I'm a fan of randomization and the tone, I think this system will be a lot of fun.
>>
File: morrigan.gif (534KB, 351x347px) Image search: [Google]
morrigan.gif
534KB, 351x347px
>>49972812
I'm a whore for simplicity and streamlining so DCC isn't my cuppa tea. I can understand the allure of options and tables but I wanna spend my time at the table playing the game, not reading about it.
>>
>>49972812
Liked it a lot when I read it. Switched to it in my campaign from LotFP. It comes with a new slew of problems that I didn't expect, and I can't say yet whether it's stuff me and my group can get past or if I have to give up on it.
I think mighty deeds are great and my players don't like vancian magic so that's good too. Fumble and critical tables I'm already finding to be uninteresting though. Mercurial + magic is a lot of stuff to think about even with the app. Getting experience doesn't seem to be as fulfilling. Also, just the general "flimsiness" of some rules (because they assume you already know how to do things and don't bother with certain things) irk me a bit.
But on the whole I think I like it. Will probably merge the parts I like with LotFP at some point.
>>
>>49969087
>1. How do I make combat more interesting? Especially the ones that just tend to drag on, miss after miss? Our LotFP hexcrawl last night had only 2 encounters and both seemed to take a fucking eternity.
Allow and encourage players to make shit up instead of just "I hit him". Oh, you want to dive over the table, stab the goblin on the other side and then crouch down for cover? Sure, roll a regular attack roll and if you hit you also get cover this round. Swinging in a chandelier? Sure, -1 to hit but +3 damage if you do. Et cetera.

Also keep in mind that even if the players whiff every blow, a round takes like one-tenth of the time to play out in B/X as it does in 3.X or god forbid 4E (I like 4E, but it's slooooowwww).

>2. How do I get my players to stop being huge pussies? It's one thing to be cautious and another entirely to avoid interaction with everything suspicious or interesting they come across.
Dial down the lethality of all the stuff.
Normally the advice from /osrg/ is to crank it up, but that's for when you're dealing with HERPTYDERP bumblefucks who try to eat everything. If they're scared of everything instead, that means you have to make it a bit safer. In most cases there's a way to keep the interesting part of an item or event while making it less deadly.

You shouldn't remove ALL the save-or-dies, of course. Once in a while someone should still get instakilled.
>>
>>49969903
yes, honestly I really don't get the appeal of settings limited to just the standard set of Demi-Humans(those kinds of settings tend to be bland), or god forbid Human Only settings, those ones are almost always so boring and low-fantasy in nature that there's often no real point in them even being fantasy settings in the first place instead of Historical

as for where I draw the line, pretty much anything as long as it's under ~20 feet in height, is capable of communication(and thus is sentient), and isn't something like a pure-bred Angel or Demon(or other Outsider), being of humanoid form and/or having hands is optimal but not a hard requirement

>>49970260
>>49971125
>>49971255
I like the way you guys think
>>
>>49972812
>Thoughts/Opinions on DCC?
My main problem with it is it's large as all fuckoff and still isn't a complete game. As >>49973535
points out, there's a ton of stuff they just cheap out on giving rules for because they figure nobody would ever buy their game who hadn't already played either B/X or 3E. And sure, okay, probably the majority have. But every one of those missing rules isn't just a hole in the book, it's a missed opportunity. And yet the book's the size of a presentation Bible. What the fuck?
>>
>>49972895
>Contact Stagehand on the Discord or Roll20 for details.

How the heck do you search for a specific user on Roll20?
>>
>>49973757
Examples? Despite the arbitrary nature of skills (d20 if knowledgeable, d10 if not) most everything needed seems covered thoroughly.
>>
File: adventuring party.png (262KB, 469x592px) Image search: [Google]
adventuring party.png
262KB, 469x592px
Hey TroveGuy and CUTT-guy, I have a small supplement for Labyrinth Lord that I don't see in the trove. Pic related, it's all about cartoon animals exploring dungeons and dying horribly, with a smattering of puns thrown in for good measure.
http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1477527214
>>
>>49973669
I disagree that human-only setting have to be inherently stodgy and no fun allowed; it's just that the majority of people who want human-only games play it that way.
>>
>>49974989

I never knew I wanted this.
>>
>>49975863

Isn't Tekumel human-only, and weird as fuck?
>>
>>49975863
well I didn't mean ALL human only settings, just most I've seen for OSR(heck a lot of them seem designed to make it hard to justify playing as anything besides Fighters and maybe Thieves)

really wish we had more OSR settings that go full Mystara/Known World/Hollow World levels of Gonzo in terms of races
>>
>Running a LotFP campaign where the players are settling a territory and building a trading post/fortress.
>Put an ancient barbarian burial ground about a mile away, expecting them to go murderhobo grave robbing.
>Underestimated them, they investigate it, but leave all the treasure alone, saying it wouldn't be right to mess with it.
>They clear the whole tomb of evils and have druids come bless it each day, to remove the taint.
>They actually set up a road to it, and hire guards to watch over it, now they're talking about unearthing it and making a monument out of it to honor the noble savages that once claimed this place as their home.

I'm actually caught off guard by this, and think that it's interesting and creative (considering how most if the time, they literally just steal everything and piss on every upturned stone.) How do you think I should work with this?

I want to reward them in such a way that suggests I'd like them to do things like this in the future, as opposed to the standard "Steal and kill everything, and never look back" method.
>>
>>49972812
>I love it. My group has never had more fun at the table...
theres your awnser - as long as you and your friends are enjoying it what does it matter what we say?
>>
>>49976468
Involve the descendants of the barbarians in some way- they just had a random band of what would normally be looters not just cleanse the resting place of their ancestors, but also take no 'reward' from the possessions of their relatives while doing it?

What ever barbarian tribe was using that mound to bury their dead will be super grateful to the players, if not indebted- perhaps have some of the barbarians help this fortress as labor or mercenaries at a good discount for a while- it rewards the players and gives you a way to deliver future plot hooks through the troubles of the barbarian tribes.
>>
>>49976603
God, why didn't I think of that? I guess I got caught up in them being dead for so long that it didn't completely occur to me that the descendants of the tribe would still be around.

I think I'll do it like this,
>Some barbarians have been seen on the outskirts of your claimed territory.
>Workers have said they look rough and fierce.
>Really play it up like these big barbarians are gonna come ass fuck them in their sleep
>Start rumors that they are probably pissed that someone entered their ancestor's tomb
>Then, suddenly have the barbarians show up and have them explain that they are indebted to the party
>Have them feast with the players, then help build their fortress or work as guards.
>The barbarians give them servantgirls and prime breeding wives before leaving, as a thank you, and a means permanently unifying their trust.
>>
File: 1d100_monster_class.jpg (495KB, 1280x1810px) Image search: [Google]
1d100_monster_class.jpg
495KB, 1280x1810px
>>49969903

i'll take whatever, just fuck me up
>>
File: eocover.jpg (65KB, 600x469px) Image search: [Google]
eocover.jpg
65KB, 600x469px
If you could take three elements of DCC and plug them into a simpler system (like LotFP) which three would they be and why? Bonus points for "how?"
>>
>>49973876
This is him: https://app.roll20.net/users/1532559/stagehand
>>
>>49977344
Mighty Deeds
Spell Duels
Dunno about anything else.
>>
>>49977344
Dice based spellcasting is the biggest thing for me. I would probably not include patron/diety stuff to keep it simpler. May/may not keep spellburn or turn it into spellburn lite. I honestly like running spellburn lite in these games because it makes being a level 1 magic user suck less.

I like deeds, but not sure they fit well in every game.

I'd probably take some of the silly racial stuff like smelling gold or passing luck around. I like kinda zany things like that.
>>
File: tumblr_o4as1zWwdq1sndzdgo1_540.jpg (122KB, 540x608px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4as1zWwdq1sndzdgo1_540.jpg
122KB, 540x608px
>>49977344
1. Mighty Deeds (already converted this for my LotFP hack 'Ruinations'). Because it makes being a Warrior/Fighter cooler.
2. Spellcasting (I'd just use DCCs rules) because once-a-day casting is lame and I like spell corruption.
3. Luck Burning (I kinda like the Luck attribute) because I like having a reservoir to draw from when shit is getting real.
>>
>>49976185
Not really, there are some half-dozen playable alien species, among them lizardmen, insectoids, molemen, bat-men, and a couple of more unusual species.

The setting is heavily anthropocentric though, with most aliens regarded as second-class citizens across the five empires.
>>
File: spider.jpg (287KB, 774x1085px) Image search: [Google]
spider.jpg
287KB, 774x1085px
What's the dealio with the troves?
>>
>>49978049
Base64
>>
>>49972812
Good in theory but the shitty dice and constant fucking referencing of the giant book kills it for me.
>>
>>49977344
Im already doing this.

Ive stolen mighty deeds, Corruption, crit and fumble tables, luck stat, and probaly some other shit ive forgotten.

All of it very pared down, except mighty deeds which remains largely unchanged. Tables are squished down into single d12 tables. Luck gives luck points to be used on re-rolls n' shit.
>>
File: Crit Hit Table.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Crit Hit Table.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49979083
I've been using these crit/fumble tables in LotFP, minus the text page talking about percentile adjustments. Just straight d100 rolls.
>>
File: Underdark4.jpg (76KB, 922x486px) Image search: [Google]
Underdark4.jpg
76KB, 922x486px
>>49976346
One of the reasons I like underground adventures is that you can have the "normal" upper world above, and then the Underworld, where all sorts of crazy shit goes on. I was even thinking about running Dyson's Delve as the beginning of a "Journey to the Center of the Earth" kind of underground hexcrawl.
>>
>>49973613
>Allow and encourage players to make shit up instead of just "I hit him".
I think a good method is to always follow up a "I hit him" with a "How?". Force some flavor and descriptions before allowing the roll.
>>
>>49976783
You could always spin it later with some of the descendants breaking of from the others and claim that exorcising the burial ground was sacrilege. Now you get both yout initial surprise as well as an antagonist. 6
>>
One of these days I'd love to make an OSR game called "The Filthy Lucre", just because I love the shit out of that title, only problem I'd have making this is that I'd fear I'd be extremely derivative of literally every other OSR game.
>>
>>49979116

Boner achieved.
>>
>>49980324
You could always make a house rule compilation and call it that.
>>
>>49980324
>I'd fear I'd be extremely derivative of literally every other OSR game.
Isn't that what all retroclones do?
>>
>>49980324
>>49980684
I did what this guy said.
Even though I've houseruled LotFP so as to be almost an entirely new ruleset, I'd feel dishonest about calling it my own game. Especially since a lot of the houserules are adaptations of shit from other OSR products/blogs.
I have put a lot of work in to making it cohesive and I'm sure a lot of people would argue I could put it out as my own game but...I dunno. I guess I just have chronic imposter syndrome.
>>
File: Thracia 1.png (353KB, 714x952px) Image search: [Google]
Thracia 1.png
353KB, 714x952px
I've got a question about Caverns of Thracia.

The map scale is "1 inch = 40 ft", but i have a problem: I only have the pdf, so I'm not sure how to measure the inch on the map. What format was this printed in?
At first I thought that each square on the paper was one inch, but then I did the math (I'm not really used at thinking in terms of inches and feet so I have to convert everything mentally) and realized that would be fucked up. I doubt they printed this so huge.

Anyone can give me a good clue as to how big are these squares on the map? Thinking of going with "each square is 3m or 10ft", sounds right?
>>
>>49981508
Probably printed on 8.5in x 11in so the squares would be 10ft squares.
>>
>>49980324
>>49981429
Just cite your sources/inspirations. It's not like anyone can reasonably bitch you out for doing exactly what they're doing.
>>
How much i hate crit/fumble tables. I fucking love randomization but these are complete horseshit.
Every 20 hits in a fight an experienced fighter does something disastrous like critical hit himself or fall over? No way!
Likewise a 0-level mook having a 5% chance per hit to critically hit and do something disastrous to a legendary sword master?
If a professional mma/whatever-fighter fights a normal person, there is an absolutely predictable outcome.
>>
>>49977344
1. Mighty deeds. No idea how to though since the mighty deed die evolves so fast between levels. Maybe by making it a skill?

2. Spellcasting. I'd simplify it a bit, maybe only have three magical effects in total and still keep corruption and misfire. I'm adding cleric spells here too.

3. Hm. It's a tossup between level 0 and adding luck. I think luck is a bit too hard to add to retroclones other than DCC, so I'll go with having a level 0.

Also I'm probably doing this too.
>>
If you're doing this guys post some pdfs of your house rules. Mighty deeds sound cool but i'm not sure how to make this work.

Another topic: Do you use reaction rules from B/X in LotFP? The latter doesn't even have them for monsters and charisma has no effect. I like the rules from Moldvay Basic a lot more.
>>
>>49982249
I started working on the math to mighty deeds just now actually, so I might deliver something. Don't count on it too much though, I'm both bad at designing and bad at math.
>>
>>49982249
Oh, i just realized that Charisma modifier in Moldvay is just used in secondary talking to monsters. The initial reaction is an unmodified 2d6. ACKS uses Charisma for initial reaction from the lead PC.
>>
>>49982108
Then don't use them.
>>
>>49981508
>>49981560
Yeah, it's just a convoluted way of saying each square's 10'.
>>
File: tumblr_m6ynldZEAx1r2p31ho1_1280.jpg (146KB, 564x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6ynldZEAx1r2p31ho1_1280.jpg
146KB, 564x800px
>>49982249
"Feats" (Mighty Deeds) for LotFP:
To attempt a combat feat, the player announces their intent and rolls to attack (d20 + applicable modifiers) along with the appropriate Feat die.

- If the attack is successful and the Feat Die rolls a 5 or higher, the attempt is a success.
- A successful d20 attack with a Feat Die roll under 5 is a failure in plan, though weapon damage is rendered as usual (if applicable.)
- A failed attack, regardless of the Feat Die’s roll, typically results in a problematic setback or predicament for the PC (Referee’s discretion.)

Feat Die
Level:
¤ 1-3: d6
¤ 4-6: d8
¤ 7-9: d10
¤ 10+: d12

or for a faster progression:

¤ 1-2: d6
¤ 3-4: d8
¤ 5-6: d10
¤ 7-9: d12
¤ 10+: d20
>>
File: dm.jpg (283KB, 545x386px) Image search: [Google]
dm.jpg
283KB, 545x386px
>>49982108
They're used to add spice and give you erratic, memorable moments in gaming.

What are you gonna talk about later, that time your lv. 6 Warrior obviously and plainly bashed in the skull of the enemy or that time your lv. 1 Halfling goat herder managed with dumb luck to inexplicably slide his dagger between some death-lord's visor slit and shove the blade into his frontal lobe?
>>
What is your opinions on level caps?

Even though I have never had a game go above level 8, I like the idea of level caps. Currently I'm making a house rule document (my own little OSR compilation as per above) with LotFP as the base game. I'm thinking about instituting a level 9 hard cap for all player characters. That way there is some sort of "physical limit" to the character growth, which gives the game-world a certain sense of mortal scale imo. It basically says; you have grown as much as is possible for a mortal adventurer, congratulations!

It also has interesting mechanical consequences. It is the level that the Fighter stops getting an increased attack bonus, the last level of variable HP gain, specialists have a nice amount of skill points (instead of eventually maxing out all skills and not really being a "specialist" anymore) and it would mean that spell level 5 is the "max" spell level for a single player character (although I like the idea of retaining awesome high level spells in the game through complex, multi-caster rituals which require a lot of sacrifice).

I chose level 9 because it is the traditional "name level".
>>
>>49982548
Like it!
I'd use the faster progression and would say the setback is having surprised AC for one round.
>>
>>49982658
DCC is a game of chaos and it kinda fits here. It's just not something I would use as standard. And I rant about it because as a young DM I thought it would be great to use and quickly realized it breaks immersion.

I do see myself playing Dungeon Crawl Chaos with a gonzo module though. Fun Beer & Pretzel (& Heavy Metal) game.
>>
>>49982249
I'm doing mighty deeds in 2 parts. the first is general for anyone to use:

Gambit: Perform a stunt or called shot. Make two Attack rolls; if both hit then it succeeds. 2 failures causes a Fumble.

The second part powers it up for Fighters:

Warrior's Gambit - Replaces the Gambit combat option.
Instead, the Fighter performs a stunt, maneuver or called shot by rolling an additional 1d3 Gambit Die with their Attack Roll.
If the Attack hits and the Gambit Die comes up as 3 then the stunt is performed successfully, otherwise the roll is added to damage. A successful Gambit does not increase damage, but has some other kind of combat effect.

and then some advice about coming up with gambits/deeds.

additionally, at level-up a fighter may pick the following bonus if they so choose:

King's Gambit - Increase the Warrior's Gambit Die by one type up the chain. Success on 3 or higher.

(I use reaction, but I don't recall what b/x did. my houserule might be the same)
>>
>>49982788
DCC is great for jaded veterans who want to spice up their not-having-sex-life.
At least until the novelty wears off. Good for one-offs. Tedious over the course of a campaign.
>>
>>49982825
Hmm, the gambit rule is simple and nice. I don't even think there needs to be a fighter's gambit in LotFP, since he has such a huge advantage hitting stuff as he levels up.
>>
>>49982855
Based on experience, I'd disagree. DCC made for a memorable and great sword & sorcery campaign.

String a few modules together on a map and add a few towns and cities for flavor and you've got a hell of a ride.
>>
>>49982975
Not the one quoted but I think many here find the OSR refreshing because we're DMs who realized a rules system doesn't need to be convoluted. I appreciate DCC for it's unique style but DMing this thing for a longer time is like going back to 3.x/PF.
>>
in LoFP when a monster says it has 5HD. how do i determine the number of hitpoints? i dont see where a range is specified. what is the size of the HD that monsters have?. did i miss the part were they clarified that?
>>
>>49983063
I've never found DCC convoluted. Simple 'skill' system (d20 or d10 over DC). Dice chain for advantage/disadvantage.

Spells are convoluted, yes, but are more rewarding and exciting in play than traditional Vancian magic.

I dunno. Just opinion. It's got some crunch, but it doesn't even come close to 3.e/PF.
>>
>>49983303
If it's based on Basic D&D then each Hit Die is a d6.
>>
>>49983303
I would roll 5d8.
>>
>>49983319
>>49983321

so is not specified? i never played OSRs so i cant reference unless i go chasing for old rules.

d6 seems logical but d8 seems to "include" the monsters "constitution".
>>
>>49983401
I'd roll d8 cause LotFP emphasizes less traditional weak & abundant monsters and more singular daunting ones.
>>
>>49983401
>>49983442

It's 1d8 per hit die; It's specified in the Grindhouse edition referee book.
>>
>>49983303
Its listed in the Referee book, but its supposed to be 5D8.
>>
>>49969903

See, been debating how to do this myself, given all the options that later editions put on the table

Half-elves, goblins, orcs, gnomes, hell, even gnoll and catfolk. I've been debating whether to just say "Oh, you're X, but your play is defined by Y class levels"
>>
>>49983462
>>49983479
thanks
>>
>>49982901
It's still "problematic". The AtticBat guy made the point that using saving throws make sense because it's too easy to fuck high hd creatures over otherwise. That's swell but saving throws in LotFP are a bit strange for this.
A M-U has a better chance resisting a bull rush than a Fighter if we take save vs. paralyze. Doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>49983319
...Which version of Basic uses d6 hit dice for monsters? I'm pretty sure that the only major D&D version out there that does that is pre-Greyhawk OD&D. Although Holmes is a huge blind spot for me.

>>49982658
The answer is that you'll talk about when your ninth-level Lord that you've spent a year playing got one-shot by a kobold.

The biggest and most consistent problem with crits (and, to a lesser degree, non-at will casting systems) is that each PC is going to get hit by a magnitude more of them than each individual monster. If a monster dies ten seconds after it shows up, big deal. Chances are that if it got killed by a crit it was going to die soon anyway, and no-one would be surprised by that.
But each individual PC is expected to take a lot of hits over their lifetime, a lot more than even the nominal big bad dragons and death-lords.

It's not a question of "if" your PC is going to get critted to death, it's a question of "when".

Better to limit the system to specific characters, IMHO, like with Vorpal swords in O/AD&D - in that case you won't get a high-level character instagibbed by a housecat (does three attacks mean three crit opportunities?), but if you give an NPC a Vorpal sword or similar ability you know that they've got a less deadly version of the Basilisks' petrifying touch or giant spider's venom and can design around that.

(The problem with non-at will casting systems, meanwhile, is that while players need to worry about whether or not they should save a spell for later NPCs have no such issues. Even from an in-universe perspective, chances are that the players are the only combat that the NPC caster is likely to see for the day - while the Temple of Chaos is a hostile environment to the PCs, it's a daily routine for the Evil High Priest. He has no reason not to blow his load.)
>>
>>49984040
>Which version of Basic uses d6 hit dice for monsters?
Holmes. I had to check what Moldvay has and was surprised that it's actually d8 there. Then again I only care about OD&D so I'm not too well educated in later editions.
>>
Tell me about your homebrew settings, /osrg/!
>>
>>49983602
I like race to have at least a small impact on mechanics. Otherwise it just feels like pointless window dressing.
>>
File: 21866fc12d785c247b77a49016efdd9e.jpg (287KB, 1184x675px) Image search: [Google]
21866fc12d785c247b77a49016efdd9e.jpg
287KB, 1184x675px
>>49984154
Faffing around with an idea for an Underdark type setting that's monstrous races only, and with no arcane/divine magic, just psionics. The biggest issue is finding a psionics system that's actually worth a damn; I'm thinking of just stealing the one from Stars Without Number, or maybe Chaosiums' Basic Roleplaying.
>>
>>49984127
>Holmes.
Holmes uses d8s. I'm not sure it actually ever comes out and tells you what size dice to use, but if you look at the monster stats, you can tell it's d8s because A) it indicates 1-4 hit points for monsters with half a Hit Die, B) dragons go up to 8 hit points per Hit Die, and C) the sample dungeon has a 2 HD monster with 13 hit points.
>>
Hey /osrg/, do you have any ideas for a session without a dungeon? Like, something that still provides ample danger and excitement, but without the romp-through-endless-rooms bit.
>>
>>49985955
A castle or a tower maybe?
>>
>>49986020
I was thinking something more outdoors
>>
>>49986034
A forest or a swamp?
>>
>>49986040
possible, they're really close to a super-spooky forest. Would a forest where you always get lost work as an adventure, or is it too cliche?
>>
>>49985955
World of the Lost for LotFP. Tho it will require a bit of prep or improvisation on your part.
>>
>>49969903
>Trove

What is the link? How do I use that info there? Call me a newbie, if you must...
>>
>>49986129
Due to frequent take downs the url has been scrabbled.
Hint:
b@
$s64
>>
>>49986165

so...

Bat
64 Dollars
?
>>
>>49986187
Yes
>>
Is there a software I should use to unscrabble it? A cypher?
>>
>>49986129
>>49948218
>>
>>49986288

First off you need to be a 1337 h4x0r to understand the clue.
>>
soup /osrg/ whats your favoirte distro?
>>
File: CindyMargolis-Debian.jpg (60KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CindyMargolis-Debian.jpg
60KB, 1280x1024px
>>49986346

I'm a Debian nerd.
>>
>>49986346
Void. Slackware is also nice. Alternatively FreeBSD, although I haven't used it in years. Systemd a shit.
>>
Okay. Thanks.
>>
>>49986374
Is FreeBSD still SJW Kino?
>>
>>49986346
dual boot temple
>>
>>49986386
Uh, dunno what that means, like I said it's been years since I last used it. Arch was really nice until they switched to systemd. That still pisses me off.
>>
>>49986369
+1
>>
File: hexcrawl.png (985KB, 1855x2430px) Image search: [Google]
hexcrawl.png
985KB, 1855x2430px
Does my hexcrawl island have enough terrain variation? Note: the interior desert is supposed to be a sort of steppe where I can stick a fantasy Central Asian culture. I just don't like the way Hexographer steppe hexes look. I haven't added areas of interest yet aside from the Southeast corner where I plan to start PCs
>>
>>49986165
The clue is b@ $ e64
>>
>>49986129
>>49986165
>>49986187
>>49986241
>>49986288
>>49986308
>>49986341
>>49987180

wtf, ya'll making this way too complicated for some free fucking downloads to rpg pdfs
>>
>>49988442
Just google Base 64 and go from there, you fucking mong.
>>
>>49988442
Exactly, these "free fucking downloads" are copyrighted by their respective publishers and will be removed if they get the chance. The only way we can keep these from being taken down is by keeping secure with the links to these files.

tl;dr: do a little research and google the fucking hints. Seriously, its among the first handful of results
>>
>>49977344
I stole the xp system
/spoiler and I'm using it to run 5e
>>
File: OSR.jpg (210KB, 891x828px) Image search: [Google]
OSR.jpg
210KB, 891x828px
>>49988442
>>49986129
>>49986165
>>49986187
>>49986241
>>49986288
>>49986308
>>49986341
>>49987180
>>49988524
>>49988535
>>49969903
Anon cannot into /g/
>>
>>49982665
depends on the system, I'm fine with it in ACKS cause the max for everyone is 14, so those who cap at levels lower than that aren't hit as bad as in systems where the cap is 20 or 30

>>49983602
I agree with >>49984541 if you aren't using Race-As-Class, then you need to make sure races give at least some mechanical boon

>>49984154
right now working on a really weird setting concept, best way to describe it would be; D&D Fantasy meets Halloween Town(from Nightmare Before Christmas), with a bit of Gamma World mixed in as well
>>
Is the original S. V: Carcosa in the trove or just the re-release?

>>49989095
Trying to figure out what'd be fair, 2e's +1 -1 for stats, or just a better chance of success at a particular skill
>>
>>49989275
>2e's +1 -1 for stats
that can work, although I meant something meatier than that(not OSR but I like how 4E gave all races a unique special ability)
>>
>>49982665
Level caps have never made any sense to me as classes are balanced out by having them progress at different rates. By the time a magic-user hits 12th level, a thief is almost to 14th. So it seems to me that what you want is an *experience* cap. Personally, I like the idea of capping classes at the highest level than can attain while remaining *under* 900,000 ("less than", not "less than or equal to"). In Basic, this means you can end up with 14th level fighters, 12th level magic-users, and 15th level thieves and clerics.
>>
>>49989463
See, I have to admit, 4e's something I've never even gazed upon because of the MMO bits.

So something like 3/3.5/PF 's spell-like abilities?
>>
Does anyone here have the Free RPG Day 2012 DCC adventure "The Jeweler That Dealt In Stardust"? It seems to be gone from Goodman's own website.
>>
>>49989626
kinda, to give a couple examples, Dragonborn have their breath weapon, and Eldarin have a short range teleport as their respective abilities
>>
>>49989863
https://mega.nz/#!QN1jDASB!vgEcndm1iFu22A7vfY6EYpes6CloBlF_1z6pYFeeaRs
>>
File: 1446742686353.png (292KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1446742686353.png
292KB, 500x500px
>>49990206
Thank you anon!
>>
>>49969903
what is the core (or most complete or most recent) version of Lamentation in the trove?

>>49990424
something about this makes it look photo shopped in the most uncanny way.
>>
>>49990964
Romero's head looks a bit too big but I don't think it's shopped.
>>
>>49990964
Oh and, the latest Lamentations is called Rules & Magic Full Version (Hardback).
>>
>>49990424
Man I always forget that Romero is a total nerd
>>
File: from.the.ashes.01.jpg (6MB, 3050x4494px) Image search: [Google]
from.the.ashes.01.jpg
6MB, 3050x4494px
Grehawk map #1 from "From the Ashes" boxed set.

Still looking for R7 through R14 secret RPGA modules, plus Adventurer's Guild modules from end of TSR era.
>>
>>49989066
for some reason this image makes me happy
>>
>>49991393
Yeah, he was the nerd that didn't have as much skills, so he went full Ferrari-leather-jacket-and-boasting once he became rich.
Carmack's a nerd too, but he's also a bona-fide genius. He seems to spend his money mainly on shooting shit into space and other nerd activities. Maybe when they were like 25 Romero was the one who looked like hot shit to the world, but at this point it has to be obvious that he became a bloviating douche for lack of a better plan. For my part I damn near venerate Carmack.

>>49991567
So this is obviously the Darlene map from the Greyhawk Folio -- is it changed materially from the originals, besides the addition of the hex numbering?
>>
Haven't gone through the thread yet, but thought I'd let you know I was in. Let me know if there's anything that needs to be uploaded from the last two threads that isn't under _Inbox

>>49974989
..Rabbits and..Rangers?
Uploaded.
>>
Which OSR combat system?
http://www.strawpoll.me/11520892
>>
>>49992241
Oh shit, I thought this asked what your favorite one was, not which one you should use for designing a game.
In that case I'm changing my vote to Chainmail man-to-man. Would like to see something cool with that.
>>
>>49992019
The section at the beginning of one of the booklets says "What Has Changed?" and goes on to explain that the hours of a certain bottle-seller in the city of Greyhawk have changed etc. Basically nothing is different.
>>
>>49992496
So... from the ashes of the Greyhawk Wars rise... changed open hours at Jack's Bottlerium?

I don't think I have a reaction image to illustrate my confusion here, where's a good Julius when you need it?
>>
>>49992977
Check out the beginning of the Campaign Book, starting on page 3
>>
>>49986346
I like Fedora the most. I like Arch too but it's too much work for me.
>>
>>49993669
>le atheist distro

Linux has no Adobe products, how are you supposed to publish professional-quality AD&D material that compiles things that were missed in actual TSR compilations?
>>
File: 179590.jpg (188KB, 538x684px) Image search: [Google]
179590.jpg
188KB, 538x684px
What does everyone think about Neoclassical Geek Revival?
>>
>>49991393
I talked to Romero on ICQ back in the day.

Yeah.

Despite those things, he was a complete and total tool of a dick.
>>
>>49991567
R7 - R14??? Um if we're talking from 1st edition Mentzer tournament modules, they only made up to R10 - Air Plane!.

And good luck with that, I have been hunting for 10 years. Because of their value no one will scan them an put them on the web, since they were literally typed up on a typewriter, and then photocopied to the tourny players, makes it to easy to bootleg, so there is an understanding among those that do still have copies to never reproduce them.
>>
>>49995234
Not true. I'm talking about 1st Edition Mentzer tournament modules, labeled with the R–series of nomenclature. Are you? As he himself said:

R11 Needle (How to Steal an Obelisk)
R12 Spring Fever (featuring animals as PCs)
R13 The Convert (a fable about the dangers of blind faith)
R14 Gypsy (How to Run a Circus, plus an Equal Rights Movement for Dopplegangers)

Needle was already printed an I–series.

People had best have them ready to trade with me for my exclusive official canon PDFs. I will continue to hunt.
>>
>>49995390
Of Varsks and Winter Witches
Vale of the Dragon Oracle
Menagerie
Final Exam
Marooned on Jakandor: Island of War
Leviathan's Deep
Fallen Archmage
Return of the Pick-Axe
Manxome Foe
Blood Feud
Pyramids of Brass
Folds in the Tapestry (false edition: Alternity)
Special Delivery
Ill Omens
Heart's Final Beat
A Second Chance
Throne of Huangdi (false edition: Marvel)
Salvage (false edition: Alternity)
Caravan
At Last, Ravens Bluff
Counterfeit Dreams
Downunder the Living City
Day of the Raven
Curse of Red Death
Dungeon of the Hark
Trouble With Derro
Beast Within
Trail of the Tylor
Avengers: Live Knee or Die! (false edition: Marvel)
Burn Pirates (false edition: Alternity)
False Prophesy
What In The World Is This?
Call of the Griffon
Birds of a Feather
Pillar of the Community
Greater of Two Evils
Spawn of Sable
Light Fantastic
Mission Brief 6106 SD XXXIV
Legacy of Venom
Pages of Doom (false edition: Marvel)
Interfall (false edition: Alt.)
Dangerous Alliances
A Spell of Bad Weather
Foolish Pride
Search for the Truth
Longest Night
Whistling In The Dark
Children of Solace
Hand of Justice
Displaced
Deepening Shadows
A Simple Errand
Project: Maelstrom
Mandolin Wind
Return of the Fire Witch
Hall of the Crimson King
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way...
Stag Falls Knights
Pyre Down Below
Crown of Salt
Emissaries
Farewell to the Flesh
Cult of the Swamp Lord
Smoke and Mirrors (false edition: Marvel)
End of Innocence (false edition: Alternity)
Amongst Fungus
Dragotha's Lair
Haunting of Silver Ruins
Needle in the Eye
Epitaph (false edition: Alternity)
>>
>>49995234
They were printed with a dot-matrix printer and then mimeographed though.
>>
File: from.the.ashes.02.jpg (6MB, 3053x4490px) Image search: [Google]
from.the.ashes.02.jpg
6MB, 3053x4490px
Also maps
>>
I really think we should stop giving hints to the trove. Most anons here are DMs that expect their players to know from a clean hallway that a gelatinous cube is nearby, if you really can't be arsed to google 2 minutes for encription methods and decode it, I don't think you deserve those "free" pdfs.

The trove anons are trying to keep the troves online against the takedowns so you ungrateful retards can use them, dial down the bitching.
>>
>>49993786
LaTeX
>>
>>49995473
I'm a little annoyed at the free passes as well.
>>
>>49993786
Libre Office, et. al. exports to PDF. There are more than one PDF editors. I use Master PDF editor. There is Wine if you absolutely must use Adobe.
>>
>>49995808
Let's add to the Pastebin something like: Don't ask and don't answer questions regarding the trove riddle.
>>
>>49996034

Unenforceable, nobody reads the pastebin, and it's not that big a deal anymore -- the offending PDFs have been removed from the trove, so New Big Dragon Games Unlimited (boo!) can't keep sending DMCA notices.
>>
>>49995473
>>49995808
>>49996034
>>49996055
eh it's a bad idea to try and gate the trove off just because most people don't know code
>>
>>49996074

On the contrary, anyone who can't figure out how to use google to solve it probably shouldn't be allowed on the internet, as they may hurt themselves.
>>
>>49996090
well I'm not saying give them the solution outright, the Base 64 clue should be more than enough, it's just you need to give them some basic idea of what to look for in the first place
>>
>>49996153
It's literally the 4th fucking google result if you search for "decoding" and any link can solve it if you searched for "decrypt". If someone doesn't solve it it's because they didn't care to even try.
>>
What is a good LoTFP (or any other that's theme-appropiate) one-shot that I can run for Halloween without it being so indescribably edgy that I'd feel weird reading it to my players?
>>
>>49996220
Death Frost Doom
>>
>>49996224
I thought DFD was longer?
>>
>>49996234
pretty sure its doable in one session
>>
>>49996259
thanks anon
>>
>>49996259
V1
>>
>>49996259
No way you can run DFD in one session.
>>
>>49996450
Thats what I did. Worked out really very well too.
>>
>>49986374
Slackware is a bitch
>>
>>49995473
>>49995808
>>49996090
>stop the normies from getting into my sikrit klub ree
>>
>>49997139
>robots are behind this maleficence
You idiot, we're trying to protect the Trove, that's all. You can't protect it by first encrypting the link and then handing out the encryption key like candy.
>>
>>49996220
Tower of the Stargazer would be the shortest to run. DFD would go about 2 nights.
>>
>>49996450
You can run it up until the undead all wake up and everyone dies, and then another party can come back to it to meet the rest of the characters there.
>>
Melan just posted a list of recommended OSR modules and a link to his own written stuff. If you like tenfootpole.org reviews and you should, you probably dig his recommendations.
Check it out at the codex:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dcc-rpg-tho.109012/page-2#post-4800780
>>
>>49994788
Suck it down.
>>
File: hexcrawl_2.png (1MB, 1855x2430px) Image search: [Google]
hexcrawl_2.png
1MB, 1855x2430px
Muh hexcrawl island, inspired by the OD&D setting posts, revised. How is it looking? I still need to add some castles, wizard towers, and clerical strongholds. Civilization will be a little more spread out than in the OD&D setting, and I might go for a swords & sandals millieu.
>>
>>49996055
Do we know what the offending pdfs were?
>>
>>49969903
One of my OD&D game's PCs is an orc. Cleric, actually, I'm mechanically treating as a human who doesn't handle bright days well. More specifically, he's Catholic, spent a few years training at St Mary's over in... I forget the town's name, have to look that up. They've re-secured the first level of their crypts, these days, although he wasn't involved in anything deeper as a student.
>>
>>49970893
It may be run by Jim Fireprincess, but that's a Jeff Rients production, so it'll be the good kind of fucking stupid.
>>
>>49976468
Isn't there that magic horn that when you blow it a bunch of barbarian warriors get summoned to serve you?

That, but with barbarian ghosts, also like the army of the dead at pelennor but with more beards and axes.
>>
>>49989626
it's less mmo than 3e, and actually better. they looked at how mmos do certain things, said "that's not a good fit for a tabletop rpg," and came up with a better method.

It's worth a look just to steal things from occasionally, like all games. I like bits of its default cosmology, and it has some cool classes.
>>
>>49996224
>>49996234
>>49996259

I found dead frost doom very uninteresting mechanically speaking.

everything is solved by blessing. I would add other solutions like holy water or protections vs evil stuff. there was not any interesting regular treasure. there was not much variety in the save-less fuck yous. and it just feels like a tragedy because there are too many sticks and not enough carrots.

I am still pretty stoked about running it. because the location and the theme are very well done. but navigating it for the players could use some improvements.

Dead Love Doom is way more interesting, the problem is all the gore. so it depends on your definition of edgy. but it is an interesting environment to navigate and it has some good treasure.
>>
>>49999280
I bought the 4e books and sold them the next day. They should have given it a different name than D&D.
>>
>>49998953

Yeah, it was the books by New Big Dragon Games Unlimited. Like the PX Psionics book or the d30 ones. So don't give those dinks money, I guess.
>>
>>49999338

Why? Every edition has been a dramatic change from the previous one and 4e's non-combat was honestly more functional than 3.5's 'Yeah, a spell can basically replace most skills'
>>
>>49999338
It's descended from the AD&D line, which already has a different name from the good D&D.

>>49999355
>the d30 ones
the sandbox companion thingy of theirs is actually really good.
>>
>>49999370
Nah I disagree. BD&D and AD&D were different yes, but they were going parallel. There was no change there.
AD&D - UA - 2e - NWP - 2.5 - 3 - 3.5 - PF. Was a line of incremental changes. 3.5 -> 4 was not. Even AD&D and BD&D were more similar.
>>
>>49999519
>AD&D - UA - 2e - NWP - 2.5 - 3
Whoa, now, that's a MASSIVE change. It's not too obvious because the designers were incompetent and their shitty playtesters didn't even notice, but 3e ripped the fuck out of AD&D's fundamentals. 4e tried to build a good game out of the mess that was 3e, and largely succeeded until Mearls, but anyone who claims that 3e - 4e is a larger jump than AD&D - 3e is lying or blind.

Yeah, bits of early 3e came from late AD&D 2.5 developments, but the wholesale system changes made a far greater difference.
>>
>>49999575
that said, let's talk about od&d or something. you know what od&d had? playtesting. and decent design. shame about the writing, but hey, they were expecting to hit it mindblowingly huge and sell a couple thousand copies.
>>
>>49999623
It always cracks me up that Gygax and Kaye printed a thousand copies of D&D and everybody thought they were retarded.
>>
So, I'm a first time DM looking into LotFP for its simplicity, but my players are a bit more pathfinder-minded.

I was wondering where'd be a good place to start, any advice given is appreciated.
>>
>>50000833
>but my players are a bit more pathfinder-minded.
Good luck trying to cure cancer.
>>
>>50000833
Then give them LotFP, rules as written and tell them to fucking try something different for once.
>>
>>50000833
>>50000946
>>50000864

That's the plan, shouldn't have mentioned PF, I meant more general advice, modules you recommend over the others, etc
>>
>>50001025
I'm in a similar situation. I'm going to run Tower of the Stargazer first. Then perhaps Better than any Man or some self made sandbox. I'm probably using the Dark Albion setting. The book came just today.
I'm sure PF players think they won't have any character customization. It's necessary to shift their mind what character customization is. It doesn't need to be shit in the rule books. It can just as well be shit you think of yourself.
>>
>>49999575
As someone that has been playing AD&D since about '83 including BECMI, I can state that I was not all that thrilled with 2nd Edition, Liked 3rd Edition. Absolutely hated 4th which was actually way too focused as miniatures game, than a an actual 'role' playing game. Finally I am quite enjoying 5e.
>>
>>49995390

Yet there is no mention of them on any of the TSR reference sites...

I don't think those were actually published per say, He only said it for the lack of a better term, And he only ever mentioned in one blog post. While he may have written them, they were probably only used as a one off at Gencon, which only makes them even more rare, under 20-30 copies at most, which more than half probably got tossed in the trash after the the tournament.
>>
>>49995390

This is the info I could find out about R11-14...

After founding the RPGA in 1980, Frank Mentzer immediately began writing tournament modules for his new organization. He recalls writing more than 14 of them, though only the first four were published — appearing as R1: "To the Aid of Falx" (1982) through R4: "Doc's Island" (1982).

When Frank moved over to working on the BECMI Basic D&D Set (1983-1986), TSR decided to revamp the "R" RPGA series as the "RPGA" RPGA series (1983), which began publishing Tracy Hickman modules rather than Mentzer's other works. Mentzer's later "R" adventures were either unpublished or instead appeared in the RPGA's Polyhedron magazine.

This was the fate of an adventure that Mentzer has labeled as R11: "Needle". It was a three-round tournament that featured what Mentzer calls "a pretty silly round 3". The adventure was originally published in Polyhedron #24-26 (May/June 1985 to Sept/Oct 1985) in three parts: "Ruins of Empire", "Retrieval", and "The Powers that Be". A few years later, TSR decided to publish it for the mass-market. Under the editorship of Barbara Young, the tournament adventure appeared as I11: "Needle" (1987).
>>
>>50000833
ACKS is a good middle ground between old school and new school. It's purely the former since it's based on BX, but its proficiency system, being a mix of skills and feats, might appeal to new school players.
>>
>>49997479
I get it, but as you say the code is easily crackable by googling it. It's just inconvenient for those who want the PDFs. Having a hint in the replies ain't gonna change much (who the fuck is gonna read a 4chan thread)

I bet you're against DRM in vidya
>>
To someone who has never played in a OSR styled game, would you recommend using one of the original systems (B/X), a retroclone like LL, or a more "modernized" clearer revision like LotFP? Why?
>>
>>50002079
It's hard to argue with Basic as a starting point. You'll find out pretty quickly (8 or few sessions) if it's your jam or not.
>>
>>50002079
B/X is a really solid game and quite possibly the best published D&D.
>>
>>50002079
They are mostly the same. I like LotFP more because readability and because I like the changes, but if you want the original flavour it's hard to go wrong with B/X.

You will end up houseruling the shit out of them either way.
>>
>>49999623
>od&d
>design
I think OD&D had a great core feedback loop but I don't think it's really fair to suggest that it is somehow a masterpiece of design. The rules are full of ambiguities that can completely change the underlying incentives of play.

It's like saying an uncarved block of marble is a masterpiece because you can imagine what the statue is underneath. Sure, that might make a tremendous artistic statement but there's no actual work to measure.
>>
>>50002817
OD&D was basically a supplement to Chainmail and not so much a standalone game.
>>
>>50002817
It was designed to do specific things and playtested to hell and back by a large group of people with experience stress-testing games, so... yeah, kinda? The actual writing... didn't hold up, they really needed someone else to write it who didn't have decades of grogging experience.

Everything since then has been a mess design/playtest-wise though.
>>
File: comic_reddragon.jpg (5MB, 1200x3865px) Image search: [Google]
comic_reddragon.jpg
5MB, 1200x3865px
>>50002079
It's important to note that rules are only half of the OSR equation - there's a lot of procedures that are often assumed - a dungeon with treasure, for example, or the use of time tracking and random encounters.

Swords and Wizardry or ACKS. Both actually make attempts to explain the metagame and the reasoning for rules and both feature active forums with good support.

>>50002211
I would not recommend B/X - the core ideas are fine, but TSR era D&D is full of ambiguities, poor proofreading, and inconsistent wordings in a lot of areas - and what's worse these often tend to only become apparent when you actually attempt to use the rule in play (ex. B/X's retreat declarations). If you want to use B/X, Labyrinth Lord is fundamentally identical but has far less ambiguity in the text.

>>50002493
LoTFP is a terrible recommendation for someone who has never done an OSR dungeon crawl - it's clean and elegant but is highly divergent in a lot of core factors (ex. silver/gold conversion, economy, character progression), and does not really explain a lot of the meta-game fundamentals from the GM side, like encounters in dungeons and treasure generation methods.
>>
>>50002079
Use B/X and, for the love of God, try actually using the rules. Spend a turn rolling to open doors, keep some rough track of treasure encumbrance, roll for random monsters every other turn, roll for reaction checks and morale.

Too many gamers have been put off the game by ignoring the rules and finding the game to be shit - for example, the old example of "oh, we failed to roll to open the door, keep rolling until we succeed, why the hell are we even rolling" is a bit moot if you actually include stuff like wandering monster checks and torch duration and whatnot. You can't just keep rolling, because the more time you spend in the dungeon the more unnecessary fights you get into, and the more fights you get into the less time you can spend getting treasure and experience.

Also, try to remember that the pursuit and evasion rules are a thing! A surprising amount of people missed those. They let you actually run away from faster enemies, so long as you sacrifice some food or treasure.

Basically, B/X is a kickass logistical dungeoncrawling game and the further you try to take it away from that environment the more the system will fight you. Limited spells per day mean fuck-all in a campaign with one encounter per day, for instance.

>>50002817
In some ways I'd say that OD&D is definitely superior to later D&D - mostly in the small semi-accidental stuff like there being to unhittable ACs, the limited magic, inheritance rules, and random keep inhabitant lists. Oh, and the limited ability score bonuses.

But OD&D - even, or perhaps particularly, the LBBs - is a fully functional game. It might need Chainmail for combat, but the way the rest of it works is pretty straight-forward.
>>
>>50002938
>ACs
OD&D having a range of 2-9 for AC is one of the unsung neat things. Expanding unarmoured to 10, adding new armour types, and going down too far (and even negative) was a mistake.

You want to add new armour types? Yeah, sure. "Studded leather"? Count it as leather, unless it's really studded, then count it as chain. Done.

Makes shields more valuable when there's a two-point difference between armour types.
>>
>>50002938
>unhittable ACs
What?
>>
>>50002994
This is something that bugs me about Labyrinth Lord, by the way. They added in new armour types and inflated the costs compared to the Basic it's meant to be based on, which I've never really liked.
>>
>>50002994
>You want to add new armour types? Yeah, sure. "Studded leather"? Count it as leather, unless it's really studded, then count it as chain. Done.
Or just refer to Leather as Light, Chain as Medium, and Plate as Heavy, then rate other types according to that.
>>
>>50002994
This so much.
>>
>>50002938
>>50002923
>>50002493
>>50002211
>>50002119

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'm really drawn to LotFP because the unified adventuring mechanics and the way they tie in to the specialist really click with me.

Would it be a smart idea to play using the LotFP rules, but using making a procedural cheat sheet (so wandering monster checks etc) and the dungeon more based of B/X guidelines for the DM?
>>
>>50003030
In the LBBs, the best monster AC is AC2. The best human AC is an effective AC0, conditionally AC-1 since shields don't stack and only apply some of the time. The worst THAC0 is 19, and the only ways to get a melee hit penalty are through the -2 Cursed Sword or the Anti-Cleric's reversed Bless. I think.

Supplement I: Greyhawk increased shields and armor to +5, let them stack for AC-8 total, and introduced some monsters with really low ACs - I think Bahamut has roundabout AC-8?

>>50002994
Each AC actually meaning something beyond a number is great, yeah. AC7? They're wearing leather. AC4? Chain & Shield.

It also helps that the only magic armor is plate, and that not even that actually modifies your AC in OD&D - everything's a penalty to the attack roll instead, with armor class being immutable.

But then, yeah, you get Thieves who need magical leather and Gygax wants to expand the scale with intermediate armors and so on and so forth.
>>
>>50003030
>>50003159
Wait, shit, I just realized that I misspelled it in my original post. Yeah, it's supposed to be "no unhittable ACs".
>>
>>49984154
Settlers of a newly discovered continent find themselves caught between angry natives and the Second Wave of more militant and hostile settlers.

The Second Wave is made up entirely of hotheads and treasonous nobility who escaped a failed uprising in the home country, and are eager to try again once they can establish themselves in the new world.

PC's have a choice:
Join the Homeland Loyalists and try to kill off the nobles trying to re-establish themselves (Loyalists)
Try to raise an army for a second rebellion (Nobles)
Keep the Peace (1st Wave Settlers)
Just wander off and explore everything (Hexcrawl)
>>
>>50003140
That's how I rolled. LotFP rules are the ones I enjoyed the most out of all B/X variants but I started out with more traditional flavor of the world and adventures. Works like a charm.
>>
2.5E is a false edition because implementing the hazardous rules within is the Player's Option. Only the Dungeon Master has the Option of implementing the High-Level Campaign rules. Skills & Powers, Combat & Tactics, and Spells & Magic are all at the Player's Option. The players must never be allowed to hold the DM hostage with broken rules that corrupt a campaign.
>>
>>50001209
R7 through R10 weren't "actually published" in themselves either. Adventurer's Guild were though, some in exclusive PDF format. So where are those?
>>
>>50003284
This is a good setup and I may steal it.
>>
>>50000833
Run LotFP as much RAW as you can.
Tell them upfront that you're playing something vastly different and they will need to unlearn a lot of their assumptions.
Then run it with Death Frost Doom and blow their fucking minds.

then after the tpk, run Tower of the Stargazer and settle into a proper campaign
>>
>>50003140
You can use LotFP to run any flavor of old-school dungeon crawls. The ones in my group tend to be more gonzo and sword & sorcery than Raggis implied tone and setting reach. A good module will lay some framework for rate of wandering monsters etc. Try B4 The Lost City, or Raggis own Tower of the Stargazer.
>>
>>50003905
Believe me, I'm tempted given the season, and even reading through DFD was fun as hell. I'm just worried, going into it the first time, that I won't have the chops to run horror.
>>
>>50004642
>I'm just worried, going into it the first time, that I won't have the chops to run horror.
Hell, it can't go more than wrong If you don't practice, how can you ever get the chops? Just go for it, if it gets fucked, so what, learning experience.
>>
>>50004642
Half of the horrors will come from the gameplay anyway. Also use the music suggestions in the book.
Thread posts: 229
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.