[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Human Traits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

File: 1272826805481.jpg (45KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
1272826805481.jpg
45KB, 375x500px
So what should the special traits that humans get be? Lets say that every race gets two, both generally positive, and that anything like ability score modifiers are something separate.

So, for Humans, I figured; when compared to Dwarves and Elves and the like, Humans are very brash and impulsive, they act as they think, if they think about what they're doing at all and aren't just going off of instinct.
To this end I've given Humans

Impulsive - +2 Initiative.

Now, they need one other special trait.
What could it be? More importantly, what does it do mechanically?

Notes of importance:
> The atmosphere of the game is meant to be cautious optimism; Noble-Dim if you will. Nothing edgy will be considered.
> The bonuses are to be broadly applicable; things that would be useful to any class of character. Nothing that explicitly makes them better at any one specific task, or at the very least it's an act that would be useful to a range of archetypes. No re-rolling failed casting checks, or +2 to picking locks, or anything like that.
>>
>>49877970
You know, I don't even like HFY, but I thought at some point while totally not thinking about creating my own system that they could have trait that gives them the ability, if they chose to, to put more dice/more points into a roll of their choice per day. Because of their extra ambition or will power or something like this. That still makes flexible, it could be used for anything.
>>
>>49878105
I'm unsure if it would fit my purposes tonally, but it's a decent idea.
>>
>>49878190
Why is that? I think it suits both your points of importance.
>>
>>49877970
Compared to most fantasy races, humans are far more open to new ideas and cultures, but also don't have much in terms of "prefered" gear/enviroments. Some sort of bonus when dealing with unfamiliar/unususual situations/items/people/enviroments and/or a bonus to learning (the basics) of new abilites.
>>
>>49877970
HUMANITY FUCK YEAH

Fuck you, you don't get to make mankind into some kind of "balance" shit. WE BREATHE ROCKET FUEL AND SHIT FERTILIZER. WE ARE LIFE AND RAGE AND ACTION INCARNATE. EVERY TRAIT. EVERY BONUS. WE WILL OVERCOME. HUMANITY WILL NEVER FADE you filthy fucking xenos heretic
>>
File: 1295288531429.jpg (400KB, 1428x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1295288531429.jpg
400KB, 1428x2000px
>>49878238
Humans being able to will success may be a little too HFY to match up with the rest of the race/class functions aesthetically. It's a very cool idea, maybe even making it something as simple as anyone playing a human can chose to roll with an advantage at any time, but they have to declare that they're using it before they roll, and they can only do it again after 24hrs pass, or a long rest, or whatever. But all the same, the other races have fairly typical bonuses, admittedly, but they're mostly passive things, and/or things that just make them better at something anyone can do, but under specific circumstances.

>>49878298
I had a similar train of thought actually, and it's the highest standing option among my own concepts. The idea being that Humans get to take proficiency in any one skill at level 1, and then every 3rd or 4th level or so they would get to gain one additional free skill proficiency, so by level 12 (which is like the low-end of the high-end for my scaling rates) they'd have learned 3 or 4 more skills, putting them anywhere from 1~4 more skills ahead of other characters, and giving them a broader range of applicable capacities without actually giving them any special abilities.
i.e.
HUMAN
etc
etc

Special Traits:
Impulsive - +2 Initiative
Adaptable - Gain proficiency in any 1 skill at level 1, and another on every fourth level (4, 8, 12, etc).

Unless someone makes a mind-blowing suggestion in this thread that's probably what I'll go with.
>>
>>49877970
Humans are good with their hands. They have a drive to tinker and work with anything mechanical, from bows, to locks, to more complex devices. They have a bonus to checks involving working with such objects, including repairing, sabotaging, and modifying them.
>>
what system
>>
File: humanwizard.jpg (127KB, 497x750px) Image search: [Google]
humanwizard.jpg
127KB, 497x750px
>>49877970

Perhaps something like Quick Learner, and they get a +2 bonus and/or proficiency for a single skill of their choice?

It'd represent part of how humans can churn out powerful Wizards just like Elves, but in 1/10th the time span.
>>
>>49878511
This seems pretty good.
The negative trait for humanity is very definitely
>Easier to sway to evil
because it's a theme that's been drummed on in fantasy ever since LOTR became popular, whatever you think of Tolkien.
>>
File: 1457780708760.jpg (33KB, 345x269px) Image search: [Google]
1457780708760.jpg
33KB, 345x269px
>>49878338
>AND SHIT FERTILIZER
>>
>>49877970
Neat concept. I do like traits that reflect more the ephemeral nature of humans as opposed to them simply being "the well-rounded ones"

>>49878521
Nah. If the system in question has races that have significantly longer lifespans to hone their craft, or have more acute senses of perception, it seems unlikely humans would be able to compete in that field.
>>
>>49877970
I like how Mass Effect did it. Humans are a short-lived race, but it makes them more energic, more engaged in their own goals. Which conducts them to be seen as power-hungry by other races.
Also, humans are fucking hard to kill by any other mean than a weapon. These fuckers are so fucking resilient.
>>
>>49878511
>The idea being that Humans get to take proficiency in any one skill at level 1, and then every 3rd or 4th level or so they would get to gain one additional free skill proficiency, so by level 12 (which is like the low-end of the high-end for my scaling rates) they'd have learned 3 or 4 more skills, putting them anywhere from 1~4 more skills ahead of other characters, and giving them a broader range of applicable capacities without actually giving them any special abilities.
Won't this be DnD humans all over again, where they end up being the best at everything by gaining extra feats?
>>
>>49878532
Closest to 5E D&D, house-ruled to the point of being more of a home-bash, but i'm not going to pretend it's something it isn't.

>>49878545
I had the same thought not long ago.
>>49878511

>>49878583
Indeed. Most races have a set of +2s and -2s for ability score modifiers, and the player picks one from each set.
i.e.
Dwarves: +2 CON/WIS, -2 DEX/CHA

likewise, humans actually have three options:
Humans: +2 STR/INT/CHA, -2 DEX/WIS

>>49878625
I don't think it would be that bad. From their classes and origins, each character will have 4~6 proficient skills, and humans would just end up with 2~3 more skills that they are proficient in on top of their class + origin. Non-humans with the appropriate class and/or origin options would be equal or superior to the humans, humans would just have a wider pool of general capability.
>>
>>49878625
It sounds like they're not actually gaining anything though, they just have an expanded pool to choose from when applying the resources they already have.
>>
>>49877970
haven't we already established that Humans are the tiny, cute, and cuddley race that every other races likes and that they're basically the pop idols of the universe?

Or is that just for sci fi stuff? I need to try to find the screenshot of that thread.
>>
File: (tg) Elf and human wizards.png (174KB, 975x642px) Image search: [Google]
(tg) Elf and human wizards.png
174KB, 975x642px
>>49878545
Looks like a good idea.
>>
>>49878338
In my campaign humans are the only race, but their only purpose in existence is to become corrupted and consumed after death. This must be done to stave off the heat death of the universe. You are nothing but food.
>>
File: abskin2.gif (29KB, 470x350px) Image search: [Google]
abskin2.gif
29KB, 470x350px
>>49877970

Humans in real life are at the top when it comes to stamina and heat management. The oldest form of hunting consist in simply chasing the prey until it gets exhausted or overheats.
>>
>>49878959
okay, QB
>>
File: dont_laugh.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
dont_laugh.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>49878935
>>
>>49878991
Doesn't mean that some fantasy race can't be better at this.
>>
>>49878991

Large cats are better at the whole hunting thing.
>>
>>49879062

Not at the endurance game. We are the top 5 of the animal kingdom when it comes to marathons. Large cats spend their energy too quickly for short bursts.
>>
>>49878935
I love that concept for human mages vs elves, and actually included it in a character's backstory.

527 potential wizards joined the ten year program which produced him. His graduating class was only 29 wizards, but they made progress, damn it.

He also went from Lawful Good to True Neutral during this time.
>>
>>49879062
In short bursts.
>>49878991
Not really. If you want a real endurance hunter then look at spotted hyenas and african painted dogs. Both of those fuckers can chase prey for miles if they want to, they just know its easier to take turns doing it. Quite frankly, they shit on human endurance by virtue of actually running after their meals rather than trying to Jason vorhees it to death. He'll, short faced bears were even worse when they were around. Anything that can casually chase down a horse is not to be fucked with.
>>
>>49877970
Humans are less than other races, conceptually speaking.

Even if one can't put it into words, a dwarf knows how he should be. An elf does too. All races have this basic notion which forms a basis for their members' development and perception. However, at the same time they have some dificulty breaking of the mentality and traditions this racial mold enforces.

Humans don't have that. They are the bizarre race which keeps wondering "wtf is an human anyway?". This existential doubt makes them more prone to develop new ideas, cultures and learn from others. That is why humans have so many cultures compared to other races, a conceptual hollowness that is filled according to material and temporal factors.

Elves and dwarfs sages and philosophers have spent more time and ink into trying to define if this "human condition" is an advantage or disavantage than they have spent on themselves.
>>
>>49878959
Then listen up you goddamned fucking weeaboo. Your elf shits and your demon fags will fucking worship the LITERAL LIFEBLOOD OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE
>>
>>49879207
Couldn't you at least pretend to bait the hook for us anon? Frankly I'm a little insulted.
>>
>>49878298
>Compared to most fantasy races, humans are far more open to new ideas and cultures
A lot of systems do that, and I understand why they do that, but I don't like it. All other races get some inate racial bonus, while humans are just blank slates who get a cultural "bonus".

>>49878991
I like the idea of humans getting a minor CON bonus though. Though we'd be enroaching on dwarf territory. Being though is kind of their thing.
>>
>>49879324
>Being though is kind of their thing
Well, you could fuck this, give them extra CON, but also something like STR, or another bonus for smithing/creating things/extra thoughness boni like saving throws, while dropping some DEX/WIS/CHA.
>>
File: 1402242907065.png (169KB, 500x485px) Image search: [Google]
1402242907065.png
169KB, 500x485px
>>49879375
>Well, you could fuck this
Humanity 101.
>>
>>49878511
Being more skillful than races that live at least twice their lifespan never made sense
>>
>>49879177
for endurance canines beat us out, ridiculously so at times
>>
>>49879448
Please read my post again.
>>
>>49879193
This is the best so far
>>
>>49878991
Humans are good at this because they are smarter and use tools. Endurance hunters in Africa bring along waterskins, pace themselves, and stay hydrated. They don't rely on some magical wellspring of endurance.
>>
>>49879737
>They don't rely on some magical wellspring of endurance
Yeah, let's compare real life humans where those things don't exist, to fantasy humans which live in places where those things might exist.
>>
File: 1265768368541.jpg (34KB, 441x1082px) Image search: [Google]
1265768368541.jpg
34KB, 441x1082px
>>49879500
>>
>>49878603
>Also, humans are fucking hard to kill by any other mean than a weapon. These fuckers are so fucking resilient.

the fuck? humans are fragile as shit and can be killed easily
>>
>>49878603
>Also, humans are fucking hard to kill by any other mean than a weapon.

You mean that if they fall off a 10-15 ft building, they'll just walk away with no injuries? That if they're set on fire, they'll be fine in an hour? That if they're thrown in a pool head first, with a rock tied around their leg, they'll survive? That if they get space-cancer and receive no medical treatment, they'll survive.

FoH.
>>
>>49878594
>>49878959

>Falling for the bait

Come on guys, even the hfy spergs aren't retarded enough to post that, it's clearly b8.
>>
>>49877970
If your artist is Mark Smylie? Sameface. Sameface everywhere.
>>
>>49879475
The idea is that they pick up new skills more quickly after they start adventuring. I gave Elves and Dwarves both have Wisdom as an option for their Ability on purpose, because if they picked it atop a moderate or high base score they'd defunct have higher bonuses on WIS-based skills & such. To that same end, because they have such relatively short lives and likely haven't bee alive as long as the other party members, WIS is one of the abilities humans have as an option for their penalty.
>>
>>49879515
except it's useless speculation
>>
File: 1474306584128.png (477KB, 631x638px) Image search: [Google]
1474306584128.png
477KB, 631x638px
>>49878338
>AND SHIT FERTILIZER
>>
>>49878298
I always thought this was incredibly lazy and boring, but I guess that's due to most games using "human" as the base and every other species as a template to be compared to it.
>>
>>49877970
Generally speaking, humans are the shortest lived of the civilized races, which definitely lends itself more to adventure, risk, and instinct.

Their second trait could play into that; humans are a lot more risky and take more chances (without being too fragile like goblins and the like), which means they're more often liable to experience good (and bad) events of fate. Serendipity is a common word amongst humans, and so is the opposite.
They're not any more (un)lucky than elves or dwarves, but they do end up tempting fate a lot more.
>>
>>49879497
Not really, but they're definitely up there with us (why do you think they were so succesfully domesticated?) Only camels really shit on humans when it comes to endurance.
>>
>>49877970
Physical endurance, and adaptability in both environment and ideas/technology.
We're not the strongest or fastest but we can keep on chugging, with breaks, and outlast most creatures in longterm chase and exertion and we're incredibly adept at stealing ideas and tools from wherever we can find them and incorporating them into our own society.
>>
>>49877970
If we're doing two it should be sort of an offense/defense or active/passive thing.

>Offense
Initiative is pretty meh for the offense. The human-only action points idea appeals to me.

>Defense
For a defensive thing I'd give kind of a resistance to fear or compulsions.

Then you could sort of mirror this formula with other races. Elves could have arrow-useful shit (pick a guy to focus on; you can AoO him with bows) and be really perceptive (seeing through illusions and stuff). Dwarves might be able to fuck with the terrain in surprisingly little time (but probably not during combat) and be harder to hurt physically or with poison. That sort of thing.
>>
>>49880257
How so?
>>
>>49882343
I think anon meant that it's hard to translate this in a game system.
>>
File: 1439116271380.jpg (178KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1439116271380.jpg
178KB, 1280x1920px
>>49877970

>This thread again

Okay OP, listen. If you add humans to your setting, they are by default always your "reference society". That means that they are the measuring stick from which every other society is compared.

Why is this? It's because your players are humans and familiar with human culture and history, so humans are the most species to them.

This is why humans are always your "average" species with no distinguishing traits. It's not that humans just aren't accomplishing anything, but it is because as the reference society, their "stats" are the "norm", and everything else is compared to this "norm" and given different values.

As such, I'd say you usually shouldn't give humans any special bonuses at all. But if you for some reason have to give everyone a bonus because your bonuses don't outweight your negatives (ie you got a bonus surplus on every species), the two best solutions in my opinion is either:
>Figure out the thing every other species lack. This is the humans' bonus.
>Give humans a flexible bonus (for instance a bonus attribute or feat) that the player can spend freely on whatever they want. If your humans are the most numerous species, an explanation for this flexible bonus is that the humans are so many that you get very diverse human societies that can emphasis different things.

And please don't give me that wank about humans having more "willpower" or "fate" or whatever than anyone else. It's a "you are the chosen one" wank that isn't very fair to the rest of the setting.
>>
>>49877970
To justify human dominant populations Humans get the following:

+2 to Con
+1 to a stat of choice

Proficiency with one tool or instrument.

And pick between:

Proficiency with one martial weapon of their choice.

One Wizard, Druid or Sorcerer cantrip depending on which casting stat they meet the requirements for.

There it's balanced.
>>
>>49878594
I didn't fall for no bait

I just had a chuckle because it portrays HFY faggots so nicely. It's obviously a satirical shitpost
>>
>>49879833
If you don't want to use real life reasoning, you shouldn't bring up a real life advantage
>>
Humans should have intrigue. Giving them in general a better understanding of cut throat politics and organisation is cool. With its own neagatives obviously but passion and ambition are admirable traits for a race. Actual game wise I dunno add more campaign related skills like cool kids and train folk in them.
>>
>>49884919
The translation is "human mechanical bonuses are dependent on culture"
>>
>>49878105
That's the genric option. Pretty much the opposite of HFY.
>>
>>49886892
Just because every hack author goes for it doesn't change that it's not HFY.
>>
File: 1421716703745.jpg (28KB, 329x244px) Image search: [Google]
1421716703745.jpg
28KB, 329x244px
>>49877970
>So, for Humans, I figured; when compared to Dwarves and Elves and the like, Humans are very brash and impulsive,

But it's not just Dwarves and Elves. Compared to halflings/gnomes/half-orcs/tieflings/goblins/etc., humans are far less brash and impulsive.

That's one of the problems with trying to apply a specific trait to humanity, because humans tend to be the measuring point and median for all other races when it comes to the way the mechanics treat them. If there's a moment where it seems like there is some defining trait for humans, it takes only half a second to come up with a list of possible races that exemplify that characteristic better.

Having humans be a mechanically versatile race is simple, and avoids trying to define humans in a way that might be contrary to the audience's perspective. While it's fine to define fictional races as much as we want, when trying to apply a trait to a race that we are all innately familiar with, you ultimately just end up treating humans as another fictional race, the "Brashfolk", which ultimately ends up defining all the other races as slow and reserved.
>>
>>49880235
The idea does not make sense because it implies the other races are literally retarded compared to humans. Like neurologically handicapped into being incapable at learning at an equal pace to mankind. It makes all that fictional nonhuman bigotry that's supposed to be baseless racism actually true. It turns every last nonhuman race into our inferiors instead of our equals.
>>
>>49887193
Not necessarily; human neurology might be more plastic, even late into their lives, but they might not just have the same level of hardware, so to speak, as elves.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.