[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whsat are your picks for the top 10 MTG cards of 2016?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: tks.jpg (12KB, 178x248px) Image search: [Google]
tks.jpg
12KB, 178x248px
Whsat are your picks for the top 10 MTG cards of 2016?
>>
In no particular order

>Thought Knot
>Kalitas
>Kozileks Return
>Elder Deep Fiend
>Nahiri
>Emrakul
>Spell Queller
>Grim Flayer
>Torrential Gearhulk
>Copter
>>
>>49898741
1. Thought-Knot Seer: I don't even think there's an argument against this at the #1 spot. It's widely played in Modern, Legacy, AND Vintage, and it's probably the most impactful creature since Deathrite Shaman.

2. Nahiri, the Harbinger: Like Jace, Vryn's Prodigy last year, this card was this year's supposedly jank planeswalker that came out of nowhere and proved to be an amazing card. A clear #2 in my opinion.

3. Prized Amalgam: Prior to the release of this card, Modern Dredge was unplayable. This card single handedly made Dredge tier 1 in the format, in a similar fashion to how Siege Rhino revived Modern Junk back in 2014. Definitely the #3 card of 2016.

Biggest Failures of 2016:

Chandra, Torch of Defiance: The card that wins the 2016 "Golden Narset" Trophy. A planeswalker that was hyped to oblivion but turned out to be garbage.

Gisela, the Broken Blade: People hailed this as the new Baneslayer Angel. They were so, very wrong.

Arlinn Kord: Was hyped to hell, but not as much as Chandra. The real reason this makes the list is that it's this year's Kytheon: a planeswalker that was hyped, while the real star of the set was the walker that everyone bashed.
>>
>>49898741
I don't even think #1 and #2 are up for debate, it's TKS and Nahiri (respectively), no question about it. The rest is up for debate as to what order they should be in, but Queller, Copter, Deep Fiend, Amalgam, Kalitas, Flayer, Blue Hulk, and Recruiter of the Guard should make up the remaining 8 spots of the top 10.
>>
>>49900714
Amalgam is played in Modern, Legacy, and Vintage as a 4x. Nahiri sees play in a single deck. I don't see why Nahiri is #2.
>>
>>49901772
Also Standard in Emerge lists which is another format Nahiri doesn't exist in.
>>
Thought-Knot Seer, Prized Amaglam, Kalitas, Nahiri, Reality Smasher, Grim Flayer, Kozilek's Return, Matter Resharper, Selfless Spirit and Cathartic Reunion.
>>
>>49901772
>Amalgam
>vintage
Nope.
>>
>>49902165
Is there anyone playing competitive Vintage anywhere?
Also don't feed OP's Youtube channel.
>>
File: 168[1].jpg (74KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
168[1].jpg
74KB, 312x445px
>>49898899
>single handedly

He had a little help. The continuation of cheap Red rummaging effects was instrumental for providing Dredge with the ability to begin powering through their deck in the first turns. Being able to discard a Dredge card and then Dredge it off the same effect is extraordinarily useful.

Prized Amalgam mostly served to give the deck teeth.
>>
>>49900714
Amalgam is definitely #2, Nahiri and Kalitas are the #3 and #4 spots.

>>49901811
Actually, she's one of the most popular walkers in Kaladesh Standard. But yeah, last Standard, she was nowhere, up there with Arlinn Kord, Narset, and Kiora as one of the least played walkers. Although that was more due to her being red, the worst color in the format.
>>
>>49901898
Matter Reshaper over Displacer?
>>
File: image.png (129KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
129KB, 223x311px
You forget the most widely played common since lightning bolt.
>>
>>49904297
You mean since Lightning STRIKE
>>
>>49904297
This. I know there are more powerful cards, but that's a solid common right there. I know Brago is happy when it hits the field, because it flies under the radar, builds up my artifact count AND is emergency card draw. I also feel like the Journal and Westvale are underrated, at least from an edh perspective. Both are staples in most decks that can play them.
>>
>>49898741
TKS is #1. Amalgam, Kalitas, Nahiri, and Copter are all interchangeable at the #2-5 spots. The #6-10 spots are highly contested among alot of great cards.
>>
Selfless Spirit is amazing, and I'm finding myself putting it into almost every white deck I brew these days.
>>
>>49904297
Yeah. This is a solid 2 of in every X/W deck in standard right now and I've seen multiple modern deck incorporate it.
>>
>>49904297
>In Standard

Eh.
>>
>>49898741
I keep reading Thought-Knot Seer in the tune of
>Cat Scratch Fever
And I can't fucking stop.
>>
File: 1443499704950.jpg (132KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
1443499704950.jpg
132KB, 396x554px
>>49898741
What the hell happened to Eldrazis? why are they basically blue now? who is responsible for that?
>>
File: Image.png (126KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
126KB, 223x311px
>>
>>49905614
>Picks a standard card for a best of 2016 thread
>Surprised
Well let me just list the power nine then
>>
>>49906120
They are not. There's more to the new Eldrazi than Thought Knot Seer (Which I would associate more with black than blue).
>>
>>49906120
Eldrazi brainfuck people.
Blue also brainfucks people.
>>
>>49906020
...shit, me too now. Damn you.
>>
I can only really go off my own experience, but ins some semblance of a descending order;

>Thought-Knot Seer
>Kozilek's Return
>Nahiri the Harbinger
>Torrential Gearhulk
>Smuggler's Copter
>Prized Amalgam
>Elder Deepfiend
>Thing in the Ice
>Spell-Queller
>Avacyn

Special 11th place to Reflector Mage for winning me more games than any of those above.

I had a lot of fun with Insolent Neonate, Voldaren Pariah, and Kalitas for letting me fuck around with Vampires again in standard, but I don't think any of those except maybe Pariah hit top 20.

>>49898899
That much hate for Gisela? I mean, she's not great, but maybe it's a combination of bias for using her to pretty good effect and that she wasn't really hyped at my store keeps me from seeing her as such a failure.
>>
>>49907471
Gislea's fault was her 3 toughness. Every standard burn spell for creatures that matter do exactly 3 damage, making her useless.
>>
1. Thing in the Ice
2. Reflector Mage
3. Thing in the Ice
4. Thraben Inspector
5.Thing in The Ice
6. Processors Assault
7. Start your Engines
8. Veteran Motorist
9. Transgress the Mind
10. Thing in The Ice
>>
>>49907319
There are more than 10 cards that have made impact in multiple formats. It would be a little weird to include one that's only a single format all-star.
>>
>>49907638
It's also used in modern. I also saw a vintage deck use it but that might not be a view of the whole picture.
>>
>>49907714
>It's also used in modern
Where?
>>
File: laughing_sluts.jpg (241KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_sluts.jpg
241KB, 850x500px
electrostatic pummeler
thraben inspectror
bane of balla ged
thing in the ice
lightning axe
fevered visions
>>
Commander 2016 hasn't even come out. How do you know there isn't going to be a bomb card somewhere in there that instantly becomes a commander staple?
>>
>>49906120
Drowner of Hope is the scumbag responsible for the blue-ization of Eldrazis
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.