[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best dungeon crawler board game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: pic945014.jpg (92KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
pic945014.jpg
92KB, 640x427px
Descent 2.0, Super Dungeon Explorer, or D&D Adventure System? Which of these ,or anything else that I might have missed, have the most indepth system full of loot and can last hundreds of hours?
Which is the most customizeable?
>>
Imperial Assault ist not the dungeon crawler you seek:

it focuses less on looting/exploration and more on mission objectives

suitably captures Star Wars feeling ... I guess, but racing past enemies towards the exit is not to my taste

reading the custom dice results takes some practice because you roll for range, accuracy, damage and special effects in one roll, but speeds up combat later on

So to sum things up: bump for interest
>>
The upcoming Conan game looks good, waiting to get my copy to give a full report, but initial reviews of it are very positive.
>>
Conan looks amazing. Been waiting on Sword & Sorcery whenever that thing comes out.
>>
>>49857504
Is that bootleg Russian Ravenloft without mini's?

I've only played some of the D&D adventure system games but I like Legend of Drizzt the best out of those. Haven't played Elemental Evil yet though.
>>
>>49859052
How is the replayability in that?
>>
File: Heroquest-doors.jpg (91KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Heroquest-doors.jpg
91KB, 480x360px
>>49857504
For me it's Heroquest. Simple rules, very good materials, and a fucking great "old school" design.
>>
>>49859258
Bard? Is that you?
>>
>>49859189
It's been fun so far but I haven't finished all adventures yet. The Hero's feel like they have a lot of options and the treasure cards are actually interesting this time (compared to Ravenloft).
>>
>>49857504
A hybrid between advanced heroquest and warhammer quest, not the flashy remake, but the 90s game with the 200 page roleplay book.
>>
I've been working on making my own. It takes cues from Warhammer Quest, both the original and the Silver Tower. It's set in my homebrew setting. It'll be relatively simple, and will have pre-made characters or you can make your own, so anybody can play it regardless of experience.

It's largely loot-based, with your character's effectiveness based on his or her equiptment. There's an over-arcing story to tie all of the 'levels' together, and I've already had ideas for expansions which will include new tiles for different locations.
>>
>>49857504
I've played the "Wrath of Ashardalon" D&D Adventure System game and quite enjoyed it.

I own Descent 1.0 and it's pretty bad. It simply takes so long to properly set up with so little pay off. I'd be more likely to run a quick one-shot adventure in a proper RPG.
I've heard Descent 2.0 is better, but I'm not really not likely to play it.

>>49859302
>>49859258
BROHDSOHD
>>
>>49861991
That sounds pretty awesome Anon. Looking forward to more details whenever you finish it!
>>49861099
I keep hearing about Warhammer quest? How expansive is the board game?
>>
OP what you want is Dungeon World

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

You want fast, intuitive combat? Dungeon World does that.

You want real, deep roleplaying mechanics? Dungeon World does that.

You want great mechanics that reward diversity of play? Dungeon World does that as well.

My last session of Dungeon World my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window. This is real roleplaying we are talking about here, not babby 3.5 shit. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Dungeon World today, it is an evolution and perfection of the half-formed ideas in Apocalypse World (the game it is derived from)
>>
>>49863066
>Dungeon World
>p&p rpg
>OP wants a board game
>>
>>49859258

>Heroquest
>also with some of the models from that D&D Fantasy Adventure boardgame

Are you literally me?

I played my first ever game of HQ at the weekend, did the rules intro and the very first quest as the Evil Wizard whilst two friends played the Barbarian and Wizard, barely scraped through The Maze only for the Wizard to completely jew his companion at the end, run off and take the 100 gold for leaving the dungeon first.
>>
>>49863166

Except, Dungeon World is better than any board game. Literally. It can emulate everything a board game can do, except more effectively, and faster.
>>
I don't like Super Dungeon Explore myself. Dungeon Saga has some pretty cool shit though, and they seem to be continuing support. The new Warhammer Quest isn't that bad, it is just expensive for what it is.

>>49863066
Stale pasta
>>
>>49863630
>OP wants a board game
I'm starting to think that the people who hate on dw/it's players in this board actually have a point
>>
>>49863691

Why? Because you can't handle the fact that Dungeon World does most board games better than those board games do themselves?

My group player Settlers of Catan with Dungeon World-inspired moves. Used the same dice, same game board, same everything. INFINITELY more rewarding experience. Why? Because the Dungeon World rules use fast, innovative gameplay mechanics to create multiple results, rather than (boring) binary pass-fail. Those kinds of problematic mechanics have been unnecessarily dumbing down RPGs for years. Now, Dungeon World presents a solution to that issue. Why not adapt it to board games?
>>
>>49863630
Okay let me break it down for you. Dungeon World is a roleplaying game thus needing some type of player to be the Storyteller, Dungeon Master, Game Master, what have you. I'm asking for a BOARD game. Something allows JUST ME or a few others to just follow a set of simple rules and play through a co-op game together or against each other depending on the game. If I wanted to play a roleplaying game I'd play something superior to Dungeon World. There's a ton of good systems out there for that type of stuff and I'd just run a one shot if I was that desperate.

I'm not looking to roleplay. Just a BOARD game that will last me and a few people a while and has a ton of replayability.
>>49863691
For real.
>>
>>49863758
Shoehorning is a fast way to get people to hate your game.

The idea of shilling is to sell people, not turn them away.
>>
>>49859258
I picked this game up for free at a thrift store I volunteer/do community service at (whichever one i-interests you m-more anon...).

It's beat up like fuck and so dusty I can't open the box without sneezing brain matter out. Is this thing worth trying to restore? A lot of the cardboard pieces are fucked, many of the plastic ones are falling a part, I'm not even sure it's all there. Also there are some Star Wars mini figs mixed in the the shoddily painted stock ones.

I never got around to playing it because I figured putting the shit back together wouldn't be worth the effort. Am I wrong?
>>
>>49863957
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A
>>
>>49864063
That was a lot of effort for a mediocre bait
>>
>>49864063
(you)
>>
>>49857504
I love the D&D AS games myself. They're fun, quick to learn and pretty easy to mod. Shame they haven't made a new one. I ended up modding a couple adventures for the Pathfinder minis game that never went anywhere.
>>
Descent is fun, but more of an objective skirmish.
D&D is okay- it's a simple system, and you can use the different games as standalone expansions.
Heroquest is very dated, mostly people's nostalgia speaking. It has roll to move for fucks sake.
Dungeon Saga is a more modern interpretation of a similar concept, and probably my pick of the bunch for a classic dungeon crawler game
>>
>>49864063
Wow. You are a sad and unsuccesful troll.
>>
>>49864414
>Dungeon Saga
Actually sounds really cool. How is the replay value with it?
>>
>>49864453
I would say that there is a lot to it. I hate to say this, but the game really does shine with some of the expansions (Specifically the ability to have a DM AI through cards and character creation) but it is fun on its own. It is very much a take/tribute on Heroquest for modern gamers, as opposed to something more funky.
>>
tfw heroquest costs 800 american dollers
>>
>>49864453
Base game alone is modest, really. 10 scenarios, and predetermined character progression between them. Lots of quality expansions, though, including the Adventurer's Companion, which I don't have but is meant to introduce proper character progression and custom scenario building.
>>
>>49864507
>>49864584
Nice I need to get it then. Sounds like my kind of game.
>>
>>49863990
Seems fun. Any other games like this? Truthfully, I wasn't into board games until I got Munchkin Legends Guest Art Edition, but now I'm more open to suggestions.
>>
The Dark Souls game looked boring as fuck in the demos I got to see at PAX.
>>
>>49868032
Are the dice just SDE dice with the potion/heart side removed? Because when I looked at the KS while it was up, the distribution of dots matched SDE stars.
>>
>>49863990
>>49859258

As someone who thinks Hero Quest is the greatest dungeon crawler, does anyone know how good Dungeon Saga is?
>>
>>49868106
I don't know, the component weren't 100% done.
But the actual fighting vs bosses looked super tedious like the boss "AI" isn't streamlined enough.
>>
>>49859258
Has anyone ever expanded HQ simple system into a workable RPG system?
I could see characters having skills with 1-4 dice, with skulls being successes and you need at least 1 success to win.
>>
>>49863808
>Thinking this is an honest shill and not a false-flagger
>>
>>49868863
I was of half a mind of suggesting Lego Heroica. It was a thing a while ago before being discontinued - a Lego based tiled boardgame. The basic rules were pretty, well, basic, but it has the advantage of being easilly customizable both in terms of rules and, most importantly, board. That said, I honestly have no idea how easy it would be to find nowadays.
>>
File: bait11.jpg (168KB, 1016x970px) Image search: [Google]
bait11.jpg
168KB, 1016x970px
>>49864063
>>
Nothing has come close to heroquest.

Not even nostalgia goggling.

Descent 1 is a racing game, and descent 2 is fucking cartoony as fuck, like WoW.

Nothing does the theme the serious dark justice it deserves.
>>
>>49858497
>>49858608
Name/link to the new Conan game? There've been a lot, so searching doesn't help.
Are you referring to Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of or is there something newer?
>>
>>49864361
>new one

Temple of Elemental Evil was released Spring 2015. 4 complete games since 2010 is pretty decent.
>>
>>49859258
>>
>>49870845

I don't get the connect between Heroquest and Mormons.

Heroquest was a great game in its day but is dated now. There really isn't anything like it other then maybe Dungeon Saga. People often confuse theme with game play. Heroquest required a Dungeon Master unlike the cooperative shit games you see today. What is the fun in defeating a rule set? What's the fun in beating a deck of cards? A human adversary is much more rewarding.
>>
>>49871234
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A
>>
Yo anons what's your opinion on Level 7 Omega Protocol?
>>
>>49857504
If you're alright with app-integrated games, Descent recently got the Road to Legend app, which besides letting you play without an Overlord player and has a campaign mode, was also updated with the Delve mode, which is apparently a randomized dungeon of sorts. No idea if it's still objective based like the usual Descent or if it's closer to a dungeon crawler though.
>>
>>49872015
>Road to Legend app
Fuck yes this is nice. Thanks.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.