[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /tg/ give me your favorite little piece of lore. I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 1456868833311.jpg (255KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
1456868833311.jpg
255KB, 566x800px
Alright /tg/ give me your favorite little piece of lore.
I don't care if it comes from an established setting or a homebrew, and I don't care how much context is needed. I just wanna hear some deepest lore.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>49853622
The Old Ones are not manifestations of destruction. They, too, had a universe, and while it was beyond the comprehension of any mortal man, it was good. Yet all things die. They seek after this world not out of hatred, but mere survival instinct. And when our universe is dying, our gods will have no choice but to do the same.
>>
File: IMG_2619.png (385KB, 1322x1462px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2619.png
385KB, 1322x1462px
>>49853622
>>
The largest tribe on the Northeast Coast, The Giants, hold dominion over the last remnants of one of humanity's largest settlements. Though the Gaian Plague has reduced its largest structures to rubble and collapsed a majority of its old transit tunnels, the Giants have thrived. Metlife Castle, home to the Forefather and his army, stands as a symbol of strength to all those who come to trade with, serve under, and live among the people of the concrete jungle.
>>
>>49853622
Vampire: The Masquerade

The Tzimisce Clan Founder, known simply as "The Eldest" was never destroyed in his secret haven in the Carpathian Mountains in the 1500s. His own rebellious descendants tried to cannibalize him. He survived and now Lambach Ruthven, the only other witness to the event, looked into his companion's eyes and saw only the eldest looking back. Before sloughing back to sleep, he simply said "Be a good lad"

Now, some say that the eldest lives beneath New York, shapeshifting endlessly and constantly creating new bodies to inhabit. When he wakes upon the last day and destroys his rebellious descendants and the world along with them, Lambach will be last so that he may chronicle the events.
>>
File: zD4BMrK.jpg (2MB, 4762x3170px)
zD4BMrK.jpg
2MB, 4762x3170px
>>49853622
"The world is as sharp as a knife. Be careful or you might fall off," the old man told his rebellious young son.

"Don't be stupid. The world is broad," the son said, stretching out his arms, "and flat, and very sturdy,", and he kicked the ground with his foot. He ran his toe into a nail, and soon thereafter died.

The world is as sharp as a knife.

-Haida Proverb
>>
When Gods ascend, they become a force of nature in the universe, a law of physics according to their most earnest desire, and all their power is thus recycled back into the universe.

That is the reason why Ao and other elder God's dissapeared.

The beings mistakenly believed to be Gods are unaware that the power they are harvesting will demand their soul in return.
>>
File: elf luv.png (59KB, 256x434px) Image search: [Google]
elf luv.png
59KB, 256x434px
>>49853622
Homebrew crap:

The elves of the setting live in society based around communal-raising. Essentially this means that when a child is born into the society, their parents give them up to be raised by the society as a whole. For the first few years of their lives they're nursed by the society's religious caste until they become old enough that even their own parents wouldn't recognize them, then integrated into wider society in a way that's almost akin to boarding school. Here they're raised and educated by various members of the community until they find their aptitudes and talents and develop those enough to be considered adults.

The underlying idea to this whole system is that in this manner when children in the society become adults, all their achievements are their own. Nothing is inherited by blood or title or family lineage. "Families" still exist in a sense, and govern the society at large, but they're not genetic, and rather something that the youth have to earn membership into through their achievements (think of them like the "Houses" in Morrowind). It's all an extreme reaction to what the elves of this setting view as the "corrupt" societal tendencies of humans and several other races (societies built on inherited power that leads to incompetence, favoritism, abuse of power, and an unwillingness to make sacrifices for the greater good).

Unfortunately, despite how good the setup sounds on paper, in practice it ends up being anything but. The expectations to succeed and accomplish within the elven society is stifling and stressful. Those who cant keep up are often ostracized to degrees so extreme suicide or self-exile is common, and even many who can keep up willingly choose to leave the society due to the pressure... and a desire to have children and a blood-family of their own, free of the larger societal needs against it outweighing their own personal desires.

Peace, stability, and fair society... or collectivist cult. Depends on perspective.
>>
Larry: [to Jennings, while high] Okay. That means that our whole solar system could be, like one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being. [Jennings nods] This is too much! That means one tiny atom in my fingernail could be--
Jennings: Could be one little tiny universe.
>>
File: 1436746102042.gif (1010KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1436746102042.gif
1010KB, 420x420px
>>49854707
The potential for immortals to incest in such a situation is also super high. I'm okay with this.
>>
The path of fire is a literal vortex of energy that initially caused the spiritual world to merge fully with the physical. At the heart of this vortex is Agni, the AI that ran and managed the device before gaining a soul and becoming sentient. He is aware of his new found powers but can no longer close the path but tries his best to keep very powerful spirits from moving back and forth at will tiring as the act is. A small cult has been built up around him to maintain his systems and charge would be seekers of knowledge for coin and parts and expertise
>>
>>49853622
The mineral that naturally occurs does strange things to people buried near large concentrations of it. Once in a while, if they die traumatically, they'll rise from the grave and be set on a single task (usually revenge).
>>
File: 1456602517232.png (223KB, 405x797px) Image search: [Google]
1456602517232.png
223KB, 405x797px
>>49854743
They're not immortal though, their life span is roughly 250-300. Not a fan of "live forever" Mary Sue elves.

That being said, elves and inbreeding isn't even Magical Realm at this point, seems fairly common in a number of settings, if not a deliberate ploy to maintain "racial purity" in many of them.

That's not quite the case here, but I'd imagine it does happen sometimes. The results of which... are probably euthanized at birth if the defects are obvious.
>>
>>49853622
>Homebrew
The power of "nature" is a god-like force, powered by the vague superstitions and pagan worship of people across a thousand worlds. As there's no coherent worship or uniform view of it, it's basically a blind idiot god, lashing out randomly with its enormous but crude power, giving rise to monsters and other expressions of natural magic. The more coherent gods conspire to get rid of it, so that the mortal races will be dependent on them for the rest of eternity.

It's not something players are likely to care or know about, but it is what motivates the gods' enmity toward every form of naturally occurring magic in the world - something I've otherwise left unexplained.
>>
>>49854785
You know Tolkien elves had a specific law against incest: cousins or closer were a big no-no. The very idea or wanting to fuck someone that close to you was so alien to them that the one elf that wanted to was considered disturbed, and was possibly the only truly evil elf in the whole goddamn world
>>
>>49854785
It would take several generations of it for any obvious defects to occur, and if it ever got to that point the entire population would be fucked, like what you get with purebred dogs. And since I assume they are all mono-cultured weirdos there'd be no outside population for them to breed with to undo it. Unless you wanna turn it into one of those "everybody loves to fuck humans" settings
>>
>>49856681
>Implying elf biology and genetics even work the same as humans in a world where you can bone dragons for bloodline powers and turn into a bear after taking a weekend course in Druidic.
>>
>>49856803
>Implying elf biology and genetics even work the same as humans
But I used dog breeds as an example.
You don't think dogs are humans, do you anon?
>>
Dragons only have one sex, but some of them realized everyone else had two and decided that they needed two as well.

So dragon genders are Dragon, and DRAGON!, and they are completely different in spite of using the same pronouns and being completely indistinguishable except by spelling.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.