[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dungeon world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11

File: Photo-studio-with-umbrella.jpg (451KB, 2048x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Photo-studio-with-umbrella.jpg
451KB, 2048x1024px
Dungeon world is the best system.
prove me wrong.
>>
>>49845411
Ok.

It's not the best system.
>>
>>49845428
Eh um wrong.
it has MoRe fetures tHan aNY System i know
it also has BoNds And iTs also not a game its a social grop story telling
>>
>>49845411
>>49845428
How are we going to escape this stalemate?
>>
File: delet.jpg (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
delet.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
>>49845411
>>
>>49845494
>EMRHNYSBNT

I don't get it.
>>
>>49845512
Hehe funny meme. but is it about DOING AMAZING THINGS and STRUGGLEING TOGETHER in a WORLD THAT HAS MANY THINGS TO EXPLORE like dungeon world is?
>>
File: performance bicycle.jpg (285KB, 725x829px) Image search: [Google]
performance bicycle.jpg
285KB, 725x829px
>>49845556
Your forgot to mention TRANSGRESSING RPG BOUNDARIES and BEING DIVERSE AND INCLUSIVE but please someone kill this thread.
>>
>>49845556
>DOING AMAZING THINGS and STRUGGLEING TOGETHER in a WORLD THAT HAS MANY THINGS TO EXPLORE
so basically it's an RPG? wew, laddie...
>>
>>49845411
That's your opinion
>>
>>49845835
But worse.
>>
File: Shit.png (274KB, 460x483px) Image search: [Google]
Shit.png
274KB, 460x483px
>>
i like how no one posted anything about why dungeon world is bad. just memes.
>>
>>49847129
Found the r/dungeonworld
>>
>>49847190
haha nice meme but what is the problem with the system? its not hardcore enought?
>>
>>49847359
>Projection
>Implying
>>
>>49847374
but what is the problem with the system?
>>
>>49847359
Who needs well-constructed arguments when you can just post "back to tumblr"?
>>
Playing with a min/maxing faggot who like to break games?

Whip out your Dungeon World campaign and shut that faggot down.
>>
>>49847359
it disposes any semi-serious attempt at simulation in favor of narrativism. i want more mechanical constraints in my game, derived from "real world" physics.
>>
>>49845411
>>49845428

Strike! is better.
>>
To actually answer OP's question I've had a lot of fun with it and it suits me and my group's style but I can definitely see where a more crunchy system would be enjoyed by others.

There's no perfect system, only flavors.
>>
>>49847415
>implying this won't result in you getting ditched as GM
>>
>>49845411
Its to SJW for me.
>>
>>49847488
The min-maxer is usually the guy everyone wants gone regardless so win-win
>>
>>49847129
because we've had this thread far far too many times, no one can be bothered to have it again, memes are all that's left
>>
>>49847606
This, baka omorashi ahaego

The cuck numale WARNING COLORATION rules weren't playtested enough.
>>
>>49847606
Why is it SJW?
>>
>ITT: Bunch of people who hate Dungeon World act like DW fans to make DW fans look bad

In brief? Dungeon World doesn't simulate anything. Every outcome is based on player choice or GM fiat.

Character creation is basically mad-libs on a pre-existing template.

Nothing is simulated. The difference between "archer misses", "archer has to shoot again and "archer has to move closer to hit" is entirely the player's choice.

Basically the game is meant for "you all meet in an inn" dungeon crawling, for a group that can improvise well but isn't great at maths.
>>
r/dungeonworld and r/rpg are here, guys.
Report and hide.
>>
For those asking about why some people don't like Dungeon World I guess I'll have a go

For me it's primarily because it tries to use PbtA mechanics to play D&D but in the process loses the strong points of the PbtA system. Since the party are expected to be a cohesive group you lose the internal drama which these games are usually good at, the circumstances and the way the moves work mean that unlike other PbtA games there's no conflict cycle which makes the games much less interesting, in other PbtA games advancements also create or signify character development as opposed to simply becoming stronger, in DW you just level up and get better at your class stuff, the moves rely too much on mechanical as opposed to narrative consequences meaning that encounters wind up being less interesting.

To be fair though it's own creator did say that Dungeon World was made for "people who wanted to play OD&D but couldn't be bothered learning the rules"
>>
>>49847481
Stop shilling Strike! Why does tg keep shilling Strike!?
>>
>In brief? Dungeon World doesn't simulate anything. Every outcome is based on player choice or GM fiat.
Coin toss, basically. But with 400 pages to explain how to interpret the coin toss.

>Character creation is basically mad-libs on a pre-existing template.
As in, characters shallow and one-directional.

>Nothing is simulated. The difference between "archer misses", "archer has to shoot again and "archer has to move closer to hit" is entirely the player's choice.
Freeform. But with coin toss. Thrilling.

>Basically the game is meant for "you all meet in an inn" dungeon crawling, for a group that can improvise well but isn't great at maths.
Entry game for kids?
>>
>>49845411
The best system is the one that everyone enjoys
Not everyone enjoys Dungeon World
Therefore Dungeon World is not the best system
>>
File: us gamers, huh.png (221KB, 951x882px) Image search: [Google]
us gamers, huh.png
221KB, 951x882px
>>49847811
>people who wanted to play OD&D but couldn't be bothered learning the rules
In other worlds, Dungeon World is marketed toward people who like the idea of a group of friends playing D&D like they saw in their Big Bazinga Theory, but don't want to learn the rules or even be associated with "gaming".

Pic related sums up a lot of what I hate about DW and most of these "indie" games as a whole. Why waste money on actual production values for your product when you can sprinkle in some non sequitur pop culture references to show how geeky you are? What the fuck does Spinal Tap or random Rush lyrics have to do with roleplaying? Not a damn thing, but if you can get a chuckle out of your typical casual player it'll detract them from the fact you made a 400+ page PDF of "No rules, just MAKE IT UP!" faff.
>>
>>49847765
Sort of a silly implication that any other system is any more complex at maths.
>>
>>49847854
Because it's really better than dungeon world.
>>
>>49847984
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NORMIIEESSS FUCKING ESSSJAYDUBBBLEWUUUUU
>>
>>49848030
>anon gives reasonable answer
>dwfag spergs
Yep, they are really here.
>>
>>49848007
I haven't been to /tg/ for a while but are people really shilling the Pathfinder of 4e?

Jesus Christ how horrifying.
>>
>>49847481
I came here to make this post.

Strike! 4 life.
>>
>>49847129

It's just virt donning his "annoying DW fanboy" persona again, "ironically" shitposting instead of regular shitposting. It shows up with depressing regularity.
>>
>>49845411
thats not how you spell Anima: Beyond Fantasy
>>
>>49848063
Pathfinder is a minor rules update.

Strike!, in contrast, removes attributes and the d20, and basically everything else but the design philosophy.
>>
>>49847857
Yep you basically said all the same stuff I did before.

>>49847984
If more people join the hobby, maybe I'll be able to play games without having to GM!

I dont get this pathological hatred and fear of expanding the community. Everyone's new at some point. If you get an ex-DW player in your group, what's the problem?

>"in this game, you write your character yourself!"
>"also, different characters have different abilities!"
If they're not sold on your alternative system of choice by that point, they were never going to be interested in it.
>>
>>49848063
I don't get it either. I'm a 4rry and Strike reads like shit to me. It managed to take out the best parts of 4e and turn it to autistic numbercrunching, so I guess it works for its target audience?
>>
>>49848981
Basically that, yeah.
>>
Still shit, btw.
>>
>>49847415
Ok, wait.
Memes aside, will running Dungeon World actually help me reform the min maxing asshole munchkins in my group?
I really want people that I can tell a story with, you know?
>>
>>49851187
No, it won't. It's a (bad) game, not a brainwash device.
>>
>>49851187

At the least it'll frustrate his minmaxing habits, and maybe subtly encourage him to find somebody else to DM for him. It could also encourage him to look at play in a different way, but it's more likely he'll be all "this game's shit, I'm out."
Give it a go, you've got nothing to lose but bad players.
>>
Is it possible to convert characters to Dungeon World? I have a 5e campaign going, and the players are just about to hit 6th level. Is it too late to change?
>>
>>49845411
Prove that it is the best.
>>
>>49851375
>>49851359
Why did you keep snipits of Vertposting about? Why would you subject your computer to that?
>>
>>49847415
>implying you can't min/max in dw just as easily
do you even play games faggot?
>>
>>49847811
what's pbta
>>
>>49851397
>anon don't shares the same vision as me about this shitty game I think it's the best
>it's virt! I know it!
Go hang yourself.
>>
>>49851416
Powered by the Apocalypse, i.e., any game that's a hack of Apocalypse World.
>>
You are a faggot.
Faggots love gay shit.
You love Dungeon World.
Dungeon World is gay shit.
>>
>>49848340
No, fuck off. We don't need new people. When we die the games die with us, and that's how it should be.
>>
>>49851428

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, and shitposts like crazy, it's a fucking duck, anon.

Those screencaps are retarded, and so are you.
>>
>>49851187
storyfags leave
>>
>>49851297
>anyone who doesn't play my way is bad
gee, I wonder why no one loves you.
>>
File: 2016-02-02 22_19_21.png (36KB, 1070x256px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-02 22_19_21.png
36KB, 1070x256px
>>49851461
You got offended, anon? Back to r/rpg with you.
>>
>>49851428
Hi virt.
>>
>>49851485

If you're trying to convince people you're not Virt, maybe you should try not sounding like a smug cunt like him.
>>
>>49851503
It's hard to do when people get OFFENDED so easily. This only proves you have Virt PTSD.

>>49851498
Not him, anon.
>>
>>49851523
Hi virt.
>>
>>49847129

> hp bloat / ez shit
> half the class moves are combat maneuvers NOT fiction split points
> race/class restrictions
> class-based HP to solidify the combat pecking order
> pre-generated stats
> fans who refuse to admit any of the game's issues and shout "HOMEBREW IT" to any potential complaints

Honestly, it's not horrendous. I know that is shocking coming from me, but it's not. The REAL problem with Dungeon World is that it's a mediocre game that is constantly presented as an exceptional one, when in fact nothing about it is exceptional.
>>
>>49847129
Cancer does not need to be refuted.
>>
>>49851428
Nigga, I don't even play the fucking game. I have zero care.

I just know shit when I smell it.
>>
>>49851523

>i'm not retarded, everyone else is OFFENDED

>derp a derp a derp
>>
>>49851523
so is "lel offended" the new "only PRETENDING to be retarded"?
>>
>>49848340
Because if they learn with dungeon world they take a lot of the bad habits of dungeon world with them. This is true of pretty much every system but dungeon world is one of the most annoying.
>>
>>49852189
What kind of habits?
>>
>>49845411
No single system can do everything or suit all roleplaying needs. Also, given that Rpg's, like much other media are subjectively enjoyable to individuals, making a blanket statement is inherently unprovable. You simply cannot take a thing that not everyone likes or dislikes in the same way and hope for any real answer. I might as well be saying my banana is the best banana in the world.
>>
>>49852392

Liking Dungeon World.
>>
>>49848981
>It managed to take out the best parts of 4e and turn it to autistic numbercrunching

How?
It has no modifiers.
All damage is 2-3.
Player HP is always 10.
How the fuck is it number crunching?
>>
>>49845411
How's that Cyberpunk campaign you're running in it going?
>>
>>49845411
>prove me wrong.
"Best" is an objective term, and therefore inherently inaccurate when applied to things which can only be measured against each other by subjective means.

There, you're wrong.
>>
>>49851369
not really, the way characters level is too different
>>
>>49851369
Depends on the level of the characters. Up to mid level, I'd say characters convert from 5e into DW pretty well. Later, casters may feel a bit constrained.
>>
Hey! As someone who's never actually heard of dungeon world, could someone compare it to 5e or pathfinder for me? Is it just another generic fantasy tabletop?
>>
>>49848177
>Strike!, in contrast, removes attributes and the d20, and basically everything else but the design philosophy.
Sell me on it.
>>
>>49845411

It's an ok system, though it does have some mathematical flaws especially lategame where it's just not mathematical sense for some characters to participate in combat for instance.
>>
>>49854572
It tries to be D&D and fails HARD. 5e is best for novices, hands down.
>>
>>49854572
>Is it just another generic fantasy tabletop?
more or less, it works using a 2d6+stat dice system, on a 6 or less you fail and something bad happens, on a 7-9 you succeed but have to pay a price, on a 10+ you fully succeed. Rolls are for hitting things, defending people, knowing things, observing things, convincing people, or just generally not dying. You get XP by:
>rolling a failure
>doing your character's alignment thing (once per session)
>finding loot (ops)
>discovering some lore (ops)
>defeating a threat (ops)
>>
>>49854632
It's not an easy sell.

Basically, do you like 4e type grid based combat, or at least could see yourself grow to like it? If you don't, you may as well stop reading. If you do...

Strike! takes the 4e formula and boils it down to the bare essentials into a generic system with focus on quick play and the least math possible. It uses a d6, and largely replaces bonuses with 5e style advantage/disadvantage.

Skill resolution is actually sorta PbtA- like, you get some combination of success/bonus/twist/cost depending on the result of the roll. It's very bare-bones (although there are a lot of optional sub-systems)

Combat is using the same mechanics, except your results on a d6 are crit/hit/graze/miss, and instead of using your skills you usually use powers (like in 4e, although improvised actions are actually really powerful in this game). Some powers can be used at-will, some are encounter powers, some have other restrictions.

Your powers are determined by your Class, which is then further modified by your Role. Roles are the same as in 4e (Striker, Defender, Leader, Controller with the addition of Blaster, which takes the AoE damaqge from Controller). They all give some passive benefits as well as a few active powers you can use with your Role action (same as Swift/minor/bonus actions in the modern D&D editions).

This means you can freely combine class archetypes; for example, the Necromancer class that would have been most likely a simple Controller in 4e could be a life draining vampire knight (defender), a corpse exploder D2 necro (blaster), or whatever you want to combine it with. This gives a lot of versatility to classes without having to stat out a few dozen sub-classes. There's 10 classes in the core game, 2 in supplements that are already out, and another 10 in the playtest phase. They all play really different.

Everything is made to be fluff neutral, which is a drawback if you want the game to come with fluff already supplied.
>>
>>49854752
I read your pitch and two more revies and I must say that sounds incredibly shit.

Why would you want to play a tactical combat game using narrative-focused mechanics?

>Your powers are determined by your Class, which is then further modified by your Role. Roles are the same as in 4e (Striker, Defender, Leader, Controller with the addition of Blaster, which takes the AoE damaqge from Controller). They all give some passive benefits as well as a few active powers you can use with your Role action (same as Swift/minor/bonus actions in the modern D&D editions).

Why are they using classes in a system that simultaneously advertises itself as SETTING AGNOSTIC and encourages reflavoring? And uses a narrative-focused mechanic to boot?

Did everybody taking part in the creation of that thing have a stroke during development or something?

If you want to make a narrative game, make a narrative game; if you want to make a crunchy tactical combat game, make a crunchy tactical combat game. What the fuck is this supposed to be?
>>
>anything with dungeon in name
>anything using shitty pleb "dungeon fantasy" tropes, desecrating Tolkien's ideas and stealing his races without any understanding, and thus mutating them into abominable caricatures in the process, bastardizing classical sword and sorcery, and turning it all into colorful, tasteless pulp, turning old legends and mythologies into yet another source of gimmicky monsters and magical effects
>good system
No matter if your mechanics are narrative, dnd holy cow ridden tacticool wargame, or sim as much as I like RQ6/Mythras, it's "Dungeon Fantasy" splat is pure shite, the system running on this can't be anything more than a chunk of crap.
>>
>>49854830
>Why would you want to play a tactical combat game using narrative-focused mechanics?

Narrative for out of combat, crunchy for in-combat. Although overall it's more like gamist for both.

>Why are they using classes in a system that simultaneously advertises itself as SETTING AGNOSTIC and encourages reflavoring? And uses a narrative-focused mechanic to boot?

The classes are usually generic shit like Summoner who summons shit, Martial Artist who uses stances, Buddies who has a second character etc. The important part about them is their mechanics, the name is just to give a quick description of that.

The character creation is also two step, you split the the "combat" side of your character from the skill/fluff side of it. A Martial artist could be a monk, or just as easily a weapon switching Bloodborne character, or maybe a druid who switches between shapes rapidly. It really doesn't matter, as long as you find a way to marry the fiction to the crunch.

>If you want to make a narrative game, make a narrative game; if you want to make a crunchy tactical combat game, make a crunchy tactical combat game. What the fuck is this supposed to be?

It's an RPG with a heavy tactical combat element with simplified gamist/narrative mechanics to bridge the time between two combats.
>>
>>49845411
Its not the best system but its the only system that I still enjoy GMing. Because I get to suprise myself.

It's very good for getting people into roleplaying, pretty much everyone I know that started with DnD is now a powergaming minmaxin fag. That includes me
>>
>>49854642
Seems like most games with progression systems tend to fall apart near the end. D&D is certainly not immune.
Although DW is worse than most systems because characters progress quite fast. If you use the EXP system as-written, it works best for short games.
>>
>>49854888
>heavy tactical combat element
>Uses a single d6 for resolution
No

A heavy tactical combat game implies that combat requires consideration and stacking of odds in your favor, I can fucking guarantee you that's not happening with a 1d6 mechanic, as the small die size means that you will not be able to actually stack more than maybe 3 modifiers and still see any results from the rest.

If the classes are generic anyway why have classes at all? Classes literally only make sense if they present a way to play a specific archetype which in your setting requires focused training to the exclusion of other stuff. Having "generic classes" is like having a screwdriver with a grip at each end and no actual screwdriver, it's completely pointless.

Also, then why have a SECOND class system by another name in the form of the archetype system? What point does that serve? How does that make your character more compellingor make creating a cool character easier than just having an open ended character system?

In DnD, internal world logic dictates that people are specialised and a strong paladin can not also be a strong mage. The classes are specific because the represent a certain archetype of the world. If you're not doing this there is literally no reason to have a class system, it just artificially limits what your character can be.

>as long as you find a way to marry the fiction to the crunch

flavortexting is despicable cancer.
>>
>>49854888
>>49854974
cont'd

>A Martial artist could be a monk, or just as easily a weapon switching Bloodborne character, or maybe a druid who switches between shapes rapidly
If all these play alike except for flavor, why bother with rolling the dice at all? Why pretend to play a game when you can just go and fucking freeform when even that provides you with more narrative consequences than this abomination?

Or why not use an actual crunchy game for the combat so there are actual mechanical differences between your martial monk, your shapeshifting druind and your bloodborne-weapon-switcher?

If you honestly believe this is a tactical combat game with narrative non-combat, compare it to odnd or 2e, because that's exactly what these are. The obvious difference is that these games actually have heavy combat with granular resolution and complex rules interaction instead of 1d6 bullshit.

So it basically is just another drop of piss in the ocean of horrible rules light "narrative" games made by people who can't write mechanics for people who think flavortexting is the epitome of roleplaying.
>>
>>49854974
>A heavy tactical combat game implies that combat requires consideration and stacking of odds in your favor, I can fucking guarantee you that's not happening with a 1d6 mechanic, as the small die size means that you will not be able to actually stack more than maybe 3 modifiers and still see any results from the rest.

Which is why it's using advantage/disadvantage mechanic.

>If the classes are generic anyway why have classes at all? Classes literally only make sense if they present a way to play a specific archetype which in your setting requires focused training to the exclusion of other stuff. Having "generic classes" is like having a screwdriver with a grip at each end and no actual screwdriver, it's completely pointless.

Generic fluff. NOT generic mechanics. Classes are mechanically distinct, but with mallable fluff.

>Also, then why have a SECOND class system by another name in the form of the archetype system? What point does that serve? How does that make your character more compellingor make creating a cool character easier than just having an open ended character system?

I don't understand this question. What do you mean by second class?

>In DnD, internal world logic dictates that people are specialised and a strong paladin can not also be a strong mage. The classes are specific because the represent a certain archetype of the world. If you're not doing this there is literally no reason to have a class system, it just artificially limits what your character can be.

Okay, just to clear it up, here's how character creation goes in the next post.

>flavortexting is despicable cancer.

Why?
>>
>>49855017
>Which is why it's using advantage/disadvantage mechanic.

So you can also have a re-roll, for a total of 4 modifiers, congratulations. Now compare it to a d20 system or a d% system. A heavy combat system needs granularity.

>Generic fluff. NOT generic mechanics. Classes are mechanically distinct, but with mallable fluff.

Mechanics must follow from fluff, this is an RPG, not a boardgame.

>I don't understand this question. What do you mean by second class?

Archetypes are basically just a second class system. Everybody must have one, it defines and focuses you character, it defines and focuses your character, etc. That's a class mechanic.
Now, as this game does not have fluff to justify this specific mechanic, why is it there?

>Why?

Because it is the cheap cop out, creating neither compelling mechanics nor compelling narrative. In a mechanical game, don't flavortext, create new effects, the granularity should be there to support that.
In a narrative game, there should be no need for flavortexting because if a narrative game does not allow your character to work as his mechanics describe natively, it's a shitty narrative game. A narratives game's only point is to accurately describe your character in the narrative context, if it does not do that, why play it?

Flavortexting is what happens when someone reads rule #0 and fails to apply it to either a mechanical or a narrative context. If a game encourages it, that basically tells me the authors don't actually know shit about RPGs.
>>
>>49855017
>>49855007
So, let's create a Druid and a Monk

- You have an idea for the character

- You create the "fluff"/out of combat part of your character by selecting/creating the skills/tricks/drawbacks he has. Here, there are no classes, everything goes. At this part, a martial artist and a druid would play very differently, as they'd have entirely different skills. The druid would be all about nature, while the monk may be about beer brewing or something.

+ (optional) You may have the choice to pick up a kit to further gain some out of combat abilities.

- You decide on how this character would act in combat. For the example's sake, let's go with both picking Martial Artist. However, since the Druid wants to have Access to healing magic, he decides on picking the Leader Role for the healing, while the Monk wants to be a mobile drunken kung-fu guy and so picks Striker. Then, they pick out 3 stances from the Martial Artists' list of stances, and assign their fluff. The Monk guy will probably want to be evasive (flickering flame stance) and able to fight multiple foes (tempest stance), while the druid will grow bark skin (stonewall) and/or use vines to hit people from afar (willow whip). Yes, they got 1 more stance to pick but I can't be arsed. They also get the Stance Focus encounter power, which lets them superboost a stance's effect for a bit. Druid fluffs it as strong magic, Drunken monk fluffs it as getting shitfaced.

+ (optional) You may have the choice to pick up a feat to further modify your characters.

The two characters will act significantly different in both in and out of combat. The Druid will be handing out healing and support along with being able to switch between having reach and having defense. The Monk will go into the fray swaying between foes and punching them in the dick.
>>
>>49855059
I disagree with both of your assertions. I think modifiers are less important for tactical combat than effects, and I'd also note that many successful RPGs use trappings (M&M3, Savage Worlds) as a method of marrying fluff and crunch.

However, since that's how you feel, and you don't seem to change your mind any time soon, there's no real point in wasting any more breath on this.
>>
>>49855102
We can just agree it's shit.
>>
>>49855140
Sure, whatever makes you content.
>>
>>49848340
>I dont get this pathological hatred and fear of expanding the community. Everyone's new at some point. If you get an ex-DW player in your group, what's the problem?
people don't need DW-tier rules to get started in RPGs. some people get started with rolemaster and it works just fine for them.
>>
>>49851297
>Give it a go, you've got nothing to lose but bad players.
too bad if the bad players happen to be good friends though, einstein.
>>
>>49851544
>Hi virt.
sorry, but i'm varg
>>
>>49852189

3.5/PF causes the worst habits.
>>
>>49851564
and allegations that someone is a witch need not be proven
retard

>>49851750
>lel offended
>new
okay

>>49852392
>What kind of habits?
narrativism > simulationism
>>
>>49847481
I've seen so much shilling of Strike! without any details at all about what Strike! actually is that I've just come to assume that it doesn't actually exist and people suggest it as a joke. Please, do not take this post as an opportunity to tell me about Strike!, as I don't want the illusion to be ruined.
>>
>>49855247

Like what? I doubt you can prove a causal link between 3.PF and anything, honestly.
>>
>>49855059
>heavy combat system needs granularity.

Your a jackass. The system itself can be simple if the mechanics of each class add complexity.
>>
>>49855221

Do you not see your friends outside of game night? 'Cause if one of your friends doesn't like the system you're playing and skips out on game night doesn't mean he ceases to be your friend.
Or if it does, then maybe he wasn't a good friend after all.
>>
>>49851187

Probably. Like, you can try to minmax in DW, but it's really hard to call what's "actually good" before you know what sort of game the GM will be playing. Furthermore, the best way to minmax DW is to get engaged and try to roleplay into your good rolls, which isn't a bad thing.

Will they be reformed though? Hard to say. Though I do subscribe to the "play to win" mentality in videogames, I don't think it's a very good mentality in rpg games (because what's there actually to "beat" when a GM is setting everything up piece by piece anyway? It's not a competition or a race you are participating in). Making munchkins realize this probably needs more than just switching system.
>>
>>49852189

Bad habits such as cooperating with the GM, thinking of it as a team game and understanding how to get involved in the process of making a session by being creative and thinking outside the box?

Yeah terrible habits.
>>
>>49855059
>Mechanics must follow from fluff, this is an RPG, not a boardgame.
Bullcrap. There are tons of generic systems with no setting, Strike! is to tactical RPGs what GURPS is to simulation RPG. Additionally, RPGs are a direct derivative from boardgames.
>Now, as this game does not have fluff to justify this specific mechanic, why is it there?
For gamepay reasons, and I'm sure you already knew the answer, you dense motherfucker.
>>
>>49854898

Yeah, DW is a good system that can give you a breath of fresh air and maybe some inspiration. It's also an excellent beginner's system for both players and GM:s since it's easy to learn and sort of teaches you the ropes of pnp:ing.

Just don't let the system overstay its welcome. A short campaign and then move on to another system before you burn out on DW.
>>
>>49861172
>It's also an excellent beginner's system for both players and GM's
I'd disagree on the GM side, in my experience GMing PbtA games is more difficult. Learning how best to improvise responses to player actions and how to use the GM moves to their maximum effect takes more getting used to than GMing most games (although this could be because I learned with other games first)
>>
>>49845834

Source on the image? I need it for research purposes...
>>
>>49845411
The burden of proof lies with the one making the statement, not the one disproving it.
>>
>>49861090
You can't minmax in DW, because everyone succeeds all the time.
>>
>>49861229

Yes, but that's also the only way to GM. Until you learn how to respond to player actions is an essential part of GM:ing, and until you learn it, you're basically trying to walk with one leg.

DW puts this process in plain text and gives you some helpful mechanical tools to lead you in the right way. It basically teaches you the basics of everything you need to know to be a good GM.

Of course, once you get more comfortable as a GM, said tools start feeling like straight jackets and you move on to something else.
>>
>>49861659
alright so character's modifier's are -1 to +2
at -1 you have a 58% chance of failure
at 0 you have a 42% chance
at +1, 28%
at +2, 17%

this is also ignoring the fact that a 7-9 still has negatives
>>
File: What the actual fuck.jpg (238KB, 1349x386px) Image search: [Google]
What the actual fuck.jpg
238KB, 1349x386px
>>49858632
There's a well known link between it, and brain dead retardation like thinking this is even remotely acceptable.
>>
>>49860876
or you compromise with your friends.
>>
>>49862249

Yeah, but the guy asking upthread implied that that wasn't gonna work.
>>
>>49861824

> one dev doesn't want to change what is essentially a time capsule

> all 3.5 players are now retarded because of this

You have to try harder.
>>
>>49845411

OD&D Exists.

QED.
>>
Fantasy Craft > Dungeon HURLED
HURLED AS IN PUKED
AT HOW BAD DUNGEON WORLD IS
>>
>>49861291
Looks like Konosuba, could be wrong thing.
>>
>>49862982
And zoom goes the point, well over your head.
>>
>>49863795

>Likes super crunchy pathfinder style game
>Hates narrative hipster indie game

Oh man, there goes /tg/ with another surprising opinion! Will wonders never cease?

I don't get the point of these threads, really. Just play what you like and forget the rest. Life's too short to waste your time arguing about stuff you don't like.
>>
>>49864942
This post is frustratingly pointless. We're here to talk about traditional games. The purpose of this board is to talk about traditional games. Here you come, wondering aloud why we're talking about traditional games. Fuck off.
>>
>>49864995

If you consider "I like my favorite game! The games I don't like are SHIIIIIIIIT!" to constitute a worthwhile discussion, then have at it, I guess. It looks suspiciously like a thread full of stupid shitposting where nobody listens to anybody else, to me. IE a total waste of my time, yours, and everybody else's.
But hey, I'm not here to tell you how to have fun.
>>
It's good for a couple sessions, long term campaigns would get boring.
>>
>>49847488
>implying min/maxers can DM.
>>
File: oh ho~.jpg (20KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
oh ho~.jpg
20KB, 400x300px
>Storygames

Just freeform rp.
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.