[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bolt action is better than 40k

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 20

Hey 40k players give me one good reason why you havn't moved over to the superior game of Bolt Action yet?
>>
>>49863275
I like my Nazis with laser guns.
>>
>>49863327
FRBR
>>
>>49863275
It doesn't have Roboskeletons with zappy guns.
>>
>>49863275
Because 40k models don't work in WW2 and Battlegroup is better and more fun.
>>
Has anybody noticed the internet has a lot of especially stupid people who don't understand that fluff and models are important?
>>
>>49863275
Because I like knights in space.
>>
Doesn't look like it does grimderp scifi rpg at all. OP, why haven't you moved over to the obvious choice of kys?
>>
>>49863275

Because rivet counting shitters ruin it like every other historical game.
>>
>>49863437
I bet you mix your armour marks.
>>
>>49863437
>shitters

That's pretty god damn stupid, if you don't care about history why even play a historical game?

That is like shitting on anybody who plays 40k and actually makes a fluff fitting army with all the appropriate conversions and markings. Those armies are far better than the generic, often unpainted ones made by people who don't give a crap.
>>
>>49863275
I already sold my soul to afford my Imperial Guard... Please save me.
>>
>>49863275
>Hey 40k players give me one good reason why you havn't moved over to the superior game of X

Because this line worked so well for Warmachine and we needed another round of it. Right.
>>
File: 84536.jpg (594KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
84536.jpg
594KB, 1280x800px
>>49863466
They mix marks all the time in the fluff.

Especially parts from Mk VI/VII.
>>
File: wew garçon.jpg (144KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wew garçon.jpg
144KB, 800x1200px
I was gonna start with 40k, but I them realized how bullshit the whole thing is. I then converted to historicals, and I've been spending loadsa money on rulebooks and minis.
>>
File: armour-mixing.jpg (152KB, 400x471px) Image search: [Google]
armour-mixing.jpg
152KB, 400x471px
>>49863524
>not fielding pure armour marks
>>
>>49863560
Just like everyone I know who collects historicals. They got rulebooks, terrain and armies worth of miniatures, and barely anyone to play with.

Since 20mm WW2 is pretty popular here, I thought I'd chime in with a small British force (so I can field what I want and don't have to use other people's minis all the time). Then I got a little more. Always liked StuGs, so a little Germans. Ooh, that's a nice thing, gotta get those. Well, I already got all these Allied tanks and vehicles, might as well get some Yanks. Oh, what's this, a small skirmish samurai game? And 28mm plastic miniatures are quite cheap. Man, these 6mm moderns are cheap and I can use the terrain for them in Battletech...

HELP!
>>
>>49863524
Wouldn't having unique-looking armor make it easier for marines to visually identify each other? Especially since marines seem to never take their armor off.

It could function like heraldry in that way, when you couldn't always identify a knight by face because he might have his visor down and you might not know his face, but you could still recognize his heraldry and know him that way.
>>
>>49863689
>and barely anyone to play with
Define "barely". In my area we have a group of 10-15 guys, which might not seem like a whole lot compared to some 40k groups, but it's a good number.
>>
>>49863805
I know plenty of people who play historicals in my area. It's organizing a game that's the problem.
>>
>>49863999
I've found it's easier to herd cas than wargamers
>>
>>49863275
A few thousand bucks worth of guys. Some even painted.
>>
Every fucking game is better than 40k. It's just a combination of a familiar and attractive setting, and brand recognition. If being a decent game was all that mattered, no-one would touch 40k with a barge pole.
By that matter, if everyone just wanted a good game they probably wouldn't settle on Bolt Action, which I've heard has some unresolved issues of it's own.
>>
>>49864619
>Every fucking game is better than 40k.

I've played some pretty terrible games in my time, so I recent this accusation for its inaccuracy. Try playing some 80's wargames with charts up the wazoo. Always fun to see people playing some old wargame and browsing through the rulebook every other move to find some chart to roll on.

Battlegroup plays a lot like GW games since it's based on GW's Kampfgruppe Normandy, and the game is awesome. The basic concept of 40k is not bad, the execution is lacking and the corporate policies are terrible.
>>
>>49863275
If FFG makes an RPG version I'll get right on that, to be honest.
>>
>>49863275
Needs more orks
>>
>>49863482

I love the retarded binary logic you've implemented.

There's no place in your befuddled head for people who just like WW2 as a setting or think Vikings are cool and would like to play a game without some bellend walking over and telling them that "Akshully that's the wrong kind of grey for late war germans."

Even worse you're suggesting that such socially inept wastes of oxygen are higher order of gamer.
>>
>>49865167
You say that. Meanwhile the other person is talking about stuff like an army of Moon Nazis and steampunk tanks rolling across Poland in 1939. Those people aren't much higher on the totem.
>>
>>49863275

Does Bolt Action have an army of religious cybernetically enhanced soldiers?
>>
However you feel about Bolt Action, 40k, Infinity, Warmahordes, Black Powder or whatever, I think we can agree that it's all better than Age of Sigmar.
>>
>>49863275

False Ditchotomy. I'll play both.
>>
>>49865306
But at least they're not shitting on people for wrong colours and other bullshit. Because no-one likes the button-counters, same as rules-lawyers and people who think that it is acceptable to bring hardcore tournament lists to casual games, especially against new players.

Shitters are everywhere in wargaming.
>>
>>49863275
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Your_Dudes
One of my biggest problem with historical is the amount of leverage one has for that.
I mean there is room to but not as much as there would be with 40k.
I can make up my own chapter/guard army/ etc in fact we have quite a number of tables and the codex becomes more of a guideline for how they interact with the table top than anything else.
Of course doing this in historical doesn't work. There are clear army designs, there is not a lot of explanation as to why say your zombie hookers with machines guns and pickelhaubes are there and people will be far less accepting of that then in the bullshit universe of 40k.
No don't get me wrong, i like me some historicals, i want to go pick me up some hasetati if i could find some good sculpts out there.
which brings me to my next issue, lods off bad sculpts, gw is bad enough for faces and shit and FoW's infantry i dislike a lot. Bolt action is the same for me.

>>49865469
Diff anon, conversions are great, as much as i like some accuracy with my autism a good conversion is better.

Oh and there's no model for Dietrich von Saucken to my knowledge
>>
>>49865469
No, they're shitting on people who wanted to play a game of ol' Tommies vs. Nazis and instead get to take part in your fanfic session about Aryan lizard people riding their golden dinosaurs. But don't you dare rain on their parade, else you're a tryhard meanie who hates fun.
>>
I bought a German army to play bolt action to switch from 40k...

And can't fucking play with anyone. They're all old fudds who play once a month all over a single state so they can get a game in. No LGS has a weekly thing to just drop into. Now I'm out $50 on something I can't play. LOTR all over again....
>>
File: Deathkorps69.jpg (74KB, 805x514px) Image search: [Google]
Deathkorps69.jpg
74KB, 805x514px
>>49863327
pretty much this
>>
>>49864744
I would eat that shit right up. But I swear to god if it's like the star wars with all the "muh heroes and gudd gays" I'll tear their asshole wide open and spit in it. I'm tired of all the "good guy" shit rpgs. Black crusade is the only example I can find. And don't give me that "here's some rules for playing an edgy vampire" kind of bad guy either.

FFG- Give me rules for Stormtroopers and WW2 Germans you pansie shits!
>>
>>49863275

This goes without saying. Real history is ALWAYS better than speculative fiction, simply because it's immune to Matt Ward-isms and author favoritism. The things that happened, happened, and no amount of fan bitching or authorial fiat can change that.

The fluff is outright, objectively better (again, because it actually happened and wasn't made up by the guy who's job it is was to sell X units of Army Of The Month), and the rules are basically the same as 40K anyway. At WORST, the comparison is a push between the systems. More likely Bolt Action wins out.

Oh, and the minis are much, much cheaper too. And you don't need as many. And they're better-sculpted. And you can use outright model companies (Tamiya) instead of the bullshit "tanks" that GW pushes on you.

Bolt Action may not be the "best" game. But there's not even a question that it's better that 40K.

>>49865450

This is also an acceptable answer, if you've drunk sufficient GW koolaid.
>>
>>49863275
fellow bolt action/40k player here.

You would have better luck luring them in with Konflict 47's Lazer tanks and Siberian death bears OP. Plus the Nazis get super vampires and werewolves while the Americans get mecs who exist to punch shit and fire more 50 Cal's at the enemy than a AAA platoon.
>>
>Bolt action is better than 40k

You're trying to say which is better the orange or apples. At least try and equate the same size games.
>>
>>49868295
>Bolt action is better than 40k

How is this even a question? Obviously it's better. It doesn't have GW involved in it for one. It doesn't have fucktarded Army Of The Month fluff in it either. Real history is always - ALWAYS - better than made-up shit about killer robots and sentient fungus for anyone who isn't a gutless child in need of escapism from the real world.

And if you are that child, grow the fuck up and leave behind your childish things. 40K is for 12 year olds at best. If you're old enough to post here without a parent helping you with the captcha, you're old enough to deal with the world as it is.
>>
>>49868712

Angry ranting about "reality" is not how you get people interested in your make-believe hobby, you basement dwelling autist.
>>
>>49868753

I like the way you don't actually refute any of the points anon raised, just the tone of the argument.

That's a pretty sure bet that you *can't* defend the points, or else you would have. And this is 4chan; ranting and hostile tone is par for the course.
>>
Bolt Action is just 40k with a different skin
>>
>>49869117

And without retarded fluff suitable for immature 8 year olds. That means a lot.
>>
>>49868114
I must confess, you have piqued my interest.
>>
>>49868712
Found the rivet counting shitter that ruins games like Bolt Action.

>>49869125
> Thinking real world politics isn't somehow more fucking retarded than anything 40k can try to come up with.

Next you're going to try and tell me people don't STILL use melee weapons IRL.
>>
>>49868811

K.
>>
>>49869125
>without retarded fluff
Dude have you seen those Nazi guys? What where they smoking when they wrote that stuff!
>>
>>49869156
>Next you're going to try and tell me people don't STILL use melee weapons IRL.

A couple of bayonet charges per conflict and barely-intelligent pseudo-apes in Somalia hacking at each other with machetes doesn't really compare to deliberately ignoring your guns so you can run forward and hit each other in the middle of the board.

So no, as a general rule, modern people don't use melee weapons in combat. They're certainly not the preferred choice by anybody with three brain cells to rub together. Which might explain why you and your ilk enjoy 40K so much, come to think of it.
>>
>>49868811
>this is 4chan; ranting and hostile tone is par for the course.
Cancer incarnate.
No, you mongrel, it's simply that on 4chan, you have the OPTION of being a loudmouth cunt without being kicked off the site.
That doesn't mean you are obligated to be a cunt, or protected from being called out when you are.
As for your argument, it is Opinion: the Post, and why exactly should someone argue with a cunt's personal opinion.
>>
>>49869164

Hitler was totally a mary sue, tho. Never could have happened in real life.

The stuff about the Emperor uniting mankind under a single banner without superstition or religion is way, way more realistic.
>>
>>49869171
>Comparing feudal space fantasy to real life
Next you'll argue that Gundam is bad because mechs can't exist irl with modern science.
>>
>>49869181

You still haven't refuted the points.

I know the debate tonight was tough on you Donald, but you can actually address the other person's argument besides just repeating "you're wrong" the whole time. It's OK; we'll only judge you as harshly as your actual counterpoints deserve.
>>
>>49869201

Man, I hate the fuck out of you for what you're saying, but that was a good comeback.
>>
File: 1475505790065.png (7KB, 191x234px) Image search: [Google]
1475505790065.png
7KB, 191x234px
>>49869201
>You still haven't refuted the points.
Because they were opinions.
Enjoyment of any creative medium is not objective, and why is anyone with sense going to argue that it is?
If you insist on doing so, that only shows how much of an idiot/determined troll you are. Seeing as you inevitably will, this is the last (you) that you will get from me.
Have a good day, and enjoy whatever games capture your interest.
>>
>>49869197

As an aside, they can't exist even with future science. A sheet of armor 10' wide x 8' tall by 1' thick can cover the chest of a Gundam, and give 1' thickness of protection. The identical sheet of armor can form the glacis plate of a tank and give ~1.5-2' of protection depending on the angle of the armor. But the protection will ALWAYS be superior on the tank, and therefore the optimal choice of war machine will ALWAYS be the tank.

So yes, anything with mecha is bad. It doesn't pass even the slightest bit of intellectual rigor.
>>
>>49869310
>they can't exist even with future science
They exist via the science and circumstances of the setting they are from.
You are doing exactly what I mentioned, using real life science as the basis of judgment for a fantastical setting.
Do you apply the same to the Ender series?
>>
>>49868811
You didn't make any points - you just said "historical is better because I say it is"
>>
>>49869332

Even with future science, how does a slab of SUPER-FUTURE-METAL not obey those same rules? When it's mostly vertical, it gives X" of protection. When it's mostly horizontal, it gives X"+Y" of protection, and X"+Y" is always, 100% of the time, going to be more than X.

It's a matter of physical laws so basic that if you ignore them, you shouldn't have fucking *humans* in the setting. Ignoring something this simple means stuff like simple Euclidean geometry and grade-level physics are off the table, and you're potentially not even using 3-dimensional physics at all.

So yeah, I'm applying an immensely basic physical principle - that the hypotenuse of a triangle is longer than the vertical measurement - to the fantastical setting that demonstrates in 100+ other instances during the series that the hypotenuse of a triangle is in fact longer than the vertical measurement and thusly is a physical law of that fictional setting.

Excuse me for actually thinking about things while I watch my chinese cartoons. Turn off your smoke detectors and try it sometime.
>>
>>49869425
>Excuse me for actually thinking about things while I watch my chinese cartoons
When those things make you unable to enjoy a series on it's merits and it's version of reality, then you have a problem , anon.
>>
>>49869201
Just to chime in here, it is for people like you that I have glued googly eyes to my Panthers.
>>
>>49869449
>it's version of reality
This is the point - they've just said "lets have mechs" without bothering to make a reality where that makes any kind of sense.
>>
File: 1440347884851.png (186KB, 874x892px) Image search: [Google]
1440347884851.png
186KB, 874x892px
>>49863275
>why play 40k when you could play another game where every faction is the imperial guard?
>>
>>49868112
> it's immune to Matt Ward-isms and author favoritism
implying that history is not changed by propaganda all the time. I don't want to turn discussion into shitfest, but I think you'd agree that WW2 was not won solely by Americans for example.
>>
>>49869635
>WW2 was not won solely by Americans

No...no it wasn't. However, they also didn't cut off the tops of their British allies heads and make protective hats out of them either. Which would be shitfluff.
>>
>>49864658
As a system 40k is pretty good.

It's issues stem from poorly costed units in the codexs.
>>
>>49863275
Chainaxes.
>>
I never thought I would see someone actually object to the entire concept of fiction and enjoying anything that is not real.
>>
>>49863793
I suspect they got augmented reality display that indicates the name, rank and some basic info of other marines.

>>49866288
Deathkorps is more every ww1 army on the western front than nazis.

>>49866350
Use the same system but with germans?
There is a ton of books anbout every aspect of that war, do you relly need need a ww2 rpg to give you more than rules and gear?
Even AoR can be run with an imperail party without any difficulty.

>>49869171
Damn, anon, chill out. Who pissed in your coffee?
>>
>>49863437
Bolt action isn't even historical. Its written by an ex GW designer, who admitted not knowing much about WW2 when writing the system.

Its essentially 40K: WW2 edition
>>
>>49869125
Some of the rules are still pretty retarded. Flamethrowers for example. I know a lot of clubs have to houserule them to get them more balanced.

My main problem with BA is its an infantry skirmish game in a period where combined arms is much more interesting. WW2 suits Company to Battalion level battles rather than Skirmish
>>
A WW2 historian gave me shit about my Polish Cav in flames of war being painted blue and gold.

I asked him if he was going to buy my minis.

He said no.

I told him to shut his pie-hole then, and let me enjoy my pretend Swedes.
>>
>>49866288
I see a mixture of french and english ww1 equipment. Some belgian stuff, too.
>>
File: armageddon.jpg (103KB, 1024x730px) Image search: [Google]
armageddon.jpg
103KB, 1024x730px
>>49866288
>meme korps
>nazis
wrong war
>>
File: 1366538308469.jpg (155KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1366538308469.jpg
155KB, 1024x768px
Hey Bolt Action players give me one good reason why you havn't moved over to the superior game of Battlegroup yet?
>>
>>49868712
cool story bro

people died at omaha, at caen, at iwo jima and in nam so you could have the freedom to roll dice and pretend to be a SS tank commander because real history is better than escapism

i'm happy to let my games be fiction out of respect for real history and the real dead
>>
>>49868811
our boys didn't die at cassino so tards like you could use their reputations as a shield, fucko
>>
>>49870652
>people died so I dont want to play.

I can understand being respectful, but not wanting to play historical games for that reason is being pretty snowflake.
>>
>>49870652
Not playing historical games out of 'respect' is just as ridiculous as saying historical is objectively better because its real.
>>
>>49870693
ask a jewish guy if he wants to play SS in your wargames

ask a guy who remembers what the japs did to prisoners if he wants to be opfor when wargaming guadalcanal
>>
>>49870706
Anybody who refuses to play against a force in a warGAME because of what happened 70 years ago is completely irrational and is probably not even worth talking to.
>>
>>49870693
Also a lot of vets want these games to exist because it's a good way of people remember these wars.
>>
>>49870706
Jews would love playing SS, and vets would love playing the japs in guadalcanal. Its not like we're playing "jew exterminator: Treblinka edition" or "Bataan Death march 3.5e". They're games based on the units, tactics and battles of the period. Civilians dont usually even enter into the battles.

Like the other anon said, games are a great way of raising awareness and teaching people about what happened. you read through a historical rulebook or army list, you learn a bit about the period, and it may encourage you to learn more. Put on some documentaries while you paint, read some memoirs, etc.

If you read through a 40K army list or rulebook, you get some goof fluff for the setting, but its not really going to have an impact on your life or your understanding of history.
>>
>>49870587
not to mention the Austrian helmet.
>>
Killing historical units, heroes and characters in places they shoundt feels weird as fuck to me, and if you go saying its alternate history, sperging over my brazilians with late war tecnology and not marks that are just a way of saying "we could not afford newer tanks, so we took some old shit and changed the names and equipment" . But then I will not go sperg my own illogical dudes into their historical accurate game. Let then have their fun, I will go see if I find mine. Fuck, people even got annoyed when in lotr I made a moria orc wearing mithril.
>>
>>49863344
But WW2 has better fluff and you can cherrypick models from pretty much any historical manufacturer.
>>
>>49871087
>better fluff

Subjective.

And the point is they will all be models of the same basic thing, aesthetics and theme is important in wargames.
>>
>>49869521
This
>>
>>49871131
>all be models of the same basic thing
Units were pretty different in WW2 anon. especially vehicles. Units were different even year to year. An early war Russian army looks very different to a mid war or late war russian army. Multiply that by the 8 or 9 main factions in WW2 and there's a ridiculous amount of variety. You could spend days just learning about the hundreds of different German vehicles alone.

>>49871149
By that logic you should combine WHFB, 40K and Warmachine becuase there's more going on. More does not always equal better.
I wont say 40K is better than BA, they're both essentially the same game system, but at least BA is founded in history, so it gets a +1 from me. There are far better systems for WW2.
>>
>>49871203
You are missing the point, its all still realistic historical men. If Warlord makes models of US airborne the competitors models will by necessity look similar because they are making models of the same thing.

Its a different aesthetic to 40k or a medieval historical game or whatever else. Plenty of people choose games by fluff/aesthetic first.
>>
>>49863512
if you did that, you are saved already

signed
Alexus Protabut
Ministrial priest for the MXII regiment
>>
>>49870583
>swedes
>in ww2
>poles as swedes

He was right.
>>
>>49864744
Gentlemen, we need to homebrew a Bolt-Action RPG.

Maybe use only war as a base but strip the 40k specific fluff and mechanics?
>>
>>49868712
>literally playing pretend with toy figurines
>not childish as fuck no matter what
yeah man grow up from those stupid fucking kiddie legos already, all the mature adults play with army men instead!
>>
File: 452410203-German-Pz-IV-X-a.jpg (475KB, 1979x1979px) Image search: [Google]
452410203-German-Pz-IV-X-a.jpg
475KB, 1979x1979px
>>49869147
Well it definitly has no basis in real WWII.

But, apart from the fact that I probably never finda group for this (ts too new yet, anyway), i have some questions:

-can you mix basically what you like, so say a Panzer2 with a Tiger?
-Given its roughly 0% historically accurate, how important are historical paintschemes?
-How do you generally compose an army, never found anything online
-What the fuck does that panzerIV thing do?
>>
>>49868112
>immune to Matt Ward-isms and author favoritism

Because historians and people reporting on historical findings are objective, rational people, and in no way would do biased reporting, right?
>>
>>49868712
>It doesn't have fucktarded Army Of The Month fluff in it either.

I dunno, have you been to FoW threads?
>>
>>49871719
Most people who play K47 use their normal late war BA troops for most of the army so they have uniforms as historical as the person makes their normal forces.
>>
>>49871749
>Because historians and people reporting on historical findings are objective, rational people, and in no way would do biased reporting, right?
Well, they are more likely to be called and call others on their shit.
>>
>>49871799
thx, the bigger question is would they be offended if i did not. coz thats one of the things holding me back from it.

see:>>49870583
>>
>>49871131
>Subjective.

It's really hard to argue that 40k doesn't have some of the worst lore ever conceived.
>>
>>49871810
Yeah, unlike fictional universes, where everyone eats up retcons unquestioned, right?
>>
>>49869491
have you ever thought that the main reason mecha are used instead of tanks isn't armor, but mobility ?
>>
>>49869310
Bolt Action mech
your arguement is invalid
>>
The best part about Bolt Action (and historicals in general) is that nobody has a copyright on history. If you don't like the King Tiger model from Company A, you can get one from Company B, C, D and so on. The same for rule sets as well. If you don't like Napoleonic Ruleset A, you can try Napoleonic Rulesets B through Z.

As a side effect of all that, prices are low.
>>
>>49872852
that also means, you have to make the king tiger the it looked. With 40k there is great leverage on how you build your Leman russ, even the fluff supports it(Different pattern from another forgeworld)

(king tiger is a translation error, btw. Its called Koenigstiger =>bengal tiger)
>>
>>49872617
A tank would be more mobile than a mech, what is your point?
>>
>>49872913
I mean, I guess. It just comes with the territory, kinda like Horus Heresy.
>>
>>49872913

Your autism is showing.
>>
>>49865828
Try victrix for plastic good looking hastati and other Punic war era minis. Should also be lots of other metal manufacturers out there.
>>
>>49872852
There's plenty of people using 3rd party models in 40k and great many other games. I know plenty of people who haven't bought official miniatures for certain (non-historical) games, but alternatives. Necromunda gangers work great in Judge Dredd, for example.
>>
>>49863275
Because its models and lore are boring as fuck?

No Space Marines?
No Chaos?
No Orks?
No interest.
>>
File: 1402929832630.jpg (69KB, 580x376px) Image search: [Google]
1402929832630.jpg
69KB, 580x376px
NOBODY plays 40K for the gameplay, they just like the autistic lore and swallow the rancid mechanics for the sake of it.

Is there a lore more offensively dumb than 40k?
>>
>>49873758
>Is there a lore more offensively dumb than 40k?

Real life, for one.
>>
>>49873758
Age of Sigmar.
>>
>>49873758
Yes, plenty.
>>
>>49870158
Way too many overly-specific special rules, too.
>>
>>49869425
>X"+Y" is always, 100% of the time, going to be more than X.
>He doesn't know about negative numbers.
Bruh.
>>
>>49873052
Agema are also alright if not quite as nice as victrix.
>>
>>49869425
Not all armours are created equal. There are modern armours that are better at taking hits head on than at an angle.
>>
>>49865469
>Shitters are everywhere in wargaming
if only it was just in wargaming ...
>>
>>49873758
Clearly you have never payed attention in history class.
>>
>>49873758
What I don't get is why people actually play 40k. Why not just paint models with the Dawn of War soundtrack in the background?
>>
>>49875173
Why do people play historicals, instead of watching Waterloo and painting their Landwehr?
>>
>>49875602
Because some historicals are good games, unlike 40k.
>>
>>49871293
>Plenty of people choose games by fluff/aesthetic first.
Thats why I chose WW2 to be my main tabletop game setting. Fascinating fluff, great aesthetic, myriad of different units and combined arms tactics. Real history is just so much more in depth than fantasy settings.

>>49873758
>Is there a lore more offensively dumb than 40k?
There really isn't. A clusterfuck of 100 different peoples headcanons, making a stale slurr of pseudo-lore

>>49873118
WW2 has very interesting and colorful units though, much more interesting than any 40K faction because they're real, and you can read the memoirs of guys who were actually there. Much more diversity of units too. over 100 German vehicles alone. Thats almost more than all of the standard 40K vehicles, and thats only 1 faction of WW2.
>>
>>49876919
>over 100 German vehicles alone
No shit? I knew Natzees were autistic about vehicles, but not that much.
>>
File: Based bread blaster Bubi.jpg (101KB, 606x602px) Image search: [Google]
Based bread blaster Bubi.jpg
101KB, 606x602px
>>49871131
>implying WW2 doesnt have some of the best named-characters never written
Best fluff and characters of any war in history, and probably future too 2bh
>>
File: CE323FX.jpg (4MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
CE323FX.jpg
4MB, 5184x3456px
>>49876919
>WW2 has very interesting and colorful units though, much more interesting than any 40K faction because they're real, and you can read the memoirs of guys who were actually there. Much more diversity of units too. over 100 German vehicles alone. Thats almost more than all of the standard 40K vehicles, and thats only 1 faction of WW2.
No it doesn't, because those tanks and vehicles are all filed away into various types that play the same with varying degrees of effectiveness. A T-34 plays little different from its equal, just with different stats. meanwhile a Leman Russ Executioner or Leman Russ Demolisher have radically different playstyles despite being based on the same tank model. WWII also has nothing like Space Marines and their playstyle, especially Dark Angels for that matter.

And they aren't more interesting because they're real, they're BORING. Reality is the entire reason why fantasy exists- to escape from it. WWII doesn't have superhuman space knights wearing APC's for armor, nor does it have Space Elves who ride around in flying tanks with giant mecha knights punching the other guy's knights to death. There's no Chaos Daemons tearing through into reality from a literal hellscape bent on the enslavement of life and destruction of reality. And unlike 40k, you can't paint units whatever the hell you want with custom heraldry and unique fluff crafted for your army with far less holding you back than rigid WWII doctrine. If I want my tanks to be painted with a Fleur de Lis for camouflage I can do that without anybody batting an eyelid.

Plus WWII doesn't have a huge variety of models like this bitchin guy in pic related.
>>
>>49877982
Shitty baiting aside, early WW2 offers a great deal of variety, since we were still figuring out the basis of modern combat. Tank rules weren't set in stone and you could one ones armed with just machine guns or a howitzer, anti-tank capabilities weren't perfected, tanks could vary from a sheet plate armoured box to a well armoured box with a pea shooter gun, etc.

Even later on, while T-34, Panzer IV, Sherman, and Cromwell were nigh identical, there was still massive differences in the fighting vehicles of each side. Germans had a wide range of tanks from heavy Tigers and Tiger IIs to all around Panthers, StuGs, all manner of armoured cars and half-tracks with autocannons, AA guns, rocket launchers, howitzers, etc. US didn't put much effort into a large variety of guns and relied on artillery and numbers to deal with the German war machine. On top of the different M4 models where were the plethora of tank hunters with light armour, light tanks, and the weirdos like M3 Lee and M4 Calliope.

Brits had their own tanks, as well as plenty of US tanks. They had their cruiser tanks with lots of speed and the infantry tanks that were slow but armoured enough to give German tanks a run for their money. Russia, o Russia. What they didn't build they Lend-Leased and had no shortage of stuff to choose from. From the heavy KVs to the heavier IS', from the SUs to the ISUs. T-26s and T-70s, T-28s and T-35s, 76mm Shermans, Matilda IIs and Valentines, M3 Stuarts and SU-57s.
>>
>>49863275
I know too much about WW2 to have fun playing a game where you can field child soldiers like the HJ - I likes my far-flung-in-the-future fantasy war game.
>>
>>49868712
History is always loaded: I don't want to face an opponent across the table and wonder if his Das Reich force is painted in a scheme before or after Oradour or Tulle.
>>
>>49869171
>pseudo-apes in Somalia

Found the edgy underage poster
>>
>>49878824
History is only loaded if you are irrational and easily offended.

Which anybody who cares if a WW2 German force is pre or post a particular war crime is. How far do you take your utterly insane idea? Should an Arab refuse to play a game that has Mongols because of the destruction of Baghdad? Will a Cornishman refuse to play a game with Moors in it because untold thousands of his countrymen were enslaved in North Africa?
>>
>>49865428
Nah, AoS is more fun than all of them
>>
>>49868712
I think it may be you who is being childish
>>
>>49869425
Isnt this explained in-universe in BattleTech? Tanks are more heavily armed but mechs are far more mobile. And a bunch of other reasons. I think I read it on the BattTech page on 1d
>>
>>49870346
It's become popular to hate fiction on /tg/ recently, it has been popping up in threads quite a bit
>>
>>49870706
I think Mel Brooks would love this
>>
>>49870706
>ask a jewish guy if he wants to play SS in your wargames

What if he was one of the Jews that actually fought on the German side and was even awarded for their action?
>>
>>49863275
When Bolt Action has swarms of bio-engineered space dinosaur-bugs with a Lovecraft-meets-Giger aesthetic you let me know.

Until then it's the inferior game.
>>
>>49879053
History is loaded if you see people as more than playing pieces on a game board.

Check.
>>
Joke's on you guys I just play Bolt Action with proxy'd 40k models from the Tabletop Simulator steam workshop page for superior aesthetics AND superior rules.
>>
>>49880260
So which Factions rules accurately represent the playstyle of voracious tides of chitinous space locusts, for example ?
>>
>>49880317
Russian conscripts OORAAAAAAH!

Seriously, though, you can get pretty close if you try hard enough with troop quality and using close combat and stuff.
>>
>>49879053
Playing WWII games is usually just an excuse for closet nazis to pretend Hitler was right though.

If the autists in this thread actually gave a fuck about being realistic and "muh fluff" then they'd play with shit from Spectre miniatures or stuff like that.

Modern troops.
>>
>>49880456
>muh realism

It wouldn't make for much of a war game to be utterly surrounded, outnumbered and outgunned like the Germans were in WW2. Playing equal points Late-war Germans in FoW allows them to rewrite that most unpleasant aspect of history, irrefutable fact.
>>
>>49863327
So play Konflikt 47.
>>
>>49871203
>Units were pretty different in WW2 anon. especially vehicles. Units were different even year to year.

That would be great except bolt action barely represents the any of this, using generic rules for most weapons and vehicles (a t34 and a pvIV are identical rules wise).
>>
>>49880776
I like my Nazis with lazer guns to have players.
>>
File: 1474174552896.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1474174552896.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>49868712

>dude makes bolt action players look this bad

Yeesh, and I actually like bolt action a lot.
>>
>>49863275

Because ww2 is overdone and I know so much about it that it's boring.

Give me a Diesel punk ww1 game or so.
>>
>>49863275
>being better than 40K

That's not at all a high bar to pass.
>>
>>49871822
no, at least not for k47. Part of the fun many long time grogs are having is coming up with ideas for how camo schemes would have evolved from there.

>>49871719
Probably not a Panzer II, but to be fair the Spinne light Panzer mech is a Panzer II except with legs.

>historical paintschemes
The very panzer IV you linked has a non historical scheme. There's some expectation to roughly base your ideas on history, and honestly truth is stranger than fiction, you'll find all kinds of ideas if you look. Especially anything late war German. Towards 1945 it was more a question of what colors a German tank WASNT being painted than anything.

>How do you generally compose an army

Forces are built from a "reinforced platoon". This would either be an infantry platoon with some attached specialists and a vehicle or walker, or a "tank company" composed of mostly tanks/walkers with infantry support. If you've played IG, just think of how an infantry platoon is set up. That is the unit your army is based around.

>what the fuck does that panzer IV do

it's literally a grav cannon on crack. The heavier you are, the harder you fall, and that thing is designed to crush tanks like beer cans.
>>
>>49871822
no, at least not for k47. Part of the fun many long time grogs are having is coming up with ideas for how camo schemes would have evolved from there.

>>49871719
Probably not a Panzer II, but to be fair the Spinne light Panzer mech is a Panzer II except with legs.

>historical paintschemes
The very panzer IV you linked has a non historical scheme. There's some expectation to roughly base your ideas on history, and honestly truth is stranger than fiction, you'll find all kinds of ideas if you look. Especially anything late war German. Towards 1945 it was more a question of what colors a German tank WASNT being painted than anything.

>How do you generally compose an army

Forces are built from a "reinforced platoon". This would either be an infantry platoon with some attached specialists and a vehicle or walker, or a "tank company" composed of mostly tanks/walkers with infantry support. If you've played IG, just think of how an infantry platoon is set up. That is the unit your army is based around.

>what the fuck does that panzer IV do

it's literally a grav cannon on crack. The heavier you are, the harder you fall, and that thing is designed to crush tanks like beer cans.
>>
File: StugLyfe.jpg (61KB, 640x437px) Image search: [Google]
StugLyfe.jpg
61KB, 640x437px
Wider model range with more room for customization, throwing dice is just a bonus, and I don't even know anyone who plays Bolt Action.

If I did pick it up, I'd just spam Sturmgeschütz.
>>
People like 40k, people like Bolt Actio, others have no stake, and others like them both and other games.

Can't we leave it at that instead of just shitting on each other?
>>
File: top.jpg (72KB, 550x306px) Image search: [Google]
top.jpg
72KB, 550x306px
>>49863275
Less freedom to make your own fluff.

I do want to start a WW2 french army, I think they will do ok in small games, but the lack of ever doing anything late war kinda puts a cramp on the fun.

>Cheaper than death korps of keig tho
>>
>>49880456
Why do you feel the need to tell obvious lies on the internet?

Anybody who grew up in the Anglosphere was raised on media about WW2, its just something thousands of people find interesting. The only autist here is you.
>>
>>49872617
>mechs
>mobility
Yes, having a much higher ground pressure is great for mobility.
>>
PLASTIC ANZAC FUCKING WHEN.

PLASTIC MANLY MEN IN MANLY DAD SHORTS.

PLASTIC MANLY DONKEYS CARRYING STUFF.
>>
>>49882920
>tfw ouiabou
Still in Bolt Action france didn't got screwed so badly. if you want challenge go for them
>>
>>49882920
go for it make that army be a real man!!!!
>>
>>49882920
If you want to go full French hipster you could do Indochina with the empress fng range. Late war French are pretty much a u.s force in bolt action.
>>
>>49879101
>>
I dunno if anybody could honestly say 40k is a better game than Bolt Action. Fiction vs History is subjective, so people have good reason for playing one or the other.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.