[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on player character suicide?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: the best trait.jpg (89KB, 484x448px) Image search: [Google]
the best trait.jpg
89KB, 484x448px
What are your thoughts on player character suicide?
>>
File: image.jpg (135KB, 621x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135KB, 621x640px
Might be a warning sign.
Unless it's the apocalypse.
>>
>>49946137

I find suicide missions or redemption paths like the slayer career one more interesting.
>>
>>49946270
I second this. The player may just be bored with the character and want to start a new one, but there's a good chance that they're contemplating suicide in-game because it's been on their mind in real life. Roleplaying is often a means of escape for those with depression. When one of the players starts contemplating suicide, in-game or otherwise, it's best to take it seriously.
>>
>>49946137
Reminds me of some PCs that specifically adventure as a kind of long-winded suicide attempt. Kind of like some people who don't kill themselves outright, but repeatedly do risky things in the hope that they die from it.

Adventurers are likely to die fighting, which tends to be a pretty honorable way to go. That might be an attractive option when conventional suicide brings dishonor, or is liable to take the person's soul somewhere bad. From there, they just need a will or something specifying that they don't want to be revived, assuming the game includes that capability.
>>
>>49946137

I've never seen it done for legit RP reasons. It's always been a derpshit random suicide because the player wants to make a new character. I think it's stupid and childish. There's nothing stopping a player just retiring a character, and suicide is basically an in-game table-flip.
>>
Is getting the Immortal trait in Ck2 "fun"?

The story events seem kinda rough, and beyond living forever, what else is there to do? Any events in relation to a character being the Immortal king of England, or is it just as noteworthy as King Douchebag being slothful?
>>
>>49947083
They added some events where an immortal rival comes and hunts you down Highlander style, there's one where you play chess with death, and a couple other.
>>
Does it count if they engage in an action for some positive outcome which they know is going to kill them? Like driving a flaming car into the enemy to explode and give the rest of the party the chance to escape?
>>
>>49946137
Was playing with a guy who killed himself instead of getting killed by some demon.

The GM was a cunt that decided we needed a TPK because the session was going on too long
>>
>>49946137
I've seen one PC attempt it before in-character...
Then I once TPK'd us all with a fireball... In character.

I mean, they were going to kill me, of no fault of my own.
And such a dishonourable death as that was unbefitting nobility.
>>
>>49946137
I had one of my characters commit it.
>>
>>49947064
>I think it's stupid and childish. There's nothing stopping a player just retiring a character
Some games have DMs that resent people retiring and rerolling, in those situations I can sympathise with someone deciding to go out with a bang, failing and dying is basically the only only thing a DM can't stop you doing.

This is doubly bad in games like D&D, which straddle the splintery, uncomfortable fence of being part RPG and part wargame, it can be very difficult to retire and reroll if you're filling a particular niche in the party.
>>
>>49946137
I had a character take on impossible odds as a test of faith. I guess that is suicide.
I am contemplating it right now for my current pc, a career cop who just got bounced from the force for doing their job too well in the face of corrupt authority.
>>49947064
Stop playing with shit players.
>>
I once had a character who was given a choice of two fates: victory over his old tribe at the cost of his lifestyle, or knowledge of his father (who loved him very much).

Basically he chose knowledge of his father and then immediately challenged the leader of his tribe, lost, and died.

So suicide by rejecting fate I suppose.
>>
>>49946137
Like all things, if it's done tastefully and with reason it's a perfectly valid way to end a character. Sometimes things just aren't fun and you want it to end before you get depressed in an OOC fashion (I've had this happen recently, sticking through with a character in the dumps for too long + a bad case of DM favoritism for metagaming WAAC douchebags), but you've had enough things to keep you going until that point that just retiring willy-nilly isn't appealing either. So you try to make the best of things and end your character in a dramatic fashion. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>49946581
Where'd you get your degree? The furniture store?
>>
>>49949817
>difficult to retire and reroll if you're filling a particular niche in the party.
I hate that I'm aware of this and nobody else in my group (including GM) seems to be.)
>>
>>49953899
Adding to that, sometimes the other players love your character and you want to get rid of him but won't for their sake.
>>
>>49952794
Furniture-store degrees probably beat real psychiatry degrees in a blind trial, desu. At least he'll be sitting in a comfortable chair while spewing bullshit.
>>
>>49946137
Just like real life, if someone wants it, then people should just fucking accept that, instead of trying to "help"
>>
>>49946137

Does anyone have the screencap of the 1st level characters who got a handful of pocket change stolen by bandits and 3 of them commit suicide over it?
>>
>>49946137
Same rule for characters as for players - don't kill yourself in my house.
>>
>>49952794
to a degree it's common sense

it's also and literally part of teacher orientation in my Provence. contemplation of suicide in-character via poetry or short stories = alert the guidance councilor.
>>
File: 15799-1414-3847.jpg (20KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
15799-1414-3847.jpg
20KB, 640x480px
>>49946137
>>
>>49949350
>spoiler
That sounds like an incredibly bad DM, you wrap up and finish a story, maybe you rush to the end when you feel it's gone on too long, but never do you just force death onto all of the PCs just because you feel like the campaign's run it's course.
>>
>>49946137
I think you should just have your character retire with their riches or otherwise go their own way rather than just vorpal swording your own head off after telling the party to give your stuff to the next adventurer they see.
>>
>>49953961
Reminder that you have to be 18+ to post on this website.
>>
>>49946137
Killing players is my job
>>
File: turin, an hero.jpg (34KB, 335x450px) Image search: [Google]
turin, an hero.jpg
34KB, 335x450px
It's okay.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.