[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elf >Lithe, elegant Mary-Sues with a sense of self-superiority

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: Jeff Easley - Warrior.jpg (77KB, 369x750px) Image search: [Google]
Jeff Easley - Warrior.jpg
77KB, 369x750px
Elf
>Lithe, elegant Mary-Sues with a sense of self-superiority

Dwarf
>Raucous, alcoholic Scotsmen obsessed with honor and/or gold

Human
>Actual characters with depth and variety

If you allow demihuman players in your campaign you are inviting scum to the table.
>>
File: 1475887032957.png (385KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475887032957.png
385KB, 1080x1080px
Everything about this has been said already a million times, I will just take a seat and watch the shit show unfolding again.
>>
File: 1475372826128.jpg (266KB, 959x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1475372826128.jpg
266KB, 959x1200px
>>49907436
Shut up and post more men in skimpy armor.
>>
Maybe their like that if the people playing them are incompetent at RP'ing. People who have actual imagination will most of the time try to make them actual characters, or at leas that's been my experience.
>>
>>49907436
Shut up stupid.
>>
>>49907436
>Elf
Courtly artistic rapists that kill livestock and play music.

>Dwarf
Hairy maggot-men rapists that are great smiths from making hair to booze from poets blood.

>Human
Enlightened apes that have fucked and killed their way to dominance of the world.
>>
cool
sage
>>
File: Character motivations.jpg (86KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Character motivations.jpg
86KB, 960x540px
>>49907492
>breastplate on lower part of torso
>bare-chested on upper part

It's fun to see Romans getting the 300 treatment, but is he wearing some kind of breastplate corset? Or is his tummy so ticklish that he actually needs armor there?
>>
>>49907436
>Raucous, alcoholic Scotsmen obsessed with honor and/or gold
Raucous, alcoholic and "obsessed with gold" are redundant here just FYI.
>>
File: Beakie_has_a_soda.jpg (139KB, 533x688px) Image search: [Google]
Beakie_has_a_soda.jpg
139KB, 533x688px
>>49907436
Demihuman characters should all have some sort of neurological, mental or personality disorder by human standards. Manic-depressive dwarves and narcoleptic elves are cooler than vanilla tolkien stuff.
>>
>>49908591
I assumed tolkien elves were already manic depressive. They alternate between high strung lunatics that burst into flames upon death and crybaby whiners that get so sad they literally fade from existence
>>
>>49908676
>and crybaby whiners that get so sad they literally fade from existence
Which elf did that?
>>
>>49908676
>>49908739
WHICH ELF DID THAT
>>
>>49908591
Actually that's one of the medical dudes putting a geneseed from a dead spess muhreen into a containment unit.
>>
>>49909293
The only what any elves can die is by either getting stabbed to death or simply being so sad they die. Luthien was so sad even in death that the god of death decided to send her back with her boytoy so she wouldn't be so sad
>>
>>49909360
>Luthien was so sad even in death that the god of death decided to send her back with her boytoy so she wouldn't be so sad
Yeah, because she was a woman madly in love.
>>
>>49909384
>Yeah, because she was a woman
FTFY
>>
>>49907436
>Mary-Sues

You have no idea what that term means.
>>
>>49908451
I think if I had to choose, I'd want my guts protected too.
>>
>>49907436
Blacks
>strong, fast, but dumb primitive people
Asians
>tiny nerds who care about muh honour
Native American
>dude weed lmao spirit animal sons of the earth proto hippies
White guys
>dude there's too many to make any stereotype desu, other than can't dance

Yeah real life does this too? Who knew?
>>
>>49907436

I totally reject the notion that Dwarfs talk like Scotsman and I believe this sad tropes origin is the very first Warcraft vidya game.
>>
>>49907492
I've always loved how people rag on Frazetta for drawing too many skimpy women, but if you actually looked through his portfolio you'd see he drew WAY more dudes in thongs with their asses hanging out than women.
>>
>>49908676
>get so sad they literally fade from existence

This sounds like an allegory for suicide. But I guess elves are too serenely perfect to hang themselves or leap from bridges as men do.
>>
Elves
>Power fantasies for skinny "intellectuals"

Dwarfs
>Power fantasies for fat obnoxious nerds who like to drink

Humans
>Wants the extra feat
>>
>>49909560
do people still really think like this or did i miss me some sarcasm
>>
>>49909852

I see them as speaking generic english, maybe a bit on the archaic side. Maybe with a thicker and swedish accent if they work with rune forging.
>>
>>49907436
Oh boy, it's another
>I need to make shit up about the other, much more interesting races, to mask my own insecurities about my boring as shit character designs
thread
>>
>>49913397
One leaped into the core of the earth. Bridges are too smalltime for elves
>>
I'm so glad someone bumped this shitty bait thread.
>>
>>49907436

Human
>Stereotypical member of whatever class they decide to be.

FTFY
>>
>>49913534
>much more interesting races
faggot spotted
>>
>>49909852
The first Warcraft game didn't have dwarves. Just orcs and humans. Dwarves were in the second one.
>>
>>49916933
Name one thing that humans have that sets them apart from other races.

Oh wait, you can't, because humans are the stale white bread of whatever setting they're a part of that's only chosen when you have no better character idea to go off of.
>>
>>49909852
D&D
>>
>>49917000
Well, for one, they're not "muh unique snowflakes", and are actually characters instead of a whole race exhibiting the same shitty stereotypical behaviour
>all dwarves love gold
>all dwarves love to drink
etc. shit
>>
File: Human ability.png (27KB, 431x320px) Image search: [Google]
Human ability.png
27KB, 431x320px
>>49917000
No level cap.
>>
File: Popcorn.png (292KB, 980x1004px) Image search: [Google]
Popcorn.png
292KB, 980x1004px
>>49907491
Here
>>
>>49917026
>Well, for one, they're not "muh unique snowflakes", and are actually characters instead of a whole race exhibiting the same shitty stereotypical behaviour

See pic related for my IRL response to that bullshit.

Every human I've seen played has been a stereotype of whatever class they came from.

If they're fighters, they tend to be gruff and jaded war veterans that have "seen some shit," if they're rogues then they're two-faced shitheads who constantly tries to get away with stupid bullshit, if they're barbarians then they're dumb muscle, etc. etc.

Also, if they're from a culture that's modeled off of anything that resembles an IRL culture, they tend to be played as a racist stereotype of whatever IRL race they're based off of.

So it's not that humans tend to be less stereotypical, it's just that they can be stereotypical in a lot more distracting ways.
>>
>>49917029
Level caps hasn't been a thing for over 20 years anon. Even then, they quickly phased that shit out like they did with female characters being capped on how high their physical scores can go and THAC0

Try again.
>>
>>49917104
The fact that the people you play with are shit doesn't really affect the argument. Non-human races are assigned these archetypes in almost every setting from the get go, ie. the races are boring as shit
>>
>>49917134
And by that token, every class is assigned an archtype in almost every setting from the get go as well.

Also, "just stop playing with shitters" doesn't have much weight in this argument since the same could be said to you believing that every non-human race acts exactly the same.
>>
>>49917159
I'm talking about professional writers and the way races are portrayed, not about retards with limited imaginations. And if you think
>Non-human races are assigned these archetypes in almost every setting from the get go
is the same as
>every non-human race acts exactly the same.
then you REALLY need to spruce up on your reading comprehension
>>
>>49907436
Yeah, yeah, we get it. You're a precious, special little snowflake because you're oh so down to earth and practical.
>>
>>49917000
An all consuming fear of death that pushes them to start wars, learn and master things quickly, and generally be more willing to go out and adventure to see more of the world before they die
>>
>>49917192
>I'm talking about professional writers and the way races are portrayed, not about retards with limited imaginations.

I can make the exact same argument for how classes are portrayed.

You're arguing about stereotypes while claiming that other stereotypes don't count.

Just stop playing with unimaginative retards (or stop being one yourself) and you'll find that you'll have a much better time at the table overall.
>>
>>49907436
Are you going to start screaming and crying about kitsune and the hero's journey next, faggot?
>>
>>49917254
That honestly sounds more orkish than human.

I mean, they go out into the world to kill, pillage, and rape but it's still generally the same principle for a nomadic tribe of warriors.
>>
>>49917260
You're literally making up arguments and responding to those.
>You're arguing about stereotypes while claiming that other stereotypes don't count.
Where have I mentioned classes at all, one way or the other?
>>
>>49907436
Don't kid yourself. Every race is only a stereotype.

That's why my character has no race: it forces me to play a character, not a stereotype.
>>
>>49917288
All I'm saying is, any game that describes what the "average" person of a particular race/class/region/etc. is will more often than not become a stereotype because people are lazy and only read the cliff notes.

I've been in many systems where races were a thing and I've never encountered the supposed stereotypes that you claimed were prevalent.

Seriously, if you're pissed off at seeing nothing but drunk dwarves and the like, just bite the bullet and get a new group, or just stop playing altogether.

That or use a system where it doesn't describe what the average member of a particular thing is.
>>
>>49917342
I don't play pen n paper rpg's. Like I've said like 4 times, I'm talking about the way races are in different settings (so books, movies etc.), not about what kind of shitty backstories hobbyists make up.
>>
>>49917397
Then stop consuming shitty media and do something else with your time.

Last (You) you'll get from me.
>>
>>49917397
>I don't play pen n paper rpg's
Why are you in this thread then?
>>
>>49907436
Nice b8, 4/10.
>>
>>49909944
Such facts are inconvenient to the terminally offended and thus ignored.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.