[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Be honest /tg/, how much does Warhammer 40k influence your D&D

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Emprah.gif (1MB, 519x327px) Image search: [Google]
Emprah.gif
1MB, 519x327px
Be honest /tg/, how much does Warhammer 40k influence your D&D campaigns? Or any other RPG campaigns for that matter?
>>
>>49920329
I've been conditioned to believe that grimdark is the default. So much so that when I was DMing a generic game of D&D the other night, when a player asked. >Wait so the government official is corrupt? why has the royal family allowed this?
It was a simple question but it stopped me in my tracks because I had no better answer than "because they're dicks, thats why"
>>
absolutely not at all apart from occasional memery by the members of our groups or using something as a reference to better understand the setting in OOC conversations.

I like variety.
>>
>>49920329
Bad jokes basically
>>
File: Dark_Heresy_Core-1.jpg (256KB, 1303x1707px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Heresy_Core-1.jpg
256KB, 1303x1707px
>>49920329
y'know, it crops up here and there
>>
>>49920329
I avoid grimdark and remain cautious about any "corruption" theme. The corruption thing is more a world of warcraft trauma though.
>>
>>49920329
None at all, unless I'm playing Dark Heresy.

GW is full of hack writers and is a shit product line.
>>
>>49920329
i am more influenced by shadowrun 1E/2E
>>
>>49921653
also, i have been influenced by the grimdark of WFRP 1E as much as by 40K
>>
>>49920329
Not very much. I have one alliance in setting that's pretty 40k, but more noble bright than anything else.
>>
>>49920329
I played a CE cleric of Nurgle who was the nicest guy you'll ever meet, who successfully corrupted the rest of the party when they realized that the "blessings" they were helping me to bestow on all the people we saved was actually me spreading the plague that was ravaging the land.

Good times.
>>
>>49920329
The PF campaign I'm going to run after my group finishes the current one will have a custom setting with loosely 40k-based inspirations translated into high fantasy (and closer to noblebright than grimdark).
>>
I added four gods of Chaos into my game's lore, but changed it up so that they created the universe, then made other gods meant to be less powerful than them and subservient, but these lesser gods turned out to be mega powerful, overthrew the Chaos gods, turned them into dragons, and cast them to the world below.
>>
>>49920329
not me but my cuz likes to deference similar ideas in characters then we proceed to screw that grimdark shit over, we even fought a group of lawful evil "paladins" in yellow armor that were like lvl 5
>>
>>49923575
*reference
>>
>>49920329

Next to none, I tend to take my power armor cues from Armour or Starship Troopers.

My armor tends to be influenced by A Boy and His Tank and Hammer's Slammers with a dash of Battletech.
>>
>>49920329

it influences Warhammer 40K and Warhammer fantasy games but not others so far I think
>>
>>49920329
The Necromancer's guards are iron skeletons with staves that shoot green spells and have swords attached to them.
All branches of government have Latin titles
Magicians are hunted down by the Inquisition (Though I guess that's more Fantasy than 40K)
Elves are dicks
>>
File: THE TOA.jpg (479KB, 1280x907px) Image search: [Google]
THE TOA.jpg
479KB, 1280x907px
>>49920329
not as much as BIONICLE
>>
>>49920329
There's an occasional joke or reference. The most blatant was a race of giants (space marines) who worshiped a dead-but-still-living deity (da Emprah) proselytizing in Not!Sengoku-Jidai Japan like Christian Missionaries.

In order to end the Yakuza civil war, they had to steal a commissar's hat. The Monk ended up challenging him to a martial arts tournament, which the Commissar accepted so long as he got to have a champion. So he picked their version of a Chaptermaster.

Despite one of them being a hill giant in plate armor and sporting a Power Fist, and the other one being a level 4 Monk, the PC managed to win by abusing maneuver rules so hard he threw the fucker through a building, successfully knocking him out.

Due to the marines absolutely loving this badass little human, he ended up converting to Emprah worship (with all the RL downsides that being Christian in Japan back then meant) and achieving celebrity status throughout Not!Kyoto.

Did I do good?
>>
>>49923195
I like this one.
>>
>>49920329
Very little. I like realistic grades of fantasy for my D&D games. Lower power levels and better story/paradigm integration. Too much pure stupidity in the writing of 40k for it be much influence.

So I guess you could say a lot, in that I try to avoid all the mistakes I see in the 40k line development.
>>
>>49920329
Less than Warhammer Fantasy influences Warhammer 40k.
>>
>>49920410
The best way to salvage that conceptually when you weren't trying for grimdark is "There's been so much plotting over the years, everyone defaults to it. They aren't evil themselves, but you have to watch your back and its better to have someone bad that you can blackmail into good than someone who you don't know if they're bad or pretending and have no leverage over." Gray morality, neutral alignments.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.