[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For the guy who was searching for an Final Fantasy RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: ffrpglogo.png (30KB, 673x271px) Image search: [Google]
ffrpglogo.png
30KB, 673x271px
Have you tried the FFRPG 4th Edition? It is avaiable at https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRPG/
>>
>>49870551

Didn't FF straight lift from DD way back then. It shouldn't be hard to home brew a game yourself.
>>
>>49870559
FF1 borrowed a lot from AD&D, yes. But both have branched out and changed a lot from their beginnings.
>>
>>49870573

Well I guess my question is what makes a campaign FF? DnD is defined by it's rules but FF is really just varying flavors of fluff.

You don't need a whole rule set to search for elemental crystals or ride chocobo mounts
>>
>>49870617

From a setting perspective, you're right, and any game that could handle self-referential JRPGs and their mechanics could run it fine.

From a mechanical perspective, you could do some interesting stuff with multiclassing and the Job system in many of the games, or something more complicated like the Junction system or the Sphere Grid (that one is iffier since it seems like a regular talent tree at a glance) to influence play.
>>
There is a really, really great translation of all the FFXIV classes to D&D 5e.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1HBWX5j

I don't think the display is great on non-Chrome browsers, but somewhere there should be a way to download it as a PDF. If there's still I problem I can find a better link.

But yeah, really really nice homebrew content. Hopefully it'll be of help to someone out there!
>>
>>49873554
And yeah I can't post the PDF because it is too big.

It's just that scale of content.
>>
>>49870551
OP of the last thread here.

Can it be used for modern/cyberpunk FF's like 7, 8, 13, and 15?
>>
>>49874006

Yes you can for sure. Game system is easy to transplant to more cyberpunkish games (especially if it is cyberpunkish with sword and magic) like the FF games are.
>>
>>49873793
>It's just that scale of content.
I'm betting that it uses a lot of high-res uncompressed images
>>
>>49870617
As someone working on my own JRPG game, I think that's a really shallow way to look at it. Yes, I could use the PDF >>49873554 linked, which is great work, if I just wanted to run a game of D&D with a FF coat of paint.

But many systems do not mechanically encourage the types of dramatic stories that make JRPGs so compelling, and lack iconic mechanics like the job system. On the other hand, they may feature mechanics that muddy up that feeling. I also think many systems are too complex, and I just want a fun, light-hearted and fast adventure like the old games.

JRPGs traditionally put a lot of gameplay emphasis on combat, but a lot of motivation in the story and characters. Ryuutama is the closest I have come to getting the feeling I want, and ironically it de-emphasizes combat.
>>
>>49874693

This is what the game creator claims he have done with FFRPG 4th (according to that reddit OP posted):

"a) Compact, rules light gaming The actual game book have around 100 pages total, in comparison to 3rd Edition's over 400.

b) Collaborative narrative In character creation and during play, the players can use the built-in collaborative mechanics to drive the story foward.

c) Intuitive task resolution The task resolution mechanics uses a intuitive system, without tables or abitrary difficulty scales. Characters of all levels can contribute to meet the party's goals, without creating the situation where only optimized characters can have a chance of sucess in their area of expertise.

d) Customizable characters Albeit still working on a class/level structure, the job system presents 18 unique jobs with multiclassing rules that allow 80 unique job combinations.

e) Inverted leveling up system Instead of the traditional "Gain XP -> Level Up -> Improve Stats", you invert the logic, and you "Gain XP -> Improve Stats -> Level Up", akin to systems like L5R (but simpler).

f) Fluid combat initiative Instead of having fixed combat initiative orders, the system uses a phase-based system(akin to the 7th Sea combat mechanics) that allows for another level of tactical combat.

g) Character-driven advancement system Instead of just awarding XP for "killing monsters and completing missions", the character advancement system depends on the players character's motives and personality. This allows the players, as a group, to signal to the GM the kind of adventures they want to play. "Killing monsters" and "Completing Missions" are still valid options to earn XP, but it's not mandatory or the sole way.

h) Worldbook Support Worldbooks present campaign settings based on the original Final Fantasy games. The FF IV and VI are already done, and there are more worldbooks planned. "
>>
>>49874820
I am actually reading that PDF now and it has a lot of DD 3.5 design assumptions that I'm specifically avoiding in my game, like mechanized traits, ability scores, skill points, spell lists, multiple magic systems, exhaustive equipment lists and so on.

The job system is also much closer to the video games than my game, with comprehensive stat tables for things like single target damage vs group damage, passive defense vs active defense, healing, disabling, etc. The job abilities are also pretty 3.PF-esque whereas I'm going with a little more narrative style and the classic starter jobs from FF1.

The combat has a lot of 3.5 influence too: complex initiative orders, standard/quick/free actions, very complex elemental damage calculations and complex NPC statblocks.

It's also d100 roll over, which I don't care for.

Also I need a hobby and making this game is it.
>>
>>49875043
>Also I need a hobby and making this game is it.

You also got a duty to keep us informed about your upcoming game :D
>>
>>49875043
Thank you for the quick review, I wanted to give reading that system a shot but it sounds like a waste of time.

Do keep us updated with your though, it definitely sounds like something up my alley!
>>
>>49879377

I would not call it "a waste of time", but it scratches the same itches as any crunchier fantasy game: zero-to-hero gameplay, power fantasy, group-based adventures, so on and so forth. JRPGs were based on those roots to begin with, and this would not be a FFRPG if it strayed from them.

If you're not interested in that kind of game, you won't find a AW hack or something like that here.

About the "complex combat", there is a variant rule (pg 109) that ditches it all for a free-form combat system that is purely narrative if you want it. But thanks for the review anyway!
>>
>>49875043
could you NOT do it as yet another d20 conversion though?

I fucking beg you.

not one of those has ever managed to not suck - and with good reason when the system's broken to start with.

we'll be looking forward to that.
>>
>>49880362
>not one of those has ever managed to not suck
Legend by Rule of Cool.
>>
>>49874820
I've played it for some time.

The narrative mechanics need a little bit of work. XP is supposed to be disseminated through those traits, but while it's true characters of different levels can easily contribute, that's because levels are how your stats were spread or focused: You still want to have close to the same amount of XP as the others to do well.

The task resolution system is simple enough, GM needs to decide difficulty but everyone else just rolls; having levels in skills is rerolls, so someone with Stealth 2 gets to roll 3d100 to see if he gets a pass on any of them on a skill check.

The job system picks a primary and secondary job: you get class abilities every few levels; primary one time, secondary one time, etc. Your proficiencies (weapons/armor) are determined by this combo; so you could take, say, alchemist to be able to use rifles as a white mage if you want.

Each class ability comes with 'specializations' which are further upgrades you can choose one of later on (usually you won't have the appropriate stats till you're higher level than when you got the ability that unlocks it). The specializations may or may not be upgrades to the ability itself; often they're just separate new things. A small handful of class abilities are of the "choose one" type, such as picking between Geomancer/Summoner/Blue-Mage for your "druid".

The levelling system works quite well once you're used to it, combat works well enough (you get several initiative dice, each of those is the phase you'll act in, but you can use counters, delays, etc etc and some abilities let you eat other dice to act now and so on)

The xp-doling-out system is probably what needs the most work, with maybe a look at blue magic as usual since so many of its abilities fall kinda flat (common to most FFs tabletop or otherwise); blue mages get less MPgrowth than other casters so the lower efficiency of many of their spells hits them rather hard.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.