[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best 40k novel?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: 1475886960631.jpg (175KB, 900x1295px) Image search: [Google]
1475886960631.jpg
175KB, 900x1295px
What do you guys think is hands down the best 40k novel? I don't have a lot of time to read, so I don't want to read something lame. I'm not saying "deep", but something above the standard light novels for teens.
>>
First for Ciaphas Cain
>>
>>49883464
Not gonna lie, Space Wolf Omnibus is fun as hell.
>>
>>49883464
I dunno. My favorite that I've read is Angel Exterminatus.

Fulgrim gets beaten up. Characterizes Pert REALLY good. Salamanders Apothecary, iirc. Raven Guard OC Donutsteel. Angry Iron Hands.

Pretty nice, actually.
>>
Double Eagle.

Its a one off from Dan, and it was a book I actually read in one sitting.
>>
>>49883464

Lord of the Night, Fire Warrior, Titanicus or Eisenhorn.
>>
File: Space_Marine.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Space_Marine.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Space Marine.
>>
>>49883464
I personally love the Night Lords Trilogy by ADB

Unrelated, but captcha is trying to sell me a car.
>>
>>49883464
Dead Men Walking

The ending is crushing, in a good way.
>>
Lord of the Night any anything by Andy Hoare are good.

Do we have a directory somewhere with BL books uploaded? The one I have its all in Russian.
>>
Necropolis by Dan Abnett. The best Gaunt's Ghosts novel, which is the best 40K series
>>
File: Dead-Men-Walking.jpg (164KB, 514x822px) Image search: [Google]
Dead-Men-Walking.jpg
164KB, 514x822px
>>49883464
What >>49884344 said
>>
>>49883464
Seconding Dead Men Walking, but Fifteen Hours and Gunheads are also very solid.

If you don't want Guard but still want quality, the Path of the Eldar series is quite good. The author actually knows how to show you something that's alien in its capacity for overwhelming emotion and necessary psychological barriers.
>>
>>49883464

30k - The Betrayer

40k - The Night Lords trilogy
>>
>>49884267
Is it just me or is this really gay?
>>
>The first heretic
>Betrayer
>Eisenhorn
>Personal enjoyment: Blood gorgons

but the ultimate "best"40k book I'd say is the safe bet of Eisenhorn.
>>
>>49884676
>not liking gay space marines like some kind of queer
>>
>>49883464
>Ciaphas Cain books
>Gaunt's Ghosts books
>Last Chancers books
>Night Lords Trilogy
>Horus Heresy books (apart from a few shitty ones like Descent of Angels)
>Space Wolf omnibus
>Eisenhorn
>Raveno
>Titanicus
>Dead Men Walking
>Fifteen Hours

This is a decent start.

Pick and choose, OP. Most of these are quality writing.
>>
>>49884489
Is this the one where the final scene is a bunch of the dudes in the afterlife, and they all march together to go fight for the emperor at the end of the world?
>>
Cadian Blood
>>
>>49884460

Seconded.
>>
>>49884631
>>49884708
>>49884939
Is there a ranking list for the HH books?
>>
File: LoD_Legionnaires_Battle.png (2MB, 746x996px) Image search: [Google]
LoD_Legionnaires_Battle.png
2MB, 746x996px
>>49883464
Legion of the Damned is hands down the best 40k book ever written

fight me in real life
>>
>>49885058

Maybe there is, but there's so many of them and so many authors that wouldn't base my opinion on it. Betrayer and First Heretic are considered the best by many tho. And the first trilogy.
>>
>>49884708

Blood Gorgons is an underrated as fuck book and chapter.
>>
Read the original 40k novel inquisition wars, Its the best I've read, weird as hell though. you can't go wrong with Ciaphus Cain, and Eisenhorn. The Gaunts Ghosts series is another staple but I don't personally like it. Last Chancers is over the top and stupid but I like it. The whole Blood Gorgons trilogy is good. Horus Heresy is a mixed bag. the Honzou series is decent as well
>>
File: 1555320-vengeful_black_templars.jpg (867KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1555320-vengeful_black_templars.jpg
867KB, 2560x1600px
>>49885288
There's a legion of the damned book? Fuck me I've got to read it. They're my second favorite chapter after the Black Templars
>>
Draco trilogy. The rest is rubbish.
>>
>>49885896
Be warned, it's not actually about the Legion of the Damned. As is proper they remain a mysterious force that shows up later. Most of the book is about the Excoriators, basically the most badass Imperial Fists ever. They're more 'ard than the Templars.
>>
File: Last-Chancers[1].jpg (80KB, 383x485px) Image search: [Google]
Last-Chancers[1].jpg
80KB, 383x485px
>>49883464
Last Chancers
It got everything I like in a 40k novel:
Imperial Guard without plot armor, cool and varied action scenes, great characters and relationships (the love/hate between Kage and Schaeffer is extremely well done), brothers in arms connections between cutthroats that despise each others (at best), nice worldbuilding (tau and high-class separatists on armageddon, for the most part), it doesn't takes itself too seriously, and grimdarkness that makes you shed a single manly tear.
And it's well-written, which is always a big plus since I'm not a native english speaker and purple prose is very difficult to me.
>>
>>49883464
My absolute favorite is Eisenhorn Omnibus. I love how it's basically a detective story written in first person, with great plot twists and character development. You can feel Eisenhorns slow descent.
>>
I always loved the primitive-lore books when things were not so set in stone and read a little trippy, like inquisition wars, eye of terror, into the storm... They are not worth a dime as books but they have that surreal aura of proto 40k.
>>
File: 1428909861920.jpg (331KB, 851x1220px) Image search: [Google]
1428909861920.jpg
331KB, 851x1220px
the people who aren't saying Eisenhorn clearly have never read Eisenhorn.

second best would be an interesting conversation, but the best is clearly Eisenhorn.

>>49885865
>Read the original 40k novel inquisition wars, Its the best I've read, weird as hell though
I fucking love you. I thought I was the only one who remembered those.
>>
>>49884981

No, that's 'Imperial Glory'.
>>
Probably not my favorite novel,but I'd easily put Eisenhorn head and shoulders above just about everything else in the BL.

Pretty much everything by Abnett is at worst solid,with the vast majority of it being good to great.

The ciaphas Cain series is great, and a really nice departure from the usual tone of 40k books,even if most of the novel's are incredibly similarly structured.

Personal favorite though is either Necropolis or Traitor General. Again,abnett pretty much knocking it out of the park once again.
>>
>>49883464
Storm of Iron. The one time they did Iron warriors proper.
>>
>>49886557
Eisenhorn was really good but I think I actually liked Ravenor for the cyberpunk noir themes a bit better.

Burning of Prospero (I know, the set is coming soon, hype hype etc, whatever) had some really great insights on the Wolves and their culture.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.