/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Frontier General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

File: 120003_200w.jpg (27KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
120003_200w.jpg
27KB, 200x285px
>What is Frontier?
It's basically Modern but M15 and beyond. 10 sets are currently legal in the format.
>M15
>Khans of Tarkir
>Fate Reforged
>Dragons of Tarkir
>Magic Origins
>Battle for Zendikar
>Oath of the Gatewatch
>Shadows over Innistrad
>Eldritch Moon
>and recently, Kaladesh

>Why should I care?
Modern was a format created when previous extended format's were becoming unaffordable.

Even though Frontier is currently limited scope wise you have to remember that modern/extended was when it began.

>BANNED LIST
Currently none, possibly siege rhino in the future as suggested by others to prevent another CoCo winter, Collected Company has too much utility to ban but it's interaction with Siege Rhino is degenerate.o
>>
What kind of interaction is there between coco and rhino?
>>
>>49845549
>CoCo's interaction with Siege Rhino is degenerate
What interaction ? CoCo cares about 3 CMC or less and Rhino is 4 CMC
>>
>>49845549
Siege Rhino is converted mana cost 4, how could it combo with collected company?
>>
>>49845549
>Look, a format where i can play all my shitty cards+CoCo for the win
>>
>>49845549
>Collected Company has too much utility to ban but it's interaction with Siege Rhino is degenerate.o
Frontier players ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>49845749
Agreed, we should ban coco
>>
>>49845549
Just ignore Tarkir block. It's a shit block anyways.
>>
>>49846307
>No ally fetchlands

We can't it'd break a land cycle
>>
>>49846358
okay, then include them and ignore the nonlands.
>>
Okay, I'll just play fetchlands, flip Jace and a bunch of delve cards and kill everyone with gurmag angler and Tasiger
>>
I want to try out esper control, should I go dragons or non-dragons? Is the meta turning out to be more aggro or midrangey?

Did vice president jace ever come down in price? That shit was retarded.
>>
File: KLD_Deadlock_Trap_Gallery_0-1.jpg (328KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
KLD_Deadlock_Trap_Gallery_0-1.jpg
328KB, 1200x675px
Company is a necessary Evil. Control has acess to Snapzord, Dig, Cruise and efficient removal.
>>
>>49845549
>It's basically Modern
It's nothing like Modern
>>
>>49846511
I would go with Dragons, Silumgar's Scorn and Crux of Fate are dank.
>>
>>49846557
It's basically Extended.
>>
>>49845549

So is this a "thing" or just some fanshit? Like is Wizards supporting this new '''format'''?
>>
>>49847155
>it's only legitimate if there's "official" support

I hate you and people like you. I hate the way you think, I hate what you stand for, I hate your limited scope of imagination. Everytime I meet a person like you I make a point of systematically doing my best to humiliate and shun them. You are scum. Your are that white shit you can scrape of your teeth after not brushing for too long. You're a shit that doesn't come clean after a dozen wipes. You are a hair stuck in the mouth of society.
>>
>>49847302

So no,it's just some fanwank? Enjoy your memes, memetard.
>>
>>49847302
Aside from the fact that you're an asshole for calling someone bottom feeding scum for not liking your meme format, why should we care about frontier? It's not like the format offers anything particularly exciting. I've played the standard formats with all of these cards, I'm not falling over myself to go back to playing 4 color midrange mirrors again. Formats like magic 93/94, Chaos Draft, or Big Deck offer something really different then what we've all been playing in the "normal" formats.
>>
>>49847379
>Maybe if I replace enough syllables with the word meme, anons will understand what I'm trying to say

You're lazy and barely literate. Your points are nonexistent. Fuck you and the mule you rode in on.
>>
>>49847451
>missing the point

Nobody cares if you don't like frontier. We like frontier.

What I think is reprehensible is the idea that it's only legitimate or play-worthy if there's "official" support.
>>
>>49847521

And your "point" is that I'm evil because I don't care about your meme '''''format'''''. Be more salty tho, you're tears are delicious ;^)
>>
>>49847578
It's about the principal, faggioli
>>
>>49847576
Why do you like frontier though? Why should people play frontier? If wizards isn't supporting it, what sets it apart from all of the other more dynamic formats that I mentioned earlier?
>>
>>49847612

What principle? That you want there to be a format that people play? Tough shit, money talks and you're a faggot.
>>
>>49847668
>That you want there to be a format that people play?

Ladies and gentlemen, the average human.

>>49847661
This has been discussed to death, but if you're interested in frontier, I would be happy to go over my personal interest in it. However, if you're just looking to point out flaws in that logic and discount my totally arbitrary subset of an arbitrary hobby, then no.
>>
>>49847847
>HURR

Get bent retard, go shill your meme ''''''''format'''''''' on plebbit with the rest of the cancer.
>>
>>49847847
not him but the dude is basically asking, in more words than neccesary, "What is the appeal". I'm with him, what's the appeal?
>>
>>49847302
>Everytime I meet a person like you I make a point of systematically doing my best to humiliate and shun them.
How do you humiliate them?
>>
File: alium thread.png (231KB, 553x484px) Image search: [Google]
alium thread.png
231KB, 553x484px
>>49847947

Probably with his superior wit and calm composure.
>>
>>49847907
It's new, unsolved and more diverse than you'd expect. It's broader and higher powered than standard. It's weaker and cheaper than modern, so I get to play some actual Timmy pet cards.

Personally, the new and unsolved aspect do it for me the most
>>
File: en234sskld.jpg (16KB, 200x279px) Image search: [Google]
en234sskld.jpg
16KB, 200x279px
I want to build Company Hatebears using NuThalia, Hushwing Gryff, Knight of the White Orchid, Vryn Wingmare, Selfless Spirit and Elvish Mystic.
Suggestions? Should I get Tireless Tracker as well? Den Protector?
>>
>>49845549
This format is a joke. It's the same thing that happened when everybody thought Tiny Leaders and French Commander were going to become wide-played evergreen formats. It seriously feels like some butthurt ex-CoCo player decide to fabricate his own format and push it just so he can win again.
>>
>>49848989
>It's the same thing that happened when everybody thought Tiny Leaders and French Commander were going to become wide-played evergreen formats.
They do have their following, which is what EDH had for years before becoming official.
>>
>>49848989
These troll posts are a joke. It's the same thing, over and over again. It seriously feels like someone can't stand the thought of playing a format if thousands of other people aren't playing it.
>>
>>49849122
So you expect people to play your homebrew casual format with whatever wacky rules you thought up yesterday?
>>
File: pmfspec.jpg (381KB, 1854x471px) Image search: [Google]
pmfspec.jpg
381KB, 1854x471px
>>49849122

It's not about how many people are playing it, it's about the inevitable toxicity of the meta with the post-modern cardpool without an elaborate banlist.

You'd have more fun playing someone's half-baked singleton cube.
>>
>>49849122
Let me tell you why I personally disregard these homebrew formats - it's because they distract from the issues the other formats suffer from.

You think it's harmless, that's there is nothing wrong with people playing more Magic, well that's true. So apply that principle to the formats we already have. There are tonnes of people who want to play already-good formats like Modern and Legacy who can't. So why don't we solve those problems in those formats instead of pulling some format out of your asses so the people who already have all the cards in Modern and Legacy can occupy themselves with the "new thing".
>>
>>49849688
Every time people at my store bring up this new shit, I sit there and wonder what the fuck was the point of putting in the time to build a deck in all the other new shit that came before that nobody plays.

Pauper, 1v1 EDH, Two Headed Giant, Canadian Highlander, and Tiny Leaders (did not fall for the last three) - nobody's playing that shit now. We should have crucified the people who started that without committing to it.

I hate that every discussion about Legacy and Vintage just begins and ends with the Reserve List. I hate that the reason for that is because Wizards won't fucking announce that those formats are dead. I hate the people who say the formats are alive and well like saying a person on life support is "alive and well".

Just tell us the formats are fucking dead Wizards. Say it officially so we can stop thousands of hours worldwide talking about them.
>>
>>49849688
The modern and legacy players all chant "LOL POORFAG GET A JOB" and expect people to buy playsets of tarmogoyfs before they offer advice. Both formats suffer from being too expensive and are far beyond repair to introduce new players. A new format might fit the bill to lower the overall price of cards and get new players invested in a new format early.
>>
I swear these threads are more than half just modern players crying that wizards doesn't care about them
>>
>>49849851
They really are, we should just go back to shitting up modern fags thread if they can't just leave us alone to discuss our shit.
>>
>>49849795
No, why the fuck would you think prices would ever go down. If it becomes popular prices will go up no matter how many cards are out there because we don't know how many cards are out there. Imagine all of us talking about Modern how it would be cheaper and affordable and how it's "cheaper" but certainly not affordable. It's not going to be fucking any different for Frontier. If Wizards' solution is to create a new format every time the secondary market goes to shit, we basically just have Extended.

I am an established Modern and Legacy player. I got my shit cheap. How well do you think I would be received if I told my fellow players a) that our collections have to be devalued by 90% or more to save this format and b) we have to tell new players to not play this format. I have never told a player to play Modern or Legacy; but I do keep my mouth shut. Do you think other Modern or Legacy players see that?

This is the underlying problem in all Magic. We think our fucking cardboard has value. Stores hold board game nights where people gather around a $40 box of stuff and replay it to death but only fucking card players demand our shit has legitimacy because we're using a mortgage payment in plastic sleeves.

Stores should have boxes upon boxes of those Chinese fakes for sale; the only reason why they don't is because fucking Magic players will report the store to Wizards. We eat our own.
>>
>>49848850
Splash black for rhino and value.

\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
File: 1461311200094.gif (83KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
1461311200094.gif
83KB, 265x370px
>>49849781
Pauper and 1v1 EDH are highly played where I live. I honestly dislike Commander Duel, tho.
Some people are building Tiny Leaders and enlisting people to play. I think i'll build a Toshiro MBC Deck to play with them.

I often visit my hometown's LGS, they replaced FNM's Standard to what they call "Extended" which is "Frontier m13 foward".
Funny that they don't belive Frontier will be a thing and don't even like the idea, lel.

Honestly, if you like the format, support it. If you don't, just leave it alone that's probably the best way to kill it.
>>
>>49849928
>we basically just have extended.

I like this idea. Can we just bring extended back?
>>
>>49850158
If people didn't played Extended back then, why would they play it now? Frontier's Non-Rotating perk is what makes it interesting.
>>
>>49849781
>Canadian Highlander
What?
>>
>>49849781
Just play Legacy and Vintage with proxies like most players do.

WOTC should launch a replacement eternal format that excludes Reserved List cards.
>>
>>49850158
We can't. Ever. Because players (i.e. people) are vindictive shits who jump on every opportunity to say someone else was wrong.

If they brought back Extended after killing it, they would look wrong. Even if it was a good fucking idea their PR department just can't have players talking shit about it and making Wizards look bad. It's why we still have the Reserve List because absolutely under no circumstances can a business purposely generate negative press for itself.

It's why our politics are such shit. You can't say, "Look, we fucked up" without some fucker castrating you over it.

That's our world. It's a world of fucking cowards, unforgiving assholes, and the people who blindly listen to those assholes.

>>49850396
Some 1v1 100 singleton no-commander format where you have points to "buy" nut banned cards to put in your deck. If you want Lotus you can have it.

Basically impossible to enforce deck integrity and has an even higher price point than regular singleton formats on account that you can actually play with fucking Moxen or Ancestral Recall. It came out of Victoria in Canada and popular at ONE store. I'm willing to bet the only fucking reason we hear about it at all is because the Wizards contractors/shills Loading Ready Run people come from Victoria.
>>
>>49849951
>I often visit my hometown's LGS, they replaced FNM's Standard to what they call "Extended" which is "Frontier m13 foward".
Stores aren't allowed to use non-sanctioned formats for FNM.
>>
So a newborn unsupported format which requires fetchlands and has glaring issue cards like coco and seige rhino? I'll pass. If it becomes supported I'll play with it. Otherwise I'll stick to standard.
>>
>>49850451
>Stores aren't allowed to use non-sanctioned formats for FNM.
kys
>>
File: 1456708031425.png (115KB, 279x200px) Image search: [Google]
1456708031425.png
115KB, 279x200px
>>
>>49845549
The reason not many people play is because it isn't supported. The reason because of that is if it is unsupported then there will be no tournaments (official), no sanctioned events, and pretty much nobody in your area is going to be willing to buy in and play with you. If you can't play a format regularly then you won't buy into it.
>>
File: Image.png (115KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
115KB, 223x311px
>>49850497
>>49850509
I keep bringing this up but why aren't all blue decks playing 4 copies of stroke in midrange land. Harsh scrutiny also seems pretty dope against early aggression
>>
>>49845549
>unaffordable
>Jace, Fetch lands

>Why should I care?
Iunno. If i'm buying those I might as well just finish off my modern decks. Lands will always be the the killers in affording a format, and sure they are cheap now, but so long as they are in modern they'll go up in price. Ulm and Jace as well.
And if you are buying expensive shit like that, just finish off with the Lil of the Veil and Tarmogoyf and call it a day.

Also are we just making new format whenever there is a Style change? Do we get a Planar Chaos only format?

>Just stirring shit.
>>
>>49850451
Jesus, call the fucking cops dude
>>
Is there anyone playing this on cockatrice? I don't have a computer right now but I'll be getting one soon.

I got the itchies for new format brewan and testan
>>
Can we stop discussing this shit format? Like holy shit, stop.Just go play modern, or standard, or pauper, commander, tiny leaders, legacy, vintage, like there are so many options and you choose the worst one, the one not even given to you. Pathetic.
>>
>>49847576
Ok, going to have to stop you right there.

'You' like frontier. Not 'we'.

Like, extended already exists.

You remind me of the Tiny Leader kids.
>>
>>49849951
Stop.

Tiny leaders is trash.
>>
>>49850449
Good post anon.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (465KB, 1520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
465KB, 1520x1080px
>>49848989
He obviously wants to play that dank CoCo Siege Rhino interaction
>>
>>49852024
We haven't even started because an unreasonable number of people are startlingly butthurt about this for some unfathomable reason
>>
>>49853363

Nobody is butthurt, you're just using the "new ghostbusters" defense.

1. Put out uninteresting product that nobody wants.
2. Attack people for not wanting said product.
3. Paint the reaction you got from step 2 as a controversy.
4. Your product is being attacked and is therefore relevant.

You want a better reaction? Make a better product. The OP is shit, and we currently have no reason to believe the format it advertises is good. Stop using the social warfare tactics of a twelve-year-old girl.
>>
>>49848162
>Personally, the new and unsolved aspect do it for me the most
But that isn't a constant any more than Modern not being solved was. Only a rotating format will routinely have significant changes. The problem then becomes similar to standard, although having an extended standard WOULD at least make cards hold value for longer periods of time, and have more diverse interactions.
>>
>>49854559
>You want a better reaction? Make a better product.

We already did that. They literally took the bulk of Wizards market research and created a format that is the definite pinnacle of Magic. Frontier contains every single thing good about Magic's design, and stripped out all of the mistakes that R&D previously made.

Combo and Control were mistakes, the game was designed to be literally creatures attacking for the win. Frontier is the absolute apex of that design philosophy, and thus the ideal format for eternal Magic.

Just think. A format with no bullshit combos for the win, a format with no assholes counter your spells unfairly (like what the fuck, I don't even get to play my cards?), and a format dominated by the ultimate skill testing card, Collected Company. It's truly the future of Magic.
>>
>>49854656

Is this the anon that claimed that esper dragons was a "midrange" deck because it had creatures, and then stopped posting when people replied with urza's mono-u decks and RTR revelation control that had morphlings and aetherlings respectively? I can't tell. Control is dead yo. The pro tour was won by a deck that only played 9 counterspells.

The "creatures the tappening" memers are newfags pretending to be 93fags.
>>
>>49852785
Literally why?
Sounds like the best way to play a 1v1 Singleton with a Commander.
I know Geist is gay. But we have ways to keep it at bay.
>>
>>49845549
>Collected Company has too much utility to ban
Horseshit.

And as literally everyone else in this thread has pointed out to your dumb ass CoCo and Rhino don't fucking interact.
>>
>>49855344
I've only been playing MTG since February and I have literally only heard of tiny leaders referenced a few times online. With a little research I can see it's been around at least two years. Must be a shit format.
>>
>>49854656
This has to be pure sarcasm or a ruse. There's no way.
>>
>>49849074
I love tiny but never gonna be supported someguy "TM"
>>
>>49855421
Tell that to MaRo.
>>
>>49846307
>>49846358
>people can't even decide how frontier should be played

>>49846399
>actually suggesting this

cuck format
cuck thread
>>
>>49854656
4C Rally would be in though.
>>
Reposting Quick Red because memes.

4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Reckless Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Frenzied Goblin
2 Monastery Swiftspear

4 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Titan's Strength
2 Hordeling Outburst
2 Built to Smash

18 Mountain
>>
>>49847302
>Your are that white shit you can scrape of your teeth after not brushing for too long

It's called fucking plaque you mongoloid
>>
>format is trash
>thread is trash
rhymes like poetry
>>
>>49850681
it's cause it's a limited target counter, while great for side-decking against high cost decks. But most people don't want to run the chance of drawing a "useless" counterspell
>>
>>49855705
>Wanting an already solved format

It's a good thing you memedern retard
>>
>>49856629
Keep your cancer to modern threads faggot.
>>
>>49852778
Congratulations you literally think all opposing opinions on 4chan are one person.

You mongoloid.
>>
>>49847302

You really need to step the fuck back and re-evaluate your life.

Enjoy playing Modern with a self-set limited handful of sets.

The whole reason these fucking formats exist is you can play them anywhere, at any time, against anyone who also has the same format legal deck. Which is all the more likely likely because it's OFFICIAL.

Now step down off your high-donkey you total ass.
>>
So what would be considered format staples? My guess is

Coco
Baby jace
Titi
Fetchland
Eldritch e
And reality smashers
>>
I've been thinking of a deck that uses combustible gearhulk with delve cards like dig through time and treasure cruise but im not sure of what kind of cards to use as delve fuel

anybody have any good suggestions
>>
File: 52.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
52.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>49860200
This would probably be fine, as long as you can recoup the value later.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.