[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Custom Army Creation Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 52

File: Blank Space Marine.png (241KB, 929x651px) Image search: [Google]
Blank Space Marine.png
241KB, 929x651px
As it says on the tin, come hear for all your army fluff creation needs.
Tell us about your army/force. What are they called? What are their colours? What can you tell us about their lore?

If you need help designing your dudes, please feel to ask for it here.

Marine Chapter, Imperial Guard Regiment, Craftworld, or any other army for any wargame: everything is welcome here!
>>
File: image.jpg (406KB, 1032x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
406KB, 1032x800px
>>
File: Desertraidersmarine.jpg (67KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
Desertraidersmarine.jpg
67KB, 400x500px
>>49860853
can anyone help 2 anons expand upon their chapter for the glory of the emperor?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Desert_Raiders_Chapter
>>
I need some help coming up with a name and colour scheme for my chapter.

They're descended from the Imperial Fists, and I plan on using those chapter tactics in-game.
They're a young chapter (late M38/early M39), and have always been plagued by a lack of the more ancient tools and weapons used by the Astartes. They completely lack terminator armour, dreadnoughts, and land raiders. To compensate, they've formed ties with a few forge worlds, trading their services as soldiers in exchange for artificer armour, predators, and other pieces of wargear in relatively large numbers.

While they follow the Codex Astartes, they do so solely because they find it to be an excellent treatise on tactics. It's proven itself for 10,000 years, and they believe it would be arrogant to disregard it. With one exception: they don't use librarians as front line combatants.
As far the chapter is concerned, the Emperor banned librarians at Nikea and hold true to his command. If a marine develops psychic abilities, he is retired from combat duties and relegated to an advisory position.

I'm not sure about centurion warsuits. I personally hate the model, but can't think of a reason why a chapter like this wouldn't use them. After all, they could definitely use the new toys.

I'm leaning towards a camo colour scheme of some sort, but I'm not sure. Maybe they repaint their armour depending on the environment?
Or is that too Raven Guard?

Anyway, to sum it up:
No terminators, dreadnoughts, land raiders or librarians.
Possibly no centurions; possibly lots of 'em.
Ready access to rhino-variant tanks, artificer armour, and special ammunition (courtesy of allied Forge Worlds).
Descended from Imperial Fists and Codex compliant.

Thoughts?
>>
>>49861071
Sure, just let me give this a read.
>>
File: sm (1).jpg (22KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
sm (1).jpg
22KB, 400x500px
Im having trouble deciding on a chapter badge for my Chapter. Im leaning towards the name of the Scions of Iron. Imperial Fist or Iron Hands successors. I feel like using a Crimson Fist icon would fit in fairly well for them.

For the image, the dark grey is supposed to be metallic.
>>
>>49861198
What is their homeworld like? Becuase maybe you can add [homeworld name] + [a word]
>>
Since I'm just building and painting I don't have to care about what I put on my figures, and it's a great feel. Nabbed myself a Hell Pit Abomination that I'm going to convert to a Tzeentchian daemon of some kind, with multiple weapons attached to it for my combined Dark Mechanicus/Chaos Space Marine force.
Having some trouble coming up with a name for these guys though. I know that DM and CSM are both edgy as fuck, but it's tricky to think up something that hasn't been done before.
>>
>>49861276
I have the Path to Glory name generator here. If you want you can roll up a name?
>>
>>49861071
>>49861222
I see a few things that wouldn't fly with the Imperium. It says there that they took supplies from Chaos held worlds, and rescued navigators from Chaos ships. Both the gear and the navigators would be considered so tainted by exposure that they'd almost certainly be destroyed.
Maybe if it was worded as them having reclaimed Imperial gear that the archenemy had not yet corrupted or otherwise only recently captured it would make more sense, but the navigator thing is still questionable at best.
Also, their tactics make them sound more like Raven Guard than Imperial Fists successors, but that's just me.
Also, their battle cry is one word off from a favorite Night Lords phrase. Just sayin'.

My favorite bit is their homeworld. I love the idea of them setting up shop in the worst place they could find and simply outsourcing their recruitment.

My biggest complaint is that they seem to be doing too well, they're too successful. The forces of Chaos aren't pushovers, and I could see them taking heavy loses with their constant battles against them.
Or you might want to throw in some geneseed problems. If they have trouble making new marines, it would put greater stress on minimizing loses and maximizing combat efficiency: they simply can't afford to replace anyone.
>>
>>49861370
We've done 2 Desert Raider help threads before and most of what you see is from those anons. If you'd like to help us remove or add stuff please feel free!
>>
>>49861269
I'd planned on them being a crusade chapter, actually.
>>
File: Chapter name 1.png (298KB, 376x809px) Image search: [Google]
Chapter name 1.png
298KB, 376x809px
>>49861198
Use these to roll up a name if you lack any ideas right now. Or just use it to get some inspiration for the name.

>1/2
>>
>>49861234
If you go with the Iron Hands successor idea, I'd say go full cog. Maybe a starburst set inside a cog or series of cogs?
>>
Rolled 19, 45 = 64 (2d100)

>>49861418
>>49861437
Ooo, this is nice. Is it from the Deathwatch RPG, by any chance?
>>
File: chapter name 2.png (394KB, 380x1171px) Image search: [Google]
chapter name 2.png
394KB, 380x1171px
>>49861418
Fixed the 2nd table, I saw that it lacked the last results
>2/2

>>49861466
Yes. It's from the DW RPG
>>
>>49861441
Im not sure I really trust my skills in trying to paint a starburst or not. Im pretty much garbage at trying to freehand.
>>
>>49861466
You got Dark Jaguars, not bad.
>>
Rolled 64, 90 = 154 (2d100)

>>49861418
>>49861498
>>
>>49861515
Ah, I see. That sort of limits the options, then. I've got the same problem, actually.
My other thought would be to steal a page from the World Eaters' book and have a planet be inside a cog. As long as you can paint a round shape it wouldn't be that hard to do a little blue and a little green. And it wouldn't even need to be an identical planet each time.
Hell, you could actually fluff them as a crusade chapter and say each planet depicts that marine's homeworld.
>>
>>49861348
Thanks, but I reckon it's just better if I roll it around my head for a while. I don't want to end up with guys called The Black Bulls or The Knot-Takers.
>>
>>49861589
>Red Warriors
Looks like your chapter are Native Americans. Hope you like painting feathers.
>>
>>49861234
Take a look at some transfer sheets from some other factions, like Imperal Guard, Skitarii, Harlequins, etc... and maybe use a symbol for there as your chapter mark?
>>
>>49861604
Do you have any good tutorials to paint some cogs? I like the idea of each marine showing his home world off.
>>
Rolled 52 (1d100)

>>49861418
>>49861498
I need a name for my SM allies.
>>
Rolled 89 (1d100)

>>49861649
Forgot a die, whoops
>>
>>49861631
I do have a bunch of necron transfers I could use.
>>
>>49861649
>>49861667
>Mailed Warriors

"My lord, the Mailed Warriros Space Marine chapter have arrived on their battlebarge "Fed'Ex"
>>
>>49861642
Not off the top of my head, but you could find some really small cogs and just glue 'em on. Watch cogs would be about the right size, and with the popularity of steampunk it's not too hard to find that sort of thing. People make steampunk jewelry all the damn time.

The only major issue would be to fill in the holes and such in the cogs themselves, but that can be handled with greenstuff without too much trouble.
>>
>>49861642
>I like the idea of each marine showing his home world off
Me too. I may have to steal that idea.
>>
Rolled 65, 57 = 122 (2d100)

I need a name and more importantly a color scheme for the poor sons of bitches Space Marines that got their rhinos jacked by my Orks. Hopefully a paint scheme that contrasts nicely with blue paint splashed over it.
>>
Surta related I guess.
Wanted to know if there is anything strictly preventing Eldars from turning to Khorne. I was fluffing a some demon princes for a campaign, and the idea of a warlike eldar seer seeking protection from Slaanesh kicked in.
>>
>>49861862
That would be a little atypical, but nothing is truly safe from the corruption of chaos.
Might work if the eldar was a corsair prince at the time, maybe from a band that has close ties to Commorragh.

I'd be cool with it.
>>
>>49861853
>Red Paladins

No wonder the Orks stole those Rhinos, they were fast as hell.
>>
>>49861926
Actually, his corruption would come back to the Fall. But the idea of a corsair seer is simply too awesome/dreadful/overpowered to be left behind. Even more now that he is inclined towards Khorne.
>>
>>49861642
Start with a circle and then use another colour to "erase" to create the teeth of the gears. It's easier than trying to actually paint each tooth individually.

Still, as cool as it would look, it will be a lot of work.
>>
>>49861930
That's a great name for some dudes to job for my Orks, and a great reason.
>>
>>49862026
Ill at least give it a try. The guide looks easy enough.
>>
>>49861930
>>49862071
Definitely a BA successor chapter.
>>
Shadow wolves: luna wolf successor loyalists. mostly black but with red highlights. first chapter master was Garviel Loken (shutup this was his side job other than his gk captainship xD) and they have 1,600 marines with 16 captains. they use twin blades and glaives a lot for melee weapons and have some banestrike shells left over from the heresy. thoughts?
>>
>>49862137
Are you by any chance making this fluff so you can use the 30k Legion rules in 40k?
>>
>>49861021
Doing god's work anon.

As an addendum: DO NOT FUCKING TURN THE COLOR TO MAXIMUM SATURATION, THE MARINE WILL LOOK LIKE A GODDAMN LEGO FIGURE/DEVIANT ART OC SHIT.

Also it makes the painter program have artifacts all over it and look like shit, if you're using that one.
>>
Kiell's 11th "Cyotes"

Harrowing from the agri-world of Kiell, this regiment constists of conscripted farmers.

The men are not very dedicated to the Imperial cult and only do the minimal work required to survive, they do what they can to avoid the frontline and prefer to be stationed in reserve or to guard supply lines.

They do not adhere to a specific doctrine because of beaurocratic error within the Administratum which prevents them from being properly supplied.
This forces the regiment to procure equipment by scavenging from other regiments, hence the Cyote nickname.

Although the men don't like action, they share a strong bond with each other which keeps morale high during combat and they love their tanks with near cult like zeal.

Their combat history isn't something to brag about but they have successfully halted enemy counter offensives, supply line raids and flanking attempts in the past.
>>
>>49862345
yeeeees? xD

(i love me some 30k!)
>>
Ye Rok Jumpers, a freebooterz ork warband.

I came up with this shit this morning, as I want to get back to play 40k and have already lots of ork minis and bits. I'm not a writefag by any means, but here's the thing:

Have you ever heard about Ghazghkull? Tuska the daemon-killer? The Beast of Ullanor? All of them legendary ork warbosses who took their WAAAGH! through the stars in mad crusades for war and reckless destruction.

However, not all WAAAGH! come to such a fun end. It all started just right after an ork looted ship was spit out of the Warp, full of greenskins getting ready to kill, or deeply concerned about things to kill and how to kill them. But instead of appearing in an imperial system, or even one of those blue shooty planets, they found nothing.

Nothing but a dying red sun that had nothing but one tiny rock with the lightest atmosphere and nothing to kill or loot. Obviously, this obfuscated the orks, who expressed their frustration by killing each other inside of the eldritch spaceship.

Almost all orks succumbed to the rage, but a handful of them stared at the planet, Kaptin Paglork between them. Greedy like no other greenskin, owner of a sack of teeth so big even the Bad moonz thought of him as tacky, he saw something shiny for a brief moment in the surface of the planet. Amongst the chaos, it wasn't hard for him to teleport himself and his most trusted freebootas down to surface.

What they found down there was still dust and ash, and the gang would have found the same destiny than the greenskins battling up in the sky, but after a pet gretchin screamed in terror, they saw what catched Paglork's eye.

It was an arc, so old that looked like it was made out of smoke, yet solid as bone. In its surface, strange lights and colors danced graciously. Of course, the kaptin and his boyz didn't care about anything of that and grabbed his dakka, about to enter the eerie portal.

1/2
>>
Hey, this is an old project that never got around to being finished. Would somebody be so kind as to look at it, and see if it's worthwhile

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Expanded_Minor_Chapters
>>
>>49862607
Then here are my suggestions:
1) Cut down to 1000 marines
2) Cut out the "wolves" part of the name
3) Cut out the Loken fluff, make your own dude

1 and 2 are important because the last thing these guys would want is to draw attention to their origins. They'll want to appear codex compliant, and they will be desperate to hide any connection to Horus.

3 is important because, no, I will not shut up, that's just silly. Make your own badass Luna Wolves captain.

Other than that, I say go for it. I love the Legion rules as well.
>>
Rolled 52, 23 = 75 (2d100)

>>49861418
>>49861498
Let's see what we can do.
>>
>>49862694
okay, ill try that out....thanks for the suggestions!
>>
>>49862680
I'm hesitant about making up new fluff for existing GW chapters. It's likely to cause confusion since 1d4chan is used so often as a place to get authentic fluff (for better or for worse).
>>
>>49862622
Paglork and his boyz found themselves in a colorful labyrinth, with everchanging crystal tiles covering walls, floor and ceiling, the unconceivable fractal space folded on itself, its perfect simmetry broken by the sight of several slender figures, white-masked phantoms that danced without stop, quickly approaching the ork gang.

This mere sight would have turned any human mad not speak of tau or lesser xenos, but orks are made of a different thing. Instead, they laughed.

They laughed so hard and for so long that even the harlequins looked at each other in confusion, without stopping their eternal dance. It wasn't long until they decided that trespassers, now matter how cheerful, must be punished.

And so, the orks turned laughter into battlecry when the harlequins charged towards them. Short thing, they won (dunno how to justify this) Kaptin Paglork was so amused with his foes he asked a couple of gretchins to dress with the fallen eldar clothing, then he threatened some boyz to do the same thing, and kept laughing until all his boyz were colorful and clad in harlequin gear.

In this moment, he had a vision. He would take the baddest and meanest of the orks in a ship of his own, to live as freeboterz and wage war in the stars; but to laugh at their enemies just as they have done. They took the colors of these strange laughing pointy-earz and (dunno how to take them back to realspace)

Basically that, orks like harlequins that love pranks, looting and laughing, not so grimdark but hey.

Squares of bright purple and yellow, some of them even painting their faces white to look more like harlequins.

What you think?

2/2
>>
>>49862862
>>49862622
Well, I love me some freebooters, and this origin story sounds just fine to me. And it offers some fun modeling opportunities.
>>
>>49861198
Idea is bit used, but it doesn't matter. More "reasonable" marines are always fun. I do like it. The fact that they lack heavy stuff forces them to improvise and concentrate on other aspects.mayve they couls have stuff like Basilisks or Colossus Siege guns operated by chapter serfs?

I also don't like Centurions either in fluff or as model. I see them too complicated piece of technology.

>>49862411
Not everybody is a hero. I do like that somebody remembers the backline troops that haul around supplies and work as sentries and guards as more vereran Regiments do heavy lifting.
>>
>>49861418
>>49861498
93 = 19 (4d10)

What kind of colors would a chapter named THUNDER DEATH rock?
>>
>>49862980
Yellow or blue thunder on red or black background. Then add boatloads of thunder shaped artifacts and greble on armor and equipment.
>>
>>49862980
Light metallic armor.
Yellow pauldrons with black lightning bolts on them.
They're all about bikes, jump packs and plasma.
>>
File: Chaptercard.png (228KB, 1219x521px) Image search: [Google]
Chaptercard.png
228KB, 1219x521px
I came up with this chapter using the creation tables and excessive amounts of playing Soulstorm. I wanted to try giving them a Polish/Irish based culture.
>>
>>49863363
Looks good to me. Only complaint is that the dragon should be facing the other way: towards the enemy. As-is, it's running away.
>>
>>49863986
Ah! I never thought of it like that! Thanks for the suggestion!
>>
>>49864255
You had it correct for a flag, but on armour there are different concerns.
>>
>>49861418
Does anyone happen to have something similar for CSM Warbands?
>>
>>49861642
>>49862086
Please post your results, I'd love to see how it turns out.
>>
>>49860853
This is the first of my two Imperial Guard units.
>>
>>49865094
This is my second.
>>
Did Hua Yuan ever get finished?
>>
>>49862743
It's for chapters with non to begin with
>>
>>49865094
>>49865152
Quite detailed. Is there anything in particular you'd like us to focus on for feedback?
>>
>>49865400
I know, but it can still be confusing for new people. They'll probably think the information is, you know, official.

It's not a major concern, I know.
>>
>>49865407
More lore than rules, to be honest. I'm comfortable with the rules in question; the only reason they're in there is because I didn't want to reorganize a lore-only document and where the pictures--that I feel fit the theme of the Guard unit in question--are set in terms of the document.
>>
>Marine Chapter, Imperial Guard Regiment, Craftworld, or any other army for any wargame: everything is welcome here!

Anyone mind if I post a custom faction I wrote up for a Space Opera GURPS game that died in the water? Not wargame related, but I had fun with it.
>>
>>49861071
I've always wondered, what is this space marine maker? I can't find it for the life of me.
>>
>>49865519
Looks like the one from Bolter and Chainsword:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/273790-the-bc-painters/
>>
File: Sand Nomads.jpg (49KB, 603x692px) Image search: [Google]
Sand Nomads.jpg
49KB, 603x692px
>>49865531
Thank you!
>>
>>49865758
Poor guy looks a bit lopsided.

Needs more fist. You can never have enough fist.
>>
>>49865094
Some grammar issues fixed upon re-reading. As with anyone who actually tries to make something, I always discover the most mistakes when I'm nervous about others reading them.
>>
File: Custom_Chapter_1st_Company.jpg (48KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
Custom_Chapter_1st_Company.jpg
48KB, 400x500px
Alright /tg/ I really fucking need your help on this one. I've tried nailing down my personal chapter so many times only to go "fuck it! It makes no sense/is stupid/isn't focused".

I'll tell you all what I need:
>Name and heraldry ideas
>Chapter tactics/refined battle plan (right now they're all fucking over the place with my attempts to be "adaptive")
>Lore solidification

Basically I wanted to build my ideal chapter and then poke holes in them to make them more interesting. I'm not sure on what successor they're of, but it's probably White Scars.

They tried to build up their own little empire but got bitch-slapped by their allies during the Reign of Blood, and only managed to get away with their homeworld intact and not being declared traitors because after Vandire went down everyone figured mistakes were made. Their world's now a techno-feral planet filled with hardy people who distrust outsiders.

They WANT to be Reasonable Marines, but their bitch-slapping resulted in them ending up more like Blood Magpies, hoarding any tech and knowledge they can get their hands on - even sometimes abducting people. They put on a heroic face, and wish they didn't have to steal so much shit, but it's live or die.

I'm trying to make them into a force built on focused strikes, whether they be loud or sneaky, they like to size up their enemy and then hit when it's the most advantageous. They aren't big on tanks, save for Dreads, and they like having lots of specialist units (apothecaries mostly). The Librarius is also very prominent, as they have to balance their lust for knowledge against the predations of Chaos.

That's about as condensed as I can get. Help me focus these guys. I want them to be diverse (mainly because I like modelling and converting) , but not if it makes them mediocre at everything. I want them to be heroic, but not to the point of sueishness. And I want a way to be able to balance their desire for knowledge against falling to Chaos.
>>
File: The Rift Opens.jpg (7KB, 188x268px) Image search: [Google]
The Rift Opens.jpg
7KB, 188x268px
>>49862980
Deep gray main color, black pauldrons.

All Bolt-weapons are painted cyan, because the sight of cyan clouds means a hailstorm is about to ruin your fucking day.

Veterans are a gray-green color, because when you see gray-green clouds you're gonna fucking die, son.

Lascannons are painted black or yellow, because they're basically lightning.

Plasma weapons glow orange or yellow, like ball lightning.
>>
File: soic.jpg (388KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
soic.jpg
388KB, 1000x750px
>>49865089
I absolutely messed up the cogs, but accidentally made a badge I like. I may have made the picture a little too blurry, however.
>>
>>49866976
That does look rather interesting. With a little more practice and more regular brush strokes that will make for a solid, unique chapter symbol. Might need a new chapter name to match it, though. Iron Fangs? Astral Fangs?
I rather like the name they have now, though.
>>
>>49867082
I definitely like my current name, but Iron Fangs sound pretty good too. Maybe call them the Iron Maw or Maw of Iron instead?
>>
>>49866976
Looks like the World Eaters
>>
>>49867111

Iron Maw... sounds like CHAOS "Battle Brother"
Please stand by for heresy evaluation
>>
>>49867111
I've never really been a fan of singular chapter names. They can work, but they can also sound a bit awkward.
That being said, the Iron Maw sounds much better than Maw of Iron. The first is quick and snappy, the second less so.

I'm stealing the planet-in-cog idea, btw.
>>
>>49867196
Maybe you can make the cogs work better than I can. I might think of a better Chapter name as I flesh them out a bit more, currently just have a pretty rough idea.
>>
>>49867222
Tell me more about their background.
>>
>>49867235
So far I have the idea that their old home world was a colonized moon orbiting a fairly small forge world. After some time, the forge world fell to Chaos, and as an act of penance became a fleet based chapter, embarking on a Crusade to purge Hereteks. They enjoy finding unique technology, and as such, have close ties to the Admech.

The Chapter belief is that embracing technology is a good thing, and as such, being interred into a Holy Dreadnought is one of the greatest privileges a battle brother can receive.
>>
>>49867288

Said they went on an empire building spree, da?
Might be fun to trace their origins back to before/during the Crusades when mankind was still a bunch of ununified polities.
Distantly, of course. A chapter that old is a bit much.
>>
>>49867288
Then I'd definitely go with the Iron Hands angle. Have you thought of just using the Iron Hands' chapter symbol and painting it a different colour? Black, maybe?
Or red, since the AdMech loves it so much?
>>
>>49867324
Maybe after an unknown founding, a well regarded Iron Hands Captain was allowed to start a chapter, and his home world was my chapters original home?

>>49867375
Im not a big fan of the Iron Hands chapter symbol, personally.
>>
>>49867391
Fair enough.
>>
>>49867391
This home would be the forgeworld you talked about?

Alright, so founded by some Iron Hands bigwig as a minor chapter, and got too ambitious for their own good during the Reign of Blood?

Is there still bad blood between them and other chapters (despite official amnesty), or has all been forgiven? Perhaps a big motivator is that they feel like they need to prove themselves again after that humiliation. A little like the Lamentors, but more pride than guilt.
>>
>>49867391

Sorry, meant that for you.
>>
>>49867502
Yep, his home world would be the forge world.

Im not the most informed when it comes to the Reign of Blood, so I wouldnt really know what chapters theyd have bad blood with.
>>
File: THUNDERDEATH.png (155KB, 820x436px) Image search: [Google]
THUNDERDEATH.png
155KB, 820x436px
>>49863021
>>49863051
>>49866637

Thanks for the input. I tried implementing all the suggestions and then turned to the creation tables. Wound up getting endangered Raven Guard successors from the 21st founding.
>>
>>49868355
Maybe go with three lighting bolts? It's a bit... swastika at the moment.
>>
File: Space Doggers 2nd company.png (2MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Space Doggers 2nd company.png
2MB, 3000x3000px
Some of my friends and I had a competition to make the most autistic space marine legion ever, and I won it. By stealing some /tg/ writefaggotry on the SW, I made the space doggers. Future slavs that settled a moon during the Dark age of Technology, and became the main space marine legion recruitment after the 23rd founding. With the autistic geneseed mutation that turns them into an ancient terran animal, it was clear that I won the autism challenge. How did I do?
>>
File: Just_as_i_planned.jpg (12KB, 447x388px) Image search: [Google]
Just_as_i_planned.jpg
12KB, 447x388px
>>49868378
If you think about it, it could be justified for why the chapter is endangered.
>>
>>49868512
this looks like The Hanged...
>>
My Imperial Guard is recruited from a Mining World where everything is under the control of a single corporation.
I have problems deciding on the color.

I was thinking Light Grey/white armor with the Left Shoulder Pad Orange, Urban Camo Fatigues
>>
>>49869333
I think the colour scheme you proposed will work, and turn out great.
>>
>>49862411
After some thought, I've decided to rename their home world "Dachaigh", make them a division instead of a regiment and I've come up with an explanation of why they like tanks so much.
I've also adjusted the recruitment process.
Every adult man is conscripted into the Planetary Defense Force and are then able to volunteer to join the division.
If not enough people volunteer to pay the annual tithe, they run a lottery to meet the requirement.

I need some help with the name.
What do you call a division of farmers who worship tanks and get their equipment through unorthodox means?
>>
>>49871274
The "tractor hounds"?
>>
File: Radiant Legion.png (39KB, 201x281px) Image search: [Google]
Radiant Legion.png
39KB, 201x281px
Is this colorscheme alright, or already used?
>>
File: noice.png (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
noice.png
28KB, 500x500px
>>49871632
Fuck, that's pretty good.
Especially since the foundation of their tank worship is that they remind them of their tractors back home.
>>
>>49871652
Holy shit that looks like something from Gundam.

I approve.
>>
I've actually been typing up a big old history for them. I someday want to assemble a whole regiment of them, even though the standard size of an imperial guard regiment makes that unlikely.

Anyways

The Ermelian 33rd Armored Regiment "Poltergeists"

Ermelia is an industrial world in the Segmentum Pacificus, but most of the soldiers it provides in its tithes are not from Ermelia, but from the moon of a gas giant further out in the system, called E.6-5.

This moon is a celestial junkyard, filled to the core with ancient junk of all sorts, from tanks to recaff brewers to art sculptures.

Once, a long time ago, a Magos of the Adeptus Mechanicus led an expedition to find rare technology on E.6-5, in particular a piece of archeotech said to turn back time, but after only a scant few months spent helping the native population set up bases for the purpose of exploring deeper into the dangerous, horror filled depths of the moon, the Magos suddenly called off the expedition and picked up and left.

A few techpriests were suspicious of this, and feigned their deaths exploring in the abyss in order to stay behind with some of their acolytes. They traded their secret residence for development of the natives' technology and manufacturing capabilities, helping them reconstruct water condensors, food algae growers, and other such things needed for growth, before turning their attention to reassembling the ancient wargear into forms familiar to them; scrap constructed facsimiles of Leman Russes and Lasguns.

This continued for nearly a thousand years, as the people of E.6-5 grew and conquered their layer of the moon, and the cult of the Omnissiah expanded with them.

1/2
>>
>>49873218

2/3

Eventually, the system governor of Ermelia, Kranz Fertug, found out about this rogue operation, and saw great potential. Using the people of this wayward moon and their reassembled gear, along with supplements from his planet's own factories, he could substantially boost his tithes and standing with the sector governor with little effort to himself or increased quotas or recruitment from his own planet.

So Kranz delivered an ultimatum to the people of E.6-5. Provide a tithe of their own to him, or be accused of tech-heresy. The moon's authorities folded with little effort, and soon most of Ermelia's armored and mechanized units were made up of people from E.6-5 instead of Ermelia.

E.6-5's people were skilled in armored and mechanized maneuvers, particularly in hit and fade attacks and infiltration; independently working armored units were necessary in the bowels of the moon, where terrible beasts required heavy firepower from haphazardly manufactured tanks, and where communications were usually spotty if existent at all; raiders of the depths were forced to learn to strike quickly and hard, and to never stop moving, and to never count on backup arriving.

The draw of troops and equipment from E.6-5 demanded by Kranz Fertug also halted expansion deeper into the depths of the junk moon, at a time where the tech priests thought that the elusive artifact the Magos was hunting for was just within reach...
>>
>>49873268
3/3

The 33rd Armored Regiment won its fame during the evacuation of Neuga-4, where a break off of Hive Fleet Leviathan had assaulted an imperial planet. By the time the 33rd arrived, most of the planet's surface was taken and it was declared a loss; estimates gave the Imperial forces little more than a week to evacuate. The 33rd went into action, and with infiltrating and despoiling attacks practiced against the monstrosities of the tunnels of their home, a miracle was wrought, giving the Imperial forces three weeks to evacuate, more than double what they had anticipated.

The 33rd were the last to be evacuated, and their heroism had a terrible price; of the regiment, only two hundred and thirty were evacuated. These two hundred and thirty were spirited home and given the hero's welcome, and the 33rd was reformed.

The 33rd's next test would be during the reconquest of the Fyenn system, where imperial seperatists threatened the rule of the appointed governor. The 33rd's teeth were cut in these campaigns, forming a hardened core of veterans around an even more elite core of survivors of the two hundred and thirty from Neuga-4. The most prestigious of Ermelia's regiments, the governor now hesitates to send them to the most dangerous fronts where they are needed, fearing losing his most decorated troops...

I'd appreciate it if anybody could help me lore-check this to fill in gaps or things that shouldn't be. I know that, for example, troops don't go home basically ever and are normally combined into new units, but I figured this would have been a special favor for the system governor.
>>
>>49872574
I'll take that as being a good thing, thanks bud.
>>
>>49871652

Are they Khornate or undivided? Getting mixed signals
>>
>>49874004
Essentially, reasonable Khornates based on an old Khorne Berserker character of mine.
I'm trying to figure them out as is, but mostly I've wanted them to focus on rebuilding the World Eaters, while being proud, arrogant sons of bitches who will admit no wrong on their own part while having sworn vengeance on Angron and Khorne in spite of remaining dedicated to Khorne.
>>
>>49869333
What color would said urban be? Greys, Blues?
>>
>>49863363

I don't envy you trying to freehand that onto anything. Might want to use transfers.
>>
Mine was the 51st Veloran "Hellhound" Light Mechanized

Mainly focused on overbearing numbers with weapons support being provided by armored sentinels (originally regular sents), the rare Russ, and hellhounds.

Back when I originally started collecting I took Grenadiers, CQC drill, and I can't recall what else, if there was a option for a third.

Infantry used muted blue's and black's, but fluff wise they would try to adapt to the flora of the planet they were deployed too. Armored units would have a urban tiger stripe camo.

Basically the fluff I had for them, they were a world recently rediscovered, had just enough production while they were lost to produce light vehicles, and infantry wargear. I made one custom unit called the Jagdmera (Original I know) that they were using in place of proper battle tanks.

Battle doctrine was typical footslogging with veterans and Stormtroopers being used to break a hole in the line or outflank and draw fire from the main elements.

I've been out of 40k for about 5 years, but I've been looking at getting back into it even though I have no where to play.

I'd take any suggestion for redesign.
>>
File: red_by_noldofinve-d4s6vg9.jpg (990KB, 2100x896px) Image search: [Google]
red_by_noldofinve-d4s6vg9.jpg
990KB, 2100x896px
>>49861198
I think I've decided on a name, thanks to: >>49861418
I like the sound of Star Wardens.

I'm still trying to decide on a colour scheme. I've always liked the look of a solid colour for the body (with some trim differences) and a helmet in a completely different, contrasting colour. The 30k Word Bearer scheme comes to mind (pic related).

Obviously I'm not going to simply copy the WB colours, and I know I don't want to use blue at all, but apart from that I'm not sure where to go with it.
>>
>>49875666
If I may make a suggestion at all, it's that maybe you should GM Fiat the units into being "Motorized," instead of "Light Mechanized," but only in terms of how they get there.

There's literally nothing wrong with how they fight. To be honest I think it's kind of cool. Good ol' fashioned foot infantry with a lot of weapon support (Grenadiers is a good choice for that even if they aren't "Grenadiers," by general Imperial doctrine). And the idea of most of their fire support coming from lighter vehicles like Sentinels and specialist AFVs built off the Chimera is intriguing.

But if their fluff is that they can only produce light stuff, why are the infantry walking everywhere when trucks exist? I'm by no means suggesting they should fight from the trucks, but there's no reason that they can't use those thin-skinned vehicles to get them from Point A to Point B so they can dismount and fight as they were trained, fresh and ready to go. Maybe have it so they're trained to not rely on them, but players will appreciate having them when they're there.

Also I have a suggestion for your "Jadgmera." Seems like it's supposed to basically just be a tank destroyer, right? But if I may, why is it a thing when armored Sentinels are there? Sentinels have lascannon, autocannon, and if you're willing to break from Only War rules and allow something had by other regiments (Elysians, for example), you can put multi-meltas on them. Between the lascannon and (potential) multi-meltas alone you have a LOT of anti-armor capability. So why make a new vehicle for it?

If you want to keep the vehicle though, I'd suggest--to keep with your theme of light vehicles, and also because you haven't given us stats--that you just take the Salamander chassis and have your Guard mount lascannon on it. Maybe a pair and have it be twin-linked. Fluff the vehicle as something of their anti-armor pride and joy, but it only works because of a liberal Mechanicus presence with the regiment.
>>
>>49875666
>>49875952
My commentary regarding the armament of the Sentinels was assuming Only War rules. Sorry, should have specified.
>>
>>49875952
>>49875975
Well originally, if my memory is correct, Chimeras were fuck off expensive points wise for the tabletop. I honestly never thought about calling them Motorized I'll make that change. And I'll decently note down the trucks.

And I came up with the Jagdmera in a time before armored sents existed in the core book, so I wanted something a bit "tankier" than just 10/10/10 chicken walkers.

Stats were something like 14/11/10, Upper chassis, and a fixed Vanquisher cannon (When it was ForgeWorld rulebooks only)

I really want to play Only War, but I don't know anyone willing to play, and I'm not comfy with being a GM.

But thanks mate!
>>
>>49876178
No problem. Unfortunately not a lot of my commentary works on the wargame, it was pretty /40krpg/-centric. So take it with a grain of salt about as large as those threads.

Regarding the name, I'd only suggest actually using "Motorized," if you are planning on using the trucks in their fluff. I didn't have space to add it in my initial comment, but in modern parlance "Motorized," units are units that use ground vehicles to get to combat, but those vehicles don't actually support them when the fighting starts. This typically means trucks, but some forces like the British have started to use it to mean APCs without weapons. So the original American M113 would have qualified as Motorized instead of Mechanized, because they only fought with their infantry if some plucky commander actually used the pintle-mounted .50 meant for self-defense.

As far as the Jagd with the Vanquisher goes: I don't want to sound dismissive but it might be better to replace that with twin-linked lascannons or something. Unless you intend every lost Jagd where the guys aren't able to get the weapon back after battle to be a tragedy in itself; which it will be since unfortunately GW only wrote ONE planet (out of billions? Who does that?) that makes a super-dope space-88mm. You could always say that your guys get their supply from another planet that makes a Vanquisher knock-off, but you might want to come up with some lore to explain why and how. And in any case, twin-linked lascannon are way easier to get from a logistics standpoint, especially if your boys are fighting on the other side of the galaxy from where that planet makes its knock-off Vanquishers.
>>
>>49876320
Oh. I was familiar with the term motorized, I just thought it died out with APC's coming to the front.

And it wouldn't be anything to just add it in since I'm basically starting over, just using a shell. And not to mention I already had to change it when I couldn't give Carapace to my Platoons (unless thats changed again)

And honestly I'll probably drop the chimera thing as the latest Guard book I played with had the Leman Russ Vanquisher (not sure about it in the newest rule book).
>>
>>49876608
>I just thought it died out with APCs coming to the front
I thought the same for a while. Recent research for a thesis showed me that the term just evolved. Nowadays it's a fancy way of saying "Mechanized, except the APC in question doesn't have good enough weapons--or any at all--to justify it fighting with its infantry."
>>
>>49876608
You can give carapace to veteran squads. You can't get it for proper platoons but you could bullshit a number of vet squads and a company command into a fake platoon.
>>
Anyone have a name or specialty suggestion for a hippie-inspired tie-dye slaaneshi CSM band? The idea is that they were a chapter of warrior-philosophers who were too philosopher and not enough warrior for the Imperium with a geneseed mutation (synthaesia?) that made them easy prey for the Lord of Excess
>>
File: IMG_1508.jpg (117KB, 801x672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1508.jpg
117KB, 801x672px
>pic related its my photogenically challenged dreadnaut Morphaeus

I already have a color scheme for my dudes that I'm quite pleased with (except for the fact I can't figure out how it should apply to my dreadnaut) I have quite a bit of lore developed too but its the kind of lore I know I have to run by other 40kers or my Mary-Sue tourettes will rage out of control

Even after having played since 3ed I haven't settled on a chapter name I like. They’re not actually a chapter per se but an integral part of the 25th Expeditionary Fleet which got separated from human space before the Horus kerfuffle. I’ve either been calling them the 25th (which isn’t quite accurate because the “chapter” is only a major component of the 25th not the entirety of it) or the [Redacted] for reasons the lore will make clear (and for the lulz)

--Fluff: the 25th Expeditionary Fleet is a crusader fleet that, during the crusade, unwittingly got stuck in the Eldar webway because some darkies thought the look on the craftworlder’s faces when they ran into a mon’keigh fleet would be fucking hilarious. Not having any clue where the fuck they were the 25th rampaged around through the webway until eventually, more through luck than planning, they successfully exited the webway. They immediately discovered they had a Starfleet Voyager problem in that they'd come out on the far side of the galaxy (I mean can’t even detect the astronomicon far). They were pretty bummed about this however at this point a particularly desperate farseer from a small and rather hard-put craftworld had A Really Good Idea.
>>
File: 13qEumw.png (157KB, 481x394px) Image search: [Google]
13qEumw.png
157KB, 481x394px
>>
>>49874131

Well I'd be interested to hear more! Sounds great
>>
File: dood2.png (14KB, 201x281px) Image search: [Google]
dood2.png
14KB, 201x281px
>pic related: its my d00ds obviously superior color scheme

--Said farseer’s craftworld managed to eventually establish some non-bolter related means of interaction with the 25th fleet and a deal was struck, the Eldar would give the fleet access to the webway to make their return to the Alpha Quadrant and in exchange the fleet would follow all inter-webway directions to the letter and maybe on the way take care of some minor problems the craftworld had been having. This resulted in the 25th fleet being used as this minor craftworld's own personal wrecking-ball for several centuries (at least). Eventually however the 25th fleet realized the eldar would use the "webway is fractured you must make some out-of-webway portages to next gate" excuse to use them as attack dogs forever.

--After centuries with little choice but to keep stomping the fuck out of anyone on the minor craftworld’s shit list the 25th was able to exploit a dispute between their “partner” craftworld and another eldar faction (cant decide which fits best with eldar cannon). This other craftworld (or darky sect or harlequin band or whatever) was pretty not-cool with this minor craftworld, who’d previously been everybody’s favorite bitch, suddenly using a bunch of gullible simians to kill the shit out of anybody who doesn’t do what they want or who used to pick on them. Even worse this pissant craftworld was full of race-traitors who were letting a huge goddamn fleet of filthy mon’keigh into the segregated super-snazzy space elves-only webway.
>>
File: redacted.png (12KB, 239x337px) Image search: [Google]
redacted.png
12KB, 239x337px
>>49878222

>pic related: I'm not totally sure how my scheme should work with termies either

Either through the direct assistance of this other Eldar faction or simply through the fortunes of war the 25th fleet was able to locate and attack the minor craftworld itself. Not only had this already weak craftworld been using the 25th as guard dogs instead of doing any of their own fighting for centuries the 25th had become inordinately accomplished at boarding and capturing enemy vessels. As a result the marines of the 25th went through the elder defenders like shit through a gose and actually managed to capture the minor craftworld outright albeiut at great cost.

Rather than simply killing all of the elder and blowing up their craftworld the forces of the 25th stopped and offered the elder terms, most unsavory terms.
1: The Fleet was taking the infinity circuit from their destroyed craftworld as well as all dat soulstone,
2: The surviving eldar were going to incorporate the craftworld’s infinity circuit into their 25 fleet’s mobile space station.
3: The surviving farseers were henceforth bound to use their powers in the service of the 25th fleet and at its direction (the farseers were able to haggle for some restrictions in what this service would entail).
4: In exchange for the craftworld’s survivors’ compliance with these terms the 25th fleet graciously agreed not to make Slaneesh (who the humans, secretly, don’t even believe in because they’re civilized folk raised with the Imperial Truth) a nice elder soul spread sammich by destroying every soulstone/infinity circuit in the craftworld.
>>
File: IMG_1448.jpg (143KB, 754x863px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1448.jpg
143KB, 754x863px
>>49878248

>pic related: am I the only one who thinks the black with blue trim is badass as all hell? (sadly my clumsy ass hands have trouble with them teeny eye lenses)

And so the fleet gained navigators who could direct them through the webway. Unfortunately if a fleet of dirty primates cruising around in the webway as lackeys of a minor craftworld was an outrageous scandal that same fleet traveling the webway at will with the aid of craftworld prisoners was the most horrifying thing elder-kind would ever go through until Taldeer ran off with sniper Harambe.

Thus instead of swiftly space-elfing their way back to the Emperor’s turf the 25th fleet had to sneak through the webway in short jaunts when they could afford to risk it at all and cover the rest of the distance like all the other plebians did.

The fleet finally reemerged into human space which they were eager to see as surely the crusade must have been finished by now and they could enjoy the fruits of universal human compliance and the fruits of the emperor's long struggles.

Unfortunately their first contact with the Imperium of the 41st millennium resulted in very much "Praise Horus, we’ve finally returned... what? why y’all looking at me like that?" as well as a whole lot of "Horus did WHAT!" and finally and almost as significantly a tremendous amount of horrification and accusations of "Recursive, terribly terribly ironic, Heresy!"

Seeing a backwards superstitious Imperium which had essentially outlawed rational thought/critical thinking and compelled by their sense of duty to the lamentably indisposed Big E the fleet decided they had a duty to save mankind,

Realizing that calmly explaining that not only was the emperor not a god the whole crusade thing was originally carried out to save man from that sort of thing would result in much Blam! and having spent enough time dealing with eldar that they were much better liars than most astartes the fleet embarked on The Scheme.
>>
>>49878314
>pic related: am I the only one who thinks the black with blue trim is badass as all hell? (sadly my clumsy ass hands have trouble with them teeny eye lenses)

It looks fine. I know someone will go >thin your paints, but they're not grey and they're better than 90% of players stuff(mine included). But I will agree the Termies need a lot more blue on them.
>>
File: IMG_1357.jpg (686KB, 2304x2030px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1357.jpg
686KB, 2304x2030px
>>49878314

>pic related: the scheme is pretty solid on my vehicles I think (none of you see anything odd about the tail-fins NOTHING!)

Further explanation of the plan requires explanation of the fleets organization etc following their millenia of eldrich shenanigans:

--Crusader fleets though large, powerful, and largely autonomous weren't actually 100% self contained which resulted in many lean years during which their prospects looked bleaker and bleaker. The cultural and organizational barriers between the fleets branches such as the astartes, the mechanicum, the imperial army, the iterators and so on gradually eroded as circumstances forced the fleet to operate more and more as a single integrated organism. This process was greatly fostered, spearheaded even, by the person they regard as their savior and spiritual founder.
>>
File: IMG_1487 - Copy (5).jpg (60KB, 374x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1487 - Copy (5).jpg
60KB, 374x360px
>Some specialists get different trim colors

>>49878363
Thinning your paints is for girls! Real men field blob-y models.

>>49878367

--Shortly after a disastrous battle when the fleet was beset by constant fierce attack from eldar outraged at their hapless presence in the webway the fleet's commander, the Astartes Captain leading the Astartes detachments of several legions was killed as were many other vital fleet personnel. A sense of despair, of hopelessness came over the fleet. Their supplies were depleted, so many trained and skilled personnel had died that their seemed little hope they would maintain the technical and organizational skills to even function, and they had realized they were so far from home none of them would likely survive to see compliant space again. This is when the fleet's chief iterator decided for herself that the fleet as it was could not survive and must reinvent itself and be reborn as a different kind of fleet. She marched to her vessel’s bridge browbeat her way onto the vox channels and PAs of the entire fleet and gave an inspiring, persuasive, speech the likes of which would have made Kyril Synderman cry and declare himself a talentless hack. She argued that they must set aside their current customs, organizations, even laws and do what they had to do to return to the Imperium. There were millions of human beings aboard the vessels of the fleet and the Emperor who had embarked on his great crusade to save as much of mankind as possible from death and misery would expect them to defend and better their own lives and the lives of each other as much as those of the inhabitants of any lost colony. They must not only live on but return to their emperor stronger, smarter, and better than they had left. If their own judgment as humans enlightened by His Great Secular Truth could not be trusted to chose the right path and make their own decisions when motivated by his holy cause then why would the Emperor desire to save mankind at all?
>>
File: IMG_1456 - Copy.jpg (51KB, 342x411px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1456 - Copy.jpg
51KB, 342x411px
>Exitus rifle shexidus rifle

>>49878421

Emboldened by this philosophy the fleet made radical changes to survive, gene-seed was distributed and new Astartes created not merely to create warriors but to ensure the survival of advanced skill sets and important talents. Soon all tech-priests were techmarines who'd been chosen not on physical prowess or zealous devotion to the Omnisiah but on mechanical prowess. Gene seed was (carefully) tinkered to allow older individuals to survive the change leading to talented iterators, skilled administrators, even particularly beloved remembrancers joining the ranks of the Astartes, though never comprising more than a small fraction of their number. Such talented individuals living centuries and boasting the enhanced capabilities, not all of which were purely martial, of an astartes ensured the survival of complex advanced skill sets, allowed the few exceptional geniuses that occasionally arose within humanity to live longer taking their accomplishments to greater heights, and created a space marine "chapter" far more innovative and open minded than was otherwise possible. The fleet created their own technological and organizational advancements, adopted alien techniques, technologies, and behaviors that they felt would be of benefit, and many other "heretical" practices until eventually to them the only heresy was accusing someone actively benefiting the fleet of heresy.

Naturally such an organization, which would have been deemed dangerous and subversive even in the 30th century, would make the head of even the most liberal inquisitor fucking explode and as a result the 25th Expeditionary Fleet has had to adapt itself to survive yet again and have adopted a number of policies and behaviors since their return to humanity.
>>
File: IMG_1404.jpg (281KB, 1426x1198px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1404.jpg
281KB, 1426x1198px
>Combat Iterator Dawkins's arm hates the rest of him (and me)

>>49878453

1: LIE: Lie strategically, lie tactically, lie constantly, and lie well
They pretend to be as religiously dogmatic as they feel is necessary to avoid suspicion from whoever they're dealing with. Where they're unlikely to be snitched on or their pitch is unlikely to be discerned as heresy they promulgate an interpretation of the Imperial Cult’s teaching that is as close to rational as can be achieved. Most commoners on common agriworlds assume the word of an astartes is as close to a direct pronouncement from the Emperor's own lips as they are likely to ever hear. There is a great deal of assuring citizens that "The Emperor helps those who help themselves."
A good example of the subversive notions the 25th peddles to anyone not regularly audited by the ecchlesiarchy is the following:

A: It is heresy to suffer the xenos to live.
B: This tau gizmo Battle-Brother Apriori started fiddling with, though of course filthy and hateful, seems like it might be diddling with the target acquisition of some of those motherfucking missile-pods.
C: Diddling with the target acquisition of some of those motherfucking missile-pods enables all the good little astartes and guardsmen to murderize a larger number of weeaboo space commies than if the commie-weeb missile pods were to go un-diddled.
D: Therefore, obviously, it would be foulest fucking make-the-Emperor-cry HERESY for Brother Apriori not to fiddle with that filthy-evil-bad-bad-definitely-very-bad xenos gizmo. In fact, you folks wouldn’t happen to have any filthy hateful xenos-tech stashed away somewhere it might not be helping kill xenos would you?
>>
File: IMG_1379.jpg (235KB, 1089x995px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1379.jpg
235KB, 1089x995px
>those aren't my combat iterator

>>49878490

2: Move around constantly and change what you call yourselves when you do.
The inquisition can't blam! you if they don't know where you are and it doesn't matter if X chapter has been declared excommunicate traitoris if everyone thinks you are Y chapter. On more than one occasion inquisitors attempting to purge them have unwittingly requested their aid in finding and purging themselves. They can paint new heraldry on all their shit at the drop of a hat.

Rather than dispatching a company here and a company there they move as a giant fleet, the crusader fleet + several millenia of additions/repairs (they're kind of like Mass Effect Quarians) One of their vessels is a mobile space station they built themselves from a nickel-iron asteroid, it houses most all of their industrial and administrative capacity. Capable of totally overhauling a strike cruiser even building new ones though it takes an inordinate amount of time. (at one point in my planning they were going to use the seized minor craftworld as space-station but that seemed a bit too Mary-Sue even for me)

Due to their reorganization and whatever-works philosophies the mechanicum portion of the fleet has been completely subsumed/incorporated into the overall fleet.

The main fleet travels through imperial space with a few forerunner ships scouting nearby systems. The Heart of the fleet never stops in inhabited imperial systems as that would make it easier to track down.

The fleet scans for transmissions for help from systems facing some sort of large scale attack, systems whose pleas for help aren't likely to be answered by anyone else in the Imperium.
>>
File: IMG_1405.jpg (686KB, 2905x1746px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1405.jpg
686KB, 2905x1746px
>back in 4rth ed. this clumsily modified uggo was an invincible killing machine. (his foil adamantine mantle fell off

>>49878516

After scouting the planet in question to make sure they actually can deal with the threat almost the entire marine strength of the fleet (13 strike cruisers, a battleship, some fleet cruisers, and a single battle-barge) along with their guard auxiliary legion (formerly their attached imperial army detachment) scream into the system just as the defenders think all is lost and play the Big Damn Heroes to the hilt.

After having saved the day they make a concerted effort to solidify the planet’s view of them as A+ #1 saviors and pretty cool guys. They use this time to subtly try and shift the people's culture/society/ecclesiasty closer towards something more rational and less dogmatic.

Typically the planet's inhabitants will fall all over themselves offering the fleet supplies etc which, though they have become fully self sufficient, they take and use typically as trade goods to further solidify their own strength. They, or rather a detachment of their "techpriests"/techmarines, frequently will spend a couple of months helping particularly hard hit worlds rebuild because the more successful "right thinking" planets become the farther they can shift the Imperium as a whole towards rationality.

They do have relations with the mechanicum who they mooch equipment from in pretty much the same manner as most any other chapter. Early upon their triumphant return to compliant space they struck a deal with the mechanicum exchanging 2-3 STC fragments they had recovered over the millenia for what they would need to construct the newer equipment (thunderhawks, newer power armor and bolter patterns etc) they've invested considerable time and energy in this so they can fit in. Its hard to pass yourself off as John Q. Generi-chapter if you're fucking stormhawks and mk-IV power armor and shit.
>>
>>49878117
>>49878222
>>49878248
>>49878314
>>49878367
>>49878421
>>49878453
>>49878490
>>49878516
It's a nice, striking colour scheme, but you need to be a bit more careful doing the actual painting. Thin your paints, slow down, use washed, and highlight carefully.
>>
File: IMG_1359.jpg (408KB, 1537x1473px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1359.jpg
408KB, 1537x1473px
>Sheila here was so storied at my local store players disliked having to try and destroy her

>>49878587

They've established relations with a large number of Astartes chapters many of whom they are pleased to discover do still remember the Imperial Truth but like them are keeping it on the down-low. While many of these chapters get on quite well with the fleet (some even assisting them in their constant deception of the inquisition) other chapters are of a more purge-on-site persuasion.

Shortly after their return they actually had an all-out war with the Imperial Fists after they tried to pass off their station as the Phalanx and when word of this got to the real Imperial Fists they went "What do you mean you saw us in the XYZ system? We haven't been there." When the IF investigated they found a "chapter" using stormbirds and a suspiciously large number of Mk IV suits of power armor and reached the inevitable conclusion "THESE SMARMY, ENTIRELY TOO EASY TO GET ALONG WITH BASTARDS ARE ACTUALLY.... THE ALPHA LEGION!"

Eventually they were able to convince the IF that they really weren't traitor marines and the IF backed off but relations are still strained. The fists harbor the suspicion that the fleet may have harvested some of their gene seed from fallen IF (their suspicions are justified).

Since they are really good liars and constantly rebrand themselves they actually have terrific relations with the ecclesiasty (ecclesiarchy?) (most chapters are too proud to show bishops etc what the church considers the proper respect, but the Combat Iterators (their version of chaplains) of the fleet marines will turn obsequious and fawning at the drop of a hat. It helps that they adopted a practice from the Sororitas: upon seeing the moral impact a convent of sisters singing in unison while kicking ass had on common guardsmen they adopted the practice. They're also comfortable with a good ol' fashioned under-the-table bribe.
>>
File: IMG_1478.jpg (41KB, 226x296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1478.jpg
41KB, 226x296px
>Battle-Brother Chacky Janus (honor guard elite, has special rule "My kung fu is superior" counts as twin power swords, frag grenades, krak grenades, melta bombs, bolter, and bolt pistol (he flips through the air, kicks the baddie and flips back)

>>49878634
ug the rest of my lore doc is not yet in an easily 4chaned format, I think i'll wait to see if anyone actually reads any of this before slaying that particular dragon (though its where I get to the army's GW mandated grimdark aspects
>>
>>49875114
Grey base, with spot of brown and black
>>
File: spacemarine2.jpg (45KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
spacemarine2.jpg
45KB, 400x500px
>>49860853

Void Knights.

Fleet based chapter with a mysterious and fake past (hiding some major heresy) that follow the codex astartes but in practice behave more like Black Templars.

They're usually seen as part of bigger imperial fleets, crusading or doing any other imperial chore.

They're overtly religious and think of the Emperor as a God or Christ-like figure. They praise both Sebastian Thor and Sanguinius as saints, and are in very good terms with the Ordo Hereticus and the SoB.

This however is contrasted by the fact that the Ordo Malleus secretly surveys the chapter because of their past, fearing it will again repeat its mistakes. Because the Void Knights are so religious, they dont think demons and chaos are real, but rather perversions and warpings of the mind. This makes them hate chaos but at the same time be more succeptible to its trickery.

Nobody in the chapter knows about this past. The only one or two marines thad do subjected themselves to mind-whipes, just as the Red Hunters do.

They're a great asset for the Imperium because they usually escort mechanicum exploratory fleets or large diplomatic fleets, although they seem to be mistrustful of Rogue Traders.

Basically Black Templars that follow the Codex organization.

Symbol is Novamarines' with red halo and silver skull

Chapter Tactics are varied, as I try to follow my own story based on games I play. I'm considering adapting each company to a specific chapter tactic.
>>
>>49879710
Honestly it is nice to see a chapter whose thing is providing secure escort. Its an important strategic role that I almost never see marines doing. Sometimes fleets need to go somewhere dangerous.

in the IRL the Templars were founded expressly for the purpose of protecting pilgrims to the holy land (though they did eventually shift towards what might be considered "relentless preemption)

typical marine: "Protecting something? Screw protecting the Imperium and its peoples, we're gonna go attack the first xenos we can find. Defense is for nerds!" (that's right Imperial Fists, he said it)

Void Knights: doing the job other marines all think they're too cool for.

also its such a cool/setting appropriate name for a chapter I kind of cant believe I haven't seen it used before
>>
File: 000completedcharachterillo000.jpg (1MB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
000completedcharachterillo000.jpg
1MB, 1240x1754px
Rolled 52, 37 = 89 (2d100)

>>49861418
>>49861498
>>
>>49873218
armored companies are the worst thing ever and I hate them. Anyone who plays them should be ashamed of themselves and needs to know I think they're a bad person; decent folk don't behave in such a manner.

tl;dr an armored company once molested me so traumatically I'm still salty about that game ten years later.
>>
>>49880262
That's how I feel about pure Knight armies.
>>
Been fluffing a little bit.

From space, the agri-world of Dachaigh looks like a bright golden pearl floating in the north east of the Segmentum Tempestus.
Once you get into the atmosphere, the planets surface starts looking like a plaid picnic blanket. A field something that would remind 3rd millennia humans of wheat covers the planets entire surface with a grid of railway lines separating the planet wide field into squares that the inhabitants call "plots".

The northern hemisphere has an industrialized city large enough to be seen from space which the creative Dachaighians have dubbed "Capital".

Capital exists as a port city that gathers the planets harvest and supplies the Imperium with it's [plant name goes here].

The workshops in Capital runs maintenance on the planets trains and produces agricultural tools for the farmers.

1/?
>>
>>49880307
The residential area of Capital houses the noble caste who own the plots.
Politics are simple. Plot owners vote on every issue that comes up, one plot equals one vote.
Capital also houses a weather machine which lets the nobles keep the humidity, rain frequency and locations optimal.

2/?
>>
File: IMG_1388.jpg (857KB, 2473x2110px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1388.jpg
857KB, 2473x2110px
>>49861198
Hmmm those unit limitations are interesting, they're not well equipped to assault hard targets or close quarters slugging matches.

on the other hand given how many rhinos a standard codex chapter can field you could be looking at a fully mechanized chapter. I would want land raiders for that but they could go in a white-scarish direction and rely on super mobility to negate the need for heavy armor.

how do they feel about bikes and jump-packs? more than typical, less than typical.

Oh man that would be a fun chapter concept, a hit and run specialist chapter that instead of emphasizing assault uses a ball ton of rhinos and tons of predators to put devastators and predators where they can use their heavy weapons to savage enemy positions from outside of small arms range then pack up and be gone before the enemy can bring their own heavy weapons to bear or close close enough to engage with small arms fire. an entire army of shoot and scoot
>>
>>49880419
The weather machine goes by the slightly more creative name "Demeter" and is almost equivalent to the emperor as a deity on Dachaigh.

The peasant caste pray to the emperor as well as Demeter before every meal.

Peasants villages built on the edge of every plot work the field every day and take great pride in their work.

The population is low relative to the planets size, the peasants are hardy and the plot villages have strong and tight knit communities.

Much of the field work is done by hand with the exception of the work done by the tractors.

Every plot village own at least one communal tractor to assist in field work.
These tracked behemoths are treated with great respect and care by their villages. The life of a peasant is completely in the hands of their tractor and Demeter.

3/?
>>
>>49880555
The restrictions are inspired by the Advantage/Disadvantage system from the 4e codex. I'm still not entirely sure how I'm going to run them, but that is certainly one of primary options.
I love jump packs and like bikes in concept, but I'm not really a fan of the current bike models.
>>
File: eldar moe.jpg (81KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
eldar moe.jpg
81KB, 400x400px
bump
>>
>>49880307
>>49880419
>>49880714
So... is this fluff for an IG regiment?
What are they like?
>>
>>49861418
>>49861498
50 + 95 (4d10)

I feel like Iron Zephyrs are already taken.
>>
>>49861418
> Damn it Bloody Blood!
>>
Haven't really chosen a name for them or a color scheme yet but I made em' for the kit bashes I could do.

>Blood angel successors that are a crusading chapter
>Death Company is called The Lost
>Sanguinary Guard are known as the Blood Guard
>Use shock and awe mixed with terror tactics
>Chapter master known as Abhorash the Red
>Chapter believes that drinking the blood of strong foes will slate the red thirst and actively seek strong foes.
>Important chapter members who are close to succumbing to the red thirst are interred in dreadnoughts which for some reason sake their thirst.

Really just wanted an excuse to kit bash VC stuff with a space marine army.
>>
>>49882919
Yeah.

The living conditions on their home world explains their love for tanks, tendency to treat machines as family, their slight pacifism, their incompatibility to serve with guardsmen from other planets and so on.
>>
File: THUNDERDEATH.png (194KB, 1219x520px) Image search: [Google]
THUNDERDEATH.png
194KB, 1219x520px
>>49863363
Used this template to write up a short backstory for THUNDER DEATH
>>
>>49869082
TAKE
>>
>>49885266

Dont like the lightning swastika.

Too thin and small.

How about four lightings going down diagonally from the lower side of a bigger skull, and then perhaps half an iron halo as a crown for that skull?
>>
File: Terminator test.jpg (59KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
Terminator test.jpg
59KB, 400x500px
>>49880178

They previously had a jade aquila, not sure how that will work.

They still deploy as a chapter but they're more or less the armed forces of whatever group they're escorting.

Black ships, Imperial Navy, Big-ass pilgrimage fleets etc....

I think it's much more interesting than the regular space marines with a homeworld.
>>
How do you make your own chapter or regiment logo? Is there any program or something where you can bash something together?
>>
File: stardust titans1.png (196KB, 1600x723px) Image search: [Google]
stardust titans1.png
196KB, 1600x723px
I was bored and made a not-Titans chapter.
>>
File: 111111.png (34KB, 201x281px) Image search: [Google]
111111.png
34KB, 201x281px
>>49861021
How is mine? I based the Chapter after the heraldry of my surname, and while the standard for all marines is yriel yellow helm and pauldrons with black armor, white details and crimson fabric, marines are free to add their own personal heraldry. So it looks like this, but a knee for example can display their own house colors (which can be ornate as fuck).
>>
File: Radiant Legion 2.png (34KB, 201x281px) Image search: [Google]
Radiant Legion 2.png
34KB, 201x281px
>>49878193
Thanks bud, I appreciate it. I kind of am struggling with them, because I don't really want them to be just my character made into a warband but I don't really see how else to go about it. I suppose I'll post what I have for now and see what people can help me adjust about it.

Either way, the name I have for now is The Radiant Legion but I'm not really sure about that.
The Radiant Legion claims to be the only and true successors to the World Eaters and the Imperium in spite of their relative recent appearance in Imperial records. Engaging in frequent raids seemingly against any and all who oppose them, chaos and Imperial forces alike, they more often than not will abandon their current goals if given the chance to fight World Eater splinter groups or other Khorne aligned warbands because of their severe hatred towards Angron and Khorne who in their mind, defiled and annihilated the World Eaters as a legion.
In spite of being a relatively small warband by counting marines only, they frequently bolster their ranks with ordinary mortals whom they train to the utmost of marine discipline and mental fortitude with the end result that few survive fighting with the Radiant Legion for very long. Those who do are delegated to roles as officers, instructors, and advisors for the ordinary humans. A reason for this strict demand on the mortals is that the marines demand the strictest self control to distance themselves from the frothing rage of Angron and the berzerkers of the World Eaters.
>>
File: Radiant Legion 3.png (37KB, 201x281px) Image search: [Google]
Radiant Legion 3.png
37KB, 201x281px
>>49886357
Often found with ornately decorated power armor that emulates the colors of the old World Eaters they strive to make sure that everyone that everyone knows they alone are the true remnants of the Imperium and the World Eaters, deemind anyone who does not follow them traitors and renegades to be put down, often with the brutal force of an Adeptus Astartes who has pledged themselves to Khorne. They very rarely sport anything but token symbols of Chaos, almost as if to hide their association with the warp and its myriad of daemons which they frequently use to their own advantage be it summoning rituals or chaos weaponry. Not once will they admit to fouling themselves with anything of the sort.
When given to fighting the Radiant Legion often makes use of small squad tactics which they seem to have copied from the Codex Astartes and Guilliman's writings, even if they have over time introduced their own peculiar aspects to their strategies. The Marines will fight in small squads, each commanding their own subsquad of mortals which they direct as they see fit to support the squad as they strive to take out vital figures using the mortals as distractions to ensure their victory, often boasting relatively impressive victories in spite of often lacking equipment as is typical for a smaller warband.

Now what I don't like is the name, and I feel like what I've written about them can be a whole lot better. Could anyone offer suggestions?
>>
File: Placeholder symbol.png (29KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Placeholder symbol.png
29KB, 800x600px
>>49886366
I've been trying to come up with a symbol that matches their ideals as well, combining World Eater and 30k Imperium iconography as well but I'm having a hard time. Anyone got any ideas?
>>
File: spacemarine.jpg (75KB, 842x503px) Image search: [Google]
spacemarine.jpg
75KB, 842x503px
one arm, or both? thoughts aswell of course.
>>
>>49886378

I dunno about the whole symbol.

But Legion would definitely have to be in there if they were claiming to be the true World Eaters. So maybe.

The Legion of The Betrayed
The True Legion
Legion Exemptus
The Legion Redemptor

That's all I've got so far
>>
File: E67d7bb957dba81ff823ac150b6a17e4.jpg (194KB, 1240x837px) Image search: [Google]
E67d7bb957dba81ff823ac150b6a17e4.jpg
194KB, 1240x837px
>>49886072
I think that color scheme you've cooked up is pretty cool, its got that sort of straightforeward heraldic feel to it but instead of using the same "interior of shoulder pad in primary color, outside is trim color" type layout you chose colors for them as well as deciding for yourself on what was and wasn't trim.

>>49885546
>I think it's much more interesting than the regular space marines with a homeworld.

Oh totes fo sho my homeslizzle. Fleet based chapters are the slam diggidy.

not only are they way cooler than planet-based chapters 9/10 times, but I feel like most of the time they make more sense than chapters tied to one particular planet.

Don't get me wrong, for a lot of chapters like those tasked with guarding some particular area or serving as a bullwark between the imperium and some particular threat being based out of a static fortress makes a lot of sense and has a good bit of cool factor but a lot of the time it seem really forced, chapters that only recruit from one planet probably waste a hellofalotta time in transit, and either can't deploy to an active warzone in full force without leaving their center of operations, their primary armory/workshops/all the important shit you keep in your base unguarded or at least poorly guarded.

Furthermore chapters are gonna have to fight on planets with all kinds of different surface conditions and they're unlikely to be the same kind as the chapters homeworld. On the other hand every marine knows they're gonna do a lot of fighting in space so fleet based chapters specializations will more easily translate to different theaters.

Also it makes it much harder for the rest of the imperium to discipline you if the lords of Tera can't just drop surprise minotaurs on your homeworld.

The Crimson Fists learned the sub-optimal nature of being planet based when Ryns World got WAAAAAAGED, same with macragge.

Battle barges and strike cruisers rarely waaaaged! or hive fleeted

>pic related: Doing it right
>>
>>49884131
Sounds like good enough of an excuse man with good potential.

>>49886535
Personally I like the right one with just the one arm. Not entirely sure why.

>>49886866
Yeah I'm just not sure, I don't like the symbol either but I'm just hoping someone has a good idea for it.
>>
File: spacemarine.jpg (18KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
spacemarine.jpg
18KB, 400x500px
>>49887008
this is what ive been playing with, the above ones were my bad attempts at complimentary colors
>>
File: Pale Flash Line Up.png (276KB, 958x692px) Image search: [Google]
Pale Flash Line Up.png
276KB, 958x692px
Haven't got a clue what I'll end up naming 'em, and I'm open to suggestions.

General focus is on Rapid Dominance and Hammer and Anvil tactics. Lean quite heavily into tank hunting, typically looking to kill the enemy's command structure and heavy hitters as soon as possible, then mop up what ever is left.

Home Planet is a dusty barren shit hole, which they one day hope to restore to its former glory.
>>
File: 1425893338382.jpg (80KB, 605x605px) Image search: [Google]
1425893338382.jpg
80KB, 605x605px
>>49887656
are they a fan of biker honor guards with a ton of grav guns? (if that's still a thing)

what exactly do you mean by rapid dominance? Hammer and anvil is a term I recognize but not the other. I ask because hammer and anvil tactics aren't all that rapid as far as space marine operations go. Hammer and anvil tactics aren't very surgical either, rather than taking out commanders and strategic targets a succesful hammer and anvil crushes the main force of an enemy.

A drop pod assault: now there's a tactic thats good at destroying an enemy's command structure/other high value targets before the enemy can react. It also requires totally different units than hammer and anvil tactics (well maybe not totally)

fully mechanized blitz-type tactics could be considered rapid dominance and they would also be able to go hammer and anvil with only a few changes so a chapter wouldn't have any problemo fielding companies capable of doing either effectivly

>Home Planet is a dusty barren shit hole, which they one day hope to restore to its former glory.

Does this mean they're builders or engineers? Do they value the arts and culture?
Was its former glory its reputation as being THE barrenest dustiest shittiest hole but recently its people have been goin' soft?
>>
>>49887426
That's pretty dope, looks good senpai. Admittedly I'm not great at colors though
>>
File: 1426467639968.jpg (294KB, 904x558px) Image search: [Google]
1426467639968.jpg
294KB, 904x558px
>>49881741
4rth ed. was the marine codex with that first chapter customization section right? The one all my friends came to hate because it meant that in exchange for not using landspeeders (I think there was more to the drawbacks but I hardly noticed them honestly) my marines got furious charge AND true grit

>>49868378
I didn't see that at all until I read this now its ALL I see, sadly double lightning bolt is also gonna probably gonna be just as problematic.

IMO a pretty cool chapter symbol would be something like a storm cloud shooting a lightning bolt, a stylized representation of a wind gust, and a raindrop (or a chunk of hail might seem edgier) at something

or maybe a tornado wreathed in lightning?

>>49866400
if you want unit diversity and focused strikes, but they aren't big on tanks (I'm assuming that extends to things like landspeeders and fliers and the like) I would think drop pod assault specialist would be a nice rout as, back in the day at least, every kind of marine infantry had access to pods and full company or chapter assault drops are (or at least were) considered to be the most decisive means of deployment available to marines.

as far as adaptability goes they wouldn't always be able to go all death from above, but they would still be a chapter almost completely composed of infantry and nothing is as adaptable/versatile as infantry.

If you did that they would be slow as hell accross country and would likely end up locked in long grueling campaigns like guard usually do but that would actually do a lot to reinforce their "we're terribly sorry about having to steal all your shit" type behavior because they wouldn't have much in the way of logistical support and those kinds of campaigns are when soldiers typically do end up relying on theft to continue operating.

(IRL US Marines will steal any and all army, navy,or air force equipment that isn't nailed down (and some that is)
>>
>>49888283
Rapid Domincance is just the fancy word for "Shock and Awe" which you probably already know.

I'll also just put this out here that this is for a Deathwatch campaign, they're not intended for the actual wargame. Cheers for the ideas on how to make it work there though

As for homeplanet. I haven't got the timeline nailed, but general gist is this:

Used to be a vast dessert world, with small cities built around various wells, oases, geneal places were there's water and not shitty sand everywhere. Water is a highly prized resource there, naturally. Eventually a war breaks out over control of these little pockets of water, eventually ruining the vast poisoning or destroying the vast majority of them, because this is 40k and you're not allowed nice things. Civilisation breaks down to the point where its mostly just squabling tribes and small city-states.

Yet To Be Named Chapter hopes that by lodging itself throughly within the Imperium's good books, they'll invest the time and resources into trying to repair the damage. For now they try and keep the natives from fucking things up any more, and carefully preserving whatever sources are left.
>>
File: War is hell.png (830KB, 1600x1144px) Image search: [Google]
War is hell.png
830KB, 1600x1144px
>>49888695
Has any one made a chapter named the Glorious Knives yet?

>>49888814

>I'll also just put this out here that this is for a Deathwatch campaign, they're not intended for the actual wargame. Cheers for the ideas on how to make it work there though

Fluff is divine and as such transcends all boundaries of game and ruleset.

Furthermore in the opinion of this astartes all discussions of marine chapters (or all discussions period) ought to include an exploration of doctrine.

Thought for the day: each maiming, burning, and killing is a beautiful and unique snowflake

>pic related: I blame sound doctrine.
>>
>>49889082
Ah I see, I'll keep working on it.
>>
>>49886072
I love the colour scheme, it looks fantastic. Like Dorn and the Lion had a badass lovechild during the Heresy.
Thread posts: 179
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.