[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help getting into TG?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 2473644-925342-mamemania_dd2.jpg (46KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
2473644-925342-mamemania_dd2.jpg
46KB, 400x320px
'Lo there, here visiting from faraway lands after years of lurkmoar. Ever since I was brought into a father/sons oneshot D&D campaign as a wee bab, I've been really interested in TGs but sadly, have not had much opportunity to get my start aside from some online games that died stillborn and some ill-advised and overambitious projects I threw together with my limited knowledge of DMing.

Was hoping that some of the elder neckbeards on here might be willing to give some sage wisdom on breaking into the traditional gaming without much prior experience.

I've amassed a decent collection of gamebooks inherited from dear old dad or bought on a whim on the cheap. List below

>D&D 3.5 + 4e core set (Monster manual, Player & DM handbook)
>Stars Without Number core PDF
>Most oWoD & CoD gamelines
> Basically anything printed for GURPS (learned the hard way it wasn't a beginner's game)
>>
>>49880174
Don't get into this hobby, it's filled with disgusting people who will make you question why you even get up in the morning.
t. Disillusioned player
>>
>>49880174
The best way to learn is to do it.

Find a group recruiting, or make a group with your friends. I'd personally recommend against 3.5 (or its clone, Pathfinder) as your first game, despite its popularity, but if you find a good group you feel comfortable with, give it a go whatever they are playing.
>>
The best advice I can give is this.

Don't be afraid to bend the rules some.
>>
>>49880174
>Tower of Doom
I've never played it but it looks really neat. It's on Steam so I guess I could buy it if I really wanted to.
>>
>>49880358
Get the MAME version instead. The steam version is fucking terrible... although setting up the multiplayer is easy at least.
>>
>>49880174
Find a solid group of friends to play with and stay true to them and nurture that friend group, randoms are cancer and will ruin any love you have for the hobby
>>
File: 1474385571422.gif (2MB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1474385571422.gif
2MB, 500x370px
>>49880174
Well if you have literally any experience DMing, even if you never got to run due to some disaster you caused, you are leagues ages of the people who blow in here with the the trade winds and say they have no books and no experience playing.

Avoid Roll20. Find people in real life that have some interest in TTRPgs if you possibly can, even if it's just a girlfriend/boyfriend/Chechen sex slave and nobody else. You'll probably have to run the game. People who look at RP before ever playing and say "I want to GM!" are very rare, so there are way more players without GMs than GMs without players.

If you want to trick normalfags into playing TTRPGs, you could try to get them on with boardgames. I can't help you much in this department, but there are boardgames with story and some roleplay elements. Alternatively, use your oWoD and CoD books to attract the rare female roleplayers. That has worked for me a few times. Changeling the Lost has actually landed 2 of the 3 female players I've ever had for more than 2 sessions. The third girl was Masquerade.

Basically, be willing to put in work if you want to start playing traditional games straight away instead of working into it like unlucky people have to. Or do like me and be born lucky enough to find a group who all started playing at the same time except the DM who had played three times when he was younger. Everyone being the same or similar experience with RP is perfect. It really cuts down on the awkward factor unless you're all awkward faggots outside of the game.

Also be willing to suffer and don't get discouraged. It took 3 years for my group to shed the problem players, but we've flourished for 9 years now.
>>
>>49880174

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH4z1vmubpY

>M-muh spoony

Whatever, it's all good advice.

TLDR: Find out what local people are playing (It will likely be some version of D&D), get that, learn the rules, join in.
>>
>>49880227
Oh I've seen worse.
>>49880265

Alright, ty. What would you recommend then?
Currently lurking a friend's VtM game which looks like it maaaybe might not die once school decides to stop being a thing for a few seconds.
Might be a chance to get in some experience.

>>49880358
Yeah, fun little beat 'em up. Lots of tech. One of my favourite speed runs of all time too.

>>49880420
Gurps of all things, yeah. Basically, I was brainstorming a homebrew setting (Wild West themed post-apocalypse) for writing purposes and he threw a gurps book and me and told me to run with it. Nice guy, but he tends to expect a lot from others.

Anyway, with much patience and a lot of prodding I ended up running a game that died after the first barfight encounter, which lasted approximately one week due to my sheer incompetence in speeding up GURPS combat.
>>
>>49880494
If you ran a game you at least know what not to do. You've checked off a box on your neckbeard membership card. You're now a little bit more prepared for what might happen and what to avoid or encourage. You're well on your way to getting into to TTRPGs now, as many people blanch at the words "first time GM" but are more accepting of "inexperienced GM". Now come up with some you would be happy running, even if that's some shitty Pathfinder adventure path, and start putting out the call. It is definitely best to play with people you know though.

I'd strongly recommend joining that VtM game as soon as you can. Hell, if it falls apart you could poach some of the players.
>>
>>49880494
>Alright, ty. What would you recommend then?

Whatever people are playing. You'll most likely find a 5e game easy, if you are looking for a new group, and it's not a bad pickup game. VtM is okay. It's not my type of game and I haven't played it that much, so I can't make better judgement... although, isn't that oWoD? Why stick with it, I wonder. Anyway, it depends a lot on the GM being good, more than more prepackaged games like D&D, in my experience.

I really, really like 4e, but it's not very popular, and has a pretty bad reputation. If you can find a good group for it though, it's great fun... but you'll not make much use of your core books, they had been errata'd too much. Look/ask around for /4eg/ you'll find more help in those threads for running/playing it if you are interested.

Out of non-D&D games I had good experiences with Savage Worlds, would tell a beginner to avoid anything Shadowrun, and that's about it. Don't be afraid to try some more niche games, if you feel like taking some risks. Especially narrative games, they actually gelled really well with me although I consider myself way more of a gamist person.
>>
>>49880586
One of the biggest problems I found was that PCs kept doing things I wasn't prepared for (which was fine, creative players are gud) and I had to constantly keep going back to the rules and wasting time figuring out what the hell to roll.

Would it be a better idea to try a premade seed first? Just so I have all that stuff in front of me?
>>
>>49880174

a good way to start is to sit down and figure out what setting you like, the genre and themes you prefer, and thenfor interesting systems for roleplaying in it

example: Sci-Fi + Dystopian = Dark Heresy

the most important thing is your social skills honestly. If you're not that good at memorizing rules, bad at designing character builds or whatever, but always bring your A-game in portraying those characters, you will get invited back to any group.

Eventually enough readthroughs of the rules and enough game experience and you'll absorb even the densest systems, but at first just focus mechanically on keeping the game flow going.
>>
>>49880822
Hum..

I suppose I like the look of CoC. Already have a working knowledge of the VtM setting.
Warhammer's fun, but never quite got into it enough.

Heh, suppose that acting course was a good choice then.

So when it comes to rules vs flow, how do you keep the balance between winging it and getting a roll over with but keeping it reasonable? Learned intuition?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.