[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 404
Thread images: 34

File: Volos_Header_0.jpg?itok=1169MQED.jpg (520KB, 1920x600px) Image search: [Google]
Volos_Header_0.jpg?itok=1169MQED.jpg
520KB, 1920x600px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

> Encounter Building - Unearthed Arcana | October 2016
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Encounter_Building.pdf

Last Session: >>49832274

How goes your Halloween preparations for this month of October, DMs? Sending your players to a spooky swamp or throwing them with Death House?
>>
>>49839512 (You)
>>49839503
>Make Demons more like elementals, but based on emotions. Kinda like how a fire elemental is a swirling semi-humanoid vortex of fire, a demon could be a swirling vortex of pure hate, or fear, or lust. Appearance and abilities follow, of course; a hate demon could be made of blood-red fire and smoke and inspire murderous rage in people, while a lust demon would be more of a purple or pink mist that charmed those nearby, lulled them to sleep, then stole their dreams or something.

These sound like cool ideas, could I do it easily with the stats for Demons in the MM?
>>
>>49839583
You'd be better served by starting with elementals, I think. My interpretation of a Hate Demon might look something like this:

Hate Demon
Large Fiend, Chaotic Evil
Armor Class 13
Hit points 102 (12d10+36)
Speed 50'
Str 10, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 10
Damage resistance: nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing weapons
Damage immunities: poison
Condition immunities: exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses: darkvision 60', passive perception 10
Languages: None (or Abyssal, if you think they should be smart enough to speak)
Challenge: 5 (guessing here, based it off a fire elemental)

Amorphous: A hate demon can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
Aura of Rage: Any creature that strikes a hate demon with a melee attack while within 5' of it is subject to it's touch of rage ability.

Multiattack: The hate demon makes 2 touch of rage attacks.
Touch of Rage: Melee weapon attack: +6 to hit, reach 5', one target. Hit 7 (2d4+3) psychic damage, and the victim must make a DC 13 Charisma saving throw. On a failure, the target is filled with murderous rage; treat this as a Confusion spell that has rolled a 7 on the result. If the hate demon has affected two separate creatures with multiattack, they strike at each other; otherwise, determine the target randomly. If a creature succeeds on this Charisma saving throw, they are immune to touch of rage for 24 hours.
>>
>>49839599
And already I fucked up. Aura of Rage should read: Any creature that strikes a hate demon with a melee attack while within 5' of it must make a Charisma save as if it had been affected by touch of rage. They don't take damage, they just go bugnuts crazy.
>>
>>49839612
Aaaand the duration of touch of rage should be a single round. Fuck it, I'm too tired to think, going to bed.
>>
I feel the crafting system RAW takes too long for my campaign's pace esp the way my players are doing day to day basis of their adventures. That said, they wanna craft some shit and seeing the rules, it's gonna take hundreds of days to get anything they want like platemail. I wanna decrease those days but I totally get why the game doesn't want you to craft something that valuable and have it quick.

Any ideas how to make a balanced way of crafting good shit but at the same time making you work for it that doesn't have my players wait 300 days to make one?
>>
File: Gram Low Initiative.png (1MB, 1200x819px) Image search: [Google]
Gram Low Initiative.png
1MB, 1200x819px
>>49839544
>How goes your Halloween preparations for this month of October, DMs? Sending your players to a spooky swamp or throwing them with Death House?

Terribly. I originally planned to do a one shot a few months ago that wasn't Halloween related to see if I can cut being a DM for our online group. But with the current group schedule being full of other campaigns and me getting distracted reading through the DMG, I ain't got shit planned any time soon.

Only thing I bring to the group is sharing shit I got on roll20 with the other DMs. I also let my friend use my roll20 account to build maps for his campaign but I've been dragging ass on building my own.
>>
>>49839635
RAW they can hire laborers to distribute the workload, but this ends up being costly. However, if they've built up influence in the area (particularly with a guild or other large group), they might be able to leverage that for a discount on labor, or even get some people to work pro bono. In any case, it should still end up being less expensive than buying the gear outright, but should probably take at least a week or two for something as complex as plate.
>>
>>49839635
What do you want to craft? Mundane or magic shit?
>>
>>49839635
Just do what feels right. Do they have access to a forge, the materials required to make it, and the know how to do so?
>>
>>49839635
they could find pieces of the armor and craft the rest, like having a breastplate could cut the time to make platemail by half, or just having a helmet and some gauntlets, crafting arrows would be really quick if you already have arrowheads
>>
>>49839544
I'm running this for 'em. I also sketched up a map I'll attach for the final revision, but it's nothing all that fancy.
>>
Ok, so I freely admit I'm being retarded, but I can't see it, so pls help

If I have proficiency with a skill or saving throw, what benefit does that provide? I assume it's a bonus on rolls but I can't see the rule in the book.
>>
>>49839433
This is how I do it

Devils are always Lawful Evil, Demons are always Chaotic Evil. Devils are a force of mostly pure Evil, while Demons are a force of pure Chaos / Evil

There are more Demons than Devils, and Demons are constantly actively attempting to destroy everything that was ever created.

Devils mostly just care about becoming stronger and stronger Devils, needing souls and such to advance. However they hold a innate hatred for Demons and have been at war with them for all millenia.

Neither Devils or Demons can fully manifest in the Prime Material Plane. They must be willingly invoked by some sentient life form native to the plane to go there.

Demons are constantly attempting to get into the PMP to destroy and make chaos and etc. Devils actually find the PMP quite distasteful and prefer to only go there on business.
>>
>>49839813
You add your Proficiency Bonus to it.
>>
>>49839813
PROFICIENCY BONUS NIGGA

YOUR PROFICIENCY BONUS IS THE BONUS TO THINGS WITH WHICH YOU ARE PROFICIENT. YOUR PROFICIENCY BONUS ADVANCES BY CHARACTER LEVEL AND IS DETAILED IN YOUR CLASS LEVEL BLOCK, EVERY CLASS HAS THE SAME PROFICIENCY PROGRESSION STARTING AT 2 AND CAPPING AT 6
>>
>>49839870
>>49839871
Huh.

So why have separate sections for skills if they all use the same flat bonus?
>>
>>49839878
>So why have separate sections for skills if they all use the same flat bonus?

Nigga what?
>>
>>49839878
I'm not sure what you mean?

Each skill has a corresponding stat you derive its base bonus from, and then that is further modified by your Proficiency if you're proficient in it They're not all the same.
>>
>>49839886
>>49839888
Huh. Fair enough

Last question and I promise I'll leave your thread alone - spell component pouch and arcane focus mechanically do the same thing right? So it doesn't matter which one you have?
>>
>>49839915
pretty much, so you should use a focus
>>
>>49839915
Yup. Same thing. Your DM, if they're particularly weird, may force you to resupply on materials if you go with the pouch, but it also lets you casually drop how you're throwing around fresh bat guano whenever you cast Fireball.
>>
>>49839935
>Anon why are you holding a bat in combat
>I'm not carrying that shit around, from now on I'm just magically taking it from the things lower intestine
>>
File: 1323270096100.jpg (191KB, 1096x729px) Image search: [Google]
1323270096100.jpg
191KB, 1096x729px
>>49839961
>>
How effective is the polearm master/sentinel combo on a vengeance pally? Also it doesn't really make sense that my ally needs to be 5ft from me in order to use my reaction if I'm using a glaive.
>>
So when do I adjudicate "Lifestyle Expenses"? Me and my group (we are all new) just finished Lost Mines and I've been reading the PHB and DMG and my players keep asking about Lifestyle Expenses and when they'll have to pay these or how it affects their adventure/campaign?

I've read it RAW and it looks simple to maintain but I'm still quite unsure about it. I can't quite put a finger on what's making me feel uncertain about Lifestyle Expenses. I guess I'm trying to say is that I'm trying to see the point of maintaining a certain lifestyle when there's a chance their actual actions in the session won't reflect that. Like my player will pay for Wealthy expenses but he's just gonna stick to the Stonehill Inn in Phandalin as they make their merry way.

Am I being dense? (I'm pretty sure I am) But I'm just trying to find sense in integrating it to the adventure and seeing why we have to bother with the ruling.
>>
>>49840075
Have them pay a week or a month ahead of time. Paying that amount nets them rations, clothes, inn stays, etc. as appropriate to the chosen lifestyle.

Don't worry about the individual days, consider it an average of their upkeep spending. Some days they spend more, some days they might spend none at all.
>>
>>49840060
Pretty effective until your dm starts throwing big monsters with reach at you. Or if you're the party tank and have more than one enemy. It's a great combo but not as cheesey as people make out.

The entire gimmick is that sentinel stops them short of the 5ft range to attack you.
>>
Adding a bunch of third party stuff under Necromancer Games, courtesy of a kind anon.
>>
Gith was mentioned in a podcast for Volos guide to monsters hope it gives you the rules to make one as player character make
>>
What does Dexbarian miss out on compared with strengthbarian?
>>
>>49840282
Damage.
>>
File: 1459572593437.jpg (27KB, 280x274px) Image search: [Google]
1459572593437.jpg
27KB, 280x274px
How creative in combat can i get as a cleric?
Got any stories related to players getting creative on their foes? Possibly failing?
>>
>>49839920
>pretty much, so you should use a focus

No way.

Go ahead and read every (non-costly) spell component for every spell. Your component pouch has ALL of them.
>>
Some time ago I saw a pdf here, that had a lot of horror themed races, including dhampir and such. It looked official, but may have been extensive homebrew. Anyway I'm looking for it but I can't find it on the mega anymore, does anyone have it or know where to find it?
>>
Can a Warlock switch Patrons mid game?

I'm a Warlock with an Arch-Fey Patron, Pact of the Tome.

My Arch Fey Patron is the Green Fairy and I had the habit to drink some absinthe in order to "level up" and to commune with my Patron. The problem is that I'm been "cursed" with the immunity to poisons, including alcohol.

Any ideas?
>>
>>49840362
raw no, talk with your dm.
>>
File: IMG_0199.jpg (176KB, 952x1450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0199.jpg
176KB, 952x1450px
Are drow ever worth using?
>>
Really dumb question, but I have a starter box and was interested in getting into the game, but one hesitance I am having is the part of acting our your character(dialogue etc).
I love the idea of rolling dice and battling monsters and all that, but i just feel cringy acting to my friends. Does this game have a ton of that or is it more quick decisions and numbers?

tl;dr Don't like acting, is this game for me?
>>
>>49840491
Depends on your group, mostly. In my group we only sort of act out speech challenges and certain investigative conversations. But if your group and DM just want to do combat mostly, that's okay too. You might even want to look at the previous edition 4e, it had a bigger focus on tactical combat.
>>
>>49840491
Up to your DM and what is happening. You could have a campaign where you rarely ever talk and just go adventuring. It's fine and the game has ways you can "avoid" acting.

for example, instead of actually saying an inspiring speech or trying to persuade someone in character. You could say “I try and persuade him by telling him we could save his family” and then asking the DM if you can do a persuasion roll.
So you can just say what your character does instead of acting it out. As long as the group (and DM) is fine with this, you’re a-okay.
>>
So pumped for the next Mystic release I hope we get the two missing orders this time.
>>
>>49840467
Depends in what context. I would say yes, as they can be fun to use.
>>
>>49840491
acting=/=roleplaying don't worry. you can act out your roleplay or not it's fine either way. as long as peoples' decisions matter it's fine
>>
File: Nathe.jpg (22KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Nathe.jpg
22KB, 500x282px
Since I'm here, I may as well ask.
I've been thinking about playing bard, and what would you guys consider the most brutal instrument in DnD?
>>
>>49840549
What's a good way to use them? I know at least some of the players are fans.
>>
File: Bx0p_IIIMAAARhT.png (608KB, 600x463px) Image search: [Google]
Bx0p_IIIMAAARhT.png
608KB, 600x463px
>>49840578
Bagpipes.
>>
>>49840349
>Go ahead and read every (non-costly) spell component for every spell. Your component pouch has ALL of them.

Ok, and if you have a focus you don't need any non-costly material components.

That was what that anon was asking and that was what I was answering. Are you drunk anon?
>>
Is there a treasure trove for 4e ?
>>
File: Battle_Axe.jpg (46KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Battle_Axe.jpg
46KB, 800x600px
>>49840578
the axe
>>
File: 8006.jpg (62KB, 388x314px) Image search: [Google]
8006.jpg
62KB, 388x314px
I'm still building my cowardly wizard and I'm not sure if I should take Fog Cloud or not. It seems to do absolutely nothing in combat since both the attacking and defending party have advantage and disadvantage if either is in the cloud's reach. It only seems useful for trying to escape (which is why I'm still thinking of taking it).
>>
>>49840625
Ask yourself this: What would you replace it with?
>>
>>49840362
Uhh no, that makes no sense.

Could a paladin change his oath? could a cleric decide to worship a different, unrelated god (actually maybe)?
>>
>>49840631
Probably Tasha's Hideous Laughter (also to use when escaping), Disguise Self or Silent Image (both to hide from monsters).
>>
>>49840060
that's errata'd to be weapon reach not 5 ft
>>
>>49840661
Out of all of thoes I would say Tasha's Hideous Laughter is the best. Fog could is still good, but like you said, it has no combat use.
>>
>>49840255
I'm thinking Minotaur might be in there too, as there's already a UA on that. Do we know anything on how many monster races will be included?
>>
>>49840282
Rage
>When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian.
that bonus is +2 at lvl 1

Reckless attack
> Advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength
you also concede advantage against yourself.
>>
>>49840702
Thanks. This is what I got now. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Cantrips:
Fire Bolt
Prestidigitation
Ray of Frost

Spells:
Catapult
Mage Armor
Shield
Sleep
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Thunderwave
>>
>>49840772
>fire bolt

Out of interest why this over the other attack cantrips?
>>
>>49840362
I strongly suggest you look for a Cleric to remove the curse before spitting in your Arch-fey patron's eye like that
>>
>>49840537
>>49840527
>>49840560
Great! that's exactly what I wanted to hear
>>
>>49840785
I think it's because it gets good damage and you can light shit on fire with it
>>
What do you do when you're growing bored of your character at level 3, want to play another, but don't want to lose that character's story arc and repertoire with the party?
>>
4e was pretty fun.
>>
Starting as a lvl1 diviner wizard, r8 my spells:
Fire Bolt
Light
Minor Illusion
Mage Armor
Shield
Fog Cloud
Grease
Find Familiar
Detect Magic

Also at level 2 i plan on taking Magic Missile and Tasha's Hideous Laughter
>>
>>49840785
>>49840845
Mostly this. Ray of Frost is for slowing pursuers down while dealing damage and Fire Bolt just seemed to deal good damage with a bit of utility. Should I take something else?
>>
>>49840892
Minor Illusion is really good, but two attack cantrips can be good too if you don't think utility will do much. Also, Fog Cloud is definitely usable in combat and while great for running away it also works as a cheap AoE banishment; take a group of enemies out of the fight, only to deal with them later. Great in the old scenario of having annoying archers shooting at you from behind something.
>>
>>49840772
>Catapult

que?
>>
>>49840060
>not using tunnel fighting fighting style at level two
my man you have to commit here.
>>
File: Catapult.png (38KB, 426x415px) Image search: [Google]
Catapult.png
38KB, 426x415px
>>49840959
From the Elemental Evil players companion.
>>
>>49841035
Homebrew?
>>
>>49841046
No Elemental Evil is wizard's material
>>
>>49840979
Most DMS won't allow tunnel fighter.
>>
I was talking to my DM about gods, and he said that any god from any setting ia okay, as long as it's DnD. Is there any gods associated with virginity/purity? I would choose Artemis if it weren't for all the archery/nature stuff.
>>
>>49841235
CEVELIS: Lady of Denial, The Chaste One, Watcher of Morailty (LN)
>>
in pathfinder i was an erastil cleric with animal and good domains.

what's a good choice for conversion? both nature and life domain sounds poopy but maybe you know better than me.

also does archer cleric makes sense?

i fucking hate my DM.
>>
>>49841369
Maybe just convert to a druid? They are essentially nature clerics anyway.
>>
>>49841392
that would piss my DM off to no end and and my background has been written for a cleric.

i would love to understand what's better between life and nature domains.
>>
Reminder that social skill rules are entirely unneeded if your group isn't literally autistic
>>
>>49841414
Life is best healer. Nature is druid w/o shapechange and clericy spin
>>
>>49841414
Nature's ability to give resistance to most damage types as a reaction is pretty sweet, and your party will appreciate it, they also get some stuff for being friends to the animals as well as turning undead so you've got a chance of completely negating TWO types of random encounter per short rest.
Life gives huge boost to heal spells, meaning you don't have to spend so many slots on them, and you auto-prepare all the cleric spells you were probably going to take anyway, like bless.
They're both heavy armour options, though you can always go dex and light/med armour with either if you rather. Ranged cleric with healing word works OK.
They're both good options.
>>
>>49841223
is it actually considered op? sincere question
>>
>>49841488
It is strong. And then Sentinel+Polearm master makes it OP.
>>
I've decided that if Curse of Strahd does away with a lot of Ravenloft setting elements in favour of simplification, I'll do away with his complete immortality too. If my party manages to kill and stake him, that's all for him, Barovia is saved.
Also, when the vampire dies, Dark Powers subtly tell the party to GTFO by opening a portal for them that leads them home. Except it doesn't, it actually leads to Athas.
>>
>>49841531
Sounds cruel, you should at least give them a week in Barbados on the beach, first - they've earned it!
>>
>>49841035
Could I use a crowbar as the object? It seems useful enough to bring on its own.

And would the damage destroy the crowbar?
>>
>>49841546
By the time they beat Strahd, a party should be around level 8 or 10. I think they'll be fine. Not great, but fine.
>>
>>49841299
Thanks my man.
>>
So my party and I are going to be facing a dragon soon enough, and the DM has heavily hinted that we need to take it seriously.

What are some ideas for how to keep a dragon grounded? I know a number of these answers will rely on DM discretion but I can at least tart with a spell list.

The roster right now is Devotion Paladin, Bladelock, Life Cleric, Rogue/Wizard, Dragon Sorcerer. The mode level is 19 and we don't have access to the wish spell.
>>
>>49841626
>What are some ideas for how to keep a dragon grounded?
Fight it indoors?
>>
>>49841626
Earthbind from EE does exactly that, but it's a strength saving throw which makes it tricky to pop on a dragon. It's only a level 2 spell though, so you've probably got loads of room for slots to keep trying
>>
>level 1
>7HP

How the hell does anyone ever make it to level 2?
>>
>>49841683
Don't get hit.
>>
>>49841683
luck or ingenuity
>>
>>49841648
This particular dragon is actually an especially powerful dragon, and knowing this DM it's probably small town sized in total. I'll keep that in mind but this is a pretty big dragon.

>>49841654
Perfect that looks like it could work. It may take a few attempts thanks to legendary resistance but we could pin it then.

Any other ideas?
>>
>>49841722
As it takes off open a Gate above it.

As it passes through close the Gate behind it
>>
>>49841733
I like the outside the box thinking but I believe we will be using gate to pull him in the first place, cause we ain't fighting him in his lair.
>>
>>49841683
To be honest It's almost entirely up to the GM, he ain't going to target your Wizard if he knows your going to get murdered in one hit.
>>
>>49841722
>knowing this DM it's probably small town sized in total. I'll keep that in mind but this is a pretty big dragon.
Spider climb. Fight *on* the dragon.
>>
>>49841816
Fight IN the dragon

Or coat yourselfin gold and gems so it can't bare to harm you
>>
>>49841722
>it's probably small town sized in total

So, go Shadow of Collosus on him
>>
>>49841486
>>49841438
thanks.
>>
>>49841654
Everyone rolls 1 eventually!
>>
>>49841035
>>49840772
Why so many people like this spell?
>>
>>49840959
It's ¿Qué? btw
>>
>>49841863
kay!
>>
>>49841816
>>49841829
>>49841840
Now that is a crazy enough to work idea. I'll keep that in mind we may be able to get a group spider climb scroll or something.

And it's a black dragon so less hoard all the treasure more evil but I like the ideas.
>>
>>49841852
High damage output at low levels, always hits, killing monsters with body parts of other monsters, launching vials of Alchemist's Fire... there is probably more but this are my reasons.
>>
>>49841899
>black dragon

Immunity to acid then give it the ol' E. Coli Surprise - one in the mouth, one the other way and meet in the middle slashing as you go
>>
>>49841899
Compelled Duel is another good way to force a non-airborn fight, and eating up legendary resists is fine too.
>>
>>49841488
It's considered broken, because it's the biggest action economy violation in an edition where that is taken very seriously. I think it's fine, but only for higher level characters, played by players who can be trusted to resolve actions fast. I let one of my players have it as a reward after level 10.
>>
File: Iliira Color.png (1MB, 726x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Iliira Color.png
1MB, 726x1024px
>>49840587
Well, from a mechanical perspective, they have +2 Dexterity and +1 Charisma, so that makes them good at being Bards, dex Fighters, Monks, dex Rangers, Rogues, Sorcerers, and Warlocks.

Of all of those the thing they're probably best at being is Rogue, due to their innate spells. Dancing Lights is not useful as a direct distraction in combat, but it can be useful to throw people off of you when hiding - say, projecting it down a tunnel to look like torchlight, or forming it together into a humanoid shape (it can totally do that, check the spell) and making it do whatever you need.

Darkness provides you with instant cover that the vast majority of things can't see through; you can make Hide checks really easily then. Remember that you can't see through the Darkness either, though.

Finally, Faerie Fire, if it works (they get a Dex save vs. 8 + prof. + your Charisma), gives you instant Advantage and, thereby, Sneak Attack, on whatever it hits.

The downside to Concentration rules is that the original functionality of the Darkness + Faerie Fire combo doesn't work anymore: the reason drow had both was that they'd light things on faerie fire and then cloak them in Darkness. Faerie Fire can be seen in magical darkness, so the drow would see their enemies but the enemies couldn't see them.

Get someone else in the party to also play a drow, though, and you've got yourself a nice combo there.
>>
>>49842017
*Oh, drow also make good dex Paladins. Since Paladins can be of any alignment now, just choose Oath of Vengeance or Oath of the Crown ("crown" in this case being a matron mother) for one that "fits" the typical drow mindset.

However I maintain that their best class is Rogue.
>>
>>49841921
>3d8
>high damage

>Reflex save
>Always hits
>>
>>49842048
>in either case both the creature and the object take 3d8
>read nigga read
>>
So

I am kinda stuck on what to throw at my party for my 5e homebrew game.

They are level 10 now and can kill dragons oddly quickly and they toughest enemy they killed so far was only able to take down the bard.

I want to make something to where they think "Oh shit, we are going to die."
>>
>>49842048
At level one 3d8 is pretty good.

The save is only to determine if the object stops or not.
>>
>>49842067
Two dragons.
>>
>Green-Flame Blade
>Lightning Lure
>Sword Burst

Sword Coast is best coast
>>
If I have GWF on a paladin and my smite dice roll a 1 or 2, can I reroll them, or is it only for the damage from my weapon?
>>
anyone got that comic posted a couple threads ago of players skipping a dungeon a gm put heaps of effort into?
>>
>>49842048
It's a line AoE, anon, as long as nobody saves the Dex save.
>>
TG, as a bard, which spell is best for level 10 magic secrets?

I'm torn between bigby's hand and telekinesis. Both are Charisma Skill Checks, so one of them simply has to come (Lore Bard = Jack of All Trades + Peerless Skill + Luckstone) but while they do similar things, TK has the range and better load capacity, and ten times the duration, Bigsby's creates cover and deals damage

Which one should I go for?
>>
>>49842154
It actually stops as soon as it hits someone/something
>>
>>49842180
On a succesful save the object strikes the creature and stops moving.
So if nothing makes the save its a 90ft like AoE spell. Or its a single target spell if one makes the save
>>
>>49842154
The object stops moving if it strikes a solid surface, regardless of whether or not the thing makes its reflex save.
>>
>>49842194
On a failed save. My bad
So things want to fail the dex save, wierd
>>
Can you buy scrolls in 5e? I want a familiar, but don't want it taking up space in my spellbook.
>>
>>49842097
Jeremy NoFun Crawford says is only on weapon so grab other style because GWF is now shit.
>>
>>49842194
From >>49841035

>"[...] straight line up to 90 feet in a direction you choose before falling to the ground, stopping early if it impacts against a solid surface."
>"On a failed save, the object strikes the target and stops moving."
>>
>>49842194
If it fails the Dex save it's hit by the Catapulted object

If it makes the save, the object hots the ground and leaves a 3d6 crater
>>
>>49842218
>>49842198
Bodies aren't usually solid surfaces.
>>
>>49842081
I already did that.
>>
>>49842210
>but don't want it taking up space in my spellbook.

Anon, a spellbook costs like 25 or 50 or some pittance gp. Gold is the least valuable resource a player has. Just buy a second spellbook.

To answer your question, by default scrolls are not typically for sale. Even if you find someone willing to sell spell scrolls, they might not have the scroll you want.
>>
>>49842213
I thought he made the exact opposite ruling.
>>
>>49842227
If it fails the Dex save it gets 3d8 damage and the object continues
If it saves the Dex it gets 3d8 damage and the object stops
>>
>>49842240
So if he fails the save my statue of pelor punches straight through my target and keeps shooting onward?
>>
>>49842210
Scrolls are still pretty common, yes.
>>
>>49842233
THREE dragons.

Or maybe a purple worm, mummy lord, spellcasting vampire, death tyrant (in lair), or vampire warrior.
>>
>>49842228
Doesn't matter, the second part says it stops moving anyway.

>>49842240
That is not what the spell says.

>"On a failed save, the object strikes the target and stops moving."
>>
>>49842239
He made the opposite ruling last year some time on Twitter when someone asked him about it, however Twitter answers aren't the be all end all. He addressed the question again in the official Sage Advice article and went with the now canon ruling of it only applies to the weapon dice.
>>
>>49842266
This, it's a shitty spell, 3d8 and that's it, the "always hits" bullshit is onlyl if you can't fucking read.
>>
>>49842239
He realized that was an improvemnt for martials so it had to be changed, and that's why it nerfed it, Jeremy loves caster cum too much.
>>
It's a catapult, not line of effect like a bullet.

You shoot something into the air and it causes magically-enhanced damage by landing.

Option one - it hits a solid surface like a wall or a balcony before reaching the ground. In which case the object and solid surface take 3d8 damage.

Option two - it falls unobstructed by scenery and would land. on a creature.

2a - Creature makes the Dex save, dodges out the way and it hits the floor -> go to option 1 for damage to solid surface

2b - Dex save is failed, creature is hit, creature and object each take 3d8 damage. Object has expended the magic of the spell and does not continue to back things up for more enhanced-damage.

Correct?
>>
>>49842314
>3d8 on an object
That's literally nothing, doesn't even scratch it.
>3d8 on a creature
Some damage, but 13.5 damage is not much.

Damage spells on objects are usually shit, only stuff like desintengration do something.
>>
File: 1466194921053.jpg (50KB, 400x561px) Image search: [Google]
1466194921053.jpg
50KB, 400x561px
>>49842017
>>49842037
>that makes them good at being Bards, dex Fighters, Monks, dex Rangers, Rogues, Sorcerers, and Warlocks.
>*Oh, drow also make good dex Paladins

It's quite silly that drow are now rolled for cha classes because of their stats, when traditionally I don't think it makes much sense. Maybe PC drow are supposed to be followers of Eilistraee, i.e. bards who dance naked in the moonlight?

I suppose drow never made any sense though.
>>
>>49842258
>Vampires
I could give them Curse of Strahd PTSD and send them to Barovia.
>>
Do the writers have a hard on for Bards and Warlocks? Why are Clerics and Wizards so limited? I get they were too powerful in the past, but this is just sad. Two spells/day?
>>
>>49842336

I don't know about the Drow, but I know for Svartalves and Winter Court fey it would make immense sense for them to do Bards and Warlocks.

Picking a drow for monk instead of a wood elf is just retarded though
>>
>>49842369
>and warlocks
Kek, warlocks are pretty meh, anon.

Clerics and Wizards are pretty stronk, but yeah, Bards became stronger comparatively to before.
>>
>>49842372

Hell, the Tiefling is basically just a devil which is basically just a post Christianity Satyr or Faun
>>
>>49842369
>Cleric and Wizard
>The classes with the most subclasses on the system
>Still above everybody else on utility and versatility
>"Why are they so limited?"
Go back to 3.PF you casterlover
>>
>>49842372
The Dresden Files? I'm not too familiar with it, so I suppose I was mostly talking about Drizzt/Forgotten Realms drow, which is kind of what the PHB seems to default to as well.
>>
>>49842442
2 spells/day

That's insane
>>
File: 1404498417852.png (70KB, 946x343px) Image search: [Google]
1404498417852.png
70KB, 946x343px
>>49842336
Traditionally drow got a bonus to both Intelligence and Charisma. With the somewhat more limited ability boosts of 5e, though, one of those had to go, and High Elves already had Intelligence, so Charisma was left. It makes sense to me, though: every drow ever written has an extremely strong sense of self and force of personality.

>I suppose drow never made any sense though.

Well...yeah, they're fucking insane. In addition to everything in pic, remember that drow worship spiders, love spiders, adore spiders, killing spiders is a crime punishable by DEATH...

...but if you fail Lolth, she turns you into a drider, i.e., the spitting image of *herself*. But driders are hated and shunned by drow at Lolth's command.

Lolth is insane. Drow are insane. They always have been.

>>49842372
>Picking a drow for monk instead of a wood elf is just retarded though

I just meant that, with +2 Dex, drow aren't a bad choice for monk, even if they're not the optimal choice.

Also maybe I don't want to play a wood elf.
>>
>>49842446
The idea of the Summer/Winter Court of Fey is actually from British mythology. Svart alfar would be the dark elves of Scandinavian mythos.
>>
>>49842458
>2 spells/day
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>49842478
2 spell slots/day. That's all my starting wizard gets. Then fucking what, gonna lay the smackdown with my dagger and strength penalty?
>>
>>49842458
>Complains casters have few spells ON THE FUCKING TUTORIAL LEVELS
Are you retarded? you're meant to play from 3rd level unless you are a fucking noob.

Also cantrips are at will, so no, you don't have 2 spells/level even at 1st level.
>>
>>49842491
Cantrips
>>
>>49842491
1) You have cantrips, usable at-will.
2) You're level 1. You're not supposed to be badass.

In 2nd Edition a mage got ONE spell a day and didn't have ANY cantrips.

ONE SPELL.
PER DAY.
TOTAL.
FOR 2000 EXPERIENCE WORTH OF ADVENTURES.

Kids these days with their cantrips and their quick levelling and their positive armor classes being a good thing...mumble...grumble...
>>
>>49842461
>Also maybe I don't want to play a wood elf.

Yeah, but if you're going down the elf monk line, and being dark is that important to you, then jesus, just pretend you're playing an Ebony Elf, or a tanned legolas from the cactus grove.

>>49842446

Well, I was thinking of the winter court in general (I think it's irish or general caeltic mythos) but truth is, since the 5e renaissance there's only ever just one or two guys at the group that ever heard of D'Rzzrt

Now you have to go with "Witcher" or World of Warcraft" or "Thor" or "Dresden Files" and so on.

Doesn't make them less of giants nerds, and you do have to beat them into role players and all the bad habits out of them, but I genuinely like having all these other influences coming in, informing gameplay (As long as it's subdued, not like That Guy who always wants to play Allucard or Guts)
>>
>>49842512
WAIT I WAS WRONG.

IT'S 2500 EXPERIENCE WORTH OF ADVENTURES.

Getting forgetful in my old age...
>>
>>49842491
You have 4 cantrips that you can use ad nauseam, 4 cantrips, that's like infinite spells per day. One of them can be 1d10 fire damage and other can be 1d6 cold damage+disadvantage on the first attack, etc. Srly, stop complaining wizards and clerics are still boss.
>>
>>49842512

well, actually, a starting wizard can recover a level one spell slot after a short rest
>>
>>49842461
>High Elves already had Intelligence
That could be a decent explanation if drow were included later on, but they're both vanilla subraces. I wouldn't mind if all the elf subraces were "+2 dex and pick +1 to either int, wis or cha" though, and let the other bonuses be the deciding factor to pick one of them.

I suppose I have to agree with the force of personality point though, but mechanically it drives them to classes that don't really fit the drow flavor.

>>49842475
>>49842520
Oh, I see. I just googled and the Dresden Files was the first hit. Now that I think about it, I have ran across the Summer/Winter Court thing before, but I guess I'm not really too familiar with it. I guess I have some reading to do.

The PHB still has picture of Drizztzzzt representing all the elves, so I thought he would still be sort of well known. Maybe I'm getting too old.
>>
File: cr1.jpg (114KB, 440x480px) Image search: [Google]
cr1.jpg
114KB, 440x480px
>>49842551
KIDS THESE DAYS!
>>
>>49842314
It actually is a line of effect as in
>The object flies in a straight line up to 90 feet in a direction you choose before falling to the ground, stopping early if it impacts against a solid surface.

The only advantage that brings is that you can increase your chances of hitting someone with it by lining up your shot, in a way that if the first one dodges, the second one may get hit.

Seriously, does nobody understand how this spell works? It's not complicated in any way.
>>
>>49842576
It's a catapult not a railgun
>>
>>49842576
The object stops if it hits a target being a creature or a solid surface, fucking read the spell retard.
>>
>>49842580
Its a spell, and it clearly states that it flies
> in a straight line
If it would fly like a catapult stone it would state
> The object flies in an arc up to 90 feet in a direction
>>
>>49842569
> but mechanically it drives them to classes that don't really fit the drow flavor.

RE: Drow are insane as a culture run by an insane goddess. Actually, legitimately insane, not in a "ha ha, that's crazy, man" kind of way, but in a "this lady has some serious psychological problems she needs help to deal with" kind of way.

They're elves living underground, far from the forest, doing evil and debased things to each other instead of being champions of good, etc. Everything about them is *wrong*.
>>
>>49842594
Thats like... exactly what I just said
> if the first DODGES, the second one may get hit.

Thats dodging, as in MAKING YOUR DEX SAVE, as in NOT GETTING HIT BY IT.

I just said that you can hit one person at most with it, but you can increase your chances by lining up your shot.

Read the post before you complain, retard!
>>
Vancian magic is retarded, and it's influence on 5es design is something I hate.
>>
>>49842576
But keep reading.

>On a failed save, the object strikes the target and stops moving.

The object stops moving once it hits something, regardless of what it hits, unless you mean to suggest that, by implication,

>On a successful save, the object does not strike the target and keeps moving.

Which I suppose is somewhat reasonable, kind of, if you squint and twist a bit.
>>
File: 1425529038111.gif (2MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1425529038111.gif
2MB, 600x338px
>>49842648
That's nice. I don't care.
>>
>>49842649
The wording of the spell pretty obviously states that the objects only stops early if it hits a solid surface or a creature.
Both the "object hit/ creature hit" and the "object shot" take 3d8 damage this case.

Since you do not take damage if you make the Dex save, you clearly do not stop the object. Unless you use some other spell or ability to stop the object without taking damage.
>>
>>49842648
What are the alternatives?

Every other system quickly becomes unlimited casting incredibly quickly.
>>
>>49842667
I know, I just had to get that off my chest. 5e is basically stationary cantrips and sword hitting: the edition, and I blame the designers for limiting all the fun things characters can do so much.

The idea that a seasoned combat veteran and tactical master can only attempt to physically trip people 4 times before needing to rest an hour, but can attack all day every day 24/7 doesn't make sense. The only thing about it that does make sense about it is the retards designing martials this edition thinking back to the roots of vancian magic and deciding fighters needed to behave like sword wizards with even less spell slots for sword magic.

Other than the shitty martial design, and the huge focus on daily class features, I like this edition.
>>
>>49842622
Right. Still, from what I gather, I don't think Lolth would be too happy with drow warlocks or draconic sorcerers since it's not in line with her "one pure race, all serving me" policy. And paladin oaths sound impossible when everyone is constantly trying to betray each other. And bards... well fuck bards. What are they going to do, torture slaves to enjoy the sweet music of their screams?
>>
>>49842722
Limiting in some way how often spells can be cast is fine. The problem is when that becomes your entire design philosophy, to the point that every class has huge limitations on how often it can do things.

My ideal system would be an exhaustion type system, where as you do things you get progressively more tired, but only at the extremes do you start having less options.
>>
>>49842752
>The idea that a seasoned combat veteran and tactical master can only attempt to physically trip people 4 times before needing to rest an hour, but can attack all day every day 24/7 doesn't make sense.
He can only do that with his dice bonus 4 times, but you can trip /shove to ground any number of times without resting.
It's only an opposed ability check, just like lots of potential maneuvers.
>>
>>49842866
It still makes no sense, and the trip attack maneuver has its a saving throw, which makes it harder to resist.
>>
Just out of curiosity, how many people are actually excited for next month's UA?

For those who are, what do you want to see in it specifically?
>>
> New campaign!
> 3 human 2 half-elf
>>
>>49843149
Rape rules
>>
>>49843193

fwiw, next month's UA is about the mystic, so you're kinda shit out of luck there.
>>
>>49843149
I'm excite I hope up to level 20 and the two missing orders.
>>
>>49843220
>mystic
Well, that would be my second option
>>
>>49843258
2 missing order? there will be 4?
>>
>>49843162
I don't see the problem.
>>
>>49843162
>allowing variant human
You did this to yourself. No way you'd have that many humans if they were normal ones.
>>
File: 580b25cbb43b8bed1d99b688f42684da.jpg (792KB, 2554x3500px) Image search: [Google]
580b25cbb43b8bed1d99b688f42684da.jpg
792KB, 2554x3500px
How can I be an evil necromancer, when all of the necromancer spells suck and I can't raise undead until level 6?
>>
>>49843575
Be the DM and make your necromancer as a an NPC. Done.
>>
>>49843479
>ugh, this racial composition is too bland and boring
>>
>>49843575
Gotta start somewhere, Anon. Even Acererak, Vecna, Szas Tam, and Larloch were snot-nosed little shits barely able to cast a cantrip at one point.
>>
>>49840282

Any kind of usefulness
>>
>>49843305
we're still waiting on the invisible hand and the soul knife (invisible hand is telekinetics I assume)
>>
>>49843575
kill stuff and leech their life force, then laugh maniacally?
>>
>>49843479
No pure elf! That's the problem! How can we even play a game without cute elven ears.
>>
>>49840888

Nix Fog Cloud for Magic Missile at level 1. Take Fog Cloud at level 2 if you really want it, but I wouldn't recommend ever not having any damaging level 1 spells as a wizard.
>>
>>49843575
You can plan to take over the world with your trusty rat familiar every night.
>>
>>49842291

It hits the target whether they make the save or not. The save only affects if the object continues or not.

Are you too autistic to understand this?
>>
>>49842369

>Wizards
>limited

Wew lad
>>
>>49842633

IF THEY MAKE THE DEX SAVE THE OBJECT HITS THE GROUND

FUCKING READ IT JESUS CHRIST
>>
File: gao.gif (204KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
gao.gif
204KB, 500x492px
Ability scores: fuck 'em.

Say I stick everyone's at 10 (or 12, or 20, whatever) in everything and double proficiency bonuses. ASI's have to be used for feats.

What does this change about the game?
>>
>>49844024
So everyone is ok at everything and therefore equally good at everything?
>>
>>49843149
If it doesn't have good telekinesis then I won't care about about the class in the slightest
>>
>>49844024
Depend. At 10 or 12? Everyone will be a freaking Moon Druid.
>>
>>49844024
It makes it really, really boring.

It makes multiclassing impossible by rules-as-written.

It means that everyone is equally good at all skills, which might be neat I guess, but it really screws over the Rogue since his entire schtick is "more skills and better at those skills."
>>
>>49844024
Heavy armour proficiency becomes really useful.
Presumably some now-useless MAD class combo becomes the best thing in the game.
>>49844067
Why?
>>49844070
>It means that everyone is equally good at all skills, which might be neat I guess, but it really screws over the Rogue since his entire schtick is "more skills and better at those skills."
Not sure I follow, the rogue would still have more skills and double (i.e. quadruple) prof. bonuses on some of them.
>>
>>49844127
Because Moon druid can become beast with 19 STR.
>>
>>49843926
Now that's just not correct.
>>
>>49844127
Well, then it makes the Rogue broken because if he's getting x4 Proficiency then at level one he's already got a +8 bonus. By 5th level he has a +12.

As a point of comparison, my 12th level Rogue with a 20 Dexterity an Expertise in Stealth can only manage a +13.

So there goes that "bonded accuracy" idea.

However otherwise the Rogue is still somewhat screwed over because with everyone now getting Rogue-like degrees of competence, it means that all printed skill DCs are that much easier to hit. The Rogue is much better, but the gap is closed so much that being better doesn't count for as much.
>>
What is your character's relationship status?

>Hard Mode: Not single
>>
>>49844197

Apparently you can't actually read.

On a failed Dex save, the target gets hit and the object stops moving. On a successful Dex save, the target does not get hit and the object hits the ground. The spell says nothing about continuing on to other targets.

Use your fucking brain. The spell is called catapult. It launches an object into the air and down onto a target. If it misses, it wouldn't suddenly get more range.
>>
So let's say theoretically you want a barbarian path that focuses on unarmed attacks. And let's say hard mode that you want to make it feel different from the monk.

At level 3 when you strike with an unarmed attack you deal your rage damage whether you are raging or not.

At level 6 when you hit with an unarmed attack you may push the target 5 feet away. Your unarmed attacks also count as magical.

At level 10 when you critically strike a creature with an unarmed attack the creature falls prone.

At level 14 when you hit a creature with an unarmed attack, you may make another unarmed attack as a free action. These free action unarmed attacks cannot proc another free action unarmed attack.

I left room for tavern brawler and grappler cause I know people will want to take that.
>>
>>49844346
Her boyfriend has all but proposed, but he died, but as soon as we save the world he is first on the revive list.
>>
There aren't many druid player around my area... I wonder why... Is it not fun to play as one?
>>
>>49844417
Make level 14 'when you hit a creature with an unarmed attack, you can make another unarmed attack. This can occur only once per turn'
>>
>>49844388
>It launches an object into the air and down onto a target.
>>49841035
>the object flies IN A STRAIGHT LINE up to 90 feet
So you're just illiterate then
>>
>mfw the city I made has clerics and paladins creating pure water for the city and purifying the sewer water so it can be reused or thrown back into the lake that feeds the city water system that goes to every home
>fire snakes in forges are used to create hot water for the populace
Fuck yeah plumbing.
>>
>>49844478

>up to 90 feet

Jesus Christ it's like you don't understand the concept of context

You specify how far you want to launch the projectile, and it either hits the target or it doesn't. If it misses the target, it hits the ground.

You can't really be this dense, can you?
>>
>>49844466
I thought that at first but I'm not really against them making 4 unarmed attacks. 1+5+3 is only 9 damage per hit. 36 magic damage isn't much compared to fighters and other damaging classes.

I'm also thinking of doubling rage damage while raging.
>>
>>49844555
Oh, derp. I forgot that unarmed strikes do 1 damage unless you're a monk. With that in mind, granting them rage damage while unarmed and doubling that damage while unarmed and raging might not be too bad? Oddly, it'll be more consistent than the trained-and-composed monk.
>>
File: catapult for dummies.jpg (48KB, 736x572px) Image search: [Google]
catapult for dummies.jpg
48KB, 736x572px
>>49844531
One million hours later
>>
>>49844590
I know it's kind of weird, but I thoroughly expect human variant tavern brawler with this for d4 instead of 1. Plus I see everyone else doing scaling dice for unarmed so I wouldn't mind doing something else.

It just doesn't seem as fun as another class, maybe options for when the barbarian crits. Or scaling shove.
>>
>>49844609

Except that's not how it fucking works you mong

The spell says that WHETHER OR NOT THE TARGET SUCCEEDS OR FAILS THE DEX SAVE, THE OBJECT AND THE TARGET, BE IT THE CREATURE OR THE GROUND, TAKE DAMAGE.

NOTHING IN THE SPELL SAYS IT CONTINUES TO A SECOND TARGET.

You've got to be fucking baiting and I'm getting trolled really hard because I don't believe you can be this retarded
>>
>>49844511
The Gods don't like progress, that's why D&D worlds are perpetually in the same level of tech development. They see someone being too modern, scoop that shit up, dump it in Eberron and then raze your civilisation to give the next generation a load of ruins and ancient cities to poke around in.

Be careful anon.
>>
>>49839544
I'm a little bummed. Originally my DM was going to run Lost Mine of Phandelver for us (new group, semi new DM) in August/september. This would lead into Curse of Strahd for October, but then the group fell apart. Got another one going and it's going smooth but now we aren't doing Curse of Strahd going into Halloween so happy but also sad
>>
>>49844696
But plumbing isn't a modern thing, romans had that.
And it's the only way I can see a mountainhome functioning properly.
>>
>>49844609
Thank you :D I was just about to do the same thing, but to lazy do fire up paint :D
>>
How would a lich go about using the magic jar spell?
>>
>>49844729

That's not how the spell works though.
>>
I heard someone say that there was a way for warlocks to get animate dead, but I'm not seeing it anywhere.
Create undead costs money and doesn't give nice fun skeletons.
Please, let me have skeleton army warlock.
>>
>>49844744
It is. It clearly is. I mean everything in the spell description points to exactly this.
>>
File: image.png (181KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
181KB, 750x1334px
>>49844682
Jeremy Crawford disagrees. Says you need to fail it for damage.
>>
>>49844609
How does catapult behave in a zero gravity environment such as space? The spell says it falls towards the ground. Does this mean it would fall towards the closest solid surface?
>>
File: 1476791667999.png (45KB, 426x415px) Image search: [Google]
1476791667999.png
45KB, 426x415px
>>49844609
I haven't really taken any part in this discussion, but I have to say that I read it that way too. Why make the saving throw if you're going to get hit no matter what?
>>
>>49844777

No, that agrees perfectly. If the creature fails the save, it misses them and hits the ground.

I'm so sorry you can't read.
>>
>>49844763

>In either case, both the object and the creature or solid surface takes 3d8 bludgeoning damage

This is saying that when the creature makes the save, it hits the creature, and when the creature fails, it hits the ground (the "solid surface"). The spell does not say, or even imply, that the projectile continues to other targets.
>>
>>49844795
But thats just the case if the creature is at the maximum range of 90ft.
What happens when it would hit a creature at, lets say 45ft? Why would it suddenly stop then, even if said creature dodged?
>>
>>49844795
But if it misses the target then it doesn't strike a solid surface. It only stops at 90 feet or a solid surface.
>>
>>49844682
No, you fucking retard, read the fucking spell again. It's right there >>49841035

The object flies IN A STRAIGHT FUCKING LINE (cf Gust, Lightning Bolt, Sun Beam etc.), stopping early if it impacts a solid surface. (Which would be impossible to rule by your method anyway, because you could throw it in a trajectory over a wall or if using it indoors have to decide whether it hits the ceiling, which the spell says nothing about).

If the object would hit a creature, that creature makes a Dex save. If the save FAILS, i.e. if the creature DOESN'T GET OUT OF THE WAY, the object hits it, deals damage, and falls to the floor.

If the save succeeds, i.e. the creature DOES GET OUT OF THE WAY, the object KEEPS MOVING UP TO 90 FEET or until it reaches another obstruction.

Anything it does hit takes 3d8 damage and the object takes 3d8 damage regardless, from hitting either an obstruction or the floor.

This situation should be intuitively obvious if you can simply imagine an object being rapidly accelerated, 'Catapulted' if you will, in a straight line and stopping once it hits something, depositing into that something the kinetic energy its acceleration has gifted it.
>>
>>49844609
No matter how it's worded, this is the explanation that makes the most sense.
>>
>/5eg/ rediscovered the hundredth time 5e is written poorly
>>
catapult is a dog shit spell anyway why would you ever cast it
>>
File: Wizards Did It.png (284KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Wizards Did It.png
284KB, 640x480px
>>49844858
>>
>>49844871
Its decent. Given that you actually shoot other stuff than just random rocks.

Try alchemical fire, oil, or, given that those exist in your game, bombs.

But yeah, definitely not among the strongest spells.
>>
File: 1463759699220.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1463759699220.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>49844871
Because you want your wizard to have a railgun.
>>
>>49844871
Because you can make an object up to 150 feet away from you shoot up to 90 feet in any direction, while only using somatic components.

You can thus make the goblin warchief think his lieutenant has thrown a rock at him, while you hide silently in a nearby tree, for example.
>>
>>49844906
I'll shoot my character's semen, 3d8 might not be much HP damage, but the psychological damage will be much higher.
>>
>>49844954
Does that mean you can, if well positioned, ignore cover, even total cover?
>>
>>49844786
You're right. The 'either case' refers to the case where it strikes a solid object and the case where is strikes a creature. If the creature makes it's save then the object did not strike it.
>>
>>49844917
I love the fact that her ultimate ability IRL would have the force of a 7.62.
>>
>>49844969
Oh god, the look of shier horror on their faces, as their friends get killed by a wierd old man in robes, bombarding them with his semen.

> THE way to convert Catapult into an AoE spell
>>
>>49844981
I think so yes. As long as you have line of sight to the object you want to move, you could shoot it sideways or even towards you and thus negate the cover.
>>
>>49844795
Not that guy but that tweet says nothing about hitting the ground or continuing on, all it says is a passed save means the creature isn't damaged
You're projecting your opinion onto the tweet
>>
>>49839673
Have you made any other adventures or other homebrew stuff? I dig your work.
>>
>>49844969
>cast with 9th level spell slot
>11d8 (49.5 average) damage
>one shot up to ~CR3 with a handful of spunk
>>
>>49845052
>Spending a 9th level spell on a 1st level spell
Why would you blow your load in one spell, anon?
>>
>>49839599
>a demon based on an emotion, yet it only has int6/wis10/cha10 and can't even talk or understand languages

More like a dumb demon.
>>
>>49845133
Sorry anon, I have this problem of using up all my resources prematurely.
>>
>>49845134
>a being of pure, raw, seething hatred being able to think or interact with things on a level above 'HATE KILL'
That said, when I reposted it to my tumblr I gave it a Cha of 16.
>>
Should my level 3 party fight the dragon
>>
>>49845183
Go for it
>>
>>49845180
Yeah. Higher charisma and the ability to at least understand sounds good.

If it had too low a charisma it'd probably die due to having no force of will, thus being able to hate very ltitle and thus dying out due to being fueled on the rage they're lacking.

Why doesn't barbarian's rage have charisma-related effects?
>>
File: 1476277250270.jpg (1MB, 1200x1688px) Image search: [Google]
1476277250270.jpg
1MB, 1200x1688px
>>49839544
buys, I need everything you guys have on necromancers, I am about to play my first evil character and I need to be as ready as I can be!
>>
>>49845204
MAD
>>
>>49839636
My group works for a small mercenary/adventurer's guild.

They are getting an assignment to go investigate an old mansion that might be housing a small cult to an old and mysterious god.

The old mansion is pretty spoopy and has some weird going ons and at the end is found out to be a prank by the guild master and his best friend, who happens to be a high level wizard.
>>
File: Leave It.jpg (56KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
Leave It.jpg
56KB, 445x500px
>>49845340
>>
File: necromancer off day.jpg (372KB, 1000x1068px) Image search: [Google]
necromancer off day.jpg
372KB, 1000x1068px
>>49845340
>>
Can you combine catapult with heat metal?
>>
File: Mask Of Winters 3e.jpg (73KB, 560x363px) Image search: [Google]
Mask Of Winters 3e.jpg
73KB, 560x363px
>>
>>49845410
Could you catapult a trinket made with prestidigitation?

Could you catapult a net onto a creature?

Could you catapult a small creature?
>>
>>49845479
>Could you catapult a net onto a creature?

You can, but it'll still do 3d8 damage and cube the average person
>>
>>49845479
I don't know. But about my question tho.
>>
>>49845410
You can heat the metal but it won't do anything
>>
>>49845495
But would it trap a creature in a net or not?
>>
>>49844417

I think you've got your work cut out for you.

Especially the level 3 bonus and the free action bullshit. You're just an incredibly shitty open hand monk.
>>
Does anyone else miss level adjusted races?
>>
>>49845531
Not by RAW, no
>>
>>49845342
It feels like they hate fun when most skills rarely do anything for your character

Paladin is best in this regard with having 5 skills that can potentially be useful.
>>
>>49845531
Depends, your net just took 3d8 too
>>
>>49845573
How many hit points does a net have?
>>
>>49845573
>Depends, your net just took 3d8 too
Bludgeoning. Nets are only damaged by slashing.
>>
File: Renenet Region.jpg (882KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Renenet Region.jpg
882KB, 1024x768px
R8 my starting city's neighbourhood area for the PCs.
>>
>>49845629

An interesting point. I'll have to remember that.
>>
>>49845591
Going by DMG it's extremely unlikely it'd be more than 3d8, I wouldn't say it's resilient and it's probably small or medium
>>
>>49845629
Net golems confirmed for invincible
>>
>>49845642
It's good, I guess? The best map in the world doesn't tell us anything about your DMing ability.
>>
>>49844750
Undying pact in SCAG (?) for all your spooky needs
>>
>>49844590
>>49845550
Alright let's expand on this.

At level 3 when you strike with an unarmed attack you deal your rage damage whether you are raging or not. When you rage, your rage damage is doubled, and when you hit with a melee attack, you can attack again as a free action. This free action attack cannot proc another free action attack.

At level 6 when you hit with an unarmed attack you may push the target 5 feet away. Your unarmed attacks also count as magical.

At level 10 when you are raging and hit with an unarmed attack, all further unarmed attacks have advantage on the same target.

At level 14 your free action unarmed attacks now proc on other free action attacks, but cannot pass 8 total attacks.
>>
File: Worf Laughing.gif (1MB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
Worf Laughing.gif
1MB, 255x255px
>>49845670
>>
>>49845739
No such thing as a free action
Should be something like "when you use the Attack action and hit an enemy with a melee attack, you may immediately make a second melee attack" then I guess add a qualifier about the second attack not using the attack action if you want I guess
>>
>>49844750
It's a level 3 spell, so you only need to dip five levels in wizard.
>>
Could somebody tell me what kind of items Prestidigitation could make? A "non-magical trinket that fits in your hand" could be pretty much anything. Would a vial of oil work? And would it be an actual vial of oil or would it be an illusion? Could I make a dagger and stab someone with it?
>>
>>49845916
Nothing of craftsman ship, I would call nothing over a gold piece.
>>
>>49845916
Playing card, coin, handkerchief...

Things a magician would pull out from behind your ear.
>>
>>49845916
No.
It means stuff like a really tiny kid's toy or a little piece of jewelry.
"Trinket" basically means a not actually useful item.
Maybe have a look at the trinkets table in the PHB for inspiration.
>>
>>49842336

Ellistrae Paladin could be a Silverhair Knight
>>
>>49845916
There is an actual trinket section of the book. Look at that list.

Of particular note are gemstones that look like coal to anyone but you. This still qualifies as a gem for spell material purposes, and nothing is stopping you from using conjured gems to cheese requirements.
>>
>>49845993
I'd like to see someone actually get this past a DM
>>
>>49845739

level 3 is better. level 6 is eh. level 10 is pointless because you already have reckless attack. level 14 is whaaat but probably fine when you remember that the most these attacks are doing is d6s. still, 8d6+(8*Str)+(16*Rage bonus) is a LOT of damage. Barbarians don't do a lot with their bonus actions outside of rage anyways, why not just give them an extra bonus action attack and then add in 2-3 more as they level (depending on how the math works out of course).
>>
>>49844750
I don't think there's any way to do that besides multiclassing like that other anon said. Besides, I think your warlock spell slots are separate from other spell slots, so you can't even use multiclassing to get those short rest skeletons.

I was the one who was kind of talking about it a few threads ago, and the point was supposed to be that they probably didn't give warlocks animate dead because it could turn out to be too powerful even if it would perfectly fit the theme of the Undying Warlock, or whatever the lich warlock is.

Create Undead only has a base cost and the gems don't get used in the spell, so you can at least use them over and over again, even if you can't get any spooky skeletons with it.
>>
>>49846022
I'm a dm, I'd allow it.

I don't get why people get so uptight about things like that.

Anytime somebody makes a balance type ruling, I get the feeling they think this is a pvp game on some level.
>>
>>49845916

I believe there's an entire table for trinkets in one of the books
>>
>>49845739
That's brilliant.
...For people not using unarmed strikes.

>you deal MORE damage, and you get extra attacks and you don't have to be unarmed

Also, seriously

Almost every single thing is 'You get MORE PUNCHING POWER'

That's not how to build a barbarian archetype well

And what is this 'You can hit up to 8 extra times' sort of a thing?
>>
>>49846060
>FREE RAISE DEAD AT LEVEL 1
Even if they pay for spell services this is a 1000gp discount and you are a retard. This isn't balance between players, it's the balance of the game as a whole.
>>
>>49846070
There's actually two, one in the PHB and a "gothic" themed table in Strahd
>>
>>49845916
Right.

Prestidigitation is one of the most frequently misunderstood spells, both in spirit and in execution, in the game. Prestidigitation is a spell designed essentially to let your character perform magic tricks. Its effects are very limited, not very powerful (though genuinely useful) and are limited int hat they have no direct offensive capability. Essentially if it's useful or deals damage, you can't do it.

Some huge number of /r/dnd's 'hilarious' player stories are the result of players constructively misunderstanding prestidigitation and DMs not correcting or limiting them.
>>
>>49846060
I bet you'd allow Pun Pun too if it were possible in 5e.

>Pun Pun, what're you doing, the dragon's destroying our fair village?
>"I'm becoming a god."
>what?
>"The DM's okay with it. I am now so powerful I transcend the game. I punch the DM in the face with my 100,000 strength.
>>
so im trying to find info on a specific god. short of googling his name (and the results all being some sort of wiki, partally copy pasted from the same source) is there any place i can read more about them in general, or even a specific one?

im trying to find out more about Marthammor Duin. my upcoming cleric might be worshipping him (there is a VERY short list of options for tempest in forgotten realms, ALL THREE OF WHICH are evil) if i can talk my dm into putting him back in, since he isnt in 5e

iv found enough that makes him sound like a pretty good option for me, but im curious about specific things, like how "gnomish" his curiosity turns out to be, what his surface temples (since hes the second most worshiped surface dwarf god)
shit like that, i am just not finding
>>
>>49839544
Thinking about making a pole arm tank and wanted to know how to go about it. For sure he's going to be a human variant with either the soldier or city guard background.

I'm debating between a two handed pole arm build or a shield and spear, which is the best weapon choice?

Is Battlemaster Fighter the best choice or should I try the Purple Dragon archetype or go with a Oath of the Crown Paladin?
>>
Rolling a Hill Dwarf Battlerager Barbarian for our 9th level campaign, and bloody hell he looks fun. Battleaxe with versatile grip so I get d10's for damage but can still grapple and axe people. Tempted by Spear/Trident who albiet lower dice, lets me throw them but really I could just pack a handaxe in my pocket. Free 1d4+6 stabs on bonus actions, advantage on strength checks to grapple shove people prone then stab them with advantage. Next turn walk over to someone else and do the same, or dash as either an action or bonus (or both) to cover ground dragging a bitch behind, or just axe axe stab them. All while playing an arrogant brawler dwarf!

Our GM has ruled that to catch up to the party, I can pick two uncommon and one rare magical items but I'm not sure what to pick. He also ruled that any enhancements on my armour also apply to my armour-spike, so +2 armour gives +2 spikes, so that seems to be a no-brainer bonus increasing my low AC to 18 and alleviating the need for the DM to try to include a magical suit of a rather unique and odd armour to the treasure hordes later. If there is anything else worth getting at Rare feel free to point it out to me.

For uncommon, Boots of striding and springing caught my eye, boosting my speed up to 40ft and giving me tripled jump can give me a possible venue of attack against low-hanging fliers since grappled foes fall immedately. A Javalin of lightning, possible flavoured to a Hammer-of-Lightning would be a nice sidearm for ranged targets or a damage surge attack. Cloak of Protection further pushes my AC to 19 and since my build means I won't be reckless attacking every turn, AC actually matters. And naturally, a +1 main-hand weapon seems nice but isn't needed if I plan on using lots of shove-grapple attacks and relying on the auto-3 damage and the armour spikes for my offensive.

Anyone got any other thoughts, input and suggestions?
>>
>>49846079
How are they casting raise dead at level one? If purchasing the services of an experienced spellcaster to do so, why isn't the spellcaster just charging them the gem anyways, using prestidigitation to produce a fake one for the spell, and pocketing the extra thousand guild he just made? What's the level one party going to do, dispute the 9th level caster's opinion on magic?

And why does a good discount necessarily imbalance the game anyways?
>>
>>49846159
Boots of flying. I hate them, but they exist. But striding and springing might work in its stead anyway. Either one of those is good for you.

Cloak of protection is never bad. Not exactly fun, but it's always good.
>>
Prestidigitation is not Wish, Minor

It's Warlock goes busking with magic tricks
>>
>>49845829
Ok I'll just reword that.
>>49846027
I like level 6 cause hitting 4 times is 20 feet of shoving back, which can be useful. It also means that you can get people who need to get out of combat out of there quickly

The level 10 I didn't want to throw something too amazing cause of how powerful the level 3 is. Maybe it could just be you have scaling +1 to +3 to hit.

Level 14 I wanted something unique and that would have just been a flurry of blows. I can make it less attacks like 6, which would bring the damage down and the total shove distance, I just don't want it to be just "flurry of blows but always"

>>49846074
That was just a typo it's meant to be all unarmed. And I'm trying to think of other things to add but favorable conditions are cornered by the monk. I wanted to give an outlet for all the grappling and all that and this would give reasonable damage and the chance to grapple.
>>
>>49846155
Paladin get a hue amount of benefit from Polearm master, since it gives 1 extra attack every turn as a bonus action, and possibly 1 extra attack every turn as a reaction.

Extra attacks mean extra critical hits, and when you crit as a paladin, you can retroactively use a smite, doubled, for massive damage spikes. Additionally as a polearm wielder you'll be soon picking up Sentinel for the defensive cheese, which also gives even more chance for an attack via reaction.

Advantage of the fighter is with extra ASI you can afford to pick up Great-weapon-master wheras doing so as Paladin means you're putting off any stat-boosts until very late. Fighter and especially battlemaster are very good, but I'd personally say Paladin as it adds both more stuff to do in combat, as well as out of combat flavour.

As cool as Shield and Spear is, Polearms are far too good. If you insisted on Shield-Spear I'd go Half-Orc Champion, take Shieldmaster and then bonus-action shove people prone before stabbing them with advantage and higher crit-chance and triple-damage crits. Do more damage with Duelist style, Defend your allies with Protection style, Fend for yourself with Armoured style, Pick two. Very Spartan.
>>
i want to grab action surge on my paladin. is the 2 level dip worth it or should i grab more? what level should i go for it at?
>>
>>49846244
>He hates boots of flying when brooms of flying exist and give full unlimited flight plus carry capacity, both uncommon.
>>
>>49846221
>it's totally okay to introduce free ressurection into the game, it won't ruin the game world or make the players do stupid shit
>players can cast true resurrection for free every day. or multiple times if multiple people know it
>they can just bring back anybody who has ever died in the last 200 years by anything other than old age and probably with wish more than that for shits and giggles

Fortunately, a trinket produced by prestidigitation will not work because it is not worth the value mentioned in the PHB. For example, you need 25,000gp worth of diamonds for true resurrection, and your trinket is worthless.
>>
>>49846265
2 dip is good, as is 4 dip, as is 6dip. I wouldn't go further.
>>
>>49846142
Are you saying that pun pun, a meme that requires explicitly breaking the rules of the game (using NPC templates as character options) and a whole lot of dubious rulings to create an infinite stat infinite spells God is even remotely comparable to using a cantrip to circumvent material requirements for spells?

Just want to make sure i understand your implications.
>>
>>49846289
At least you can be knocked off of a broom, logically.

Boots of flying should have a much bigger restriction than something like 8 or so hours of flight a day or whatever it is, which is pretty much most of the travel time of a day anyway.
I prefer magical items to at least have a minor catch to them.
>>
>>49846265
Get to level 7 (only 6 if you're a filthy vengeance paladin, but then you might as well kill yourself) before multiclassing out.

You don't really need action surge, though. Action surge is better with things such as agonizing blast or extra attack (2 or 3).

You'd do better getting more spell slots instead.

Heck, why not go warlock and get agonizing blast?
>>
>>49846152
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide does list Marthammor Duin, but his domains are Nature and Trickery, and that's ALL the book says about him. SCAG does have some tempest gods that aren't evil, but it also doesn't say much about them either.

>Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 120–121. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
The FR wiki at least lists a source, but I don't think it really says anything more than what you can find online.

Just ask your DM to allow you to use that god with tempest domain, and make up the details to the god yourself with your DM.
>>
>>49846255

I think for levels 6 and 10, you should focus on something that doesn't increase your damage. Either something that gives you more defenses, or something that allows you to interact with the world more. The path doesn't have to be entirely about enabling unarmed strikes.

The problem with your level 14 right now is that it's already flurry of blows except you deal a retarded amount of damage if all of your attacks hit.
>>
>>49846357
yeah 7 is what i was considering. i was also planning on going fighter for the ac from defensive fighting (already have great weapon). my whole party is squishy except for me so what actually got me started on this was planning to try to get tankier.
>>
>>49846324
Well, fine, I was going to pull a less dramatic bullshit, but the other idea was

>pact of the chain warlock
>make familiar invisible
>make familiar hover 5ft over targets and use 'help' action and possibly fly away if needed because unseen targets don't provoke opportunity attacks
>free advantage once a turn to anybody you decide to give it to, familiar is very unlikely to be killed by anything other than auras or really, really angry 'see invisible' people. If it dies, 10gp and a short rest gets it back anyway

Or other things like
'I cast blade ward every waking second of every day simply because I can.'
>>
>>49846305
Value with spellcasting components is just a measure of quality. The prestidigitation spell doesn't specify quality, so the player is free to summon as valuable a gem as they want, it just looks like coal to everyone else.

If you want to complain about high level magic ruining narrative, you're in the wrong brand name. Balance wise, death is as cheap for the antagonists as it is for the pcs.
>>
>>49844750
One level of Cleric can get you what you want, but it requires so much RAW arguing you're better off taking 5.
>>
>>49846428
>This spell is a minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice.
>You create a nonmagical trinket or an iIlusory image that can tit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn

In no way can you use Prestidigitation to create valuable gemstones
>>
>>49846414
You could put 7 levels into EK fighter. Gives you more spell slots for whatever, 'shield' and 'absorb elements' for tanking.
Get GFB/BB and it'll be better than your extra attack, and also it can then trigger war magic for an extra attack anyway.

Though really I'd say
Warlock3/Paladin7/Fighter7

The only stat you'll ever need is charisma.
>>
>>49846456
You totally could create valuable gemstones.
Only, the gemstones would be effectively worthless and thus unusable for the spell as spells measure things by value.

Yes, if you buy all the diamonds then the price of diamonds will increase and thus you'll need less diamonds to cast true resurrection.
>>
>>49846423
The Familiar example is fine, for the help action, and has been confirmed with Sage advice. Any help it wants to give outside of combat will use the helping another rules, and thus must be in things the familiar can logically attempt itself. Blade ward doesn't work well because it requires verbal and somatic components. You can do it, but you won't be able to engage in dialog because you're saying the magic words every second, and people will look at you funny. Also, it involves taking blade ward, which is just a bad decision no matter how you look at it.
>>
Has anyone done any cool heists?
>>
>>49846383
thanks for the tip, retardedly i didnt think to look in scag about him, but like you just said, theres not much of him there

one wiki page lists things in print that he showed up in, but none of them really go into detail of how much they say, just that hes mentioned
i guess il just try to find Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide 4e, Faiths and Pantheons 3e, and Dwarves Deep 2e, or more likely, just make some acceptable stuff up with my dm
>>
>>49845993
I would rule that "anyone but you" includes the spell itself, or whatever deity or planar power is granting the spell. So maybe it really is a gem, but no one, not even the gods, will accept it as such.

Actually, Occam's Razor would suggest that it's really a lump of coal that looks like a gem to you, since that explanation requires only one person to be delusional instead of the entire cosmos minus one person.
>>
>>49846520
By the logic you've applied to blade ward, you can now also use the 'dodge' action every 6 seconds of every waking moment.
This means that all people who have yet to take an action in combat will have advantage to avoid any seen attack, and advantage on all dex saves.

Which is kind of stupid.

The help action isn't confirmed by sage advice to work with invisibilty as far as I'm aware. By RAW, it works. It makes zero fucking sense however how a familiar can use the 'help' action repeatedly while not even doing anything that could ever give its position away. Aside from being overpowered, it's just dumb.
Non-invisible familiars helping is somewhat dumb itself but as long as players view familiars as companions rather than 10gp once-a-short-rest distractions that take a hit or two for you and give you advantage for a round, it's fine.
>>
>>49846456
Nothing you just said has anything to do with the argument.

The argument is that trinkets are defined in the phb. At the very least they include the items listed on page 160 in the phb. One of these items is a gemstone, item number 40.

I'll give you a hint. This actually doesn't work, but not for any of the reasons you morons have come up with yet. So think it over, and after you've done that, ask someone smarter.
>>
>>49846602
>>49846520
>advantage to avoid
I mean, attacks have disadvantage against them.

It'd just be really stupid if everybody constantly used the 'dodge' action just because they could.
>>
>>49846607
So a "minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice" can create valuable gems? Instead of just assuming there's two different meanings or the word trinket?
>>
>>49846057
>

In anon's defense, it's a little retarded that a Lich Warlock can't have undead

It's a third level spells, maybe go on a quest for an item?
>>
>>49846602
Not even going to touch your familiar argument now, as you've basically confirmed you were the guy who had a crusade against it before getting btfo.

Anyways, dodge:. You aren't assumed to be dodging in combat if you don't take actions. Out of combat, I'd probably allow the assumption, but give you a huge penalty to social interactions, and the party experiences the same penalty. People don't like paranoia, or acrobatic maneuvers in conversation.
>>
>>49846111

It's a pretty useful medic and spy trick.

Snuff out candles out light up explosives without needing to aim, sterelize sheets before making a bandage, repair a keep more cheaply by cleaning everything with a finger point.

When I played an Alchemyst proficient with Presti I got some mileage out of it. I could make smelling salts to wake up stabilized people, or wolf pheromones to distract the worg.
>>
>>49846636
Why would I arbitrarily assume there are two different definitions of the word trinket in order to stop my player from using a game tool creatively?
>>
>>49846703
>creatively

*wrongly
>>
>>49846716
You still haven't justified that yet.
>>
best 5e adventure so far?
>>
>>49846681
You can take combat actions such as spellcasting outside of combat. It lasts the same length of time.

Dodging outside of combat would thus mean that if you are caught dodging, the dodge will end on your next turn.

It's not a case of 'if you don't take actions' becase you are taking actions, just not in combat.

You can very easily stop dodging while trying to talk. Many people would understand paranoia when you're the heroes sent to destroy the demon lord and all manner of evil is out to get you.
>>
>>49846731
>You create an instantaneous. harmless sensory effect. such as a shower of sparks. a puff of wind. faint musical notes. or an odd odor.

>You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle. a torch. or a small camptire.

>You instantaneously dean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic fool.

>You chill. warm. or flavor up to I cubic foot of nonliving material for I hour.

>You make a color. a small mark. or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for I hour.

>You create a plot-relevant trinket that can include something with supernatural disguise qualities which are objectively magical or that have immense material value, including letting you cheat your way to high level spells far earlier than the game allows

You think all of these things are equal? Or are you intentionally misinterpreting their use of a common word for a menial object of little to no worth?
>>
>>49846824
I feel you, anon.

There are way too many people in these threads nowadays who seem to think blatant RAW abuse is fine when normally it just means being a shitty player.
>>
>>49846789
I never said you couldn't take combat actions out of combat. Just that I would streamline it. If you drop the dodge in dialog, you might notice more fights happening while you are distracted. Additionally, while people may understand your paranoia, that doesn't stop them from being subconsciously biased against the twitchy hobo.
>>
>>49846860
I blame 3e
>>
>>49846057
What could go wrong with short rest undead minions?
>>
>>49846824

Sure, you can create it

For 6 seconds. Then when it comes the time to cast the spell, the trinket vanishes
>>
>>49846824
Oh finally, you found the one reason it doesn't work. A gem that doesn't look like a gem to anyone but you is obviously magical and prestidigitation specifies non magical.

Other than that, this is totally fine.

Why would plot relevant have anything to do with it though? Are you telling me you wouldn't let a player create a key with prestidigitation of he memorized it, perhaps with the keen mind feat that unlocked a plot relevant door, but you would let them do it for a door that didn't have anything to do with your railroad tracks?

That's retarded.
>>
>>49846868
Well, it's sort of true that it should drop your passive perception, even if it is being a paranoid fuck, since dodge only works against things you can see in the first place.
Likely it'd turn into 'dodge every action the moment you hear or see anything'.

As it stands I think 'using dodge before combat if you think combat is just about to start' is fine, and it'll only help the people with really low initiative, but 'you can do it for as long as you like while you are conscious' should probably be ruled by the DM in some way such as 'most normal people cannot manage this, you must make a twitchy and paranoid character who similarly has some penalties for being twitchy and paranoid to do this'
>>
>>49846926
Prestidigitation used to create a trinket lasts until the end of your next turn. Read.
>>
Minor conjuration can conjure spellcasting components, and this is a valid use of the feature.
>>
>>49846641
I know. Getting it from an item wouldn't really feel like it was your power though, so I'd probably give him animate dead as a long rest ability. No, I have no idea how to actually make it fun.

>>49846902
The warlock doing basically nothing else besides napping while being carried around in a litter by skeletons, and after every hour long nap he would raise another 15 skeletons.
>>
>>49846871
Videogames are to blame too. So many people are getting in to D&D through games like TES and the Witcher and they are used to min/maxing their characters and using every exploit available to them. Dark Souls is the worste example because they were literally like, "Man... I don't want to make a good game, that sounds like work. Lets just make it super hard so players have to use every exploit they can in order to survive. If anyone complain we will just say that THEY are the ones who are wrong because the suck at videogames and want to be babied."
>>
>>49846871
It'll die one day.
>>
>using creativity is now an exploit, and skyrim is ruining the hobby

Hi Virt
>>
>>49847068
I respectfully disagree.
You might as well blame NetHack or other roguelikes if you want to take it in that direction.
>>
>>49846400
Ok, so how about this then.

Level 3, Rage damage on unarmed attack, double rage damage while raging for unarmed. If you hit with unarmed you can immediately attack again.

Level 6: Attacks count at magical, you can instead of making an unarmed attack, raise your AC by half your proficiency until the beginning of your next turn.

Level 10: Strength in knowledge, choose two skills you are proficient in, you use your strength score instead of that skill's ability score.

Level 14: Landing four blows on an enemy in one turn staggers them, giving advantage on all attack rolls against that enemy until the beginning of your turn.

They last one I am not sure about but it's something.
>>
>>49847094
>creativity

Rules lawyering
>>
>>49847042
Anyone who denies that is a salty prick.
>>
>>49847050
I was being sarcastic anon. Obviously there is a problem with that. The only balancing factor on animate dead right now is the cultural taboo that exists in most campaigns. Without that there is nothing stopping casters from just having bag of holding and demi-planes full of pissed off undead that they can just drop like nukes. That's especially true for necromancers... Probably rightfully so.
>>
File: 1268547505165.jpg (28KB, 506x392px) Image search: [Google]
1268547505165.jpg
28KB, 506x392px
Level 3 monk, about to hit level 4. The DM has a hardon for killing characters and I really don't want to die again. I'm thinking about taking the Lucky feat instead of boosting my dex from 16 to 18. I'm convinced that the dex is better for party survival, but personal survival is what I really care about.
>>
>>49847111
More like you resent other people's resourcefulness, because you're not intelligent enough to think of things yourself~
>>
File: gnome art.jpg (146KB, 400x620px) Image search: [Google]
gnome art.jpg
146KB, 400x620px
>>49847094
>a cantrip should be able to create 1000gp components, if you won't let me do this you're a bad DM and I will shitpost on /tg/ about you
CASTER SUPREMACY
How can martials even compete?
>>
>>49847050
>wouldn't really feel like it was your power though

to be fair... Nothing of the warlock is through your own power.
>>
>>49847137
Any child can think of something like that, it takes a real human bean to realize that the fun of RPGs isn't found in abusing RAW exploits
>>
>>49847100
I think NEThack is an example of a game that people got into from a table top tradition not a videogame that got people in to table top games.
>>
>>49847106
By attacking again I mean the follow up attacks cannot proc another follow up attack. So with extra attack you in total get 4 attacks.
>>
>>49847153
>Spellcasting components are relevant when people are able to cast 5th level plus spells

Oh my.
>>
>>49840491
How well do you know your group? I cant RP by myself for shit but I am really good at RPing off other characters
>>
>>49847177
No, it's found in saying "no fuck you" to everything ;)
>>
>>49847137
The gem trinket isn't a 25.000gp gem so it doesn't matter how hilarious you think your exploit is. I hate virt as much as most people who had to deal with his autismal shit, but you're not being smart or clever by bringing player fiat readings worthy of the charop boards to the table, you're just being an ass.
>>
>>49846746
pls respond
>>
>>49847134
Monks need dex more than many others need their stats.

+1 AC, +1 to hit, +1 to damage on every single attack, +1 to sneaky stuff, +1 to dex saves..

That said, lucky might be more fun for you and it's pretty damn good. You don't need to reroll your stuff as much since you get lots of smaller attacks, but it might be nice for saves or whatever.
Still, I'd consider going dex anyway and believe in yourself maybe.
>>
>>49840875
The only thing i miss is tanks being able to actually tank
>>
>>49847233
Strahd right now, finishing storm kings so that one could beat it but I loved Strahd.
>>
>>49847200
>implying rare components aren't more common for higher level spells.
>>
>>49847213
Oh are you a circle-jerker? Because I have no idea who you're talking about, no do I care
>>
>>49847200
>my DM's name is Monty Hall.
>>
>>49847200
>9th level spell needs either expensive or rare component to function

>actually never mind, I just remembered this fucking cantrip lmao
>>
>>49847200
>1000gp is worth 0gp
>ever
Boy, your games sound awesome.
I can have as many magic items and keeps as I want because 1000gp doesn't matter because I got to level 9!
This is even ignoring the fact you can usually pay a higher level caster at a church for healing and resurrection, which the players are also meant to provide components for, the point that started this discussion in the first place. You're saying you could do it at level 1.
>>
>>49847133
It's hard to tell sometimes. But I like that image of some fat blob being carried around by skeletons while he's doing absolutely nothing.

It's true that it can already be exploited to hell and back though. I also like the idea of a necromancer who just stores all the undead he raises in a bag while waiting for the right moment to unleash the hordes of undead he can't even control anymore.

>>49847159
Oh. That's true.
>>
>>49847279

reminds me of that one time where the DM threw us a hag that required "three sisters" to perform a tracking ritual for the BBEG. The DM had this whole questline set up for us to "go save the other gurl" when the druid says "nah, I'll just conjure another hag from a spell"

Right before a long rest too so he didn't even have to sweat so much as an expended spell slot
>>
>>49847321
I guess that's what you get for not specifying or making people roll on the summoning chart like you're actually meant to
>>
>>49847233
Tough call. Ravenloft is a good one, I bought it, but idk if you can really call it 5e since its a remake of a 2e module... Still great though.

PoTA is pretty kool too. Both of these are VERY sandboxy (ESPECIALLY PoTA) which I love, however...

I think OoTA is probably the best. Ravenlofts best way of keeping the characters on track is to basically railroad them when they don't do what you expect (When I ran it I didn't do this and the player immediately blew themselves up by crumbling a tower on their head.) and PoTA seemed to give no indication of what the players were supposed to be doing, or at least how to go about it. (I played in PoTA btw, I didn't run it.)

OoTA is structured enough that the DM doesn't have to railroad the players or fill in what the module is missing while still letting the players do what they want... But PoTA has the mos tplayer content I believe, unless you count SCAG.
>>
>>49839544
New thread >>49847396
>>
>>49847285

If levels nines are an option, you can just wish for a shitload of money you know
>>
>>49847416
Character level nine, not caster level nine
Character level 9 = 5th level spells = Resurrection magic
>>
>>49847376
>not specifying

the purpose was so that we could call on one of all our allies, even though I was the only one actually cultivating friendships from the team
>>
File: 1475603775493.jpg (39KB, 598x369px) Image search: [Google]
1475603775493.jpg
39KB, 598x369px
>>49847068
>blaming dark souls because your group sucks
wew lad
>>
>>49847285
If you're paying a church, the church can charge as much as the Dm wants. Prestidigitation had nothing to do with the price.

>>49847276
Have you read the treasure and encounter guidelines?

A party of four level nines, for a deadly encounter, should deal with a level 11 to 13 cr solo monster, using the new ua as the guide. If this monster is guarding a hoard, typical for an end of quest boss, you roll on the treasure hoard table for cr 11 to 16. This is to generate the recommended reward for a quest that might represent a deadly encounter for the level 9 players. This generates on average 15750gp (pp converted), in addition to a bunch of other stuff. That's enough to fund thirty raise dead diamonds. Spellcasting components are not relevant challenges to be overcome in vanilla 5e, once the players are able to cast 5th level spells.
>>
>>49846159
I like the Javalin, if you've got a +2 armour and a cloak for defence to make up for your AC, then the Javalin at least gives you a "Fun" magic item to use albiet once a day.
>>
>>49846263
>pole
Would Oath of the Crown be good for the Paladin build?
Thread posts: 404
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.