[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steam weapons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 16

File: 6dbd255f48e1f02c201227e27d100c11.jpg (350KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
6dbd255f48e1f02c201227e27d100c11.jpg
350KB, 848x1200px
Has anyone run any steampunky campaigns? I'm looking into ideas for portable steam weapons? Plausibility and possible ways to use said weapons. Perhaps larger weapons as well.

I've thought of a number of different ways to weaponize steam. Since none are used in real life, regular gunpowder is probably better. But that's why fiction instead of reality.

From the water tanks that get heated to bullets with water replacing the gunpowder that get a charge of electricity to flash boil the interior. Mythbusters did a thing on a larger weapon that used steam to spin a centrifuge that launched projectiles. It was actually fairly plausible, though not lethal.

Perhaps two canisters filled with chemicals that react explosively together to fire a projectile. It wouldn't be steam, but it would be along the same line of thought.

Any ideas?
>>
>>49864403
A sword where pipes run along the length of the blade and the superheated water runs through it. This doubles by cooling the water, and heating the blade, providing an extra... edge to it. Then there's a small trigger on the hilt that vents some of the heated water out the pommel for a scarring weapon, or steam cover.
>>
>>49864403
Kabenari of the Iron Fortress might be good inspiration for you.
>>
File: image.jpg (206KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
206KB, 900x900px
>>49864403
> Water conducts electricity
> use steam explosion to quickly fog up an area
> zap it with electricity
I know this is probably retarded but its all I got
Also
> something something poisonous/toxic chemicles in steam to harm opponents
>>
>>49864440

But then if that breaks you have near-boiling water splashing all over you.
>>
>>49864493
>Steam weapons are impractical and just about as dangerous to the user as the opponent
>News at 11

I figured OP was going for fantasy rule-of-cool tier anime bullshit over realism.
>>
File: nopowdernoproblem.jpg (92KB, 1398x806px) Image search: [Google]
nopowdernoproblem.jpg
92KB, 1398x806px
>>49864403
The Girandoni air rifle was a thing, it was actually a pretty good weapon for the time. Just using a steam engine to fill the pressure resivor would make it more practical than the hand pump it used. Though you would still want to use an air compressor, as steam would lose pressure as it cooled and you don't want to carry something that hot anyway.
>>
Air rifles.
>>
As far as providing useful pressures at a low weight, gunpowder still reigns. The big innovation at "steampunk" levels of technology would be smokeless powder, spitzer bullets and repeating rifles designed to use those innovations. Early machine guns also. For a "steampunk" weapon, look at the Hotchkiss machine gun or an M1895 Mannlicher.
>>
>>49864403
You do your steampunk properly and use Victorian era small arms.
>>
File: image.jpg (119KB, 681x1174px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119KB, 681x1174px
>>49864403
DUDE
Pile-bunkers

Pictured: Not a pile-bunker
>>
>>49864403
Came here to post >>49864662

Steam could easily power an air compressor for such a device, and with enough development one could probably make quite a few nice variations on it.
>>
Watch the movie Steamboy
>>
>>49864493

Without risk, there would be no reward. 19th century punks wouldn't be the most educated bunch anyway, so it's not implausible they would be ignorant to the fact that their methods are impractical and inefficient.
>>
>>49864760

If they're punks how can they afford such a ridiculously impractical and presumably expensive weapon?
>>
File: 1476786521207.gif (316KB, 241x200px) Image search: [Google]
1476786521207.gif
316KB, 241x200px
>>49864785
Improvised weapons
They make it themselves
It's not actually expensive

I don't gotta explain this it's fucking fantasy ya shit.
>>
>>49864491
>Water conducts electricity
Not really, various things that are water soluble are though, and can cause water to become far more conductible. Seriously though a cloud of steam is already a pretty dangerous thing, for a few seconds.
>>
File: IMG_0816.gif (1MB, 268x353px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0816.gif
1MB, 268x353px
Power fists or exo suits.
Grappling guns
Piston driver
>>
>>49864403
I once had my players go down to a planet that was "stuck" in steam-era tech with some pieces of hightech stuff preserved from the golden age of humanity.

The planet was in the midst of a war that had divided the main continent into two camps with serious trench warfare going on. The main weapon for trench-sweeper squads was a weapon that looked similar to a WW1 german flamethrower but used extremely powerful battery packs (essentially 20-ish lasgun powerpacks bolted into a single unit) to super-flashboil water and spew it out as a tongue of high-pressure steam at near-plasma levels of heat. It only held enough water and charge for ten shorts sprays or if opened up completely one five second long searing burst that would set things near the burst on fire from residual heat alone.

only the most fearless (or foolhardy) fighters would be chosen for "sprayer" duty, as boldness and a willingness to close with the enemy while under heavy fire was needed for the weapon to be effective
>>
>>49865017
>my Rogue Trader players
I blame lack of sleep
>>
>steam punk setting
>everything is steam powered

Do guns not exist because steam is magic in your setting
>>
>>49865072
Guns don't exist in my setting because nobody learned to mix saltpeter, sulfur, and charcoal to make gunpowder.
>>
>>49864403
The Dragonmech setting books have a number of steam powered weapons.
There's guns that run off steam pressure, devices that spray scalding steam over one's enemies, and a chainsaw that runs on steam rather than fuel and a lobster claw that crushes things using steam powered hydraulics.
In another book, there are also weapons that range from a spear that uses steam sprayed out the back to increase it's force, a great big hammer using the same principle, a staff that uses steam pressure to extend itself suddenly, a steam-powered minigun, and a frost laser.
That last one is actually clockwork powered, with alchemical ammo, though.
>>
File: steam lance.gif (623KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
steam lance.gif
623KB, 560x420px
>>49864403
In brawlhalla, the steampunk girl gets some kinda rocket lance. Although I dunno if they ever really explain how it works, or if it even uses steam.
>>
File: dynamitegun.jpg (20KB, 400x204px) Image search: [Google]
dynamitegun.jpg
20KB, 400x204px
>>49864403
I start up from the real ones.

Google "dynamite gun" anon.
>>
>>49864807

>I don't gotta explain this it's fucking fantasy ya shit.

I never liked this argument.

Genre fiction isn't about throwing in whatever you want and saying "deal with it cause it ain't real".
>>
File: image.jpg (130KB, 753x737px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 753x737px
>>49865673
I agree, only 'cause any given steampunk setting is inches away from slapping gears and dials on everything and going
> I don't gotta explain shit, it's AESTHETIC
>>
>>49865827

I'm not opposed to steampunk, but I'd like it if more people who wrote it were actually intelligent and came up for logical uses for enhanced steamcog technology.

It doesn't' have to be "realistic" but no one would ever used a water-cooled gyro sword when a regular sword is cheaper, more practical, and safer.

Like giant steampowered airships or AT-AT style walkers I can deal with because that's a logical application of this technology even if it's not at all plausible.
>>
>>49864707
started the show as soon as you said it

Watched it a long time ago, but maaan, that show gives me the biggest boner for gears and steam and pipes and valves and boilers and everything.
>>
File: image.jpg (165KB, 1280x967px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165KB, 1280x967px
>>49865923
I am all for impractical shit as long as its explained. Like with a steam/chain/fire sword...
> The hyper rich buy them as a vanity item
> Military members wear it as a symbol of rank
> Was meant for a totally different use before being applied as a weapon
> some sort of monster has a specific weakness to it
> Mad Scientist isn't about to use normal swords like a pleb
> gives +2 to intimidation because holy fuck that sword is on fire are you seeing this?
>>
File: steamsword.gif (2MB, 540x303px) Image search: [Google]
steamsword.gif
2MB, 540x303px
>face the wrath of my steamsword!
>what does the steam do?
>it doesnt do anything, it just looks cool, thats the point of steampunk!
>>
>>49864403

So's youse got ta tinkz proper orky, but widda cogfop bent, so 'ow's about:

>Railway-Whip
Simple chain whip made of train tracks that youse can run little steam trains full of explosives, various other dakka at anyone youse get wrapped up in da tracks

>Steam-Musket
High presssure steam cannister somewhere on dah shootah, feeds into and burst dah dakka out the business end along wit a burst of steam at anyone roit in front of the shootah.

>Steam-Wellingtons
Some roit crumpy iron boots wiv steam jacks on the bottom to launch you inta tha air and den to crump anyone youse land on. Also gud for regular kicky crumping

>Heavy Light-Brigade Launcher
Flings 'orses at any zogs youse wanna crump, using STEAM anna BOOM BOOM BOOM to the left and to the right!

>Watt-er Jet
Youse take duh basic pump Watt designed for moving wortah outta mines, you add MORE STEAM, bob's your uncle and youse gotchaself a wortah jet cannon capable of stripping meat off a squig.

>Crop Rotater
Eh, Itz really just a load of scythes on a whirlimagig, but it's right choppy about it!

>Steam Enclosure
Okay ain't gonna lie, itz a fence post with a little steam jet on it for slight crumping magnification.
>>
File: 1454611892452.jpg (67KB, 539x904px) Image search: [Google]
1454611892452.jpg
67KB, 539x904px
>>49864681
>>49865006
I had an idea for a steam-powered suit of power armor. It would have a boiler on the back, and pneumatic pistons in the arms and legs so that if you needed an extra boost the a punch or a jump, you release some steam into the pistons to launch the limb.

If that makes sense.
I've got a couple other pics that evoke the right idea. I'll post them in a sec.
>>
File: 1453884481977.jpg (88KB, 524x864px) Image search: [Google]
1453884481977.jpg
88KB, 524x864px
>>49867217
>>
File: 1453701687429.jpg (1MB, 776x961px) Image search: [Google]
1453701687429.jpg
1MB, 776x961px
>>49867239
>>
>>49865592
Oh, and depending on how broadly you define "weapon" the actual steam powered mechs might count, and depending on how loosely you use the term "steam powered" the clockwork mechs might also count. And maybe the manpowered mechs if it's got steamborgs running the thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (221KB, 1890x1417px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221KB, 1890x1417px
>>49864403
> Players get use steampunk swords, cannons and giant hammers
> giant mechs run on a seemingly infinite amounts of steam
> shoes with a ton of gears and shit on them can actually fly...somehow
> None of this shit works
> the players can distort reality and their equipment is built only to LOOK like it works
>>
>>49868609
WAAAAAAAGH!!
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.