[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> they do it for free

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: IG.jpg (278KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IG.jpg
278KB, 1600x1000px
> they do it for free
>>
>>49849304
Well, their lives are pretty damn cheap too so they don't stand to lose much by selling themself for free
>>
Hardly. There's food, clothing, equipment and training. Add in the plugged nickel they're actually worth and that comes to quite a hefty sum!
>>
>>49849704
Do they get shore leave? I know they're almost slaves of a sort, but does the Navy ever dock on some planet in between war zones and go like "alright, go live it up before you eat shit and die next fight"?
>>
>>49850377
This happens quite often, actually, considering most Guard regiments that survive a campaign are probably going to be warzone free for a year or more if they're lucky.

The 40k narrative in general likes to focus on the grimdark or in general the direst parts of the setting, and if you take a step back the Imperium is a lot more reasonable (but still completely insane) than the Codexes normally make it out to be.
>>
>>49850413
I pity the prostituted in any Imperial port when the Navy docks and unloads a horde of guard/voidsmen - and women.
>>
>>49850430
The people I pity are bystanders who always get the worst of it when a bunch of armed, entitled numb-skulls roll into town. Sure the army boys have some cash and they give the economy a boost, but they're also looking to take what they can. The commissars are the worst, especially when they've been drinking. You can tell because some of them keep their stupid hats on. The grunts might break your teeth, but the commissars, they'll blow your head clean off the second you tell them no.
>>
>he's a heretic
>in the imperium
>on a hive world
>he does it for free
>he takes his "job" very seriously
>he does it because it is the only amount of power & control he will ever have in his pathetic life
>he kills loyalists he doesn't like because whenever he gets upset he has a vision of the warp
>he kills arbites he doesn't like because they interfere with the large backlog of little slaaneshi cartoons he still has to watch
>he will never have a real job
>he will never move out of his cult's house
>he will never be at a healthy weight
>he will never know how to summon anything other than a nurgling
>he will never have a girlfriend
>he will never have any friends
>>
File: milspec.png (44KB, 1038x630px) Image search: [Google]
milspec.png
44KB, 1038x630px
>>49849304
Not really.
>>
>>49852329
How many people have been E-1 for 18 years?
>>
>>49852148
If the Gaunt's Ghosts novels are any indication, then the Guard actually does police itself very seriously. Guardsmen who fall out of line can end up getting lashed or even put up on the firing line. Then there's the conflict between regimental commissars and the ones employed by high command. Even they have to tread lightly, lest a politically opposed commissar catch on.
>>
>>49852369

Very few. But you can get busted down to E1 from anywhere if you fuck up bad enough. Lots of 20-year E1's in Leavenworth.
>>
they dont get a regular pay, but they get an allowance in local currency when they are planetside

if they live to retirement, they are paid in a lump sum for their service, so they can properly colonize wherever they ended their journey
>>
>>49852411
Only thing scarier than a pissed off commissar is a Gaunt-tier commissar who just saw some asshat commissar execute one of his men.
>>
>>49849304
Sluts
>>
File: lotr orcs.jpg (29KB, 572x239px) Image search: [Google]
lotr orcs.jpg
29KB, 572x239px
> they do it for free
>>
>>49852411
The Cain novels show a similar attitude.

Since it's Cain, he has a lighter touch lest he discourage them from saving his ass, but he still makes sure nobody gets too shitfaced and violent, and he's got enough of a rep that no other commissars want to tread on his toes.
>>
>>49850377
It's mentioned in the Cain novels. That's actually how a Genestealer cult gets spread: guardsmen fucking prostitutes (or "joygirls" as they call them").
>>
>>49855093
They do it for a prime choice of the menu.
Why do you think they were so pissed when the restaurant had a shitty choice?
>>
>>49852329
is this per week, per fortnight, per month or per year?
>>
>>49849304
Actually many regiments gift land to soldiers whenever they take or retake a planet they are allowed to settle there provided they've served their time.
>>
>>49855093
Where there's a whip...
>>
>>49856022
per month
>>
>>49852148
>>49850430

I love how even in 40,000 years, the shore leave experience will never change.

Nothing like a bar fight with a few sailors and Marines on a Friday.
>>
>>49857077
Some things might change, but I just have a hard time imagining that an organization as fucked-up and mismanaged as 40k's imperial guard or navy would have fixed that problem.
>>
>>49849304
No, they do it for the Emprah.
>>
>>49858089
T H I S ! FOR THE EMPEROR
>>
>>49855093
Fuck the makeup and costuming in those movies were great.
>>
>>49856083
I love you.
>>
One novel has one regiment where the guardsmen are paid in their homeworlds currency, which is worthless on other planets, but useful for any family left behind. Which led to one guardsman working out that his wife had died when he saw that he had a lot of money sitting in his account.

Another novel had guardsmen being paid in regimental scrip. There wasn't anything worth buying with scrip.

>>49850377
I doubt regiments get shipped anywhere for shore leave. But there can be decent gaps between fighting. Usually either waiting for a ship to pick them up or the travel time from one warzone to another.

Then there will be the bureaucratic screw ups. Imagine a regiment that gets sent to a planet where there is no war for them to fight. They work it out before they start one, but not before the ship that transported them there leaves.

Now imagine it happening to a Krieg regiment.
>>
>>49858978
>A Kreig regiment gets stuck on a peaceful paradise world after being promised a Tyranid incursion/Ork WAAAGH on some barren hellhole.
>>
>>49859024
Their commissars probably keep a stash of heretics in stasis for just that occasion.
Either that or grab some poor bastards, put makeup on them and pretend they're genestealer hybrids.
>>
>>49859024

> I know, guys! Let's read these Heretical texts-and FIGHT whatever comes!
>>
>>49859821
They're going to fight their commisar?
>>
File: klovis6.jpg (11KB, 193x261px) Image search: [Google]
klovis6.jpg
11KB, 193x261px
>>49852329
>less than 20 years
>Imperial Guard
>less than 20 years
>>
>>49859024
>Start digging trenches anyway
>Get mad that the sea keeps washing away their sand fortifications
>>
>>49859821
That's really damn orky
>>
Aren't Guardsmen supposed to be elite compared to the Planetary Defense Force grunts?

It'd make more sense for the Space Marines to not be paid. They're ascetic warrior-monks and live lives so busy they would have nothing to spend their money on.
>>
>>49859024
>the Kriegers spend years building trench lines and fortifications to fight off an enemy that doesn't exist
>>
>>49860064
The Death Korps takes its sandcastles very seriously
>>
>>49850413
Ciaphas Cain books do a good job of that, deconstructing the grimdark and reminding the readers that much of it is still quite livable, that reminds me, has sandy been active lately, I'm waiting for the next omnibus book
>>
So does the imperium have a currency? How do guardsmen pay for things on leave?
>>
>>49860146
There's planetary/system currencies, which are numerous, and there's an Imperial currency, the Throne.

There's probably a department of the bit of the Administratum that calculates the Imperial tithe that works out the local conversion rates.
>>
>>49855275
Fucking genestealers, they resulted in one of the few times he had to summarily execute people under his watch
>>
>>49857043
As a supporter of fem marines this art makes me sick
>>
>>49850377
On top of the other books mentioned, the Macharian Crusade series also portrays guardsmen doing all sorts of "normal" things like going to bars, restaurants etc. Even when they are in active duty and not on shore leave etc. if the planet/station/whatever they are stationed at isn't a warzone they have daily free time.
>>
>>49860206
Go to bed, Malcador
>>
>>49852221

https://soundcloud.com/doaty/vocaroo-s0hebu0yg5oc
>>
>>49859821
I love the idea of Krigers having heretical texts stashed away as their rainy day contingency plan.
Or that they may summon the same daemons repeatedly, to the point where they show up and say
"For Khorne's sake, Not you fucks AGAIN!"
>>
>>49849304
Thats not true, I bet their family gets loads of honour
>>
>>49849304
I AM A SOLDIER BORN TO DIE
>>
>>49856083
>tfw you don't wanna go to war today
>>
>>49860097
The krieg and love writefagotry is kinda like that
>>
>>49860097
>the Kriegers spend years building trench lines and fortifications to fight off an enemy that doesn't exist.
>eventually the oversight is noticed and they get moved out, leaving behind a massive network of unmanned fortifications
>some time later, xenos move in and take the fortifications for themselves
>the Kriegers are sent back to dismantle their own handiwork in one of their hardest fights yet
>needless violence tears the planet to pieces and makes normal life impossible
>even after the planet is retaken, its natural beauty and reputation as a paradise world are almost entirely lost
>>
>>49856043

Dis guy got it right. They homestead what they conquer according to several sources.
>>
>>49859024

>It's Terranis
>Nids are just late to the party don't worry they'll be here soon.
>>
>>49860092
They're 're a little better equipped on average, and some worlds tithe the best of their pdf, but many worlds send off whoever they can and are rich enough to equip their pdf well. Most guard regiments are probably better than most pdf regiments, but not by enough to make them elite.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.