[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Burning Wheel!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2697.jpg (185KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2697.jpg
185KB, 500x750px
I am falling in love with this game. Once I finally wrapped my head around some of its odder concepts, I am finding this to be the most interesting system ever. Any players of it here? Thoughts?
>>
>>49883238

Ran it a little for the SO. If you like a crunchy rules-heavy game, hyper-focused on a very Tolkiern world, with a few narrative mechanics tacked on it's alright. I don't think I'd run it without the Codex. Also look for Burning THAC0 on the Burning Wheel site.
>>
I've actually been designing a mythic-historical setting in Brittany based during the War of Breton Succession and it's working for it just great. You can keep the fantastical elements pretty small if you want.

I agree it's pretty crunchy in some areas. Combat is probably the most complicated portion, fortunately the rules are gradual so you don't always need to use the more complicated combat rules.
>>
>>49883238
I ran it for a short time a while back, it probably handles social intrigue stuff better than any other system I've played. I'm also a big fan of the racial emotional attributes.
>>
>>49883238
I own this, but I've never played or run it. Any tips for a DM starting out?
>>
>>49885398
It requires more from the players, needing them to drive their goals actively forwards (instead of waiting for the GM to serve the plot to them in appropriately sized chunks).

Build the adventures more as opposition and allies to the players than a separate storyline you hope to hook the players into following. Check their Beliefs for story ideas, engage those directly instead of hoping to work them into the narrative you have in mind.

Don't use Fight! mechanics for random encounters, they're more suitable for dramatic duels. Fighting in general is a pretty big deal in the system, so treat it accordingly - healing takes weeks or months, don't be afraid to simulate those with skill checks and simple die rolls as the characters train and build up their base of power.

Most importantly have fun and go with your gut feeling when the mechanics feel off. Remember to say "yes, but" to player ideas - if they want something, roll for it and if they fail (probably will in the beginning) attach complications or twist the results, but be frank of the possible results beforehand and negotiate the risk/reward together with the player. After rolling no takebacks, if it succeeds the player gets exactly what they wanted!
>>
>>49885540
Thanks. I was checking out another thread, but I appreciate the reply.
>>
>>49885629
Don't be afraid of letting players introduce facts about the setting.

In another game a conversation might go like this:
Player: " I roll gather information, what do I learn?"
GM: "A local priest is corrupt, you could blackmail him for info."

Meanwhile in BW:
Player: "I think the local priest could be corrupt, so I can extort him for information. I want to roll my Circles."
GM: "Sure, but if you fail he has had time to hide the evidence and learns that it's you who's been snooping up on him."

In either case an adversarial NPC is introduced to the play, but in the latter it came from the player's head. This might seem backwards if you think of the story being one that is made by the GM and being revealed piece by piece to the players, but BW is more like a The Players Show that they fill with cast members. BW play is about the characters making their place in the world (see: Beliefs) and the GM is the opposition and hardships. The game benefits from an adversarial BUT fair GM.
>>
>>49885718
>Players taking the initiative
That's basically pipe dream material for me, senpai.
Sounds like if I could get some players to bite it would be brilliant, though.
>>
>>49885745
It takes some time getting used to it, sure. Many players feel that trying to solo complicates things for the GM, or is rude because it ruins the adventure he has prepared for them, so it's understandable. Try to lead by example and suggest how they could handle the situation by coming up with thing by themselves?
>>
Is there anywhere to read the rules online? It seems a pdf was never made for the rules to prevent pirating, which is making it very difficult to pirate.

But in all seriousness, Im interested in learning more about the system but im not going to order the book without reading more about it first.
>>
>>49888733
>>
>>49888733
Here's a Mega with all of the rules, including the magic burner and all of the other ancillary books: https://mega.nz/#F!1kZBEIAa
(My mega's acting weird, just hit decrypt any you should be ok)
>>
>>49888899
>>49888927
Thank you greatly, already liking what im reading. Imteresting take
>>
>>49889376
the creator basically made it to be a system in which none of the things which annoyed him when they happened in rpgs would be an issue, it's probably not the best way to design games but it's an option
>>
File: Kusanagi.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Kusanagi.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49889432

Probably not, but the rules have a certain elegance about them and their are some ideas in Burning Wheel that after reading I would love to have included in most games I play. Beliefs, Instincts and Let it Ride are my three favorite instances of thing I think would benefit most games.
>>
>>49888899
>Initially my mission was only to build the proverbial “better system,” but my true motive emerged as the system took root. I wanted to construct a game that could create better stories—something closer to the thrilling narratives that we all grew up on and that still grip our imaginations. So accordingly, I designed a game to fully encompass and exemplify story-arcs, whether they be heroic epics or down-and-dirty tales. And I incorporated details to foster character development and dramatic battles—elements that I, as a die-hard gamer, crave. With this game, we can get in on the action of everything we have watched, read and dreamed about—and finally get to the heart of what we love so much.
inb4 narrativist butthurt
>>
>>49890288
>And I incorporated details to foster character development and dramatic battles

Welp, the battles using Fight! I have been part of were certainly dramatic, though it is not my favorite fighting system in a game. It sure does foster character development well though so I think he has accomplished his goal.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.