[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

So im a newish GM planning on running a game, one of my players requested I allow him to make a character in far stronger than the others (pl12 as opposed to the pl10 of the other characters) with the drawback being that his powers are only available to him when permitted by a certain npc (controlled by me, obviously)

I come before you seeking counsel on this matter, shoul I allow this? It will certainly make balancing encounters very difficult and could lead to issues with the feel of the game, but hes a friend and if it can work id be tempted to allow it, what does your experience say /tg/?
>>
>>49889616
Also general I guess if there isnt one
>>
File: Hero-Envy-Superhero-Capes-Cover.jpg (51KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hero-Envy-Superhero-Capes-Cover.jpg
51KB, 800x600px
>>49889616
>>
Also, does anyone know where to find some sample enemies (not villians but more generic monsters)?
>>
>>49889616
Your powers not being available to you at certain times pretty much a classic complication, but it barring extreme circumstances I wouldn't make it more than that. Do you really envisage that the NPC refusing him his powers on such a regular basis that it more of a problem than Kryptonite is for Superman?
>>
>>49890537
The guy in charge is a cold asshole who is basically untouchable due to being one of the best heroes and providing lots of robots, so maybe.

What im worried about is that if the powers are too readily available it will steal the spotlight and break party relations, becoming a 1 space marine and a few mortals kind of game, resulting in me being forced to introduce enemies that are a threat to him but which would also subsequently trash the others or be left with no possible stakes
>>
>>49890603
Frankly, by introducing this personal connection to 'one of the best heroes' he's already edging in on stealing the spotlight, extra power will simply compound it. You'd practically be setting him up as the protagonist.

With regard to encounter balance, my experience is that characters within a few PL of each other can still throw down reasonably effectively in the same fight, although that comes from varied antagonists vs uniform players. If you pit a PL 12 and three PL 10 characters up against three PL 11s, most of the time none of them will be helpless.(This being M&M there's always a chance that someone will be flat out immune to someone's main attack) Trying to design individual villain that can fight the whole party by shear power will be much harder though. A villain that the PL10s could gang up on with serious difficulty will still be in the PL12s make a fight of it range.

While I don't know you and don't know your players, I wouldn't allow it if I we GMing and wouldn't be happy with if I were playing. Above all talk to the other players involved. If they're happy with it and you think you could run it well, then go for it.
>>
>>49890925
You wouldnt allow it because its unbalanced or based upon the npc connection and justification?

Because the latter is still at the point where it can be freely changed due to the character being in the concept / design stage currently
>>
>>49889616
If they want to play it like that, they don't deserve such large compensation for it.

'if some guy tells me I can't use it I can't use it' isn't much of a flaw. A paladin in another game might tell themself they can't use something - that doesn't earn them extra powers, usually.

If they want extra power, they need it to be more like 'If somebody, including any enemies we fight against, does a certain thing, it deactivates his powers' and that could turn out not awfully fun for them.
>>
>>49889616
No. That shit is annoying and encourages competition between players and a PvP mentality.
>>
>>49892177
Yea, thats the solution proposed in fge book. But he wanted to go as alucard as opposed to superman
>>
>>49889616
Ever read the Sentry stuff in Marvel? This was basically Sentry. A guy who had some sort of super schizophrenia who would be a whiny weak dude for most of a battle, then the rest of the Avengers would get their ass kicked, then he would turn into the Sentry and annihilate the bad guy. Needless to say, nobody liked the Sentry and he became a co-final boss/killed in an event because the fans were super mad.
>>
No. That will annoy the other 3 players as you showing signs of favoritism. Just tell him to make a PL 10 character like everyone else.
>>
Tell him to just seperate his powers/stats into two squares. One square is the stuff he has with or without the outside help. The other gets added on when his power activates or some shit. Give a cost reduction for the stuff in the second box but keep it PL 10.
>>
Since I don't want to make a separate thread:

Whats the best way to do Baccano style immortality?
>>
>>49892942
Please explain what baccano-style immortality is.
>>
>>49892960
1: No aging
2: If you wound them all the bits come back together after a few seconds

Say you blow the dude's head off with a shotgun
After a few seconds, all the blood and meat and brain and bits of bone will flow like water back onto his neck and take its original shape. This works down to at least the molecular level. So if you burn somebody to ash all the ash and smoke will flow back together into meat and bones
>>
>>49893079
Probobally a mixture of regeneration with the buff to fix permanent damage and immortality taken ro rank 30
>>
>>49893173
Also, the viscera can only go so fast. Like, if you chop a dudes leg's off and throw them off a speeding train, you might be able to outrun them for awhile. Any way to represent that?
>>
>>49892942
>>49893079
If you mean 'good way' as in character design way, it's a pretty shit design I'd say without a number of flaws like 'they're a fucking slime, so they kinda lack strength / their body is ripped apart so often and is so unstable they're actually pretty weak and their body falls apart quite easily, despite coming back together again.'

If you just care about it points-wise, probably what other anon said with fucktonnes of immortality.
>>
>>49892621
I was planning on making his character weaker than the rest whenever not actuvated as downside, but it does seem tricky when I decide when his powers activate>>49893198
>>
>>49893202
Theyre not slime, all their molecules go back to the correct configuration they had before they got hurt
>>
>>49893198
Probably not, maybe deduct ranks in distance from time at some rate? It really shouldn't factor in often in any case
>>
>>49893249
Which is exactly why I think it's a bad idea.
It reeks of unexplained 'fuck, I'm just a guy who can't die, I don't know why. Because I'm fucking powerful?' marty stuness.

If I remember right, deadpool made up for it with a horrible appearance beneath his suit and I guess he probably can't reform after completely exploding.

A slime, or some sort of 'elemental' or something that logically might reform sounds much cooler than Superman Except He Has Super Regeneration Powers as if Superman already wasn't immortal
>>
>>49893336
But thats the only power. no super strength, no flying, no eye beams.Just immortality

The top five strongest dudes in the Naritavewrse only includes one immortal, and he doesnt count because hes a two thousand year old, omniscient omnipresent super homonculus. The other four are basically one punch man, a black hole man, a guy with super strength, and some dude
>>
>>49893377
Well, that's not so bad I guess.

It just feels like there should be a bit of fluffing up to make it seem more fitting.

Like, heck, a weird sort of robot-man made up of many, many almost indestructible parts that come back together sounds pretty cool.

I'm probably on the same train though, because I decided to try making 'the most boring character ever' in the form of 'Captain Oblivious'.

A man who is so incredibly mundane, nothing non-mundane affects him and he barely acknowledges or notices the existence of anything non-mundane, and often requires a Captain Obvious to point out things that would be glaringly obvious to most.

... So basically someone who doesn't really have any powers aside from 'fuck you, supernatural.'

Well, whatever. You do you. It's not like you've just made an obnoxious character, because there is still the possibility of enemies putting the guy in a steel box and burying them underground or something.
Slimes and elementals are too cliche anyway, and I fucking hate how most slimes are done.
>>
>>49893450
Yeah, my idea for how to deal with this guy is what they did to the super regenerator guy in Alloy of Law

Use a net

Granted, that failed because he had a stick of dynamite on him, but you can only blow yourself up once before you need to restock your explosives. After that, they just dog piled him with like cops
>>
>>49893503
like 30 cops*
>>
>>49889616
That sounds pretty annoying honestly. In itself, the idea is kind of cool, but in actual play you've got a character who will either be totally useless or outshining the rest of the players. Plus, that's a really shitty drawback. Why would you deny him his powers when you have to fight bad guys all the time? If it just means no powers when out of combat that really is not much of a "weakness."

I'd say it's a bad idea for everyone. Just get him to make a standard character and maybe be nice and tell him to revisit the idea some other time when everyone is comfortable with the system.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.