[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drug Addiction in RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: CocaineHydrochloridePowder.jpg (4MB, 3008x1960px) Image search: [Google]
CocaineHydrochloridePowder.jpg
4MB, 3008x1960px
How would you handle drug addiction in your games, mechanically speaking? That is, where the players being addicted to something is a plot point and not just backstory or something.

I was thinking that one good way to handle it might be to make a roll of some kind against an appropriate player stat (e.g. Willpower in D&D or Shadowrun) - if the DM beats the player, then the character loses control to their addiction and must seek out their drug of choice (to the point of "making" their character do something). Obviously certain groups wouldn't be OK with that, but it might be interesting if everyone was on board.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
>>
I would handle it the same way Fallout does. Make a roll every time the player consumes an addictive substance. If the roll fails, the player becomes addicted. For each day the character is in withdrawal, several of their stats are diminished until the character either rides the withdrawals out, or gives in and consumes more of the substance.

Drug withdrawals can average within the area of two weeks, but I guess that can be adjusted depending on how potent the drug is. Being addicted to something like benzos can produce withdrawal symptoms literally for years.
>>
Will saves are an appropriate use, but should only be applied when there is a known source of the drug nearby. If the trip to that source is not immediate the character should get additional saves due to time to rethink their actions. The character can help relegate this issue by getting rid of any nearby known sources (though this in itself may require a willpower check.) Part of roleplaying is playing a character under the influence of such affects, and as such, you should give the player the chance to play out the failure and only handle the actions yourself if they refuse to handle it properly. Do not let a player argue their control should supercede effects like this; that's like arguing that they should have immunity to fear and charm affects because they impact control of their character.

Temporary stat loss can represent withdrawal symptoms. Say, -2 STR and DEX to represent shaking and -1 accuracy in sunlight to represent sensitivity to light. This creates an incentive to reuse the drug to deal with the withdrawal.

Permanent stat loss can represent the long term side effects of abuse. Charisma and willpower are good stats to affect here, though it will vary per drug. Drugs that decay willpower show how long term addiction becomes increasingly difficult to overcome, while charisma show the lasting affects on their appearance and interference with day to day interactions with others. These sorts of effects should only be applied over the very long term, such as a year or more of constant abuse.
>>
>>49862523
>>
File: GreenDevilFace6.jpg (159KB, 557x781px) Image search: [Google]
GreenDevilFace6.jpg
159KB, 557x781px
>>49862151

I'm still waiting for Green Devil Face issue #6 to come out.
>>
File: Green Lantern v2 85.jpg (570KB, 1200x1768px) Image search: [Google]
Green Lantern v2 85.jpg
570KB, 1200x1768px
>>49862565

..and the inspiration for that cover.
>>
>>49862220
>>49862523

These seem like good ideas - I might go with the Fallout method in determining when a player becomes addicted, and follow the second poster's advice re: dealing with addictions once they're in place.

I admit - I might not want to apply permanent stat penalties, since that seems a little TOO harsh - I don't want to punish someone for good roleplaying, after all. But I guess I'd play it by ear based on the system.
>>
>>49862523
The problem with targeting particular stats is that it will just become part of your player build. If drug X reduce stat Y, and I don't need Y (or the reduction in Y is totally worth the drug benefit), then their is no real penalty for drug abuse.

>>49862220
I liked how drugs where in Fallout.

Since this is not a computer game, I would threat withdrawal like this :
> Once per scene / fight / whatever roll for willpower / wisdom / whatever
> If success, nothing happen
> If fail, the character is useless for the entire scene
RP effect left to your discretion :
> too busy rummaging his bag for the hundred time because "maybe I still have one doses left"
> trying to find a dealer if in a market/city (may add additional rolls to see if it attract attention)
> mumbling to himself in fetal position
Not something your players will be able to build around, and the opportunity for "no penalty at all if lucky" mean they are going to be enticed to try drugs much more than they should. And let's be honest if you are looking for drug addiction mechanics, you WANT your players to try that shit and pay the consequences.
>>
>>49862764
The thing is, though, having that kind of effect on a fail isn't really fun for the player in question: it means they have to sit out the entire fight, and depending on the system that could be a while.

It's good to be able to portray the problems an addict has, but you also don't want to punish the players for roleplaying. Stat penalties seem like the best compromise - you could always tailor them based on the player in question (so you're never losing points from a dump stat).
>>
>>49862583

>Speedy
>Shocked he uses drugs

Next thing you know people will be shocked when they find out Speedball was a user.

That said, drugs are awesome!

With love,
Snowflame
>>
>>49862764
It's possible the player may opt to think like that in regard to the min-maxing effects of the drug. In that case, you should eventually reveal (through another case, perhaps the junkie that introduced them to the drug) that the long term side effects will eventually be lethal or otherwise render the character unplayable as they can no longer focus on anything but satisfying their addiction. Once the penalized stat hits 0, the character dies or is handled by the DM from that point on to represent their complete and utter surrender to the drug.
>>
File: drugs in cyberpunk 2020.png (11KB, 258x109px) Image search: [Google]
drugs in cyberpunk 2020.png
11KB, 258x109px
>>49862151
>How would you handle drug addiction in your games
Less patronizingly than this.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.