[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sell me on your favorite game/system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: Fresh Knight of Beil-Aire.jpg (99KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Fresh Knight of Beil-Aire.jpg
99KB, 960x720px
Looking to branch out, played 40k years ago but have been looking to get back into tabletop.
>>
Mechanically I'm finding guildball the most fun right now. Doesn't really require any terrain either which is huge for me. All the rules and even paper cutouts for the models are available here http://steamforged.com/resources/ check out the quick start rules and see if it looks like your thing. I guess the one downside for me is its a sports ball game and I prefer war gaming.
>>
GURPS

When you finally play GURPS you'll regret you weren't all along.
>>
File: 1422990895117.jpg (97KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
1422990895117.jpg
97KB, 610x458px
>>49907766
Cam here to say this>>49907924
I still play other systems, try out and look at new ones, but I can't help but think "no, this really isn't as good as GURPS" whenever I'm playing anything else.
>>
First look into what people around you are playing, or could be talked into playing, because you usually need someone to play against.
>>
>>49907924
I hate when I get fished into playing GURPS, but then again I really despise D20 systems.
>>
no, you'll just drag it down.
>>
Bumping because page 10 and I have time so fuck it I'll sperg about my favorite systems
>>
>>49908959
Right. Because the way you produce random numbers is what really matters.
>>
Malifaux is pretty good. It's about completing objectives rather than killing people, so you have entirely viable crews of dancers and news reporters able to compete with armed to the teeth German mercenaries and demons. It also uses decks of playing cards for an extra level of resource management.
>>
>>49912863
He is referring to the common rules that D&D and its derived systems have. That said D20s are a shitty way of generating random numbers. They are super swingy and/or don't have the granularity or nice bell curve that other systems do.
>>
If you liked 40k's setting, check out Epic Armageddon. It is an actually good game based in the 40k universe. The game play is based on activations, rather than turns, with more organized armies having better chances of retaining initiative and moving multiple battalions. As a unit is fired at and/or damaged, its overall effectiveness is impared and once a threshold of damaged is reached, bases are removed. You can paint an army quickly, and it is way cheaper than 40k even when considering that you might have to ebay some of the more peculiar 40k machines. Most infantry has active 3rd party manufacturers.

Jervis Johnson games are always good.
>>
Infinity.
>>
>>49912885
You can play around not having a bell curve (in fact, it is beneficial when you need to calculate the worth of bonuses) and anything more granular than a d20 is getting into pointless category.
>>
>>49913014
>Epic
>3rd party manufactures
Lolno.
>>
Meh, what's the point? My favorite game is shit that nobody plays anyway.
>>
>>49907766
>Car Wars 2.5 CWC

More tactical and technical depth than any commercial game (except maybe infinity). Your builds will vary wildly depending on your opponents and conditions. There is no fotm or cheese, since everything has hidden advantages and disadvantages which are not apparent until the item is used in realistic conditions. It's also easy to transition it between a wargame, an rpg or arena game. Play whatever you feel like playing and use the same pool of characters and equipment to do so. You can also make an entire set on your own from foam and cardboard, at any scale you want, and use model cars and railroad scenery.

>X-Wing

A deceptively complex game with easy to follow basic rules and a lot of combinations. The only downside is the cost, getting everything you need can cost almost as much as 40k. Very playable and, unlike car wars, very easy to find players. Models are easy to repaint and customise. You can even put them on magnets (which takes ten minutes), and pitch and yaw them as you move them around the board.
>>
>>49907766
Everyone around here plays Guild Ball, Warmahordes, Malifaux, or X-Wing. Don't know where you are, but they may be worth looking into.
>>
>>49915876
I get turned off by guild ball for one simple reason. Every time it's brought up in conversation one person around the table will begin parroting the same spiel, and promoting the game as if he had a personal interest in doing so.
>>
Malifaux is brilliant, but right now I'm getting into Tanks..it's better balanced than WarThunder at the very least.
>>
>Combined arms WW2 game
>Played with cheap 1/72 or 10mm plastic minis
>Quick and easy to play
>Basic rules and army lists free to download
>Main rules with built in map campaign system
>Extensive army lists - allow free form list writing, almost no restrictions
>Balanced and playtested over 5 years
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/191978/Ostfront--Main-Rules
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 600x600px
>>49913014
>>49915580
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/
>>
>>49907766
Most recently I've been interested in Frostgrave.
Similar idea to Mordheim with some notable exceptions.
You only level one guy, the wizard who is also your warband's leader. You can choose a school of magic for him and some spells from a total of 80 in the basic game.

Rules are quite a bit more abstract, which is a good thing. Most things are resolved with a single roll of a d20 after which boni/mali are applied.

The good thing about it is, that you can use just about any miniature you want.
Want to do a generic medieval fantasy warband? Knock yourself out. Want to play a 1001 Nights inspired warband including Genies and what not? Just play a summoner and use appropriate miniatures.
Or a warband of Orcs, Lizardmen or whatever else you can think of really.

Basically a perfect excuse to collect everything you want and still have a use for the minis.
>>
>>49913344
> Sell me.
Not OP but I've looked at the rules and such for Infinity. I've been told it's great but the rules seem fairly bulk standard small scale shootout. Am I missing something or are the rules as read but more fun when you're in the moment>?
>>
>>49916773
I'm holding off my Titans until I see what size the new GW ones are. I have two metal Space Marine (2e) Warhounds and they are weedy. I'd be cool to have a towering new style Warhound to tower over my force.
>>
File: IMAG0659.jpg (738KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0659.jpg
738KB, 1344x760px
Dystopian Wars. If you miss complaining about GW, you'll love Spartan 'unmedicated ADHD' Games!

But nah bro, find out what your local clubs are playing. It's a hell of a lot easier to join a player group than it is to build your own.

shilling DW is hard
>>
>>49907766
My favorite system is actually a homebrew system that my group and I have developed over two decades of play.

It's roughly based on 3rd edition D&D, with a bunch of subsystems and house rules added to make the game run more like we want.

For instance, Armor Class is replaced with a Dodge rating and damage reduction, based on your armor. Spellcasters don't start off with magic abilities, but gradually acquire them over the course of the campaign.

I guess I'm more so trying to sell you on the idea of making a system of your own with your friends, built out of other systems you've played.
>>
>>49917597
I think they said the new stuff would be 8mm. Because, y'know, fuck the people who already own stuff.
>>
I play 40k and Guild Ball. Steam forged seems to be more focused on making the game good and less on selling mini's. Although the box set coming out in a month looks pretty good.
>>
>>49907766
>played 40k years ago
OP is old or time traveller
>>
>>49919762
What are you on about, mate? If the last time I played 40k was in 2013 I could say that I played it years ago.
>>
>>49919833
He's saying you played 40,000 years ago.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.