[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Death World Logistics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: fenrisian_kraken.png (574KB, 595x369px) Image search: [Google]
fenrisian_kraken.png
574KB, 595x369px
Some death worlds in 40k I'd find believable. Catachan, for instance, has everything you need to survive - it just also happens to be chock full of deadly flora and fauna.

But some death worlds in 40k I take issue with from a logistical standpoint. For instance: Fenris. Fenris, when depicted, is almost always described as basically Hoth with wolves and krakens. But this couldn't be the case, just for simple logistics. Where do the Fenrisians get food? Where do the fucking wolves get food? Where do they get all the wood to build their houses and fancy great hall doors/tables? You could argue they get it shipped in from off-world, but Fenris was colonized before the Imperium came along, and many death worlds are actually left in their basic state to keep them breeding ground for hardy soldiers.

Are there any descriptions of - say - equatorial Fenris? Where maybe it's more similar to actual Scandinavia, rather than GW icegrimcolddark Scandinavia? With actual plants and animals?

For that matter, what about planets like Nocturne? What's there BESIDES lava and giant lizards? Something tells me this may end up being one of those situations where /tg/ has to fill in the gaps with sensibility because the actual canon only focuses on GRIMDARK.
>>
>>49881577
But anon, there are no wolves on Fenris
>>
>>49881577
>What's there BESIDES lava and giant lizards?

Lots of stuff, it looks like.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Nocturne#Geography
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Nocturne#Fauna
>>
>>49881577
If you read the book 'death world' by Harry Harrison which catachan is based off he go on to explain how such a world can be.

Basically the *because* the world is so fertile which lots of food around, the wild life has no incentives to play nice for mutual benefit, the only limited to growth is space and the only threat is each other.

So it's an arms race where every species is in it for themselves. There are no nicthes to fill. Everything is in competition with everything else.

Doesn't answers your question but food for thought.
>>
>>49884886
Literally how RL earth jungles work
>>
>>49881590
There are wolves.
Or is that a joke I do not understand?
>>
>>49881577
What if they eat ice? Ice is good for you.
>>
>>49887200
it's from the WolfMaster's mouth

they're not wolves but humans who put wolf dna into them to help survive, so really Space Wolves ride their distant cousins into battle
>>
>>49887215
it could be ice with plankton in it.
I remember seeing some red ice which had plankton or coral in it
>>49881577
there's one place where they tan really eaisly, so it won't be as cold.
IRL Scandinavia was petty barren until relatively recently, with most of it's iron and wood coming from finland.
Wolves are humans with added wolf dna.
Maybe they raid eachother to get wood
>>
Fenris would have to have some forests and such growing. Apparently new islands form every year as others are swallowed whole by the oceans. They can definitely live off the ocean and thats basically what they did in scandinavia
>>
>>49881577
>For that matter, what about planets like Nocturne? What's there BESIDES lava and giant lizards? Something tells me this may end up being one of those situations where /tg/ has to fill in the gaps with sensibility because the actual canon only focuses on GRIMDARK.

Salamander fanboy here so I'll share some of my thoughts. Firstly the soil around volcanos is traditionally very rich and easy to cultivate. For this reason we can assume that the reason we don't hear much about farming on Nocture (in addition to just not hearing much about the planet at all) is that its easy and boring. Such relatively easy agriculture would give plenty of opportunity for the populace to specialize as master craftsmen of a variety of sorts which syncs with what little we do know.

The trouble is that those oh, so fertile volcanic fields have a bad habit of exploding. And then there are the fire lizards who think humans (and probably their crops / livestock) are tasty. This encourages a warrior caste to protect the people.

Its also known that prior to Vulkan's arrival Noctorn was a favorite place for Dark Eldar to raid - carrying off slaves and material which imply they were realatively prospersous despite all these setbacks.

So while Nocturne wasn't all that fun a place to live - noting lasting can really be built - and a near-invincible lizard might attack you at any moment things like getting food on the table weren't really huge challenges.
>>
>>49881577
>Where do the Fenrisians get food?
Fenris as a planet has a highly elliptical orbit, thus its winter is more harsh then earths. It does have a summer. There is a short farming season.

>Nocturne?What's there BESIDES lava and giant lizards?

It has plains, jungles, ice caps in the far north ( no one lives there), oceans, etc. Looks like you have not read up on the world.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Nocturne
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.