[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a blank be an Astartes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

File: 1476711736534.jpg (312KB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
1476711736534.jpg
312KB, 900x1273px
Can a blank be an Astartes?
>>
>>49875531
I think no, because gene-seed reacts negatively against them as all the primarchs were in some way or another psychically active, due to being the Emperor's sons. The fact that we've never seen a blank astartes is probably for a reason.
>>
>>49875531
Yes. There was one in The Emperor's Gift. A Grey Knight who acted as caretaker to the dead, and ensured that no warp or daemonic residue remained tainting the bodies. However, even this marine's existance was kept mainly a secret from anyone in the lower ranks. That said, the Grey Knights have a much wider net when it comes to acquiring applicants, so I wouldn't expect any other chapter to A) find a blank who passes all other criteria, or if they do B)Have the expertise to utilize those abilities effectively.
>>
Yes Thousand Sons had a couple in their novel prior to the heresy.
>>
>>49875531
Maybe but why bother when the Imperium can already make Culexus Assassins that are superior to Astartes in many ways and do just fine.
>>
They seem far too valuable to waste as marine fodder.
>>
>>49877488
Why the fuck can Humans produce such overpowered bullshit like the assassins?
>>
>>49875711
I thought all grey knights had to be psychic to a certain extent?
>>
>>49877543
being a blank is a form of psychic activity...of sort
>>
>>49877588
That's weird, I don't remember any GK being a blank in ADB's novel. Are you talking about the old man thay gets back in the action just for Armaggeddon? Cus he was definitely not a blank.
Hell, a blank is physically painfulfor any psykers near them and at least extremely bothersome when they're in the vicinity. A blank in the GK wouldn't be tolerated.
>>
>>49877513
Well they are extremely expensive, limited in number and not expendable (at least not in the same way as a Marine), so there are drawbacks to putting all your hopes on them.

As for in-universe, they were around since before the Emperor, so presumably Temples use ancient tech to create their assassins.
>>
>>49875531
In theory, there's no reason why not. In practice, Blanks are so rare that they're too valuable to waste on the Astartes, especially since they might be a poor fit for the very close-knit warrior cultures that define a Space Marine chapter. They're going to be shipped straight to the Culexus Temple instead.
>>
>>49877649
I guess so, but holy shit.
How did that one Space Marines vs Eversor Assassins incident go?
>>
>>49877513
What are you expecting from Overpowered Bullshit: The Setting? It's like watching Pulp Fiction and complaining the scenes were out of order
>>
>>49875531
Almost certainly no. Main reason is they're filtered out.

For one, blanks do NOT work well in tight knit groups. Well, it's more that groups don't work well with them, but whatever. Bad idea.
Two, Blanks are a waste as an Astartes. Space marines have well defined roles and perform those near flawlessly. Being a blank would rarely aid their duties and it would make more sense to put blanks into an institution that can make better use of them

Also, Astartes are created from Primarchs. Which are created from the Emperor. The most powerful human psyker ever. The blood is watered down but it is still there. Psyker and Blank mix about as well as you'd expect.
But it's a big galaxy. I'm sure someone out there has the pariah gene, managed to survive long enough to be tested into a Chapter and that Chapter felt it was a good idea to snub the Assassinorum and recruit him themselves.
But don't count on it.

Grey Knights don't follow any rules. They aren't even a Chapter as we know them.
Honestly you might as well just ignore whatever they do. Bloody Sues.
>>
What would happen if you put a marine through assassin's "training" with all the chemical stims and crazy implants and junk?
>>
File: Imperial victory.gif (940KB, 627x502px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial victory.gif
940KB, 627x502px
>>49878023
The plot advances.
>>
>>49875531
No. In Vengeful Spirit, Lion El'Jonson tells a blank that if he put his geneseed in the blank then they are filled and become a Space Marine instead.

As he's the Biology expert of the Primarchs, I think we can take his word on it.
>>
>>49875531
Let's ask the more important question: Why hasn't there been a blank breeding program? It's incredibly rare, yes, but if you breed them together more and more, it will be shockingly LESS rare. Because that's how it works.
Take male blanks and ship their sperm out by the truckload to be used in all fertility clinics. Design a retrograde virus to inject dormant blank Genetic sequences into non-blank humans so that they actually have it available to potentially pass on to offspring. Make blanks fuck each other and non blanks. GET THOSE GENES OUT THERE, YOU DAMN KEKS. THEN YOU GET MORE BLANKS.
>>
>>49878576
It's never fully explained HOW the psyker and pariah genes work. Due to their "magical" nature, it's likely that they're extremely hard to isolate, and don't work on the standards of genetics like we understand them.

Also the Imperium doesn't want MORE psykers and blanks. They hate mutants. They already have more than they practically need through the black ship tithes, and only more are popping up as time goes by.
>>
>>49878576
because they're so rare even a powerful inquisitor is considered blessed to find one.

to have a breeding program, you need to gather a sustainable population and foster it for generations.

you might scour entire sector and find 2 or 3.

in the meantime, there are myriad other pressing matters, heresies, uprisings, mutants and so forth.

also infighting, because some other inquisitor might think you're a heretic and should be hunting actual heretics rather than devoting your time and effort o your silly projects.

and probably assassinorum will want your blanks for their temples.

and probably the Eldar will think they will screw you over because fuck you that's why.
>>
>>49878258
>tells a blank that if he put his geneseed in the blank then they are filled and become a Space Marine instead
I read this three times and I have no idea what you are trying to say
>>
>>49878691
Bullshit, they once had so many blanks shipped to terra it blocked out the astronomicon and people shat themselves.
>>
>>49878714
He basically means the geneseed will take away the blanks 'blankness' and make them more like a normal astartes instead
>>
>>49878714
Wait it finally clicked, he was saying that geneseed cancels out the pariah gene? I think?
>>
>>49878751
Dude what
"This geneseed gives you a soul suddenly, bro. Prepare for a wild ride"
>>
>>49878767
That's 40k for you m8
>>
>>49878023
Then you get an assassin. Possibly a gimped, low powered one, since I doubt assassin modifications play well with the space marine gene seed.
>>
The Black Templars vs Word Bearers thread did some statistics about that.
>>49877704

>>49877588
Actually, no. Being a blank simply means you have a weaker connection to the warp compared to the rest of mankind (or none at all, in the most extreme of cases).
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Assignment
>>
>>49875531
What the fuck is going on in this picture.

>Dark Angel with codex veteran markings
>bolt casings too large to fit in the magazine
>collapsed shoulder with a pauldron doing things it shouldn't
>that perspective
>ginormous torso
>tiny ass, literally
>>
>>49879136
It bothered me too, but I didnt want to show the full extent of my autism
>>
>>49878754
>geneseed cancels out the pariah gene

I need more info on that.
>>
>>49877622
No, I mean the guy who took the body of Sothis away into the catacombs. The guy that made Hyperion nearly throw up just by standing close to him, and who Enceladus refused to even say his name. The guy who can carry a dead astartes body one-handed and is clearly a blank. That guy.
>>
>>49878742
Yeah, that never happened.

>>49878258
Liar.
Lion El'Johnson isn't even in Vengeful Spirit.
>>
>>49880025
Nigga, read
>>
File: HesNotHere.png (156KB, 676x794px) Image search: [Google]
HesNotHere.png
156KB, 676x794px
>>49880091
No u
>>
>>49877769
Ragnar the Space Wold marysue nearly got his shit pushed in on Terra by one.

He was saved by 2 other SW's and a dozen elite navigator bodyguards,
>>
>>49880268
It's Jonson.
>>
>>49881958
> Awaken Eversor Assassin.
> Show it the symbol of Chaos Undivided.
> Throw him out an airlock.
> ???
> Imperial victory.
>>
>>49878942
Bald IS a hairstyle.
>>
File: 1434574306554.png (348KB, 586x586px) Image search: [Google]
1434574306554.png
348KB, 586x586px
>>49882031
>activating Eversor before throwing it out of airlock
>>
>>49878023
Not a whole lot. The best job for a marine would be eversor, but their oolotic kidney's are so good at filtering toxins that the battle-stims the eversor uses to such effect would be filtered out before they could be of any use.

Just keep marines as marines.
>>
>>49882431
The void of space will strengthen it.

My plan is foolproof.
>>
>>49882017
I bet that smarts
>>
File: HesNotHere.png (131KB, 667x781px) Image search: [Google]
HesNotHere.png
131KB, 667x781px
>>49882017
>>49882935
Nope. You're still a liar and a faggot.
>>
>>49877513
because humans have even less scruples about twisting, mutilating and killing their own than even tyranids or necron.
>>
I think Raven Guard blank would work fine

>infiltrate Eldar Craftworld
>Eldar start having nightmares, insomnia, nausea, panic attacks
>start looking of it with psychic powers
>you can't find what doesn't exist
>start looking with their eyes
>it's a fucking Raven Guard so good luck
>a week later half the craftword is dead from blank shock, half is insane from fear, insomnia and paranoia
>>
>>49877668
Or do paperwork for Caiaphas Caine, or join Eisenhorn's distaff...far from all blanks end up in the temple. Alizabeth Bequin was more than twenty when Eisenhorn met her, and until the she had just been "that girl everybody hates and no one feels sorry for". Not all blanks are found, just like not all psykers are found.

>>49877921
>But it's a big galaxy. I'm sure someone out there has the pariah gene, managed to survive long enough to be tested into a Chapter and that Chapter felt it was a good idea to snub the Assassinorum and recruit him themselves.
>But don't count on it.

Honestly, tho, this. I think it has happened, but probably only once or twice. Most of them got punched to death before getting the last implants because blanks are just so easy to hate.
>>
Blanks are incredibly valuable, amd with the incredibly high mortality rate associated with space marine conversion procedures you wouldn't likely see them risking an asset like that.

Blanks are also incredibly unsettling to be around, which would be difficult for such a tightly knit force.

But hey, the universe is a big place, and especially considering the hand the inquisition has had in the creation of certain chapters it's not completely out of the realm of possibility. Assuredly not something you'd ever see in large numbers, however.
>>
>>49875531
Depends on the setting
>>
File: 9oFZqsVsdtU.jpg (27KB, 300x378px) Image search: [Google]
9oFZqsVsdtU.jpg
27KB, 300x378px
>>49885969
>>
>>49875531
I made this question a few days ago.

There is nothing in the canon about it, but there are some theories that it would mess with the geneseed.
>>
>Blank
1 in every billion (thats not picking by gender either, so only half the world ie men are available). remember a blank is just a normal human being with no soul. not a stronger one, or smarter one, or mentally tougher.

that means theres 7 blanks on earth right now, 3.5 are dudes

>Astartes
lets say 1 in 10000 make it to scout phase, maybe 1 in 2 scouts make it to battle brother.

now combine the 2.

there would literally be a blank capable of being an astartes maybe a couple of times every century galaxy wide. and thats assuming they get picked up by the astartes.
>>
>>49878691
Is That why eisenhorn had dozens of them with their own organization?
>>
lets say that a blank, by sheer chance was brought in by the astartes

now lets say none of the other initiates like him, but he passes all the exams, so they have no choice but to let himadvance, they probably woudnt know he was a blank until the librarian throws a fit

astartes are generally given a lot more leeway in running things, and are usually a lot more educated, so they would probably see the value in an anti-psyker marine

this would extremely unlikely due to the triple coincidence of a blank, who is astartes material, and was not shot dead for smelling bad, this would make the blank-marine something of a special snowflake

not that big of a problem, given that this is 40k, and kaldor draigo also exists
>>
>>49889234
>they probably woudnt know he was a blank until the librarian throws a fit
No, all people feel really uncomfortable around blanks.
>>
>>49889008
It does state something along the lines of him possibly having the highest concentration of blanks in the galaxy, and that its a significant inquisitorial resource.
>>
>>49889377
maybe they just think he is smelly
>>
File: 1370127875245.gif (13KB, 439x400px) Image search: [Google]
1370127875245.gif
13KB, 439x400px
>>49885329
>>
>>49889512
Maybe he IS smelly I'm tired of blanks hiding behind their "condition"
>>
So supposedly just like there are Alpha+ psykers there are also these "super-blanks" who are like psychic black holes compared to normal blanks.

Have these things ever made an appearance anywhere? What are they like? Besides the whole soul-sucky thing.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (37KB, 550x537px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
37KB, 550x537px
>>49890508
>>
>>49890691
I want these guys to come back...
>>
>>49889461
It also disproves that you can't get a whole bunch of them if you actually try and aren't a murderous cunt
>>
>>49890774
They never did
:^)
>>
>>49890508
Pariah's are high level blanks.

The problem with blanks and Pariah's is they cause people to hate them.

So An Omega+ Level Pariah ( The Same as an Alpha+ ) would probably be strangled at birth if their Omega+ level doesn't just delete Souls close to them. In that case, it'll probably kill the parent while it's an infant.
>>
File: TheLionofCaliban.jpg (71KB, 425x850px) Image search: [Google]
TheLionofCaliban.jpg
71KB, 425x850px
>>49879136
Also one of there banners has, if I'm not misreading it: IIX, which isn't even correct Roman numerals, and what would it indicate as there are 10 squads to a company and 10 companies to the chapter (supposedly).
>>
>>49890508
Yes. There was only one Omega Plus Pariah that was ever captured alive. It was taken by Erebus and used for crazy experiments, like implanting daemonic sentience directly into his skin (the daemons existed in a state of constant agony) eventually intending to be used to assassinate the Emperor. All it needed was a sample of the Emperor's blood to be able to do so.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.