[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you feel about /m/-core stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 38

File: 51.jpg (190KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
51.jpg
190KB, 1191x670px
how do you feel about /m/-core stuff
>>
On a scale from yes to no...
WAAAAAGH
>>
File: 1245209569590.jpg (112KB, 1265x963px) Image search: [Google]
1245209569590.jpg
112KB, 1265x963px
I'm a fan of mechs when they're done well
>>
>>49854934
Mecha are extremely unrealistic. There's nothing they can do what tanks cannot do better and in general they're just big walking targets that will get blown apart in any sensible situations. People who like mecha are overly excitable manchildren who think rule of cool trumps sensibility and get butthurt when told otherwise.

In addition, there are people who KNOW mecha are stupid and unrealistic and still like them. These are a bit ore honest in that they KNOW they're wallowing in filth. The real problem is that they see nothing wrong with it.

Mechafags are katanafags of science fiction.
>>
>>49855036

Except that's all founded on the stupid assumption that realism is something you should always aspire for in fiction.

Protip- It's not. Deal with it.
>>
>>49855053
>Protip- It's not. Deal with it.
enjoy your rainbow dragon unicorns, i guess?
How's the latest P*nyfinder session? Was it fun?
>>
File: tumblr_m3b654H3S11qhttpto1_1280.jpg (813KB, 1211x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m3b654H3S11qhttpto1_1280.jpg
813KB, 1211x1920px
>>49855067

And there you have it. Make a single, obvious statement and the troll abandons any pretence of having a point.
>>
>>49855067
Idiot.
>>
>>49855107
>>49855151
> and get butthurt when told otherwise

Like pottery.
>>
File: tumblr_m3b654H3S11qhttpto3_1280.jpg (920KB, 914x1300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m3b654H3S11qhttpto3_1280.jpg
920KB, 914x1300px
Post mechs, ignore morons with no imagination.

I do wish I knew of more good options for mecha systems though. There are a few, but I've yet to find one to hit the niche I really want.
>>
>>49855107
>>49855151
>taking the bait
>>
File: 1465895560301.jpg (882KB, 2362x1897px) Image search: [Google]
1465895560301.jpg
882KB, 2362x1897px
>>
>>49855036
To be completely fair trollanon walkers would make effective scouts, long range effectiveness, mobility in situations where a tank would be trapped, and long lines of sight due to its relatively high profile. A mecha would never actually be an MBT though, it's just counter to their chief design features
>>
>>49855183
Currently my main choices(outside of building my own system, which I might end up doing) would be; Battle Century G, Mekton Zeta, and Strike! RPG, at least for systems that aren't tied to specific settings(if we include those then Remnants would also be a good choice)
>>
>>49855036

>Mecha are extremely unrealistic.

In other news: Water is wet.
>>
File: 2.png (1MB, 1000x1332px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
1MB, 1000x1332px
>>49855435
not him but

>effective scouts
no
> and long lines of sight due to its relatively high profile
no
If you want to see things from high up then stick a drone on your tank or some sci-fi solution like extendable camera wire. Flying drones and small cars/land drones make better scouts

>mobility in situations where a tank would be trapped
In those situations it would get butt-fucked by infantry, a mech may have a better time in extremely rocky mountains or trashed cities but they still would be pretty slow to step over all that rubbish and keep a good footing, also they are inherently easy to hit, have shitty armour and have massive weakspots.

Mechs are rule of cool, if you really want to justify it you need to specifically set up a soft sci-fi/fantasy setting that uses some arbitrary stuff to make more traditionally shaped vehicles useless and/or base your setting inside a non-standard environment that makes pure wheeled/tracked vehicles practically impossible.

In my homebrew for example, most 'ground' fighting is done on the inside of massive mega structures, so multi-legged things like spider-tanks are used to navigate the twisting tunnels and zero-g environments, you have to have back-ups for your tracks and wheels if gravity can be switched off at any time.
>>
File: 1476351225924.jpg (417KB, 1920x1249px) Image search: [Google]
1476351225924.jpg
417KB, 1920x1249px
>>
File: 1465768986499.jpg (197KB, 564x1065px) Image search: [Google]
1465768986499.jpg
197KB, 564x1065px
>>
File: 1.jpg (160KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
160KB, 900x675px
>>
>>49855036
>Mecha are extremely unrealistic.
No shit, Sherlock. And so are wizards and dragons and vampires so on. I don't see how that's a problem.
>>
>It's unrealistic, so it's shit
I don't really get how this is supposed to be an argument on a board that's nearly completely about fantasy and science fiction.
>>
File: Street Level Mechs.jpg (2MB, 1848x996px) Image search: [Google]
Street Level Mechs.jpg
2MB, 1848x996px
>>
>>49855458
Have you looked at Silcore yet?
>>
>>49855053
>Except that's all founded on the stupid assumption that realism is something you should always aspire for in fiction.
Internal consistency is though.

Even in many mecha settings it makes no sense that they use mecha.

We had a recent thread on developing a sci-fi setting where it still made sense to have melee combat and some good stuff was thrown around.

I don't see the same happening for mecha - it's always mechs just because.
>>
>>49855435
>long range effectiveness
Why? You realise that the reason machine gun posts are always at ground level is because that maximizes their range?
Like what, a tank has way less ground pressure than a bipedal mech?
and long lines of sight due to its relatively high profile.
Not really, what you get from being taller is much less useful cover or concealment. You aren't going to see a tank any further away.
>>
>>49856415
More movable joints allow mechs to adapt and make use of more cover points
>>
>>49855036
>Calls people manchildren
>Is on /tg/ debating about fictional robots
W
E
W
>>
>>49856387

Its best if the mechs have a role other than tank with legs. If you try to out-tank tanks, you WILL fail.

Macross has a pretty solid set of excuses for mecha. Variable fights spend a lot of their operational time in plane or gerwalk mode, competing for air and space dominance weapon slots instead of tank slots. A role which they are absurdly good at, by the way, considering their ability to dogfight between planets and engage up to 1024 enemies simultaneously.

They can transform into humanoid robot mode to hold ground and perform boarding actions of alien ships. That last part is important, because the aliens that VFs were originally designed to deal with are themselves giants. So even if you have other weapons platforms capable of killing the aliens with a smaller profile, having giant robot hands is incredibly useful for interacting with and using alien technology on the fly.

So VFs manage to combine three separate useful (in some cases vital) battlefield units into a single high performance machine that they can apparently mass produce. So why not?
>>
>>49856453
>make use of more cover points
Yea because giant, ten stories high mech will use cover points... Also joints are like enginering nightmare, not only because it would be extremly hard to make them but they would be also unbelievably prone to damaging themselves. My biggest issue with mechs is that, they would constanly be on maintenance.

>>49856905
>dogfight between planets
There should be no dogfights between planets, just shooting almost lightfast missles or lasers that destroy enemies ships,
>>
File: Economics.png (116KB, 1346x582px) Image search: [Google]
Economics.png
116KB, 1346x582px
>>49855036
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>49857328
> There should be no dogfights between planets, just shooting almost lightfast missles or lasers that destroy enemies ships,

Macross doesn't really do relativistic speed... anything, really. FTL is a form of long distance teleportation. They don't build relativistic kill weapons to destroy planets, they just park 4 million capital ships in orbit, they fire once or twice each, and the surface of the planet is dead. If you want to do a lot of damage in a single shot, you fire a weapon that tears apart space itself, obliterating anything unfortunate enough to occupy the volume of space that no longer exists.

They do have speed of light weapons in the form of lasers, and drone weapons armed with lasers nearly put pilots out of business until a hacking scare an AI terror weapon sort of turned the Macross setting off of trusting drones weapons or AI to do anything more dangerous than bring you a soda.
>>
How would you justify ground mechs,/tg/?
>>
File: ZBW-ADX00.jpg (810KB, 1400x1074px) Image search: [Google]
ZBW-ADX00.jpg
810KB, 1400x1074px
>>49856387
You just lack imagination or have bad reference, I can imagine HARD SF with mech.
It will just -of course- question the cool stuff you wanted to do with them No "jumping unto a tank and slicing it with sword".
Combat Engineer would dream of mech or exoskeleton (today we only miss the software and control interface)

But if you do want a sniper mecha ? I have it.
"Mech" deploying what are basically anti-tank gun at position no tracked vehicle can go, no need to crawl like a human sniper, robotic can give you position far more secure, install big anti-air missile in place discreet and unreachable...etc

Recon mecha ? I have it, flying one even.
Helicopter are used for recon, what they can't do ? Hold the terrain. Think the legs are dead-weight ? Not when you can loiter hidden in a slope for hours.
Flying is too much ? Ok, have a cheaper quadrupedal mech with wheels.

Tank-Mech ? Still can do.
Track/wheels are single point failure for immobilization and the very way they work is why tank can't be too heavy or be bogged down. Limbed locomotion work differently. Unlike what you may have heard you aren't going to "sink into the ground" even with a 200tons MS (and I'm not saying Gundam is realistic)
Yes you might lose the 70km/h top speed in the desert. But do you still need it if modern warfare keep the tank from operating without slower unit ? Or without mech as support ?

Warfare change, before it was logical to charge with horse and saber, then to line-up with single-use musket. Who know if overly specialized Battle Tank won't look ridiculous against adaptive enemy ?
>>
>>49856387

A setting is internally consistent if a core premise of the setting is 'Mech's work'.

That's all you need. You can add technobabble if you like, but if you just assert at the start that, in this universe, mechs work and are a functional combat asset, then your universe is internally consistent as long as you follow the logical ramifications of that core principle.
>>
>>49857605

High-mobility defense platforms designed to protect your army from orbital attacks. They have a limited amount of defensive weapons, but their primary goal is to stay on the move. If the enemy blows up your defense mechs, they can just fall back and let orbital laser sats kill 100% of your army without risking any life in the process. So you are going to draw a lot of fire.

You need something that can move at high speed in any environment with little warning, but flying not only makes you more vulnerable to being singled out and destroyed but also makes it much more fuel intensive to hold a position with the rest of your army.

So you end up with a lightly armored, high speed ground mech with a focus on mobility enhancing tools such as grapples and jump jets, constantly on the move around the battlefield to provide as much cover as possible against space lasers to your troops without sitting in one place so that the enemy can hid your position too hard.

Your biggest worries art artillery, railguns, and missiles. So you want the best defensive package you can get in terms of chaff and shooting down incoming fire.
>>
>>49857605
The same way you make bipedal mechs work every other way: don't try to justify it, just do it and make sure it's entertaining enough and cogent enough that nobody cares to, or ideally even thinks to, question it.
>>
>its another 'mechfags get so triggered by a few posts of bait that they turn the entire thread into responding to said bait like the dumbshits that they are' thread

yawn desu
>>
>>49854973
This pic is stupid. Whoever wrote ammo on left arm is unclear should buy glasses, there is obvious ammo drum with linked shells directly feeding it.

As for chainblade, arm looks strong enough to support it, if you want to ridicule something you could easily ask how it is rotated as it doesn't have anything that might actually target it at enemy. Who wrote this, Mechanicus?
>>
>>49857328
>There should be no dogfights between planets, just shooting almost lightfast missles or lasers that destroy enemies ships

I don't like mechs much either, but that's fucking boring.
>>
>>49857736
>Who wrote this, Mechanicus?

Worse, the Russian Mechanicus
>>
>>49857831

I like how whenever people get autistic about realism in space, their answer is that everything travels at the speed of light all the time and nothing else matters.

As if accelerating any amount of mass to near light speed is EASY.
>>
File: image.png (206KB, 1035x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
206KB, 1035x1600px
always wanted to play a mecha tabletop game. Thinking of giving AdEva a whirl in the future, because I'm a huge Shinji apologist and I like the amount of customisation for your EVA and the addition of on the smaller allies vehicles (even if they're just minor distractions). Also, EVA are organic and psychic.
My dream game would have basic chassis that you pimp out and customise over the course of the campaign, while fighting along side non-mecha forces. I don't think mecha is as cool if it's not shown in comparison to other ground forces.
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 1152x864px
ITT: Fun police, bait and the idiot /m/orons who reply

I think mechs are cool, just jabbing at the idiots taking the bait.
>>
File: 1476748248803.jpg (83KB, 392x430px) Image search: [Google]
1476748248803.jpg
83KB, 392x430px
>>49855036
Wow what a faggot
>>
>>49855435
I want the "mechanical walking is good for mobility" meme to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TaYhjpOfo
>>
>>49854934
Mechs are pretty cool. It can get pretty bad if pulled off poorly, but that's true of everything.
>>
>>49858466

The legs work fine, its the balance that is screwed. We are trying to replicate the efforts of billions of years of evolution that happened by mistake but on purpose and at our control, its not surprising that its taking more than a couple decades.

Copying biology is HARD. Not only is there obvious stuff like how little we understand about how the brain works, we only just realized LAST YEAR that we were reading DNA wrong and seeing less than half the picture encoded in our genetic blueprints. And we are still figuring out what that other half means and how it works.
>>
>>49858939
This is how I like to justify bipedal bots using human pilots instead of being remote controlled or using AI, since the human pilot can use his own sense of balance to keep the bot upright.

Of course, this requires the pilot to have some sort of neural link of somesuch to properly "feel" the body, which is another obviously sci-fi thing, but eh, it's still cool.
>>
All right, Strikeanon is here already. Taking bets on how long it takes for 4eanon to pop in.
>>49857585
>until a hacking scare an AI terror weapon sort of turned the Macross setting off of trusting drones weapons or AI to do anything more dangerous than bring you a soda.
You didn't watch Frontier, did you?
>>
>>49859229
>All right, Strikeanon is here already.

Jokes on you, it seems to be spreading on its own now!
>>
>>49859229

Sure I did. The Frontier Fleet uses drone weapons, but only shackled, dumb AI that can be rendered useless by simple jamming because they are absolutely crippled without constant and direct oversight from a human controller. Luca's job is basically to babysit a squad of 3 Ghosts and give them orders in real time, because they don't dare risk letting those drones off the chain.

Galaxy Fleet spammed drones under a less restrictive system to make up for their overall smaller group of pilots, but even these were shown to be inferior to true unshackled AI. How do we know this? Because Luca in a fit of desperation actually lets his 3 drones run wild and operate unshackled during the final fight, and in the brief segments we see of that those drones absolutely wipe the floor with anything Galaxy that gets in their way. Even Galaxy, the evil cyber faction, was too scared to actually have their ghosts operating on the same level as the original proposal seen in Macross Plus.
>>
>>49855036
>other people's imagination make him mad
Kek you are an idiot. Just deal with it it's science fiction, who the fuck cares what's realistic or not
>>
>>49859384
Okay, I get what you mean now. I had misunderstood what you meant in regards to the AI with your earlier post. My bad.
>>
File: Verily.jpg (108KB, 456x447px) Image search: [Google]
Verily.jpg
108KB, 456x447px
>>49859547

Its okay, friend. I over-exaggerated before.
>>
>>49859229
I'm not an advocate of 4e for mecha stuff because there's too much going on that can't translate well into being about robots--namely anything to do with skills.

That said I *am* that guy that used the 4e spin-off Gamma World, 7e. It's a lot faster and more comfortable, plus it already has guns and sci-fi abilities baked in. Takes less justification and management to make stuff make sense.

Still not perfect, though. We had to shelve that game due to scheduling issues, but when we pick it up again soon we're probably going to migrate to a different system. Half the group wants Mutants & Masterminds, the other half wants an RPG designed explicitly for mecha (but like M&M regardless).

Might go M&M just because the SRD. The mechs will be PL10, the pilots PL6.
>>
>>49854934

I'm building a setting based on alien mecha right now, so pretty damn good.

>>49855036

It's not hard to cook up a justification, especially in a limited-superscience setting. A degree of handwaving and suspension of disbelief is pretty much required.

In my game, mecha weren't built by humans. They were handed to humans pretty much at random and so their vastly superior tech makes up for the inherent weaknesses of the platform. The mecha design was chosen for political/ideological reasons, though the humans of the setting don't realize this at first.

Here's the thing. Sure they aren't realistic, but neither are space fighters. FTL drives aren't realistic, either. Marx's theories were falsified a century ago, but you can still make six figures pretending he was right. Junk science may not be very good for people in real life, but in pretend not-real fiction land they make for some fun stories.
>>
>>49857328
They could make them smaller?

Aren't mechs any sort of humanoid mechanical suits?
>>
>>49857328
I bet you're real fun at parties.
>>
>>49856415
yeah... that's why machine gun posts are at ground level...

Have you never heard of tank traps, or is your imagination so limited you only think of mobility in terms of rivers and mountains?
>>
>>49857328
>>Mechs are unrealistic and dumb!
>>Talking about accelerating projectiles to nearly the speed of light
Oh please, do continue.
>>
File: 1382478383093.jpg (751KB, 3022x2143px) Image search: [Google]
1382478383093.jpg
751KB, 3022x2143px
bump
>>
>>49867993
>SRA
>ever
GX GON GIVE IT TO YA
>>
File: 1476408014740.gif (3MB, 252x194px) Image search: [Google]
1476408014740.gif
3MB, 252x194px
Thinking about it, are Giant Mecha justified if there are giant Aliumz out in the universe?

>>49855067
It's only because of Ponyfinder that I was even able to get into some RT and Mecha games, so don't hate.
>>
File: zentraedi girl.jpg (225KB, 707x610px) Image search: [Google]
zentraedi girl.jpg
225KB, 707x610px
>>49868561
>are Giant Mecha justified if there are giant Aliumz out in the universe?
That is exactly the justification for VFs in Macross
>>
File: BookWorm.jpg (23KB, 555x353px) Image search: [Google]
BookWorm.jpg
23KB, 555x353px
>>49868624
Yeah, but I should have specified if it was enough to quell realism fans. It makes sense, giants things need giant methods to interact with them.

PS, I want to see more interaction with the Vajra.
>>
>>49868561
>>49868770
honestly I say don't worry about justifying Mecha outside of the vaguest ways, it's more of a headache than it's worth
>>
File: macross sizes.jpg (926KB, 3480x1476px) Image search: [Google]
macross sizes.jpg
926KB, 3480x1476px
>>49868770
>giants things need giant methods to interact with them
Pffft, realism fans are gonna say we just hit them with rockets and tanks and guerrilla warfare, giant things means they're easier to shoot remember?

Fans who get hung up on realism over something explicitly unrealistic are just autists. Best to give a vague handwave and move on.
>>
>>49856107
>scout : no

Its able to bypast obstacles that even infantry can't go throught while walks faster than reg. Infantry. Also, thinker on the suspension a little can muffle their movements.

Sending much infantry on scout mission s also loud as shit. They'll be complaining much if things goes hot a little.

>and long lines of sight due to its relatively high profile : no

Yes

>Drone
If you want to be easily buttfucked by jammers and hackers, then suuuuure.

>In those situations it would get butt-fucked by infantry

Not really since, you know, they carrying ANTI Infantry weapons.

And missiles? If they don't piss themselves first or those infantry are bunch of MD Geist then suuuure.

Also, wasting 5-10 insured lives on 1 salvageable vehicles and 1 lives? Not very good option for those administration pocket heh mate?

>Rule of cool
If you said that Humans, animals, and dinosaurs are run by rule of cool then sure m8.
>>
>>49856453
>More movable joints allow mechs to adapt and make use of more cover points
Bullshit. Even crouched the mech is much harder to conceal.

>>49857693
No, that's just saying "wizards did it" and it's lazy as fuck.

>>49866122
>Have you never heard of tank traps, or is your imagination so limited you only think of mobility in terms of rivers and mountains?
Have you never heard of soft ground since your mech has way to much ground pressure to go off road after rain?
>>
>>49869226
>>and long lines of sight due to its relatively high profile : no
>Yes
Please explain how being taller is an advantage? You can see things slightly further away (if they aren't concealed) but they also see you. Where is the advantage?
>>
>49868359
>Thinking about it, are Giant Mecha justified if there are giant Aliumz out in the universe?

Depends on your hardness factor. Over in ours, basically never for actual combat applications. Giants are at a disadvantage anyway. But you see it on the odd occasion. Far more common as sort of giant telepresence units for combat sports and other civilian-sector shenanigans in places with a surplus of time or money.
>>
File: scopedog3.jpg (319KB, 567x802px) Image search: [Google]
scopedog3.jpg
319KB, 567x802px
>>49854934
I like them when they have roles they work in rather than just making everything else obsolete, because that satisfies my hard-on for combined arms.
Also mini-mecha is best mecha.
>>
File: 1439312627069.jpg (142KB, 1258x644px) Image search: [Google]
1439312627069.jpg
142KB, 1258x644px
I guess /tg/ have the same trolling process than /m/
As long as mech haven't happen yet troll will depict them as short-sighted bogged down mammoth who were already in a trap before anything started.

I wish anime weren't so fixated with team of heroes, they would use combined-arms support more often.
>>
File: lanchesis002.jpg (102KB, 578x734px) Image search: [Google]
lanchesis002.jpg
102KB, 578x734px
Ok, back on track guys and ignore the /k/ekposters.

How do you like your mech /tg/?

Mass produced warmachines that rolled out hot and ready for battle (i.e. Mobile Suit, Scopedogs, LEV's)?
Or Master crafted, hand-sculpted masterpiece that passed generations to generations (i.e. Imperial Knight, Mortar Headd, Battlemech (sucession wars era) etc)

And how tall?
>>
>>49855036
>/k/
>>
>>49869733
>mass produced or master-crafted
In my group's setting, I had a mixture of both--and it's not like the made-to-order ones are automatically superior, either. Many of them are over-engineered, expensive, hard to maintain, or too heavy for certain roles, applications, and deployment methods.

>And how tall?
Generally 20-30 feet, depending on the manufacturer and model. The smallest were around 10-14 feet tall and modeled after Shirow Masamune's Landmate and ThinkTank designs.
>>
File: SDF Macross.jpg (252KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SDF Macross.jpg
252KB, 768x1024px
>>49869733
I've always liked them to be mass produced, yet existing on the more ridiculous end of the spectrum, because being ridiculous and ignoring real physics is the only way to make mechs practical in warfare.

>And how tall?
I've always liked them being huge, because it's ridiculous and can give off a whole 'defender of humanity' vibe when done right
>>
File: 1471335322657.jpg (3MB, 5000x2508px) Image search: [Google]
1471335322657.jpg
3MB, 5000x2508px
>>49869733
Mass produced,not very expensive as expected when it hits the market, and versatile. Buuuut not to tanky, basically a light tank with legs that can do construction works on the spare time.

>How tall
6-8m, can be 5, depends on the models

Well, im playing Patlabor the RPG, so you get the idea.
>>
>>49869900
> being ridiculous and ignoring real physics is the only way to make mechs practical in warfare.

Soooo you mean tanks, airplanes, cars, and cranes aren't practical in real life?
>>
File: r90_lp.jpg (349KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
r90_lp.jpg
349KB, 1200x1600px
>>49869900
Mass-produced at the ridiculous end of the spectrum, you say?
>>
>>49859384
Actually the Windmereans give them a bit more autonomy later on, as multiple drones get used as booster packs and/or split off to fight on their own for even the busiest aces.

Of course, they were also the same bunch that brought Macross full-circle on "music" and used singing as an interstellar mental brainwashing nuke....
>>
>>49863227
Powered armor or small 'exo suits' are very plausible; it's the 20+m mobile suits that fall flat into "so why didn't we just put that reactor and beam sabers on a Ball instead" territory.

Heavy Gears and VOTOMS are on the far end of the usable scale, but they're treated appropriately as such and tanks can be a fucking boss fight for a light squad of the former.
>>
>>49870011
>mechs are just as practical as things that aren't retarded.
>>
>>49869733
Mass produced and small enough to fit through a regular doorway.
>>
File: 1210323685408(2).gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1210323685408(2).gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>49870067
>so why didn't we just put that reactor and beam sabers on a Ball instead

Because pic related.

Fun facts! mobile suit are as big as modern jetplanes scale to scale (it even down to 14-15m in f91 era). 30 meters are just Gasniggers works, ignore them.

And its originally intended to replace outer spacecraft, not tanks, due to the efficiency of AMBAC tech that based on newton's third law.
>>
File: mkiii.jpg (17KB, 393x375px) Image search: [Google]
mkiii.jpg
17KB, 393x375px
>>49870224
Thing is though, AMBAC is being badly used by mobile suit design. A couple of turrets or manipulators do the job without the added mass and complexity of making giantass fucking legs.
>>
>>49870224
They're as tall as fighters are long (this is a bad thing; huge frontal cross-section), but their mass is above that of MBTs: A Gaplant is 94.2 tons in Mobile Suit form, 94.7 in mobile armor form (SOMEHOW, JUST FROM TRANSFORMING BACK AND FORTH), while a little F-16 is barely 19 tons at maximum takeoff weight.

They were slightly faster than MBTs when in good terrain, a GM II if I recall could reach 102km/h, Zaku IIs in the mid 80s,
>>
File: bait too much.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bait too much.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
>>49855036
>>
File: Getter-Robo-Go-02-0152-0153.png (581KB, 1657x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Getter-Robo-Go-02-0152-0153.png
581KB, 1657x1300px
>>49869733
I like both over the top, crazy mechs and gritty, sensible mechs.
It's the middle ground like mobile suits and the larger battlemechs I have trouble with in games.
>>
>>49870384
We're pretty easy to troll actually
>>
>>49856144
I hate this artstyle, feels unfinished and lazy
>>
>>49870250
Couple of manipulators are okay if its not cobbled up randomly, or it will fucked up the balance system. And a single manipulator (like your pic) will be useless in AMBAC system. That thing still needs extra thrusters to simply turn you know.

Also manipulators will take space, prohibit you to make conventional landing, or even small spaced VTOL like MS generally be. And it will tank their versality pretty hard (MS are used for general construction too, both in space and earth).

Also, you put your thrusters in legs, that can be programmed to redirect those thrusters to any directions. And importantly to counterbalance the force generated by main thrusters to maneuver. If its replaced by manipulators that just for holding weapons, then how you will counterbalance that? Instead of just flipping yourself around over and over?
Or if its just filled with thrusters, then you must install a fixed weapons, thus will tank their versality hard.

The Zeeks already do that things of yours, its called Mobile Armors project. And now they loose fucking hard.
>>
>>49870332
Then you got Doms, which could go 240 kph with their hover jets

Which would make you think that those land battleships could also go 200+ kph but apparently not
>>
>>49870250
Well, the rules of cool is still in effect.
Realistically Gundam would still have problem with radiating away the heat of their MW reactors and all projectiles based battle would generate a Kessler Syndrome.

The above does have funny consequences though.
If you cannot shoot at the enemy without killing yourself, and mech are the best way to save fuel.
Then you have a justification for close-combat mecha meant to safely deactivate & capture others' space station.
>>
>>49870407
>The Zeeks already do that things of yours, its called Mobile Armors project. And now they loose fucking hard.
Except the idea of mobile armors was so good everybody and their mother kept making new ones, from the Dendrobium to the Psyco Gundam to the Neo Zeong
>>
>>49870332
Gaplant is 22m super mobile suit that only somes can use them (Generally newtypes) so its not that comparable.

And f-16 is small, 15m, Lo planes that used in short engagement, and its 19 tons not even barely.

If you want to compare, V Gundams is more of a perfect match. 15m and its 17,7 tons :^)
>>
File: really big zam.jpg (366KB, 1033x1500px) Image search: [Google]
really big zam.jpg
366KB, 1033x1500px
>>49870407
>The Zeeks already do that things of yours, its called Mobile Armors project. And now they loose fucking hard
It's unfortunate that all the mobile armours that could have been successful encountered the White Devil before they could do anything significant.
At least the Big Zam took down a fair amount of feddie ships with it.
>>
>>49870445
Dendrobium are need MS to operate, and its survive because of Kou being a super snowflakes.

Psycho gundams are both MS and MA, and its need newtypes to operate, which is fucking hard to find and even make one.

Neo Zeong can only operated by Full Frontal using MS, and it even raped HARD by Unicorn, which is MS.
>>
>>49870511
Oh yeah, and Feds dropped Dendrobium project because its a massive failure and cost tons of dosh, so they back at making more MS instead.
>>
>>49870497
And Big Zam has legs :^)
>>
>>49870532
>>49870511
I'd argue it's a matter of narrative, you need all these super special machines piloted by super special people to do the super special things. And you can't tell me that the Unicorn wasn't the most super special BS that the UC has churned out in a while.

And its been demonstrated over and over agian that mobile armors are fucking awesome at wrecking the shit of everybody who isn't a protagonist. Big Zam was wiping out the Feddie fleet, Rafflesia was also wiping out everything in its way, it's only when they're up against a protagonist and his plot armor that they get beaten.
>>
>>49870423
Well, MS have their own heat shielding called i-field that generated by manipulating the Minovsky particles and has heat dampeners, what do you think all those exhaus are for?
And it even show to burst into balls of flames everytime its penetrated, but it actually quite rare. So its more of obscure future tech than rule of cool, since Minovsky particles aren't cool at all.

And Kessler syndrome are solved by regular cleaning by Balls and other janitoral MS. Also MS are excel at navigating them due to AMBACs.
>>
>>49870640
And Big Zam have legs.

Rafflessia are need super newtypes
to pilot them. And cause quite a blunder on Cosmo Babylonia economics. And then rekt by two MS, one of it was quite weak for Gundam standard.

Face it anon, even if MA was a thing, it eat tons of shekels, need massive amount of energy and produced only as weekly villains.
>>
>>49870755
Yeah, that's what I'm saying, that protagonist plot armor and narrative means they HAVE to lose to a super special awesome hero or two, and that against the actual massed grunts and starships (i.e. people without plot armor) mobile armors are pretty damned effective. Perhaps not in the more tactical ways a suit can, but on the basis of pure firepower and armor, it tops nearly anything.
>>
>>49870783
And then, it dropped like a fly.
Fuck even Adzam are fucking rekt by Gundam Ground, which is a poor man's GM.
And the protags even don't have much plot armor, he's almost got rekt by Doms for god sake.
>>
>>49870705
I know my Gundam technobabble and you are improperly understanding the real-life problem they handwaved (not even with magic particle).

Containing the heat is only the step before using it (as propulsion for example) or generation (electricity). But in all case, if you are producing 1MW of energy you still have to radiate away 1MW of heat.
You can't transform heat into energy.
Because of space principle that I won't bore you with a real MS would likely need heat-radiator as tall as their are.

As for Kessler Syndrome, you do not get the full scale of the problem. You will not go fetch every single bullets fired, nor every single piece of metal blow up from a MS. YET, every single one of those are still in orbit and equally as deadly as before.
Unlike what you see in gundam they do not "slow down" into conveniently static debris field. Every single shrapnel stay (because of orbital velocity) armor-piercing bullet.

Look at this pict filename.
"Space Debris Impact - 7gram - 7kms - aluminium"
>>
>>49870815
>Adzam are fucking rekt by Gundam Ground
>one destroyed by Amuro
>two destroyed in video games
What part of plot armour don't you understand? And outside maybe the Zakrello or Grublo the Adzam was easily the shittiest MA.
>>
>>49870481
even regular mobile suits range in the 50-70t range.
>>
>>49871173
>>
>>49855036
What if the mechs are just gigantic humanoids (possibly demigods) in battle armour?
>>
I think my experience on watching Gundam UC marathon can be sumarized as this:

>MA
+Massive firepower
+Sometimes cool
+Hard to kill
+Will kill alot of shit
-Requires so much shit (sometimes super psyker)
-Eat alot of energy and money
-Too long to develop
-Maneuvering are hard

MS
+Waltz around due to AMBACs
+Smaller than MA, mostly
+Cheaper and more energy efficient
+Versatile, can adapt to multiple occations
-Easier to crack
-Small can be dissadvantage
-Not so much firepower except on few superprototype

Eh, plus-minus i assume.....

>>49871173
Depends
Early UC era are made by ceramo-steel and act like a half-tank half-planes, so yes it range around 50-70t due to armors.

Mid UC era are made by lighter Titanium alloy tech called Luna-Titanium (called Gundarium for some reasons), but bigger and transformation modules eat alot of tonnage, thus the heavier profile (60-80t). And then, there's Scirrico and his upscale fetish....

Late UC forgo the heavy plating for lighter, smaller and faster suit due to increasing usage of beam and i-field tech, introducing 15m tall mobile suits, that range from 15-25t in range.

I find something fascinating about the MS time to time development, somehow it follow our airplanes evolution.
>>
>>49857736
>there is obvious ammo drum with linked shells directly feeding it.
what if drum just rotates there, without a hole to the barrel, while it shoots from elsewhere
>>
>>49859098
>this requires the pilot to have some sort of neural link of somesuch to properly "feel" the body
You know that good drivers can feel when a tire is low just by how the car drives, right? And they'r enot neurojacked into it. They're just GOOD DRIVERS
>>
>>49869298
Being seen is only relevant if you are in a combat role. Scouts like seeing things. Salvage teams like seeing things. Engineers like seeing things.
>>
In the anime Zoids, conventional vehicles never gained much traction because the giant robots are (to the human colonists) naturally occuring and naturally reproducing. There is literally no reason to build a tank when you have a giant robot scorpion with naturally occuring guns outside.
>>
Do you guys have any recs for fantasy mecha stuff? In the vein of Escaflowne.
>>
>>49870384

Ha ha ha! You guys are idiots! You fell for it and had a thread that discussed what OP asked for! L00zerz!
>>
>>49876233
System or setting?
>>
>muh realism only three posts in
holy FUCK
>>
>>49877712
Welcome to /m/isery mate, where /k/uk-/pol/ack combined goes in and out dropping shit with half assed wikiscience while playing victim card of being attacked first.
>>
>>49877678
Setting
>>
File: 1468364096568.png (284KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
1468364096568.png
284KB, 500x381px
>>49855036
Thank you, realismfag, for telling me that mecha wouldn't work in real life. There's no way I would have known that otherwise.

I must also thank you for explaining how things I like are wrong if they aren't realistic.
>>
>>49878659
do you want just Medieval style fantasy, or is other types fine as well?
>>
>>49879811
I only know of Escaflowne and I'm starved for more, so whatever you got is cool. Medieval or otherwise.
>>
All you should watch this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=80EQZaYV9TA
>>
>>49873981
Comes from the armor-weapons arms race.
First gen tech: big and unwieldy because we've just learned this shit.
Second gen tech: Holy shit, we can do this?! Let's slap it on.
Third gen tech: Let's make smaller and more efficient since we know this stuff like the back of our hands.
>>
>>49854934
You people are stupid enough to forget the /m/ rpgs

Heavy Gear
Jovian Chronicles
Gear Krieg

http://www.dp9.com/
>>
desu I think most mechas are boring, and if it's a primary selling point of a series/world (as opposed to just being fluff), I won't be inclined to learn more.
>>
>>49882644
Don't forget the Mechwarrior RPG, Mekton (even if its sucks), Chrome Strike, and MS Gundam: the RPG itself.

yes, even western robot are mecha
>>
File: 1383457398821.png (1MB, 1024x675px) Image search: [Google]
1383457398821.png
1MB, 1024x675px
>
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.