[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 58

File: 1476422929344.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1476422929344.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Last thread >>49778717

>We don't talk about the PDF edition.

GURPS is a universal roleplaying system that is generic, but assumes heroic realism and relatively high lethalty.

Check out http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13 sometime. It's a very good resource.

>Roll for Search

You sense a PDF nearby. It's full of useful links and information, some of a Forbidden Nature.
>>
>>49864875
Replayed Civ: Beyond Earth. Despite the gameplay, inspiring me to put together a fresh colony TL9-10 game.

Is it just me, or do those always devolve into "getting power armor" or "getting an anti materiel rifle"? Seems at some point for me, one of those happens and it derails. I tried my hand once at, instead, starting them all off as ESWAT antiterrorist in Mecha/battlesuits. That was fun. They shot elder gods.
>>
File: 1362618527004.jpg (302KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1362618527004.jpg
302KB, 1280x1707px
>>49864964

I did a TL 9 Mars Colony game, but every weapon was pretty much kitbashed from 3D printers rather then being proper military weapons.

The most common weapon was a light Gauss rifle kitbashed from a coilgun made to drive rivets that because of buggy hacked firmware had ROF 2 or ROF 20! and nothing in between. The other option was a 6 kilowatt optical welder.

In theory any TL 9/10 game can become rocket tag with utterly lethal weapons, but remember most of those are going to be very low LC. It can be more fun to work within the limitations of what civilians can buy or build.
>>
File: 1466732580790.jpg (97KB, 698x1144px) Image search: [Google]
1466732580790.jpg
97KB, 698x1144px
>>49865035
Tru day; high tech means high lethality, for sure. I guess strictly enforcing legality and restricting options based it is the way to go. Or scarcity. Flat out unavailable because you're on the ass end of the universe. The man with the rifle is GOD in that world.
>>
What is it like being a Ghost Mind Emulation in Transhuman Space? Furthermore, how do they usually interact with Sapient Artificial Intelligences?
>>
Reposting form last thread: Should a power parry with Telekinesis work like binding (every five levels of TK takes 1d off of the incoming damage) or like an innate attack (roll TK's thrust damage and subtract that form the incoming attack's damage roll)?

>>49865747
I don't know a whole lot about THS, but I do know the rights (and therefore life experiences) of ghosts and AIs vary wildly from nation to nation. I know in some cases (I want to say UK?) they're full legal people -- the only difference is that they can jump between shells if they need to, though most people probably live using only a single baseline humanoid model that occasionally trade up -- while in others they're seen as abominations and are treated no better than your average fantasy kingdom treats sapient undead.
>>
File: wtf_famalam.jpg (38KB, 400x387px) Image search: [Google]
wtf_famalam.jpg
38KB, 400x387px
> decide to try GURPS
> download GURPS lite PDF
> want to make human warrior
> start out with only 14 hp so I die in like 2 or 3 arrow hits
> have to solve three (3) equations just to get my dodge score
> all sorts of retarded rules about whether my weapon is "ready" or not
> one-second rounds means archer characters are literally punished for existing because they are excluded from 2 out of 3 rounds.
> can't gain hp leveling up
> game wants me to take 10 separate traits just to play as an elf
> have to do multiplication after subtraction after addition JUST TO CALCULATE DAMAGE FOR A BASIC HIT

Even Dungeon World is better than this "game," it's a frustrating exercise in hyper-realism for autistics who lack imagination. Why the fuck would you play this when better systems such as FATE and Burning Wheel exist that can do literally everything GURPS can? Seriously, what is the appeal here? It's like a bunch of preteens dragging their dicks out to brag that they can do algebra, when in reality it doesn't make for a fun game, just a series of autistic math equations that make you completely forget what actually matters in an RPG: the story.
>>
>49866733
Fuck off, shill, and take you stupid memes with you.
>>
>>49866733
> have to solve three (3) equations just to get my dodge score
your doge is your movemend speed faggot its (1) simple division
>>
>>49866733
seems you had something like a 100Cp character. a 100 cp charackter is a normal realistic human
now go and show me a real human who could take more than 3 well shot arows
>>
>>49866781
>>49866817
Guys
Stop
Why/how are you falling for this?
>>
>>49866733
> all sorts of retarded rules about whether my weapon is "ready" or not
yes you have to draw and load a weapon if you want to shoot
>>
>>49866733
> one-second rounds means archer characters are literally punished for existing because they are excluded from 2 out of 3 rounds.
sill your speed or fast draw and shit and a bow isnt a UZI
>>
File: RR.jpg (232KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RR.jpg
232KB, 1600x1000px
>Bows are OP, they kill too quickly, system sux
>Bows are shitty, they take too long to fire, system sux
Here anon, take the closest thing I have to a smug anime grill on the harddrive.
>>
>>49866765

Shill? I'm just pointing out actual, indisputable facts about the game you purport to enjoy. I understand tabletop games are inherently autistic, but they don't have to be *this* autistic.

And let me ask you: how many other systems have you played besides GURPS?

>>49866817
Except I'm not a real human. I'm a roleplaying game character. Also your base hp = your strength so if I don't buy 25 Strength I won't be able to suffer any damage. The issue is not realism, it's the lack of character investment by you forcing things to be gritty like they are in real life.

>>49866860
At what point in my post did I compare a bow and arrow to an Uzi? I merely stated (correctly) that archers in GURPS are punished by only being allowed to act once per round. Whereas swordsmen are allowed to act every round. Once again we have the "trap options" issue that permeates D&D 3.PF and has infected the RPG community for years. Thank god D&D 5e came along and stopped this false elitism. Yet GURPS perpetuates? Where does GURPS get off on saying archers cannot be as good as melee fighters? They are literally 1/3rd as effective. Explain this please.
>>
>>49866915

Exactly. So the solution is bows that fire faster but take more hits to kill, thus balancing them with melee weapons damage-wise and allowing archers to participate in combat evenly and fairly.
>>
>>49866970
>I merely stated (correctly) that archers in GURPS are punished by only being allowed to act once per round. Whereas swordsmen are allowed to act every round.
are you some kind of a retard???
>>
>>49867005
>>49866915
>>49866860
>>49866834
Jesus tapdancing Christ you faggots just cannot stop yourselves from taking obvious b8, can you?
>>
>>49866970
>Where does GURPS get off on saying archers cannot be as good as melee fighters?
first of all there are no classes so grab a club and be a melee fighter if you want to deal meele damage
>>
>>49867005
I don't know, you seem to be the retard seeing as you cannot reply to my post with an actual argument. Probably because it states a fact which you cannot dispute and at best you can offer the same weak tea of a refutation that Pathfinder fags have to offer when their caster supremacy is brought up for the 18 billionth time.

>>49867019
Fuck off, we're having a discussion here.
>>
File: 1276028522795.jpg (79KB, 614x450px) Image search: [Google]
1276028522795.jpg
79KB, 614x450px
>>49866970
>indisputable facts
Disputable opinions

>Except I'm not a real human. I'm a roleplaying game character
Bad assumption going in mate. 100 character points is baseline human. All told, you don't know what you're talking about. Try buying up hp direct? 2points each dawg

GURPS never says archers are as good as melee fighters. Many times, in many books, the truth of the game engine is pointed out. You, however , seem to think this is a flaw of the game. Your poor expectations that archers should be on par or superior were let down.

If you don't like GURPS, get out of the GURPS general dawg.
>>
>>49867019
>>
>>49867033

You are correct there are no classes. I did not state anywhere in my post there were classes, so once again you are projecting. And, if I have got a 17 in the Bows skill but an 11 in swords, guess what? I'm a fucking archer. You are punishing players who choose to specialize in archery. You are making archery a less legitimate option. You are perpetuating an unbalanced game with false, trap options that damage game design. The GURPS rules aren't even very realistic. Yet SJG's autistic interpretation of reality is foisted on anyone who has the misfortune to choose GURPS, putting "realism" before fun with every single mechanic. Archery is just one example.
>>
>>49867037
you are crying for be treated unjust cause you can only mape one action per turn while everyone else can make one action per turn
>>
>>49867053

(1) An average human is like 50 points. Even I know more about GURPS than you and I don't even like the fucking game.

(2) If a game option is objectively worse, then there is no reason to put it in because no one will choose it. Also, making a comabt option specifically worse is a trap option and it is dishonest design.

> . Try buying up hp direct? 2points each dawg

You are limited to 30 percent of your Strength either way. I know how the rules work, faggot. You are still trapped being killed by like 2 arrows, even though you are supposed to be an EPIC HERO after some point.

Oh wait! You aren't?

Guess "GURPS" isn't really that generic after all.
>>
>>49867083
Except reloading a bow shouldn't cost an extra action. It doesn't cost an extra action for a swordsman to ready another swing. Steve Jackson's girlfriend just cheated on him with an archery champ so he got salty and made archery suck to punish Legolas wannabes. That's really all there is to it. You cannot deny that being an archer is objectively worse in GURPS while archers were very effective in real life.
>>
>>49867073
and swodfighters have to move toward th enemy
>>
>>49867100
So which is it then? Is 100 points a superhero or average? Make up your mind
>>
>this is what /tg/ has become
>>
>>49867123
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej3qjUzUzQg
yes archery is clearly the best way of warfare
>>
File: ZgwIASL.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
ZgwIASL.gif
2MB, 400x300px
The trolls are at the gates GURPS general, run while you can
>>
How do I best stat out a Tech-priest like character, in a far future space opera setting where humanity worships and serves a God-like super intelligent AGI?
>>
>>49867184
1.Is magic real?
2. How advanced a future?
3. How warped a society?

All things equal, just crib direct from 40k and shave off the cringe bits.
>>
>>49866970
>Where does GURPS get off on saying archers cannot be as good as melee fighters? They are literally 1/3rd as effective.
Sounds like they kicked your ass
>>
>>49867184
>Tech-Priest who doesn't work for the foundation
kek
>>
>>49867184
Bunch of tech skills and Gadgeteer? I am not aware what exactly tech-priests are able to do.
>>
>>49867184
Is your GM handling everything with points, or are you buying equipment (specifically implants) with cash?

I mean, if you really want to go for the tech-priest feel, shoot for high Theology skill, mediocre levels of repair and usage skills, and low/no inventing skills plus the Hidebound disadvantage.
>>
File: 1464272925905.jpg (113KB, 651x387px) Image search: [Google]
1464272925905.jpg
113KB, 651x387px
Holy shit GURPS gen, what the fuck was that? Feeding the troll were we?

Chris sale, I miss the halcyon days of /tg/ infancy, where we took trolling in stride and beat people with wit and grace. Then again, playing a pigeon at chess, I guess.

Just came by to mention the GURPS Thursday blog day motivated me to write in my WordPress, and to thank you guys for inspiring me to do so...
>>
File: RPM_cheatsheet.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
RPM_cheatsheet.pdf
1B, 486x500px
This RPM "cheatsheet" is really damn useful.
Are there other cheatsheets out there?
I find that a problem with GURPS is how spread out some related rules are, so these cheatsheets make things so much easier.

If there's not others, I might make some.
>>
>>49867123
>You cannot deny that being an archer is objectively worse in GURPS while archers were very effective in real life.
An archer is ineffective. Archers are. 20 arrows fired a minute is a standard rate for historic battles. Hundreds of archers firing twenty arrows a minute were effective. Not a single archer.
>>
File: Cheatsheet.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Cheatsheet.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49867434
>>
File: Fencing weapons.png (1MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Fencing weapons.png
1MB, 2000x2000px
>>49867434
And this; fencing is all over the place
>>
>>49866733
>Even Dungeon World is better than this "game,
Immediately lost any credibility.
>>
File: shotguns.png (2MB, 2104x1344px) Image search: [Google]
shotguns.png
2MB, 2104x1344px
>>49867434
Also, shotguns
Because reasons
>>
>>49867434
I have some, but they're on my other machine, so I'll post them later on in the thread.
>>
>>49866733
Hello Virt
>>
>>49867358
so where's the link?
>>
>>49867471
>>49867504
>>49867523
Awesome, thanks anons.
I'm going to make one for Injury, crippling, etc. I'll post it here soon for feedback and to add anything I might have missed
>>
>>49867590
http://gamingballistic.blogspot.ca/p/gurps-day.html?m=1

I'm Balthazarr, the Mad
>>
Injury cheatsheet is done.
>>
>>49867523
I heard shotguns are actually pretty underwhelming in GURPS, but I've never had a player use them. What're they actually like?
>>
File: 1457471078045.jpg (67KB, 500x702px) Image search: [Google]
1457471078045.jpg
67KB, 500x702px
Someone should write a guide on how to be an archer in GURPS. Troll idiots aside, it really is a pretty complicated way to play.
>>
File: 9966836_1.jpg (126KB, 1200x603px) Image search: [Google]
9966836_1.jpg
126KB, 1200x603px
>>49868257
Pretty good in some roles.

Unarmored targets within 80 yards? It's a great way to land hits with the high bonus from ROF. Note that a lot of modern body armor leaves limbs unarmored and easy to target with a shotgun. They are also great for small and or fast targets, because of the SL bonus from ROF.

The other good is versatile ammo. Heavy slugs are rarely vital, but allow a way to do good amounts of PI++ damage. Flares, lock breaching, less lethal, teargas and exotic material ammo are nice.

Last, they've got a high LC that means even otherwise highly restricted areas allow them.

The disadvantages..

Your only real anti-armor option is slugs or aiming around, as shot is easily defeated by light armor.

Low capacity and high weight per shot.

Most must be reloaded though a gate, rather then a magazine at a time.

Bulky, compared to other options.

Less Accuracy and Range, compared to rifles.
>>
>>49868397
Are there rules for flechette rounds? I recall that in reality they're the armour piercing version of buckshot.
>>
>>49868318
-1) Get a longbow, or a reflex bow if you aren't poorfagging.
0) Take Heroic Archer if you can, along with Weapon Master (Bow).
1) Buy up your Bows skill as high as you can while still remaining competent in other areas.
2) Buy up Fast-Draw (Ammo) to a good level - 14 at the minimum, preferrably 16. You're going to be using it every other turn in combat, so you'd better be good at it.
3) Raise your ST to 11 to get a critical +1 to damage.
4) In combat, keep your distance. Load, Aim, Fire. If you have Fast-Draw (Ammo) at a decent level, you'll be firing (and hitting) every third second of combat. Stay behind your friends, especially the ones with shields and perks that let them block attacks for you.
4.1) If you have Heroic Archer, you don't need to Aim, as you always get the bonus. Ask your GM to let you buy a No Nuisance Rolls perk for Quick-Shooting Bows (MA119) so you can fire an arrow every round.
5) Buy a Targeted Attack for the Face, Neck, or Eyes. These locations are often unarmored, and as an archer, you HATE dealing with armor.

There, you're archering in GURPS and you're good at it.
>>
>>49868456
>as you always* get the bonus
*As long as you're stationary. If you're moving, you don't get your Acc bonus, but you ignore Bulk penalties. This makes you mobile and dangerous with Move and Attack.

Correcting myself as I know GURPSfags love to be exact with their rules.
>>
>>49868257
Do you need a gun that grants a high-RoF bonus to attack rolls but don't want to burn through ammo? Do you desire a ton of strange variant rounds? Do you want a big gun that's not LC2/LC1? Get a shotgun.

Do you need a gun with a lot of penetrative power, accuracy, and/or range? Don't get a shotgun.

Shotguns are great at being "adventuring" guns because they're versatile, cheap, (relatively) easy to get, and can take down light foes. They sort of suck at being "soldiering" guns because they lack in basically all the traits people look for in guns (penetrative power, accuracy, and range), so once you've got the cash/clearance to get a decent rifle, shotguns are basically irrelevant for killing shit.
>>
>>49868456
Take the strongbow perk to get another +1 to damage.
>>
File: 1393166433466.png (636KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1393166433466.png
636KB, 500x750px
>>49868521
ST 11 + Strongbow has the same damage as ST 11 without strongbow.

>>49868456

Added thoughts..

Watch out for people with shields. A decent Block score can ruin a shot.

Don't be afraid to take it slow. If you can't get Heroic Archer (No cinimatic options game) then don't panic, just keep your distance and aim before you fire.

You still have a huge advantage over people with melee weapons, as you can strike at a distance. Make sure to use All Out Attack if you aren't in a place where someone will be able to strike at you next turn. The extra +1 is great.

Likewise, Weapon Bond on your bow is a good investment.
>>
>>49868771
>ST 11 + Strongbow has the same damage as ST 11 without strongbow.
I don't remember the exact wording on Strongbow, but wouldn't you be able to get the same effect with ST10 and the perk as with ST11? Saves you 9 points. You miss out on some HP and lifting ability, or extra damage for a melee option, though.
>>
>>49868450
Sure, High Tech page 103 has Flechette rounds for a 12 gauge as 1d+1 pi-, Range 100/1,200 and 20 flechette's per shell.

That's not very AP.

There is APHC slugs, for 5d(2) pi+. They can wreck someone's day, but have the slight problem of LC2.
>>
File: 1356478873475.jpg (391KB, 1680x942px) Image search: [Google]
1356478873475.jpg
391KB, 1680x942px
>>49868838
It's basically "you can use a bow 1 ST higher then you should be", so yeah, ST 10 + Strongbow is an option. With Fine (Material) arrows you can get an extra +1 damage for $4 gurpsdollars an arrow.

ST 11 is useful for a lot of characters, the extra HP and lifting is nice for people that might want to wear armor.
>>
Anyone ever played an Infinite Worlds campaign? How did it go?
>>
>>49868879
APDS slug 10 gauge +P ammo.

13d(2) pi+ for 4.5 x CPS
>>
>>49868909
But with Lifting ST 1 and 1 HP, you're still 3 points richer! (quirk-level Miserliness:only when theorycrafting on a kenyan facepainting forum)
>>
>>49869319
Actually, 4 points richer.
>>
When you put Flaming Weapon on a weapon, what part of damage is the burn damage? Is it (final weapon damage)+2 from the spell, or is it JUST the +2 from the spell?
>>
>>49869975
Only the added damage from Flaming Weapon is burning.
Example: My broadsword does 1d+1 cut. With Flaming Weapon on it, it now does 1d+1 cut +2 burn.
>>
>>49870006
So burning damage from Flaming Weapon will never set clothes alight unless I make continuous contact with the clothes, as in B433 Making Things Burn? (Or douse the guy in alcohol?)
>>
>>49870083
Correct.
>>
>>49870091
That's a bit lame. Well I can always give the players a "Sword of Extreme Blaze" if I so choose. Thanks!
>>
>>49870083
Loose and highly flammable clothing (gauzy/lacey stuff) can burn at a touch. You can also, as you noted, light 'em up if they are treated with something flammable.

Note that armor is very resistant to catching fire.
>>
What is Flaming Weapon by the way? Can't you make extra Incendiary version of it?
>>
>>49866733

It seems like you were hoping for something more like D&D. Try reading the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series, they might be more to your liking.
>>
>>49870399
Anon, he's talking out his ass. I doubt he ever read anything at all.
>>
>>49870399
>>49870586
Yeah. Don't pay any mind. He's a faggot.
>>
File: shock to smile.gif (1006KB, 260x187px) Image search: [Google]
shock to smile.gif
1006KB, 260x187px
>>49870363
That sounds fun.
>>
>>49870131
Put them up against lacquered paper armour.
>>
>>49870741
Ah. Very true.
>>
>>49870586
>>49870649

I'm well aware he's trolling but I feel like answering trolls with helpful comments is 100% better than just yelling at them. Some of the "problems" he mentioned are things that newcomers might think are issues with the system, so it's best to be helpful in case newbies see what they might think is a genuine complaint answered with vitriol.
>>
For the Boil Water spell, what's the best way to simplify the cost into manageable chunks? Right now the description is a bit of a mess.
>>
>>49871347
Oh, and also how can I determine how much steam is produced if I spend, say, 9 FP on the spell?
>>
>>49870389

Yeah, you can do that - there're examples of such modifications in the Epic Magic issue of pyramid, along with other Essential spells.

Hellfire is massively overcosted compared to the others mind you - I'd drop the cosmic lingering nonsense and just keep the incendiary boost.
>>
Hello GURPSters and GURPSettes, is there an official rule on how All Out Attacks and Extra Effort can be combined? Can you combine AoA (Strong) with Mighty Blow, for example? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>49872350
No, but Focused Fury perk allows that.
>>
themook put up a quiz that tests how autistically well you know GURPS. I got 23/30 without cracking open a book or googling anything (though admittedly I did guess right a few times). What's /gurpsg/'s results?

http://www.themook.net/gamegeekery/quiz-30-years-of-gurps/
>>
>>49874613
I made about 17/30, I believe. I just never read some of this stuff.
>>
>>49874613
I made 18. Some of the wrong was some shit I don't care about like release date. Mostly it was rules I don't care about and don't use.
>>
>>49874613
I wasn't there for any of the pre-4e happenings, and I basically guessed all of it. I've not read most of the 4e books, and basically guessed at least half of the questions. I got 30/30.
>>
>>49874613
I only got 23. I have house ruled the ST table for so long I knew there was no way I'd get that one and I've never actually played Action much less used the chase rules. The remaining were forehead slapping moments though.
>>
>>49874613
20/30. Not bad. I'm sure a lot of them were just forgetting values off by one.
>>
Question. If you used the Lighten spell on a weapon, would that reduce its Min ST as well? And if so, would you end up using a Min ST for a weapon of a similar weight, or is there some other way to calculate it?
>>
>>49877373
Min ST isn't just about a weapon's weight. If it were a tiny little holdout pistol would have a 0 there. It's about how unwieldy a weapon is and how much damage a weapon could possibly do at most. There are probably a few other things wrapped up in there also. So no. Don't change Min ST unless you're changing the shape or size of the weapon not just its weight.
>>
>>49877373
RAW, I have no idea, but if you want to change the ST, I recommend using the tables from Low-Tech Companion 2 (pic related). LTC2 is great for equipment customization in general.
>>
>>49877373
I'd think so. Not sure of the right way to calculate it. I think the damage should be reduced if you cast Lighten on a melee or thrown weapon, though.
>>
>>49877743
Surely weight factors some into how it functions. Of course I wouldn't be going to such extreme lengths, but if a giant log suddenly weighs as much as a pool noodle, some logic says you could wield it even under Min ST for the normal weight, you just couldn't do as much harm, and you'd cap out the Min ST quicker.
>>
File: 1449618920875.jpg (396KB, 1017x926px) Image search: [Google]
1449618920875.jpg
396KB, 1017x926px
>>49877761
Ah, perfect. This does exactly what I need. Thanks.
>>
File: 1447806835818.png (96KB, 519x370px) Image search: [Google]
1447806835818.png
96KB, 519x370px
>>49878351
>Padded
>leather
>studded
Y U Do dis?!
>>
File: 1382642272155.jpg (699KB, 1269x949px) Image search: [Google]
1382642272155.jpg
699KB, 1269x949px
>>49878412
To make you feel pain.
>>
File: 1441327678437.jpg (20KB, 296x418px) Image search: [Google]
1441327678437.jpg
20KB, 296x418px
>>49878441
Fucking hell, is this the Soul Calibur effect?
>>
>>49878335
Surely it does which is why I said: >isn't just about a weapon's weight
>>
File: field-strip.jpg (99KB, 900x536px) Image search: [Google]
field-strip.jpg
99KB, 900x536px
>>49878495
There's a lot of neon filth out there, anon. Let's settle back down.
>>
>>49874613

28/30

Didn't remember Polar Bear ST or the chase rules. Had to guess on the 4th edition release date, but got that right. Literally everything else memorised. I may have a problem.
>>
>>49878956
No, my son, you have a GIFT.
>>
>>49878351
>>49878412
Can any histofags help me out here? What all is inaccurate in this? It seems reasonable to me
>>
>>49879992
Just nagging over how certain kinds of armor never existed.
>>
>>49878351
>>49878441

>leather armor
>studded leather
Get this filth out of my face.

This is why I hate fantasy games and DnD worlds.

Educate yourself.
>>
What's the highest strength bow I can realistically get in TL3 setting regardless of cost?
>>
>>49879992
It isn't. It is portrayal of D&D armor, which was very historically inaccurate. Mail refers to chainmail only, there is no such thing as "scale mail"
>>
>>49874613
Gave up pretty quickly.
Granted, I've been playing GURPS for about five or six sessions so far, and I have truly no idea what I'm doing.
But I'm trying my best to at the very least know the rules related to the skills and equipment I have.
>>
>>49880461
You'd have to crunch some numbers using The Deadly Spring and limit yourself to realistic dimensions/designs.
>>
Which would you rather see fleshed out into a full game?

>Stargate 1888; Pax Brittanica Stellaris

>Ghostbusters;Neotokyo

>Astral Kaiju
think Green Lantern Corps crossed with Pacific rim, with a splash of slice of life anime

>The Werewolf
a cross extrapolation of the Mummy movie franchise, applied to lycanthropy, eastern Orthodox religion, and darkest Romania
>>
File: tumblr_nkl5gorD5M1tyzumgo1_500.jpg (79KB, 500x562px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkl5gorD5M1tyzumgo1_500.jpg
79KB, 500x562px
>>49881031
The Werewolf, personally. It's the sort of Universal Monster meets RPG horror stuff that I dig on.
>>
>>49881031
Can I just get lantern corps without anime memes?
>>
>>49880883
Fuck me. Was hoping there was a list or something. Welp, back to the algebra mine.
>>
File: 1453798366314.jpg (103KB, 1090x645px) Image search: [Google]
1453798366314.jpg
103KB, 1090x645px
>>49881274
If your egonna have psychic samurai in building sized psionic constructs, why not have a bit of traditional Japanese culture on top?
>>
>>49881274
>Pacific Rim AKA that time Del Toro binged on Evangelion
>Not inherenly anime

You can have Lantern Corps sans Pacific Rim if you want.
>>
>>49883874
>
What does this even mean?
>>
>>49883903
It's a bug that happens sometimes when deleting a post.
>>
I wanna play in a game where I can be an RPM caster!
>>
>>49864875

Any pointers for playing a solo game with a living God (think Vivec in Morrowind, when he used to walk outside of his temple) player character? How do I best role play the mindset of a mage who turned himself into a physical god?
>>
I want to use GURPS to run a Matrix style campaign. What modules should I get?
>>
>>49885436
Action, Gun Fu.
For help from hacker from outside the matrix, I'd say use omnipresent patron that grants abilities, maybe with limitation Requires Cellphone or Radio, -10%, iirc how it worked in the movies.
>>
>>49885497
They always have their abilities in the movies, what the external operator allowed was a personal training server and another where they could pick up anything they want and take it with them in the main matrix.
>>
>>49885604
Nah, I am talking about temporary skills, like when Trinity learned how to pilot helicopter without any training. I don't recall if they needed earphone to contact with operator or not.
>>
>>49878412

You forgot
>scale mail
>splint mail
>calling any armour that isn't made of chain "mail"
>>
>>49885807
Ropemail?
>>
>>49879992

Padded armour: fine, existed historically, image looks somewhat like a plausible design.

Leather armour: rare historically, more commonly used as the top layer of padded cloth to provide abrasion resistance and weatherproofing. Sometimes hardened leather was used in plates or scales. Image shows leather too thin to provide any real protection from weapons.

Studded leather: not a historical armour type, except maybe someone might have riveted hardened leather plates together. Probably based on images of brigantine, which was metal plates riveted under cloth or leather. Illustration shows a fairly reasonable design for leather armour with added studs.

Chain shirt: basically fine. Some weird edging, and missing the padding that would be worn under it. Image seems to show that it opens at the front, which would be rare but not unheard of. Links are way too large, but it's difficult to paint so OK.

Hide: see leather.

Scale mail: not a type of mail, unless it consists of scales attached to mail (a very rare design, only used by the Romans I believe). However, scale is historical and looked roughly like the picture. Even the pauldrons seem vaguely believable, although anyone with the technology to make them would probably just make proper plate instead of fucking about with scale.

Chainmail: usually just called 'mail' by historyfags. Illustration is a bit weird. If those are cloth sections or mail over cloth it leaves huge gaps in protection. This might be based on a weird interpretation of pointed arming jackets intended to be worn under plate (the mail only covering the bits the plate doesn't. Or it could be cloth stitched over mail, which was done historically but usually covered all the mail.

Breastplate: basically fine. Was worn historically by itself or over padded coats. Waist shape on the image seems a little off, but not terrible.

(comment too long... continued in next post)
>>
File: Guenther_von_schwarzburg.jpg (88KB, 269x655px) Image search: [Google]
Guenther_von_schwarzburg.jpg
88KB, 269x655px
>>49886260

Splint mail. Not a historical armour type, doesn't seem to have any mail in it (although the plates could theoretically be attached to mail underneath). Splint armour was metal strips riveted to cloth or leather. Plated mail was small plates with mail between them. The picture seems to show some kind of crude lammellar. No idea what the studded bands around the shoulders or the weird kidney plates are for.

Banded mail. Probably not historical, based on victorian speculation about illustrations which were probably just an awkward depiction of normal mail. Illustration doesn't look like any kind of mail, but rather some form or cloth or leather armour. There could well be some mail or metal plates hidden under the surface, I guess.

Full plate: a historical armour type, but with a pretty terrible illustration. Full plate would usually include greaves to cover the shins and often sabatons over the feet too (that's why it's full plate; it covers the full body). Illustrator seems to have no idea how pauldrons (shoulder protection) or gorgets (neck) work, blending them all together into a mass of metal which would make it impossible to fight in.

Half-plate: again a real historical armour type. I'd usually expect half-plate to cover the arms and groin at least, but the illustration isn't as bad as the full-plate one. Main issue is that the breastplate seems to go too far down the torso, which would restrict movement. Real breastplates only reach just below the ribcage.

Buckler; fine so long as it isn't meant to be in scale with the other stuff. Bucklers were generally quite small.

Steel shield; metal shields were rare historically, especially large ones, but it's basically fine.

Tower shield; doesn't seem to be based on any known historical example, but looks fine.
>>
New pyramid.

Image is just the preview; too large to post here.

Full version in the archive:

https://mega.nz/#!vhdxHB7S!2eFg6iBzd5NvW5nT7YhuAAqqXO3GZkW0jlro9VeJyXs
>>
File: determining weapon st.png (197KB, 440x1110px) Image search: [Google]
determining weapon st.png
197KB, 440x1110px
>>49878335
LT2 has rules for determining a weapon's ST value by its effective weight on pages 15 and 16, which were designed for the combination weapon rules.
no reason why it can't be used to fiddle with existing weapons though.

also i guess the rules for scaling weapons and armour on pages 20 and 21 could help, but to be honest they provide only a very small change in damage - a weapon only starts to gain or loses damage on this table when it reaches a multiple of 2.25 and 0.64 of its original weight, respectively, and this is on top of the weapon being made bigger or smaller for the increased or decreased SM.
>>
>>49880461
Simple way: 3 times the bow's min ST.
Complex way: a. use the Deadly Spring. b. hit your face with a hammer. I find b more appealing, myself.
>>
>>49886665
A friend said 20ST limit for wood, 30 for compound wood and 60 for steel. This lets you make high power military crossbows but nods to structural limits
>>
>>49886440
>Ultra-Tech Armor Design
>The complexities of powered battle-suits and force fields are beyond the article’s scope.

Awww...
>>
File: Based Historyfriend.png (2MB, 1908x1775px) Image search: [Google]
Based Historyfriend.png
2MB, 1908x1775px
>>49886260
>>49886363
You da best
>>
>>49886440

>ultra-tech armour design
>ultra-tech bow design

God damnit fuck I was working on those. Motherfuckers beat me. Though I'm glad someone did the bow one for me because fuck me those formulae are complicated.
>>
>>49886440
Hot damn. Thanks, anon.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (240KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
240KB, 1920x1080px
>>49887116
>ultra-tech armour design
>ultra-tech bow design
>>
File: Jeremy-Renner-Photos-HD.jpg (123KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Jeremy-Renner-Photos-HD.jpg
123KB, 1024x768px
>>49886440
>No homing arrows
>TL9 bows are Acc 0
>>
File: DavidPulver.png (95KB, 851x230px) Image search: [Google]
DavidPulver.png
95KB, 851x230px
It starts with catgirls and ends up with shitting in your fursuit.
>>
>>49887852

The madman keeps getting away with it!

The catgirls get a pass because of dominion tank police though
>>
File: fremen_warrior_by_kunkkunk.jpg (120KB, 800x1059px) Image search: [Google]
fremen_warrior_by_kunkkunk.jpg
120KB, 800x1059px
>>49887852
>fursuit
>>
>>49888083
>The madman keeps getting away with it!
Not really. We would have GURPS Furries already if SJ let him write it.
>>
>>49887852

He may be a degenerate but he makes great systems.
>>
>>49871347
I'm not sure what your issue with the description is...

One cubic foot of water converted into steam is about 40 cubic yards (a little over a thousand cubic feet) of steam, which is enough to fill about 20 hexes.

2 FP creates a hex of steam (roughly 2 cubic yards or 54 cubic feet) from a small quantity of water (it says 'fist sized' but to be consistent with the other effects it would be more like a third of a gallon or 1.6 litres).

4 FP turns a cubic foot of water into 40 cubic yards (1,080 cubic feet) of steam.

6 FP turns 9 cubic feet of water into 400 cubic yards (10,800 cubic feet) of steam.

Each 3 FP after that converts another 9 cubic feet into 400 cubic yards of steam. So 9 FP gives you 800 cubic yards of steam.
>>
Has anyone done a random generator for one of the armour construction systems? Dungeon Fantasy 8 being restricted to Basic Set armour is a bit dull.
>>
>>49890761
GURPScalculator.com
>>
>>49891912
That only seems to do the ones in Dungeon Fantasy 8; the same stuff found in the Basic Set. I was hoping for something using the Low-Tech or Pulver's Armour Design rules.
>>
>>49890761

There doesn't seem to be one, so I guess it's getting shit done time on /tg/ again.
>>
>>49864964
Just use the Alpha Centauri gurps PDF.
>>
Hi guys, Im highly fascinated by the GURPS system and all the posibilities it presents, yet I dont undestand why it justifies the huge effort to learn it and being able to play it.

Basically why this system?
>>
>>49892620
Because I've been playing it since 5th grade so I know it inside and out enough to make it second nature to use. And because it gives me unprecedented customization of people and places within my campaigns. After I finish this one last magnum opus campaign though, I'm done with it outside of hobby writing.
>>
File: shotgun_by_vombavr-d599u1p.jpg (128KB, 1280x913px) Image search: [Google]
shotgun_by_vombavr-d599u1p.jpg
128KB, 1280x913px
>>49868397

Solid slugs make shotguns *very* handy in a monster hunting game. Pi++ versus IT: Unliving is nice. You typically only get Pi++ with a rifle if you go with a big game hunting rifle or anti-freaking-material rifle (very heavy) loaded with hollowpoint rounds...and those double the DR of your target.
>>
>>49868508

At 5d pi++, shotgun slugs are plenty powerful.
>>
>>49892620

Basically, it's useful for a wider range of genres and settings than a typical system (although it isn't the ideal system for everything) so you would have to learn several different systems to cover what GURPS can.

It also isn't actually that hard to learn, especially when you compare it to games in genres which aren't easily covered by rules-light systems. Ars Magica is almost as complicated and basically only has flexible magic which GURPS does too. Burning Wheel is probably harder to learn and only does gritty fantasy with detailed social conflict. HERO system, Exalted, even D&D are all comparably difficult and offer only a narrow range of things they are good at which are all covered by GURPS.

It also has the best writers in the business. Pretty much every book is well-researched and extremely readable and there are a lot of them covering a huge amount of material. If Savage Worlds or BRP had that kind of support, I'd probably play them rather than GURPS (in all fairness, I do play them too) because I'm not in love with all the system choices made by the GURPS authors but they just can't compete with the sheer volume of good stuff that SJ Games have.
>>
File: mixed plate.jpg (30KB, 420x541px) Image search: [Google]
mixed plate.jpg
30KB, 420x541px
>>49892431
OK; how to approach this? Simply randomly generate coverage and material? Have set pieces like vambraces, hauberks, jackets and so on with a short list of materials and features they can be made from? How to handle TL? How to handle mixed pieces like in the image?
>>
>>49892658
Well having learnt it early helps a lot.
>>49892846
Thats one thing I noticed, the modules are awesome to read not just to apply it to GURPS, the basic ideas from some books ,ex. Zombies, is amazing to get inspired for oneshots, campaigns,etc... even if its for another system.

You say the system isnt much more difficult to learn than any other system, but why do people to stereotype this game as a "only for PhD in Math or Physics" and that kind of stuff
>>
>>49892895
If I were doing that I'd divide cuirass into chestpiece, backpiece, fauld, and then a random option for a plackart.

That has a brigandine chestpiece and backpiece, steel plackart and articulated steel fauld.

So do a roll to see if it has a backpice, fauld, and plackart (and I guess chestpiece too if you want but generally that's mandatory), then do a random roll to see what the material of each would be.
>>
>>49892620
There really isn't a huge effort to learn it. That's just a meme floating around. GURPS is just a classless point-buy roll under system.

What does take a lot of effort is gaining enough understanding of what is behind the curtain in order to modify the rules and come up with house rules that fit in seamlessly with the rest of the system. You don't need that in order to play or even to run games. Most systems don't allow that at all much less in a way that integrates with the rest of the rules well.

GURPS is either a rules system you pick up to play your favorite setting (or setting of the week without having to learn new rules each week) OR it's a toolbox you can use to custom build your own game rules set. Most new people only see the second part and are overwhelmed. Most who are familiar mix the two parts freely but that isn't at all necessary to start and to enjoy games.

It's generic system with a lot of special rules that support a lot of things. You aren't supposed to use all the things at once. That's hard to grasp for those newly come to the system.
>>
>>49892982
>You say the system isnt much more difficult to learn than any other system...

I wouldn't say any other system. Some systems are easier to learn than others and GURPS is certainly one of the harder ones. But it's also a good system which can be used for a lot of things. Easy systems tend to only cover a narrow set of games well if they even manage that. Comparably difficult games are either more narrow in what they cover or not as well written. So in terms of effort put in to learn it vs. reward you get from playing I think GURPS is a good investment if you want to play a lot of different styles of game.

>...but why do people to stereotype this game as a "only for PhD in Math or Physics" and that kind of stuff

Hyperbole basically. There are certainly some parts of GURPS which require more math than the average game, but most of it is simple multiplication and division, usually by fairly small numbers. For example you have to divide by 2 to calculate your Basic Speed and you might need to work out what 80% of a two-digit number is in order to calculate to calculate some advantage costs. Most of this math is handled during character creation, so you don't need to worry about it in the middle of combat or anything.

Two things which are a bit tricky are calculating the hit points of something based on it's mass, which requires you to find the cube root of a number and the collision and falling rules which require a fair bit of multiplication and division. It's even worse if you have to calculate falling damage in non-standard gravity, which requires you to do a square-root calculation to determine velocity. However these are things which you can easily ignore or use optional rules to simplify and cover stuff which isn't addressed by the vast majority of systems.

There's also some design systems (mostly to do with vehicles) which required a lot of calculation. These are all optional and in some cases aren't even for the current edition.
>>
>>49892982
Because people are goddamn mongs, Anon. How is this news to you? 3.PF is harder to learn because of all the trap options and stupid shit.
>>
>>49893020

I'm thinking something like starting with a base-piece and rolling to see what attachments it has. So you might start with a torso piece, then roll once to see how long it is (torso only, groin, half-legs, etc), once to see what kind of sleeves it has (none, elbow length, wrist length, full length with built in gloves) and once to see how high it goes (collar, hood).

Possibly different tables for rigid and flexible. Then roll for material in that category, with a possibility of mixed material (which would probably be a list of combinations which make sense; one table for the various types of mail, one for different weights of cloth or leather, one for brigandine, plates, etc).
>>
File: dwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarf.png (28KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarf.png
28KB, 800x600px
so, these are my dwarves, should they have the elongated box SM modifier?
>>
>>49878651
is that a 'grease gun'? fuck m8, this is even more simple than i thought, that's basically a iron tube
>>
>>49893877
I think it's a Polish gun.
>>
>>49893437
OK, so starting pieces might be...

Cuirass (rigid chest armour, can have collar, sleeves and skirts attached)
Coat (flexible torso armour, can have sleeves, skirt, collar or hood attached)
Breastplate (covers chest, can have front-only skirt attached)
Collar (can have sleeves attached)
Pectoral (covers vitals from the front)
Leggings (start at the thighs, can reach down to shins)
Skirt (covers abdomen, can extend to thighs and knees, can be front only)
Greaves (shins only)
Boots (feet and possibly shins)
Vambraces (cover forearms, can include elbow and partial hand protection)
Gauntlets (cover hands, can extend to forearms)
Helmet (can have a great many options)
Hood (covers skull and neck, can include a standard covering the upper chest)

That's already looking pretty complicated...
>>
>>49893877
Guns are surprisingly really simple things to make.
>>
>>49893774
Yes

>>49893877
>>49893980

It's a BÅ‚yskawica. Basically a Sten with some parts rearranged.
>>
>>49867504

If you could "kitbash" together something similar for Dual Wielding, I would appreciate the gesture.
>>
>>49894066

Let's see..

1-6 for type

1: Cloth or leather armor
2: Light chain-mail
3: Heavy Chain-mail
4: Cheap Heavy Armor
5: Plate Armor
6: Exotic

Padded cloth:

1: Uniform padded cloth Coat, Leggings, Cap with medium leather gloves and boots.
2: Reinforced padded cloth jacket (leather over fabric) with 1-3 Light Chain layered over the Torso and Abdomen from the front only. (Avoids layering penality). Medum leather leggings, boots, gloves. Light chain halbirk over padded cap.

Ect.. You could break it down more, and do it by location.
>>
File: SwordsMan.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
SwordsMan.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Thoughts?
>>
>>49897554
>swordsman
>not sworder or swordling or something
>not picking skill adaptation (broadsword to sex appeal)
Eh.

Add Observation.
Also, what is his backstory? If he was alive at some point, he may know hunting-related stuff as many nobles do.
>>
As far generic games go, why would a newbie choose GURPS over Savage Worlds, which seems less intimidating and less gm-intensive?
>>
>>49897805
Because they want to use GURPS mechanics.
>>
File: SwordsMan.jpg (46KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
SwordsMan.jpg
46KB, 500x625px
>>49897554
This guy?
AWESOME
>>
>>49897805
GURPS can give you real world values for guns, swords , falling, catching fire, driving a semi truck off a cliff, etc. Stuff that comes up in a game. Very visceral feel. Great verisimilitude.

Savage worlds can only narratively describe those situations and things, vaguely at best.
>>
>>49897805
I can't answer never having played Savage Worlds. Others with more experience may offer more useful points there. I recommend that you ask the same question in the Savage Worlds thread in order to get a more rounded view.
>>
>>49897845
This is the least helpful way to phrase a nonetheless correct response.
>>
File: 48c.jpg (34KB, 400x301px) Image search: [Google]
48c.jpg
34KB, 400x301px
>>49897951
>>
>>49897951
GURPS is a gameist system toolkit based on reality that is rules-light to rules-heavy, complex while being mostly intuitive. Savage Worlds is a cinematic system toolkit based on movies that is rules-medium, not complex while being intuitive. We can demonstrate this complexity by analyzing how, in both systems, we can throw D&D-style fireballs.

GURPS: Innate Attack with any number of modifiers that can color the feel of the fireball, as well as change its mechanics. We can change the skills used for throwing the fireball. We can make conjuring the fireball a skill roll. We can make the fireball out of cosmic fire, so that it never burns out. We can make it a fickle fireball from an elemental living inside of our robot character who was wrongfully imprisoned as a power source. We can make the fireball a corrupting thing to use with demon pacts that will eventually completely subvert the caster. We can make a chaos dunk.

We can use Basic Magic, making the fireball a skill that requires training and time to use effectively, making it dangerous to charge in battle, but they could walk around with the spell held in their hands. This held spell, should harm befall the caster, might go off at their feet, which is a bad thing.

We can use Ritual Path Magic to create fireball charms. We can use gadgeteer to make a giant roman candle. We can use plain old molotov cocktails, if we're willing to stretch what a fireball means (appropriate for delusional characters). Each of these is mechanically distinct and have their own feel and interaction with the system.

In Savage Worlds, you take the "throw cool balls of stuff" power and slap the Fire trapping on it. Your Arcane Background might change the mechanics slightly. That's your fireball, that's everyone's fireball. Savage Worlds is easier to play and run because you lose the complexity of GURPS, where you can play sixteen different fireball-capable characters with each one feeling drastically different.
>>
>>49898290
BMW 300 piece hand tool set with carrying case
Vs
A multipick screwdriver
>>
>>49898470
If I assume GURPS is the multipick screwdriver, then yes, you'd be correct. A simple, modular solution for a wide variety of situations.
>>
>>49898290

Excellent reply and food for thought, thank you.
>>
File: brigandine 2.jpg (62KB, 446x595px) Image search: [Google]
brigandine 2.jpg
62KB, 446x595px
Brigandine
>>
>>49898290
>>49898470

I like the level of visceral detail in GURPS.

In one fight I was facing two people armed with maces while armed with a two handed sword.

I exploited the better reach and managed to cut one down, but the other charged me recklessly and managed to land a hit on my left arm despite my attempt to parry. His mace broke my left arm and left me reeling in pain, unable to exploit his careless charge.

I dropped the sword I couldn't use in one hand, instead pulling a knife. I had to retreat from him to stay away from the mace, then when my head had cleared from the pain I stepped into him, inside his reach and stabbed him. One good hit didn't kill him, but it left him reeling and before he could recover I'd caught him again with the knife and finished him off.

You don't get those kinds of fights outside of GURPS, with lasting wounds and the need to constantly shift tactics depending on how things have developed.
>>
>>49897805
Detail, realism, flexibility.

Savage Worlds is fairly abstract, assumes that all PCs are fairly similar (always about the same power level, always relatively close to baseline humans) and has a rather limited range of sourcebooks.

On the other hand, its system is faster and more elegant than GURPS and in my opinion works better for the things it is good at which include the most common genres and settings that people actually play in.
>>
>>49890761
>>49892431
>>49892895
>>49893020
>>49893437
>>49894066
>>49896651

Don't worry, GURPSfriends, I've been working on one for a while now. It already makes armour based on Pulver's article(s) and user input. Just have to add random generation. And I already plotted out how to do it.

I have, however, already done 90% of the work for a random beam weapon generator. Both of these projects are in my Github repo, but I might not have pushed the most recent builds.
>>
File: 1457830201340.png (320KB, 540x643px) Image search: [Google]
1457830201340.png
320KB, 540x643px
>>49887852
I don't see why thus is magical realm.
Plenty of video game suits appear to have this feature.

To name a few...
>Halo Spartan armor
>Samus' suit
>probably Fallout power armor

Honestly, why didn't we have this in the basic set?
>>
>>49897805
As someone who's played both:
I found Savage Worlds frustrating. The character creation was quite limited, and I never felt like my character was *actually competent* at the things he was trained in. Better training in a skill means a bigger dice, but that doesn't actually ensure more frequent success.

The SW rules are faster to play, certainly, but, to me, that wasn't worth the trade off of constantly failing skill rolls. If I make a character that's meant to be an uber-hacker, he shouldn't have trouble hacking anything but the most secured computers. In SW he failed all the time. That wasn't fun to me.
>>
>>49901789

It's not so much that other franchises don't have it, it's that they don't explicitly mention it. GURPS likes being comprehensive and doesn't shy away from these things, hence why there's a single skill that is explicitly for persuading someone with your dick/tits, rather than it being rolled into another skill to avoid talking too much about sexy things.
>>
File: tumblr_ns47x6Y2S31sndzdgo1_1280.jpg (204KB, 981x820px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns47x6Y2S31sndzdgo1_1280.jpg
204KB, 981x820px
Hey guys, I'm looking to do GURPS as a one-shot to see if I want to continue with the system, how much points and what books should i start with for a group of average space miners using improvised weapons against a pirate/alien/corporate death squad/etc attack?
>>
>>49902414
>one-shot
GURPS Lite.
>>
>>49902414

Try Lite, Space and Ultra-Tech:

Lite makes the mechanics simpler, so you ignore the more complex aspects of the system when you're starting out.

Space is only really for the Space Worker and Technician (pp. 234-235) templates, so you don't have to stress too much over character creation. They don't have many weapon skills, so consider bumping your PCs up to 80 or so points. Space Worker is 75 and Technician is 55, but 80 points is well within the "cinematic gritty" range for GURPS. Play around with the templates a bit if you want to differentiate the characters more. Some of the traits on these templates won't be in Lite, so maybe look them up in Basic Set Characters for reference (though ignore them if they're for rules that look too complicated for you).

Ultra-Tech because you'll want plasma and laser torches and gauss nailguns for your improvised weapons. I'd highly recommend reading through the Tools and Construction Materials section (p. 80) because there's lots of stuff in there you can use for jerry-rigged defences and traps that would very likely be on a mining base.
>>
>>49902564

awesome, ill check these out
>>
>>49902414
>how much points... should i start with for a group of average space miners

One issue is how competent you expect a space miner to be. Are they just working-class people who happen to work in space or one step down from astronauts? You need a significant population living in space before medium-skill ordinary people get sent there.

>>49901628
>Just have to add random generation. And I already plotted out how to do it.

May I ask what your plan is? Because it seems like a tricky proposition.

>Better training in a skill means a bigger dice, but that doesn't actually ensure more frequent success.

Well, it does, just not by much. Basically, a D4 in savage worlds is roughly equal to Skill 11 in GURPS (about two thirds chance of success) and a D12 is equal to skill 14 (about 90% chance of success). A raise is about equal to a -4 skill penalty. The best fighters seem able to face a couple of dozen 'mook' opponents.

This is fine if you only want to distinguish between fairly ordinary characters like the protagonists of many modern adventure stories but it falls short when it comes to truly competent people like you find in some early pulp fiction, kung-fu drama, etc.

Compared to GURPS where it's quite possible to be so good that you have a 99% chance of succeeding even under difficult circumstances even with modest point totals and it's quite a come-down.

On the other hand, try running a scene with a few dozen NPCs rolling their skills in GURPS and you will soon be in trouble. SW handles brawls really well.
>>
File: 1456669666407.jpg (285KB, 1916x1076px) Image search: [Google]
1456669666407.jpg
285KB, 1916x1076px
Grimwyrd today!
Unemployment has not been good to my mental state; much more ruminating on the stats and maps and plot and etc. Kind of a long spiral of game prep.
Luckily Civ6 cut into the prep a bit, gave me some perspective.
>>
How does shoulder armour work in GURPS? Is a shoulder part of the torso or the arm? How would you distinguish between pauldrons and spaulders in terms of coverage?
>>
>>49904657
I'd say arm and use the d6 local hit location check martial arts/low tech. They have superfine hit locations and armor minutia
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-22-10-35-58.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-22-10-35-58.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>49904657
Low tech 102
>>
>>49904657
Shoulders are part of the torso. Any other interpretation makes vests obnoxious. Pauldrons and spaulders are shoulder protection and probably give 1 in 6 chest coverage (but I didn't check). Lames may be attached to provide some coverage down the arms.
>>
>>49904912
They really make more sense as part of arm armor, but in truth it's always going to be a distinct armor area that isn't attached to the chest or arm armor, unless you are using something flexible
>>
Is the 40k GURPS conversion any good?
>>
>>49908043

It's not bad - it doesn't quite jive with my interpretations for damage, DR and how swole Spess Mahreens are, but then 40k is famous for its inconsistency.

It gathers the right trappings, and that makes it pretty easy to tweak to your desires.
>>
File: 1370288160182.jpg (182KB, 552x741px) Image search: [Google]
1370288160182.jpg
182KB, 552x741px
>>49908333
40k is a weird setting. A man can drive a greatsword though power armor.
>>
>>49907836
And I'd say that pic you posted doesn't have pauldrons at all. The bit over the arms there are rerebraces.

My image of the arm is the bit that would fall off if you swing an axe upward from waist through armpit. Anything between that cut and the neck is a shoulder. In other words, you couldn't really hit the should by swinging (perfectly) horizontally (if we pretend for a moment that the trapezius is flat just for the sake of trying to impart an image through text).

I could see where one could call the upper bit of the humerus as part of the shoulder but that doesn't match my default mental image. I'm also pretty sure that's not what GURPS calls the shoulder either.
>>
>>49908605
A great sword jazzed up with superpowers. Literally a "power" weapon. So likely armor divisors if not enhanced damage.

But yeah, the game is like chugging red bull and listening to power metal while fucking a goth chick. A little too extreme 90's and a ton of nostalgia goggles
>>
File: 1410892826476.jpg (241KB, 1600x1572px) Image search: [Google]
1410892826476.jpg
241KB, 1600x1572px
>>49904530
great session from the crew today

ABSOLUTE MURDER

They ambushed the Derugar, and just laid waste. Gray went in shield bashing then choppin. Rod the DeulWizard blasted the crowd with fire. Sudri dropped covering fire with his musket, and Syviis put down a tanky armored guy that could have flanked.

Tho Gray did take a solid 10 damage hit straight to the torso, he has regen, so fuckit. All told, the most damage coming from the enemy was when magic fire damage triggered explosions from the magic dust on the bad guys.
>[rolled random hit locations twice for shrapnel, both hit the 11's ]

In the aftermath, post combat shakes knocked out Rod, and the party mopped up the rest. A tortured soul got put down to reduce its misery. An alchemist bound to a mindflayer was freed and interrogated. And Rod may (or may not) be talking to his sword.

Good times; two thumbs up!
>>
>>49909481
Groin DR 6. Shrapnel damage 5.

Chain just paid for itself
>>
Are there any combat cards for 4e that provide easy references for some of the advanced combat maneuvers like grapples, pins, shoves, slams, etc. kinda like these
http://www.sjgames.com/gameaids/gurps/Combat_Cards_Color.pdf
>>
>>49909799
Not officially. I've seen a few homespun attempts that are more or less complete and have my own half-assed incomplete attempt but that's about as far as it goes.
>>
File: Sudri Portrait.png (143KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Sudri Portrait.png
143KB, 500x750px
>>49909557
Groin DR is always appreciated and always gets used
>>
File: 1452330508806.jpg (268KB, 1920x864px) Image search: [Google]
1452330508806.jpg
268KB, 1920x864px
>>49865035
Neat. How exactly did you build the statblocks for those? May want to try that in an upcoming Not!Revelation Space campaign
>>
How can I best GM the Megman ZX setting with GURPS?
>>
Can we talk about the world consequences for RPM being something anybody can learn in a setting where magic is a well known and accepted thing?

A few days ago the subject was touched on, it was mentioned that one drawback of doing really big rituals by drawing energy from a bunch of people would be the 1 in 50 or so chance of critically failing, but you can just make a magic item which grants luck and that's nearly a non-issue.

What sort of world would this be?
>>
>>49912307
What's the setting like? You'll probably want Ultra-Tech, either way. It has mechanical lenses for different forms of AI, which I assume any Megaman would have.

>>49913133
RPM15, box, last sentence:
>3. Spells cannot make anyone better at using magic. A ritual can
>never give a bonus to spellcasting, bestow Magery or Ritual Adept,
>etc. (It could add Magic Resistance or drain Magery, however.)
>Unlike normal Luck, Luck granted via ritual cannot be used for spell-
>casting.

A world where anybody can learn magic and magic is known would be very different from ours, enough so that you can justify whatever you'd like from the setting. For starters, near-instant communication is insane, and the ability to quickly traverse space is even more insane. Look at how much we spend on communications and transportation in the real world, and realize that these people can just do it. It doesn't even take that much energy.
>>
>>49913133
>anybody can learn
Well, it depends on how much people actually will learn. People in general are stupid, and Thaumatology is math-tier complex, so I imagine while there will be whole magi-tech industry, most people will only use it for free food and entertainment.
But, if we have nation of smarty-pants, it will be basically utopia, I guess. And possibly complete destruction and barbarism outside. I'd call it magipunk
>>
>>49913192
Actual last sentence of that same box.
>This restriction only applies to spells; permanent magic, such as that found in places of power (pp. 32-33) and enchanted items (pp. 33-35), can make a caster better at using magic!

An amulet of aspected luck or something is a cheap way to avoid botched spells.
>>
>>49913327
That really depends on how easy is to produce enchanted items.
By RPM rules it's 25 days (+skill roll) per 1 point worth of enchanting. Amulet with Luck (Active, -40%; Aspected, Magic Only, -20%; Watever item limitation, -20% or more) [3] will require 3 skill rolls and 2.5 months to produce (3 month with free weekends).
Typical monthly pay in TL3 is $700, so it's $1750 per luck amulet. $6500 in TL8. At the very least! I think mage's wage would be at least twice the average.
>>
>>49913644
Also remember that out of game time to in game time transforms once per hour into once per week, IIRC. That means bigger ticket rituals only happen four times a month per amulet.
>>
>>49913644
It's cheap compared to the price of a very big spell being botched. Besides, the most important buyers of these things will be court wizards casting spells that affect entire kingdoms, it's pocket change to the wealthy king that's bankrolling them. Also, an unprotected amulet is -50% just for being an enchanted amulet. And I really wouldn't put active on one of these.

>>49913696
One hour out of game is a day in game. Don't put active on it and the luck is only used when you would otherwise botch anyway, so only 1 in 50 castings will actually delay the next one and then they're only delayed to the next day.
>>
>>49913696
And the creation of the amulets is still subject to the failure rate. Making amulets just moves the failure to a different ritual. >>49913644 didn't account for failure recovery in the price; the amulets should really be much more expensive.

There was a similar discussion about standard magic on the forums a few years ago. It ultimately boiled down to one super severe critical failure a month or thereabouts (that was a big damned demon rampaging about) in each modestly sized town or small city IIRC.
>>
>>49913845
Failing on the amulet creation isn't nearly as bad as botching a spell that's worth a few hundred energy. And just three rolls will make an amulet, on which can be used for an arbitrarily large number of rituals afterward. Sure it's "moving the failure to a different ritual" but there's still a lot of value in doing it that way and it nearly erases any chance of botching any very important rituals. If you have the money to spend on an amulet of Reality Altering Super Luck and no big rituals are cast without such an amulet available then that's 0% chance of those big ones going awry. Sure, it's a very expensive item, even with big limitations, but it'll still give you a 100% chance of success.

Smaller spells critically failing is problematci, but not nearly as big a deal, especially with the comprehensive layer upon layer of spells that any civilized country is likely to have layed over it to make every part of life easier.
>>
>>49885654
I would probably just treat that as a Wild Talent. Otherwise PCs could just learn skill weirdly in the middle of a session.
>>
>>49913845
What thread? Link?
>>
File: 1362633001444.jpg (170KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
1362633001444.jpg
170KB, 800x522px
>>49913133
>Nearly a non-issue

Uh.. Botching a big RPM ritual isn't "oops, spilled the milk!"

It's "and that's how we created the Darkspawn. Sorry"

They'd have a reputation, justified or not, of doing terrible fucking things and fucking up the world forever. You'd need a honest to god determined cult to get people together to cast one, even if you promise you've got your lucky rabbit with you.
>>
>>49865689
GURPS means for sure high lethality
>get shot by a 9mm
>die
>get stabbed with a knife
>die
>get poked by almost anything
>die
>get cut
>die
>>
>>49914909
Not necessary. Your first death check is at -1xHP, so if you only got shot/was stabbed once and not in vitals, you still can survive. If you don't die from bleeding of course.
>>
>>49914909
>get shot by a 9mm/stabbed/cut
>9 damage (average 9mm bullet, stab with a knife from a 10 ST man, cut with a sword by a 10 ST man), which leaves you at 1HP, capable of running away
>One minute later, you make an HT roll at -1 for bleeding, with a good chance of taking 1HP in damage from blood loss, at which point you make another HT roll to stay conscious. Failure means you're passed out and bleeding to death.
>Keep rolling bleeding checks (Assuming you fail 2 in 3 with no critical failures, this takes about 14 minutes) until you are given first aid or reach -1xHP. At -1xHP, roll HT. Success means you last another ten or so minutes bleeding out. Failure by 1 or 2 means you're in dire straits and need to roll HT every half hour or die

Completely survivable. You're likely to get medical help from, you know, your teammates, or EMTs? Maybe you roll a critical success on an HT roll for bleeding? Maybe you have an auto-injector with ascepaline? Healing magic?
>>
>>49915028
>which leaves you at 1HP, capable of running away
your move will be halved, you can't actually 'run' away

>Completely survivable
i didin't said it wasn't suvivable, i said it was lethal, you go down really easily unless claded in military grade gear at any TL. Getting to less than 1/3 HP halves your move and getting to 0 or less forces you to take HT every second or 'do nothing' while stumbling around at move 1 max
>>
>>49915101
>Movement halved
It's still running even if you only have Move 2. Walking is 1 yard/second, roughly, and paced running is half sprinting, and spring is 20% faster than your Move.

>i didin't said it wasn't suvivable, i said it was lethal
>Lethal, adjective: sufficient to cause death.
?

>You go down really easily
Yes. This is why you don't get into fights. Getting into fights in GURPS, much like real life, is exceptionally stupid without proper setting switches flipped.

>military grade gear at any TL
Flak and fragmentation vests are LC4. Concealable vests are LC3. For reference, LC4 is unrestricted, LC3 requires a license, LC2 is LEO, LC1 is military, and LC0 is banned, like chemical weapons. That said, in the US, a concealable vest is LC4. At lower TLs, PCs typically have the wealth/status required to purchase and own arms and armor. Just DR3 in my example would keep you over HP/3, which means you can concede the fight, or try to run, or whatever.

Now, if you wanted to, say, change fights in GURPS to be something you can bounce back from like D&D, there are many ways you can do it. Simple ones are include healing magic or the Healing advantage, allow the Flesh Wounds rule, give people DR vs. guns as long as they only fight with their fists, etc. It's not difficult to use different GURPS rules to fit the game you want to run.
>>
>>49915211
>Getting into fights in GURPS is exceptionally stupid.

True, but you don't need to go flipping settings.
>>
>>49915240
Miswrote on my part. Proper armor and weapons, good skill, the Luck advantage, and superior numbers all make GURPS fights much easier. The setting switches are just to make fights cinematic and make the heroes more survivable, especially Flesh Wounds. Something else that's good to mention is the Cannon Fodder cinematic rule and the "And Stay Down!" rules from Dungeon Fantasy.
>>
>>49915263
I see what you mean. Whenever my NPCs attack, I roll for hit location because sometimes it can prevent those "hit to the torso insta-death" scenarios.
>>
>>49915211
>sufficient to cause death.
but it is sufficient to cause death anon, you can survive it but it is sufficiente to cause death also language problems

>about everything else
i never said it was a bad thing nor that it was unchangable, GURPS is about making it into what you wanna run, thats on the base of concepts.
>>
>>49915211
I don't think anybody can call hobbling away at two miles an hour "running" away.
>>
GURPSgen, my RPM caster for an upcoming monster hunters game can have a pocket dimension as his homebase. Just what kind of shit does a fairly wealthy but not outrageously so TL8 monsterhunter have in a 6360 square foot pocket dimension? He does a lot of traveling so is unlikely to have a permanent residence for anything other then tax reasons so assume he spends a good deal of downtime inside this place.
>>
>>49915284
>Language problems
Yeah, that can happen. I understood what you meant, though. GURPS can be death spiral prone, and some settings/lines are prone to rocket tag.

>Everything else
True, but I think that making things clear helps out any newbie or inexperienced GURPS players who want to play. Also, this dungeon fantastic post http://dungeonfantastic.blogspot.com/2013/11/gurps-101-dying-is-hard-to-do.html is good.
>>
>>49915338
>caster
I'm assuming he's a sciencey/thaumtologist kinda guy?

Bookshelves, an alchemist station, more bookshelves, a bed, desk with computer, chests and shelves with souvenirs and random tools. also unmentionable sexy time stuff

I put the computer in there cause you can still download and install programs outside the dimension and use them. Photoshop, word programs, the entire Wikipedia library, etc. No idea what he'd use them for but there you go.

Oh and considering he's wealthy I'm sure he can just go to a restaurant or get take-out a lot of the time.
>>
If I were to buy an Affliction that is caused by a Follow-Up Innate Attack with no modifiers, would I spend points on just Affliction, with Follow-Up costing +0%, or would I spend points on both the Affliction and Innate Attack?
>>
As someone unfamiliar with GURPS, what supplements would I need to run a Fallout game?
>>
>>49915906
GURPS Basic Set, GURPS High Tech, part of GURPS Ultra Tech, GURPS Action might work if you're looking for a cinematic experience. There's a fanmade GURPS Fallout, too.
>>
>>49915626
You need to buy both the innate attack and affliction. The follow-up on your IA does nothing if you do not have an affliction to follow-up with.

>>49915906
Basic Set can do it alone. High-Tech if you want to gear queer, possibly Ultra-Tech if you want higher TL stuff beyond what Basic Set gives, and After the End 1 & 2 are great resources for post-apoc GURPS. I would say Basic Set + AtE 1 & 2, or >>49915977 this pdf. Action's a great line all-around.
>>
>>49915906
Basic Set, to start.

Fun fact! Fallout's first draft was going to use GURPS. The licencing deal didn't end up working out, but you can see the influence of GURPS on the first generation SPECIAL system in Fallout 1.

Now there's a lot of other books you might want to use. After The End are PDF-only supplemental books that take a lot of the work out of playing in a post-apocalyptic game.

High Tech is a 'gear' book that covers all kinds of modern weapons, armor and equipment. You can get higher tech gear from the Ultra Tech book, or from the Basic Set.

Martial Arts is a book about unarmed and armed combat, generally with low tech weapons. It expands on the stuff in the basic set and it's quite popular, not the least because it gives fun new locations to target, but it's also optional.
>>
>>49915981
Let me get this straight.

So I buy Affliction, pay the points. Apply Follow-Up, Innate Attack (with no modifiers), and pay points for whatever the Innate Attack is -- but not for Follow-Up, because it is "free" (+0%) if you don't have modifiers attached to Innate Attack.

Am I correct?
>>
>>49916140
The fuck? You put Follow-Up on attack that *follows* main attack, not the other way around.
>>
>>49912176

>upcoming Not!Revelation Space campaign

Colour me jealous, anon. I've just started reading it and I'm hooked as fuck. I just got to the part with the [spoilers]weird Conjoiner biosuits the Infinity crew use to drop from orbit onto Resurgam. Shit's straight-up TL12.[/spoiler]
>>
>>49916274

>fucked up my spoiler tags

Well I guess it's not that big a spoiler anyway
>>
>>49916194
I thought you put Follow-Up on whatever attack you want to be "carried" by another attack. Like in the case of a diseased bite, you'd have Affliction with the Follow-Up, Bite modifier.

Unless that's what you're trying to say.
>>
>>49916334
Yes.
I hate Follow-up discussions, they always cause confusion for everyone involved.
>>
>>49916347
Yeah. seems so.
>>
>>49913133

One major thing is that nations would create massive and powerful spells that cover a lot of bases - minor bonuses at least.

The main reason would be to prevent enemy nations casting their own Dominions-style global enchantments at your people. It'd also prevent some asshole just deciding to turn one percent of the stone in the city into water.

Of course, it also means that The Fallen Kingdom got too ambitious and critfailed on a superhumanity spell that warped them all into blighted Ermor.
>>
>>49914280

Another anon, but while I don't remember the thread - I did save this nasty little critter.

The Hyrnan Horror [75]:

Image: A small, surprisingly-fast, and horrible-looking creature with four eyes, legs, and arms.

Attributes: ST 11 [10]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 9 [-20]; HT 10 [0];

Secondaries: SM -2 [0]; BL 24#; Dam 1d / 2d-1; Spd 6.0 [20]; Mov 8 [10]; HP 11 [0]; FP 10 [0]; Per 9 [0]; Will 9 [0];

Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Dominance [20]; Extra Arms x2 [20]; Extra Legs (4 Total) [5]; Fearlessness x3 [6]; Immunity (Metabolic Hazards) [30], (Mind-Affecting Magic) [30]; Innate Attack (1pt Tox) (Cyclic: 1 Minute x25 +1000%, Follow-Up: Bite +0%) [11]; Magery x0 [5]; Night Vision x5 [5]; Striking ST +2 [10]; Super Jump x1 [10]; Teeth (Piercing Proboscis) [1];

Disadvantages: Appearance (Monstrous) [-20]; Bloodlust (12-) [-10]; Callous [-5]; Fragile (Unnatural) [-50]; Ham-Fisted x1 [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) (Prevents Direct Harm to Truly Good & Holy Only -50%) [-5]; Sadism (12-) [-15]; Selfish (12-) [-5]; Social Stigma (Monster) [-15];

Skills: Brawling (E) DX+2 [4]-12; Hidden Lore (A) (Demon Lore) IQ-1 [1]-8; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-11; Wrestling (A) DX+2 [8]-12;

Features: Affected by True Faith and Pentagram [0];
>>
>>49917367

Notes: A minor demon inadvertently unleashed from Hell by the Human Wizard / Farmer William Chandler (may God have mercy on his soul), on May 23rd A.D. 2013 in the village of Sable Leaf, near Hyrnan. Chandler, its first victim, rapidly sickened and died after being stung by the fiend, which scurried off in broad daylight to seek other prey before the village militia could be raised. His body soon hatched a near-identical creature while being prepared for burial, which did the same to the undertaker and his apprentice, leading to the metamorphosis of five more people before the villagers caught on and started burning the bodies immediately and with cursory ceremony over the objections of the local Priests. No mundane remedy may halt the progress of the creatures' venom, nor stave off the fell transformation; only strong magic wielded by the pure of heart, preferably clergy, or total destruction of the physical vessel, is proof against their perfidy. Many Priests claim that the Horror is a punishment sent down by God upon the flock for taking magic for granted, using it to grow fat off rich harvests instead of saving it for times of famine and earning their meals with only the sweat of their brows in good times as was intended, resulting in a minor local popular backlash against the use of magic in agriculture and all other crafts and industries, as well as the widespread harassment, unemployment, and emigration of local mages. Though Sable Leaf has been razed to the ground by the angry peasant mob, and a Fist of Michael has been summoned to investigate, the demonic plague spreads: the creatures have been sighted in neighboring villages, and panicked rumors claim they now lurk in the back alleys of Hyrnan itself...
>>
>>49892982
>Thats one thing I noticed, the modules are awesome to read not just to apply it to GURPS, the basic ideas from some books ,ex. Zombies, is amazing to get inspired for oneshots, campaigns,etc... even if its for another system.

There's a reason why it has the nickname of Generally Useful Role Play Supplements.

One thing about GURPS is that it's easier to convert things to and from GURPS, be it other games or from the real world. You need the Basic Set and a bit of time and even a newbie could kitbash something more than passable.

Meanwhile trying to port VtM to D&D and, while I don't doubt it's doable, you need you be an expert at D&D
Thread posts: 254
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.