[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wulin Wuxia Wushu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: a0vT9PV.gif (405KB, 500x212px) Image search: [Google]
a0vT9PV.gif
405KB, 500x212px
Weekly Wulin Weekend Wuxia Thread
/WeWuWeWu/ General

Wuxia is an ancient Martial Arts genre dating back to the late 4th Century(BC), a fictional medium encompassing the passions and treachery of the Shen Zhou, Ancient China, and is often punctuated by high action kung fu fights, an elderly Chinese man holding a baby in a ladder factory who don't want no trouble, a screen encompassing Kamehameha or "THAT" forbidden technique that we haven't seen ever since the blood line ended.

I know you Legends of the Wulin, Wuxia Xiashia whatever the fuck its called people are out there.
We don't have enough threads

How're you doing Viking Wulin guy?

Are we still homebrewing Wild West Wulin?
>>
File: tumblr_m5gxxh1Xp11qabfx1o1_500.gif (940KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m5gxxh1Xp11qabfx1o1_500.gif
940KB, 500x200px
>>49886009
Also help me refine my copypasta, I can only do so much in a 15 minute break
>>
I'm essentially taking Wuxia, Crime Films, and Spelljammer with modern D&D 5e races and throwing them in a blender with a Hindu and Buddhist coat of paint for my upcoming campaign.

I'm deliberately not figuring out too much details as the story is meant to be more personal to the characters, than existential.
>>
>>49886063
I'm in the same boat.

I'm running a high seas adventure in Legends of the Wulin and I don't want to commit to too many things because I don't know which way my players will swing.

Unfortunately most of them are forever DnD types who never want to try out anything, at least not for too long.

Though I am keeping some encounter ideas just in case, i.e. Martial Art pirates that learn their Kung Fu from a specific fish and name themselves after various parts; Fins, Blowhole, Teeth, or variations like Hammerhead
>>
>>49886115
My players are new and like the scifi side of things, so that's why i'm keeping the space, but slowly easing in other elements.

I think it's good to start off with an adventure in mind, as bare as you like, and also the build up from their characters. You don't exist in a vacuum, they come from somewhere, and learned what they can do somehow. I like the Backgrounds feature of 5e for this purpose.
>>
File: Hw2IQNA.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Hw2IQNA.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>49886154
I'm not too familiar with spell jammer, so you're going to DM like an Outlaw Star/Cowboy Bebop type game?
>>
>>49886196
Sort of, but the tech level is much lower. It's actual ships powered by a magical seat called a Helm that a magic user sits in to power and maneuver the ship.

Ships can be like modified age of sail real world ships like galleys, to constructions that resemble animals or insects. It's essentially D&D in space. The setting suffers because it was written to be a thing to connect multiple other settings to one another, but what it had as it's own was pretty good, which is what i'm using.
>>
Let's come up with some Wuxia martial arts or Xianxia magic/daos.

Last thread had:

Sagacious Sheep style - where it's practicioners look harmless and look like they are winning through sheer luck.

Fiendish Goat style - it's practicioners are adept climbers, able to scale any surface with ease but their combat style is brutal to the level of being banned in some countries for it focuses on breaking the opponents bones by ramming attacks.
>>
File: kungfuhustle_stills09.jpg (320KB, 1400x912px) Image search: [Google]
kungfuhustle_stills09.jpg
320KB, 1400x912px
>>49886234
Spell Jammer to me always sounded like a really weird third party supplement and never really like its own thing. Even the name makes me think of some sort of 3.5 dnd prestige class, and not one of the good ones.

Though I see the appeal of DnD in space, one of my favorite characters from 4e was a Tiefling Starlock who I refluffed to just be a human with cybernetics. Unfortunately the DM disappeared forever after he burnt himself out on Protomen references.
It also suffered slightly from a DM waiting for a party consensus of actions.
Can't tell you how many doors I said I opened and walked through before he finally would move on.
Good game otherwise.

My plan is to just have as many useful props for my players without it being obnoxious.
They'll have their external & internal nonsense on cue cards, poker chips for their Chi, and I'm making their Lore sheets color coded for fluff and crunch.
I like poker chips for things, its nice to have a visual representation that you actually 'spend'.
>>
>>49886240
THE MYSTERY OF THE GOAT TOWER
>>
>>49886356
>My plan is to just have as many useful props for my players without it being obnoxious.
>They'll have their external & internal nonsense on cue cards, poker chips for their Chi, and I'm making their Lore sheets color coded for fluff and crunch.
>I like poker chips for things, its nice to have a visual representation that you actually 'spend'.

I also really like the tactile, but me being a poorfag I have to play in the theater of the mind.
>>
File: monk comes down the mountain.jpg (180KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
monk comes down the mountain.jpg
180KB, 1152x768px
So I've recently started running a Legend of the Wulin campaign, I did have a question for anyone who maybe knows the system better than me. So after getting some advice from /tg/ I decided to open with a PvP fight, both to help the players get a feel for the rules and for a dramatic opening, the thing was that the combat lasted for quite a few rounds with no progress on either side (in terms of ripples inflicted), is combat between the xia generally quite long or was it just because one of the two players involved had essentially built pure defense?
>>
File: 1-Kain_Chapter.png (1MB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
1-Kain_Chapter.png
1MB, 700x800px
>>49886850
This is a common problem & can happen for a few reasons

>You are removing Ripples from a character every round instead of letting them build up over time
>You're processing damage wrong
>Your players aren't effectively using their talents properly
>Your players have built their characters poorly
>You have a character with low strike or damage & no alternative form of attack fighting someone who has built themselves around defense

It was probably a poor match up.
Should've had them call it after a few rounds and then fight some shitty defense mooks with a few gimmicks.

Can you explain how you were resolving damage? That might help give us an insight.
It also helps if your players have to kind of do things on the fly. Don't give them 5 minutes to figure out the perfect reply to every situation, and they can also re-use the same counter/move, but maybe refluff it slightly for the situation. It'd get old reinventing the bicycle every time
>>
File: huhuhuhu.jpg (28KB, 627x325px) Image search: [Google]
huhuhuhu.jpg
28KB, 627x325px
>>49886240
>Sheer Luck
>>
>>49887280
>You are removing Ripples from a character every round instead of letting them build up over time
nope, they kept any ripples they inflicted until the end of the fight when they got rolled
>You're processing damage wrong
when attacker's strike beats defender's block/dodge they roll damage vs toughness, if damage beats toughness then ripples are inflicted and possibly rolled for depending on by how much?
>You have a character with low strike or damage & no alternative form of attack fighting someone who has built themselves around defence
As I said one player had built a character with very good defence, and very little attack, the other was built in the opposite direction and as a result both had trouble damaging the other

We did cancel the fight after a few rounds, the next fight against some bandit mooks went much better
>>
File: ripples.png (33KB, 391x288px) Image search: [Google]
ripples.png
33KB, 391x288px
>>49887545
>when attacker's strike beats defender's block/dodge they roll damage vs toughness, if damage beats toughness then ripples are inflicted and possibly rolled for depending on by how much?

Maybe, not entirely sure if you're on point here.

>Initiative Happens
>Player A goes first and attacks
>he chooses if his attack is harder to block or dodge, opponent gets a -5 penalty to the chosen defense
>Player B rolls his lake, picks a set and adds his footwork or block depending
>If Player A's roll is higher then it results in a Ripple
>if its high enough it forces a Rippling Roll
>During a Rippling Roll you roll dice = to ripples + damage vs target's Chi Threshold
>Player B can elect to spend 1 chi per 'Chi Aura' dice that get subtracted directly from damage
>Each Player can only buy as much Chi Aura as their rank allows (6-Rank), so if they're rank 4 they can only buy 2d10
>Toughness is added only to Chi Aura

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
But if you had great toughness & chi regen then you'd be really really hard to hurt
>>
>>49888525
actually what you described was what we did, I misremembered in my initial post
>>
>>49888551
It could've been cool but I find that pvp/tournament arcs are usually uninspired and just lead to all sorts of drab complications instead of awesome, tense finalist vs finalist scenarios.
>>
>>49889202
did you mean to reply to me?
>>
>>49889219
Yeah, I guess my point is kind of moot when the player & npc share the same character building system
>>
This fucking thread better not die before I get home and sperg about the system.

Statting characters up is fun as fuck. I've statted up like 20 touhous in it.

How many people here have utilized The Half Burnt Manual's material in their games? I think it has some super cool stuff aside from Artisans. I wish Dugo Four Ultimates was a little clearer about its Laughs At and Fears bonuses, though.

>You made an effort at defending? Laughable!
>My style fears attacks because my defense is that of a common soldier

I have no idea if I'm interpreting this right or not either.
>>
>>49890348
Dugo Four Ultimates seems to have been hastily written.

I think it boils down to:

Laughs At:
>Trying to make a defense
>Having a Defense
>Complex defenses/attacks

Fears:
>Having to make a defense against an attack
>People who are light & fast
>Simplicity

Note that you don't Fear being attacked, you only fear having to make a defense against an attack.
Which I don't know how you would write a narrative for your defense roll without triggering your fear.
Unless it was a very easy thing to block, or you had something on hand to make a casual defense.

i.e. someone throws a bunch of knives at you, but you made a shaping/wave during initiative to have a table roll in front of you and absorb the knives while you just stand there with your hands in your pockets
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.