[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How gud are the various spacemarine power armour marks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

My impression is that
MK VIII Errant>MK VII Aquilla=MKVI Corvus =/>MK IV Maximus> "MK V" Heresy>MK III Iron>MK II Crusade>shit>piss>Thunder warrior armour

Anybody disagree? Or rather, is there anyone who actually agrees with either me or each other?
>>
flak armor > power armor
real armor for men with MASSIVE BALLS
>>
>>49956574
>Armor so shitty that it cannot even protect you from commissar shots.
Charge yourself into the enemy lines.
>>
>>49954891
According to at least the old armour article, which is pretty much echoed in the 7e special edition SM codex:
>MkI
Very simple with no environmental protection nor fully powered, but very common at the time and offered protection and enhanced strength, if nothing else.

>MkII
Space age power armour designed with all the bells and whistles an elite space marine would need to spread the dominion of Man. Segmented plates would offer the most comfort, but at the cost of being very hard to repair and maintain, which became an issue on the long run. Still thought by some marines to be the best suit.

>MkIII
Heavily modified MkII with closed space combat in mind. Weaker rear armour to compensate for the additional plates. Most likely somewhat more sealed and protected against vacuum and hazardous environments one might encounter in facilities or space ships. Never designed as a permanent replacement or something you'd equip entire units with, more as an optional gear for certain units. Uncomfortable and heavy.

>MkIV
With new tech and materials flooding in from conquests and the problems of maintaining and repairing the MkII and III sparks the development of a new suit. Instead of segmented plates it has solid plate design, which is less mobile, but offer great increases in production cost and maintenance time. Suit built with everything learned from the Great Crusade and good enough for Horus to try and get all of his allies equipped with them before the Heresy.

>MkV
Suit design made in no time to answer the call of "we need new suits yesterday." Taking the simple solid plate armour design of the MkIV and mating it with as much pre-MkIV tech as possible to produce a hideous, but working suit of armour. Inferior armour materials required extra plating, which put a strain on the systems. Cabling was too thick to fit under the plates, so it was left external. Helmet taken from Indomitus and modified for PA use. Not many chapters use them after the Heresy.
>>
>>49954891
>That filename
Gettafuckoutta my /tg/

Isn't it canon that MKIV Maximus was/is the best? Seeing as they actually knew how to do proper maintenance etc. back in the Heresy.

Also, as for armour "getting prettier", Marks II, III and IV just look so much nicer than VII.

On the fence about MK VIII, not enough minis/art for me to decide.
>>
>>49956608
>MkVI
Originally planned as the MkV as a simpler MkIV. Use of less advanced armour materials and a redundancy system that allowed it to be repaired in the field with inferior parts. The design process wasn't complete when the suits were rolled out to fight in the Heresy, but they were good enough for, among other units, the Knights Errant, and still remain in use today alongside the MkVII.

>MkVII
Competed the ideas the MkVI was working on. THE power armour that incorporates everything that has been learned during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy. It's not a master of anything, really, but offers a little bit of everything.

>MkVIII
Improved MkVII, though the benefits are not often seen as worth the extra work and resources.

What's best? What's the context? Best for what? Overall? II, IV and VII were all designed as the universal power armour, so they should all be pretty usable in most situations.
>>
>>49956626
>Seeing as they actually knew how to do proper maintenance etc. back in the Heresy.

So why did the Knights Errant dress in MkVI?
>>
>>49956650
[Citation needed]
Also, when all your armour is artificer, it doesn't really matter what mark it is.
>>
>>49956598
that contradicts the whole reason a commisar is there, it would be useless if the commisar were unable to BLAM any heretics
>>
>>49956626
>Isn't it canon that MKIV Maximus was/is the best?
It's canon that some believe it to be. But the info cards that came with 7e Special Edition Codex says the Mk.8 contains "the most advanced ballistic augurs yet devised" in addition to improved protection over Mk.7
>>
File: mark-my-words.jpg (82KB, 251x401px) Image search: [Google]
mark-my-words.jpg
82KB, 251x401px
>>49956763
HH Book 6, pg. 212.

Also, if it doesn't matter, why MkVI and not any number of other suits that were readily available and didn't have to be extracted from Mars as it fell to traitor hands?
>>
What do you think of Mark III armor?
>>
>>49959067
>before BoP
>best armour, other suit can't compete
>after BoP
>pleb tier babby's first legion
>>
What I recall from the lore:
>MKI Thunder
Powered armor that was basic and thrown on tribals to kill other less armored tribals.

>MKII Crusader
A sealed suit that could allow a SM to operate in the void. Armor was plated in a way to reflect small arms fire. Fixed helmet, unlike those lore breaking FW models.

>MKIII Iron
An uparmored version of the MKII used in boarding parties, also had a fixed helmet. On table top, the Front Armor is equivalent to 2+, 3+ Rear. Very slow and bulky.

MKIV:
Advanced breather and solid plates, upgraded sensors.

MKV:
Misc plates riveted by traitors and other Macguyverism to fill bolt holes.

MK:VI
Greatly improved sensors in the Beak, improved solid plates.

MKVII:
Overall well balanced armor. Prone to decapitations.

MKVIII:
Reduced likelihood of decapitations.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.