[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you play a Jovian /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: download.jpg (11KB, 236x214px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 236x214px
>Bonus points for not dissenting against the Republic
>Double points for playing as a flat
>Triple points for playing without a cortical stack
>Quadruple points for playing without any modifications the Republic might look down upon
>Bonus "HFY" points for using your lack of modifications to you're advantage
>>
File: 1377879058690.jpg (24KB, 244x244px) Image search: [Google]
1377879058690.jpg
24KB, 244x244px
I once thought about making mad Jovian scientist trying to get out where people weren't all petty and narrow minded, meeting transhumans with a "I see you're pretty transhuman, I'm pretty transhuman myself" only to end up being disgusted and horrified at the freakshow that goes on outside the republic.
>>
>>49929673
I think I'd play a Jovian major who sought to re-release the TITANs upon the solar system, confident that the Jovian's are prepared enough to outlast the rest of the trans-humanity until the TITANs decide to ascend again (cause let's be honest, the Jovian's are the only ones prepared for a TITAN outbreak)
>>
File: SamsaMorph_JamesMosingo.png (152KB, 247x670px) Image search: [Google]
SamsaMorph_JamesMosingo.png
152KB, 247x670px
>>49929868
Yeah, I could definitely see that happening.

>"Jeez why do people think exalts are so bad back home, it's just a better version of the human body."
>"Oh hey, look a fellow trans-humanist ship, lets meet up"
>"Nice to meet OH GOD WHY ARE YOU A GIANT COCKROACH!!!!"
>>
Couldn't a Jovian soldier just remote control a synth mod and that would be perfectly acceptable with the Jovian's? After all, a synth mod that's being remote controlled really isn't that much different to something like the predator drones today, just made for groundwork instead of flying.
>>
By playing a cute delicious brown fujo netsec officer
>>
>>49932148
They can and do, afaik.
>>
>>49929673
You play a better game not written by cucks
>>
>>49932847
Cuckboy detected
>>
>>49932847
Hey, if you think of the game as a horror game then it makes playing as a Jovian a pretty interesting experience. Think about it, not only are you one of the few people to escape the fall, but you are one of the last real humans remaining, whereas the rest of humanity has chosen to embrace the insanity and degeneracy of repeatedly switching from one body to the next, each increasingly less human than the others.

And it's not like trans-humanity is retaining its humanity on the inside either. There are numerous morphs designed to alter your state of mind while you are in them, to say nothing of what being in the body of a crab eating random prey like a common animal does to the human psyche.

And that's not even getting into the philosophical and religious side of things. Everyone in the Eclipse Phase universe just assumes that when you switch morphs, that's you in that morph, despite the process being more akin to creating a copy of yourself then killing yourself. I think it's even mentioned in the books at one point that whenever the question of whether everytime they switch morphs, they die is brought up, most of the trans-humans just prefer not to think about it cause it would be too inconvenient to say that it's true.

Heck, look at how trans-humanity treat copies of themselves. They're basically denied rights, as they are often given purposely short lives, or forcefully reintegrated, or are basically slaves to the originals bidding.

All I'm saying is that it's not just the TITANs and gates and Factors that are scary in the setting, it's trans-humanism itself that is the scariest part.
>>
>>49932378
Someone get a drawfag over here, cause I still have no idea what a Jovian soldier or their uniform looks like, and it might as well be a cute one if one is gonna be drawn.
>>
>>49934101
This, a hundred times this. I don't understand how people can read EP lore and not feel an intense mix of horror and disgust the entire time.
>>
>>49934101
Adding to what I said earlier, there's also the fact that the rest of trans-humanity is playing with fire, so to speak. A group of rogue super-AI nearly wipes out all of humanity, yet the only people who act like an apocalypse just happened and might happen again is the Jovian's. They're literally the only people who respond rationally in the setting.

I mean, imagine watching Pacific Rim, but then seeing the only people in the show doing anything to stop the Kaiju are the North and South Americans, while everyone else is just content to sit on their butt everyday and watch hentai till a Kaiju smashes in their house.

Even Firewall admits that the only place where X-risks aren't constantly popping up everywhere is the Jovian territory. Do you know what this means? It means without the secret organization of Firewall running around and doing horrible things to people to prevent the TITANs from coming back, then trans-humanity would already be dead. It's like the Jovian's are secured tightly in their little space, while the rest of the solar system is barely held together by bandaids and glue.
>>
>>49934181
One word: Psychosurgery. You might not know if its been done to you, it's probably irreversably altered your mental state, your friends, faction, ideology and even history probably isn't real, and the worst part...trans-humanity has zero ethical issues with it.
>>
File: 1465062228500.jpg (249KB, 1280x1811px) Image search: [Google]
1465062228500.jpg
249KB, 1280x1811px
One problem with playing as the Jovian's in Eclipse Phase is it is pretty hard to do so with friends who want to be trans-humanist, and its even harder when those friends want to have a Firewall oriented game. Not that I particularly like the amount of emphasis placed on Firewall, it seems like they just exist to be generic "good guys" for the heroes to join.
>>
>>49934101
This. Especially the treatment of forks, Jesus fuck. I know it's [CURRENT YEAR], but a society that condones that is not one worth preserving.

I'm not speaking in-character or anything, that's what I actually think.

In any case, helpful tip for portraying Jovians: think about the positions the Catholic Church (the real one, not the stereotype trilbys believe in) would take on this shit, based on rulings they've made on similar issues, and (more importantly) on what grounds their position would be argued.
>>
>>49935941
I mean, as someone who's studies the Catholic Church a lot (I have come very close to converting several times) it actually makes a ton of sense that the Jovian's would get super Catholic and religious after the fall. The church's views on this kind of stuff are concrete, consistent, and traditional, all of which would be easily adopted by the people having seen what humanity just went through because of trans-humanity.
>>
>>49936175
As someone busily converting to said Catholic Church, the church really does have a sort of concrete consistent tone in everything it does, and it's actually really comforting for me and many others, especially in the U.S. where things are fucking nuts right now and only getting worse. I can only imagine how tightly people might cling to the church if you witnessed all those things the church said no to suddenly explode and hit humanity with the Nope Stamp.
>>
>>49935941
Yeah, the way the forks are treated kind of makes me think that the authors are sociopaths. On the one hand they want you to accept that AI's and uplifts can be people too, that an alpha fork can become its own person, and that when you upload into another morph you are in fact yourself person in that morph.

Yet they follow it up with things like mandatory torture simulations for forks, limited lives and slavery, and mandatory reintegration.

And that's not even getting into things like psychosurgery or a parent raising their child by putting them in a sexually optimized prostitute's body of the opposite gender they were born with just to give them a "different perspective".
>>
>>49936317
Yeah, this is off topic, but the consistency, solid reasoning, and great thinkers that the Catholic Church has had really is what drove me to it. They got Aquinas, Augustine, Ignatius, GK Chesterton, and a whole host of others. The best that Protestantism has is CK Lewis, and he was Anglican, which is lot closer to Catholicism than what I got. Now if only I wasn't deathly afraid of my parents rejecting me...

Also, the Jovian's have basically the only place to raise a family in the solar system, unless you want your child to have no real sense of self or identity. I mean, sure, most of trans-humanity is okay cause they didn't start switching bodies till they were adults, but imagine what having your mother suddenly switch bodies one day, or suddenly skipping puberty to go into a half robot, half flesh body would do to a kids mind.
>>
File: 1465062552558.jpg (998KB, 1920x1358px) Image search: [Google]
1465062552558.jpg
998KB, 1920x1358px
So, here's my question, if you're playing as a Jovian in the game, you're basically playing as a person who is on average, slower, weaker, dumber, and less skilled than your average trans-human. So what would you do as a Jovian to overcome this disadvantages? How does your character "Humanity Fuck Yeah" his way through the trans-human foes?
>>
>Regardless of what the future holds, we are dug in deeply in the Jovian system. While the transhumans outside our borders continue to take risks, to change themselves into something different, to defy the natural order of things, we are taking the cautious path. We grow steadily, without exponential curves. When your transhuman society has collapsed with the inevitable entropy of anarchy, when your machine gods have reaped all of your souls, when you have accelerated your “evolution” and transcended into nothingness, we humans will still be here, ready to reclaim our birthright and heritage.

Basically, y'all niggas are playing with fire.
>>
>>49936600
The Jovian's are basically those crazy survivalists who build bunkers in their backyards for the coming nuclear apocalypse.

Except the apocalypse already happened, they are the survivors, and now their neighbors seem hellbent on starting another one, so building a bunker doesn't seem so crazy now, does it?
>>
File: Jovians.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Jovians.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>49936600
>>49936674
Pic related?
>>
>>49935937
>pretty hard to do so with friends who want to be trans-humanist, and its even harder when those friends want to have a Firewall oriented game.
There's Jovians in Firewall. If you ignore the little text in the core rulebook about Jovian-Firewall relations, their interests actually align very, very well. Firewall just seems to favour anarchism because the writers are retarded and because they wrote the Jovians to be hurf durf kill Firewall for reasons hurrrr.
>>
>>49936521
>The best that Protestantism has is CK Lewis
>ignoring Luther

Nigger what?
>>
>>49938059
Yeah but Martin Luther fucked it up from word go, and instead of exploring why the early church put 46 books in the old testament he asked the Jews of his era who used 39 books and therefore assumed the early church was bullshitting. His thing about going to confession at least twice a day, while odd, is really just him probably trying to fee prepared should he face a "the temple falls and kills a whole crowd including me" monent
>>
>>49936410
Anything less than an alpha fork is pretty creepy to think about. If you believe in souls (which i think many people do, regardless of their opinions on religion), do all forks have souls? Do they cease to be when you reintegrate? Or do you become both those people?
Though, I guess you both have the stream of consciousness, but gain the different memories. If you delete a fork, however, that seems like murder to me.

I've always wanted to play EC as a guy who's from a scam barge who's entire population are various alpha forms of himself, both physical and virtual. All muses are forks of himself as well. Any ally or enemy merit I'd take would be another fork of himself. It'd be fun to explore the implications and consequences of that as well as letting me play up my narcissism for all its worth
>>
>>49936600
Hey, once I've transcended myself past humanity and beyond until the physical realm is meaningless to me, you can have it to yourselves.
>>
>>49936576
By being a caring, loving person who can give second chances. "Humanity, fuck yeah"
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.