[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blacksmithing Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

I'm not a big 40k fan, but I thought some of you would like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gj8pAN7Y7E

Also, just a general smithing thread. A lot of work goes into making arms and armour that games just simplify to making a roll or two. I love watching these kind of artisan videos.
>>
>>49851019
AWE is defs worth taking a look at now more than ever due to their showcase of actual historical techniques. Starting with their Kill Bill katana, and most recently with their Ulfberth viking sword, they've had some really cool demos of how much of a fucking pain in the ass smithing used to be.

Also they're from Bal'mah, so I gotta rep my homedawgs.
>>
>>49851193
I liked the show before it was bought out.
>>
File: image.jpg (374KB, 599x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
374KB, 599x1500px
I have a high suspicion that there is some shilling going on for this vid.

There were 3 diff threads yesterday.

It's alright, but they should have made a scale one that could be swung around by a normal human.

Wasted opportunity.
>>
>>49851311
Bought out?
I honestly still love it, and I'm glad they didn't keep going with the stupid "we'll mash together two characters and make something stupid!"

>>49851486
>There were 3 diff threads yesterday.
I did a quick search and found nothing, so I made one. It's not shilling, this board is just giddy over Warhammer. It was formed from Warhammer Wednesday, after all.
And they generally don't do "reasonable scale".

>>49851193
Yeah, I really love seeing the traditional techniques. I know why they need to, but episodes where they heavily use the CNC without much detail really bore me. Though between this and the Poppy hammer, even those are getting better. I remember the Thor's Hammer one was pretty lame.

Anyway, since no one else linked anything, my favourite smithing video:
https://youtu.be/bAzJOULyx5c

It's not sword smithing, and a little more modern than most fantasy stuff people are into, but man, that soothing voice, and it's so interesting to see how old guns were made. I first got linked it when talking about playing a Gunslinger in Pathfinder.
>>
>>49851486
To be fair, having it be a bit giant is more fitting. Plus I'm not sure if they'd be able to find a motor small enough for a normal sized sword.
>>
>>49851019
That brief glimpse of a marine guy near the end is a cosplayer local to Baltimore. Forget his name but I met him at Otakon a few years ago.
>>
>>49851019
Check out the tv series Forged in Fire.
>>
Awesome both for being a chainsword build and showing just how retarded a weapon they are at the same time as being bad as fuck.
>>
>>49851019
>Building a chainsaw cage

>"Blacksmithing"

At least post a video where they use traditional techniques.
>>
Frenchman raising best helm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gvuo5Xmcp0
>>
Friendly reminder that steel is and always will be the greatest material to make weapons and armor out of.
>>
>>49853007
That was the most recent and most /tg/ relevant one of theirs. The last episode was them making an +Ulfber+t sword.
>>
here's a good one on recreating some viking patern welding.

https://youtu.be/vyUkYJeZtW4
>>
>>49852918
Its never going to be suoer practical but they would be nore practical than that one.
They're meant to have your standard scifi monomolecular cutting edge and spin much faster than a real chainsaw
>>
>>49851193
>Bal'mah
Fellow Baltimoron?
>>
>>49851019
>Imperial Eagle

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>49855042
Wanna go get some jumbOs?
>>
I think this video is pretty fucking comfy. No talk. Just the noise of the smithing going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcTcFbxtiLU
>>
>>49856908
Yeah, even for me that felt weird. The one guy clearly builds armies, and I know the Stagmars do nerd shit.

Then again, this is GW we're talking about. Maybe they were worried "Aquilla" would be too much? Or maybe the producers asked them not to use jargon?

>>49857913
I think half the fun is hearing explanations, myself. I wish I had the money, space, and legal permits to melt and hammer metal.
>>
>>49856908
>>49858516
What's wrong with saying "Imperial Eagle"? Technically Aquila just means the same thing. It's like saying Adeptus Astartes vs Space Marines, or Militarum Tempestus vs Stormtroopers.
>>
>>49859524
I don't know what's wrong. I just know they didn't, and it's very conspicuous. They can say Blood Angels but not Aquila?
>>
>>49859764
maybe they just thought it would be to "technical" a term for the non 40k viewers.

plus imperial eagle is the other name for it even GW uses at times.
>>
>>49859764
>>49860153
I believe it is because they weren't quite sure how to pronounce it
>>
>>49858516
>I wish I had the money, space, and legal permits to melt and hammer metal.
Yeah, same.

>I think half the fun is hearing explanations, myself.
I just think leaving out the talk makes the video somewhat soothing. I agree that a good explanation is also great in a smithing video
>>
>>49851486
This.
>>
>>49858516
what legal permits would you need?
surely it's just a matter of space and money
>>
>>49861768
really. i didn't think there was any ambiguity.

its phonetic isn't it?
>>
>>49851019
They spelt honour as 'honer'. Is that a 40k thing or just a fuck-up?
>>
>>49863831
I feel like a forge would be both to dangerous and loud to be in a residential area without a permit. But I'll admit I haven't looked.
http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/law_blacksmithing.htm

>>49863889
Ah-kwee-la
Ah-kee-la
>>
>>49865956
as long as you're not working at a stupid time like 11 pm a hammer and anvil isnt going to be too noisy.
>>
>>49863831
It depends on the scale of what you're doing, but there can be serious zoning issues with operating a machine shop out of your home unless you live way out in the countryside.
>>
>>49864378
It's american spelling.
Like color or flavor or humor.
>>
>>49853645
well damn that looks bitchin.

I know I'm now having masterwork weapons be pattern welded when I GM.
>>
>>49867802
Wouldn't that be honor?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.