[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I made a campaign for some friends, right? Nearly two years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

So I made a campaign for some friends, right? Nearly two years in the making. Carefully calculated to appeal to everyone in the group. Someone got so excited about the setting they made some props just because they thought they were neat. This same guy tells me that the number one rule of DnD is "don't piss down the DM's leg".

Two sessions in. Two sessions. Not even out of the prologue. And it turns out that this guy doesn't get along with one of my other friends, and tells me this by letting me know that this other friend is an Objectively Bad Person and so am I if I keep being friends with him, and that it's my responsibility as DM to make sure he and his wife are perfectly comfortable at all times, and the situation needs to be fixed by strongly censuring the friend in question, without any change of behavior on their part.

What did the other guy do? He occasionally got excited and interrupted people, and he misfired a spell and got people caught in the AoE. That's it.

I didn't take kindly to the ultimatum. Now I'm down two friends from a years old friendship, and out a campaign that was years in the making.

Tell me stories of That Guy ruining everything for everyone, /tg/. Make me feel better with your pain.
>>
>>49892654
No
>>
>>49892733
well fuck you too buddy
>>
File: C-MOON.gif (2MB, 316x315px) Image search: [Google]
C-MOON.gif
2MB, 316x315px
>>49892654
>Playing Only War game
>mostly battles with little RP
>doesn't matter, GM makes the best encounters
>learn how to RP with actions alone
>fun for months

>enter Ogryn Player
>he is mostly quiet, nothing wrong with that
>come critical mission
>the GM starts making encounters where we need to actually talk to people
>trying to do some information digging with some local to set up sabotage
>his son enters the house
>Ogryn remembers cleaves him in half because Ogryns are afraid of the indoors and son "startled" him
>GM needs to call a break to recover and the campaign ends with that day's session

Why did you do this Ogryn Player? You were a cool dude up until that point.
>>
>>49892748
Your story sucked and was uninspired
-1/10
>>
>>49892874
well, here's the thing

fuck you too, buddy
>>
>>49892733
>>49892874
You wouldn't happen to be the guy in the story, would you?
>>
>>49892901
Doubtful. One of the reasons things blew up so badly is because, as it turns out, That Guy had some long-simmering resentments about my worldview.

Namely, he thought heavy censorship of most things in the name of protecting people's feelings was necessary, and I thought that was bullshit.

Not really a 4chan-condusive worldview.
>>
File: 1440537746507.png (1MB, 1019x881px) Image search: [Google]
1440537746507.png
1MB, 1019x881px
>>49892654
i accidentally became that guy and ruined myself
>new to roleplaying
>only played adnd and a little 3.5
>guy at local game club starts a shadowrun game
>oh cool that looks like a neat setting
>talk to him to try to get a feel for the game and who everyone else is playing so my character wont take someone elses niche
>the team needs someone more stealth oriented and only has one mage so i make a sneaky shaman
>after doing a little research find a cool totem
>Scorpion totem aka the paranoid asshole totem
>i figure that shadowrun is a great setting for a shady character and this totem gives me alot of roleplaying ideas
>im the sneaky paranoid asshole that doesnt get along too well with the group (as dictated by my totem)
>3/5 of the people i play with are convinced that my character is going to betray the group at some point
>the decker has hacked all of my electronics and has used diplomacy once to "convince" me to go along with one of his plans
>mage constantly reminds me that she's better at magic then me
>group muscle constantly threatening me and looking over my shoulder

the worst part is we keep ending up in situations where stealth isnt even remotely an option so they joke about how useless my character is

tldr i played myself
>>
>>49893009
Man, that's not being That Guy, that's good interparty conflict.

You'd be That Guy if you let metagame stuff influence your decisions, or went out of your way to screw people over while explaining "that's just my totem" while smiling smugly. As it stands, you're the party's token weasel, and if you play your cards right there'll be a great payoff for all the distrust. Talk to the DM about it, come up with some ideas together.
>>
>>49892941
Fuck that wuss. Waste no time for cowards and fools in this life, anon.
>>
>>49893081
Yeah, like I said, we're not exactly friends anymore.

The shame of it is that this is a comparatively recent change in him. He and his wife and I were super, super close friends for almost a decade. And it ended over a hissyfit and spending too much time on tumblr.
>>
>>49892654
>this other friend is an Objectively Bad Person and so am I if I keep being friends with him, and that it's my responsibility as DM to make sure he and his wife are perfectly comfortable at all times, and the situation needs to be fixed by strongly censuring the friend in question, without any change of behavior on their part.

Too many uses of "him/he/his" and the sudden change to "their" doesn't help.

Your story reads like,
>if I am to be friends with friend A then it is my responsibility to ensure friend A and friend A's, or maybe friend B's wife, are comfortable at all times.
I think it's perfectly reasonable that you should do that, unless it is friend B's wife friend A is getting comfortable with in which case nah, breaking wedding vows is out of my comfort zone.
>>
>>49892790
I find it hillarious and somehow in character.
Sure, that makes things more difficult for the mission but hey, no game should be linear and easy.
>>
>>49892941
So, basically "Muh safe space" bullshit.
Good ridance.
>>
>>49893126
Fair enough. Let me parse a little better.

Friend A, and Friend A's wife, Friend B, want to be comfortable and have a good time. That's fair.

However, Friend A's list of demands to ensure their good time includes: heavily censuring Friend C's behavior, predicting what things Friend C is doing that bother Friends A or B without Friend A or B actually speaking up about being bothered until well after the fact (it "should be obvious"), severely punishing Friend C for any in-game mistakes, and resolving the interpersonal conflicts between Friends A and C without them ever talking to each other about it.

Basically, for Friend A to have a good time, Friend C can't have a good time. Compromises are unacceptable, because Friend C is an objectively bad person and trying to ensure that he also has a good time is throwing Friends A and B under the bus.
>>
>>49893283
In addendum: Friend C responded to all this by apologizing for being the source of drama and offering to bow out of the game, which made it pretty clear that it was Friend C who I actually wanted to game with,
>>
>>49892654
Don't throw the notes or props away.

Keep them and re-use everything.

Remember kids, as long as you don't reveal anything and your players don't enter the dungeon, you can use the same map for a different dungeon.
>>
>>49893327
What were Friend A, Friend B, and Friend C's political leanings?

Because if Friend C differed in any significant way they disagree with, then that was the root cause of it and they used your game as an excuse to bully him for thinking differently.

If Friend C was gay, they might have been trying to punish him for being gay.
If Friend C didn't want to vote for Hillary, they might have been trying to punish him for his political choices.

If this is the case, confront A and B about it. Friends who make these unreasonable demands are not friends.
>>
>>49892654
I've heard of GMs who are slow at prep but 2 years is ridiculous
>>
>>49893283
Friend A sounds like an entitled colossal piece of shit.
>>
>>49895025
I'm VERY surprised he even has friends let alone a wide wife.
>>
>>49893327
If I was C, I wouldn't want to play with such slimes either - going to the DM? is this grade school? And if what you said about what he did is the totality of his crimes against humanity and bon ton, you shouldn't either.
>>
>>49895100
Is she wide?
Is she WIDE?
>>
>>49895100
>wide wife
I'm sure she's like, super fucking wide. Anyone can get one of those.
>>
>>49895100
>wide wife
Holy shit.
>>
>>49895100
Dubs can't lie.
She must be the widest wife in the county, a wide county wife if you will.
>>
>>49895386
Country-wide wife, bro, c'mon.
>>
>>49895425
But then it won't be punny.
The post, I mean, the girl will never be.
>>
>>49893283
>predicting what things Friend C is doing that bother Friends A or B without Friend A or B actually speaking up about being bothered until well after the fact (it "should be obvious")

Oh man. Did they try to get you to use "X Cards" in the game? That would be the perfect icing on the shit-cake.
>>
Why did you let an entire campaign die because a couple of people left ? Do you live in an area with 4 D&D players in it or something ?

I mean I've had plenty if that guy's in my games and in general I've just talked it through with them and when it hasn't worked out very asked them to leave , got new players or just played with less and carried on. There's always more players than GMs after all.
>>
>tfw you had to throw out your seat cushions because they smelled like neckbeard ass sweat

it was a good group though
>>
>>49895823
Rank as fuck.

I've some friends who ran a campaign with just two players. It's doable with less.
>>
File: tumblr_lr1f2aQqq91r2g7mto1_500.png (150KB, 440x272px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lr1f2aQqq91r2g7mto1_500.png
150KB, 440x272px
>>49892654

>Be me
>friend is running a game, the guy seems really pumped about it
>just got married, wife is interested in joining up the game
>get there, some new guy I've never met
>he interrupts me, my wife, the other players, and the GM constantly
>plays a Chaotic Randum wizard, another player gets caught in the crossfire when he starts throwing fireballs for no reason
>after session I tell my friend he needs to get new guy to tone it down
>friend spergs at me like this is the most unreasonable thing he's ever heard
>decide the wife and I won't keep coming to the game, though I still want to be friends with GM
>>
>>49895875
Are you Friend A?
>>
>>49895930

No, just playing with the idea OP might not be telling the true story.

The way he's telling it sounds like a lot might be exaggerated out of anger. >>49893283 paints an incredibly dictatorial, bullying picture and I'm naturally skeptical of any internet story painting some stranger so unsympathetically.
>>
>>49895997
You must think everyone smells of roses then?
People can be incredibly dictatorial and bullying, and goddamn overbearing.
>>
>>49892941

you'd think that, but I've seen some shit.
>>
>>49893009
>almost all of the party convinced you'll backstab them
>keep trying to make sure they know when you'll backstab them, all the while antagonising you

...at this point, it's beginning to look like they're TRYING to get you to backstab them. I say go for it, then explain that your character got so sick of the bullshit he was having to go through that he decided "fuck these people, they suck".
>>
>>49895278
W I D E
>>
>>49895997

>someone tells a story
>I hate people
>clearly everything he says is a lie

your story isn't even appealing to the idea that people wouldn't be that bad- it's appealing solely to the idea that the OP is lying. What a fucking faggot.
>>
File: Ba Dum Tssh.jpg (18KB, 398x343px) Image search: [Google]
Ba Dum Tssh.jpg
18KB, 398x343px
>>49893009
>ruined myself
Like, can you not get a boner?
>>
>>49893074
>that's good interparty conflict.
Uh, if it's all in-character, it is. It sounds more like the players are just people a dick to him for no reason, like when someone looks at your character sheet, sees your alignment, and then decides they hate you arbitrarily before your characters have even met.
>>
>>49896541

you can pretty easily defend against that by not being evil in a non-evil party, though.
>>
File: that guy from that game.gif (30KB, 266x200px) Image search: [Google]
that guy from that game.gif
30KB, 266x200px
>>49892654
>spell misfire
>interrupting occasionally

misfires are fun and interrupting can be worked on, your pal was a dick.

>wacky warforged thatguy
>canon in his chest
>op as all fuck with passives and power
>constantly trying to tell other people how they should play to their character
>"you wouldn't do this you'd do that because reasons"
>before i joined everyone just let it happen
>fuck THAT noise, raise hell
>get him knocked out of a few games for him to sit in a corner and think about what he's done
>bail after a few more rounds because schedule
>>
>>49893506
The key not to good GMing, but effective GMing.
>>
File: hes right.jpg (50KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
hes right.jpg
50KB, 640x478px
>>49896685
sage advice
>>
>>49896604
I had one person hate me solely because i had a character that wanted to be a saint and that "cramped his rogues style". Never mind the fact that his character never knew I was trying to be a saint...
>>
File: Mental Stress.jpg (95KB, 871x515px) Image search: [Google]
Mental Stress.jpg
95KB, 871x515px
>>49896604
Sure, if you're playing with reasonable people who aren't dicks.

I had a guy attack me because I was a necromancer. Now, I had the alignment Neutral, and I was the Wizard class, but he looked at my sheet, saw I had spells in the necromancy school, and ten seconds into game, attacked me, because, in his own words, "necromancy is against life, and I'm a druid, which is pro-life".

I also had someone hate me once because she was a druid, and I was a ranger, so she decided I killed animals for a living. This made her pissed off at me both in and out of character, despite me NEVER killing any animals in the actual game. Neither of us were listed as evil.

I didn't realize when I started typing those were both druids, but yeah. Some people are just loco.
>>
>>49896754
>I had a guy attack me because I was a necromancer

i was an undead mage/necro type and when i met the party two of them jumped me just for that

i utterly wrecked their shit. felt so good
>>
>>49896890
Yeah, I was a level 1 wizard who lost initiative. I had to run away like a bitch and roll a new character.

It did feel kind of good about three years later, though, when that guy showed up and tried to join a game I was GMing. I don't think he even remembered me. I just laughed at him.
>>
>>49896754

that's different, though. That's people attacking you for your skills.
>>
>>49896953
Well, they are deciding not to trust him because of his skills. Felt like the same type of thing to me, at least as I read it, since he didn't claim to have done anything to justify them disliking him.
>>
>>49897010

i was just responding to the alignment aspect.
>>
File: 1472351456055.jpg (78KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1472351456055.jpg
78KB, 540x960px
>>49894333
>Being gay or a retarded Hillary voter
>Thinking different

Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>49893118
His wife caused it, didn't she.
>>
>>49897113

Wait. Is he proposing in an Apple store?

And nothing wrong with being gay. But there is plenty wrong with being an Apple fanboy.
>>
>>49896604
shaman here
im not even evil
i roll closer to true neutral
i despise bug spirits and attack them on sight and always look out for number 1
it's shadowrun not dnd i thought we were supposed to be shady criminal assholes
>>
>>49897183

Yeah, that's just tasteless. At the very least do it outside the store.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.